Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BoJo’s assertions on leaving by October 31st fail to convince

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    If only the Left spent as much time fine-tuning tax and spend policy as they do trying to crush their imagined enemies and Israel.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Former SNP East Dunbartonshire MP John Nicholson on This Week refuses to rule out trying to regain his seat from Jo Swinson at the next general election

Interestingly, Jo Swinson actually increased her absolute vote tally in 2015. That, I suspect, is unique among LibDem MPs that year.
    True but Nicholson beat her then
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Andrew Neil says farewell from the last ever This Week, serenaded by Mick Hucknall
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Piers Morgan on This Week says only Michelle Obama or Oprah Winfrey could beat Trump

That's probably an example of a statement which is made for effect, rather than being literally true. I don't think he really thinks those two could win.
    Safe to say Oprah would flatten Trump, but she doesn't want it (and who the hell can blame her)?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Former SNP East Dunbartonshire MP John Nicholson on This Week refuses to rule out trying to regain his seat from Jo Swinson at the next general election

Interestingly, Jo Swinson actually increased her absolute vote tally in 2015. That, I suspect, is unique among LibDem MPs that year.
    Don’t worry, she can lose her seat and still be PM from the Lords. ;)

Ask your pal Boris.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Foxy said:
    ERG member Chris Heaton-Harris‘s constituency. :)
    It voted 59% Leave. It's the sort of seat that might have swung a bit towards Remain since then since it's very prosperous.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,047
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I increasingly get the impression that the Democrats would rather lose the next presidential election while retaining purity of thought than winning it if that involves any sort of compromise with moderate ideology.

Trump is moderate??
    Moderate Democrats. Joe Biden is too moderate for some people in the party.
    I don't think it's his moderation that most Democrats seem to have a problem with. It's that he's unable to remember what story he's telling.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Thatcher: every PM needs a Willy.

Boris: every PM needs a minor army officer who has failed in every political post he has held.

IDS won most votes in both local elections he led the Tories at
    But his vote was down in 2002 and barely changed in 2003. Those against elections in the run up to the disaster of 2001. What was happening at that time was Kennedy's Lib Dems were making hay against Blair's Labour, and the Tories were marooned in between.

IDS was an embarrassing fiasco as leader, and you can't rewrite history on that.
    Oh FFS. Seriously? There are PXP/Tories defending IDS? I shall retire to Bedlam.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Piers Morgan on This Week says only Michelle Obama or Oprah Winfrey could beat Trump

That's probably an example of a statement which is made for effect, rather than being literally true. I don't think he really thinks those two could win.
    Safe to say Oprah would flatten Trump, but she doesn't want it (and who the hell can blame her)?
    Would Oprah really sweep the mid-west and the rust belt? I think if she thought she was a certainty to win, she probably would stand.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Michelle Obama would certainly be miles better than the current Democratic field, even Biden.

I doubt she will run though
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I'm not denying that. I'm merely pointing out that the LibDems lost around 75% of their votes in 2015. To actually increase her number was a statistically extraordinary result.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ask your pal Boris.
    How far apart are John Nicholson and Swinson? Really? Apart from Scotland as a separate nation? I would say not much...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I'm not denying that. I'm merely pointing out that the LibDems lost around 75% of their votes in 2015. To actually increase her number was a statistically extraordinary result.
    Tory tactical votes helped, as in 2017, they will be less numerous next time given her anti Brexit views and John Nicholson is quite amiable despite being a Nat
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I think you missed the words "Close friend of President Trump," at the start of that sentence.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Would Oprah really sweep the mid-west and the rust belt? I think if she thought she was a certainty to win, she probably would stand.
    We are back to Biden then :disappointed: . Incredibly, available at 6.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Michelle Obama would certainly be miles better than the current Democratic field, even Biden.

