Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Despite the dire polling, Jeremy Corbyn is not going anywhere

12346»

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Goodnight all.

@HYUFD think carefully about which party is best for you. As a diehard remainer perhaps it is the LibDems.

I AM NOT A DIEHARD REMAINER, I backed the Withdrawal Agreement and back No Deal over No Brexit.

I would rather spend a fortnight in Merthyr Tydfil in November than deliver Focus leaflets
    So why do you back No Deal?
    I back Brexit Deal or No Deal
    But why?

As I respect democracy, we voted Leave and must Leave.

Otherwise if Corbyn wins the next general election if Brexit is not delivered despite winning the referendum why should Tories accept a Corbyn government either?
    We voted for Leave with the expectation that our political class would negotiate a sensible deal. We did not vote for No Deal. If you do not personally advocate No Deal there is no obligation to support it.

Campaign for what you believe in.
    We voted to Leave, there was no part of the question about Leaving only with a Deal
    So you voted Remain, are against No Deal, but feel obliged to support it because of a misguided belief that this is the will of the people.

It isn't, so don't.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

I enjoy taking the girlfriend for a weekend up the Wrexham.

And on that note, good night.

That was a positively Maelorficient post.
  • Options

I enjoy taking the girlfriend for a weekend up the Wrexham.

And on that note, good night.

General or Central?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Goodnight all.

@HYUFD think carefully about which party is best for you. As a diehard remainer perhaps it is the LibDems.

I AM NOT A DIEHARD REMAINER, I backed the Withdrawal Agreement and back No Deal over No Brexit.

I would rather spend a fortnight in Merthyr Tydfil in November than deliver Focus leaflets
    But why?

Otherwise if Corbyn wins the next general election if Brexit is not delivered despite winning the referendum why should Tories accept a Corbyn government either?
    Advisory referendum, no legal obligation to fulfill it it especially when it is a stupid decision.
    No, it was a democratic vote which clearly won.

If the Brexit vote is not delivered I suspect many Tories and Brexit Party voters would refuse to accept a Corbyn, Corbyn/LD/SNP government and mass protests and civil disobedience would begin straight away.

I certainly would be tempted
    Why should I give a shit what Tory’s think?and as for TBP voters even less if you can’t see that you are being manipulated into supporting policies that makes the likes of Tice, Mogg and co loads of money at the expense of the less well off that’s your problem. I’ve still not seen a single argument that explains how most people gain anything from this rich elite driven project.
    Leavers voted for more sovereignty, border control and the right to do our own trade deals but even if you disagree with all of that and want to campaign to rejoin the EU that campaign must only begin after we have left the EU as the first vote won a majority to do
    Which of those can I eat for breakfast? Also you know full well leaving will negate all our hard won special terms and rejoining will involve euro, schengen etc etc but if your happy to let them, the really rich people, to continue to hide their wealth which otherwise they were going to have to declare and pay taxes on so be it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Goodnight all.

But why?

We voted for Leave with the expectation that our political class would negotiate a sensible deal. We did not vote for No Deal. If you do not personally advocate No Deal there is no obligation to support it.

We voted to Leave, there was no part of the question about Leaving only with a Deal

You voted to remain. There was no part of the question about remaining without joining the Euro.

It was to Remain as we were, if in a few years time there was an application to join the Euro I may have switched to backing Leave but nonetheless if the vote was to join the Euro I would have reluctantly accepted it but campaigned to bring back sterling once we had joined the Euro
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Goodnight all.

But why?

Advisory referendum, no legal obligation to fulfill it it especially when it is a stupid decision.

If the Brexit vote is not delivered I suspect many Tories and Brexit Party voters would refuse to accept a Corbyn, Corbyn/LD/SNP government and mass protests and civil disobedience would begin straight away.

