Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another Westminster by-election possibility opens up for the L

124»

Comments

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    justin124 said:

The trend in these ComRes polls is a bit unfortunate for Johnson, isn't it?

June 11 (for the Telegraph): CON 37%; LAB 22% (maj. ~140)
    July 8 (for the Telegraph): CON 32%; LAB 25% (maj ~40)
    July 16 (for Britain Elects): CON 32%; LAB 29% (~15 short of a majority)

And now: CON 28%; LAB 27% (~45 short of a majority)

The earlier polls listed there were entirely hypothetical though. Some of us did suggest that they were best ignored.
    Most polls are best ignored. But that isn't going to stop us talking the hell out of this set until the decimal points start making us bleed.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2019

As he put the finishing touches to his Cabinet and his first speech, Mr Johnson ordered burgers from Byron.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7293253/Inside-story-Boris-Johnsons-burger-coup.html

Is this the equivalent of Trump eating well-done steak with ketchup?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    FF43 said:

It looks like a 35% strategy for Johnson. Conservative gains are entirely at the expense of the Brexit Party. There is a potential combined pool of 45% of the vote. A proportion of the Brexit Party vote will presumably remain loyal, hence the 35%. There is no movement in or out of the Con+BP block, although there is movement between parties within the opposition block. Whether 35% will get Johnson the convincing win be is looking for would in that case depend entirely on the distribution of votes within the opposition block.

(There are many possibilities of those assumptions being overturned, but I think that's the situation right now).

The one outlier is Ipsos Mori, which had a CON+BXP aggregate of 38% in their last poll.

If they're right, and the other polling firms are wrong it would make all the difference.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

***** Betting Post *****
    Considering that most bookies make it an evens chance or thereabouts that there will be a GE this calendar year, it's surprising that thus far there are no betting markets, nor spead-betting prices, on the number of seats each of the three major parties are likely to win.
    Deducting the current number of SNP seats, those held by the N.I. parties, Plaid, etc, the combined haul of Tory, Labour and LiBDem seats appears likely to total approx 580 seats.
    My first stab at how these might shake out, with a 20 seat spread of seats looks something like this to me:
    Tory ....... 260 - 280
    Labour .... 220 - 240
    LibDem ..... 70 - 90
    What kind of split of seats between the parties do other PBers anticipate?
    One outcome does look very unlikely and that's an overall majority for any party. That's where the betting angle comes into play with those nice folf at Ladbrokes (and presumably Corals also) offering seemingly generous "boosted" odds of 0.7/1 on there being no overall majority ... that looks like value to me but DYOR.

Is anyone going to be really brave and suggest that the LibDems' haul of GE seats could run well into 3 figures? At what share of the popular vote, do seats start to really tumble their way?
    Only if they are mental
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    Scott_P said:
    Don't tell me she has actually grown a pair and is going to stick to her position. Believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    PClipp said:

justin124 said:

Interesting polls tonight with perhaps Comres yet to come. The switch from Brexit Party to the Tories is hardly surprising. Overall they confirm my expectation of polarisation with the combined two party vote unlikely to fall below 65% in a GE. Still a very clear Yougov house effect. LibDems probably somewhat disappointed re-Swinson bounce.

With Swinson urging Corbyn to initiate a Vote of No Confifence against the Gov't, she's clearly going to be identified as Labour's key ally both before and after the GE. In such circumstances she can forget all about any bounce in her favour.
    Identifying as Labour’s key ally will damage her in her battle to defeat the SNP in East Dunbartonshire. She is entirely dependent on mass SCon tactical voting to hold the seat.
    I thought that Jo Swinson was actually challenging the Labour leadership to finally stand up to this rotten Tory government and stop being a door mat. She is not identifying the Lib Dems as supporters of the cowardly Labour leaders, but inviting them to join the Lib Dems in confronting this Tory dictatorship. Not much chance that Corbyn and his controllers will do anything of the sort though!
    Dictatorship - lol
  • Options

Floater said:

Jeremy Corbyn is planning to almost double the level of tax on thousands of companies across Britain, one of the country's most prominent law firms has warned.

