Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The most accurate pollster at the Euros has Hunt rated better

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    edited June 2019
    Predictably poor figures for Corbyn. The country just don't want a 70's tribute act. Certainly those who were alive first time round dont. I just hope he reads the polls and gets the message. Thornberry is the perfect mixture of Nurse Ratched and Nicola Sturgeon. That should cover all bases
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013

Interesting. Lib Dems looking even more worth a punt.
    No Greens. Hint of no PC too. If we get a Brexit candidate then it looks like LD gain.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Boris in the bunker - "Downfall" remix :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a6HNXtdvVQ
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    JackW said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

12% for BXP is potentially very interesting.

The scary bit about that poll - from a Conservative perspective - is that:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

A little bit of tactical voting, and things could look very ugly indeed for the Conservatives
    Don't worry, I'm sure HUYFD will be along shortly to tell you why that's wrong . Sorry he already has!
    I fear the next election will make 1997 look like a good night for the Tories.
    Couldn't get much worse in Scotland .... They got zero seats in 1997.
    It could. A Unionist wipe out in Scotland with the SNP on 59 seats would be the cherry on the parfait.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    Anyone else not know who Bip Ling is?
  • Options

JackW said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

A little bit of tactical voting, and things could look very ugly indeed for the Conservatives
    Don't worry, I'm sure HUYFD will be along shortly to tell you why that's wrong . Sorry he already has!
    It could. A Unionist wipe out in Scotland with the SNP on 59 seats would be the cherry on the parfait.
    There will always be Orkney & Shetland ....
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

JackW said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

Better that than 97

Labour are not our allies.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

No Greens. Hint of no PC too. If we get a Brexit candidate then it looks like LD gain.
    TBP are standing but yet to select their candidate.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    dixiedean said:

I honestly thought it looked like a LD gain anyway, if a narrow one.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

According to Ipsos-Mori only 17% very likely to vote Conservative if Hunt were leader and only 19% if Boris were leader so poor compared to the 26% among those certain to vote (9/10) Conservative at present.

Only 6% of other party voters would switch if Boris became Party leader and just 3% if Hunt became leader so again no great groundswell of support there.

Ipsos Mori actually had 36% likely to vote Tory under Boris and 32% likely to vote Tory under Hunt so both significantly higher than the 26% currently voting Tory.

21% of current non Tory voters are likely to vote Tory under Boris and 14% under Hunt

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/little-choose-between-hunt-and-johnson-terms-public-opinion
    MORI’s own summary of its poll finding: ”There is little evidence that either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt would make much difference to how likely people would be to consider voting Conservative.”

Believe the official report - not the Comical HYali spin!
    Just read it

Ipsos Mori has 17% of 2017 Labour voters likely to vote Tory if Boris is Tory leader and 12% likely to vote Tory if Hunt is Tory leader (p36 and 38 of the tables)

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/little-choose-between-hunt-and-johnson-terms-public-opinion
    Ipsos Mori also has 12% of 2017 LD voters likely to vote Tory if Boris or Hunt are Tory leader.

So in total 29% of 2017 Labour or LD voters are likely to vote for a Boris led Tory Party while only 15% of current Tory voters are unlikely to vote for a Boris led Tory Party.

With Hunt 14% of 2017 Labour or LD voters are likely to vote for a Hunt led Tories and only 11% of current Tory voters are unlikely to vote for a Hunt led Tories
    I have to expose this complete abuse of maths, even knowing that MikeL has allready called it out.

One recent poll has the LDs on 18% (and that is after don't knows have been excluded).
    12% of 18% is 2.88%

12% of LD voters is nowhere near 12% of voters!

This is something a GCSE maths pupil should be getting right.
    Have you not heard of positive optimistic maths? Or alternative maths? The ERG and HYUFD have their own counting system and anyone else is peddling more fake maths.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

Interesting, even on the night on 97 as the results came in you never really thought that the Tories would never win an election again. It was a pasting, but it wasn't a wipe out. You could even imagine them getting in at the next election.

Now, even though they are literally the current government it is very easy to think that they may not be on the scene much longer.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Endillion said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1144270426761285632

Good luck Labour. You have a complete albatross as leader. Poison on the doorsteps.

But he has his integrity and he won last time.

So it's all ok.

