Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New party grouping, Unite to Remain, will make BJohnson’s autu

Comments

• Options

Get over yourself.

We have 50p coins for everything now and I know lots of people who love to collect them whether it be the Olympics, Peter Rabbit or whatever else you can think of. Why not this?
    Well, you could start with the fact that 48% of the public don't agree with what you are celebrating on their national coinage.
    I couldn't care less. 48% of the country may not like Jemima Puddle-duck.

This is a moment in our countries history. If people don't want this coin they don't have to collect it.
  • Options

Is this a political betting site or is it a party political broadcast on behalf of the 'Remain' Party (aka the Lib Dems)

Here's a thought guys - Boris might actually be doing what the majority of the population voted for in a referendum. How about that for a thought...

I note also considerable hedging of bets by Smithson.

The site tends to ebb and flow - like you I find the unremitting flow of articles at the moment less than entertaining, or educational. For what it is worth I imagine the post-election scenario is likely to be uniformly bleak for all the parties in this LD hubub.

Any election will be determined by differential turn-out. I am not convinced that Farage is good at getting his vote out - Boris is perhaps better. Any collusion talks on the left will be prayed in evidence that the same has to happen on the Leave side.

I am at a loss as to how that can be done without some sort of a coupon for approved Leave candidates. The logic of that would be there would be seats where there were no Brexit or Tory candidates. An agreement on the Leave side that is accepted as such in the wider electorate will ensure a massive Leave victory. No such agreement and the Leave cause will have much greater difficulty.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Afternoon all :)

An interesting if not wholly unexpected development. There are of course dozens of seats where no amount of "cross party collaboration" is going to matter - East Ham being one. I do think a combined LD/Green "Remain" has a sniff of taking second from the Conservatives and should save a deposit at the very least but Stephen Timms is unlikely to be prised loose from his hyper-marginal 40,000 majority so easily.

What it may emphasise is the unbalanced nature of tactical voting. We know Labour voters are far more willing to lend their to LD or Green candidates in seats where the Labour candidate has no chance than vice versa and Labour are going to get the worst end of that.

A further aside is the latest YouGov poll reduces the gap between Conservatives and Lib Dems from 35 points to just 10 which is a uniform swing of 12.5%. Add on Labour tactical votes and in some areas much higher swings are on offer (15-20% perhaps).

In 1997, as @HYUFD and others will no doubt remember, thr willingness of Labour voters to vote LD against a sitting Conservative delivered 30 LD gains but the willingness of LD voters to vote Labour against a sitting Conservative led to many more Labour gains and built the Blair landslide but there were seats where a possible LD gain was derailed by the Labour candidate coming from third and taking the seat.

The role of BP is also significant - back in 1997 Goldsmith's Referendum Party polled 2.7% and had only a minor impact. BP polling 10-12% nationally (much higher in LEAVE areas and much lower in REMAIN areas) will have a much bigger impact - again, not in East Ham but elsewhere.

As an aside, the Lab-LD swing is 15.5%. The degree to which Conservative voters would vote LD to beat a Labour candidate hasn't been tested. The geographic distribution of its vote gives Labour much more security against a low vote than would be enjoyed by the Conservatives.

Just for fun, transpose the latest YouGov polls for the Conservatives and LDs - the real poll gives a majority of 47 for Johnson but the transposed numbers turn out a 74 majority for Jo Swinson.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Not really as as long as this Remain alliance excludes Labour it will split the centre left vote in Tory Labour marginal seats enabling the Tory candidate to win and the Tories to gain Labour Leave seats even if it sees the LDs win a few more Tory LD marginal seats

Agreed B Johnson wins big as it stands with Lab @ Lib Dems on 20% .
    Yes, Boris has stopped most of the leakage of Tory voters to the Brexit Party but Corbyn Labour is still leaking voters to the LDs
    Bozo has caused a cascade of voters switching from Tory to LibDem. Plus more than a trickle of party members from the One Nation wing jumping ship.

You might see this as a good thing.
    No, Yougov this week had Boris retaining 68% of the 2017 Tory vote, with 20% going to the Brexit Party and 9% to the LDs.