In a briefing for clients, Herbert Smith Freehills said Labour's economic blueprint includes the equivalent of a corporation tax rate of up to 32 per cent, compared to the 17 per cent rate due to come into force next year.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/27/jeremy-corbyn-planning-almost-double-tax-burden-british-businesses/amp/

Let's be honest, a corp. tax rate of 32% isn't going to keep any Labour or Labour-leaning voters up at night. Brazil has a corp. tax rate of 34%. India 35%.
    Businesses will be less attracted to these shores with everything that means- you get that right?

Brexit has done more to deter business investment than anything Corbyn will ever do.
    Evidence please
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    FF43 said:

It looks like a 35% strategy for Johnson. Conservative gains are entirely at the expense of the Brexit Party. There is a potential combined pool of 45% of the vote. A proportion of the Brexit Party vote will presumably remain loyal, hence the 35%. There is no movement in or out of the Con+BP block, although there is movement between parties within the opposition block. Whether 35% will get Johnson the convincing win be is looking for would in that case depend entirely on the distribution of votes within the opposition block.

(There are many possibilities of those assumptions being overturned, but I think that's the situation right now).

There is also a significant proportion of that BP bloc who wouldn't vote Tory under any circumstances. This we learned when people added Con +UKIP together before 2017.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Do you expect Boris to bad as much of a disaster on the campaign as May?

May got 42% in the election. What changed was the Labour vote. That’s the key to all this. Can Labour match Johnson’s claw back of BXP voters? What there is no evidence of so far is the Tories taking 2017 Labour votes. For Johnson to have any degree of confidence of victory that’s what he needs. It’s clearly what he’s after.

Valid point! Although to an extent the addition of the Labour 2017 vote may to some extent have been a consequence of the Tory campaign

Also, Corbyn is less popular than in 2017, and has angered remainers

Also also, warnings of a Corbyn government unless you vote Tory will be more prescient than in 2017, when Labour surprised bigly. I think that could be worth 2 or 3 % to the Tories

Just my tuppence :)

My guess is that Johnson inspires a lot more visceral dislike among 2017 Labour GE voters than May ever did. That may help nudge Labour upwards. But Corbyn is clearly a millstone around the party’s neck. The Tories need him to stay in place.

Yes - Johnson is every bit as Marmite as Corbyn - though far more malign and disreputable.
    Bless
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Jeremy Corbyn is planning to almost double the level of tax on thousands of companies across Britain, one of the country's most prominent law firms has warned.

In a briefing for clients, Herbert Smith Freehills said Labour's economic blueprint includes the equivalent of a corporation tax rate of up to 32 per cent, compared to the 17 per cent rate due to come into force next year.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/27/jeremy-corbyn-planning-almost-double-tax-burden-british-businesses/amp/

Let's be honest, a corp. tax rate of 32% isn't going to keep any Labour or Labour-leaning voters up at night. Brazil has a corp. tax rate of 34%. India 35%.
    Businesses will be less attracted to these shores with everything that means- you get that right?

Brexit has done more to deter business investment than anything Corbyn will ever do.
    Evidence please
    Just look up investment stats of the last 2 years.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,719

FF43 said:

The one outlier is Ipsos Mori, which had a CON+BXP aggregate of 38% in their last poll.

If they're right, and the other polling firms are wrong it would make all the difference.
    I am happy to believe the 45% English sovereigntist vote. It has been consistent since the 2017 General Election. It doesn't seem to be changing with the Johnson regime.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008

LOL

So we have three polls showing substantial Boris bounces, but the poll from the firm that showed a large hypothetical Boris bounce... does not.

Has Johnson been to campaign in Brecon and Radnorshire?
    Excuse me, even Comres tonight has gone from the Tories 3 points behind Labour to ahead of Labour.

The other polls tonight give the Tories bigger leads and put them back at the 30%+ mark.