To be fair to Corbyn he has 4% more satisfied with him than Foot, 1% more satisfied with him than was the case with IDS and Hague had only 2% more satisfied with him than Corbyn, even if Corbyn has more dissatisfied with him than Foot, IDS and Hague and Ed Miliband
    Interestingly I think only IDS and Corbyn had equal or less frontbench experience to Bozo when they assumed the role
    Boris was Foreign Secretary and Mayor of London for 8 years, a bigger executive position than running some countries
    Don't be ridiculous Mayor of London is a vanity position. Well suited to Boris Johnson. How long was he Foreign Sec for again? What is he most remembered for?
    Mayor of London isn't a vanity position. Boris did a decent job. Khan is doing ok, but he isn't making it look easy.
    If it's a vanity position, who exactly do I blame for continually raising my tube fares?
    Hmm, good question. The unions? You could blame the rest of the population who are less willing to subsidise your travel needs perhaps?
    Somebody is making the decision to raise fares. If it isn't Khan, who is it?
  • Options

12% for the Brexit party? That's seriously out of line with most other recent polls. That doesn't mean it's wrong but it does mean that it needs to be treated with care.

I'm not altogether surprised at the fallback - they've had hardly any publicity for a few weeks, what with the Boris Show and all. That low share could easily rise quickly depending on circumstances. What is surprising is that the Con+Brexit+Ukip share is under 40%. If that's correct, it suggests that even though some Tories have switched back from Farage, another bunch of Tories have switched to the LibDems. This could be a worrying precursor to a BJ leadership - that Remainer/Wet Tories are unwilling to vote for him.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Tories in the lead?? It’s a bit like the downfall parody. What the hell do they have to do? The self destruct button has quit from overuse, May is a walking parody of a PM, Tories spend their time taking lumps out of each other, Boris ducks and dives every question or interview and they lead.

The tradition is that the Tories are the stupid party. Labour look like winners in that competition if nothing else.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Dadge said:

12% for the Brexit party? That's seriously out of line with most other recent polls. That doesn't mean it's wrong but it does mean that it needs to be treated with care.

I'm not altogether surprised at the fallback - they've had hardly any publicity for a few weeks, what with the Boris Show and all. That low share could easily rise quickly depending on circumstances. What is surprising is that the Con+Brexit+Ukip share is under 40%. If that's correct, it suggests that even though some Tories have switched back from Farage, another bunch of Tories have switched to the LibDems. This could be a worrying precursor to a BJ leadership - that Remainer/Wet Tories are unwilling to vote for him.
    A slightly more recent poll has the party on 22%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2019
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Dadge said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2019
    True. I'm just speculating how the Mori poll *might* be correct. Other polls have Farage on 20%+ but it has been thought that polls are overstating BxP support.
  • Options
    Btw was down for the England Australia game. I really can’t see anyone other than Australia winning the tournament. Their fielding is just miles ahead of anyone else and their bowlers bite.

London seemed to be buzzing as usual. A few more sales on than usual perhaps. The politicians are doing their best to screw the country but I saw little sign that the country is taking their efforts seriously.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    JackW said:

Boris in the bunker - "Downfall" remix :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a6HNXtdvVQ

"TOTAL BREXIT - SHORTEST BREXIT!"
  • Options
    Corbyn as PM with a significant minority government with say 150 Lib Dems and Scot Nats would be ideal. It could also be a very popular government.

The UK without it's head half way up Trumps backside would certainly be popular and the only leader guaranteed to give no quarter to Trumps America is one led by Corbyn
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Tories in the lead?? It’s a bit like the downfall parody. What the hell do they have to do? The self destruct button has quit from overuse, May is a walking parody of a PM, Tories spend their time taking lumps out of each other, Boris ducks and dives every question or interview and they lead.

The tradition is that the Tories are the stupid party. Labour look like winners in that competition if nothing else.

In the lead does not matter, it is suggesting around 240 seats, probably an overestimate once you get anti-tory tactical voting across the south.

They are only vaguely interested in a third of the vote, so like Corbyn need a miracle and weak opponent to have any chance of a majority.