Why should I give a shit what Tory’s think?and as for TBP voters even less if you can’t see that you are being manipulated into supporting policies that makes the likes of Tice, Mogg and co loads of money at the expense of the less well off that’s your problem. I’ve still not seen a single argument that explains how most people gain anything from this rich elite driven project.
    Leavers voted for more sovereignty, border control and the right to do our own trade deals but even if you disagree with all of that and want to campaign to rejoin the EU that campaign must only begin after we have left the EU as the first vote won a majority to do
    How do you know what Leavers voted for? None of those things were on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    That By-election result was great! The "Remain Alliance" trounced the Boris Brexiteers. :smiley:

If Boris cannot win in a seat that voted 52/48 then maybe we should be holding a Final Say vote to make sure we are not wrecking peoples lives on out of date opinion.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Forget @HYUFD It's the Lexit/Non Tory voters I can't figure out. What the hell did they think they were voting for* ?!
    *I know Rochdale_Pioneers has repented so I'm leaving him out of this, but @SandyRentool for instance ?

I voted to escape an undemocratic capitalist hegemony. And to give Cameron a kick in the nads.
    You got rid of Cameron and replaced him with May who was far worse, but now we have Boris who is quite like Cameron so not sure what that achieved?
    We have a Tory Party tearing lumps out of itself. That will do for now.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

One more thing. Do you believe that somebody aged under 18 in 2016 is obliged to accept the “result” of the referendum?

Yes, just as they are obliged to accept a democratically elected government they were not old enough to vote for

So they are not allowed to use democratic means to oppose the decisions made by that Government? Why do we have such a thing in our constitution as “the official opposition” if they are not allowed to oppose?
    They can oppose they cannot overthrow as it won a general election mandate until the next general election
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Goodnight all.

But why?

How do you know what Leavers voted for? None of those things were on the ballot paper.
    The only thing on the ballot paper was to Leave the EU which must be delivered
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Goodnight all.

What is wrong with Merthyr Tydfil in November ?
    It looks like a de-militarised zone, but all year round not just in November.
    Merthyr's not that bad. Much nicer than Abercynon.
    Somebody once told me that it was depressing to spend time in Swansea.

I suggested that a rapid cure was to spend a day in Neath.
    Sky reported earlier that you can buy sex for £5 in Swansea.

But you would need to go to Swansea first, so probably not such a good deal.
    There are even some trains that avoid Swansea:
    Saturdays: 1243 Fishguard Harbour - Cardiff Central
    Sundays: 1240 Fishguard Harbour - Cardiff Central
    Sundays: 1205 Cardiff Central - Milford Haven
  • Options

That By-election result was great! The "Remain Alliance" trounced the Boris Brexiteers. :smiley:

If Boris cannot win in a seat that voted 52/48 then maybe we should be holding a Final Say vote to make sure we are not wrecking peoples lives on out of date opinion.

The LDs won by 4.5% over the Tories and more people voted for Leave parties than Remain parties
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Interesting to compare the result of the B&R by-election with the one held in 1985, on exactly the same boundaries. The Liberals / LDs got almost the same number of votes, the Tories were 2,000 higher, and Labour 12,000 lower. Labour lost 87% of their votes over that time.

Right through to 2017 they had a decent rump, the BE result looks dire for them.
    The only thing suicidal for Johnson would be extending again, do that and the Tories are guaranteed to fall behind the Brexit Party
    Don't get me wrong. Given the position he's put himself in, it's quite possible that every option Johnson has will be suicidal.
    The only suicidal action Boris could take would be to extend again and let the Brexit Party overtake the Tories as the main party of the right
    So how does Boris get to the position where we leave on October 31st.

I note that even the Freeport announcement falls apart when it's pointed out it offers nothing we can't do today were it not for lack of previous Government disinterest.
    By refusing an extension and committing to prorogue Parliament if necessary at the end of October to deliver Brexit and respect the will of the people
    Who gets to decide the will of the people? If its you and a bunch of your Eton/Oxbridge elite mates that truly is a fascist use of the phrase.

