Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The most accurate pollster at the Euros has Hunt rated better

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Has the Conservative Party become a death cult?

https://t.co/MfmnqgQilz

Yes, the party is obsessed with death. Could people tone down the hyperbole, I wonder?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Mr. Pete, to be fair, stranger things have happened. And are happening.

Boris Johnson as our esteemed leader is about as strange as things get...surely?
    I hope you're right, with JC waiting in the wings
    Much as I detest Corbs, Johnson's sense of entitlement is somehow even worse. Johnson falling at tbe final hurdle, even if that meant a Corbyn government and all my children's inheritance spent on creating a Palestinian homeland in my back garden, would be worth it.
    I obviously value my back garden more than you do yours.
    To witness Johnson's absolute and complete humiliation it seems like excellent value.
    I am also obviously more caring about my family's (and quite possibly, everyone else's) financial well being.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,163
    This is a convincing academic paper on the impact of welfare cuts on support for Brexit, arguing that cuts to welfare after 2010 reduced incomes for the lower-skilled and contributed to rising political frustration and support for UKIP. As academic papers go this is a very convincing one - the empirical work is meticulous and the effects the author finds are big enough to have swung the vote. Bottom line: Osborne needs to stop bit lching about Brexit - he caused it.

wrap.warwick.ac.uk/106313/1/WRAP-twerp-1170-Fetzer.pdf
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't think these figures add up really - Tories only on 26% with Brexit Pty on 12%?

I don't follow that.

Surely the closer the Tories get to adopting No Deal as their policy, the closer the Tory figure plus the Brexit Party figure should be to the percentage supporting No Deal?

Per yesterday's poll, that's 28%, not 38%. Which would suggest the Tories have further to fall, if anything.
    Boris supports Brexit Deal or No Deal on October 31st and voted for the Withdrawal Agreement at MV3.

Farage and the Brexit Party reject the Withdrawal Agreement outright and want to go straight to No Deal WTO terms so that does not follow
    The problem is that no one in the world except you believes there is going to be time for us to leave the EU with a deal by 31 October. Not even Boris Johnson.
    He does.

Boris wins a majority by October 31st, then can pass the Withdrawal Agreement by October 31st too with the temporary Customs Union for GB May asked Barnier to impose removed.

No longer reliant on the DUP having won a Tory majority he could also hold a confirmatory referendum in NI on the backstop
    So Boris is going to keep us in the customs union? Anyone told Mark Francois et al?
    Nope, Boris takes GB out of the Customs Union, he lets NI voters decide if they want to keep it in NI until a technical solution is found to the Irish border
    And when the EU state its not an option (remember the backstop arrived only when it become obvious the issues the Good Friday agreement created).
    The EU have said that is an option, Barnier offered May a FTA for GB ages ago but with the backstop for NI until a technical solution is found to the Irish border.

Do keep up
    It is you who needs to keep up. The reason this was rejected by the British was because it involved treating NI differently to the rest of Britain a bit of a no-no as far as Unionists are concerned.
    I'm not sure that Unionism still exists to any great extent in the UK outside the chattering classes and half of NI.
    At first glance, I read that as Unicornism. That certsinly still exists in the UK!
    Does unicornism deserve a capital in your world. A pointer methinks.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    RobD said:

Yes, the party is obsessed with death. Could people tone down the hyperbole, I wonder?
    No.

Brexit delenda est.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,323
    Omnium said:

Mr. Pete, to be fair, stranger things have happened. And are happening.

Boris Johnson as our esteemed leader is about as strange as things get...surely?
    I hope you're right, with JC waiting in the wings
    Much as I detest Corbs, Johnson's sense of entitlement is somehow even worse. Johnson falling at tbe final hurdle, even if that meant a Corbyn government and all my children's inheritance spent on creating a Palestinian homeland in my back garden, would be worth it.
    Churchill had that same 'sense of entitlement'. There's a degree to which I don't like that, but on the other hand if you're so sure you're the man for the job, then that's interesting.