A landslide is on offer for whichever of the Tories or Labour regains their sanity first.
  • Options
    Ruth Davidson was on the (much delayed) plane last night. I always get a shock when I see her in person. She is very small. It’s a lot less obvious on the TV.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

RobD said:

Has the Conservative Party become a death cult?

https://t.co/MfmnqgQilz

Yes, the party is obsessed with death. Could people tone down the hyperbole, I wonder?
    As Sunil put it.

“I ask you: Do you want total Brexit? If necessary, do you want a Brexit more total and radical than anything that we can even yet imagine?”
    "Now, people, rise up, and let the Brexit storm loose!"

:lol:
  • Options

DavidL said:

In the lead does not matter, it is suggesting around 240 seats, probably an overestimate once you get anti-tory tactical voting across the south.

They are only vaguely interested in a third of the vote, so like Corbyn need a miracle and weak opponent to have any chance of a majority.

A landslide is on offer for whichever of the Tories or Labour regains their sanity first.
    It’s wrong to say that it doesn’t matter. It may not be enough but better in the lead than 4th like they were in the Euros.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,350

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

According to Ipsos-Mori only 17% very likely to vote Conservative if Hunt were leader and only 19% if Boris were leader so poor compared to the 26% among those certain to vote (9/10) Conservative at present.

Only 6% of other party voters would switch if Boris became Party leader and just 3% if Hunt became leader so again no great groundswell of support there.

Ipsos Mori actually had 36% likely to vote Tory under Boris and 32% likely to vote Tory under Hunt so both significantly higher than the 26% currently voting Tory.

21% of current non Tory voters are likely to vote Tory under Boris and 14% under Hunt

MORI’s own summary of its poll finding: ”There is little evidence that either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt would make much difference to how likely people would be to consider voting Conservative.”

Just read it

Ipsos Mori has 17% of 2017 Labour voters likely to vote Tory if Boris is Tory leader and 12% likely to vote Tory if Hunt is Tory leader (p36 and 38 of the tables)

Ipsos Mori also has 12% of 2017 LD voters likely to vote Tory if Boris or Hunt are Tory leader.

So in total 29% of 2017 Labour or LD voters are likely to vote for a Boris led Tory Party while only 15% of current Tory voters are unlikely to vote for a Boris led Tory Party.

With Hunt 14% of 2017 Labour or LD voters are likely to vote for a Hunt led Tories and only 11% of current Tory voters are unlikely to vote for a Hunt led Tories
    I htting right.
    Have you not heard of positive optimistic maths? Or alternative maths? The ERG and HYUFD have their own counting system and anyone else is peddling more fake maths.
    Bistromatics, isn't it?

"Bistromathics itself is simply a revolutionary new way of understanding the behaviour of numbers. Just as Albert Einstein's general relativity theory observed that space was not an absolute but depended on the observer's movement in space, and that time was not an absolute, but depended on the observer's movement in time, so it is now realized that numbers are not absolute, but depend on the observer's movement in restaurants." [HHGTTG - D Adams.]
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551

#HasToBeHunt

Says the Theresa May cheerleader.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Dadge said:

dixiedean said:

I honestly thought it looked like a LD gain anyway, if a narrow one.
    Lib Dem 50-55% with or without the pact.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    Dadge said:

AndyJS said:

Dadge said:

True. I'm just speculating how the Mori poll *might* be correct. Other polls have Farage on 20%+ but it has been thought that polls are overstating BxP support.
    The moving average has Tories on 22.3% , Lab on 24.5%, LD on 18.6% and Brex on 21.1%.

It gives:

Con 151
    Lab 246
    LD 65
    Brex 115
    SNP 51
    PC 3
    Grn 1
    NI 18
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

#HasToBeHunt

I seem to remember TSE was anything but a TMay cheerleader.
  • Options

#HasToBeHunt

You really are dense.

I'm the one who christened Theresa May the pound shop Gordon Brown when the likes of Mortimer and other Leavers were declaring Theresa May the reincarnation of Thatcher and Boudica.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what makes you so convinced that No Deal ineluctably leads to economic apocalypse?

Not economic apocalypse (except in Northern Ireland), but the media full every day for a long period of farmers going bust, fishing fleets being mothballed, car manufacturers laying off staff or withdrawing from the UK altogether, supplies being held up at ports, produce rotting, the pound collapsing, lorries held up on the approach to Dover, British ex-pats being left without medical cover, etc etc etc.