Corbyn is only retaining 53% of the 2017 Labour vote in the same poll

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/08/voting-intention-con-31-lab-22-lib-dem-21-brex-14-
    Even in that poll you will have to put the LDs and the Greens together with a little sprinkling from Labour in Tory seats. That tells me the Unite to Remain will also be around 30%.
    Splitting the anti Tory vote with Labour under FPTP and ensuring the Tories win as they are on 31% nationwide in the same poll.
    If the Remain alliance is wise it will will only stand against pro-Brexit Tories and Labour MPs. If they do that their impact could be considerably greater than you expect
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    There are lots of special £2 coins too. I collect those.

The EU ones might be especially valuable as I can see pro-EU types deliberately binning them and suchlike, reducing the number in circulation.

And if we return, the same could happen with anti-EU types.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,993

Scott_P said:
    It was sadly inevitable that in the end the EU would be blamed for the economic collapse we are about to inflict on ourselves.

I mean the EU has been blamed by the right of the conservative for every single thing that is wrong with Britain for years.
    And when things get worse that will be taken as conclusive evidence.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114
    Scott_P said:
    Ah the famous Post Brexit 40p piece has arrived.
  • Options

Is this a political betting site or is it a party political broadcast on behalf of the 'Remain' Party (aka the Lib Dems)

Here's a thought guys - Boris might actually be doing what the majority of the population voted for in a referendum. How about that for a thought...

The site tends to ebb and flow - like you I find the unremitting flow of articles at the moment less than entertaining, or educational. For what it is worth I imagine the post-election scenario is likely to be uniformly bleak for all the parties in this LD hubub.

Any election will be determined by differential turn-out. I am not convinced that Farage is good at getting his vote out - Boris is perhaps better. Any collusion talks on the left will be prayed in evidence that the same has to happen on the Leave side.

I am at a loss as to how that can be done without some sort of a coupon for approved Leave candidates. The logic of that would be there would be seats where there were no Brexit or Tory candidates. An agreement on the Leave side that is accepted as such in the wider electorate will ensure a massive Leave victory. No such agreement and the Leave cause will have much greater difficulty.
    There's nothing to stop you or Basicbridge or anyone else supportive of the Government putting a piece forward for inclusion by OGH. Grumbling and whinging on the sidelines that the site doesn't represent your views is typical right-wing snowflake behaviour.

The old adage the only pieces more boring than those hostile to the Government are those supporting the Government is there to be tested.

Why not explain why a bet on a Conservative majority at the next GE (currently rated as a 31% probability by Baxter) is a good bet. Currently 7/4 with Bet365 yet the Conservatives are 10 points ahead - surely this is free money?
  • Options

Get over yourself.

We have 50p coins for everything now and I know lots of people who love to collect them whether it be the Olympics, Peter Rabbit or whatever else you can think of. Why not this?
    Well, you could start with the fact that 48% of the public don't agree with what you are celebrating on their national coinage.

This is a moment in our countries history. If people don't want this coin they don't have to collect it.
    Remainers don't use cash anyway.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Shouldn't we be printing special Brexit ten bob notes?

50p coins have a modern quisling feel that rather clashes with the spirit of the project.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,642
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Second. And US media reporting Epstein suicide.

Well I doubt Prince Andrew and Bill Clinton will be too heartbroken this afternoon, he takes a lot of secrets to the grave
    Donald Trump was chummy with Epstein too, amongst other paedophiles such as John Casablancas. Casablancas ran the Elite Modeling Agency where he signed Ivanka Trump.

Though it may well be that the death of Epstein like Saville allows the truth out rather than conceals it.
  • Options
    stodge said:

There's nothing to stop you or Basicbridge or anyone else supportive of the Government putting a piece forward for inclusion by OGH. Grumbling and whinging on the sidelines that the site doesn't represent your views is typical right-wing snowflake behaviour.

The old adage the only pieces more boring than those hostile to the Government are those supporting the Government is there to be tested.

Why not explain why a bet on a Conservative majority at the next GE (currently rated as a 31% probability by Baxter) is a good bet. Currently 7/4 with Bet365 yet the Conservatives are 10 points ahead - surely this is free money?
    With Bet365 rating it a 36.36pc chance as opposed to Baxter's 31pc surely that is the opposite of a value bet???
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

50p coins have a modern quisling feel that rather clashes with the spirit of the project.

Better still, let's go bach to pounds, shillings and pence!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited August 2019
    Sean_F said:

For this to work, they need to form an electoral pact with Labour. An electoral pact between the Lib Dems and Greens will make very little difference.

