Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The main lesson from the Brecon result: Demonstrating the effe

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

ydoethur said:

Labour would be the strongest Party of Remain if they were Remainers.

And if my auntie had nuts she'd be my uncle.

There's no need to bring @Peter_the_Punter into the discussion. Peter's already had a fit of the vapours overnight at the sight of the B&R OMRLP candidate, Lily the Pink, flitting around the count in one of his old outfits.

The memory of those days with the "Tiller Girls" at the London Palladium are still quite raw .... and raw being the word as the outfit fell apart at the 1962 Royal Variety Performance and "Peter" was seen in the raw by HRH Duke of Edinburgh and had to seek refuge backstage from the old sea dog.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Is the Plaid membership (And I'll admit I don't know any) happy about them becoming a seemingly junior partner to the Lib Dems rather than a forthright independence for Wales party ?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

If the next GE were post-Brexit, would the Lib Dems be so keen to form a "Rejoin Alliance"?

I think so. Once you crash out with No Deal, Brejoin is the quickest way to unfuck things.
    Liberals need to start thinking about the terms though. No way to membership of the Euro.
    No Deal chaos screws everyone, if you did it quick I think you could get back in on basically the same terms, with the possible exception of the rebate. The Eurozone's got enough problems without dragging in a reluctant member with a number of unresolved internal issues.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    Pulpstar said:

If the next GE were post-Brexit, would the Lib Dems be so keen to form a "Rejoin Alliance"?

I think so. Once you crash out with No Deal, Brejoin is the quickest way to unfuck things.
    Liberals need to start thinking about the terms though. No way to membership of the Euro.
    What's actually wrong with euro membership ? A stable currency forces sensible budgets on our exchequers - with Corbyn's 2017 result fresh in the memory surely that's a good thing ?
    Also speculators can't push the Euro around as they might be able to the pound - it's simply too big.
    You're working on the assumption that discussions of the £ v ‎€ are ever rational. They aren't (and I include those in my part of the awesome foursome).
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Does anyone on here have any ideas what Boris can do regarding a "deal". The EU have said they will not renegotiate, Parliament have rejected the "deal" three times and there is no chance it will ever get through. We are a democracy and we voted for Brexit. As a democracy he must uphold that result. What the LDs and Greens etc are mandating is a rejection of democracy. Unless the EU buckles massively then No Deal will happen as parliament will not pass anything that could remotely called a deal. They have voted against every idea so far

I just heard on the news that the new LD MP has said she is going to seek out Boris to tell him of the dangers of No Deal. Why did her party vote againt the bloody deal then?

What he can do consistent with what he's said? Nothing. Even if he and the EU somehow agreed on what to do, he's ruled out the timetable extension that would be needed to do it.

What a theoretical different PM could do? Lots, most obviously Norway, with a special status for NI. But you'd have to start by saying you were no longer bound by TMay's red lines.
    Go for Norway, and he'll be booted out by the ERG immediately.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    GIN1138 said:

Swinson Of course I am appreciative of Plaid and the Greens taking the step they did.”
    Asked if this “remain alliance” would continue, she said: “Absolutely. In most constituencies across the country it will be the Liberal Democrats that are the strongest party of remain but we recognise the value in co-operating with others for that wider national goal to protect our country’s future. I think this may well be a feature of future elections. We need to be grown up about that. Grown up co-operation across parties with the national interest will continue.”

The Lib's never change do they? :D
    Another snide comment from GIN. What Jo was referring to was the whole country, not just Scotland/Wales/NI and England. Last time I was at school most meant more than 50%, and the non-England seats altogether make only about 20%
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    Nigelb said:

Dadge said:

GIN1138 said:

Why do I get the feeling the Lib-Dems won't be as keen to return the favour to Greens and Plaid next time around... ;)

The LDs aren't noted for laying aside the triumphalism after their previous little spurts. If I were Plaid and the Greens, I'd get a written commitment from JoSwin that the LDs will stand down in at least one constituency each in the event of a GE, particularly since the 'we didn't really need them anyway' noises have started.
    One? If this alliance is to work it'll need the Greens to stand aside in at least 30 seats. In return for that, I'd expect at least half a dozen seats where the LDs return the favour.
    And Plaid Cymru and the Greens have just done the LibDems a massive favour.

What did they get in return?

If the answer is nothing, then I don't think there will be many more favours.
    Okay - put your money where your mouth is. I say the Lib Dems will stand aside for Plaid in one or more Parliamentary seat at the General Election. £50 at evens? What say you?
    YBarddCwsc appears to have something of an animus against the Lib Dems, but I suspect the second part of Swinson's statement will dissuade him from taking up your ...generous... offer:
    ...but we recognise the value in co-operating with others for that wider national goal to protect our country’s future. I think this may well be a feature of future elections. We need to be grown up about that. Grown up co-operation across parties with the national interest will continue...