What this will all mean in macro-economic terms is very hard indeed to say. I don't really think traditional economic models are any use at all here - no advanced Western economy has ever imposed wide-ranging economic sanctions on itself before - but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say the pound will head down to the range $1 to $1.10 and the overall hit to UK GDP will be comparable to the 2008/9 crisis, and the unemployment effect much worse than 2008/9.
    I think that once we swallow whole the EU's no deal preparations document (which of course we will have to) then immediately much will continue as is. That said, over the subsequent several months, as the tariff regime is established and changes occur (for example in our farming and livestock sectors) then changes will become apparent.

As to the more tangible effects I see GBPUSD at around 1.10-1.15 and yes, a sizeable hit to GDP of the scale of the GFC. I don't see a wake up "gotcha" moment however (currency aside) and the vast majority of the UK will be largely unaware personally of the diminution of their wealth vs any alternative scenario (a deal, for example).

Hence the Leavers will be doing a lot of I told you so-ing. Even as they, we, all become poorer than we otherwise might have been.
    Remain leaders, once again, have been way overplaying their hand in other words. Either because they're being deliberately mendacious, or because they're stupid enough to believe their own publicity.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    edited June 2019
    Dadge said:

In the small print Mori makes the point that they don’t prompt for BXP, and whilst they are currently reviewing this they kept the previous format for comparability with the previous poll. Expecting the former Tories to volunteer support for BXP when they are out of the news probably means that the BXP poll is somewhat understated and the Tories somewhat overstated, which is certainly how it appears compared to other recent findings.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Is Boris a Poundland Trump?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    edited June 2019
    Roger said:

Predictably poor figures for Corbyn. The country just don't want a 70's tribute act. Certainly those who were alive first time round dont. I just hope he reads the polls and gets the message. Thornberry is the perfect mixture of Nurse Ratched and Nicola Sturgeon. That should cover all bases

Those figures are a fairly shocking indictment of him, aren't they? I mean, you can imagine somebody being less fit to be PM than Jeremy Hunt, even though it requires some work.

But being less fit than Boris Johnson by an 18 point margin?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    Roger said:

I reckon it’s more due to their remaining on the fence, which has both hit the party’s credibility and undone Corbyn’s image as someone who sticks to his principles even if unpopular.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Roger said:

Corbyn as PM with a significant minority government with say 150 Lib Dems and Scot Nats would be ideal. It could also be a very popular government.

The UK without it's head half way up Trumps backside would certainly be popular and the only leader guaranteed to give no quarter to Trumps America is one led by Corbyn

No it wouldn't, a Corbyn minority government reliant on the LDs and SNP would be a weak government riven by division seeking to reverse the Brexit most British voters voted for and facing a strong Boris led Tory opposition which would likely have won a majority of seats in England
  • Options

No.

He's not worth a pound.
  • Options

I'm toying between calling Boris or Nigel Farage a Poundland Roderick Spode.
  • Options

JackW said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

Most polls still have the Tories winning at least 3 seats in Scotland, Labour at least 1 and the LDs even gaining seats to reach 5 so the SNP are unlikely to reach 59 or even the 56 they got in 2016 even if they recover some of the losses from 2017
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Are the BBC trying to send a 'subtle' message with the picture at the top of this link?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48790803

A gun to Corbyn's head seems rather North Korean...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what makes you so convinced that No Deal ineluctably leads to economic apocalypse?

Not economic apocalypse (except in Northern Ireland), but the media full every day for a long period of farmers going bust, fishing fleets being mothballed, car manufacturers laying off staff or withdrawing from the UK altogether, supplies being held up at ports, produce rotting, the pound collapsing, lorries held up on the approach to Dover, British ex-pats being left without medical cover, etc etc etc.

What this will all mean in macro-economic terms is very hard indeed to say. I don't really think traditional economic models are any use at all here - no advanced Western economy has ever imposed wide-ranging economic sanctions on itself before - but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say the pound will head down to the range $1 to $1.10 and the overall hit to UK GDP will be comparable to the 2008/9 crisis, and the unemployment effect much worse than 2008/9.
    I think that once we swallow whole the EU's no deal preparations document (which of course we will have to) then immediately much will continue as is. That said, over the subsequent several months, as the tariff regime is established and changes occur (for example in our farming and livestock sectors) then changes will become apparent.

