Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New party grouping, Unite to Remain, will make BJohnson’s autu

Comments

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114

Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

We have 50p coins for everything now and I know lots of people who love to collect them whether it be the Olympics, Peter Rabbit or whatever else you can think of. Why not this?
    Well, you could start with the fact that 48% of the public don't agree with what you are celebrating on their national coinage.
    I couldn't care less. 48% of the country may not like Jemima Puddle-duck.

This is a moment in our countries history. If people don't want this coin they don't have to collect it.
    So was, say, the election of Blair in 1997.
    Should he have had a coin ?
    Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

We have 50p coins for everything now and I know lots of people who love to collect them whether it be the Olympics, Peter Rabbit or whatever else you can think of. Why not this?
    Well, you could start with the fact that 48% of the public don't agree with what you are celebrating on their national coinage.

This is a moment in our countries history. If people don't want this coin they don't have to collect it.
    Maybe. Certainly many of his events and policies could as this isn't about an individual it is a nice commemorative message.

If you think "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" is not a message you want to be associated with then so be it.
    The coin could have a picture of my mum on it, if it's celebrating the unholy load of old bollocks that is Brexit I will still be defacing every one I come across.
    You are Prince Charles and I claim my £5
    I'll pay you after Brexit, it'll be cheaper.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124
    But seriously, surely if this coin nonsense means anything, it must mean that the government's strategy is definitely a pseudo-Trumpian one of shamelessly pandering to what it perceives as its core support, and not giving a damn how much it upsets everyone else.

"Where there is discord, may we exploit it to the utmost for narrow political advantage."

I suppose if Johnson is planning an October election, it could just work for him, given our electoral system.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

llef said:

re "when it is hoped that the three parties will be able to work out which will stand in each of the 30 Welsh constituencies"

Ceredigion seems a huge sticking point in these discussions.
    Plaid's Ben Lake beat the (sitting) Liberal MP Mark Williams by just 104 votes in 2017, and Mark Williams was chosen in March to be the Liberal PPC for Ceredigion for the next election.

Its possible they might divi up the other 29 seats, but its hard to see either Ben Lake or Mark Williams standing aside for the other.

No, whichever of Plaid or the LDs win Ceredigion will still have an anti Brexit Remainer MP so no need for the Remain Alliance there
    It is a period of civil war.
    REMAINER spaceships, striking
    from a hidden base, have won
    their first victory against
    the evil TORY Empire.

During the battle, Remainer
    spies managed to steal secret
    plans to the Tories' ultimate
    weapon, the BORIS BOUNCER,
    an armored space station with
    enough power to knock up an
    entire parliamentary seat.

Pursued by the Tories' sinister
    agents, Princess Heidi Jo
    races home aboard her starship,
    custodian of the stolen plans that
    can save her party and restore
    freedom to the Continent....

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

Nigelb said:

Get over yourself.

Maybe. Certainly many of his events and policies could as this isn't about an individual it is a nice commemorative message.

If you think "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" is not a message you want to be associated with then so be it.
    The coin could have a picture of my mum on it, if it's celebrating the unholy load of old bollocks that is Brexit I will still be defacing every one I come across.
    You are Prince Charles and I claim my £5
    I'll pay you after Brexit, it'll be cheaper.
    Your evasion is noted.

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

rcs1000 said:

I'm currently in the Department of Motor Vehicles, renewing my driving license. It is the greatest social leveller. You can be Tim Cook, or Michael Bloomberg, or the most humble undocumented migrant, and you'll be waiting on the same queue, in the same uncomfortable chairs.

You cant do it online?
    Certainly not. What century do you think this is?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Not really as as long as this Remain alliance excludes Labour it will split the centre left vote in Tory Labour marginal seats enabling the Tory candidate to win and the Tories to gain Labour Leave seats even if it sees the LDs win a few more Tory LD marginal seats

Agreed B Johnson wins big as it stands with Lab @ Lib Dems on 20% .
    Yes, Boris has stopped most of the leakage of Tory voters to the Brexit Party but Corbyn Labour is still leaking voters to the LDs
    Bozo has caused a cascade of voters switching from Tory to LibDem. Plus more than a trickle of party members from the One Nation wing jumping ship.