If it is opinion polling, the will of the people is remain ahead of leave, so lets remain.

If it is elections, the only mandate for no deal is the 1.8% who voted UKIP at the last general election. 98.2% voted for at least a deal, so lets leave with a deal.

There is no mandate or majority for no deal which is why you are flirting with a coup to deliver it and starting to use fascist language.
    Latest Opinium poll last weekend, Leave on 31st October even with No Deal 45%, revoke Article 50 and Remain 28%, extend again 13%
    https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-24th-july-2019/
    Just to confirm, are you saying opinion polls define the will of the people that we must all follow?
  • Options

Yet another poster drawing all the wrong conclusions from this seat.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Goodnight all.

But why?

You voted to remain. There was no part of the question about remaining without joining the Euro.

It was to Remain as we were, if in a few years time there was an application to join the Euro I may have switched to backing Leave but nonetheless if the vote was to join the Euro I would have reluctantly accepted it but campaigned to bring back sterling once we had joined the Euro
    No, it was just “to remain in the EU”. In fact the leave campaign specifically argued that remain was NOT a “status quo” option

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,589

I enjoy taking the girlfriend for a weekend up the Wrexham....

Sounds an inordinately long time to spend in such a place....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Goodnight all.

Isn't Swansea on a sort of side-branch of the GWML? So trains have to reverse out?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

One more thing. Do you believe that somebody aged under 18 in 2016 is obliged to accept the “result” of the referendum?

Yes, just as they are obliged to accept a democratically elected government they were not old enough to vote for

So they are not allowed to use democratic means to oppose the decisions made by that Government? Why do we have such a thing in our constitution as “the official opposition” if they are not allowed to oppose?
    They can oppose they cannot overthrow as it won a general election mandate until the next general election
    If the government cannot command a majority in Parliament, of course they can overthrow it.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Goodnight all.

But why?

At the cost of breaking up the UK?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Goodnight all.

I require the avoiding line. And the Fishguard and Pembroke branches.

I've been to Milford Haven. I saw the Haven, but I didn't see much Milf.
  • Options
    As a good Muslim boy I don't drink wine but is blue wine an abomination up there with putting pineapple on pizzas?

French authorities have launched a prosecution against the makers of Corsican blue wine, Imajyne.

“There is no way that a wine can be naturally blue,” the French general department for competition, consumers and the repression of frauds said in a statement.

The news follows research by chemists at the University of Toulouse who revealed that the wine contained E133, also known as Brilliant Blue FCF, a synthetic dye also used in the production of curacao.

The use of dye in wine production is strictly prohibited in France.

https://harpers.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/25678/French_authorities_move_against_makers_of_blue_wine.html
  • Options

Bozo looking vaguely sensible on Sky News at Whaley Bridge.

That wont wo his polling numbers any good...the great british British public love nothing more than seeing boris falling over in a massive puddle or something equally hilarious.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Goodnight all.

But why?

At the cost of breaking up the UK?
    In an ideal world no and no guarantee it would do but if the only thing keeping most Scots and residents of Northern Ireland in the UK is being part of the EU then so be it
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

If the government cannot command a majority in Parliament, of course they can overthrow it.
    Leave won a majority, if a Corbyn government also won a majority of course they could not.

However if a referendum majority is not respected why should a Corbyn government majority be either?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Of course they can overthrow. They just need to win a VONC
  • Options

As a good Muslim boy I don't drink wine but is blue wine an abomination up there with putting pineapple on pizzas?

French authorities have launched a prosecution against the makers of Corsican blue wine, Imajyne.

“There is no way that a wine can be naturally blue,” the French general department for competition, consumers and the repression of frauds said in a statement.

The news follows research by chemists at the University of Toulouse who revealed that the wine contained E133, also known as Brilliant Blue FCF, a synthetic dye also used in the production of curacao.

