Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What is there to say after a sporting day like this one?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited July 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What is there to say after a sporting day like this one?

Cartoon by @briancartoon for @Independent https://t.co/ZeBZCzCttV pic.twitter.com/N1C7CN79MJ

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416
    Boris would actually be NOT OUT with that shot.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838
    Second like Valtteri Bottas, New Zealand and Roger Federer.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Third like F1 in the ratings.
  • Options
    Electric go-kart race is still going on, for anyone who wants more sport to watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DaAuxN1hJVU
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    I'm betting that Boris somehow engineers a delay to the Downing Street reception for the England cricket team until May is out the door....
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    edited July 2019
    So, phytosanitary checks on the Northern Irish border, anyone?

More urgently, I’m trying and failing to explain to my German wife what the point of cricket is, why we should care about the World Cup when countries like, errr, Germany can’t be bothered, and why today was such a great match. Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited July 2019

I'm betting that Boris somehow engineers a delay to the Downing Street reception for the England cricket team until May is out the door....

Do it tomorrow morning, like in 2005, so we can see who’s the Flintoff that’s clearly not been to bed and can barely stand up straight!

• Options
    edited July 2019

Hopefully none of the cricketers go for a leak (not the Mail on Sunday kind) in the rose garden, this time.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I see Trump has been particularly racist today.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    "I'd focussed on the tennis"

Heretic!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

According to HYUFD ?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Alistair said:

Particularly ?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    tpfkar said:

More urgently, I’m trying and failing to explain to my German wife what the point of cricket is, why we should care about the World Cup when countries like, errr, Germany can’t be bothered, and why today was such a great match. Any ideas?

Don't bother?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Alistair said:

Even for someone as dumb and bigoted as Trump it was exceptionally indefensible and stupid. I think it's quite fair to say that anyone who defends or agrees with those tweets is themselves a racist.

I sure as hell would like to hear what Boris thinks about them.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    So Theresa May joins David Cameron, Tony Blair, and Harold Wilson as a world cup winning PM.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    tpfkar said:

Tell her we play it because the Germans do not, so we have a good chance of winning.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

So Theresa May joins David Cameron, Tony Blair, and Harold Wilson as a world cup winning PM.

What did England win between 2010 and 2016?
  • Options

What did Camo win?
  • Options
    @Sandpit - I've just put on the Formula E race. What the hell is "attack mode" - it looked like something out of Fun House?
  • Options

Darts.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Darts.
    Oh yes the World Cup of Darts ! Dont we win that every year or at least share it with Holland?
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

My Ukrainian wife doesn’t understand why I’m still dancing around the house either. And it’s just turned her birthday!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    tlg86 said:

@Sandpit - I've just put on the Formula E race. What the hell is "attack mode" - it looked like something out of Fun House?

It’s four minutes of extra power, activated by taking a different route down the straights and allowed to be used twice by each driver during the race.

The real Fun House is the “Fan Boost”, whereby the drivers with the most social media followers get a few seconds of extra power on one occasion during the second half of the race.

By the way, there’s currently 4,000 people watching the worldwide live stream of the FE race on YouTube. That’s how popular it is.
  • Options

World T20 in 2010.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Just coming down to Earth. Not quite there yet. What a game.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Sandpit said:

tpfkar said:

My Ukrainian wife doesn’t understand why I’m still dancing around the house either. And it’s just turned her birthday!
    Isn't the real question, what is the point of marrying women like that?
  • Options

World T20 in 2010.
    Not a world cup at the time, though.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

World T20 in 2010.
    The ICC said at the time we were the world champions, so it counts as a world cup.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    That was the most unbelievable, exciting, nerve wracking thing I have ever watched, how anybody thought the tennis was more interesting. Bloody well done the black caps, bloody well done England and Wales I’m privileged to have seen it let’s hope the stupid plans for limited overs going forward don’t ruin the game
  • Options

tlg86 said:

World T20 in 2010.
    The ICC said at the time we were the world champions, so it counts as a world cup.
    Ah, but there's the problem, it's "a" world cup, not "the" world cup. That's what we won today.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    edited July 2019
    Well done to England and Novak Djokovic
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    tpfkar said:

Hard to justify calling it a world cup, when only about 4 countries play the sport.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Do they have a European Championships for Cricket? :lol:

tpfkar said:

Tell her we play it because the Germans do not, so we have a good chance of winning.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

tpfkar said:

Hard to justify calling it a world cup, when only about 4 countries play the sport.
    About thirty countries play international cricket. I’m not sure how many play in the baseball World Series
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

World T20 in 2010.
    Ah, but there's the problem, it's "a" world cup, not "the" world cup. That's what we won today.
    It counts, if you can call yourselves the world champions then it is a world cup.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    tpfkar said:

Tell her she's not alone. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    nichomar said:

Andrew said:

tpfkar said:

About thirty countries play international cricket. I’m not sure how many play in the baseball World Series
    30?