Thanks to Boris the Tories are now in the lead again, a lead that could expand if the Brexit Party can be squeezed further
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,719
    dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

There is also a significant proportion of that BP bloc who wouldn't vote Tory under any circumstances. This we learned when people added Con +UKIP together before 2017.
    Hence my suggestion that Johnson is getting close to his current ceiling. That could change, if for example Farage does a pact with the Cons. The UKIP vote was drastically squeezed in the 2017 GE. Unfortunately for Theresa May, Labour did the same thing in the liberal parties camp.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    AndyJS said:

Averages of the 4 new polls tonight:

Con 29.75%
    Lab 25.25%
    LD 18.25%
    BRX 14.50%

Have you included ComRes ?
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1155229265044103169
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

LOL

So we have three polls showing substantial Boris bounces, but the poll from the firm that showed a large hypothetical Boris bounce... does not.

Excuse me, even Comres tonight has gone from the Tories 3 points behind Labour to ahead of Labour.

The other polls tonight give the Tories bigger leads and put them back at the 30%+ mark.

Thanks to Boris the Tories are now in the lead again, a lead that could expand if the Brexit Party can be squeezed further
    I'd be surprised if this trend isn't continued with future polls. These polls tonight probably haven't captured the full force of the Boris bounce IMO. Having said that, the Labour share is holding up slightly better than I was expecting.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LOL

The Brexit Party vote certainly looks squeezable. But does that do much in terms of extra seats?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Con 29.75%
    Lab 25.25%
    LD 18.25%
    BRX 14.50%

Trying to work out whether that was one of the ones I included or not.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

Con 29.75%
    Lab 25.25%
    LD 18.25%
    BRX 14.50%

That must surely put the kibosh on any snap GE? Nowhere near enough of a lead for such a gamble. Labour still ahead of LDs, and, significantly, in all four polls. Which means not much tactical voting, would stifle any Tory majority.
    Same 1234 positions in each poll, too.
    I don't personally believe that these findings will deter Labour from moving a VNOC. They could have been worse , and I suspect the data will have slipped away from Boris by September.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,125

The trend in these ComRes polls is a bit unfortunate for Johnson, isn't it?

June 11 (for the Telegraph): CON 37%; LAB 22% (maj. ~140)
    July 8 (for the Telegraph): CON 32%; LAB 25% (maj ~40)
    July 16 (for Britain Elects): CON 32%; LAB 29% (~15 short of a majority)

And now: CON 28%; LAB 27% (~45 short of a majority)

If you fit a quadratic curve to the Tory lead, we can clearly see that it's about to start rising again, and will be in the mid-20s by election day. :-D
  • Options
    FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

Hence my suggestion that Johnson is getting close to his current ceiling. That could change, if for example Farage does a pact with the Cons. The UKIP vote was drastically squeezed in the 2017 GE. Unfortunately for Theresa May, Labour did the same thing in the liberal parties camp.
    If they do get squeezed, BP that is, where would the circa 10% non Tory at any cost go? That is the unanswered conundrum. My guess at least 3-4 % to Labour. More if Farage did a pact with Boris.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

If they do get squeezed, BP that is, where would the circa 10% non Tory at any cost go? That is the unanswered conundrum. My guess at least 3-4 % to Labour. More if Farage did a pact with Boris.
    Are you taking into account the potential for Jacob Rees-Mogg to attract the working-class vote?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Con 29.75%
    Lab 25.25%
    LD 18.25%
    BRX 14.50%

I can assure you you did. I worked them out too, but you beat me to it!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Have to ask - what do those 14.5% Brexit Party voters want if not Boris delivering Brexit - Deal or No Deal?
  • Options
    Chris said:

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

Are you taking into account the potential for Jacob Rees-Mogg to attract the working-class vote?
    By addressing them as "Esq" in his letters to them ...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2019

Have to ask - what do those 14.5% Brexit Party voters want if not Boris delivering Brexit - Deal or No Deal?

There aint as strange as folk...it is like the percentage of lib dem supporters who are leavers.