Al Gore would probably win if he stood again. Not sure whether he's completely retired from politics.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,922
    HYUFD said:

Rebel anti Brexit MPs are planning to ask the Queen to attend the next European Council summit as she is entitled to as Head of State and request an extension of Article 50 as a last resort to avoid No Deal (PM Boris of course would have to submit to the Queen as he is only her chief Minister, she is still head of the executive in the UK).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49040128

If true appalling, I expect the Duke of Edinburgh would be outraged as much as he is still going in this attempt to force the Queen to do diehard Remainers dirty work. Hopefully she would refuse and insist on a general election if necessary

Hopefully she would refuse? Damn right she would refuse, and rightly so. What the hell are they up to? There is no way that could possibly happen.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Tory tactical votes helped, as in 2017, they will be less numerous next time given her anti Brexit views and John Nicholson is quite amiable despite being a Nat
    The Tory vote leapt 7% in 2017, while the SNP's fell.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ask your pal Boris.
    Boris will hold Uxbridge comfortably on the back of his triumphant election victory nationwide (the greatest Tory win since Maggie's in 1987) as the country gives him a mandate for Brexit and the Tories gain 50 Labour Leave marginal seats despite some losses to the LDs in Remain areas.

Swinson will narrowly lose her seat to Nicholson despite LD gains from the Tories and Labour in the rest of the UK and be succeeded by Chuka Umunna as LD leader who will hold his seat of Streatham as a LD from Labour in one of the most dramatic results of the night.

You heard it here first!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Al Gore would probably win if he stood again. Not sure whether he's completely retired from politics.
    Hmm. You think Gore could get through the current Dem left/progressive primary voters?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ask your pal Boris.
    Boris will hold Uxbridge comfortably on the back of his triumphant election victory nationwide (the greatest since Maggie's in 1987).

Swindon will narrowly lose her seat to Nicholson despite LD gains from the Tories and Labour in the rest of the UK and be succeeded by Chuka Umunna as LD leader who will hold his seat of Streatham as a LD from Labour in one of the most dramatic results of the night.

You heard it here first!
    I'll give you 3-1 on Nicholson if you like
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ask your pal Boris.
    Boris will hold Uxbridge comfortably on the back of his triumphant election victory nationwide (the greatest Tory win since Maggie's in 1987).

Swindon will narrowly lose her seat to Nicholson despite LD gains from the Tories and Labour in the rest of the UK and be succeeded by Chuka Umunna as LD leader who will hold his seat of Streatham as a LD from Labour in one of the most dramatic results of the night.

You heard it here first!
    That post is a keeper!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

She’s probably too old now but I honestly think Judy Sheindlin could beat him.
  • Options
    Average of the 5 most recent opinion polls:

Lab 25.2%
    Con 24.2%
    BRX 19.8%
    LD 18.0%
    Green 6.0%

Baxter:

Lab 251, Con 204, BRX 69, LD 64.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I increasingly get the impression that the Democrats would rather lose the next presidential election while retaining purity of thought than winning it if that involves any sort of compromise with moderate ideology.

Trump is moderate??
    Moderate Democrats. Joe Biden is too moderate for some people in the party.
    But Trump, their opposition, isn't moderate.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Hmm. You think Gore could get through the current Dem left/progressive primary voters?
    Probably not.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

She’s probably too old now but I honestly think Judy Sheindlin could beat him.
    I saw her in a restaurant in LA a few months ago: she's really tiny
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ask your pal Boris.
    Boris will hold Uxbridge comfortably on the back of his triumphant election victory nationwide (the greatest Tory win since Maggie's in 1987).

You heard it here first!
    That post is a keeper!
    Indeed. However, caution. HYUFD did inform us long ago that Boris would be next Tory leader. He was right. I, for one, was wrong. He may be right again.
  • Options
    NYT:

"President Trump on Thursday disavowed the “send her back” chant that broke out at his re-election rally Wednesday night when he railed against a Somali-born congresswoman, as Republicans in Congress rushed to distance themselves and their party from the ugly refrain.

Mr. Trump said he was “not happy” with the chant, directed at Representative Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, a hijab-wearing freshman Democrat whom the president has singled out repeatedly for verbal excoriation. "

He didn't think the chanting was loud enough
  • Options
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Lab 25.2%
    Con 24.2%
    BRX 19.8%
    LD 18.0%
    Green 6.0%

Baxter:

Thoughts of FPTP producing majority governments seem a way away.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ask your pal Boris.

