Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour has to face up to the blindingly obvious – the Corbyn b

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,371
    edited August 2019

Which is a point grasped at least by Corbyn, who is offering Article 50 extension and an immediate election with purdah. Alternative suggestions that involve hanging around to run referenda can't fly.

Yes. You need an election to provide a mandate for the 2nd referendum. Cannot and will not happen otherwise. Unicorn.

GNU under anyone but Corbyn is also a unicorn. Labour will block it.

One can argue the rights and wrongs of all of this, but them's the facts.

Stopping Brexit means PM Corbyn.

Sorry.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I just saw a helpful descriptor for Anti-No Dealers who are not prepared to back a Corbyn-led national government. (Hat tip David Allen Green)

"Meat Loaf Remainers"... ("but I won't do that")
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

Chris said:

Jo Swinson is right. It's better to be crystal clear about what is not palatable now rather than in 3 weeks time.

Corbyn is not someone you want negotiating or dealing with anything to do with Brexit. The man has vacillated so much on Brexit that the very dictionary definition of the word 'dither' needs to be re-written.

So if it was either agree to a temporary Corbyn premiership, with LD conditions attached, or watch Johnson push through no deal which would it be?
    It's only a choice if Jeremy Corbyn refuses to help stop a no deal Brexit under a different temporary Prime Minister. Why would he?
    And so ad infinitum.

An endless procession of third-rate politicians, saying "No, you compromise," to one another, until 11pm on 31 October.
    It's not circular. There's a big difference between regarding one potential candidate as unacceptable and regarding it as imperative that only one candidate (yourself) is chosen.
    It's not just one candidate that's unacceptable.

Every candidate will be unacceptable to someone.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    kinabalu said:

Which is a point grasped at least by Corbyn, who is offering Article 50 extension and an immediate election with purdah. Alternative suggestions that involve hanging around to run referenda can't fly.

Quite simply 100% wrong.

Most Labour MPs can't stand Corbyn and would be delighted to have a GONU under an alternative leader.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    Alistair said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

IMO Mike is fundamentally wrong - I live in the sort of seat where the LibDems really need Labour tactical votes and could well win. Up to recently I've known half a dozen Labour voters (two of them members) who were quietly going to do it. None of them are Corbyn fans. They are all alienated by Swinson's tactics, which seem to them to be putting party realignment (which they are at best ambiguous about) before stopping No Deal Brexit (which they are passionate about). She needs to at least seem to be open to a deal with all the Stop No Deal MPs, and when she rejects up to 200 of them out of hand, she is throwing away tactical "Bollocks to Brexit" votes in any election by the bucketload.

It's yet another game of who blinks. Things might look very different as deadline day approaches.

The other side of the coin is that - if Labour is determined to stop no deal and if they accept the GOMOO is simply a letter-writing government - it shouldn't need to be Corbyn (who has hardly been leading the charge) as PM. The Tories supporting such an arrangement are making the biggest sacrifice, and the Tories achieved the biggest minority vote in the last GE, so some elder Tory who is leaving politics would be a reasonable choice.
    As you say, it shouldn't really matter who it is. It's all very well saying the Tories are making the biggest sacrifice, but those Tory MPs and the minor parties have been loudly telling us for months that No Deal will be catastrophic and must be averted. If they really want to stop it, they can. But they are going to need the support of Labour MPs who may be more ambivalent. That's the advantage of Corbyn.

But they need to coalesce behind someone. Anyone. Sylvia Hermon?
    I had Lady Sylvia Hermon added to the Betfair market for exactly this reason. Sadly no one has laid her at 1000 for me yet.

A more serious proposition is Ian Blackford.
    I’m not sure the Lib Dems would support the man who defenestrated Charles Kennedy.
    The Lib Dems can't be too picky. They can reasonably oppose Jeremy Corbyn. They need to show a lot of flexibility after that.
    They are absolutely furious that the SNP defeated Kennedy. In fact many SLab people share their fury. He is a non starter.
    They don't like it up em, sore sore losers.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,465
    Alistair said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

IMO Mike is fundamentally wrong - I live in the sort of seat where the LibDems really need Labour tactical votes and could well win. Up to recently I've known half a dozen Labour voters (two of them members) who were quietly going to do it. None of them are Corbyn fans. They are all alienated by Swinson's tactics, which seem to them to be putting party realignment (which they are at best ambiguous about) before stopping No Deal Brexit (which they are passionate about). She needs to at least seem to be open to a deal with all the Stop No Deal MPs, and when she rejects up to 200 of them out of hand, she is throwing away tactical "Bollocks to Brexit" votes in any election by the bucketload.

It's yet another game of who blinks. Things might look very different as deadline day approaches.

The other side of the coin is that - if Labour is determined to stop no deal and if they accept the GOMOO is simply a letter-writing government - it shouldn't need to be Corbyn (who has hardly been leading the charge) as PM. The Tories supporting such an arrangement are making the biggest sacrifice, and the Tories achieved the biggest minority vote in the last GE, so some elder Tory who is leaving politics would be a reasonable choice.
    As you say, it shouldn't really matter who it is. It's all very well saying the Tories are making the biggest sacrifice, but those Tory MPs and the minor parties have been loudly telling us for months that No Deal will be catastrophic and must be averted. If they really want to stop it, they can. But they are going to need the support of Labour MPs who may be more ambivalent. That's the advantage of Corbyn.