Clearly there will be haggling over the details, but I think it impossible to imagine that there won't be at least some give and take in the more obvious constituencies, if there is an election any time soon.
    Nigel , don't be a silly boy , she is just looking for them to give the LD's a free run, they will not reciprocate, they are chancers and it will be a one way street with that lying chancer.
  • Options

Does anyone on here have any ideas what Boris can do regarding a "deal". The EU have said they will not renegotiate, Parliament have rejected the "deal" three times and there is no chance it will ever get through. We are a democracy and we voted for Brexit. As a democracy he must uphold that result. What the LDs and Greens etc are mandating is a rejection of democracy. Unless the EU buckles massively then No Deal will happen as parliament will not pass anything that could remotely called a deal. They have voted against every idea so far

I just heard on the news that the new LD MP has said she is going to seek out Boris to tell him of the dangers of No Deal. Why did her party vote againt the bloody deal then?

Forget the WA and backstop, those are dead ends for now.

A standstill transition where we formally leave the EU, stop having MEPs etc, but everything else stays the same. The EU lose a bit of their sequencing advantage but avoid no deal. Boris gets to claim success against the odds and look statesman like. The ERG wont like it but just perhaps being in cabinet positions to negotiate a long term free trade agreement to their liking makes it acceptable to them. Tory remainers would be quite happy to vote for it.
    Will the EU and Parliament accept this?

Labour and the LDs will vote against it
  • Options

Go for Norway, and he'll be booted out by the ERG immediately.

This is true, I guess only Jeremy Corbyn can deliver Brexit. Use your tactical votes wisely, leavers.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

I'm not sure that Mike is right in his interpretation of this result. Yes, the 'Remain coalition' might have helped the LibDems to an extent, but it's not obvious that it was very important, especially since they didn't campaign on Brexit particularly. In addition, the circumstances of the by-election were extremely unusual, and national politics is in turmoil, and this is a very atypical constituency.

All in all, it probably doesn't tell us very much at all.

+1
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    On this whole thing, what happened to Canada +, Canada ++ or whatever it was as an option. I seem to remember that that was what Boris Et al were mulling over as a new basis for a plan.

Edit: Maybe its due to both 'endgames' requiring the WA, and therefore the backstop.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I think the idea that our EU friends would want the UK to join the Eurozone anytime soon is for the birds. They see us, not unreasonably, as unstable and unreliable wreckers, and they certainly don't want the Euro wrecked.
  • Options
    Markets are a bit brutal this morning , bloody Lib Dem's.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

What's actually wrong with euro membership ? A stable currency forces sensible budgets on our exchequers - with Corbyn's 2017 result fresh in the memory surely that's a good thing ?
    Also speculators can't push the Euro around as they might be able to the pound - it's simply too big.
    You're working on the assumption that discussions of the £ v ‎€ are ever rational. They aren't (and I include those in my part of the awesome foursome).
    I can understand the objections from the right, and once you get as far left as Corbyn. But what issue do those in the centre/centre-left have with it ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Dadge said:

GIN1138 said:

Why do I get the feeling the Lib-Dems won't be as keen to return the favour to Greens and Plaid next time around... ;)

The LDs aren't noted for laying aside the triumphalism after their previous little spurts. If I were Plaid and the Greens, I'd get a written commitment from JoSwin that the LDs will stand down in at least one constituency each in the event of a GE, particularly since the 'we didn't really need them anyway' noises have started.
    One? If this alliance is to work it'll need the Greens to stand aside in at least 30 seats. In return for that, I'd expect at least half a dozen seats where the LDs return the favour.

Okay - put your money where your mouth is. I say the Lib Dems will stand aside for Plaid in one or more Parliamentary seat at the General Election. £50 at evens? What say you?
    YBarddCwsc appears to have something of an animus against the Lib Dems, but I suspect the second part of Swinson's statement will dissuade him from taking up your ...generous... offer:
    ...but we recognise the value in co-operating with others for that wider national goal to protect our country’s future. I think this may well be a feature of future elections. We need to be grown up about that. Grown up co-operation across parties with the national interest will continue...

Clearly there will be haggling over the details, but I think it impossible to imagine that there won't be at least some give and take in the more obvious constituencies, if there is an election any time soon.
    Nigel , don't be a silly boy , she is just looking for them to give the LD's a free run, they will not reciprocate, they are chancers and it will be a one way street with that lying chancer.
    If you want to put a bet on with me, I'm offering £50 at evens to say the Lib Dems will stand down in seats for Plaid and the Greens at the GE.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Turnip futures on the slide ?? .... :innocent:
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

ydoethur said:

Labour would be the strongest Party of Remain if they were Remainers.

And if my auntie had nuts she'd be my uncle.

Raises an interesting question about the euro-purity vs hypocrisy of the Lib Dems though. In the hypothetical event that Labour became the "strongest Party of Remain", would the Lib Dems decide to largely leave the field to them, rather than gamble on the Brexit crisis as their best opportunity to supplant Labour?