The use of dye in wine production is strictly prohibited in France.

https://harpers.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/25678/French_authorities_move_against_makers_of_blue_wine.html

Far worse. At least pineapple has some nutritional benefits.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The LDs won by 4.5% over the Tories and more people voted for Leave parties than Remain parties
    The LD still won! :smiley: The Tories have one less MP and in that one less Brexiteer in Parliament! The Tories were defeated in a seat they held with an 8,000 majority which equates to about 20%. From this one can conclude the Tories do have a problem and Boris cannot fix it...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Interesting to compare the result of the B&R by-election with the one held in 1985, on exactly the same boundaries. The Liberals / LDs got almost the same number of votes, the Tories were 2,000 higher, and Labour 12,000 lower. Labour lost 87% of their votes over that time.

Right through to 2017 they had a decent rump, the BE result looks dire for them.
    The only thing suicidal for Johnson would be extending again, do that and the Tories are guaranteed to fall behind the Brexit Party
    Don't get me wrong. Given the position he's put himself in, it's quite possible that every option Johnson has will be suicidal.
    The only suicidal action Boris could take would be to extend again and let the Brexit Party overtake the Tories as the main party of the right
    So how does Boris get to the position where we leave on October 31st.

I note that even the Freeport announcement falls apart when it's pointed out it offers nothing we can't do today were it not for lack of previous Government disinterest.
    By refusing an extension and committing to prorogue Parliament if necessary at the end of October to deliver Brexit and respect the will of the people
    Who gets to decide the will of the people? If its you and a bunch of your Eton/Oxbridge elite mates that truly is a fascist use of the phrase.

If it is opinion polling, the will of the people is remain ahead of leave, so lets remain.

If it is elections, the only mandate for no deal is the 1.8% who voted UKIP at the last general election. 98.2% voted for at least a deal, so lets leave with a deal.

There is no mandate or majority for no deal which is why you are flirting with a coup to deliver it and starting to use fascist language.
    Latest Opinium poll last weekend, Leave on 31st October even with No Deal 45%, revoke Article 50 and Remain 28%, extend again 13%
    https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-24th-july-2019/
    Just to confirm, are you saying opinion polls define the will of the people that we must all follow?
    Majority votes certainly do, as with the vote to Leave the EU
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The LD still won! :smiley: The Tories have one less MP and in that one less Brexiteer in Parliament! The Tories were defeated in a seat they held with an 8,000 majority which equates to about 20%. From this one can conclude the Tories do have a problem and Boris cannot fix it...
    Not in this seat you can't.

That said, it was a pretty emphatic win for the Liberal Democrats.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

On the latest Yougov and Mori polls giving Tory majorities the Tories would still have lost Brecon to the LDs but won a majority with gains from Labour, even last night there was a Labour to Tory swing in Brecon
  • Options

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Which they won't if the government has a majority as Leave won a majority
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In an ideal world no and no guarantee it would do but if the only thing keeping most Scots and residents of Northern Ireland in the UK is being part of the EU then so be it

Well you are entitled to your opinion but IMHO national suicide was not on the ballot paper in 2016 and the reaction of most people when faced with a potential suicide case is to do everything possible to prevent it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On the latest Yougov and Mori polls giving Tory majorities the Tories would still have lost Brecon to the LDs but won a majority with gain a from Labour, even last night there was a Labour to Tory swing in Brecon
    Like we can meaningfully translate yesterday's result to what will happen in Keighley at the next GE.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I notice the Brexit supporting media in panic mode! The Daily Express for instance is now doing a not so subtle opinion poll to enthuse TBP to change allegiance back to voting Tory and for Boris! I also note that in order to move media attention from the stinging defeat in B & R. Boris Johnson is now doing similar activity in Whaley Bridge compared to Gordon Brown and the 2007 floods. Talk about shallow and utterly pathetic use of problems Johnson or Brown would never bother turning up for if a GE was not forthcoming...
  • Options

It is a period of civil war. Remainer spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Tory Empire.