You might see this as a good thing.
    No, Yougov this week had Boris retaining 68% of the 2017 Tory vote, with 20% going to the Brexit Party and 9% to the LDs.

Corbyn is only retaining 53% of the 2017 Labour vote in the same poll

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/08/voting-intention-con-31-lab-22-lib-dem-21-brex-14-
    Even in that poll you will have to put the LDs and the Greens together with a little sprinkling from Labour in Tory seats. That tells me the Unite to Remain will also be around 30%.
    Splitting the anti Tory vote with Labour under FPTP and ensuring the Tories win as they are on 31% nationwide in the same poll.
    If the Remain alliance is wise it will will only stand against pro-Brexit Tories and Labour MPs. If they do that their impact could be considerably greater than you expect
    It won't be in Labour v Tory marginal seats, it will just let the Tories win by splitting the centre left anti Tory vote unless the LDs get a clear lead over Labour in the national polls as the main centre left alternative to the Tories.

The Remain Alliance and LDs are quite clear they will not do any pacts with Labour while Corbyn is leader so that means they will stand a LD or Green candidate in every seat where the Tories and Labour comprised the top 2 parties in 2017, they will only ensure a Green candidate does not stand in a Tory or Labour v LD marginal where the LDs are better placed and a LD candidate does not stand in a Tory or Labour v Green or Plaid seat where the Greens or Plaid are better placed

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/1159808784711266309?s=20
    says cheating turncoat loser. A perfect Lib Dem, lower than a rattlesnakes belly.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Not really as as long as this Remain alliance excludes Labour it will split the centre left vote in Tory Labour marginal seats enabling the Tory candidate to win and the Tories to gain Labour Leave seats even if it sees the LDs win a few more Tory LD marginal seats

Yes, Boris has stopped most of the leakage of Tory voters
    I doubt that, given the age profile of Conservative party members.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited August 2019
    If now we are measuring things in terms of ‘trump like’ it’s pretty sick but Johnson is only interested in Johnson and Tory’s are only interested in Tory’s so if emulating trump is going to benefit you then they never had any principles in the first place. I hope your very rich pay masters allow you a few crumbs of the rich mans table.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

malcolmg said:

Don't think the LDs should be collaborating with nationalists. If they keep going at this rate they won't have any ideology left.

I know some of you may be worried about where my GE vote will go. Well Ms Brisk is nearly at the age where you're officially allowed to vote tory so I might follow.

UK OK

SNP will not dirty their hands by doing any deal with the lying cheating Lib Dems.
    Boring
    arsehole
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    ydoethur said:

llef said:

re "when it is hoped that the three parties will be able to work out which will stand in each of the 30 Welsh constituencies"

Plaid's Ben Lake beat the (sitting) Liberal MP Mark Williams by just 104 votes in 2017, and Mark Williams was chosen in March to be the Liberal PPC for Ceredigion for the next election.

Its possible they might divi up the other 29 seats, but its hard to see either Ben Lake or Mark Williams standing aside for the other.

It's not 'hard' to see it. It's 'impossible.'

However, since one of the two will win it doesn't matter.

To be candid, I'm struggling to think of any seats in Wales where it might make a difference. Anglesey possibly, but that's a funny seat and doesn't conform to classic norms. Cardiff Central might be a better bet, but that's a Lib Dem target. The problem is that there is only Anglesey where Plaid have any chance of gaining anything and in that seat the LD vote is negligible, while in Montgomeryshire or Cardiff Central Plaid's endorsement would make no difference whatsoever.
    Very rural Welsh seats are very difficult to read - as we have just seen with Brecon & Radnor. The personality of the candidate appears to count for far more than elsewhere. Glyn Davies is standing down and it remains to be seen how strong his personal vote has become . If the Tories were to fall back to the 40% or so polled in 2010 when Davies ousted Opik , the seat would become very competitive , and in those circumstances Plaid's 5% - 8% could prove crucial. In 2017 there was a big jump in the Labour vote there , and were that to be reversed LibDem prospects could be quite good.
  • Options

Chris said:

Foxy said:

Chris said:

A pact between the LDs and the Greens in Rees-Mogg's seat should certainly assure the pro-Remain unity candidate of a solid third place, because those two parties notched up all of 10.6% between them at the last election.