More seriously, i wouldnt surprise me if it is people who really dont like / trust may and now boris and personally think farage is the man. Like corbyn, there is a cult following for nige.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,756
    Ah, good polling for the Tories. Which, as we all know, is always maintained and not at all subject to events which may be beyond their control.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Con 29.75%
    Lab 25.25%
    LD 18.25%
    BRX 14.50%

I can assure you you did. I worked them out too, but you beat me to it!
    Thanks for confirming it.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    HYUFD said:

LOL

It's still a smaller bounce than in the hypothetical poll or the other polls today, so I think I'm entirely justified in finding it amusing.
  • Options

A fair bit of it is an Anti-Establishment or NOTA vote. Quite a few could switch to the Greens or LibDems on the same basis. That was always true of the 2015 UKIP vote - which is why it did not switch en bloc to the Tories in 2017 as so many predicted.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

LOL

It's still a smaller bounce than in the hypothetical poll or the other polls today, so I think I'm entirely justified in finding it amusing.
    Yougov gives the Boris led Tory Party a huge 10% lead tonight, bigger than even the Comres hypothetical poll and a swing from Labour to Tory of 4% since the last general election.

Yougov was the most accurate pollster in the European Parliament elections (bar Mori) while other pollsters overestimated Labour
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LOL

Yougov gives the Boris led Tory Party a huge 10% lead tonight, bigger than even the Comres hypothetical poll and a swing from Labour to Tory of 4% since the last general election.

Yougov was the most accurate pollster in the European Parliament elections (bar Mori) while other pollsters overestimated Labour
    Sounds like YouGov is the new ComRes?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

LOL

I'd be surprised if this trend isn't continued with future polls. These polls tonight probably haven't captured the full force of the Boris bounce IMO. Having said that, the Labour share is holding up slightly better than I was expecting.
    Except with Yougov, the most accurate pollster in the European Parliament elections of the polls out tonight
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    justin124 said:

A fair bit of it is an Anti-Establishment or NOTA vote. Quite a few could switch to the Greens or LibDems on the same basis. That was always true of the 2015 UKIP vote - which is why it did not switch en bloc to the Tories in 2017 as so many predicted.
    But I would suggest close to nil will go to Labour or the LibDems - and the bulk of it would be very low-hanging fruit for Boris to pluck...
  • Options

Don't forget that Brexit is popular on the hard left. At the moment the Brexit Party can still appeal to them. They are going to be very unhappy with the Labour Party's current trajectory and are not going to vote Tory except on medical advice. There aren't many of them, but there are a lot more than you'd think from the coverage they get and enough to mess up the idea that TBP=disgruntled Tories.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,783
    FF43 said:

One factor that we are ignoring is Scotland. May's arse was saved in 2017 by Ruth. If the Tories do not do as well in Scotland compared to 2017, by how much does Boris have to overperform in E&W to win?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

LOL

The Brexit Party vote certainly looks squeezable. But does that do much in terms of extra seats?
    Yes, particularly in Labour Leave marginal seats
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited July 2019
    Deleted: the Mail already refers to Osborne's burgers.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

FF43 said:

One factor that we are ignoring is Scotland. May's arse was saved in 2017 by Ruth. If the Tories do not do as well in Scotland compared to 2017, by how much does Boris have to overperform in E&W to win?
    At most the Tories probably lose 10 seats in Scotland and keep 3.

That just means 10 extra Labour Leave seats in England and Wales gained to compensate
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Straight to WTO terms, No Deal Brexit without passing go please and no more immigration either please.