What are the chances of a successful Labour coup before the next election? With the largely pro-Remain membership, Corbyn would surely find it hard to work his magic third time around.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I can understand the objections from the right, and once you get as far left as Corbyn. But what issue do those in the centre/centre-left have with it ?
    That you're effectively giving up national control over interest rates, and ultimately spending levels.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Dadge said:

GIN1138 said:

If you want to put a bet on with me, I'm offering £50 at evens to say the Lib Dems will stand down in seats for Plaid and the Greens at the GE.
    I know nothing of Plaid and Greens down south so will pass on your kind offer
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

I may be eating them soon.
    Could end up like Welsh lambs and having to burn them on pyres
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Plaid Cymru did stand down; the LibDems did win. How closely those two things were connected is less clear. You can slice and dice close results to reach many different conclusions. The Boris bounce is over; Jo Swinson finding her way to the constituency was key. Of course, many on the blue team will say if only TBP had not stood. Some in Labour as well, as they seemed to be leaking votes to Farage's man.

I agree with this. Any Plaid voters willing to vote for the Liberal Democrats would have done so in 2017. The tiny handful left probably account for the depressed turnout.

What boosted the Liberal Democrats appears to have been significant switching from Labour and the Tories. That might be due to remain, or Johnson and Corbyn, or Davies' conviction, or even just a desire to shake things up.

@SouthamObserver - this hasn't been a safe seat for anybody since Brynmawr was removed in the 1970s. It is always marginal. Whatever the headline result the voters will change things around, sometimes very unexpectedly as in 1992 and 2015. So it is not 'a good result for the Liberal Democrats in a safe Tory seat.' That said, it was a good result.
    Brynmawr was not removed from the seat until the boundary changes which took effect at the 1983 election.
  • Options

Much though I admire Frank Field in certain respects, there is a huge dollop of absurdity in forming a party that can, by definition, only ever have one MP and therefore cannot constitute a Parliamentary "group" under any circumstances.

I also quite like the pledges... "Abolish child poverty IN BIRKENHEAD!" "Protect every worker IN BIRKENHEAD from low pay!".

You can picture someone saying, "but I'm from Runcorn, Frank" and him replying, "well then, I don't give a stuff whether your child has shoes and you're paid a farthing a day".

Hes trying to get elected in Birkenhead, not Runcorn, and he isn't looking to form a government. Kidderminster health concern.........
    Kidderminster Health Concern was a bit different. Sure it was single issue at the start, but it's a bit of branding to win the seat (although not the campaign as it turned out, I believe).

Frank Field is already the independent MP for Birkenhead. So it's not just not clear what his announcement is about, in that he's just saying "I'll continue in the same vein... end of press conference".

If it was the Merseyside Social Justice Party, that holds out the prospect of a wider movement, and is potentially interesting. As it is, he's just rebranded Frank Field as Frank Field with a new website.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Political cowardice and an aversion to thinking.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Dadge said:

GIN1138 said:

It will all be about self interest, of course.
    But in this case, and for the time being, the parties' interests align.

I don't expect deals in many seats, but I'd be quite surprised of there aren't some.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Dadge said:

GIN1138 said:

Which admission makes your blanket statement, "she is just looking for them to give the LD's a free run, they will not reciprocate, they are chancers and it will be a one way street with that lying chancer" look even more utterly ludicrous.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Wow.

"The yield on Germany’s 30-year bonds has turned negative for the first time following Donald Trump’s tariff announcement, meaning its entire yield curve is now underwater." - Telegraph business
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770

Scott_P said:
    Does he have a chance? Looks like they have only had 3 different MPs since 1950 which should be in his favour. Are there any seats with only 2 MPs since then?
    Bolsover was formed in 1950 and has had only Dennis Skinner and Harold Neal (who indeed represented the predecessor seat of Clay Cross from 1944).
    Impressive loyalty! Thanks
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    justin124 said:

Brynmawr was not removed from the seat until the boundary changes which took effect at the 1983 election.

Bryn Mawr is an affluent suburb of Philadelphia, with lots of nice shops and cultural activities. I visited numerous times.

I then made the mistake of visiting Brynmawr, in November.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/DrAlanWager/status/1157242092483166208

Please, please let Liberals take Raab's seat!
  • Options

A standstill transition where we formally leave the EU, stop having MEPs etc, but everything else stays the same. The EU lose a bit of their sequencing advantage but avoid no deal. Boris gets to claim success against the odds and look statesman like. The ERG wont like it but just perhaps being in cabinet positions to negotiate a long term free trade agreement to their liking makes it acceptable to them. Tory remainers would be quite happy to vote for it.

I think the only potential blockage (as with all sensible brexits) is the ERG.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Even before Brexit you'd get absolutely battered by the right wing press over it, ably assisted by the BBC etc recycling the headlines - Euroff Your Head! and so on. In 2014 the Euro option should have been a perfectly viable option for discussion for an indy Scotland but the Yes campaign ran scared. I hope they'll be a bit more ballsy the next time.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710

Much though I admire Frank Field in certain respects, there is a huge dollop of absurdity in forming a party that can, by definition, only ever have one MP and therefore cannot constitute a Parliamentary "group" under any circumstances.