Sometimes the uselessness of the Remainers is almost as maddening as the stupidity of the Leavers.

Lib Dems did well in Nth Somerset in the Locals and in Euros as I recall.
    Perhaps they might break through into second place, but really suggesting they could win from third place and 8.3% is not good expectation management.
    That was then when the LDs finished on 7%. They are now on 20% while the Tories have slipped 13%. LAB is now an irrelevance.
    In terms of swing from the Tories since 2017, the Lib Dems would need about 22.6%. The 13% you quote doesn't come close.
  • Options
    What was I saying about women not understanding the offside rule the other day?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Chris said:

Foxy said:

Chris said:

A pact between the LDs and the Greens in Rees-Mogg's seat should certainly assure the pro-Remain unity candidate of a solid third place, because those two parties notched up all of 10.6% between them at the last election.

Sometimes the uselessness of the Remainers is almost as maddening as the stupidity of the Leavers.

Lib Dems did well in Nth Somerset in the Locals and in Euros as I recall.
    Perhaps they might break through into second place, but really suggesting they could win from third place and 8.3% is not good expectation management.
    That was then when the LDs finished on 7%. They are now on 20% while the Tories have slipped 13%. LAB is now an irrelevance.
    But in 2010 when the LibDems polled 23% in the wake of Cleggmania , Labour was the main rival to JRM losing by less than 5,000 votes. Had the seat existed on current boundaries, it would have been safely Labour in 1997 and 2001 - and probably narrowly so in 2005.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

If now we are measuring things in terms of ‘trump like’ it’s pretty sick but Johnson is only interested in Johnson and Tory’s are only interested in Tory’s so if emulating trump is going to benefit you then they never had any principles in the first place. I hope your very rich pay masters allow you a few crumbs of the rich mans table.

??
  • Options
    *News Alert*

It has come to our attention at Brisky Towers that some English comrades are not fully on board the switch from scotch to bourbon to show solidarity with the great British Union of ours and to stop the Scottish Groat in its tracks.

A new hashtag has therefore been devised-

#Whiskey4Whisky4indyref2

Any appraisals gratefully received.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, Boris has stopped most of the leakage of Tory voters to the Brexit Party but Corbyn Labour is still leaking voters to the LDs
    Bozo has caused a cascade of voters switching from Tory to LibDem. Plus more than a trickle of party members from the One Nation wing jumping ship.

No, Yougov this week had Boris retaining 68% of the 2017 Tory vote, with 20% going to the Brexit Party and 9% to the LDs.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/08/voting-intention-con-31-lab-22-lib-dem-21-brex-14-
    Even in that poll you will have to put the LDs and the Greens together with a little sprinkling from Labour in Tory seats. That tells me the Unite to Remain will also be around 30%.
    Splitting the anti Tory vote with Labour under FPTP and ensuring the Tories win as they are on 31% nationwide in the same poll.
    If the Remain alliance is wise it will will only stand against pro-Brexit Tories and Labour MPs. If they do that their impact could be considerably greater than you expect
    It won't be in Labour v Tory marginal seats, it will just let the Tories win by splitting the centre left anti Tory vote unless the LDs get a clear lead over Labour in the national polls as the main centre left alternative to the Tories.

The Remain Alliance and LDs are quite clear they will not do any pacts with Labour while Corbyn is leader so that means they will stand a LD or Green candidate in every seat where the Tories and Labour comprised the top 2 parties in 2017, they will only ensure a Green candidate does not stand in a Tory or Labour v LD marginal where the LDs are better placed and a LD candidate does not stand in a Tory or Labour v Green or Plaid seat where the Greens or Plaid are better placed

says cheating turncoat loser. A perfect Lib Dem, lower than a rattlesnakes belly.
    Lower than a rattlesnake's genital warts.....
  • Options
    Chris said:

The Brexit 50p feels like a misjudgement - Leavers stamping their authority on the present as they crush and humiliate those on the losing side. Next they'll be proposing a national holiday on the anniversary of Boris's succession. Presumably this is all part of Cummings's plan to reshape society and its institutions in his own image.

