Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What is there to say after a sporting day like this one?

2»

Comments

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Scott_P said:
    Quite right too ! And after what she said about Johnson in the GE2017 debates. They all like chauffer driven cars !
    Good riddance to her . A complete sell out , I really hope Bozo fires her and she can sit friendless on the backbenches , a fate deserving of Hancock aswell .
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    nico67 said:

Scott_P said:
    Quite right too ! And after what she said about Johnson in the GE2017 debates. They all like chauffer driven cars !
    Good riddance to her . A complete sell out , I really hope Bozo fires her and she can sit friendless on the backbenches , a fate deserving of Hancock aswell .
    I think I saw Hancock sitting next to John Major for a while at Lords today.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,776

Nigelb said:

Boris would actually be NOT OUT with that shot.

According to HYUFD ?
    According to the rules of cricket. Both bails are still on the stumps and none of the three stumps have left the ground.
    But I'm pretty sure the top of the middle stump is about to fall down, making the bails leave the stumps!
  • Options
    Hooray! My favourite Tory.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    tlg86 said:

Good point on Sky News paper review. England's three world cup wins have all been after extra time.

Rugby ? How ?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    I have absolutely no idea what you're all talking about.

I had a very good day’s gardening. Actually spent all weekend gardening. Most satisfying.

Presumably our pillock politicians are still being pillocks ......
  • Options

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:
    I think I saw Hancock sitting next to John Major for a while at Lords today.
    Must have picked up Boris's scent.....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131
    Just watching the cricket highlights, New Zealand must be pig sick - on about ten counts. How the hell England won is a mystery.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Just watching the cricket highlights, New Zealand must be pig sick - on about ten counts. How the hell England won is a mystery.

I think they deserved to win. Feel very sorry for them.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Roger said:
    Hasn't he already been beaten up?
  • Options
    Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48984959
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Honestly, on Bastille Day you could at least have the decency to talk about the Tour de France. Granted it waa a fairly soporific stage today, but compared to cricket...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131
    AndyJS said:

Indeed. But tempered by the knowledge there is someone wandering home dressed up in a full kiwi costume. Complete with a yellow bill - that does look like a jaundiced dick.

Hur hur hur.....
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    AndyJS said:

From comments made by those who work for him, he is a pretty nasty piece of work.
  • Options
    Even the New York Times is reporting on the cricket final.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/14/sports/cricket/england-cricket-world-cup.html
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Indeed. But tempered by the knowledge there is someone wandering home dressed up in a full kiwi costume. Complete with a yellow bill - that does look like a jaundiced dick.

Hur hur hur.....
    'Winning' the competition in that way rather exposes the entire event to ridicule - and worth very little.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Hur hur hur.....
    'Winning' the competition in that way rather exposes the entire event to ridicule - and worth very little.
    Is the super over really any different to a penalty shoot-out?

Is taking into consideration the number of boundaries scored that different to goal or points difference in football or other sports?

England won within the rules as known to all sides at the start of the competition and so their win is perfectly valid.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I have just met up with my remainer Conservative friend. He is still sticking with the Conservatives despite it. He did say he appreciated better why I had continued to support Corbyn despite not really being in tune with him. I guess there's a little bit if HYUFD in all of us.

(I didn't have the heart to tell him I've switched to Lib Dems.)
  • Options

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Hur hur hur.....

Is taking into consideration the number of boundaries scored that different to goal or points difference in football or other sports?

England won within the rules as known to all sides at the start of the competition and so their win is perfectly valid.
    You may think that , but I doubt that objective observers will agree!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Scott_P said:
    I wonder how many that is a new revelation for. I dont wonder if anyone new will care though.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Scott_P said:
    Sad if that is the height of his ambitions.
    Being pm is the height of his ambition. The rest will work itself out
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Hur hur hur.....

How do you objectively determine who are the objective observers?
  • Options
    He can be a twat if he likes, or he was attempting a joke, but unless he knows nothing about cricket at all I'm amazed he did not see the obvious replies coming .
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Hur hur hur.....

Objective observers presumably think the tie break rules are a bit odd but it's a very unusual situation to need to tie break your tie break and everyone was under the same rules so thems the breaks.

I doubt most people will give it a second thought.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Hur hur hur.....

How do you objectively determine who are the objective observers?
    They'll have the same opinion as him.
  • Options

Honestly, on Bastille Day you could at least have the decency to talk about the Tour de France. Granted it waa a fairly soporific stage today, but compared to cricket...

There are non soporific stages in cycling events?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Hur hur hur.....

It is not a matter of thinking anything.

The objective fact is that the rules were known. England won by the rules.

You may wish to argue that rules were wrong - but that is your opinion. And thus subjective.

By all measures of objectivity, England won the Cricket World Cup. It was an unusual route to a win - but it was a valid win.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

From comments made by those who work for him, he is a pretty nasty piece of work.
    Many great champions are, I would bet .
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Good point on Sky News paper review. England's three world cup wins have all been after extra time.