I had Lady Sylvia Hermon added to the Betfair market for exactly this reason. Sadly no one has laid her at 1000 for me yet.

I’m not sure the Lib Dems would support the man who defenestrated Charles Kennedy.
    The Lib Dems can't be too picky. They can reasonably oppose Jeremy Corbyn. They need to show a lot of flexibility after that.
    They are absolutely furious that the SNP defeated Kennedy. In fact many SLab people share their fury. He is a non starter.
    The idea that Blackford is the answer is laughable. He is, rightly, loathed by the LibDems for the campaign he led against Charles Kennedy.

See: https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/brian-wilson-i-couldn-t-let-blackford-re-write-history-about-kennedy-1-4776936
  • Options

Alistair said:

Chris said:

The idea that Blackford is the answer is laughable. He is, rightly, loathed by the LibDems for the campaign he led against Charles Kennedy.

See: https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/brian-wilson-i-couldn-t-let-blackford-re-write-history-about-kennedy-1-4776936

Ha Ha Ha , spoilt brats cannot take a beating, a pox on them. Hopefully wiped out next time, lying cheating nomarks.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906

Roger said:

Roger said:

geoffw said:

Roger said:

OllyT said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Fascinating header Alastair.

....Smelling salts for HYUFD please

Overemphasing tactical voting is also not wise as most voters are not that politically astute, they will vote for the party they support or have always supported, only a minority of generally highly educated voters will tactically vote
    I probably agree with your point re tactical voting, but haven't you missed the whole point of the article otherwise.
    He simply posts whatever factoid best suits his preconceptions without thinking about the article or preceding arguments at all.
    Patronising as ever, not that your 'superior analysis' has ever proved of much use

What is the point in a discussion if you just ignore what others are saying.
    HYUFD .
    Ary all.
    Roger, I do enjoy your effusions, mostly, and reading this article I thought of you. Perhaps you have a view on the idea that the most capitalist of activities has become a slave to right-on nostrums.
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/just-do-it-the-advertising-industry-should-embrace-its-right-wing-roots/
    Thanks for that. He's right that advertising should be at the cutting edge of the of the time but he's wrong to think that to day's zeitgeist is right wing populism. In fact the mood of the age is extreme political correctness and these are our new parameters. If you look at ads from as recently as five years ago some of the sexism makes you wince.

That Saatchi arrived on the scene at the same time as Thatcher and both profited by promoting rampant consumerism tells you nothing other than Saatchis knew how to reflect the the mores of the age not that advertising is a promoter of right wing Thatcherite values.

OT. The other day I posted this in reply to geoffw.

Yesterday I noticed these two rulings under the new ASA code on gender stereotyping

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/14/first-adverts-banned-under-new-gender-stereotype-rules-10562595/
    On the other hand, Get woke, go broke seems to be a real thing:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/commentary/the-cost-of-gillettes-wokeness-revealed-a-noncash-writedown-of-12-billion/news-story/0338fd150d366ca2c759f6889f4bbc33
    It won't let me view it.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,154

kinabalu said:

Quite simply 100% wrong.

Most Labour MPs can't stand Corbyn and would be delighted to have a GONU under an alternative leader.
    Corbyn and Corbyn loyalists have enough numbers to constitute a veto, so it doesn't matter if most Labour MPs are happy with someone else, if Corbyn says No, it's a No.

I think this is a reason not to go for a *Labour* grandee, as they may be an internal threat to Corbyn. Better to go with Ken Clarke, for reasons given upthread, or better Sylvia Hermon, who would have the added benefit of reorienting the narrative around the NI peace process and away from general dissatisfied Remainia.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    kinabalu said:

Yes. You need an election to provide a mandate for the 2nd referendum. Cannot and will not happen otherwise. Unicorn.

One can argue the rights and wrongs of all of this, but them's the facts.

Stopping Brexit means PM Corbyn.

Sorry.
    Indeed. And as has been pointed out, running a referendum will mean being in power for months, in which time the caretaker PM and government will have to deal with events, dear boy, events. There can be no consensus on this.

At least some of those requiring a referendum first might be frit of losing their own seats in an autumn election, and cynically making demands to sabotage it.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

But the stunt is about maximum publicity, and whether you approve or not, has succeeded in that aim - we've been dissecting it continuously on here in a manner far beyond anything a single boot trip justifies.

I think the argument is that "day to day green measures", while not an irrelevance, go nowhere near what is required to address the continuing rise in atmospheric CO2.
    Assuming the scientists are correct (or even assuming a 20% probability they are, given the consequences), we have scant decades to completely re-engineer the globe's energy systems. That is simply not going to happen without the governments of world's largest economies adopting it as a priority, and directing the spending 2-3% of GDP every year for the next three decades to fund it.

That political will is not going to come from within the existing system, absent some very heavy prodding.

+ 1

I sense the anti-Greta sentiment is driven by a feeling that she is a jumped up teenager getting beyond her station.