If you think "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" is a "crushing and humiliating" message then you have my sympathy suck it up, buttercup.
    I say again, I don't believe you're as much of a moron as you pretend to be. No one could be.
    You think wanting "peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" is moronic?

I note you ignored my long reply the other day about why exactly inflation and currency variations are different, despite the fact that others could understand the point easily. I wonder whether you're the one pretending to be less bright than he is, because its really not that difficult.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2019

The Brexit 50p feels like a misjudgement - Leavers stamping their authority on the present as they crush and humiliate those on the losing side. Next they'll be proposing a national holiday on the anniversary of Boris's succession. Presumably this is all part of Cummings's plan to reshape society and its institutions in his own image.

If you think "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" is a "crushing and humiliating" message then you have my sympathy suck it up, buttercup.

If society and institutions are to be reshaped in the image of "peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" then I am OK with that.
    Considering the Leavers' agreed line is that No Deal will screw the EU just as much, if not more, than us, then the 'prosperity and friendship with all nations' bit is downright Orwellian.
    We're keeping the door open to a deal, all they need to do is drop the backstop.

Considering there is no backstop if there is no deal then its not an unreasonable request.

Insisting on no deal [and thus no backstop] rather than a deal minus the backstop is the EU just cutting off their own nose to spite their face.
  • Options
    Chris said:

nichomar said:

??
    It was an attempt to respond to your pseudo trumpism comment where it’s is unfortunate that we have to now have to measure our politicians on a trump like scale which to me implies we have now reached the bottom of the barrel. I was not implying that you had ‘rich paymasters’ just allowing my frustration to run away with itself because I feel this whole situation has been engineered for their own financial benefit. Sorry if it went a bit wrong because I actually agree with you
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Chris said:

I say again, I don't believe you're as much of a moron as you pretend to be. No one could be.
    You think wanting "peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" is moronic?
    Still having trouble with that basic English comprehension, eh?

What I said was that _you_ were _pretending_ to be moronic, when you portrayed people who objected to this commemorative coin as disagreeing with the sentiments expressed in the motto.

And then I said no one could really be that moronic. I rest my case!

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2019
    Chris said:

Chris said:

What I said was that _you_ were _pretending_ to be moronic, when you portrayed people who objected to this commemorative coin as disagreeing with the sentiments expressed in the motto.

I'm not pretending anything, anyone who objects to the words "peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" being on a coin is pathetic. Say that you agree with the sentiment but dislike Brexit, that's reasonable. Acting all outraged and saying you're that angry you'll deface coins . . . that's just sad.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Chris said:

I note you ignored my long reply the other day about why exactly inflation and currency variations are different, despite the fact that others could understand the point easily. I wonder whether you're the one pretending to be less bright than he is, because its really not that difficult.
    Oh - and as for "ignoring your long reply" - please do bear in mind that some of us don't spend our whole life glued to this website, as it seems you do.

If you really posted a long reply explaining yet again why a straw man argument of your own invention was invalid, then it really just bears out what I've just said. You talk nonsense, and when someone points out it's nonsense, you just generate several tons more of the stuff to try to cover it up.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

llef said:

It's not 'hard' to see it. It's 'impossible.'

However, since one of the two will win it doesn't matter.

To be candid, I'm struggling to think of any seats in Wales where it might make a difference. Anglesey possibly, but that's a funny seat and doesn't conform to classic norms. Cardiff Central might be a better bet, but that's a Lib Dem target. The problem is that there is only Anglesey where Plaid have any chance of gaining anything and in that seat the LD vote is negligible, while in Montgomeryshire or Cardiff Central Plaid's endorsement would make no difference whatsoever.
    Very rural Welsh seats are very difficult to read - as we have just seen with Brecon & Radnor. The personality of the candidate appears to count for far more than elsewhere. Glyn Davies is standing down and it remains to be seen how strong his personal vote has become . If the Tories were to fall back to the 40% or so polled in 2010 when Davies ousted Opik , the seat would become very competitive , and in those circumstances Plaid's 5% - 8% could prove crucial. In 2017 there was a big jump in the Labour vote there , and were that to be reversed LibDem prospects could be quite good.
    40% isn't implausible as a floor in Montgomery given that's roughly the figure they get in the comparable Assembly seat.