I suspect you can engender happiness, culture, and warmth in your back garden which tells you that your culture isn't tied to and land.
    It is quite remarkable that Johnson has cultivated this notion that he is the next Churchill. Churchill had a serious side and was prone to bouts of depression leading to self-doubt. I would be surprised if Johnson has ever questioned his manifold failings. Johnson is no Churchill!
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    rcs1000 said:

12% for BXP is potentially very interesting.

The scary bit about that poll - from a Conservative perspective - is that:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

A little bit of tactical voting, and things could look very ugly indeed for the Conservatives
    It's a worry. The path to a convincing Boris GE victory relies on hoovering up BXP votes, and Lab + LD not being transfer-friendly.

Not impossible, but hardly nailed on.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    edited June 2019
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

According to Ipsos-Mori only 17% very likely to vote Conservative if Hunt were leader and only 19% if Boris were leader so poor compared to the 26% among those certain to vote (9/10) Conservative at present.

Only 6% of other party voters would switch if Boris became Party leader and just 3% if Hunt became leader so again no great groundswell of support there.

Ipsos Mori actually had 36% likely to vote Tory under Boris and 32% likely to vote Tory under Hunt so both significantly higher than the 26% currently voting Tory.

21% of current non Tory voters are likely to vote Tory under Boris and 14% under Hunt

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/little-choose-between-hunt-and-johnson-terms-public-opinion
    MORI’s own summary of its poll finding: ”There is little evidence that either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt would make much difference to how likely people would be to consider voting Conservative.”

Believe the official report - not the Comical HYali spin!
    Just read it

Ipsos Mori has 17% of 2017 Labour voters likely to vote Tory if Boris is Tory leader and 12% likely to vote Tory if Hunt is Tory leader (p36 and 38 of the tables)

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/little-choose-between-hunt-and-johnson-terms-public-opinion
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

Richard Navabi has said he will vote LD if Boris is leader

Bit shallow to vote on personality not policy isn't it ?

But one wonders if personality is a big issue why he voted for Mrs May.
    Not really. If you believe someone to be unfit to be PM - a position which, as Mrs May has shown, allows a great deal of scope for exercising personal power even when opposed by almost everyone else in Parliament - then the personality of the potential incumbent becomes a matter of great importance.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what makes you so convinced that No Deal ineluctably leads to economic apocalypse?

Not economic apocalypse (except in Northern Ireland), but the media full every day for a long period of farmers going bust, fishing fleets being mothballed, car manufacturers laying off staff or withdrawing from the UK altogether, supplies being held up at ports, produce rotting, the pound collapsing, lorries held up on the approach to Dover, British ex-pats being left without medical cover, etc etc etc.

What this will all mean in macro-economic terms is very hard indeed to say. I don't really think traditional economic models are any use at all here - no advanced Western economy has ever imposed wide-ranging economic sanctions on itself before - but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say the pound will head down to the range $1 to $1.10 and the overall hit to UK GDP will be comparable to the 2008/9 crisis, and the unemployment effect much worse than 2008/9.
    I am less pessimistic, but I still think it would have fairly negative effects. The real risk for the UK is that a negative cycle kicks off where an external shock - No Deal Brexit - kicks off an excessively rapid rebalancing of the UK economy, and the household savings rate swings from below equilibrium to above.

In other words, I worry about the UK economy becoming Spain 2010-2013.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't think these figures add up really - Tories only on 26% with Brexit Pty on 12%?

I don't follow that.

Surely the closer the Tories get to adopting No Deal as their policy, the closer the Tory figure plus the Brexit Party figure should be to the percentage supporting No Deal?

Per yesterday's poll, that's 28%, not 38%. Which would suggest the Tories have further to fall, if anything.
    Boris supports Brexit Deal or No Deal on October 31st and voted for the Withdrawal Agreement at MV3.

Farage and the Brexit Party reject the Withdrawal Agreement outright and want to go straight to No Deal WTO terms so that does not follow
    The problem is that no one in the world except you believes there is going to be time for us to leave the EU with a deal by 31 October. Not even Boris Johnson.
    He does.

Boris wins a majority by October 31st, then can pass the Withdrawal Agreement by October 31st too with the temporary Customs Union for GB May asked Barnier to impose removed.

