Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This unique feel good moment has the potential to change our p

Comments

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Do we have the TV viewing figures for the cricket yet?

It will be interesting to see how they compare to the recent football semi-final.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Why were England playing in blue outfits? The English national colours are white and red.

They were playing in their lucky EU blue
    It’ll be that bloody Juncker and Merkel that forced them into the pyjamas. So humiliating. It’s nowhere near bedtime.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311

Viceroy said:

My guess is that anyone attacking Turkey or Latvia would not stop there. I’m also pretty sure that such an attack would not be isolated, would have major regional ripple effects, would lead to huge and sustained economic and financial turmoil, and would cause significant movements of people across borders. For these reasons, I think it’s best to deter such attacks. Jeremy Corbyn would agree with you, though.

Are you willing to pick up a rifle and fight in the fields of Latvia or in the mountains of Turkey?

The Soviet Union no longer exists. What exactly is NATO for? If another threat were to arise in the world, sure we could look at another pact with relevant countries. But NATO is defunct in 2019.

The main threat to the balance of power in Europe today is again Germany, which ironically we've pushed to extending - via the EU - its economic and political power all the way to the Russian border. Any sensible British foreign policy would be aimed at containing Germany.

Ah, you’re a Trumpian loon. So a new-style Tory, not a High Tory.

He is not a conservative. He is a UKIPPER ( TBP) and talks utter nonsense
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    edited July 2019
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

What an awesome day of sport that was!

First country to win world cups in football, rugby and cricket, plus the longest Wimbledon final ever and a fantastic Grand Prix from silverstone watched by nearly 150,000 paying spectators. Well done to all those involved, especially those on the receiving end of the close results (which I probably wouldn’t have said if it had been Australia or India!).

There’s definitely a story to be told about how that last-minute TV deal came about, a good task for a journo today.

Back to life with a bump and a hangover this morning.

Two of the three dodgy as well. New Zealand were robbed yesterday, pathetic they get 4 runs when the ball bounces off their man and then the fixed super over. Only way they ever win , just like 1966.
    Rugby was only exception.
    ...and as a Welshman, I find it tiresome that it is wheeled out and our noses rubbed in it every six nations and every world cup since 2003.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,955
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Though the cricket was entertaining comparing it to the 1966 World cup seems a little over egged. That was a WORLD cup including almost every country in the world. This was a rather more limited affair that includes perhaps 10% of the worlds sports playing nations.

Indeed Europe America China Russia and Japan weren't even represented. Did they even know a contest was taking place?

FIFA World Cup 2018 Semi-Finalists: France, Belgium, Croatia, England. Combined population of 138 million. All from Europe.

ICC ODI World Cup 2019 Semi-Finalists: England & Wales, New Zealand, Australia, India. Combined population of 1,428 million. From Europe, South Asia and Oceania.

Which is the more global sport?
    It's got to do with the international prestige of the competition. I mean how can 'Viceroy' go dancing through the streets of Berlin chanting "Two World Wars and One Limited Overs Cricket World Cup" with a straight face.
    It's actually an incredibly ethnocentric viewpoint that cricket doesn't matter simply because most countries in Europe don't play it. For example IPL averages something like 300-400m viewers, half the entire population of Europe. Cricket is massive. Just not massive in this corner of the world.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

Second. And I wished I shared OGH optimism. But Trump has just let his racist mask slip and will double down rather than apologise and shortly the Tories and us will be lumbered with an incompetent for PM. Good to see Mrs May enjoying the cricket. I suspect history will be kinder to her than her successor.

Theresa May is comfortably the worst Prime Minister of my lifetime. And yet you may be right with your final assertion.
    Worse than Brown? At least she knew what she wanted to do with the job once she got it, even if very little of it got done because of you know what.
    Hard to imagine but much much worse than Brown. Totally clueless.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Scott_P said:
    Even were it possible, believing that anything good might come from an agreement precipitately arrived at, and fronted by Boris, would be evidence of being as high as a viceroy.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Scott_P said:
    Not saying that’s not right, but wasn’t a post Brexit deal with South Korea announced a few weeks ago? Or was that just one of those “rollover” agreements?
  • Options

Genuine question - what’s the cricket demographic? Does it really have significant cut-through?