You heard it here first!
    That post is a keeper!
    Indeed. However, caution. HYUFD did inform us long ago that Boris would be next Tory leader. He was right. I, for one, was wrong. He may be right again.
    HYUFD, like all of us on here, has made some good predictions, and some poor ones.

He did claim, for example, that there was more chance he would be struck by an asteroid, than Macron would become French President.
  • Options
    Dear Democrats: This is not complicated! Just nominate a decent, sane person,

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/opinion/trump-2020.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ask your pal Boris.

You heard it here first!
    That post is a keeper!
    HYUFD, like all of us on here, has made some good predictions, and some poor ones.

He did claim, for example, that there was more chance he would be struck by an asteroid, than Macron would become French President.
    I cannot remember that (in fact I saw Macron coming out of Westminster Hall months before his election but admit I got that wrong, I thought it would be Fillon v Le Pen initially)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Just shows how uniform swing is clearly not helpful at the moment.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ask your pal Boris.
    Boris will hold Uxbridge comfortably on the back of his triumphant election victory nationwide (the greatest since Maggie's in 1987).

You heard it here first!
    OK but just £20
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Another case where LD-Green alliance would have won?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ask your pal Boris.

You heard it here first!
    That post is a keeper!

It is the difference between X will happen and X may happen. It is easy to predict the latter as you can't be wrong. HYUFD always goes for the former, and I quite admire him for that.
  • Options
    Here it is. While terrible things happen across the country, the Left spend every waking moment attacking their own party and shouting 'f - off back to the Tories'

In this case - Neil Kinnock's son.

https://twitter.com/mconway70/status/1151943672738525191
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ask your pal Boris.

You heard it here first!
    That post is a keeper!

Was there a size limit? It is quite likely he was hit by a speck of space dust at some point in the intervening period. :p
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited July 2019

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/opinion/trump-2020.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

If we think that Biden hasn't got it, look at the Betfair odds for a "normal, sane person" nominee consisting of good media performers with senate or governor experience who haven't committed themselves to anything that 51% of the electorate wouldn't normally consider disqualifying:

* Hickenlooper: 490
    * Bullock: 210
    * Baemy KLOBUCHAR: 170

Then think about who got picked in previous races against incumbents:
    * Romney: Dull moderate competent former governor
    * Kerry: Dull moderate experienced senator
    * Dole: Dull moderate experienced senator
    * Mondale: Dull moderate former VP, now preeminent KLOBUCHAR stan

Part of this is probably that if there's no competitive race on the incumbent side there are more voters crossing over, so the primary electorate is actually more moderate than it looks.

It feels like there's more than a 1.something percent chance that this race will have the same result as all the previous races.

PS The fact that all these people lost may imply a problem with the strategy proposed by the Moustache of Understanding in that NY piece but arguably it'll still work against Trump.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

I thought you supported Biden...
  • Options

And what caused Clinton to lose? Was she not decent or not sane?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ask your pal Boris.

You heard it here first!
    OK but just £20
    Done.
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238

HYUFD said:
    There is a ceiling on how many LDs would vote Green because someone tells them to do so in the name of 'progressive alliance' or other such disingenuous guff. I suspect this ceiling is markedly lower in traditional Liberal heartlands than in modern urban centres.

I'd consider voting LD in a LD-Lab marginal. I don't think there's any conceivable situation where I'd ever vote Green though.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

She wasn't very good. She wouldn't have been in the spot she was except for nepotism.

Then there was a lot of dumb bad luck like, particularly the Comey letter coming out when it did.
  • Options
  • Options
    Silly.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

Lab 25.2%
    Con 24.2%
    BRX 19.8%
    LD 18.0%
    Green 6.0%

Baxter:

Thoughts of FPTP producing majority governments seem a way away.
    Maybe we should introduce the Australian voting system where if you don't get 50% in a constituency preferences are counted.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    HYUFD said:

I am going to a dinner with IDS and Dominic Raab tomorrow evening (with rumours of a special blond visitor too) and I can tell you IDS goes down very well with his members and most of his constituents

Oh, the intellectual back and forth. The rigorous evidence-based discussion. The uplifting open-mindedness. The tales of ministerial derring-do.