Even with Boris as Tory leader the Brexit Party will still get 10 to 15% as tonight's polls show
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

FF43 said:

That just means 10 extra Labour Leave seats in England and Wales gained to compensate
    And you don’t see a problem with a party claiming to be the UK government having minimal representation in Scotland?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    If I was Jareds financial adviser I'd be saying don't rush, every day of that gold plated pension accrual is sorting your future out nicely.... Obv there's a tad other issues to reflect on too but....
  • Options

Don't forget that Brexit is popular on the hard left. At the moment the Brexit Party can still appeal to them. They are going to be very unhappy with the Labour Party's current trajectory and are not going to vote Tory except on medical advice. There aren't many of them, but there are a lot more than you'd think from the coverage they get and enough to mess up the idea that TBP=disgruntled Tories.
    They are not only "the hard left". There are plenty of low income, low information voters, broadly pro-public spending, anti-foreigner (but not necessarily racist) in general. They love Nige, who gives them a reason to vote. If it weren't him, it would be Labour or stay at home. They neither love, nor trust the Tories who have done nowt for them. They are much less socially conservative than is commonly imagined too.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

If I was Jareds financial adviser I'd be saying don't rush, every day of that gold plated pension accrual is sorting your future out nicely.... Obv there's a tad other issues to reflect on too but....

I don't think he will have built up much of a pension pot after 27 months

But it does feel greedy to carry on taking his salary until September - considering he has already stated that he isn't going to do anything.

Yes, he needs to get his mental health sorted - that is absolutely the right thing to do. But he should just go and do that and not delay his departure
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Straight to WTO terms, No Deal Brexit without passing go please and no more immigration either please.

Even with Boris as Tory leader the Brexit Party will still get 10 to 15% as tonight's polls show
    I would add. Plenty of public spending too. On schools, NHS and benefits. Not necessarily police.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,227
    Wow. Just wow. Watch until near the end.

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1155229662810955777
  • Options
    As Biden said: "this is not who we are"...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If you think the Brexit Party is going to hang on to the kind of vote share it has in these polls, I think you should be very worried indeed about Tory prospects in an election - at least if it becomes clear that Johnson is taking us towards No Deal.

If moving towards No Deal doesn't attract any more Brexit Party supporters, then at best it's going to leave Tory support where it is, but more realistically the Tories are going to lose some support to the Lib Dems and other parties.

That would leave the Tories in the high 20s, Brexit in the low teens, and the other 60% not supporting No Deal. The Tories would need the 60% to be split between the other parties very evenly to stand any chance at all. But if Brexit were a strong enough motivation for people to abandon their traditional allegiance and vote tactically - as I think the Euro elections showed - then they would be in very deep trouble indeed.
  • Options

justin124 said:

But I would suggest close to nil will go to Labour or the LibDems - and the bulk of it would be very low-hanging fruit for Boris to pluck...
    That was not the case in 2017 when circa 15% of the 2015 UKIP vote switched to Labour.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

If you think the Brexit Party is going to hang on to the kind of vote share it has in these polls, I think you should be very worried indeed about Tory prospects in an election - at least if it becomes clear that Johnson is taking us towards No Deal.

If moving towards No Deal doesn't attract any more Brexit Party supporters, then at best it's going to leave Tory support where it is, but more realistically the Tories are going to lose some support to the Lib Dems and other parties.

That would leave the Tories in the high 20s, Brexit in the low teens, and the other 60% not supporting No Deal. The Tories would need the 60% to be split between the other parties very evenly to stand any chance at all. But if Brexit were a strong enough motivation for people to abandon their traditional allegiance and vote tactically - as I think the Euro elections showed - then they would be in very deep trouble indeed.
    Nope, the Brexit Party will probably end up with about 10% against Boris ie half the 20% or so it was polling under May.

The Tories will be up to about 30 to 35% with the LDs on about 15 to 20% and Labour on about 20 to 25%.

That this enables a Tory majority and a historic 4th consecutive Tory government for only the 2nd time on the last 100 years
  • Options
    Without named leaders that is as pointless a poll as US polls showing a generic Democrat comfortably beating Trump while say Trump beats Elizabeth Warren.

At the moment Corbyn is Labour leader and Boris comfortably beats him and no named Labour alternative currently beats Boris
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2019
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

That was not the case in 2017 when circa 15% of the 2015 UKIP vote switched to Labour.
    That was when they were claiming they would implement brexit. It is nailed on at the GE they will have a policy that is remain based.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

FF43 said:

And you don’t see a problem with a party claiming to be the UK government having minimal representation in Scotland?
    No, the Tories had just 1 seat in Scotland from 2015 to 2017 but an overall majority in the UK.