I also quite like the pledges... "Abolish child poverty IN BIRKENHEAD!" "Protect every worker IN BIRKENHEAD from low pay!".

You can picture someone saying, "but I'm from Runcorn, Frank" and him replying, "well then, I don't give a stuff whether your child has shoes and you're paid a farthing a day".

Hes trying to get elected in Birkenhead, not Runcorn, and he isn't looking to form a government. Kidderminster health concern.........
    Kidderminster Health Concern was a bit different. Sure it was single issue at the start, but it's a bit of branding to win the seat (although not the campaign as it turned out, I believe).

Frank Field is already the independent MP for Birkenhead. So it's not just not clear what his announcement is about, in that he's just saying "I'll continue in the same vein... end of press conference".

If it was the Merseyside Social Justice Party, that holds out the prospect of a wider movement, and is potentially interesting. As it is, he's just rebranded Frank Field as Frank Field with a new website.
    Correct, and its probably all irrelevant anyway. Labour will whallop him. Tribalism and the Labour name is huge in Merseyside. I can't even see him splitting the vote, and letting the evil baby eating Tories in. Labour is so far ahead, they could lose 20,000 votes and still have a majority that Amber Rudd would kill for.

Best he'll manage is 4,000 votes and trim the Labour majority a tiny bit.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

I was listening to Jess Philips earlier in the week being interviewed and she was very clear. Show would vote against any deal. It is not just the ERG that have entrenched positions.
  • Options

Corbyn will object if that is Boris' plan.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Ydoethur said:

'Even in 1997 there was no tactical voting in this seat. None. This is a big and for Labour disturbing change.

As for activists, they may have helped but I see little evidence their voters did (not that there were any Green voters in the seat last time.'

There most certainly was tactical voting here in 1997 when Labour's vote share was 3% lower than had been achieved in the Tory landslide year of 1987. Indeed given the national swing, Labour would have been in serious contention to win the seat in 1997 - but tactical voting prevented that as sufficient Labour voters switched to the LibDems to reverse the narrow Tory gain of 1992.

So how do you account for a Labour vote effectively holding steady (up in relative, down in absolute) terms? This in a seat with a popular local(ish) Tory MP who as late as April was thought to be the only one in Wales with a chance of holding his seat, and an undoubtedly popular and successful local Liberal Democrat 130 votes behind him?

If ever there was a seat where there should have been huge tactical voting in 1997 this was it. But it didn't happen.
    On the basis of what was happening nationally in 1997 , Labour could reasonably have expected to add 8% - 10% to its 1992 vote share. That did not happen - largely because of the very narrow Tory gain in 1992 . Voters perceived Livesey to be the stronger anti - Tory alternative , and sufficient voted for him tactically to oust the Tory and effectively denied Labour the circa 35% vote share it otherwise could have obtained.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited August 2019

Scott_P said:
    Does he have a chance? Looks like they have only had 3 different MPs since 1950 which should be in his favour. Are there any seats with only 2 MPs since then?
    Bolsover was formed in 1950 and has had only Dennis Skinner and Harold Neal (who indeed represented the predecessor seat of Clay Cross from 1944).
    Impressive loyalty! Thanks
    FWIW, the nearest others I found which have largely survived boundary changes with three MPs are:

Derby South (Nobel Prize winner Philip Noel-Baker 1950-1970, but MP for the whole of Derby 1936-50, then Walter Johnson 1970-83, and Margaret Beckett since then).

Gainsborough, which has had three MPs since 1924 (Harry Crookshank 1924-56, Marcus Kimball 1956-83, and Edward Leigh since then). I don't know if Leigh plans one more term, but a century with only three MPs would be quite a landmark.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Dadge said:

GIN1138 said:

Magnanimous as ever Malcolm!
    The difficulty in the LDs standing down for the Greens, is finding any constituencies where they are competitive. Brighton Pavilion's a no-brainer, but they did that last time. The other one last time was Skipton and Ripon, no-one noticed but it probably saved £500 for the local party. I'm sure the Greens could nominate a couple of target seats but they aren't close anywhere else.

And 2 possible seats - Solihull and Bristol West - would be particularly difficult as they were Lib Dem held in recent history.

It's actually easier to identify seats to stand down in for Plaid.

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Dadge said:

GIN1138 said:

SNIP

SNIP

SNIP
    Which admission makes your blanket statement, "she is just looking for them to give the LD's a free run, they will not reciprocate, they are chancers and it will be a one way street with that lying chancer" look even more utterly ludicrous.
    Not if you go on their past record as unprincipled lying toerags. They cannot be trusted , serial liars and she is one of the worst and her voting record is shocking. Worse than any right wing Tory. She for sure will be all for herself , then Lib Dems, the other parties will be just there as cannon fodder, to be used and abused as required. Nothing ludicrous about it, leopards do not change their spots.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    I think this election takes us a further step to result most of the nation want. Brexit with a mutually beneficial to the UK and EU. Labour looks increasingly weak and with so many of the key marginals Labour/Conservative battles the chances of Corbyn triggering a VONC surely are reducing. No deal won't benefit either party so some agreement must be on the cards. With a weak Labour Johnson's electoral chances look very good, so the ball is in the EU court now, don't act and a harmful Brexit for them is on the cards.
  • Options
    Any news on the B&R postal vote allocation yet?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Lamb and turnip fine pies ?!? ..... a sure fire winner .... :smile:
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Dadge said:

GIN1138 said:

SNIP

SNIP

SNIP
    Not if you go on their past record as unprincipled lying toerags. They cannot be trusted , serial liars and she is one of the worst and her voting record is shocking. Worse than any right wing Tory. She for sure will be all for herself , then Lib Dems, the other parties will be just there as cannon fodder, to be used and abused as required. Nothing ludicrous about it, leopards do not change their spots.
    Well, take my bet then.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    macisback said:

I think this election takes us a further step to result most of the nation want. Brexit with a mutually beneficial to the UK and EU. Labour looks increasingly weak and with so many of the key marginals Labour/Conservative battles the chances of Corbyn triggering a VONC surely are reducing. No deal won't benefit either party so some agreement must be on the cards. With a weak Labour Johnson's electoral chances look very good, so the ball is in the EU court now, don't act and a harmful Brexit for them is on the cards.

Oh, yes, they are shit scared !
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Unless and until Labour become an actual Remain party (and can convince enough Lib Dem MPs/members/potential voters of the fact), then (outside of Wales) the "Remain Alliance" boils down to the Greens agreeing to stand aside almost everywhere and support the Lib Dem candidate. Since this would effectively reverse most of the credibility they've painstakingly built up over the last few decades as a proper party, they'd effectively be gambling their entire movement on a single issue, and one that isn't even their stated raison d'etre.

Granted, there are a few areas of Wales where Plaid are also a factor, as was the case in Brecon. However, there is basically zero chance of a similar deal ever happening with the SNP. And most of the remaining independents will either be standing down or standing on their own terms at the next election - if they wanted to work with Lib Dems, they'd just join them (some might still), and since they have given up any pretence of starting a full party, they have nothing to offer in reciprocity.

Collaboration might work for a one-off by election, but it has a long way to go to take hold in a General Election. The harder it is for voters to determine whether Labour or the Lib Dems are likely to be ahead in any given constituency, the more split the Remain vote becomes, and the better things get for the Tories.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    I like the 8% BXP vote post No Deal Brexit.

Presumably nothing less than concentration camps for foreigners and rebuilding bomber command to flatten German cities will satisfy them!

If even No Deal wouldn't get them voting Tory then nothing else will!
    It is a f**king disgrace that this country is going to have endure self-inflicted economic collapse because of around 18-20% of the voting public.

It seems things are going to get a whole lot worse before they get better.

I am genuinely terrified for the near-term future of Britain.

and yet you probably didnt think that in 2005 when Blair fked the place up with about 23% of the vote
    What ever your views of Blair's governments and policies, nothing he did comes close to the insanity of No Deal Brexit.
    so the great financial crisis is just like a small irritant ?

it didnt have any effect on the UK or shape the current political climate ?

The global financial crisis was global, hence the name. It started in America and was neither caused nor exacerbated by Tony Blair, Gordon Brown or, for that matter, Boris Johnson.

Brexit, on the other hand, is a purely Conservative concoction, as is driving over the edge of a cliff. You can't even blame Eton because although it did give us the three main protagonists, Cameron, Boris and JRM, it did also nurture Rory the Europhile Tory.
    yeah youve been pumping that GFC bollocks for years, keep believing, no one else does
    Everyone else does which is why Google has 20 million search results for global financial crisis, and there is a Wikipedia page (possibly more than one) and umpteen Youtube videos. Everyone apart from a few numpties still parroting George Osborne's ge2010 attack lines, when even he had his fingers crossed behind his back, and has subsequently said Labour got it right.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited August 2019

Correct, and its probably all irrelevant anyway. Labour will whallop him. Tribalism and the Labour name is huge in Merseyside. I can't even see him splitting the vote, and letting the evil baby eating Tories in. Labour is so far ahead, they could lose 20,000 votes and still have a majority that Amber Rudd would kill for.

I think he'll do quite a bit better than that, but still lose. He's box office in Birkenhead to be fair - he's been there for 40 years and is pretty assiduous, not just cruising in on the brand (although he could've afforded to).

Note that John Browne got 3,000 in Winchester in 1992 despite having a much shorter tenure and being deselected under a cloud of scandal.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    @ydoethur

The point that I have a deeply sub-optimal knowledge of the electoral landscape of rural Wales is well made and duly taken on board.

But ...

No, why must one always struggle for a but.