"Young people speaking their minds" is fine - so long as they don't.
    No - it's fine as long as they are prepared to accept scrutiny without reverting to the 'I'm only a child and therefore cannot be questioned' response.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

geoffw said:

Roger said:

OllyT said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Overemphasing tactical voting is also not wise as most voters are not that politically astute, they will vote for the party they support or have always supported, only a minority of generally highly educated voters will tactically vote
    I probably agree with your point re tactical voting, but haven't you missed the whole point of the article otherwise.
    He simply posts whatever factoid best suits his preconceptions without thinking about the article or preceding arguments at all.
    Patronising as ever, not that your 'superior analysis' has ever proved of much use

HYUFD .
    Ary all.
    Roger, I do enjoy your effusions, mostly, and reading this article I thought of you. Perhaps you have a view on the idea that the most capitalist of activities has become a slave to right-on nostrums.
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/just-do-it-the-advertising-industry-should-embrace-its-right-wing-roots/
    Thanks for that. He's right that advertising should be at the cutting edge of the of the time but he's wrong to think that to day's zeitgeist is right wing populism. In fact the mood of the age is extreme political correctness and these are our new parameters. If you look at ads from as recently as five years ago some of the sexism makes you wince.

That Saatchi arrived on the scene at the same time as Thatcher and both profited by promoting rampant consumerism tells you nothing other than Saatchis knew how to reflect the the mores of the age not that advertising is a promoter of right wing Thatcherite values.

Yesterday I noticed these two rulings under the new ASA code on gender stereotyping

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/14/first-adverts-banned-under-new-gender-stereotype-rules-10562595/

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/commentary/the-cost-of-gillettes-wokeness-revealed-a-noncash-writedown-of-12-billion/news-story/0338fd150d366ca2c759f6889f4bbc33
    It won't let me view it.
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jul/31/gillettes-toxic-masculinity-ad-haunts-pg-as-shavin/

Another link for the 'issue'
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Slackbladder, I heard about that a short time ago.

I think a major problem, beyond the obvious, was that the backlash involved lots of people giving what amounted to free publicity for alternatives, like Harry's, or Dollar Shave Club. So even if someone weren't hugely irked with the 'boys playfighting is toxic masculinity' nonsense, they've got plenty of info on alternatives and people just try new things.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

Corbyn supporters are more interested in getting their man into Downing Street than stopping a no deal Brexit.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1161915099935858689
    This just demonstrates that everything around Brexit is a blame game. You may not like him but at least Boris is doing something positive. Everyone else just wants to talk about what they are not prepared to do to get Brexit through.
    LOL! The arsonist accusing the building of being made of wood!
    What does this mean?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,371

Quite simply 100% wrong.

I think you underestimate the power of the leadership and of the Labour whip.

But if it happens, I will remember to 'hats off' you big style.

Mysticrose = GONU.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

At this point, what is clear is that Boris and No Deal are stoppable. If they fail to be stopped it will be because Labour and Lib Dems failed to compromise with each other (SNP and PC are less of an issue here).

I think it's quite obvious Swinson isn't going to throw her lot in with Corbyn at this stage. Likewise Corbyn isn't going to agree now to standing aside for a Gonu.

But if push comes to shove, one will have to back down. Swinson has less to lose by backing down - she will be punished at the ballot box more by not stopping no deal than by propping up Corbyn (although it will potentially cost them a lot of tory remainer votes at an upcoming election). Corbyn has less incentive to back down - brexit happens on someone else's watch. Yet if he is seen as the reason it happened he risks being blamed as much as the tories for the chaos.

Swinson has the slight advantage though, in that her test comes first. Once she VONCs Corbyn and a Gonu figure is proposed, Corbyn vetoing it will be seen as an act of petty spite. Hard to predict final outcome though.

This is exactly why the option has to be a Remainer tory, in my view. Someone they can both stomach without it threatening their position. There are various candidates other than Ken Clarke. Oliver Letwin, Nick Boles for example. Justine Greening would be great. But Clarke is the standout for me, not least because he's in the sunset of his career. He's not a long term threat to anyone. He can do the job and stand down. What a way to go!
    As Casino said downthread, in order to build a parliamentary majority to find a way out of the mess it is necessary to bring on board groups of MPs that are not dyed in the wool remainers. The most significant group that is currently "uncommitted" if you like is those Labour MPs representing leave constituencies who think that not leaving does not respect the referendum and a few Corbyn loyalists like Ian Lavery. Corbyn can bring those people with him and if they join together with Tory remainers and the smaller parties they will form a pretty solid majority - probably more than 350 MPs. But if this group does not come on board it is much less clear that a majority can be found.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Biden has drifted out to 4.2 since I last looked. Warren fav by a bit now.

Incredibly good looking smart people have been high on Warren for a good while now.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

This is exactly why the option has to be a Remainer tory, in my view. Someone they can both stomach without it threatening their position. There are various candidates other than Ken Clarke. Oliver Letwin, Nick Boles for example. Justine Greening would be great. But Clarke is the standout for me, not least because he's in the sunset of his career. He's not a long term threat to anyone. He can do the job and stand down. What a way to go!