But Plaid and the Liberal Democrats together are still a long way short of that. Labour would need to lose 2/3 of their voters as well. Not impossible given they polled about 5% in 2015 but that seems a bit unlikely.

Edit - it is also worth pointing out at this moment there is no Liberal Democrat candidate. The incumbent candidate did a rat run has just been elected as an MP. So we are talking many hypotheticals here.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Shooting at a mosque in Norway
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

I'm not pretending anything, anyone who objects to the words "peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" being on a coin is pathetic. Say that you agree with the sentiment but dislike Brexit, that's reasonable. Acting all outraged and saying you're that angry you'll deface coins . . . that's just sad.
    Fake moron.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Chris said:

nichomar said:

??
    It was an attempt to respond to your pseudo trumpism comment where it’s is unfortunate that we have to now have to measure our politicians on a trump like scale which to me implies we have now reached the bottom of the barrel. I was not implying that you had ‘rich paymasters’ just allowing my frustration to run away with itself because I feel this whole situation has been engineered for their own financial benefit. Sorry if it went a bit wrong because I actually agree with you
    I see (I think). But I wasn't using "pseudo-Trumpian" as a random insult. I really think it's the same strategy that Trump is following - say what you think your perceived core support wants to hear, and don't bother about offending anyone else.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

malcolmg said:

Lower than a rattlesnake's genital warts.....
    It's witty repartee like this that keeps me coming back to PB time after time.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Simple question. How much has brexit cost you since the day of the referendum? Have you had to pay anything for your principals, will you have to in the future?
  • Options
    And I'll just say that I'm off now to do something more worthwhile.

So if Philip is about to post another lengthy critique of his own straw man arguments, he mustn't get upset if I don't respond.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

It won't be in Labour v Tory marginal seats, it will just let the Tories win by splitting the centre left

Don’t know why Malcolm, but I get the idea you’re anti LibDem.

Pity, because some speak highly of you!
  • Options
    Chris said:

Proper little internet tough guy aren't you.

No doubt sat in your underpants in a bedsit under a bare lightbulb.
  • Options
    Chris said:

nichomar said:

Chris said:

nichomar said:

??
    I see (I think). But I wasn't using "pseudo-Trumpian" as a random insult. I really think it's the same strategy that Trump is following - say what you think your perceived core support wants to hear, and don't bother about offending anyone else.
    Exactly
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm currently in the Department of Motor Vehicles, renewing my driving license. It is the greatest social leveller. You can be Tim Cook, or Michael Bloomberg, or the most humble undocumented migrant, and you'll be waiting on the same queue, in the same uncomfortable chairs.

You cant do it online?
    Maybe David Davis can sort it out.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    edited August 2019

Chris said:

Chris said:

If one were a North Korean dissident one might object to the term Democratic People's Republic of North Korea without being against the wider principles of democracy, the people or republics. I think a lot of us would feel a peaceful, prosperous, friendly Brexit is a similarly rankling and absurdly, knowingly dishonest juxtaposition.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

If one were a North Korean dissident one might object to the term Democratic People's Republic of North Korea without being against the wider principles of democracy, the people or republics. I think a lot of us would feel a peaceful, prosperous, friendly Brexit is a similarly rankling and absurdly, knowingly dishonest juxtaposition.
    Yes, there's a lot of remainacs about - if they don't like the "juxtapose" they've still got time to fuck off to continental Europe. Hurry though, you're running out of time.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

The coin is Brexit in microcosm - stupid, dishonest, a pointless waste of time. The 48% have repeatedly been told "you lost, suck it up," we have few ways of registering our disgust at this nonsense. It is a bit sad, but it will genuinely make me happy to take a masonry drill to one of these pathetic pieces of currency once in a while, a small futile act of rebellion against all the shite. You can make us endure Brexit, but we will never tire of telling you how crap it is. Suck it up!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    I'm sure he is but what does Elton think?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1160236638183796736?s=20
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    A better slogan for the Brexit coin would be “nostalgia for Empire and hatred of immigrants”.
  • Options

I'm sure he is but what does Elton think?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1160236638183796736?s=20

I'm confused as to how the death will impact sales of Irn Bru
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You cant do it online?
    Maybe David Davis can sort it out.
    To misquote Ronald Reagan, the most terrifying words in the English language are 'I'm David Davis and I'm here to help.'
  • Options

A better slogan for the Brexit coin would be “nostalgia for Empire and hatred of immigrants”.