Indeed - and that will certainly not happen. Moreover, voters for particular parties cannot be moved around like pieces on a chessboard at the dictat of party leaders. Many Green voters will decline to vote LibDem or Plaid regardless. The campaign also assumes that people are far more obsessed with Remain and Leave than is likely to be the case.
  • Options
    JSpringJSpring Posts: 97

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Not really as as long as this Remain alliance excludes Labour it will split the centre left vote in Tory Labour marginal seats enabling the Tory candidate to win and the Tories to gain Labour Leave seats even if it sees the LDs win a few more Tory LD marginal seats

Yes, Boris has stopped most of the leakage of Tory voters to the Brexit Party but Corbyn Labour is still leaking voters to the LDs
    Bozo has caused a cascade of voters switching from Tory to LibDem. Plus more than a trickle of party members from the One Nation wing jumping ship.

No, Yougov this week had Boris retaining 68% of the 2017 Tory vote, with 20% going to the Brexit Party and 9% to the LDs.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/08/voting-intention-con-31-lab-22-lib-dem-21-brex-14-
    Even in that poll you will have to put the LDs and the Greens together with a little sprinkling from Labour in Tory seats. That tells me the Unite to Remain will also be around 30%.
    Splitting the anti Tory vote with Labour under FPTP and ensuring the Tories win as they are on 31% nationwide in the same poll.
    The idea that all LD voters will still vote LD when they are in open/covert alliance with Labour is entertaining and will certainly cost the LDs several of the seats they hold at present.
    And it could also cost Labour a few seats as well.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,615
    edited August 2019

Get over yourself.

So was, say, the election of Blair in 1997.
    Should he have had a coin ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

Blair got less votes than Major in 92 and won only 43.2pc of the vote, so no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options

kinabalu said:

That must be on the agenda, straight after hanging and before the reintroduction of the ducking stool.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226

kinabalu said:

Stop giving the ERG more things to demand.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

Maybe. Certainly many of his events and policies could as this isn't about an individual it is a nice commemorative message.

If you think "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" is not a message you want to be associated with then so be it.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

Maybe. Certainly many of his events and policies could as this isn't about an individual it is a nice commemorative message.

If you think "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" is not a message you want to be associated with then so be it.
    The coin could have a picture of my mum on it, if it's celebrating the unholy load of old bollocks that is Brexit I will still be defacing every one I come across.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,125
    A pact between the LDs and the Greens in Rees-Mogg's seat should certainly assure the pro-Remain unity candidate of a solid third place, because those two parties notched up all of 10.6% between them at the last election.

Sometimes the uselessness of the Remainers is almost as maddening as the stupidity of the Leavers.
  • Options
    Tottenham 1.38
    Aston Villa 10
    Draw 5.5

We should be backing Tottenham at that price shouldn't we?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,642
    Chris said:

A pact between the LDs and the Greens in Rees-Mogg's seat should certainly assure the pro-Remain unity candidate of a solid third place, because those two parties notched up all of 10.6% between them at the last election.

Sometimes the uselessness of the Remainers is almost as maddening as the stupidity of the Leavers.

Lib Dems did well in Nth Somerset in the Locals and in Euros as I recall.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

The coin could have a picture of my mum on it, if it's celebrating the unholy load of old bollocks that is Brexit I will still be defacing every one I come across.
    That's rather pathetic.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

Also latest Scottish numbers from Yougov yesterday give SNP 39%, Tories 23%, LDs 14%, Slab 12% so Tories would hold 8 out of 13 of their Scottish seats ie a majority on UNS, though SLab would lose all their Scottish seats to the SNP bar Edinburgh South

The thing is that I could see a SNP/Lib alliance in the lab/tory held seats could do a lot of damage
    There is one key problem with that: in 100% of lab/tory held seats, the SNP are in second place. Are you asking the SLDs to stand aside in all those 20 seats? I’m sure the SNP would be delighted, but Rennie would tell you to f off.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited August 2019
    Greens and Plaid are being sucked in by the Lib-Dems.

The fall out will be spectacular when it happens! :D
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

If the Remain alliance is wise it will will only stand against pro-Brexit Tories and Labour MPs. If they do that their impact could be considerably greater than you expect
    True, however I do not think that will be the case.
    Partisanship will overcome any remain alliance, splitting the vote at a GE.
    Giving Johnson a healthy majority.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Back to the topic, arrangements like this are a bit silly. Gaming the system to gain a short term advantage isn't especially productive. You really need to win the argument if you want to win elections.