As to the more tangible effects I see GBPUSD at around 1.10-1.15 and yes, a sizeable hit to GDP of the scale of the GFC. I don't see a wake up "gotcha" moment however (currency aside) and the vast majority of the UK will be largely unaware personally of the diminution of their wealth vs any alternative scenario (a deal, for example).

Hence the Leavers will be doing a lot of I told you so-ing. Even as they, we, all become poorer than we otherwise might have been.
    Remain leaders, once again, have been way overplaying their hand in other words. Either because they're being deliberately mendacious, or because they're stupid enough to believe their own publicity.
    But Project Fear worked so well the last time. Why wouldn’t they try it again? Get the soon to be departed Chancellor to veto any preparation spending for good measure. Achieve the worst possible Brexit (no deal with a pissed off EU) and then say, “see, we told you”.
  • Options

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

I think the next election will see Boris deliver the biggest Tory majority since Thatcher in 1987 and you will still be whinging having voted LD!
  • Options

#HasToBeHunt

Have a look at the last leadership election threads.
  • Options

#HasToBeHunt

TBF, the alternatives included Liam Fox, Michael Gove and Andrea Leadsom.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

#HasToBeHunt

Has TSE ever rated May?
  • Options

#HasToBeHunt

Even Leavers agree with me on Andrea Leadsom, have you seen the way she sank in this leadership contest?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

I think the next election will see Boris deliver the biggest Tory majority since Thatcher in 1987 and you will still be whinging having voted LD!
    Would you like to bet on that?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Just read it

I have to expose this complete abuse of maths, even knowing that MikeL has allready called it out.

One recent poll has the LDs on 18% (and that is after don't knows have been excluded).
    12% of 18% is 2.88%

12% of LD voters is nowhere near 12% of voters!

This is something a GCSE maths pupil should be getting right.
    17% of 2017 Labour voters who would vote for Boris though is 7% of the electorate
  • Options
    RobD said:

#HasToBeHunt

Has TSE ever rated May?
    I was more anti Leadsom.

Our man from Russia didn't like that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

Good luck with that as it’s pb.com maybe you should put some money behind that slightly hyperbolic suggestion. You’ll either clean up or be looking for somewhere to avoid the bailiffs
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

HYUFD, please let Phillip Hammond know the name of your supplier.

If he can sell twelve ounces of whatever you're on in the Far East, he could clear the national debt.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

Would you like to bet on that?
    Well you already likely owe me £1 when Boris wins the membership vote over Hunt, so if I do win that I may consider another one
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

But Project Fear worked so well the last time. Why wouldn’t they try it again? Get the soon to be departed Chancellor to veto any preparation spending for good measure. Achieve the worst possible Brexit (no deal with a pissed off EU) and then say, “see, we told you”.
    But it won't work, because as a respected remainer poster has just indicated, and as I floated the other month, there may just not be enough juice in 'crashing out without a deal' to actually have the impact that some remainers so quiveringly desire. Especially if we're actually pretty well prepared.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

#HasToBeHunt

The way Liam Fox has behaved since joining the government I fear I owe him an apology.

I've stopped calling him the disgraced national security risk, that title now belongs to Gavin Williamson.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

#HasToBeHunt

Because I'm scared to google this, and given your wonderful knowledge of history, which nearly rivals mine, is there a female equivalent of 'catamite'?

Is for a forthcoming thread.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

#HasToBeHunt

The way Liam Fox has behaved since joining the government I fear I owe him an apology.

I've stopped calling him the disgraced national security risk, that title now belongs to Gavin Williamson.
    Can we still call Mark Reckless a Traitorous Pig Dog?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

If he can sell twelve ounces of whatever you're on in the Far East, he could clear the national debt.
    According to YouGov if Boris delivers Brexit before October 31st the Tories would be on 34%, Labour on 22% and the LDs on 19% and the BP and Greens each on 9% and the SNP on 4%.

Electoral Calculus says that would give a Boris Tory majority of 118, with the Tories on 384 seats, Labour on 168, the LDs on 42 and the SNP on 34 and the BP on 0.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/06/21/delivering-brexit-will-do-more-boost-conservative-

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=34&LAB=22&LIB=19&Brexit=9&Green=9&UKIP=2&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

#HasToBeHunt

Can we still call Mark Reckless a Traitorous Pig Dog?
    Yes.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

RobD said:

#HasToBeHunt

Has TSE ever rated May?
    I was more anti Leadsom.