But nothing.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    The Brecon result was entirely in line with Yougov and Mori giving a Boris majority, Remain Alliance or not
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Labour are already on course to lose bucketloads of votes to other parties, many and various. They can't poll in the 20s and for there not to be some dramatic results. These are not ordinary times.
  • Options
    The real winners of this by election were the greens and BXP. The greens will, rightly, demand 5-10 open goal seats as the price of continuing the alliance otherwise their voters will not back the LDs in winnable seats. BXP have shown they can destroy the tories chances without a similar deal. BXP voters will only support the tories with the word from Nigel Farage and he has no reason whatsoever to back the tories without a quid pro quo which will give his party a seat at the post election negotiations. He, rightly, does not trust Johnson not to sell out. A coupon election beckons.
  • Options

10% swing sounds massive but here is a simple sample. Con 32% down 10%, LD 17% up 10%. Not impossible in current circumstances. There is no Green/PC alliance assumed here.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382

macisback said:

Oh, yes, they are shit scared !
    Who said anything about being shit scared. The position now is they have to move or hurt themselves as well as our great nation. Not a great position for the new President to inherit. The WA will be amended and get through parliament I predict.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Dadge said:

GIN1138 said:

The difficulty in the LDs standing down for the Greens, is finding any constituencies where they are competitive. Brighton Pavilion's a no-brainer, but they did that last time. The other one last time was Skipton and Ripon, no-one noticed but it probably saved £500 for the local party. I'm sure the Greens could nominate a couple of target seats but they aren't close anywhere else.

And 2 possible seats - Solihull and Bristol West - would be particularly difficult as they were Lib Dem held in recent history.

A bit surprised that the Libdem did stand aside at Skipton and Ripon in view of the electoral history of the area. David Austick famously did win the Ripon by election for the Liberals in July 1973 on the same day that Clement Freud triumphed at the Isle of Ely. At Skipton Claire Brooks came very close to winning in the 1970s.
  • Options

Wow.

"The yield on Germany’s 30-year bonds has turned negative for the first time following Donald Trump’s tariff announcement, meaning its entire yield curve is now underwater." - Telegraph business

So Switzerland is also underwater ? Why is everyone with money moving their funds there ?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,823
    Scott_P said:
    This is the thing. If Labour had the courage of their collective convictions they would throw everything into preventing a Oct 31 departure. If they succeeded they would destroy Johnson's premiership and enormously increase Lab's chances at the next election.

But they don't and they won't.

Instead, Lab will fuck around, we'll leave on time(ish), Con will get its @HYUFD victory, and Lab won't be in power for years and years. Not since IDS's tenure have I seen a party so unconcerned with achieving power and so shit at the actual mechanisms of politics.
  • Options

The real winners of this by election were the greens and BXP. The greens will, rightly, demand 5-10 open goal seats as the price of continuing the alliance otherwise their voters will not back the LDs in winnable seats. BXP have shown they can destroy the tories chances without a similar deal. BXP voters will only support the tories with the word from Nigel Farage and he has no reason whatsoever to back the tories without a quid pro quo which will give his party a seat at the post election negotiations. He, rightly, does not trust Johnson not to sell out. A coupon election beckons.

All the BXP are doing is making Brexit even more impossible to carry out.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Brecon result was entirely in line with Yougov and Mori giving a Boris majority, Remain Alliance or not

But the 1.4% Lab to Con swing implies a Tory lead of circa 5% - not 10%. The decline in Labour's vote share would suggest a national share of 28.5%.
  • Options

If there is a Tory-BXP deal [ Trump deal ? ], all Remain voting Tories [ whatever is left ] will vote LD.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Corbyn will object if that is Boris' plan.
    Of course plenty will be against but if 90% of the ERG vote for it there would be enough votes.

I do fail to see what anyone who claims to either want Brexit or to uphold the referendum can legitimately have against this. It is us leaving, without catastrophe, and the type of brexit is undecided. With no current govt majority it would essentially be Brexit with the public deciding on the future relationship through a subsequent GE.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Alternatively:
    - The Greens have demonstrated categorically that, when they do stand, they act as an impediment to their stated objectives by splitting the left wing vote and letting the Tories in; and
    - Voters should now be clear that voting Brexit Party splits the right wing vote and lets Remainers in.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

10% swing sounds massive but here is a simple sample. Con 32% down 10%, LD 17% up 10%. Not impossible in current circumstances. There is no Green/PC alliance assumed here.
    I think this analysis is misguided - it's considering 20% swings from Con --> Lib but not 25-30% swings from Lab --> Lib (which would bring plenty of e.g. London seats into play). The latter are far more likely than the former, given the Remain:Leave makeup of each party's vote.
  • Options

I think he'll do quite a bit better than that, but still lose. He's box office in Birkenhead to be fair - he's been there for 40 years and is pretty assiduous, not just cruising in on the brand (although he could've afforded to).