I hope the wine is good.
  • Options
    To my mind, the US 2020 election is terribly simple:

If the bond market and the PMIs are correct, and we enter a recession, then Trump is toast, irrespective of the Democratic nominee.

If the economy returns to the heady days of 2018, when it got a great boost from tax cuts, then he's probably back in, irrespective of his opponent.

If the economy is growing, but only marginally (like now), then two things matter:

1. Where the growth is concentrated
    2. Who the Democratic nominee is

Regarding 1, it's worth noting that the rust belt continues to have some of the weakest economic growth in the US. (Annualised, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Indiana are practically in recession. Ohio is little better.) The one rust belt state where President Trump can hold out hope is Pennsylvania, which is growing at a solid 2.5% annualised rate.

This disparity between Texas (+6.6% annualised GDP growth) and Iowa (+0.3%) is problematic for the President, as he's probably going to win Texas irrespective, while Iowa is likely to be a close run thing.

2. Some of the Democratic nominees will find it harder than others. But I think it's too easy to say "Oh, America will never vote for a woman" or "coastal liberals are doomed" or somesuch. I certainly think we overestimate candidates relative to the zeitgeist, the economic conditions, and the popularity of the incumbent.

My forecast, then:

The Democrats will not choose Biden or Sanders. But I don't think this matters, because the Republicans will probably lose Arizona, Iowa and Wisconsin to the Democrats. In the candidate is Harris, they'll probably pick up North Carolina (as Obama did). If it is Buttigieg, I think they'll surprise in Indiana and some places that are whiter and more religious. If it's Warren, I think they'll manage Michigan.

A close run thing in 2020, then, but I forecast a Democratic win. (Albeit not a big one.)
  • Options

She wasn't very good. She wouldn't have been in the spot she was except for nepotism.

Then there was a lot of dumb bad luck like, particularly the Comey letter coming out when it did.
    And the fact she made the same mistake in the 2016 Presidential election that she made in the 2008 primaries. I.e., she forgot that delegates/electoral college votes are more important than raw vote count.

I would note that - of all the Democratic candidates - it seems to be Buttigieg that's followig the Obama organisational playbook.
  • Options

Part of this is probably that if there's no competitive race on the incumbent side there are more voters crossing over, so the primary electorate is actually more moderate than it looks.

This is a crucially misunderstood point.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Very kind of the Republican Party to make it clear that they are overtly racist with their 'Send her back' chants. Evil feckers.

P.S. @rcs1000 - I think I'm the only other PBer in this time zone at the moment. Laters.
  • Options

More Americans voted for her than for the Racist in Chief.
  • Options

Very kind of the Republican Party to make it clear that they are overtly racist with their 'Send her back' chants. Evil feckers.

P.S. @rcs1000 - I think I'm the only other PBer in this time zone at the moment. Laters.

Rotherham Parkgate "tram-train" added on Tuesday!
    Meadowhall South/Tinsley to Rotherham Central and Rotherham Central to Parkgate to be precise.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    edited July 2019

Meadowhall South/Tinsley to Rotherham Central and Rotherham Central to Parkgate to be precise.
    Hard core!

Edit: Why aren't you asleep?
  • Options

Nope, I think @Charles is also on the West Coast right now
  • Options

Hard core!

We keep the bar stools warm. :)
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Morgan has his head so far up Trump’s arse he ran into BoJo
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184
    rcs1000 said:

I’m in Maine currently
  • Options

Hard core!

I just saw you were online too!

2019 hasn't exactly been rich pickings for me, just Parkgate and the Bristol Harbour Railway (and even that was only partially open to the public on Easter Monday!). Hope to have a do at least Ayr to Stranraer, Cardross to Oban, Crianlarich to Mallaig and Falkirk to Alloa in a few weeks' time.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Hard core!

Speak for yourself! I keep my stools in the bathroom :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

That makes four of us. :o
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

That makes four of us. :o
    Ok West Coast pbers, I'm in LA, where are you Sandy and Rob?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    At least its not Grayling
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

RobD said:

Hard core!

Speak for yourself! I keep my stools in the bathroom :lol:
    You’re not supposed to keep them, Sunil.