No longer reliant on the DUP having won a Tory majority he could also hold a confirmatory referendum in NI on the backstop
    So Boris is going to keep us in the customs union? Anyone told Mark Francois et al?
    Nope, Boris takes GB out of the Customs Union, he lets NI voters decide if they want to keep it in NI until a technical solution is found to the Irish border
    And when the EU state its not an option (remember the backstop arrived only when it become obvious the issues the Good Friday agreement created).
    The EU have said that is an option, Barnier offered May a FTA for GB ages ago but with the backstop for NI until a technical solution is found to the Irish border.

Do keep up
    It is you who needs to keep up. The reason this was rejected by the British was because it involved treating NI differently to the rest of Britain a bit of a no-no as far as Unionists are concerned.
    I'm not sure that Unionism still exists to any great extent in the UK outside the chattering classes and half of NI.
    At first glance, I read that as Unicornism. That certsinly still exists in the UK!
    Does unicornism deserve a capital in your world. A pointer methinks.
    I think so, in much thr same way Unionism does.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    algarkirk said:

Off topic but of philosophical interest. A punter has lost the thick end of 200 grand by getting the name of the horse wrong on the betting slip. The Guardian isn't taking sides, but should they have paid out anyway?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/27/mistake-betting-slip-punter-lost-200k-bookie

Absolutely not. He wrote the wrong name and didn't verify it. Of course it sucks for him, but the bookie has done nothing wrong here, it's entirely his own cock up. And the sum of money doesn't really change that.
    Bit less here than meets the eye. It wasn't a spelling mistake, it was a real horse really running in another race. It looks a bit like post event rationalisation to me. something all punters are a little prone to.

Except for the claim he did raise it before the race with the shop staff. Betting shop staff these days are not trained like they used to be -- and are often just warm bodies to empty the FOBTs and lock the door. The last time I asked for an ante-post bet on the Derby, the staff had no idea what I was talking about. In this case, the shop should have got on the phone to head office to agree a course of action. I'd say there should be an ex-gratia payment on these grounds, even though by the rules, the name of the horse takes precedence over the race time.

The larger problem is this is the way betting shops have always worked. They take the slip and the money, but only look at it when the result is known, and then decide whether they want to accept it or not, and on what terms. If the bet loses, they don't look and keep the money. If it wins, well, maybe there is a get-out clause.

There is a similar issue in the Bet365 case (recently withdrawn so presumably settled out of court with an NDA) where a student won a million quid but the bet was not paid because she was fronting for someone else. The bet was accepted, until it won.

The Gambling Commission, and even Tom Watson's proposals, are too hung up on addiction and forget about consumer (punter) protection.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014

I notice HYUFD has not commented on the BXP's decline to just 12% in the Ipsos-MORI poll

Worth noting that Ipsos Mori make clear they do not prompt for BXP in that poll. I have no idea how much impact that has but I suspect it must have some.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

This is a convincing academic paper on the impact of welfare cuts on support for Brexit, arguing that cuts to welfare after 2010 reduced incomes for the lower-skilled and contributed to rising political frustration and support for UKIP. As academic papers go this is a very convincing one - the empirical work is meticulous and the effects the author finds are big enough to have swung the vote. Bottom line: Osborne needs to stop bit lching about Brexit - he caused it.

wrap.warwick.ac.uk/106313/1/WRAP-twerp-1170-Fetzer.pdf

I'd say 'very unconvincing' - a brief glance suggests a time term which makes no sense. What do you think the constraints are on the UKIP vote? This paper has it as well beyond the 0%-100% window you might imagine.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

According to Ipsos-Mori only 17% very likely to vote Conservative if Hunt were leader and only 19% if Boris were leader so poor compared to the 26% among those certain to vote (9/10) Conservative at present.

Only 6% of other party voters would switch if Boris became Party leader and just 3% if Hunt became leader so again no great groundswell of support there.

Ipsos Mori actually had 36% likely to vote Tory under Boris and 32% likely to vote Tory under Hunt so both significantly higher than the 26% currently voting Tory.

21% of current non Tory voters are likely to vote Tory under Boris and 14% under Hunt

MORI’s own summary of its poll finding: ”There is little evidence that either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt would make much difference to how likely people would be to consider voting Conservative.”