Scotland has its own Parliament for most Scottish domestic issues anyway
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Here we go. More rallies. More leadership cult stuff. More shouting and cheering the flag or the slogan or the leader. More suspension of every day democratic norms and party basics.

Where will all this end? History says in a very dark place.

https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1155226064060329984
  • Options
    How far will Cummings and Crosby be allowed to push the Conservative Party to being a Johnson/No Deal cult before decent members finally snap?
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

That was when they were claiming they would implement brexit. It is nailed on at the GE they will have a policy that is remain based.
    A significant chunk of UKIP's vote was unrelated to Brexit. Moreover, quite a few Brexit voters were white working class in background who found voting Tory to be beyond the pale. In any forced choice scenario, they would return to Labour.
  • Options
    If Cummings/Patel/IDS/Mogg/Baker and all the rest of them deliver No Deal, it will be the end of the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Without named leaders that is as pointless a poll as US polls showing a generic Democrat comfortably beating Trump while say Trump beats Elizabeth Warren.

At the moment Corbyn is Labour leader and Boris comfortably beats him and no named Labour alternative currently beats Boris
    Hypotheticals are a broad indication, no more. Would Labour do better under a fantasy unnamed leader? Absolutely. Who is this person? Unfortunately we don't know.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Nope, the Brexit Party will probably end up with about 10% against Boris ie half the 20% or so it was polling under May.
    As I explained, I was replying to your own comment where you said it would be "10-15% as tonight's polls show", and I was talking about the situation in which the Brexit Party held on to the shares shown in those polls.

Even if you've changed your mind/forgotten what you just said, and you now think Brexit will go down to 10% entirely to the benefit of the Tories - and even if you assume moving towards No Deal will lose the Tories no support at all - that really wouldn't change matters very much. It would put the Tories at 35% and the those not supporting No Deal at 55%. Boris Johnson would have to pray that those 55% weren't inclined to vote tactically against his 35% in significant numbers.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

A significant chunk of UKIP's vote was unrelated to Brexit. Moreover, quite a few Brexit voters were white working class in background who found voting Tory to be beyond the pale. In any forced choice scenario, they would return to Labour.
    In 2015 the Tories won Vale of Clwyd thanks to Labour voters voting UKIP, in 2017 the Tories lost it as those voters went back to Labour, at the next general election the Tories could win it again if those voters vote Brexit Party
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708

Paul Flynn died after a very long illness, well over a year, during why he could not fully represent the voters of Newport West. No-one said he had to resign because he could not hold surgeries or attend Parliament. There was on the contrary much sympathy because of his physical illness.

Coming very late to the party, and maybe someone else has made the same point, (and being heartless about it) but perhaps Paul Flynn should have resigned.

Being an MP is not like any other job in the country. You have no job security, you can be out on your ear with as little as six weeks notice and no right of appeal or employment tribunal process or the like to go through. You can't claim unfair dismissal, you are severely restricted to what you can do with your time outside being an MP.

Your job, ultimately, is to represent your constituents. And the minute you find yourself unable, or unwilling to do this you should resign as an MP.

I have huge respect for Flynn, thought he was a good MP and was great to see him as a shadow minister in his eighties. But I recall he was intending to resign about six months before his death, but then never did (perhaps he was then too unwell to do even that, I'm not sure).

Flynn should've resigned six months before his death. O'Mara should probably resign now. There are countless others who should've gone far earlier than they did (I recall the howls on this very site re: Gordon Brown who spent five years writing books and never returning to the Commons between 2010 and 2015).

People may not like them, but Jamie Reed and David Cameron both realised this during the 2015-2017 Parliament and quit, neither wanting to stick around taking cash and doing nowt for it.