Our man from Russia didn't like that.
    No our man from Horsham didn't, because Leadsom was at least competent and a good media performer, and as many of us said at the time, Theresa May had little to show from her time in high office except a gift for dogged survival, a talent which she once again displayed as PM.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

It's called Nous.....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It’s wrong to say that it doesn’t matter. It may not be enough but better in the lead than 4th like they were in the Euros.
    I am not sure it matters whether the next MP is a brexit party loon or a tory ERG loon. The entryists have taken over and the Tory party is no longer a conservative party but a radical cultist and backward party. As with Labour it will take a while for those who have been Conservatives through thick and thin to get used to it and consider how to respond.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

#HasToBeHunt

Because I'm scared to google this, and given your wonderful knowledge of history, which nearly rivals mine, is there a female equivalent of 'catamite'?

I can't think of one. Doesn't mean there wasn't one. But bearing in mind that the age of female consent was until the late nineteenth century basically the onset of puberty, it probably wasn't a concept in the way that 'catamite' was.

Not mad keen to Google it myself either...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

#HasToBeHunt

I can't think of one. Doesn't mean there wasn't one. But bearing in mind that the age of female consent was until the late nineteenth century basically the onset of puberty, it probably wasn't a concept in the way that 'catamite' was.

Would I expect a knock on the door if I did, I’m an engineer so such things go over my head.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

Good luck with that as it’s pb.com maybe you should put some money behind that slightly hyperbolic suggestion. You’ll either clean up or be looking for somewhere to avoid the bailiffs
    I already have a bet with Alistair Meeks that Boris will win a majority if there is a general election this year
  • Options
    BTW Mr Eagles, did you ever use that stuff on popes I sent you? Can't remember seeing it but have been very busy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

Most polls still have the Tories winning at least 3 seats in Scotland, Labour at least 1 and the LDs even gaining seats to reach 5 so the SNP are unlikely to reach 59 or even the 56 they got in 2016 even if they recover some of the losses from 2017
    51 is my projection.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

#HasToBeHunt

Would I expect a knock on the door if I did, I’m an engineer so such things go over my head.
    Let's just say - it would be an awkward conversation for a teacher if they did.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

51 is my projection.
    351 I think you mean.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

BTW Mr Eagles, did you ever use that stuff on popes I sent you? Can't remember seeing it but have been very busy.

Not yet, it should get used in the next few months.

Sunday should have a thread that you will like a lot.

If anyone calls it clickbait they are getting exiled to ConHome.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

51 is my projection.
    351 I think you mean.
    Winning 351 seats out of 59 would be a remarkable democratic feat.

It would almost rival Saddam Hussein's epics.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

51 is my projection.
    351 I think you mean.
    51 SNP seats
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615

If Boris is Spode then Carrie has to be Madeline Bassett (Much Obliged Jeeves etc). Can't see it.

• Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

51 is my projection.
    That looks pretty accurate
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    nichomar said:

Well Boris Johnson's use of a catamite got him sacked.

Boris Johnson has spoken of his regret on concocting a quote about King Edward II and the monarch’s gay lover, when he was a junior reporter at the Times in the late 1980s.

In a BBC documentary broadcast on Monday, the London mayor was asked about having to leave the paper because of the incident.

He was sacked for falsifying a quotation from his godfather, Colin Lucas, later vice-chancellor of Oxford University.

The Guardian documents that as a 23-year-old Times trainee Mr Johnson wrote a May 1988 article about archaeologists’ discovery of Edward II’s 14th-century palace.

He quoted Colin Lucas, giving the colourful detail that the monarch “enjoyed a reign of dissolution with his catamite, Piers Gaveston” at the palace. Gaveston was indeed rumoured to have been the king’s lover – but was also beheaded in 1312, a dozen years before the palace was built.

Of the quote, Mr Johnson told filmmaker Michael Cockerell: “It was awful… I remember a deep, deep sense of shame and guilt… just not knowing how to sort it out… it was a bit of a bummer frankly.”