Just read it

Ipsos Mori has 17% of 2017 Labour voters likely to vote Tory if Boris is Tory leader and 12% likely to vote Tory if Hunt is Tory leader (p36 and 38 of the tables)

Ipsos Mori also has 12% of 2017 LD voters likely to vote Tory if Boris or Hunt are Tory leader.

So in total 29% of 2017 Labour or LD voters are likely to vote for a Boris led Tory Party while only 15% of current Tory voters are unlikely to vote for a Boris led Tory Party.

With Hunt 14% of 2017 Labour or LD voters are likely to vote for a Hunt led Tories and only 11% of current Tory voters are unlikely to vote for a Hunt led Tories
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    HYUFD said:

Just been searching on twitter for Northern Ireland backstop referendum tweets. There are a few. None of them before Portillo suggested it two weeks ago. None of them by Boris advisors. Most of them (at least 30) by HYUFD.

As I posted before and RCS will attest it was posted on this site a week ago but clearly you are too lazy to go back through old threads to find it, that is up to you.

Boris made clear yesterday No Deal was a million to one shot as he knows a FTA for GB is what he will do
    https://twitter.com/tgeducation/status/1140359775181574144
    "Tony Gallagher

@tgeducation
    Follow Follow @tgeducation
    More
    Speculation that Boris Johnston might offer to ditch the UK backstop, but retain the NI backstop, to cut a deal with the EU. The DUP would go apoplectic, but he might offer a NI referendum on this to outflank them. Odd times."

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2364795/#Comment_2364795

HYUFD said "Genius move if true.

Enables a FTA for GB and gets the ERG on board and removes the temporary CU for GB true but ensures NI voters likely back the backstop so the DUP can't blame him and the way is clear for the WA to get through even on the current Commons or with a Tory majority after a snap general election"

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2364802/#Comment_2364802

RCS1000 said "Wow.

Someone from Boris's team must have been reading this board, because right back at the beginning of this process, I suggested a referendum in Northern Ireland.

There are only two problems with this excellent idea (of mine):

1. The DUP
    2. The ERG "

All of this after Portillo posited the idea. And no Boris staff involved anywhere.

I can understand why you didn't actually want anyone to bother finding this.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

algarkirk said:

Off topic but of philosophical interest. A punter has lost the thick end of 200 grand by getting the name of the horse wrong on the betting slip. The Guardian isn't taking sides, but should they have paid out anyway?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/27/mistake-betting-slip-punter-lost-200k-bookie

Absolutely not. He wrote the wrong name and didn't verify it. Of course it sucks for him, but the bookie has done nothing wrong here, it's entirely his own cock up. And the sum of money doesn't really change that.
    Bit less here than meets the eye. It wasn't a spelling mistake, it was a real horse really running in another race. It looks a bit like post event rationalisation to me. something all punters are a little prone to.

Except for the claim he did raise it before the race with the shop staff. Betting shop staff these days are not trained like they used to be -- and are often just warm bodies to empty the FOBTs and lock the door. The last time I asked for an ante-post bet on the Derby, the staff had no idea what I was talking about. In this case, the shop should have got on the phone to head office to agree a course of action. I'd say there should be an ex-gratia payment on these grounds, even though by the rules, the name of the horse takes precedence over the race time.

The larger problem is this is the way betting shops have always worked. They take the slip and the money, but only look at it when the result is known, and then decide whether they want to accept it or not, and on what terms. If the bet loses, they don't look and keep the money. If it wins, well, maybe there is a get-out clause.

There is a similar issue in the Bet365 case (recently withdrawn so presumably settled out of court with an NDA) where a student won a million quid but the bet was not paid because she was fronting for someone else. The bet was accepted, until it won.

The Gambling Commission, and even Tom Watson's proposals, are too hung up on addiction and forget about consumer (punter) protection.
    It's tricky. He either wrote the wrong horse at the right time or the right horse at the wrong time. He says the former but that effectively gives him a free option on two races. BetFred really had no alternative but to do as they did otherwise everyone would be trying it on.