Yes he's definitely one of the best options. Other than him it would have to be someone from a very minor party that doesn't pose a threat to anyone. Ken Clarke also a great choice in terms of selling it to be the public as a good idea. Well liked, moderate, well known etc. Ken Clarke as Gonu PM and no deal brexit stopped seems like the kind of disney happy ending that we are most definitely not on track for however so I'm sure we will somehow end up with no deal brexit and Mark François as PM soon enough!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Ed Milliband?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Shadsy says "Thanks for topping up the Christmas fund...."
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

At this point, what is clear is that Boris and No Deal are stoppable. If they fail to be stopped it will be because Labour and Lib Dems failed to compromise with each other (SNP and PC are less of an issue here).

I think it's quite obvious Swinson isn't going to throw her lot in with Corbyn at this stage. Likewise Corbyn isn't going to agree now to standing aside for a Gonu.

But if push comes to shove, one will have to back down. Swinson has less to lose by backing down - she will be punished at the ballot box more by not stopping no deal than by propping up Corbyn (although it will potentially cost them a lot of tory remainer votes at an upcoming election). Corbyn has less incentive to back down - brexit happens on someone else's watch. Yet if he is seen as the reason it happened he risks being blamed as much as the tories for the chaos.

Swinson has the slight advantage though, in that her test comes first. Once she VONCs Corbyn and a Gonu figure is proposed, Corbyn vetoing it will be seen as an act of petty spite. Hard to predict final outcome though.

As Casino said downthread, in order to build a parliamentary majority to find a way out of the mess it is necessary to bring on board groups of MPs that are not dyed in the wool remainers. The most significant group that is currently "uncommitted" if you like is those Labour MPs representing leave constituencies who think that not leaving does not respect the referendum and a few Corbyn loyalists like Ian Lavery. Corbyn can bring those people with him and if they join together with Tory remainers and the smaller parties they will form a pretty solid majority - probably more than 350 MPs. But if this group does not come on board it is much less clear that a majority can be found.
    Precisely this.
  • Options

I think a major problem, beyond the obvious, was that the backlash involved lots of people giving what amounted to free publicity for alternatives, like Harry's, or Dollar Shave Club. So even if someone weren't hugely irked with the 'boys playfighting is toxic masculinity' nonsense, they've got plenty of info on alternatives and people just try new things.

Two other factors, besides cheaper competitors, is pressure to drop the traditionally higher prices charged to women, and the blindingly obvious fact that a lot more men have beards.

Fwiw, I've recently heard a couple of people raving about the new Philips OneBlade.
  • Options
    If corbyn gets in as PM as 'caretaker' does anyone really think there won't be pressure to do things in other areas which he has power to?

Thats the main reason it should not, and cannot be him.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

Corbyn supporters are more interested in getting their man into Downing Street than stopping a no deal Brexit.

This just demonstrates that everything around Brexit is a blame game. You may not like him but at least Boris is doing something positive. Everyone else just wants to talk about what they are not prepared to do to get Brexit through.
    What does this mean?
    "Boris is at least doing something positive'.

Boris got us into this F*cking mess.

Get a grip!
  • Options

Two other factors, besides cheaper competitors, is pressure to drop the traditionally higher prices charged to women, and the blindingly obvious fact that a lot more men have beards.

Fwiw, I've recently heard a couple of people raving about the new Philips OneBlade.
    I've moved from Gilette to Harry's, just getting them delivered in the post is so easy.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

The whole point of this government would be a single-item government. If it ever happened, the person would need to be seen to be dragged to the chair like the Speaker.

Now there's an idea. I wonder if it's occurred to him as well?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,952
    Does Ken Clarke really want to be the person who actively splits his own party in half over Europe, with himself in the outside grouping?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,447

If corbyn gets in as PM as 'caretaker' does anyone really think there won't be pressure to do things in other areas which he has power to?

A moment's thought tells you it is not viable.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

That applies to everyone. That is why, as Corbyn at least makes clear, it must be extension and election only (with purdah rules). Calls for six-month caretaker governments to run referenda or negotiate with the EU are naive or cynical attempts to sabotage GNU and keep Boris in place (and their own TIG/CUK/LD seats safe till 2022).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997
    Cyclefree said:

Can I just say that, dreary as the rain is for those wanting summer skies, it is a marvel for my garden which is flourishing. I have planted lots of bananas and cannas and other exotics and they are going gangbusters!

It is all roses and peonies and English cottage garden in the first half of the year. Then I get into my sultry Mediterranean mood which keeps everything going until the first frosts.

There - I’m sure that’s cheered everyone up :).

And now, work.

Amazingly, I'm actually getting olives in my garden.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    felix said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

But the stunt is about maximum publicity, and whether you approve or not, has succeeded in that aim - we've been dissecting it continuously on here in a manner far beyond anything a single boot trip justifies.

I think the argument is that "day to day green measures", while not an irrelevance, go nowhere near what is required to address the continuing rise in atmospheric CO2.
    Assuming the scientists are correct (or even assuming a 20% probability they are, given the consequences), we have scant decades to completely re-engineer the globe's energy systems. That is simply not going to happen without the governments of world's largest economies adopting it as a priority, and directing the spending 2-3% of GDP every year for the next three decades to fund it.

That political will is not going to come from within the existing system, absent some very heavy prodding.