• Options

NYT:

"President Trump on Thursday disavowed the “send her back” chant that broke out at his re-election rally Wednesday night when he railed against a Somali-born congresswoman, as Republicans in Congress rushed to distance themselves and their party from the ugly refrain.

Mr. Trump said he was “not happy” with the chant, directed at Representative Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, a hijab-wearing freshman Democrat whom the president has singled out repeatedly for verbal excoriation. "

If you look at the video, he looks pretty happy about it.
  • Options
    Round two...

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/453838-biden-harris-set-for-second-democratic-debate-showdown
    Former Vice President Joe Biden will face off against Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) for a second time on the second night of the CNN Democratic debates in Detroit on July 31....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    HYUFD said:

Rebel anti Brexit MPs are planning to ask the Queen to attend the next European Council summit as she is entitled to as Head of State and request an extension of Article 50 as a last resort to avoid No Deal (PM Boris of course would have to submit to the Queen as he is only her chief Minister, she is still head of the executive in the UK).

If true appalling, I expect the Duke of Edinburgh would be outraged as much as he is still going in this attempt to force the Queen to do diehard Remainers dirty work. Hopefully she would refuse and insist on a general election if necessary

No chance, the Queen will not get involved personally
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    timmo said:

At least its not Grayling
    Its worse
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Good morning, everyone.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

HYUFD said:
    There is a ceiling on how many LDs would vote Green because someone tells them to do so in the name of 'progressive alliance' or other such disingenuous guff. I suspect this ceiling is markedly lower in traditional Liberal heartlands than in modern urban centres.

I'd consider voting LD in a LD-Lab marginal. I don't think there's any conceivable situation where I'd ever vote Green though.
    Caroline Lucas seems at times as much a Lib Dem as a Green.....I dont think there is that much space on some of the big issues
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

Assuming the economy holds up he has a narrow path to reelection which involves riling up his racist base in a small number of swing states.

It would be nice to think that this will not work. That America is better than that.

Luckily for me, that is what I do think.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

Caroline Lucas seems at times as much a Lib Dem as a Green.....I dont think there is that much space on some of the big issues
    Last night’s Ashford (Kent) by-election suggests a lot of them will, if the Greens are seen as in with a chance. The Greens almost toppled the Tory.

I certainly would. And indeed have.

The relations in parliament are close. Caroline is on her own and the LibDems are effectively her only mates.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    On topic -

The only way that Johnson will manage to get us out this year is to win an election first.

I do not see an election happening and so I expect this to slide into 2020 and even possibly beyond.

Brexit eh? Whose idea was it in the 1st place? Whoever it was needs to be sent to the naughty step.
  • Options

Ok, kids, something is going on down.

Now Express spashes on dementia and social care. Boris will sort it.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1151967205929705472

Nothing to look at beyond 99% of Express readers being dementia sufferers.

(The other 1% are waiting for good news on Diana)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:

What extreme Remainers don’t realise is just how insanely popular IDS is across the country, and among all ages too.
    “Insanely Popular”

If I read that right, his net rating is a solid -20
    For a Tory that's a result!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743
    Nigelb said:

NYT:

It is only a matter of time before some white nationalist nutter shoots a Democrat politician. This is not normal political discourse that Trump is encouraging.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    His best chance is that the EU loses patience with Britain.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,872
    Roger said:

Ok, kids, something is going on down.

Now Express spashes on dementia and social care. Boris will sort it.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1151967205929705472

Nothing to look at beyond 99% of Express readers being dementia sufferers.
    Though remember, correlation is not causation.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Lab 25.2%
    Con 24.2%
    BRX 19.8%
    LD 18.0%
    Green 6.0%

Baxter:

On the same figures Flavible gives BXP only 16 and the Cons 231. Which looks more credible to me.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

Lab 25.2%
    Con 24.2%
    BRX 19.8%
    LD 18.0%
    Green 6.0%

Baxter:

On the same figures Flavible gives BXP only 16 and the Cons 231. Which looks more credible to me.
    Either way Parliament would be chaotic.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

No chance, the Queen will not get involved personally
    It’s PR, not practical politics. The bottom line is that a PM should not be allowed to ignore parliament.
  • Options
    This idea of Remainers asking the Queen to extend Article 50 is the silliest idea since Leavers seriously considered asking the Queen to suspend democracy.
  • Options
    I challenge any Leaver to look at the picture of Johnson and IDS down thread and claim with a straight face that 52% of the country would still be prepared to follow those two into Brexitland?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    rcs1000 said:

To my mind, the US 2020 election is terribly simple:

If the bond market and the PMIs are correct, and we enter a recession, then Trump is toast, irrespective of the Democratic nominee.