Its the same reason above (and again people mention it) why the Speaker of the House should be elected from within MPs and a by-election then held afterwards. The people of Buckinghamshire have a representative in the House, but the lazy git never votes! Even worse, he turns up, shouts one word all day long and never says anything else.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Hypotheticals are a broad indication, no more. Would Labour do better under a fantasy unnamed leader? Absolutely. Who is this person? Unfortunately we don't know.
    David Miliband is the only potential Labour leader I could see beating Boris at the next general election but he is unavailable and not trusted by Corbynistas who are now the majority of Labour members.

Other than him I would have said Chuka Umunna but Chuka is now LD anyway
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

As I explained, I was replying to your own comment where you said it would be "10-15% as tonight's polls show", and I was talking about the situation in which the Brexit Party held on to the shares shown in those polls.

Even if you've changed your mind/forgotten what you just said, and you now think Brexit will go down to 10% entirely to the benefit of the Tories - and even if you assume moving towards No Deal will lose the Tories no support at all - that really wouldn't change matters very much. It would put the Tories at 35% and the those not supporting No Deal at 55%. Boris Johnson would have to pray that those 55% weren't inclined to vote tactically against his 35% in significant numbers.
    Tories 35% Labour 25% LDs 20% Brexit Party 10% Greens 5% SNP 4% PC 1% gives a comfortable Tory majority and even tactical voting in Remain seats would not be enough to stop that majority given the Tory gains in marginal Labour Leave seats
  • Options

If Cummings/Patel/IDS/Mogg/Baker and all the rest of them deliver No Deal, it will be the end of the Conservative Party.

No, only no Brexit at all would have been the end of the Conservative Party with the Brexit Party replacing it
  • Options

Here we go. More rallies. More leadership cult stuff. More shouting and cheering the flag or the slogan or the leader. More suspension of every day democratic norms and party basics.

I know the Tories aren't as democratic as the other parties when it comes to their internal arrangements, but I am surprised their constitution allows the conference to be sidelined to quite this extent.
  • Options

I know the Tories aren't as democratic as the other parties when it comes to their internal arrangements, but I am surprised their constitution allows the conference to be sidelined to quite this extent.
    Let's hope not. This is looking like a complete Leave campaign takeover of one of the oldest political parties.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,783
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

FF43 said:

That leaves you where you are now; minority administration.

2017 gave you 317, minus 10 gives you 307. So you need to pick up another 20 in E&W. What margin over Lab gives you that: 5%? And do today's GB polls give you that in E&W?

(These are genuine questions, btw: I don't know the answer)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No, only no Brexit at all would have been the end of the Conservative Party with the Brexit Party replacing it
    That would as well. But I think in the excited euphoria of The Johnson, party activists and members are forgetting the lesson of Black Wednesday. And that was a teddy bear's picnic compared to No Deal chaos.
  • Options

Let's hope not. This is looking like a complete Leave campaign takeover of one of the oldest political parties.
    Looking like? That ship sailed long ago.
  • Options
    Marco1Marco1 Posts: 34
    Hopefully Lib Dem by-election success will encourage the Lib-Dem MP defectors to go for their own 'Peoples Vote' so that democracy can prevail
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The main topic of conversation on PB after midnight used to be 80s pop music only a few years ago. Why's everyone so serious these days? (Only joking).
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Paul Flynn died after a very long illness, well over a year, during why he could not fully represent the voters of Newport West. No-one said he had to resign because he could not hold surgeries or attend Parliament. There was on the contrary much sympathy because of his physical illness.

Coming very late to the party, and maybe someone else has made the same point, (and being heartless about it) but perhaps Paul Flynn should have resigned.

Being an MP is not like any other job in the country. You have no job security, you can be out on your ear with as little as six weeks notice and no right of appeal or employment tribunal process or the like to go through. You can't claim unfair dismissal, you are severely restricted to what you can do with your time outside being an MP.

Your job, ultimately, is to represent your constituents. And the minute you find yourself unable, or unwilling to do this you should resign as an MP.

I have huge respect for Flynn, thought he was a good MP and was great to see him as a shadow minister in his eighties. But I recall he was intending to resign about six months before his death, but then never did (perhaps he was then too unwell to do even that, I'm not sure).