If you are a swivel-eyed loon driven to madness by democracy delivering a decision you hate then yes...that would indeed be a better slogan.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

The coin is Brexit in microcosm - stupid, dishonest, a pointless waste of time. The 48% have repeatedly been told "you lost, suck it up," we have few ways of registering our disgust at this nonsense. It is a bit sad, but it will genuinely make me happy to take a masonry drill to one of these pathetic pieces of currency once in a while, a small futile act of rebellion against all the shite. You can make us endure Brexit, but we will never tire of telling you how crap it is. Suck it up!
    Win/win. If that's going to genuinely make you happy then its a good thing we are getting these coins. Its giving you an outlet for your frustrations and making you genuinely happy.

What's not to like?
  • Options

Not just immigrants Mr M, all foreigners.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Well my vote at a possible imminent GE would be for whoever has the best chance of avoiding Brexit. After this is achieved, if indeed it can be, then normal service will be resumed, and then I will choose whoever best represents my views.
    I am a bit worried I will be out of the UK from mid October to mid November,getting my annual adrenaline fix in the the Himalaya with very little internet or mobile, hope I can get back to the UK OK.
  • Options

If you are a swivel-eyed loon driven to madness by democracy delivering a decision you hate then yes...that would indeed be a better slogan.
    Delivered by a campaign of xenophobic lies. So a very apt slogan.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Oh - and as for "ignoring your long reply" - please do bear in mind that some of us don't spend our whole life glued to this website, as it seems you do.

If you really posted a long reply explaining yet again why a straw man argument of your own invention was invalid, then it really just bears out what I've just said. You talk nonsense, and when someone points out it's nonsense, you just generate several tons more of the stuff to try to cover it up.
    I'm not glued to this website, I can go hours or days not logging on. This site can get quite addictive though, I doubt I'm the only person here who finds it quite addictive.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Chris said:

Nobody in modern western democratic politics has the particular combination of disgusting personality and character traits that are brought together in the organism we know as Donald Trump. He is unique and just as Hitler should not be compared with anyone else, nor should Trump. Trump is like Hitler in this respect.
  • Options
    So I guess the Treasury will be delivering 700 million of these 50p coins to the NHS every week.
  • Options
    Chris said:

And I'll just say that I'm off now to do something more worthwhile.

So if Philip is about to post another lengthy critique of his own straw man arguments, he mustn't get upset if I don't respond.

I didn't critique my own argument, you asked me a question and I replied. You kept repeating the question, I kept replying. Not my fault if you act dumb or don't understand the answer.
  • Options

Ah, the sweet salty tears of remainers.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    rcs1000 said:

It's surprising how slow the home of silicon valley is to adopt the latest technologies - they were well behind Europe in bringing in chip and pin authorisation for card payments. In 2016 when I had to submit returns to the IRS on behalf of my then employer I was amazed to be told that they had to be completed on paper and then faxed - there was no online system and the IRS did not accept email!
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Win/win. If that's going to genuinely make you happy then its a good thing we are getting these coins. Its giving you an outlet for your frustrations and making you genuinely happy.

What's not to like?
    This actually makes more sense than most of the things you say.
  • Options

Where do these highly charged new posters come from, mostly on the leave side with a very antagonistic attitude who then fade after about two weeks?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited August 2019

rcs1000 said:

It's surprising how slow the home of silicon valley is to adopt the latest technologies - they were well behind Europe in bringing in chip and pin authorisation for card payments. In 2016 when I had to submit returns to the IRS on behalf of my then employer I was amazed to be told that they had to be completed on paper and then faxed - there was no online system and the IRS did not accept email!
    I’m 27 and I’ve never seen, never mind use, a fax machine.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

rcs1000 said:

Try using a Telex machine. For some reason all transport orders in my business had to be confirmed by Telex.
    I can remember a business trip to the US and was amazed at how primitive their mobile phones were, circa 2004.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Doesn't surprise me. I'm 37 and I've only seen one in one workplace and it was phased out 14 years ago. Its absurd anyone using it in the 21st century.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Where do these highly charged new posters come from, mostly on the leave side with a very antagonistic attitude who then fade after about two weeks?