But I guess it can't do any harm. And right now with opinion so evenly balanced it just might make a difference.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616

kinabalu said:

I did launch a petition calling for that on the government website some years back but sadly only around a dozen people signed it.

Yes, I was taking the piss.
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

Also latest Scottish numbers from Yougov yesterday give SNP 39%, Tories 23%, LDs 14%, Slab 12% so Tories would hold 8 out of 13 of their Scottish seats ie a majority on UNS, though SLab would lose all their Scottish seats to the SNP bar Edinburgh South

The thing is that I could see a SNP/Lib alliance in the lab/tory held seats could do a lot of damage
    There is one key problem with that: in 100% of lab/tory held seats, the SNP are in second place. Are you asking the SLDs to stand aside in all those 20 seats? I’m sure the SNP would be delighted, but Rennie would tell you to f off.
    The LDs can have their fun with the little party of wales - but a pact with the SNP would surely be the death of them.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

It’s not a message many associate Brexit with.
    And for a good half the population, it’s taking the piss.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    The Brexit 50p feels like a misjudgement - Leavers stamping their authority on the present as they crush and humiliate those on the losing side. Next they'll be proposing a national holiday on the anniversary of Boris's succession. Presumably this is all part of Cummings's plan to reshape society and its institutions in his own image.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

That's rather pathetic.
    I'll enjoy it. You'll have your pathetic English nationalist act of self harm to enjoy, you can't begrudge me my small acts of catharsis.
  • Options

Back to the topic, arrangements like this are a bit silly. Gaming the system to gain a short term advantage isn't especially productive. You really need to win the argument if you want to win elections...

The two major parties have been gaming the system for the best part of a century.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Scott_P said:
    Who uses coins anymore?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

The librae, solidi and denarii derive from the Roman Empire so perhaps not the most appropriate :wink:
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Who uses coins anymore?
    If you collect 5 nuggets you can exchange them for a pint.

Remember every true Scot-

#Carling4Tennents4indyref2
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Chris said:

Perhaps they might break through into second place, but really suggesting they could win from third place and 8.3% is not good expectation management.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Who uses coins anymore?
    I know right? Being a member of the left liberal elite I store mine up, and when I have enough I melt them down and use the molten alloy to produce a work of avant-garde sculpture.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Who uses coins anymore?

Would a pint of Guinness be OK, or is that also banned along with the Irish flag?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Who uses coins anymore?

Would a pint of Guinness be OK, or is that also banned along with the Irish flag?
    Are you Scottish? I'm not sure; I'll have to think about that one.

If you're English there's an alternative hashtag-

#Bourbon4Scotch4indyref2
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Who uses coins anymore?

#Bourbon4Scotch4indyref2
    Okay, I've adjudicated.

As long as you're making the switch from Tennents - then Guinness is begrudgingly allowed.
  • Options

The Brexit 50p feels like a misjudgement - Leavers stamping their authority on the present as they crush and humiliate those on the losing side. Next they'll be proposing a national holiday on the anniversary of Boris's succession. Presumably this is all part of Cummings's plan to reshape society and its institutions in his own image.

You're getting all that out of a commemorative coin for Brexit?
  • Options

With Bet365 rating it a 36.36pc chance as opposed to Baxter's 31pc surely that is the opposite of a value bet???

Baxter isn't a bookmaker - Bet365 may not be very good bookmakers but they will accommodate you at 7/4. If you are an exchange player, you can back a Conservative overall majority at 3.05 (£62 in so far) with Betfair.

The experience of 2017 hangs heavy on these markets - the Conservatives were 1/7 to win an overall majority last time and that ended well for those laying off the bet.

• Options

There are lots of special £2 coins too. I collect those.

The EU ones might be especially valuable as I can see pro-EU types deliberately binning them and suchlike, reducing the number in circulation.

And if we return, the same could happen with anti-EU types.

I can't see any sterling denominated coin being "especially valuable" if they go ahead with this act of lunacy.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The Brexit 50p sounds like a press release more than a misjudgement. What is the lead time on new coins?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Scott_P said:
    Who uses coins anymore?
    I do when paying to park the car.
    It is bloody expensive, in York City centre.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Scott_P said:
    You just knew Javid's first action would be something this naff.
  • Options

If you think "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" is a "crushing and humiliating" message then you have my sympathy suck it up, buttercup.