Note that John Browne got 3,000 in Winchester in 1992 despite having a much shorter tenure and being deselected under a cloud of scandal.
    Personally I would vote for Frank Field - but I expect him to lose.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

But the 1.4% Lab to Con swing implies a Tory lead of circa 5% - not 10%. The decline in Labour's vote share would suggest a national share of 28.5%.
    Labour was already starting from a low base in Brecon unlike nationally
  • Options
    justin124 said:

tpfkar said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Dadge said:

GIN1138 said:

A bit surprised that the Libdem did stand aside at Skipton and Ripon in view of the electoral history of the area. David Austick famously did win the Ripon by election for the Liberals in July 1973 on the same day that Clement Freud triumphed at the Isle of Ely. At Skipton Claire Brooks came very close to winning in the 1970s.
    one of the norwich seats used to be a top target for greens.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    Endillion said:

Alternatively:
    - The Greens have demonstrated categorically that, when they do stand, they act as an impediment to their stated objectives by splitting the left wing vote and letting the Tories in; and
    - Voters should now be clear that voting Brexit Party splits the right wing vote and lets Remainers in.
    Also, where are these magical 5 - 10 open goal seats for the Greens if only the LDs stand down (that aren't already held by LDs)?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    This is the thing. If Labour had the courage of their collective convictions they would throw everything into preventing a Oct 31 departure. If they succeeded they would destroy Johnson's premiership and enormously increase Lab's chances at the next election.

Instead, Lab will fuck around, we'll leave on time(ish), Con will get its @HYUFD victory, and Lab won't be in power for years and years. Not since IDS's tenure have I seen a party so unconcerned with achieving power and so shit at the actual mechanisms of politics.
    What makes you think this? They were pretty unified and determined in preventing May from taking us out on time, what makes you think that's changed?
  • Options
    148grss said:

Endillion said:

Alternatively:
    Also, where are these magical 5 - 10 open goal seats for the Greens if only the LDs stand down (that aren't already held by LDs)?
    Yep, it's odd. It would have to be currently a Tory held seat, which would 'go green'. aint many of them.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Labour was already starting from a low base in Brecon unlike nationally
    Not that low! Moreover, tactical anti-Tory voting will likely have exaggerated any underlying decline in Labour's vote share.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Alternatively:
    It happened in Northern Ireland all the time.

For example, in 1997, Willie Thompson, UUP, won West Tyrone on only 34.6%, whereas the combined SF+SDLP vote was 63.0% (SF 30.9, SDLP 32.1).

Conversely, in South Belfast in 2005, Alasdair McDonnell (SDLP) won on only 32.3%, whereas the combined UUP+DUP vote was 51.1% (DUP 28.4, UUP 22.7).
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

The geniuses at work in Corbyn's back office are betting the farm on a Boris No Deal being so damaging that in the chaos Neo-Communist Labour get into power.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    macisback said:

Most of the nation wants? Where does that idea come from?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Labour voted against the Withdrawal Agreement, in that poll had it passed Labour would be narrowly, Labour also voted against No Deal which on that poll gives a Tory majority and Labour voted to extend Article 50 which if done again sees the Tories fall to third behind Labour and the Brexit Party on the same poll
  • Options
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Lamb and turnip fine pies ?!? ..... a sure fire winner .... :smile:
    Jack , You could produce them at your fine pies facility
  • Options

Wow.

So Switzerland is also underwater ? Why is everyone with money moving their funds there ?
    It kept gold reserves safe from Nazi Germany, it's surrounded by mountains, poor people are illegal and everybody owns a gun. Not my first choice of a place to live, but rich people seem to like it.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

The geniuses at work in Corbyn's back office are betting the farm on a Boris No Deal being so damaging that in the chaos Neo-Communist Labour get into power.
    Really? Has this changed since May, where they clearly acted to force her to extend rather than to force her to No Deal?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

I do fail to see what anyone who claims to either want Brexit or to uphold the referendum can legitimately have against this. It is us leaving, without catastrophe, and the type of brexit is undecided. With no current govt majority it would essentially be Brexit with the public deciding on the future relationship through a subsequent GE.

Your view is close to mine. We will get a negotiated Brexit before a general election and Johnson will deliver it.

But as per PT, what I envisage is that this means the WA (with tinkering) and that it will not be resolved until next year.

Then an election.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Dadge said:

GIN1138 said:

YSNIP

TPFKAR, I am a tad biased against the Lib Dems to be fair.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

On that poll No Deal is the only way to ensure Corbyn Labour do not get into power, indeed the main beneficiaries of No Deal would likely be the LDs ultimately rather than Corbyn Labour
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Dadge said:

GIN1138 said:

In 2017 the LibDems didn't stand in Skip & Rip in return for the Greens not standing in Harrogate. Julian Smith just about managed to hold off the Green challenge.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Endillion said:

Alternatively:
    There's no open goals. But the Greens might settle for some of:

Isle of Wight
    Sheffield Central
    The three Brighton seats
    Skipton & Ripon
    Edinburgh North

Bristol West would be a stretch, given the LD's own history there.

More generally, I wonder whether some sort of internal auction system could be set up between the parties' respective staff, whereby the LDs would pick e.g. 4 seats, then the Greens 1, and repeat, with some sort of veto procedure included. The overall outcome would then have to be put to the relevant Executive bodies.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Your view is close to mine. We will get a negotiated Brexit before a general election and Johnson will deliver it.

But as per PT, what I envisage is that this means the WA (with tinkering) and that it will not be resolved until next year.