I only knew there was some cricket on because I overheard our tenors talking about it at church yesterday, and only that it was a World Cup when my Twitter timeline suddenly became full of it last night.

But I’m quite prepared to believe I’m entirely atypical. As the product of a moderately good public school I do of course resent cricket almost as much as rugby, both of them unpleasant tortures imposed on us academically-minded chaps much against our will.

Cricket is an intensely boring sport. They had a day-long match that did not even give a fixed result; AIUI they had to eventually resolve it on the number of boundaries.

A few minutes of drama at the end of eight or nine hours doesn't make it exciting.

Any sport that cannot give a result after so long really isn't a sport. ;)

So the F1 was miles better - if only to see Vettel's career continue to implode ...
    I like cricket because it builds slowly and subtly to a denouement.

For similar reasons I much prefer a fruit cake, that might need at least a week to mature and form more complex flavours after being baked, to something like a Victoria sponge.
    A five-year old son's lack of patience means that it's Victoria Sponge every time at the moment.

"Dad, is it ready yet?"
    Hate to nag, but you’re doing your child a disservice pumping them full of sugar and empty calories. Fill them up with raw carrots, cucumber, peppers, berries, fruit etc. That’s how you build a strong nation of future stars.

Lecture over.
    Teaching a child how to bake, to enjoy making their own food, is not "pumping them full of sugar and empty calories".

It's one step forward on the road to enjoying a chicken curry they've cooked you from scratch.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Though the cricket was entertaining comparing it to the 1966 World cup seems a little over egged. That was a WORLD cup including almost every country in the world. This was a rather more limited affair that includes perhaps 10% of the worlds sports playing nations.

Indeed Europe America China Russia and Japan weren't even represented. Did they even know a contest was taking place?

FIFA World Cup 2018 Semi-Finalists: France, Belgium, Croatia, England. Combined population of 138 million. All from Europe.

ICC ODI World Cup 2019 Semi-Finalists: England & Wales, New Zealand, Australia, India. Combined population of 1,428 million. From Europe, South Asia and Oceania.

It's got to do with the international prestige of the competition. I mean how can 'Viceroy' go dancing through the streets of Berlin chanting "Two World Wars and One Limited Overs Cricket World Cup" with a straight face.
    It's actually an incredibly ethnocentric viewpoint that cricket doesn't matter simply because most countries in Europe don't play it. For example IPL averages something like 300-400m viewers, half the entire population of Europe. Cricket is massive. Just not massive in this corner of the world.
    And the world’s most populous nation is showing some interest:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_national_cricket_team
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031

Genuine question - what’s the cricket demographic? Does it really have significant cut-through?

I only knew there was some cricket on because I overheard our tenors talking about it at church yesterday, and only that it was a World Cup when my Twitter timeline suddenly became full of it last night.

But I’m quite prepared to believe I’m entirely atypical. As the product of a moderately good public school I do of course resent cricket almost as much as rugby, both of them unpleasant tortures imposed on us academically-minded chaps much against our will.

Cricket is an intensely boring sport. They had a day-long match that did not even give a fixed result; AIUI they had to eventually resolve it on the number of boundaries.

A few minutes of drama at the end of eight or nine hours doesn't make it exciting.

So the F1 was miles better - if only to see Vettel's career continue to implode ...

For similar reasons I much prefer a fruit cake, that might need at least a week to mature and form more complex flavours after being baked, to something like a Victoria sponge.
    A five-year old son's lack of patience means that it's Victoria Sponge every time at the moment.

"Dad, is it ready yet?"
    Hate to nag, but you’re doing your child a disservice pumping them full of sugar and empty calories. Fill them up with raw carrots, cucumber, peppers, berries, fruit etc. That’s how you build a strong nation of future stars.