If the economy returns to the heady days of 2018, when it got a great boost from tax cuts, then he's probably back in, irrespective of his opponent.

If the economy is growing, but only marginally (like now), then two things matter:

1. Where the growth is concentrated
    2. Who the Democratic nominee is

Regarding 1, it's worth noting that the rust belt continues to have some of the weakest economic growth in the US. (Annualised, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Indiana are practically in recession. Ohio is little better.) The one rust belt state where President Trump can hold out hope is Pennsylvania, which is growing at a solid 2.5% annualised rate.

This disparity between Texas (+6.6% annualised GDP growth) and Iowa (+0.3%) is problematic for the President, as he's probably going to win Texas irrespective, while Iowa is likely to be a close run thing.

2. Some of the Democratic nominees will find it harder than others. But I think it's too easy to say "Oh, America will never vote for a woman" or "coastal liberals are doomed" or somesuch. I certainly think we overestimate candidates relative to the zeitgeist, the economic conditions, and the popularity of the incumbent.

My forecast, then:

The Democrats will not choose Biden or Sanders. But I don't think this matters, because the Republicans will probably lose Arizona, Iowa and Wisconsin to the Democrats. In the candidate is Harris, they'll probably pick up North Carolina (as Obama did). If it is Buttigieg, I think they'll surprise in Indiana and some places that are whiter and more religious. If it's Warren, I think they'll manage Michigan.

A close run thing in 2020, then, but I forecast a Democratic win. (Albeit not a big one.)

Will Trump accept a close defeat, or try to barricade himself in the White House?
  • Options
    Interestingly the possibility is now being discussed on R4 that Johnson might not become PM because it's possible he won't have the votes to command a majority in the House.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    DougSeal said:

What extreme Remainers don’t realise is just how insanely popular IDS is across the country, and among all ages too.
    “Insanely Popular”

18% think IDS is good; 38% think he was terrible; 44% trying to forget.
  • Options
    The best time for a defection to the LibDems would be as soon as their new leader is announced, and in advance of B&R. And, if a Tory, an immediate blow to incoming Bozo.

I wonder whether they have anyone lined up?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Interestingly the possibility is now being discussed on R4 that Johnson might not become PM because it's possible he won't have the votes to command a majority in the House.

I don’t think it will happen but my betting is set up so that if it did happen all my Christmases would come at once.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

NYT:

It is only a matter of time before some white nationalist nutter shoots a Democrat politician. This is not normal political discourse that Trump is encouraging.
    I didn't realise till this morning that the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) was the body responsible for getting Theresa May to drop the signs on the side of her vans telling immigrants to go home because it broke their code. It is a pity their remit falls short of political advertising or their bus wouldn't have happened.
  • Options

Roger said:

I don’t think it will happen but my betting is set up so that if it did happen all my Christmases would come at once.
    ....and mine and I don't even have a bet
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

....and mine and I don't even have a bet
    My thoughts on this idea from a month ago:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/06/24/the-final-step-why-the-leader-of-the-conservative-party-does-not-automatically-become-prime-minister/
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DougSeal said:

“Insanely Popular”

When YouGov started its ratings, you could explore all the correlations in detail and pull up all the negative comments and demographics on supporters and opponents. What they show now is heavily redacted!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    FF43 said:

DougSeal said:

“Insanely Popular”

Doesn't say much for the others does, it.

And greetings from holidaying Coles on a damp Anglesey, where it is impossible this morning to wave to Mr G on the Great Orme!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    And if/when Johnson proves an utter disaster, just change the rules again ?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    Roger said:

It's only now being discussed? As Alistair says we looked at the possibility a month ago and ordered popcorn in anticipation...
This discussion has been closed.