Rugby ? How ?
    Er, in the sense it was won in extra time with a Wilkinson drop goal.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

Rugby League World Cup.

Now if England ever win that, then we'd have something to shout about.

Rugby League isn't proper rugby, not with that big girl's blouse fifth tackle rule.

In proper rugby you have prise the ball from our cold cold dead hands.
    Proper football should be played with the feet!
    I’m afraid that is now called soccer in some countries
    In Los Angeles, we support Los Angeles Football Club - LAFC
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:
    Didnt Toby Young get sacked from an appointed position for something he said in the past?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:
    He ruined his man of the people pitch by mentioning he through privilge had recieved a racket! Is he incapable of message discipline? Or does he just add things into tweets that he hopes a public figures popularity will rub off on him? I said it the other day and will say it again: He is just like Gordon Brown for his blatent attempts to get a boost from others hard work....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    HYUFD said:
    Has to do a humblebrag hasn’t he?

Real “man of the people”!
  • Options
    The only problem with a day like we've just had is that sport in the future is going to seem disappointing by comparison.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I wonder how many that is a new revelation for. I dont wonder if anyone new will care though.
    As many will know, I bet against Boris because no sensible Conservative MP would back a man who is susceptible to the same attacks made against Jeremy Corbyn, and worse. I was wrong. But just imagine the headlines if it were Corbyn on that tape.

• Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited July 2019
    justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Source? All conventional reports are that Mercedes staff (to the extent that they could be described as working ‘for’ him, but not sure who else you might be referring to) absolutely love him, and that is a major part of the team’s, and by extension his, success.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Clear error in the application of law 19.8 by the umpire when awarding 6 runs on the stokes / overthrow incident should have been 5.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Hur hur hur.....

You may wish to argue that rules were wrong - but that is your opinion. And thus subjective.

By all measures of objectivity, England won the Cricket World Cup. It was an unusual route to a win - but it was a valid win.
    The tiebreak rules influenced the approach of the players. If England had needed 3 to win off 2 balls then they would have taken a different approach to get them. Previous rules would have determined the result based on finishing position in the group stage so they would have won on those anyway.

They were extremely fortunate to win because of the outrageous slices of fortune that went their way in the last couple of overs, but that is the nature of close matches. The losing side can always look back and say ‘what if?). Sometimes the sporting Gods are just against you.

• Options
    edited July 2019

Scott_P said:
    Er...but it is CONGRESS which ratifies trade deals ! And zero chance of that now.
    He’s a complete plonker. And obviously he’s been completely captured by hardline Brexiteers who obviously believe in this nonsense.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,926
    alex. said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Hur hur hur.....

The tiebreak rules influenced the approach of the players. If England had needed 3 to win off 2 balls then they would have taken a different approach to get them. Previous rules would have determined the result based on finishing position in the group stage so they would have won on those anyway.

They were extremely fortunate to win because of the outrageous slices of fortune that went their way in the last couple of overs, but that is the nature of close matches. The losing side can always look back and say ‘what if?). Sometimes the sporting Gods are just against you.

That was an amazing match, and worthy of the final. Feel genuinely sorry for the Kiwis (in a way that I wouldn’t have done had it been Australia or India!) for putting on a great show, and unfortunate that someone had to be on the losing side of a dead heat.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    As many will know, I bet against Boris because no sensible Conservative MP would back a man who is susceptible to the same attacks made against Jeremy Corbyn, and worse. I was wrong. But just imagine the headlines if it were Corbyn on that tape.

The more cynical might suggest the attacks on Corbyn were designed to open up the way to Johnson and make him more acceptable....
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

The more cynical might suggest the attacks on Corbyn were designed to open up the way to Johnson and make him more acceptable....
    Yeah! Wake up sheeple!
  • Options

Clear error in the application of law 19.8 by the umpire when awarding 6 runs on the stokes / overthrow incident should have been 5.

It appears so. Actually I think they might well change the laws on this (overthrows after deflection off a batsman). Cricketing etiquette says you don’t take runs after such deflections (where you have a choice) it is an anomaly that this isn’t formalised to prevent the umpire awarding them either.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Yeah! Wake up sheeple!
    Everything seems to be a conspiracy with you....
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,103

HYUFD said:
    Has to do a humblebrag hasn’t he?

Real “man of the people”!
    Too many tweets ...
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Yeah! Wake up sheeple!
    Everything seems to be a conspiracy with you....
    A common characteristic of political extremists at both ends of the spectrum is a belief that they are being thwarted by shadowy conspiracies, usually by "the establishment" and/or "the mainstream media". Ultra Brexiters and Corbynistas both imagine themselves to be victims of such conspiracies. When all else fails it's a handy excuse for the unpopularity and unrealism of their political positions.
This discussion has been closed.