Lecture over.
    I think that's a little unfair: we probably make a cake once a month during term-time, and a bit more regularly during holidays. we bake bread at least weekly.

He's currently sitting downstairs, with his uniform on, and some raspberries in the bowl (a rather dangerous combination that sometimes requires s jumper change). Sweets are treats or rewards, not a right, and I try to get him doing lots of exercise.

My motto is everything in moderation.

Including cake. ;)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Why were England playing in blue outfits? The English national colours are white and red.

They dream of being Scottish
    If Boris takes them over the cliff at Halloween a lot of English folk will want to make that dream a reality. A haven of sanity.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

TOPPING said:

As for @Viceroy he is right. We voted to leave the EU and we haven’t left yet. I can perfectly understand people’s rage at that.

The rage is understandable, not projecting it at those whole told untold lies about how easy and consequence free Leave would be is not.
    Yes also true but that is our political system. More culpable are those who voted Leave and are now surprised at current events.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    A day at the cricket is in my experience the best that sport of any kind has to offer. The banter and good humour in the crowd is vastly superior to the snarling faux hate of football, only rugby comes close and it is too often a boring spectacle. Enjoying the sun, the drink, the food and the company with some brilliant athleticism and sport right in front of you, it really is the best.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

First country to win world cups in football, rugby and cricket, plus the longest Wimbledon final ever and a fantastic Grand Prix from silverstone watched by nearly 150,000 paying spectators. Well done to all those involved, especially those on the receiving end of the close results (which I probably wouldn’t have said if it had been Australia or India!).

There’s definitely a story to be told about how that last-minute TV deal came about, a good task for a journo today.

Two of the three dodgy as well. New Zealand were robbed yesterday, pathetic they get 4 runs when the ball bounces off their man and then the fixed super over. Only way they ever win , just like 1966.
    For someone who professes no interest in cricket, you seem terribly concerned, malcolm.
    Though sadly ignorant of the rules.

Only thing I know about it is what I read on here, but with Irishman in the team , Welsh totally omitted from team name and those dodgy rules that allowed them to steal it from New Zealand , I can see it is just like unionists in UK. With rules like that and days sitting yawning or asleep it is no wonder it is a minority sport or non existant in most countries around the world apart from a few ex colonies..
  • Options

"Dad, is it ready yet?"

Lecture over.
    I think that's a little unfair: we probably make a cake once a month during term-time, and a bit more regularly during holidays. we bake bread at least weekly.

He's currently sitting downstairs, with his uniform on, and some raspberries in the bowl (a rather dangerous combination that sometimes requires s jumper change). Sweets are treats or rewards, not a right, and I try to get him doing lots of exercise.

Including cake. ;)
    Great.

But how does it feel being a moderate in a country of extremists?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited July 2019
    Congratulations to the England cricket team and while I don't think there is a great link between sport and politics the Blair government in 2005 after the 2003 rugby world cup win was re elected, albeit the 1966 World Cup soccer win cane before that year's general election in 1970 the Wilson Government was voted out after England went out
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Sounds like they were a bit over ambitious in their aims.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

On topic yes cricket is deathly boring but this was a World Cup. With England involved. And that made it extremely not boring. I listened to the last two hours in the car and it was amazing entertainment.

Was strong drink involved. Rounders is for children and will never be exciting once you are beyond 10.
  • Options

England being world champions in a sport that everyone has heard of is what has cut-through!

What a keeper
  • Options
    DavidL said:

A day at the cricket is in my experience the best that sport of any kind has to offer. The banter and good humour in the crowd is vastly superior to the snarling faux hate of football, only rugby comes close and it is too often a boring spectacle. Enjoying the sun, the drink, the food and the company with some brilliant athleticism and sport right in front of you, it really is the best.

Translation: it’s only bearable if you’re inebriated.