During the battle, Remainer spies managed to steal secret plans to the Tories' ultimate weapon, the BORIS BOUNCER, an armored space station with enough power to knock up an entire parliamentary seat.

Pursued by the Tories' sinister agents, Princess Jo races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her party and restore freedom to the Continent....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    Can I just say that if it wasn’t for a truly brilliant and world class innings by Smith the test match would be all over. As it is England are in a very, very strong position. If they bat until mid afternoon they will be over120 runs ahead which, on that pitch, really should be enough for a decisive position.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

But you agree that the opposition have the right to test whether that majority still exists by calling a VONC.

Just like we could test whether there is a public majority for No Deal.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Looking at something that is about to collapse?

• Options

ydoethur said:

I notice the Brexit supporting media in panic mode! The Daily Express for instance is now doing a not so subtle opinion poll to enthuse TBP to change allegiance back to voting Tory and for Boris! I also note that in order to move media attention from the stinging defeat in B & R. Boris Johnson is now doing similar activity in Whaley Bridge compared to Gordon Brown and the 2007 floods. Talk about shallow and utterly pathetic use of problems Johnson or Brown would never bother turning up for if a GE was not forthcoming...
    Yes. Because they are also pig-ignorant of the nuances of Welsh politics.

It will be quite funny to watch but it is at best a self-fulfilling narrative.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited August 2019
    test
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Can I just say that if it wasn’t for a truly brilliant and world class innings by Smith the test match would be all over. As it is England are in a very, very strong position. If they bat until mid afternoon they will be over120 runs ahead which, on that pitch, really should be enough for a decisive position.

When they're all out for 283 tomorrow and Smith has scored 124 out of Australia's 200-9, we will know who to blame!
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

But you agree that the opposition have the right to test whether that majority still exists by calling a VONC.

To have a VONC the Government would to have been appointed to respect the general election result in the first place.

Just like the majority to Leave would have to have been respected before a referendum could be held to rejoin the EU rather than persist with No Deal
  • Options

Looking at a dam about to collapse?

It could be used as a metaphor for his Government... :smiley:
  • Options

Thankfully the dam doesn't appear to be as fragile as Bozo's parliamentary majority.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

When they're all out for 283 tomorrow and Smith has scored 124 out of Australia's 200-9, we will know who to blame!
    Yes, we’re doomed now.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited August 2019

It could be used as a metaphor for his Government... :smiley:
    "Dodgy but Stable"

It's not Strong 'n Stable, but it'll do.
  • Options
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    edited August 2019
    On Topic What dire polling?

Boris UnBounce

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 30% (+3)
    CON: 29% (+1)
    LDEM: 16% (-3)
    BREX: 15% (-1)
    GRN: 5% (+1)

via
    @ComRes
    , 26 - 28 Jul
    Chgs. w/ 25 Jul
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

To have a VONC the Government would to have been appointed to respect the general election result in the first place.

Just like the majority to Leave would have to have been respected before a referendum could be held to rejoin the EU rather than persist with No Deal
    We did not vote for No Deal. No Deal does not respect the result. It exploits the result for the benefit of the hard right.
  • Options
    I am puzzled by the Labour surge! I thought they have had a lousy few months. Maybe Boris repels people back to supporting Labour in ways TM did not?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    The Tory to Lab swings must be huge in some parts of the country to make sense of that poll.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

On Topic What poor performance?

Boris UnBounce

via
    @ComRes
    , 26 - 28 Jul
    Chgs. w/ 25 Jul

Even on that poll Tories still up 1% but Comres had Labour 8% in front of the LDs in the European Parliament elections too and the LDs ended up 7% ahead of Labour
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Looking at something that is about to collapse?

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1157232208781938688
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Corbyn does lead Labour at the next general election and loses and either stays Labour leader or is replaced by a Corbynista like Pidcock, Long-Bailey or McDonnell then there must be a strong possibility that the LDs will replace Labour as the main party of the centre left by the general election after next.