+ 1

I sense the anti-Greta sentiment is driven by a feeling that she is a jumped up teenager getting beyond her station.

No - it's fine as long as they are prepared to accept scrutiny without reverting to the 'I'm only a child and therefore cannot be questioned' response.
    The 'scrutiny' mostly seems to be wishing her dead?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2019
    Corbyn's proposal of a temporary government, led by a caretaker PM who happens to be himself, looks to me like a mistake. The reason for this is very simple: it's clearly an idea of some merit in itself, but by using the terms 'caretaker' and 'interim', promising not to implement any Labour policies as this caretaker PM, he has surely left himself open to a completely unanswerable argument: if we're going to have a caretaker PM, supported across parties, surely that person has to be someone who is NOT going to be fighting the next election as leader of one of the parties?

In fact, it's obvious that the best candidate for such a temporary post would be someone who is not even standing as an MP at the next election, so as to be completely untainted by any consideration of personal ambition or partisan calculation. Add to that the fact that Corbyn is one of the most divisive figures in parliament, doesn't even have the confidence of his own MPs, and is the last person that LibDems, independent and Tory MPs might wish to see in No 10, this initiative looks like at best a silly stunt, and probably a trap for himself. He has no answer to the question of why the caretaker PM he proposes shouldn't be a genuine caretaker.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Jonathan said:

Ed Milliband?

EICIPM?

Though in comparison with today's leaders he seems much less C.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. JohnL, don't know enough to say for certain on the products, but women do have different skin to men (slightly). Softer, less tough. Which is more pleasant but I'd guess also more prone to cutting with razorblades.

That *could* be a legitimate explanation for different prices. I've not attempted to shave a woman with my Mach 3, though, so I cannot confirm this.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Those opposed to both Corbyn and Brexit knew precisely who the LoTO was when they voted down the WA.......

I mean mentally you can game this stuff out. Not that I'd expect the average person to do so, but these are MPs. This is their job !
  • Options
    Here's why it wont happen in a single tweet:

https://twitter.com/Sime0nStylites/status/1161907558963208192
  • Options

I've moved from Gilette to Harry's, just getting them delivered in the post is so easy.
    Me too and Gillette were such a rip off, robbery and paying no mark celebrities millions. Good enough for them and I for one would never buy Gillette ever again.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231
    felix said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

+ 1

Greta is to be admired for getting involved. But the sailing to NY is a silly ill-advised stunt. It would have been far more powerful for her to make the speech remotely and make a pointed remark at the start of it that too many people make excuses for why it is necessary to travel to conferences when in a large number of such cases remote communication works just as well.

It would also have embarrassed the important bigwigs keen to be jumping on her bandwagon.

Practical proposals which people can use every day are not the complete answer to climate change but they are something that all of us can do every single day. I'd like to see far more of this than we do and if the young want to make helpful suggestions in this area more power to them.

Sailing on an expensive yacht is not a practical or helpful suggestion. Probably the amount of carbon wasted by all those journalists going to see her in Portsmouth and all the people coming to see her in NY when she arrives plus the carbon used to build the bloody thing will be as great as a flight to NY.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Alistair said:

Incredibly good looking smart people have been high on Warren for a good while now.
    And me.
  • Options
    I think the bottom might have fallen out of the market for jezfest merch.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Extension then election will not provide a stable solution. GONU and sensible fairly run 2nd referendum might. Just look at the issues with an election:
    1. FPTP system with Brexit party could mean Tories + Brexit vote is largest, even > 50% but majority remainer MPs elected. I'm a remainer but democratic legitimacy and future stability is the most important thing now.
    2. Corbyn effect could mean that majority remainer vote is stymied in reverse of problem 1.
    3. Would main parties be able to put forward a convincing 100% clear position?
    4. People collectively do not vote on single issues at a GE.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Can I just say that, dreary as the rain is for those wanting summer skies, it is a marvel for my garden which is flourishing. I have planted lots of bananas and cannas and other exotics and they are going gangbusters!

It is all roses and peonies and English cottage garden in the first half of the year. Then I get into my sultry Mediterranean mood which keeps everything going until the first frosts.

There - I’m sure that’s cheered everyone up :).

And now, work.

Amazingly, I'm actually getting olives in my garden.
    I have figs every year.
  • Options

Here's why it wont happen in a single tweet:

https://twitter.com/Sime0nStylites/status/1161907558963208192

No but it does make a good point that it will be a caretaker government and not just a prime minister. Again, we come back to Corbyn's offer of an extension and election only. This is why Corbyn makes a big point of the purdah rules meaning no active legislation.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

+ 1

That was a vile comment by Banks.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

That applies to everyone. That is why, as Corbyn at least makes clear, it must be extension and election only (with purdah rules). Calls for six-month caretaker governments to run referenda or negotiate with the EU are naive or cynical attempts to sabotage GNU and keep Boris in place (and their own TIG/CUK/LD seats safe till 2022).
    You could have a referendum within 6 weeks if you get agreement on the question or you just rerun the same enabling bill as passed in 2015 with an amendment to have written into law the outcome. I don’t think it will happen and it will be extension then election if they can get their act together.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,853

Alistair said:

And me.
    Me too.