That’s not a sport, that’s a business.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

...and as a Welshman, I find it tiresome that it is wheeled out and our noses rubbed in it every six nations and every world cup since 2003.
    They have been doing it for over 50 years on a dodgy football one , so you can expect a lot more of it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Congratulations to the England football team

Sh*t missed it amidst all the other sport. What did they win?

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

For someone who professes no interest in cricket, you seem terribly concerned, malcolm.

Only thing I know about it is what I read on here, but with Irishman in the team , Welsh totally omitted from team name and those dodgy rules that allowed them to steal it from New Zealand , I can see it is just like unionists in UK. With rules like that and days sitting yawning or asleep it is no wonder it is a minority sport or non existant in most countries around the world apart from a few ex colonies..
    I don’t like football, malcolm. But I tend to refrain from displaying my prejudice against, and ignorance of the sport.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

"Dad, is it ready yet?"

Lecture over.

Including cake. ;)
    Great.

Bit unfair to call Derbyshire 'a country of extremists.' Chris Williamson is only one person.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Some bitter comments on here this morning from some, anybody would think the French had won a world cup or something...
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Next you will be telling us US football is wonderful
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658
    HYUFD said:

Congratulations to the England football team and while I don't think there is a great link between sport and politics the Wilson Government in 1966 after the England soccer world cup win and the Blair government in 2005 after the 2003 rugby world cup win were both re elected

Cricket team, I believe.

The 1966 General Election was in March, so before the football World Cup, and Wilson lost the following one in 1970.

Other than that, good post!
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Sh*t missed it amidst all the other sport. What did they win?

My mistake, corrected
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Observer, your reference to a High Tory makes me think of high elves.

Mr. Jessop, aye, I like the everything in moderation line too.
  • Options

Do we have the TV viewing figures for the cricket yet?

It will be interesting to see how they compare to the recent football semi-final.

Not for the final, but figures for the group stages are here:

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/1277987
  • Options
    alex. said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Sounds like they were a bit over ambitious in their aims.

True - the Chinese usually take a much longer view. Just evidence of their extraordinary enthusiasm for the sport, I guess. :smile:
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Viceroy ranting from Spain about the threat from foreigners...

As a Brit abroad myself I get the irony but his lunacy is a product of who he is not where he lives.
  • Options

Roger said:

That is mainly because of India though
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Wasn’t there some discussion a few years ago about people here being classified as second generation immigrants even if they were born here if their parents weren’t?

Always seemed daft to me - if you’re born in a country you’re mot an immigrant.

Trump is vile but we know that and despite it all our government wants to cosy up to him. I don’t see how any sporting victory can change any of that.
    Certainly some figures have shown Scottish born voters voted by a small majority for independence in 2014, which Nats occasionally mention
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

PB post of the day.

A genuine snort coffee out your nose moment.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    malcolmg said:

England being world champions in a sport that everyone has heard of is what has cut-through!

What a keeper
    Agreed. Jos Buttler is great.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    malcolmg said:

What a keeper
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Congratulations to the England football team and while I don't think there is a great link between sport and politics the Wilson Government in 1966 after the England soccer world cup win and the Blair government in 2005 after the 2003 rugby world cup win were both re elected

Cricket team, I believe.

The 1966 General Election was in March, so before the football World Cup, and Wilson lost the following one in 1970.

:smiley:
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    DavidL said:

That's a picnic. With some guys standing around away across the field.
  • Options
    How long till HY pastes in that bloody poll?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

Congratulations to the England cricket team and while I don't think there is a great link between sport and politics the Blair government in 2005 after the 2003 rugby world cup win was re elected, albeit the 1966 World Cup soccer win cane before that year's general election in 1970 the Wilson Government was voted out after England went out

No it didn’t, the 1966 general election was in March and the World Cup final was in July.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

If India was divided into dozens of smaller countries, all fielding separate international cricket teams, would it make cricket any more an international sport?

That would seem to be the logical conclusion of the argument comparing football to cricket based on numbers of countries.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cricket team, I believe.