Then an election.
    Every indication is that this would be electoral suicide for the Tories. Why would they go along with it?
  • Options

More generally, I wonder whether some sort of internal auction system could be set up between the parties' respective staff, whereby the LDs would pick e.g. 4 seats, then the Greens 1, and repeat, with some sort of veto procedure included. The overall outcome would then have to be put to the relevant Executive bodies.

Maybe not the Greens' thing but I feel like betting should be involved somehow.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076
    HYUFD said:

Just like the Copeland result was entirely in line with the polls giving a May landslide...
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

148grss said:

Endillion said:

Alternatively:

Isle of Wight
    Sheffield Central
    The three Brighton seats
    Skipton & Ripon
    Edinburgh North

On Edinburgh: the Scottish Greens are their own party, and LDs are not proposing alliances in Scotland as they refuse to work with SNP.

Those other seats, yeah, maybe.

I just don't see Greens being able to run an election that can win those seats: we don't have the infrastructure, data and will to do that even in those areas.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307
    edited August 2019

148grss said:

Endillion said:

Alternatively:

Isle of Wight
    Sheffield Central
    The three Brighton seats
    Skipton & Ripon
    Edinburgh North

The Lib Dems got 3% in Brighton Kemptown in 2017 (Greens didn't bother standing). In Hove, the Lib Dems and Green got 4% combined.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    edited August 2019

148grss said:

Endillion said:

Alternatively:

Isle of Wight
    Sheffield Central
    The three Brighton seats
    Skipton & Ripon
    Edinburgh North

It’s obvious you are a conservative, floating such a top down solution.

Both the Greens and LibDems are more decentralised with more power at constituency level than you are used to. If there isn’t a national agreement then any process would have to be bottom up. Open joint selection is a possibility.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

148grss said:

Endillion said:

Alternatively:

Isle of Wight
    Sheffield Central
    The three Brighton seats
    Skipton & Ripon
    Edinburgh North

An interesting notion.
    There's also Sheffield Central and Norwich South ?
  • Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

Endillion said:

Alternatively:

Isle of Wight
    Sheffield Central
    The three Brighton seats
    Skipton & Ripon
    Edinburgh North

On Edinburgh: the Scottish Greens are their own party, and LDs are not proposing alliances in Scotland as they refuse to work with SNP.

I just don't see Greens being able to run an election that can win those seats: we don't have the infrastructure, data and will to do that even in those areas.
    If there is an alliance there is a secondary question as to the extent that the parties will be willing to help each other out locally, particularly where target seats aren’t thick on the ground and activists would rather not travel. In B&R there was active help from both PC and Greens at member/councillor level, although all the organisation was supplied by the LDs.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

148grss said:

Endillion said:

Alternatively:

Isle of Wight
    Sheffield Central
    The three Brighton seats
    Skipton & Ripon
    Edinburgh North

It’s obvious you are a conservative, floating such a top down solution.

Both the Greens and LibDems are more decentralised with more power at constituency level than you are used to. If there isn’t a national agreement then any process would have to be bottom up. Open joint selection is a possibility.
    Oh, it would have to be a national agreement; I'm just floating how it could work in practice. And no doubt some constituency parties might be very unhappy. FWIW, Tory Associations would be too, which is (inter alia) why I never subscribed to the notion that a Brexit Party pact was likely.
  • Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

Endillion said:

Alternatively:

Isle of Wight
    Sheffield Central
    The three Brighton seats
    Skipton & Ripon
    Edinburgh North

No, but you might start with clear second places in future.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Alternatively:

In Peterborough, voting Tory let Labour in.
  • Options

148grss said:

Endillion said:

Alternatively:

Isle of Wight
    Sheffield Central
    The three Brighton seats
    Skipton & Ripon
    Edinburgh North

Let's all have a combinatorial clock auction!
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710

All the BXP are doing is making Brexit even more impossible to carry out.
    Of course!

I mean, if they actually win, they'll have nothing to moan about will they?
  • Options
    Anorak said:
    "Lots of love", as David Cameron memorably believed?
  • Options

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

What makes you think this? They were pretty unified and determined in preventing May from taking us out on time, what makes you think that's changed?
    Although many in Labour did vote as you describe, some did not. Although that is not a sin (no party is 100% unified) each movement was also accompanied by contrary voices in Labour and a sense of lassitude or lack of engagement. The only people fired up with passion and determination to Leave regardless are Tory Leavers such as the ERG, and the only people passionate in the other direction are Tory Remainers and the Libs. I believe you when you say that it did what it did. My point is that it is reluctant, disengaged, and ignoring other opportunities. If one wishes to choose a Remain or FTT advocate, Labour do not at the moment stand out.
  • Options

148grss said:

Endillion said:

Alternatively:

Isle of Wight
    Sheffield Central
    The three Brighton seats
    Skipton & Ripon
    Edinburgh North

Anyone get the feeling that the Great British Public might start to look dimmily on that kind of horse trading of seats. Not very democratic is it...
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Part of Corbyn's long game. Change is coming!!
    https://twitter.com/andrewspoooner/status/1157252062519992320
This discussion has been closed.