Originally?

Spanish father/English mother, lived abroad for many years, speak a couple of languages, believe in democracy.

What about you?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I think we can class Meeks as a long term poster - and I don't think he's leave either...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

When I was 27 I'd never used a mobile phone.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    edited August 2019
    Scott_P said:
    I for one think this coin is the perfect metaphor for Brexit. Let's embrace it.

Brexiteers opt not to use the second half of Jefferson's sentence - entangling alliances with none - which is the bit they really mean. So they refer to "Peace and Friendship" as a Freemasons' code for the real meaning.

This coin manages to be highly insulting, disingenuous and bombastic all at the same time. But that's what Brexit is all about.
  • Options

LOL. Mr Meeks makes me think of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=929sn1qMCcM
  • Options
    What is bizarre is people's business cards that still include a fax number.
  • Options

Are you still making up government policy positions this evening?
  • Options

nichomar said:

I think we can class Meeks as a long term poster - and I don't think he's leave either...
    No he obviously isn’t but there are a lot of new posters coming in with what I find as antagonist views.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

No he obviously isn’t but there are a lot of new posters coming in with what I find as antagonist views.
    And the diehard remainers aren't antagonistic???
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

Might not go quite that far but the aura around it is definitely more 'smell the glove' than 'love train'.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

Brexiteers opt not to use the second half of Jefferson's sentence - entangling alliances with none - which is the bit they really mean. So they refer to "Peace and Friendship" as a Freemasons' code for the real meaning.

This coin manages to be highly insulting, disingenuous and bombastic all at the same time. But that's what Brexit is all about.
    I expect Remain / Rejoin campaigns will be collecting them for funds. And I expect Leave politicians will be receiving a lot of them, with sharpened edges thrown at force.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

I expect Remain / Rejoin campaigns will be collecting them for funds. And I expect Leave politicians will be receiving a lot of them, with sharpened edges thrown at force.
    This is Faragian. You don't explicitly advocate violence, you just bring up ways it could be done.
  • Options

And I expect Leave politicians will be receiving a lot of them, with sharpened edges thrown at force.

I don't doubt it having seen the feral state of many of the remainers on here.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You cant do it online?
    I renewed mine by post ;)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

When I was 27 mobile phones had only been available in the UK for a year, they were the size of a brick and almost as heavy.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Originally?

Spanish father/English mother, lived abroad for many years, speak a couple of languages, believe in democracy.

What about you?

I’m not going to give you my cv but speak Spanish, have held positions of elected responsibility in the UK and run multi million pound operations from Moscow to New Jersey. There is a pattern of very strong opinionated poster arriving here, making a point and then disappearing.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Presumably those with an antagonistic attitude get banned or shadow banned.
  • Options
    Yas - I did have that cheeky flutter on Spurs - still down for the season, natch.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

When I was 27 mobile phones had only been available in the UK for a year, they were the size of a brick and almost as heavy.
    Still got one of those. Also a first generation digital phone. Use it for teaching about change over time. Slap it down next to my IPhone and get them comparing.

The bit that always bewilders them is the SIM card.
  • Options

How was I wrong about the policy? What I said is as I understand the policy, if its not can you please explain the difference?
  • Options
    CaptainBuzzkillCaptainBuzzkill Posts: 335
    edited August 2019
    nichomar said:

You may be right but tbf I haven't seen many leavers suggesting politicians are going to be attacked with sharpened coins.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure this new 50p coin was announced ages ago.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

This is Faragian. You don't explicitly advocate violence, you just bring up ways it could be done.
    Do you really expect the serried ranks of pb commenters to rise up and launch an intifada on the basis of a nod and wink from me? Get a grip.
  • Options
    S

How was I wrong about the policy? What I said is as I understand the policy, if its not can you please explain the difference?
    The government policy is not, as you claimed, simply to remove the backstop.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

nichomar said:

I very much doubt it OGH actively encourages different view points and also defends many I wouldn’t. Very few get banned but although I have been around quietly under one or two guises (memory problems) since 2004 others will know better
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Originally?