Peter Bonetti lost it for Labour in 1970.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682
    Cyclefree said:

Wasn’t there some discussion a few years ago about people here being classified as second generation immigrants even if they were born here if their parents weren’t?
    Like Trump? And his four of his five children?
  • Options
    On topic, Jacob Rees-Mogg is the Gavin Hamilton of politics.

Massively found out at the top level but more suited to Scotland’s low level.

#NowThatIsWhatYouCallNiche
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

Are we sure it's even proper cricket? The photo of the lads in sky blue look like they are trialling a new outfit for inmates of some privatised prison.

I don't know anybody who gives the slightest fuck about it. I don't think it's going to be moment of transformative nationalism.
    That's true but I thought 'Irish backstops' were cricket related until I came on here.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No it didn’t, the 1966 general election was in March and the World Cup final was in July.

HYUFD said:

Yes, OK well if you read the context of the sentence including the world 'albeit' that is what I meant the general election came before the world cup, I am on the tube and was typing fast
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cricket team, I believe.

Peter Bonetti lost it for Labour in 1970.
    Only decent thing Chelsea have ever done for the country.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    I actually have no interest in any sport that is not about something I h
    felix said:

As a Brit abroad myself I get the irony but his lunacy is a product of who he is not where he lives.
    I don’t know, it was bloody hot yesterday and he sounds like he has had too much sun.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

Are we sure it's even proper cricket? The photo of the lads in sky blue look like they are trialling a new outfit for inmates of some privatised prison.

I don't know anybody who gives the slightest fuck about it. I don't think it's going to be moment of transformative nationalism.
    That's true but I thought 'Irish backstops' were cricket related until I came on here.
    Nah, it's the captain who's Irish. Buttler's from Taunton.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

felix said:

I don’t know, it was bloody hot yesterday and he sounds like he has had too much sun.
    But surely it's easier to get the Sun in the UK? It's printed in Wapping.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

If India was divided into dozens of smaller countries, all fielding separate international cricket teams, would it make cricket any more an international sport?

That would seem to be the logical conclusion of the argument comparing football to cricket based on numbers of countries.
    It is fair to say more people watch cricket in India than the rest of the world combined I expect
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

HYUFD said:

PB post of the day.

A genuine snort coffee out your nose moment.
    After Brexit we’ll be such world beaters that the same team of people will win the World Cup in Football, Cricket and Rugby.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The England ODI team originally wore blue thanks to the Aussies and World Series cricket picking it as white was a no no and red originally clashed with the maroon of the Windies.

In recent years we’ve also worn red, green, and orange.

We went back to the light blue because any England cricket fan will tell you it was the same colour as our ‘92 kit.

But kit colours don’t have to match flags, the Italian football team wear blue.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

I don’t like football, malcolm. But I tend to refrain from displaying my prejudice against, and ignorance of the sport.
    Nigel, no fun in that is there, I am just having a bit of a laugh. I can understand you on football which can be very very boring at times as well.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

malcolmg said:

What a keeper
    I seemed to remember a regular PB poster on here called him the Emile Heskey of cricket the other day....can't quite remember who it was though....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

felix said:

Wapping closed in 2008.

IIRC it is printed in Broxbourne nowadays.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

felix said:

😀 If he buys a paper it will be the mail wrapped up in the telegraph
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    edited July 2019
    There are some predictable comments on here this morning but I would add the following

Cricket is a well loved sport by many, indeed I played it along with tennis, golf and football, but it does not appeal to the majority.

My response to England winning the cricket World Cup is one of pride tinged with great sympathy for the Kiwis who were fantastic, both in the way they played and the way they responded to their devastating defeat

It is true the English team have connections with Ireland, NZ and the Carribean, but it is nonsense to try to make political capital for one argument or another.