If society and institutions are to be reshaped in the image of "peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" then I am OK with that.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Baxter isn't a bookmaker - Bet365 may not be very good bookmakers but they will accommodate you at 7/4. If you are an exchange player, you can back a Conservative overall majority at 3.05 (£62 in so far) with Betfair.

The experience of 2017 hangs heavy on these markets - the Conservatives were 1/7 to win an overall majority last time and that ended well for those laying off the bet.

Yes I know what baxter is - it's just that if it's getting used for reference then it's not a value bet.

Bet365 are very good bookmakers in my experience - almost always offering better prices than the traditionals.

Ms Brisk made money on 2017 by getting the tory seat range correct on betfair.

As to the bet in question - I do not know if it's value or not.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

The librae, solidi and denarii derive from the Roman Empire so perhaps not the most appropriate :wink:
    Well, it wouldn't be the currency for long. We'll be down to barter pretty soon.
  • Options

If you think "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" is a "crushing and humiliating" message then you have my sympathy suck it up, buttercup.
    I say again, I don't believe you're as much of a moron as you pretend to be. No one could be.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Will the new British passport attract tariffs after no deal Brexit?
  • Options
    Chris said:

I say again, I don't believe you're as much of a moron as you pretend to be. No one could be.
    That's not very nice! :open_mouth:
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Who uses coins anymore?

#Bourbon4Scotch4indyref2
    No, I'm English. And I'm definitely not going to drink that American rubbish in place of a single malt.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    UKIP are just in it for the laffs now, aren't they?

https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/1160189228719968257?s=20
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    “Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations”

Sounds like a John Lennon song.

Does it include nations we’re at war with?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Chris said:

That's not very nice! :open_mouth:
    Hmm. Remember the old story about the MP who had to retract his statement that half the Cabinet were asses?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    alex. said:

Will the new British passport attract tariffs after no deal Brexit?

Depends on if there is tariff on Printing & Stationery. Most of the high tariff are on food.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited August 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Wow! If true, that’s pretty price sensitive information.

I do hope those in government (civil servants and Ministers and all their aides) have been told of their obligations in regard to such information. It would be most unfortunate - not to mention criminal, wouldn’t it, if anyone were to use that information to do some timely trading.
  • Options

UKIP are just in it for the laffs now, aren't they?

https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/1160189228719968257?s=20

Dick Braine?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Who uses coins anymore?

#Bourbon4Scotch4indyref2
    No, I'm English. And I'm definitely not going to drink that American rubbish in place of a single malt.
    Can you think of any suitable substitutes?

You know the game right - we're trying to stop the Scottish Groat in it's tracks.

• Options
    BTW this 50p coin is outrageous.

It should include the word 'Sustainability'.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    edited August 2019

If society and institutions are to be reshaped in the image of "peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" then I am OK with that.
    Considering the Leavers' agreed line is that No Deal will screw the EU just as much, if not more, than us, then the 'prosperity and friendship with all nations' bit is downright Orwellian.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited August 2019
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

It won't be in Labour v Tory marginal seats, it will just let the Tories win by splitting the centre left anti Tory vote unless the LDs get a clear lead over Labour in the national polls as the main centre left alternative to the Tories.

The Remain Alliance and LDs are quite clear they will not do any pacts with Labour while Corbyn is leader so that means they will stand a LD or Green candidate in every seat where the Tories and Labour comprised the top 2 parties in 2017, they will only ensure a Green candidate does not stand in a Tory or Labour v LD marginal where the LDs are better placed and a LD candidate does not stand in a Tory or Labour v Green or Plaid seat where the Greens or Plaid are better placed

• Options

Scott_P said:
    Who uses coins anymore?

#Bourbon4Scotch4indyref2

You know the game right - we're trying to stop the Scottish Groat in it's tracks.

How about Irish malt?
  • Options
    Okay - see you all at half-time ; if I'm not sulking again.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Who uses coins anymore?

#Bourbon4Scotch4indyref2

How about Irish malt?
    I guess it'll have to do - let's not make the best the enemy of the good or whatever Cleggster used to say
  • Options
    alex. said:

Coming soon. More commemorative coins:

The Black Death. Motto: Health, Wealth and Happiness!

The Great Stink of London. Motto: That which we call a Rose ...