So that should cover most demographics...
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

geoffw said:

Roger said:

OllyT said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD .
    Ary all.

It won't let me view it.
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jul/31/gillettes-toxic-masculinity-ad-haunts-pg-as-shavin/

Another link for the 'issue'
    They were my thoughts exactly. So typical of P&G. They try once in a blue moon to do something different and get it wrong. Their advertising over a vast product range is just painting by numbers.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Ed Milliband?

EICIPM?

Though in comparison with today's leaders he seems much less C.
    Ed Miliband is Labour's William Hague. Often right but wrong about every decision that mattered.
  • Options

Corbyn's proposal of a temporary government, led by a caretaker PM who happens to be himself, looks to me like a mistake. The reason for this is very simple: it's clearly an idea of some merit in itself, but by using the terms 'caretaker' and 'interim', promising not to implement any Labour policies as this caretaker PM, he has surely left himself open to a completely unanswerable argument: if we're going to have a caretaker PM, supported across parties, surely that person has to be someone who is NOT going to be fighting the next election as leader of one of the parties?

In fact, it's obvious that the best candidate for such a temporary post would be someone who is not even standing as an MP at the next election, so as to be completely untainted by any consideration of personal ambition or partisan calculation. Add to that the fact that Corbyn is one of the most divisive figures in parliament, doesn't even have the confidence of his own MPs, and is the last person that LibDems, independent and Tory MPs might wish to see in No 10, this initiative looks like at best a silly stunt, and probably a trap for himself. He has no answer to the question of why the caretaker PM he proposes shouldn't be a genuine caretaker.

If Corbyn wants to be PM, caretaker or otherwise, he can do it by having his Party win an election - and then not being defenestrated or losing a VONC.

Once we've had Brexit.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    edited August 2019
    Chris said:

Precisely this.
    All this positioning is premature in one sense. At the moment the majority of Tory MPs either think Boris Johnson's tactics will work, or think they need to be given a chance. At some point before the end of October, it will become clear that Johnson has failed. That's when we'll get a real sense of the possibilities in parliament.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    nichomar said:

You could have a referendum within 6 weeks if you get agreement on the question or you just rerun the same enabling bill as passed in 2015 with an amendment to have written into law the outcome. I don’t think it will happen and it will be extension then election if they can get their act together.
    I think it safe to say there would not be agreement on the question, so would need to go through the full consolation by the Electoral commission.

https://constitution-unit.com/2018/08/30/how-long-would-it-take-to-hold-a-second-referendum-on-brexit/
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Alistair said:

And me.
    Here's a thought, are the same people who are going to buy into the Wework ipo for their merchant banking job at work to try and flog off for 20% profit in the first couple of hours to some other schmuck the same people buying Andrew Yang shares at 9 cents on predictit.
    Well maybe not the same people, but the same mentality ?

& Yes I too am Long Warren compared to the field.
  • Options

Good point. By defining the role as caretaker only Corbyn has undermined the case for it to be him and no one else, but the fact is that in order to build a parliamentary majority to stop no deal it is essential that the Corbynistas are brought on board. It is absurd for the LDs to pretend otherwise. Coprbyn is going to play a much more significant part in the process than they might wish and they will have to work with him, perhaps not as PM but certainly in a position of considerable power and influence.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Depends what we mean by "nationalised".

The government can own something but it be functionally private, or it can own something and run it fundamentally quite unlike a private company.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Ed Milliband?

You might have stopped posting but at least you haven't lost your sense of humour
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    edited August 2019
    If you’re Jeremy Corbyn, isn’t your likely desired outcome to be seen to try to avert Brexit, but fail because of those evil LibDems and “red Tories”? He then gets a chance of a decent majority post no deal Brexit (which he probably has no issues with anyway) in a crisis environment and with fewer restrictions placed on policy.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,762
    edited August 2019

The government can own something but it be functionally private, or it can own something and run it fundamentally quite unlike a private company.
    Jon's just trolling .... tralaa.

No expectation of being taken seriously on the Indy.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    Think Corbyn has done well to get ahead of the game. It is better politics for him to be the one seen in public to be proposing a solution and the LDs turning him down than vice versa.

Whilst this board has been discussing a GONU or caretaker PM for months, most of the electorate won't have considered it seriously.

Of course Corbyn is not the answer as he is far less likely to get the Tory votes across than virtually any other plausible candidate, but if he is going to try and block any one else he has done well by making it look like others are the blockers.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    edited August 2019
    Such excitement on this board.
    We seem to be assuming that a VONC is a fait accompli.

Is it?

Edit: I have assumed since Boris’s victory that it is the most likely of several unlikely possibilities.
  • Options
    Rather less pro-actively than more active ex-members, my renewal reminder has just come in from CCHQ.

I'm not going to do so.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    "All this means is that there are no downsides for Jo Swinson when she snubs Corbyn’s latest opportunistic initiatives."