The final was the most amazing game of cricket, and not just the end, but the whole game and let us just enjoy the moment and sideline unnecesary bitterness

I did not realise England are the only Country to have won the World cup in football, rugby and cricket
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

It is fair to say more people watch cricket in India than the rest of the world combined I expect
    We could try a different metric. The cricket world cup, despite being younger than the football world cup, has been won by teams from four continents - America, Asia, Europe and Oceania. The football world cup has only been won by teams from two continents - South America and Europe.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,011

The England ODI team originally wore blue thanks to the Aussies and World Series cricket picking it as white was a no no and red originally clashed with the maroon of the Windies.

We went back to the light blue because any England cricket fan will tell you it was the same colour as our ‘92 kit.

And the Kiwis, or course, black. And the England soccer kit usually has some blue in it.
  • Options
    China's economy grew at its slowest pace since the early 1990s in the second quarter, official figures showed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48985789
  • Options

Endillion said:

malcolmg said:

What a keeper
    I seemed to remember a regular PB poster on here called him the Emile Heskey of cricket the other day....can't quite remember who it was though....
    That wasn’t me. I just pointed out what some idiot tweeted to TMS.

One of the reasons I have kept my Lancashire membership is to see Jos Buttler in t20 cricket l.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Urquhart, not sure I'd trust official figures entirely.
  • Options
    felix said:

Has it occured to you 'he' might be your next door neighbour? The woman sitting beside the pool with the big breasts pretending to do the crossword......
  • Options

Endillion said:

malcolmg said:

What a keeper

One of the reasons I have kept my Lancashire membership is to see Jos Buttler in t20 cricket l.
    I presume you have to be a mute when you go and watch, as a proud Yorkshireman?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,121

Mr. Observer, your reference to a High Tory makes me think of high elves.

Mr. Jessop, aye, I like the everything in moderation line too.

"high Tory" = Michael Gove.
  • Options

There are some predictable comments on here this morning but I would add the following

Cricket is a well loved sport by many, indeed I played it along with tennis, golf and football, but it does not appeal to the majority.

My response to England winning the cricket World Cup is one of pride tinged with great sympathy for the Kiwis who were fantastic, both in the way they played and the way they responded to their devastating defeat

It is true the English team have connections with Ireland, NZ and the Carribean, but it is nonsense to try to make political capital for one argument or another.

The final was the most amazing game of cricket, and not just the end, but the whole game and let us just enjoy the moment and sideline unnecesary bitterness

I did not realise England are the only Country to have won the World cup in football, rugby and cricket

G very remiss of you to forget that it is England and Wales, seems to be a very very common error.
  • Options
    Roger said:

felix said:

Has it occured to you 'he' might be your next door neighbour? The woman sitting beside the pool with the big breasts pretending to do the crossword......
    What does a pool with big breasts look like?
  • Options

It is a crap outfit though
  • Options

Endillion said:

malcolmg said:

What a keeper

I presume you have to be a mute when you go and watch, as a proud Yorkshireman?
    All the time, as a Liverpool supporting Yorkshireman working in Manchester I’m always on mute.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

felix said:

Wapping closed in 2008.

IIRC it is printed in Broxbourne nowadays.
    That shows I never catch the Sun...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    malcolmg said:

Scots aren’t able to criticise anyone else’s kits after you lot wore this.

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,121
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Nigel, no fun in that is there, I am just having a bit of a laugh. I can understand you on football which can be very very boring at times as well.
    Worth remembering that there are pockets of genuine enthusiasm for cricket in Scotland. Freuchie, a Fife village team, won the village championship, beating a Surrey team, in 1985!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/reunited-after-25-years-the-scots-1068745.amp

(just saying, as a Fifer).
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Hey! That sounded like an apology! If you're going to be a grouch you have to stay in costume all day or your fans will think you've gone soft
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited July 2019
    Well done to England. I thought they were the best batting team in the tournament and deserved the win. After the three Group losses they needed to beat India, NZ, Aus and NZ and they managed that in style so deserved it!

I've been a cricket fan for years and I prefer Tests but yesterday's final has to go down as one of the best, if not THE best, sport final ever. It was absolutely gripping, and the fact it was played in the sunshine at the greatest cricket venue on Earth, in the greatest sports-event hosting country on Earth, just made it even better.