Pah, FIFA consists of 211 national associations.
  • Options
    Unfortunately for Boris I don't think there's any world cups scheduled in the next few months.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

Alistair said:

Particularly ?
    Yes, saying "send them back where they came from" about people born in the US is pretty naked stuff.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tpfkar said:

She doesn’t understand that you’re happy to have lost £100 that you put on about five hours ago
  • Options

Unfortunately for Boris I don't think there's any world cups scheduled in the next few months.

Rugby World Cup, in September and October.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Particularly ?
    Yes, saying "send them back where they came from" about people born in the US is pretty naked stuff.
    You are very quick to criticise Trump but very slow to criticise racism in your own party.
  • Options

"I love tennis with a passion. I challenged Boris Becker to a match once and he said he was up for it but he never called back. I bet I could make him run around."
    - Boris, 21 March 2005.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Rugby World Cup, in September and October.
    Too late I think.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Andrew said:

tpfkar said:

30?

‘‘Twas just a guess, I think cricket and rugby union are on a par for world class international team and the way the World Cup plays out is not that different but I stand to be corrected.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Andrew said:

tpfkar said:

30?

but its quality not quantity - by definition any country that is civilised enough to play cricket is on the quality side
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    nichomar said:

Sandpit said:

tpfkar said:

She doesn’t understand that you’re happy to have lost £100 that you put on about five hours ago
    Betfair voided the market on the match as it was a tie (buried in the Ts and Cs). I had £100 on both sides at roughly 2/1. Not that I care at all, but it must have cost Betfair a fortune to void a £100m market.

There was another market that included the tie, which many fewer people played.

She’s happy that I’m happy, and still doesn’t understand cricket. I’ll have her trained by the end of the Ashes. ;)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    edited July 2019
    nichomar said:

Andrew said:

tpfkar said:

The World Series is (possibly) named after the New York World newspaper, rather than claiming to be a World Cup, and began as the World’s Series.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

nichomar said:

Sandpit said:

tpfkar said:

Betfair voided the market on the match as it was a tie (buried in the Ts and Cs). I had £100 on both sides at roughly 2/1. Not that I care at all, but it must have cost Betfair a fortune to void a £100m market.

She’s happy that I’m happy, and still doesn’t understand cricket. I’ll have her trained by the end of the Ashes. ;)
    I did wonder when it was a tie if bets would be voided but you clearly have won each way
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

Andrew said:

tpfkar said:

The World Series is (possibly) named after the New York World newspaper, rather than claiming to be a World Cup, and began as the World’s Series.
    That’s a well publicised myth.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Andrew said:

tpfkar said:

30?

but its quality not quantity - by definition any country that is civilised enough to play cricket is on the quality side
    Cricket is a symbol of British colonial oppression :trollface:
  • Options
    Rugby League World Cup.

Now if England ever win that, then we'd have something to shout about.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Andrew said:

tpfkar said:

30?

‘‘Twas just a guess, I think cricket and rugby union are on a par for world class international team and the way the World Cup plays out is not that different but I stand to be corrected.
    FIFA is football, as a direct comparison!
  • Options

nichomar said:

Andrew said:

tpfkar said:

30?

Or as a symbol of how on occasion we added value.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    tlg86 said:

Rugby League World Cup.

Rugby League isn't proper rugby, not with that big girl's blouse fifth tackle rule.

In proper rugby you have prise the ball from our cold cold dead hands.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    nichomar said:

Sandpit said:

nichomar said:

Sandpit said:

tpfkar said:

I did wonder when it was a tie if bets would be voided but you clearly have won each way
    I would have made ~£100 profit (less commission) on either definitive result, but ended up with nothing but my stakes back. The tie was the only result on which I didn’t win.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

Andrew said:

tpfkar said:

The series was promoted and referred to as "The Championship of the United States",[5][6] "World's Championship Series", or "World's Series" for short. In his book Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883, Simon Winchester mentions in passing that the World Series was named for the New York World newspaper,[7] but this view is disputed.[8]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series
  • Options
    Maybe the start of another famous treble bet, England win the cricket World Cup, Liverpool win the premier league and the lib dems win ....... ok I can dream
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Eight countries have won the football World Cup, six the cricket, 4 the rugby union, 2 the rugby league
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    edited July 2019
    Sandpit said:

tpfkar said:

Happy birthday to Mrs Pit (the elder?) and thanks for all your suggestions, got a giggle or two from us both :)

• Options

tlg86 said:

Rugby League World Cup.

Rugby League isn't proper rugby, not with that big girl's blouse fifth tackle rule.

Proper football should be played with the feet!
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    Sandpit said:

tpfkar said:

I did once stroll along a golf course with a Ukrainian lass of some considerable interest, the fathoming of a near half kilometer range to a 10cm target was a little beyond her, the explaining that there you had to complete18 of these ranges, more so.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Rugby League World Cup.