There is one major downside. We get No Deal. We certainly do not get Remain. Corbyn and his loyalists could not care if we exited the EU. In fact, I think they want a "Tory No Deal Brexit"
    I do not count John McDonnell in this.
  • Options

Good point. By defining the role as caretaker only Corbyn has undermined the case for it to be him and no one else, but the fact is that in order to build a parliamentary majority to stop no deal it is essential that the Corbynistas are brought on board. It is absurd for the LDs to pretend otherwise. Coprbyn is going to play a much more significant part in the process than they might wish and they will have to work with him, perhaps not as PM but certainly in a position of considerable power and influence.
    To hear Swinson, you'd think the LibDems were something more than the rounding error on democracy....
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Alistair said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

+ 1

One idiot post does not equate to 'mostly'. Let her answer the real questions and lay of the stunts.
  • Options

I thought Brexit meant we were leaving the EU - not being owned by EU governments !
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,031
    I'm flying back to the UK from New York on November 1st - via Amsterdam.

If things are going badly I'm claiming refugee status.
  • Options
    Roy c Paine b Hazlewood 0 (Eng 0-1)

Good job England bat deep....
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited August 2019

It's very simple. It's because he has everyone over the Commons over a barrel. He wins either way: either he gets a Tory-sponsored No Deal and resulting chaos which he can benefit from politically, or he gets to be PM immediately while it all gets sorted out. Meanwhile, he controls the critical voting bloc needed to secure Confidence in anyone bar Boris Johnson as PM.

He doesn't particularly care if No Deal happens, but everyone else does. SO he can legitimately say, "here are my demands, take them or leave them. If You're not prepared to make me PM then clearly you don't think No Deal is as bad an outcome as you say."

It's exactly the right strategy, especially as any other approach legitimises the view that he's not fit to be PM. It'll probably lead to No Deal.

Edit: No Deal is actually a double win for him, because he gets both chaos and the chance to blame it on the LDs.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    The odds on Corbyn are shocking.
  • Options

To hear Swinson, you'd think the LibDems were something more than the rounding error on democracy....
    Exactly a minor party with a handful of MPs.
  • Options

Good point. By defining the role as caretaker only Corbyn has undermined the case for it to be him and no one else, but the fact is that in order to build a parliamentary majority to stop no deal it is essential that the Corbynistas are brought on board. It is absurd for the LDs to pretend otherwise. Corbyn is going to play a much more significant part in the process than they might wish and they will have to work with him, perhaps not as PM but certainly in a position of considerable power and influence.
    I think you and Richard are trying to apply logic to the argument. What if I told you Corbyn and his narrow band of hard core followers would like nothing better than a Tory No Deal Brexit ?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,762
    Struggling with these revolving remainer acronyms.

Gonu is fine.

GOMOO? Government Mostly of Ostriches?

Need a break, Given PB it should be the Flanders and Swann version, but Typhoo will do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1JqMBbJ5hI
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Mr. JohnL, don't know enough to say for certain on the products, but women do have different skin to men (slightly). Softer, less tough. Which is more pleasant but I'd guess also more prone to cutting with razorblades.

That *could* be a legitimate explanation for different prices. I've not attempted to shave a woman with my Mach 3, though, so I cannot confirm this.

They call it the “pink tax” - similar products but marketed at women being more expensive.

An amusing take on the subject (with some occasional bad language, it’s a late night comedy show):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N0jpQfI3wEw
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited August 2019
    But there normal schedule of bookable tickets for the days after that. Could it be an IT glitch or maintenance work?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Corbyn now backing McDonnell on not blocking a Scottish Indepence referendum.
    Makes sense to me , whatever Watson and Swinson say.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,506
    ab195 said:

If you’re Jeremy Corbyn, isn’t your likely desired outcome to be seen to try to avert Brexit, but fail because of those evil LibDems and “red Tories”? He then gets a chance of a decent majority post no deal Brexit (which he probably has no issues with anyway) in a crisis environment and with fewer restrictions placed on policy.

So if it comes to a vote, best for the LDs to go along with it, and watch Corbyn taken down by those in his own team, who hate him far more.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Jon's just trolling .... tralaa.

No expectation of being taken seriously on the Indy.
    Cue Labour's election video of the Saj writing monthly cheques to Angela Merkel and President Macron (who are the only two most voters recognise).

On deeper matters, it is odd that we have never adopted the model of national stakes in private companies. Here an entity is either nationalised or privatised.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    Yorkcity said:

I wonder if this is tactically sound but strategically disastrous.
  • Options

Chris said:

At this point, what is clear is that Boris and No Deal are stoppable. If they fail to be stopped it will be because Labour and Lib Dems failed to compromise with each other (SNP and PC are less of an issue here)

Precisely this.
    All this positioning is premature in one sense. At the moment the majority of Tory MPs either think Boris Johnson's tactics will work, or think they need to be given a chance. At some point before the end of October, it will become clear that Johnson has failed. That's when we'll get a real sense of the possibilities in parliament.
    But will be too late ! Johnson has one thing on his side. Tory Remainers will die wondering...some will do anything to become a Cabinet Minister.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Yorkcity said:

Looks like Labour will lose Edinburgh South their only safe seat in Scotland as Ian Murray goes independent. Not that smart.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

I think this is good politics. If the ultimate result is Scottish Independence, then so be it. If Scots want independence, they should have it.