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/03/26/boris-johnson-i-was-wrong-to-make-up-a-quote-about-king-edward-ii-and-his-gay-lover-piers-gaveston/
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    Brian Coleman former London Assembly member and former Barnet councilllor has come out of hiding to give his views on Boris!
    http://thekingofblingisback.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited June 2019

it was a bit of a bummer frankly.”

ROFLMAO :joy:

Edit: also, as Gaveston was 28 when executed, I'm not sure 'catamite' is the right word.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

But it won't work, because as a respected remainer poster has just indicated, and as I floated the other month, there may just not be enough juice in 'crashing out without a deal' to actually have the impact that some remainers so quiveringly desire. Especially if we're actually pretty well prepared.

I think the effects will be very patchy.

If you export services, and are not overly reliant on EU staff, then you're barely see an impact. You may even benefit from a lower exchange rate.

If, on the other hand, you work in a sector where both EU tariffs and non-EU tariffs are high, then you will likely face a nasty hit. Similarly, if you're in an industry with a complex cross-border supply chains, it'll be quite miserable.

A lot also depends on how well the government responds to the crisis. Can they do a good job of tying up mutual agreements with individual EU states to remove double taxation and withholding taxes? Similarly, re professional qualifications and standards bodies.

And then there's the question of tariffs: removing them altogether lowers the short term impact on UK manufacturers, but leaves us in a weak negotiating position, and hammers our farmers. Leaving them at EU levels, but now covering 90% of our trading partners rather than 40%, hammers businesses in the UK that rely on international supply chains.

These are the things that should have been thought about ahead of time.

Instead, we shall attempt to "wing it", as Boris probably did in Oxford tutorials.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Dadge said:

AndyJS said:

Dadge said:

As usual taking an average of the polls is probably the best idea.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Boris Johnson has spoken of his regret on concocting a quote about King Edward II and the monarch’s gay lover, when he was a junior reporter at the Times in the late 1980s.

In a BBC documentary broadcast on Monday, the London mayor was asked about having to leave the paper because of the incident.

He was sacked for falsifying a quotation from his godfather, Colin Lucas, later vice-chancellor of Oxford University.

The Guardian documents that as a 23-year-old Times trainee Mr Johnson wrote a May 1988 article about archaeologists’ discovery of Edward II’s 14th-century palace.

He quoted Colin Lucas, giving the colourful detail that the monarch “enjoyed a reign of dissolution with his catamite, Piers Gaveston” at the palace. Gaveston was indeed rumoured to have been the king’s lover – but was also beheaded in 1312, a dozen years before the palace was built.

Of the quote, Mr Johnson told filmmaker Michael Cockerell: “It was awful… I remember a deep, deep sense of shame and guilt… just not knowing how to sort it out… it was a bit of a bummer frankly.”

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/03/26/boris-johnson-i-was-wrong-to-make-up-a-quote-about-king-edward-ii-and-his-gay-lover-piers-gaveston/
    I think I’ll stick to designing distillation columns and heat exchanges.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Never heard it called that before...
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

According to YouGov if Boris delivers Brexit before October 31st the Tories would be on 34%, Labour on 22% and the LDs on 19% and the BP and Greens each on 9% and the SNP on 4%.

Electoral Calculus says that would give a Boris Tory majority of 118, with the Tories on 384 seats, Labour on 168, the LDs on 42 and the SNP on 34 and the BP on 0.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/06/21/delivering-brexit-will-do-more-boost-conservative-

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=34&LAB=22&LIB=19&Brexit=9&Green=9&UKIP=2&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
    It seems an academic question for the moment.

I think the relevant question now is what would the Tories be on if Johnson became leader with an unequivocal commitment to deliver Brexit by 31st October,
    only to find that parliament prevented any Brexit by failing to support his government in votes on Brexit and in a subsequent vote of confidence, with rebel Conservative MPs previously having defied the whip and lost the right to stand as Conservative candidates in the GE as a consequence.

(Yes, I know there are various nuances in the process leading to a GE arising from the FTPA but I don't think they are sufficient to avoid a GE.)
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

This is what wiki says, probably fine to view at home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catamite
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

If Boris is Spode then Carrie has to be Madeline Bassett (Much Obliged Jeeves etc). Can't see it.