Flynn should've resigned six months before his death. O'Mara should probably resign now. There are countless others who should've gone far earlier than they did (I recall the howls on this very site re: Gordon Brown who spent five years writing books and never returning to the Commons between 2010 and 2015).

People may not like them, but Jamie Reed and David Cameron both realised this during the 2015-2017 Parliament and quit, neither wanting to stick around taking cash and doing nowt for it.

Its the same reason above (and again people mention it) why the Speaker of the House should be elected from within MPs and a by-election then held afterwards. The people of Buckinghamshire have a representative in the House, but the lazy git never votes! Even worse, he turns up, shouts one word all day long and never says anything else.

I think the issue with the MP for Buckingham is that he says rather too much!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Sky News are reporting the YouGov poll, but not the others. Not sure whether that's particularly good journalism on their part:

"'Boris bounce: Conservatives boosted after choosing Boris Johnson as leader, polls suggest
    Since Boris Johnson became prime minister, the Tories have opened up a poll lead of up to 10 points over Labour."

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-bounce-conservatives-boosted-after-electing-boris-johnson-as-leader-polls-suggest-11772028
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited July 2019
    AndyJS said:

Sky News are reporting the YouGov poll, but not the others. Not sure whether that's particularly good journalism on their part:

"'Boris bounce: Conservatives boosted after choosing Boris Johnson as leader, polls suggest
    Since Boris Johnson became prime minister, the Tories have opened up a poll lead of up to 10 points over Labour."

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-bounce-conservatives-boosted-after-electing-boris-johnson-as-leader-polls-suggest-11772028

It seems to happen quite a bit, even worse IMO is some of the political podcasts I listen to which almost don't acknowledge non YouGov polls existence sometimes.

I've been half tempted to accuse the BBC of having some kind of link up with YouGov to encourage them to acknowledge other polls more often, although they are far from the worst for it I do expect higher standards.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    I reckon Gove's talk of working on the basis of No Deal is just part of a softening up exercise to allow Bozo to bring May's Deal by Another Name (Maydan Brexit) back to Parliament with the hope of ramming it through.

(I need sleep!)
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    If the `troubled' O'Mara does resign and I think that is still to be seen, this will be a test for the new REMAIN alliance between LDs and Greens and TIG that seems to have snuck under the radar.

Admittedly it is Clegg's old stamping ground but the Greens have really established themselves in Sheffield with the ex-Mayor drawing on the City Council's tree-felling to build support.

Getting a stand-down deal with the Greens will be tricky, if O'Mara does resign....I still think he may change his mind: (good salary, plenty of perks and a nice pension)....I cant see many wanting to employ him in a hurry.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Looking at all this talk of deals....maybe Nigel Farage's peerage is approaching after all...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    New Thread
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That would as well. But I think in the excited euphoria of The Johnson, party activists and members are forgetting the lesson of Black Wednesday. And that was a teddy bear's picnic compared to No Deal chaos.
    Black Wednesday was not the end of the Conservative Party, the Tories were back in power in 17 years and they faced Blair not Corbyn.

No Brexit would mean the Tories would never be back in power again unless taken over by the Brexit Party
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

FF43 said:

That leaves you where you are now; minority administration.

2017 gave you 317, minus 10 gives you 307. So you need to pick up another 20 in E&W. What margin over Lab gives you that: 5%? And do today's GB polls give you that in E&W?

(These are genuine questions, btw: I don't know the answer)
    Yougov does, yes
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

I don't think he will have built up much of a pension pot after 27 months

But it does feel greedy to carry on taking his salary until September - considering he has already stated that he isn't going to do anything.

Yes, he needs to get his mental health sorted - that is absolutely the right thing to do. But he should just go and do that and not delay his departure
    If he go to 3 years, then that's 3/40 of 74k.or circa £5.5K pa index linked ... To buy that with a personal pension he'd need to save circa £200k.
This discussion has been closed.