What about you?

I’m not going to give you my cv but speak Spanish, have held positions of elected responsibility in the UK and run multi million pound operations from Moscow to New Jersey. There is a pattern of very strong opinionated poster arriving here, making a point and then disappearing.

May we humbly ask? What do strongly opinionated mere working class remainers get then? A ration of West country Cheese and a Nicola Sturgeon engraved special edition bottle opener?
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

Do you really expect the serried ranks of pb commenters to rise up and launch an intifada on the basis of a nod and wink from me? Get a grip.
    Sadly, I have seen far too many ideas rise from the cesspit of social media to impact national politics in recent years. I will continue to call out all winks and nods to violence wherever I see them.
  • Options

S

On the subject of Ireland, which is what we were discussing, yes it is. If I have missed something please explain what?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Originally?

What about you?

And here we have Exhibit A of a typical remainer.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    As a Remainer (almost an Ultra-Remainer), I still think we should respect the referendum (as moronic as it was) and leave. The trouble is, Leavers seem to be doing everything they can to ensure that when we do eventually leave the EU, our stay outside will be as short as possible.
  • Options

S

On the subject of Ireland, which is what we were discussing, yes it is. If I have missed something please explain what?
    Government policy is to replace the backstop with a different means of meeting the EU’s concerns. However, it has no alternative to offer.
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Originally?

What about you?

May we humbly ask? What do strongly opinionated mere working class remainers get then? A ration of West country Cheese and a Nicola Sturgeon engraved special edition bottle opener?
    Fuck me you’ve lost me there
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

Gabs2 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

Words Matter.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Gabs2 said:

nichomar said:

I very much doubt it OGH actively encourages different view points and also defends many I wouldn’t. Very few get banned but although I have been around quietly under one or two guises (memory problems) since 2004 others will know better
    It's best to ignore posts designed to antagonise. Engaging with them only encourages them.
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Originally?

What about you?

A common response; I'll go back to the Glemorangie :)
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Originally?

What about you?

And here we have Exhibit A of a typical remainer.

Yes and bloody proud of it. What have you ever done for the community you live in?
  • Options
    CatMan said:

As a Remainer (almost an Ultra-Remainer), I still think we should respect the referendum (as moronic as it was) and leave. The trouble is, Leavers seem to be doing everything they can to ensure that when we do eventually leave the EU, our stay outside will be as short as possible.

If a political party (or coalition) was elected at a future GE on a manifesto of re-joining (with or without a referendum) then I would be jumping from a great height on any leaver trying to thwart it.

Democracy has to be respected in letter AND spirit and if that means accepting something you intensely dislike so be it.

Trying to subvert a huge democratic mandate through nebulous justifications is the action of the ignorant.
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Originally?

What about you?

A common response; I'll go back to the Glemorangie :)
    😀
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Christ! A load of escapees from Guido's. Floater must have been out with his sandwich board again.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

I don't approve of that. If some way could be found to deface the coin with a "Bollocks to Brexit" message and then put it back into circulation - that would be an entirely worthwhile gesture IMO
  • Options

CatMan said:

If a political party (or coalition) was elected at a future GE on a manifesto of re-joining (with or without a referendum) then I would be jumping from a great height on any leaver trying to thwart it.

Democracy has to be respected in letter AND spirit and if that means accepting something you intensely dislike so be it.

Trying to subvert a huge democratic mandate through nebulous justifications is the action of the ignorant.
    Then let's leave in an orderly careful way which does the least damage and respects that most people (including a lot of Leavers) want a close relationship with Europe, as was promised during the campaign.

Instead we've gone from that to "We need to get out any way possible and screw the consequences". I don't think that's a good strategy if you want to make leaving the EU a success.
This discussion has been closed.