• Options

nichomar said:

I think it safe to say there would not be agreement on the question, so would need to go through the full consolation by the Electoral commission.

https://constitution-unit.com/2018/08/30/how-long-would-it-take-to-hold-a-second-referendum-on-brexit/
    Strictly, parliament/government decides the question; the EC's remit is the wording of the question
  • Options
    Endillion said:

It's very simple. It's because he has everyone over the Commons over a barrel. He wins either way: either he gets a Tory-sponsored No Deal and resulting chaos which he can benefit from politically, or he gets to be PM immediately while it all gets sorted out. Meanwhile, he controls the critical voting bloc needed to secure Confidence in anyone bar Boris Johnson as PM.

He doesn't particularly care if No Deal happens, but everyone else does. SO he can legitimately say, "here are my demands, take them or leave them. If You're not prepared to make me PM then clearly you don't think No Deal is as bad an outcome as you say."

It's exactly the right strategy, especially as any other approach legitimises the view that he's not fit to be PM. It'll probably lead to No Deal.

Edit: No Deal is actually a double win for him, because he gets both chaos and the chance to blame it on the LDs.
    Precisely.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Given the problems with the proposal of a temporary government, I continue to believe that the legislative route is much more likely. It would be extremely hard for Corbyn to oppose it (and of course Labour did support Cooper-Boles). It's also very much in Labour's interests: leaving Boris as an impotent PM, in office but not in power, unable to prevent his flagship 'do-or-die' pledge from being broken, and with Farage free to join in the rock-throwing, would be a pretty good scenario for Labour in the GE which would inevitably follow soon afterwards.
  • Options

But there normal schedule of bookable tickets for the days after that. Could it be an IT glitch or maintenance work?
    Scheduled brickwork on the line?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,031

Yorkcity said:

Surely the SNP as a remain party would have to vote for Corbyn regardless of any independence referendum?

Either way Cameron and co have managed to screw up both the UK's relationship with the EU and it's internal politics as well.

I don't think the backstop is a long term issue - the pain for Ireland is trying to repair the basket case that is the NI economy on unification.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

I think this is good politics. If the ultimate result is Scottish Independence, then so be it. If Scots want independence, they should have it.

The Labour leadership is all about triangulation to destroy the Lib Dems I think.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Roger said:
    Do young men shave any more? Beards and stubble seem to be the standard these days. Less razors being used...?
  • Options

To be fair to Eurostar, I wouldn’t have opened bookings on that date either, until I had a pretty good idea of what the necessary arrangements need to be.
  • Options

Rather less pro-actively than more active ex-members, my renewal reminder has just come in from CCHQ.

I'm not going to do so.

Apparently I'm remaining a member until next May when my membership runs out.

In the hope I change my mind.
  • Options

Trenitalia? Really? Sounds like naughty bits floating through Nottingham....
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

What does this mean?

Get a grip!
    So the whole of Brexit is Boris's fault?

His power is amazing
  • Options

Given the problems with the proposal of a temporary government, I continue to believe that the legislative route is much more likely. It would be extremely hard for Corbyn to oppose it (and of course Labour did support Cooper-Boles). It's also very much in Labour's interests: leaving Boris as an impotent PM, in office but not in power, unable to prevent his flagship 'do-or-die' pledge from being broken, and with Farage free to join in the rock-throwing, would be a pretty good scenario for Labour in the GE which would inevitably follow soon afterwards.

But the view is that it would be a money motion and hence reserved to government, or alternatively not binding simply making Bozo's job procedurally or politically difficult. Hence GOMOO being top of the agenda.
  • Options

I'm not going to do so.

I may have to join the Fab ex-Tory 4 on PB. Leaving the Labour Party that is. I have begun writing my resignation letter. Since I live in Surbiton, it makes little practical difference.
    I would like a swap deal with a Lib Dem in a Tory-Labour marginal.
  • Options

Agreed.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Better with a large amount of SNP than a handful of Lib Dems
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Jo Swinson is right. It's better to be crystal clear about what is not palatable now rather than in 3 weeks time.

Corbyn is not someone you want negotiating or dealing with anything to do with Brexit. The man has vacillated so much on Brexit that the very dictionary definition of the word 'dither' needs to be re-written.

So if it was either agree to a temporary Corbyn premiership, with LD conditions attached, or watch Johnson push through no deal which would it be?
    It's only a choice if Jeremy Corbyn refuses to help stop a no deal Brexit under a different temporary Prime Minister. Why would he?
    And so ad infinitum.

An endless procession of third-rate politicians, saying "No, you compromise," to one another, until 11pm on 31 October.
    It's not circular. There's a big difference between regarding one potential candidate as unacceptable and regarding it as imperative that only one candidate (yourself) is chosen.
    It's not just one candidate that's unacceptable.

Every candidate will be unacceptable to someone.
    Well that gives it legs. The hunt for the candidate who is not unacceptable to anyone. It might also draw attention away from Johnson's tedious attention seeking
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

What does this mean?

Get a grip!
    So the whole of Brexit is Boris's fault?

His power is amazing
    Not the whole of it but he did

i) Co-lead the official leave campaign.
    ii) Trashed the WDA when it arrived in parliament
    iii) Is now PM.

So he's more responsible than most for the current situation I'd have to say.
This discussion has been closed.