I'm Welsh so it's hard to praise an English sports team :) but this is one hell of a one-day team and deserved World champs.

None of it has anything to do with Brexit but I will say this... for all the naysayers and doom-mongers the UK is the BEST country (by far) at hosting the big sports events. The RWC2015 was amazing, the 2012 Olympics was brilliant, we have the best football leagues in the world, Wimbledon and the Open Championships are always first class... we are just the best country in which to watch sports: safe, welcoming, accessible in terms of travel and language, and supreme at hosting the big occasion.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited July 2019

malcolmg said:

They only needed brown shorts to look like a Neapolitan ice cream.

• Options
    And we say (often with justification) that the UK Home Office is a mess:

https://twitter.com/delagenicolas/status/1149742052839739392
  • Options
    Endillion said:

malcolmg said:

What a keeper
    LOL, and twice as well
  • Options

malcolmg said:

They only needed brown shorts to look like a Neapolitan ice cream.

That is the most horrific I have ever seen
  • Options
    Anyhoo we all know the England cricket kit colour is Cambridge light blue.

England’s Chairman is a Petrean so this really is a victory for the University of Cambridge.
  • Options
    Wrote "good reasons" twice! (for emphasis or redundant drafting?)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Fenster said:

I'm Welsh so it's hard to praise an English sports team :) but this is one hell of a one-day team and deserved World champs.

It's the Entland and Wales team though the and Wales tends to get dropped. So there should be no difficulty for you at all.
  • Options
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Hey! That sounded like an apology! If you're going to be a grouch you have to stay in costume all day or your fans will think you've gone soft
    Roger, underneath I have a heart of gold
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Anyhoo we all know the England cricket kit colour is Cambridge light blue.

England’s Chairman is a Petrean so this really is a victory for the University of Cambridge.

It's nothing like Eton blue.
  • Options

Wrote "good reasons" twice! (for emphasis or redundant drafting?)
    She really does want a good reason.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Worth remembering that there are pockets of genuine enthusiasm for cricket in Scotland. Freuchie, a Fife village team, won the village championship, beating a Surrey team, in 1985!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/reunited-after-25-years-the-scots-1068745.amp

(just saying, as a Fifer).
    Good few local teams in Ayrshire as well
  • Options
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Roger said:

felix said:

I'll let you know.....

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ef/f7/4a/eff74a85bcbba10c499ae464c1d91555.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2019

And we say (often with justification) that the UK Home Office is a mess:

En Anglais, s'il vous plait?

(Apologies if I got that wrong)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Roger said:

felix said:

All of my neighbour's are Spanish. Your prejudices and stereotypes continue to amuse.
  • Options

Fenster said:

It's the Entland and Wales team though the and Wales tends to get dropped. So there should be no difficulty for you at all.
    Indeed, Robert Croft one example of a former Welsh England cricket team player
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Fenster said:

I know! It's still tough to be seen to be supporting England though. It's the type of thing that gets you hauled around the back of a pub for a kicking!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Fenster said:

Indeed, Robert Croft one example of a former Welsh England cricket team player
    England and Wales Cricket Team!

Wales is part of the team name!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Appreciated, malcolm. I enjoy the back and forth.
  • Options

"Dad, is it ready yet?"

Lecture over.

Including cake. ;)
    Great.

I'm not. The vast majority of people I know - whether left or right, leaver or remainer, are not what I'd call 'extreme'. When we talk, we can agree on more than we disagree. And I think the same'd be true of PBers as well if/when we met in person - t'Internet can lead to horrible conversations.

Disagreeing with someone's point doesn't automatically make them 'extreme' or you 'moderate'.
  • Options
    Roger said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

felix said:

I'll let you know.....

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ef/f7/4a/eff74a85bcbba10c499ae464c1d91555.jpg
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-48982140
This discussion has been closed.