The Dark Ages. Motto: Give Us Time, We're Working On It ...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109

Considering the Leavers' agreed line is that No Deal will screw the EU just as much, if not more, than us, then the 'prosperity' and 'friendship with all nations' bit is downright Orwellian.
    Weirdly it seems to be our close neighbour and erstwhile constituent part, Ireland, that they most want to see stuffed up the hooha.

'Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations except the Murphys'
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

It won't be in Labour v Tory marginal seats, it will just let the Tories win by splitting the centre left anti Tory vote unless the LDs get a clear lead over Labour in the national polls as the main centre left alternative to the Tories.

The Remain Alliance and LDs are quite clear they will not do any pacts with Labour while Corbyn is leader so that means they will stand a LD or Green candidate in every seat where the Tories and Labour comprised the top 2 parties in 2017, they will only ensure a Green candidate does not stand in a Tory or Labour v LD marginal where the LDs are better placed and a LD candidate does not stand in a Tory or Labour v Green or Plaid seat where the Greens or Plaid are better placed

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/1159808784711266309?s=20
  • Options

Back to the topic, arrangements like this are a bit silly. Gaming the system to gain a short term advantage isn't especially productive. You really need to win the argument if you want to win elections.

But I guess it can't do any harm. And right now with opinion so evenly balanced it just might make a difference.

If Remainers vote seat by seat for whichever party is best placed to take it and is not Con or BP then Corbyn is off to the palace and Johnson can get back to just being Boris Johnson and we will not be partaking of Brexit.

But that is 'FIFA Election 19' with graphics like you've never seen rather than a real flesh & blood UK general election.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    re "when it is hoped that the three parties will be able to work out which will stand in each of the 30 Welsh constituencies"

Ceredigion seems a huge sticking point in these discussions.
    Plaid's Ben Lake beat the (sitting) Liberal MP Mark Williams by just 104 votes in 2017, and Mark Williams was chosen in March to be the Liberal PPC for Ceredigion for the next election.

Its possible they might divi up the other 29 seats, but its hard to see either Ben Lake or Mark Williams standing aside for the other.

• Options
    Chris said:

alex. said:

Presumably instead of an image of the Monarch, they bear the Four Horses of The Apocolypse.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Chris said:

alex. said:

I think you're being ridiculous but that did make me LOL and spit out my tea so I gave you a "Like" anyway. :D
  • Options
    llef said:

re "when it is hoped that the three parties will be able to work out which will stand in each of the 30 Welsh constituencies"

Plaid's Ben Lake beat the (sitting) Liberal MP Mark Williams by just 104 votes in 2017, and Mark Williams was chosen in March to be the Liberal PPC for Ceredigion for the next election.

Its possible they might divi up the other 29 seats, but its hard to see either Ben Lake or Mark Williams standing aside for the other.

No, whichever of Plaid or the LDs win Ceredigion will still have an anti Brexit Remainer MP so no need for the Remain Alliance there
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    edited August 2019
    llef said:

It's not 'hard' to see it. It's 'impossible.'

However, since one of the two will win it doesn't matter.

To be candid, I'm struggling to think of any seats in Wales where it might make a difference. Anglesey possibly, but that's a funny seat and doesn't conform to classic norms. Cardiff Central might be a better bet, but that's a Lib Dem target. The problem is that there is only Anglesey where Plaid have any chance of gaining anything and in that seat the LD vote is negligible, while in Montgomeryshire or Cardiff Central Plaid's endorsement would make no difference whatsoever.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited August 2019

Get over yourself.

It’s nothing to celebrate its worth 15% less than it used to and they need to print a damn site more than 50p’s to get themselves out of the coming mess
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Chris said:

alex. said:

I think you're being ridiculous but that did make me LOL and spit out my tea so I gave you a "Like" anyway. :D
    Thank you. We may as well just laugh now.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Scott_P said:
    Who uses coins anymore?
    I know right? Being a member of the left liberal elite I store mine up, and when I have enough I melt them down and use the molten alloy to produce a work of avant-garde sculpture.
    Best comment in a while. Bravo. 👏
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Considering the Leavers' agreed line is that No Deal will screw the EU just as much, if not more, than us, then the 'prosperity' and 'friendship with all nations' bit is downright Orwellian.
    Weirdly it seems to be our close neighbour and erstwhile constituent part, Ireland, that they most want to see stuffed up the hooha.

'Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations except the Murphys'
    Well, that's one interpretation of the EU's negotiating stance....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,000
    I'm currently in the Department of Motor Vehicles, renewing my driving license. It is the greatest social leveller. You can be Tim Cook, or Michael Bloomberg, or the most humble undocumented migrant, and you'll be waiting on the same queue, in the same uncomfortable chairs.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm currently in the Department of Motor Vehicles, renewing my driving license. It is the greatest social leveller. You can be Tim Cook, or Michael Bloomberg, or the most humble undocumented migrant, and you'll be waiting on the same queue, in the same uncomfortable chairs.

You cant do it online?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited August 2019

You mean Smirky McSmirkface as Marina Hyde calls him?

PS a must read for anyone who missed it..........

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/09/dominic-cummings-boris-johnson-brexit
  • Options

I actually don't see why not. Tourists would find that very sweet - especially American ones. Good for the brand.

Millennial snowflakes might whinge a bit but, you know, cry me a river.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

You are Prince Charles and I claim my £5
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Get over yourself.

It’s nothing to celebrate its worth 15% less than it used to and they need to print a damn site more than 50p’s to get themselves out of the coming mess
    I think we now have it from the mouth of one of the Four Horsemen of Brexit that the dollar value of this coin will soon be worth approximately 31p compared with its pre-referendum value - not allowing for the effect of inflation!
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    ydoethur said:

llef said:

When Ben Lake was first chosen as PPC, I read reports that Plaid did not expect him to win, but he was chosen mainly to raise his profile so that he could stand as an assembly candidate for Ceredigion in 2021, (replacing Plaid's Elin Jones if she decided to retire). Perhaps he might agree to not run for Parliament, if the Libs agreed not to run against him in 2021?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Reassuring that you still say 'queue' and not 'line'.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,993

Chris said:

alex. said:

Presumably instead of an image of the Monarch, they bear the Four Horses of The Apocolypse.
    Frantically....... well sort of ..... trying to recall Terry Pratchett’s version of the Four Horsemen.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

Don't think the LDs should be collaborating with nationalists. If they keep going at this rate they won't have any ideology left.

I know some of you may be worried about where my GE vote will go. Well Ms Brisk is nearly at the age where you're officially allowed to vote tory so I might follow.

UK OK

SNP will not dirty their hands by doing any deal with the lying cheating Lib Dems.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Chris said:

nichomar said:

Get over yourself.

I think we now have it from the mouth of one of the Four Horsemen of Brexit that the dollar value of this coin will soon be worth approximately 31p compared with its pre-referendum value - not allowing for the effect of inflation!
    Well it’s a great way to bring the country together. I suggest these new 50 p coins are only legal tender in weatherspoons pubs to offset the fact he’s pissed off 48% of his customer base
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    llef said:

ydoethur said:

llef said:

When Ben Lake was first chosen as PPC, I read reports that Plaid did not expect him to win, but he was chosen mainly to raise his profile so that he could stand as an assembly candidate for Ceredigion in 2021, (replacing Plaid's Elin Jones if she decided to retire). Perhaps he might agree to not run for Parliament, if the Libs agreed not to run against him in 2021?
    It's 'stand'. And if he didn't stand under such circumstances a huge proportion of his vote would go Labour, not Liberal Democrat.

But there is no chance of it. How on earth would Plaid explain not contesting a seat they currently hold?

Even if this story is correct, which there is good reason to doubt, it doesn't apply in Wales.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

kinabalu said:

Bach is German too.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Don't think the LDs should be collaborating with nationalists. If they keep going at this rate they won't have any ideology left.

I know some of you may be worried about where my GE vote will go. Well Ms Brisk is nearly at the age where you're officially allowed to vote tory so I might follow.

UK OK

SNP will not dirty their hands by doing any deal with the lying cheating Lib Dems.
    Boring
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Re Wales - there are 40 seats, not 30.

Not sure what that means - was 30 a mistake or will they fight each other in 10 seats?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

2 games in the SPL and it's already over.

Why are they allowed to wave the tricolour (the flag of a foreign power) at Celtic park - shouldn't there be some sort of law against this sort of thing.

If they love Ireland so much they should bugger off there and take their independence voting instincts with them.

Did you trip over your sash and get upset Briskin
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Chris said:

Foxy said:

Chris said:

Perhaps they might break through into second place, but really suggesting they could win from third place and 8.3% is not good expectation management.
    That was then when the LDs finished on 7%. They are now on 20% while the Tories have slipped 13%. LAB is now an irrelevance.
This discussion has been closed.