I’m afraid that is now called soccer in some countries
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

• Options
    alex. said:

Eight countries have won the football World Cup, six the cricket, 4 the rugby union, 2 the rugby league

The most remarkable thing, in my opinion, is that South Africa have not made even a final in the cricket world cup. They have massively underachieved since they came back into the fold in 1992.
  • Options
    There must be a poll which shows which sport is the true sport and is going to conquer the world?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    nichomar said:

Maybe the start of another famous treble bet, England win the cricket World Cup, Liverpool win the premier league and the lib dems win ....... ok I can dream

This could be the middle of a decent treble.

Liverpool win the Champions League, England the World Cup, Boris . . . ;)
  • Options
    nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

Rugby League World Cup.

I’m afraid that is now called soccer in some countries
    Still football:

Fédération Internationale de Football Association

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So the Graudiad finally found this one in their archives, and followed up with it a month too late...
  • Options
    nichomar said:

There must be a poll which shows which sport is the true sport and is going to conquer the world?

Well it certainly ain't crappy cricket :lol:
  • Options

nichomar said:

Well it certainly ain't crappy cricket :lol:
    Golf
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

alex. said:

The most remarkable thing, in my opinion, is that South Africa have not made even a final in the cricket world cup. They have massively underachieved since they came back into the fold in 1992.
    Surprised to see that Zimbabwe failed to qualify.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Fantastic cricket event.... And even headbanger Rees mogg idiocy can't ruin the day.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Nigelb said:

According to HYUFD ?
    According to the rules of cricket. Both bails are still on the stumps and none of the three stumps have left the ground.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    tlg86 said:

Rugby League World Cup.

Australia are err "strong" at that one.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

alex. said:

Well unfortunately the history around their cricket is very sad although I don’t recall the details but given what goes on out there it’s not surprising
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The FT goes puntastic about the cricket (see top left):

https://twitter.com/alliehbnews/status/1150502850784616448?s=21
  • Options
    nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

alex. said:

Well unfortunately the history around their cricket is very sad although I don’t recall the details but given what goes on out there it’s not surprising
    Otoh Afghanistan are doing well considering their issues.
  • Options

Fantastic cricket event.... And even headbanger Rees mogg idiocy can't ruin the day.

Nothing can ruin the day
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

alex. said:

True will need to look into why I think
  • Options

The FT goes puntastic about the cricket (see top left):

https://twitter.com/alliehbnews/status/1150502850784616448?s=21

A win by countback on boundaries + an astonishingly lucky overthrow 4 for Stokes ! We'll have to remember that one any time we have some inevitable bad luck in sport.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

alex. said:

Obviously there are more important things than cricket or sport in general, but the impact on cricket in Zimbabwe is quite sad in my opinion. They had a good team in the 1990s and helped knock England out in 1999. On that subject, I think the format used in 1999 was better than the one used this time. Of course, had the 1999 format been used this time, England might have been out weeks ago.
  • Options
    Well at last I understand what a supernova is!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

alex. said:

I have friends involved in their setup, based out of Dubai. To say that the Afghan cricket team is completely inspiring a nation to rebuild themselves after all they’ve gone through, is the most gross of gross understatements.

Their participation in this tournament meant so much to define them as a nation on an international stage, irrespective of the results.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Sad if that is the height of his ambitions.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

nichomar said:

Andrew said:

tpfkar said:

30?

There were an awful lot of oppressed colonial Asians with England flags on their cars or faces round here tonight.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Quite right too ! And after what she said about Johnson in the GE2017 debates. They all like chauffer driven cars !
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    nichomar said:

Scott_P said:
    Sad if that is the height of his ambitions.
    That explains why the Americans turned their lights off: they are pretending to be out when Boris calls round.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Er...but it is CONGRESS which ratifies trade deals ! And zero chance of that now.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:
    I used get_iplayer to make sure that I had access to the original - and if they do succeed in forcing an edit (which I think is highly unlikely), we can make sure the original stays in circulation
  • Options

nichomar said:

Andrew said:

tpfkar said:

30?

There were an awful lot of oppressed colonial Asians with England flags on their cars or faces round here tonight.
    In fact, it seemed they were the majority.
  • Options
    Good point on Sky News paper review. England's three world cup wins have all been after extra time.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

alex. said:

I have friends involved in their setup, based out of Dubai. To say that the Afghan cricket team is completely inspiring a nation to rebuild themselves after all they’ve gone through, is the most gross of gross understatements.

Their participation in this tournament meant so much to define them as a nation on an international stage, irrespective of the results.
    I went on a good number of business trips to Bangladesh in the early 90's. Getting a test match with England would have opened up to me the riches of their (admittedly riches-light) country. Sadly, couldn't wangle it - but somebody else delivered that a few years later.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918

nichomar said:

Andrew said:

tpfkar said:

30?

There are 105 nations who play cricket and are full or associate members of the ICC.
This discussion has been closed.