My name is Carrie
    I live on the second floor
    I live upstairs from you
    Yes I think you've seen me before

If you hear something late at night
    Some kind of trouble, some kind of fight
    Just don't ask me what it was

with apologies to Suzanne Vega
  • Options
  • Options

nichomar said:

A bit of a bummer?

titter...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JackW said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

They managed to get a lower share of the vote in Scotland in 2015 but scraped DCT by 600 votes.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

I think the relevant question now is what would the Tories be on if Johnson became leader with an unequivocal commitment to deliver Brexit by 31st October,
    only to find that parliament prevented any Brexit by failing to support his government in votes on Brexit and in a subsequent vote of confidence, with rebel Conservative MPs previously having defied the whip and lost the right to stand as Conservative candidates in the GE as a consequence.

(Yes, I know there are various nuances in the process leading to a GE arising from the FTPA but I don't think they are sufficient to avoid a GE.)
    Then Boris likely wins a majority before October to deliver the Brexit the majority of voters voted for and the current Commons has blocked
  • Options
    Boris wants a Free Trade Deal for GB with the EU and trade deals with the rest of the world for GB too
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Er ...... http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/09/03/the-dangers-of-polite-demagogues/

You chose the photo.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

Then Boris likely wins a majority before October to deliver the Brexit the majority of voters voted for and the current Commons has blocked
    Do you think you could actually try cracking a joke or posting something that isn’t based on a poll once in a while, it would all give us a bit of light relief.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris wants a Free Trade Deal for GB with the EU and trade deals with the rest of the world for GB too
    Boris doesn't give two hoots about the Union then. So much for Conservative & Unionist.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Out of interest what will a Johnson government's key negotiating objectives be from a FTA with the EU, and what will they be prepared to offer the EU in return?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Er ...... http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/09/03/the-dangers-of-polite-demagogues/

You chose the photo.
    Confession time.

Choosing the picture/video for a thread header is the greatest pleasure from editing PB.

Heck it is one of the top ten pleasures in my life.

I never expected it to be that fun.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

You chose the photo.
    Good to have some light relief!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I'd love a date with Margot Robbie.

Unfortunately, that's about as likely.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    alex. said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Out of interest what will a Johnson government's key negotiating objectives be from a FTA with the EU, and what will they be prepared to offer the EU in return?

Nothing - because unicorns...
  • Options
    eek said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Unicorns give him the horn.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    eek said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Let the man speak!!!
  • Options

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1144270426761285632

Good luck Labour. You have a complete albatross as leader. Poison on the doorsteps.

But he has his integrity and he won last time.

So it's all ok.

To be fair to Corbyn he has 4% more satisfied with him than Foot, 1% more satisfied with him than was the case with IDS and Hague had only 2% more satisfied with him than Corbyn, even if Corbyn has more dissatisfied with him than Foot, IDS and Hague and Ed Miliband
    Interestingly I think only IDS and Corbyn had equal or less frontbench experience to Bozo when they assumed the role
    Boris was Foreign Secretary and Mayor of London for 8 years, a bigger executive position than running some countries
    Don't be ridiculous Mayor of London is a vanity position. Well suited to Boris Johnson. How long was he Foreign Sec for again? What is he most remembered for?
    Mayor of London isn't a vanity position. Boris did a decent job. Khan is doing ok, but he isn't making it look easy.
    Did he? Are you able to point to any of his achievements? Please I would love to know. I keep asking HYUFD but he just keeps parroting optimistic predictions about what Boris will do when he is PM.

It is like someone being recommended for a job, but their only recommendation is that they are very good at winning interviews, and no one can point to anything of substance. I accept that it is highly unlikely I will vote for him (generally put off by liars) but I am one of those rare people that has a vote. It is either Hunt or abstention as choices for me at the moment. As a long term Conservative Party member I would love to be persuaded that Boris is not as hopeless as I think.
    The proof that it's a non job is his claiming credit for the Olympics which had no imput from him. It can be a proper job. Ken's congestion charge was an excellent idea and well executed but apart from that his powers were limited
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Cyclefree said:

You chose the photo.
    Confession time.

Choosing the picture/video for a thread header is the greatest pleasure from editing PB.

Heck it is one of the top ten pleasures in my life.

I never expected it to be that fun.
    I am in Manchester next month. I think you need a drink with me if you really want fun in your life!
This discussion has been closed.