The European Parliament elections fired a warning shot across Labour's bows when the LDs beat Labour, the Tories listened to their warning shot when the Brexit Party beat them by picking Boris to replace May, if Labour continue to stick their fingers in their ears and stick with Corbynism they will continue to see swings against them as they did in Brecon last night

Here's an experience I am sure many of us have had. You join a project half way through. It looks fairly straight forward and it is clear enough what needs to be done. But the people on the project have become obsessed by some issue that while not totally unimportant clearly isn't the major thing that needs to be sorted out. Without knowing the background you are mystified by why it dominates discussion. But nothing you can say will shift the entrenched views of the team members who have been working on it.

That's how the Tory Party looks from the outside.

What the hell is so important about the 30th of October? And by Jove's gardener, what on earth makes you think Johnson is the answer?
    Comres today, if Boris delivers Brexit with No Deal the Tories have a 7% lead over Labour, if Boris extends again beyond October 31st the Tories collapse to 3rd behind the Brexit Party and Labour.

https://twitter.com/tianran/status/1157199736232927232?s=20
    An interesting set of scenarios/polls but what people think this side of those things happening is not necessarily the same thing as what people will end up thinking the other side of some of those things happening. A sort of Heisenberg uncertainty principle of polling.
    Reminds me of the Victoria Wood sketch about a market researcher asking someone whether in the event of a nuclear holocaust they would be likely to buy more or less Hellmann's mayonnaise.
    I assume they said less?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,432
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I’d be as worried about Warner. Can’t really see him failing twice. Class player. But 120 will be a lot in a low scoring test.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

We did not vote for No Deal. No Deal does not respect the result. It exploits the result for the benefit of the hard right.
    We voted to Leave the EU. No ifs, no buts to Leave
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Scott_P said:
    If ~30% turns out to be the ceiling, and not the floor, for the Britain Trump led Tory Party will his election be a bigger calamity than Labour electing Corbyn? I think so.
  • Options
    Polling companies havent got a scoobie doo if the range is +10 to -1.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

I am puzzled by the Labour surge! I thought they have had a lousy few months. Maybe Boris repels people back to supporting Labour in ways TM did not?
    I wouldn't draw many conclusions from one poll, or indeed one by-election. But I think that at present voting is being driven most by two questions: "Are you for or against Brexit?" and "Do you like Boris Johnson?" The effect is:

Yes/Yes: Con
    Yes/No: BXP, or tactically Con
    No/Yes: Con or LibDem, depending which matters most to you
    No/No: Lab or LibDem, whichever seems best able to win - and in most seats that is felt to be Lab

Issues like "What do you think of Corbyn/Swinson?" and "Do you approve of austerity?" have faded almost completely into the background.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    The point of a bounce is it comes back down again.
    Meanwhile the metaphor generating machine has produced again.
    Our leader surveys a long neglected edifice which has been undermined. Vast pressure is building behind threatening to sweep the entirety away, causing untold damage and distress.
    Not much to do but have optimism that a hastily patched together solution can be successful.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

On Topic What dire polling?

Boris UnBounce

via
    @ComRes
    , 26 - 28 Jul
    Chgs. w/ 25 Jul

Ohh Jeremy Corbyn !
  • Options

ComRes have gone from saying Boris Johnson would lead the Tories to 150 seat plus majority to being 1% behind in the space of a few weeks.

ComRes does not stand for Comedy Results, honest.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Imagine the sort of people that bet on this malarkey.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

HYUFD mistakenly believes that everyone who voted Leave supports Leave in any form. Deal or No Deal.

This is of course bollocks, and so undermines the rest of his 'We must No Deal' thesis.

@HYUFD should review his words about “a war” with Leavers and consider what that means in the context of Northern Ireland.
This discussion has been closed.