I'm sure it was a genuine mistake but bf can't afford to treat it like that, sadly for the guy, who still made twenty-odd grand out of it.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615

algarkirk said:

This is all interesting, and of course a bit unverifiable. I can't help asking what the story would be if the horse he had named had happened to win and the other had lost - how keen would he be to assert that the horse was a mistake and, sorry, actually I lost..............

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited June 2019

I think the Tories should hereafter be known as the Conservative and Unicornist Party. Much closer to the reality than their current name.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615

HYUFD said:

Just been searching on twitter for Northern Ireland backstop referendum tweets. There are a few. None of them before Portillo suggested it two weeks ago. None of them by Boris advisors. Most of them (at least 30) by HYUFD.

As I posted before and RCS will attest it was posted on this site a week ago but clearly you are too lazy to go back through old threads to find it, that is up to you.

Boris made clear yesterday No Deal was a million to one shot as he knows a FTA for GB is what he will do
    "Tony Gallagher

@tgeducation
    More
    Speculation that Boris Johnston might offer to ditch the UK backstop, but retain the NI backstop, to cut a deal with the EU. The DUP would go apoplectic, but he might offer a NI referendum on this to outflank them. Odd times."

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2364795/#Comment_2364795

Enables a FTA for GB and gets the ERG on board and removes the temporary CU for GB true but ensures NI voters likely back the backstop so the DUP can't blame him and the way is clear for the WA to get through even on the current Commons or with a Tory majority after a snap general election"

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2364802/#Comment_2364802

RCS1000 said "Wow.

Someone from Boris's team must have been reading this board, because right back at the beginning of this process, I suggested a referendum in Northern Ireland.

1. The DUP
    2. The ERG "

All of this after Portillo posited the idea. And no Boris staff involved anywhere.

The DUP will support no actual plan. They plan to remain.

• Options

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what makes you so convinced that No Deal ineluctably leads to economic apocalypse?

Not economic apocalypse (except in Northern Ireland), but the media full every day for a long period of farmers going bust, fishing fleets being mothballed, car manufacturers laying off staff or withdrawing from the UK altogether, supplies being held up at ports, produce rotting, the pound collapsing, lorries held up on the approach to Dover, British ex-pats being left without medical cover, etc etc etc.

What this will all mean in macro-economic terms is very hard indeed to say. I don't really think traditional economic models are any use at all here - no advanced Western economy has ever imposed wide-ranging economic sanctions on itself before - but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say the pound will head down to the range $1 to $1.10 and the overall hit to UK GDP will be comparable to the 2008/9 crisis, and the unemployment effect much worse than 2008/9.
    The difference with 2008/9 is we are going in having largely fixed the roof.
    I'm afraid that that is naive.

In 2008/9, the UK was still a creditor to the world. We're now a substantial debtor. We've gone from them owing us money, to us owing them.

Our household savings rate is in a worse position now than then.

And our current account, despite heading in a positive direction in 2017 has recently worsened badly again.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

"Tony Gallagher

@tgeducation
    More

RCS1000 said "Wow.

1. The DUP
    2. The ERG "

Boris said No Deal was a million to one chance yesterday as that is precisely what he is going to do
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

No, try looking at the official data and form your own conclusions independently. The data says that 32% would consider voting Con with Hunt as leader, while 62% would not. The same figures for Johnson are 36% would and 59% would not.

So net -30% for Hunt and -23% for Johnson.

Does a net 7% gap amount to "much difference"? Discuss.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"Tony Gallagher

@tgeducation
    More

RCS1000 said "Wow.

1. The DUP
    2. The ERG "

Boris said No Deal was a million to one chance yesterday as that is precisely what he is going to do
    And he will hold said referendum before October 31st as how (otherwise) do we leave on that date?
  • Options
    edited June 2019

I think the Tories should hereafter be known as the Conservative and Unicornist Party. Much closer to the reality than their current name.
    How did I manage to write that without writing it? However, I wish I had! Ahh- now correctly attributed to anothernick and not me. Thanks
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

He does.

Point of Order: even if he were to pass Meaningful Vote 4 by October 31, we would still require an extension. Simply, there's probably 3-4 weeks minimum to get all the ducks in a line (EU Parliament approval, etc.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

He does.

Point of Order: even if he were to pass Meaningful Vote 4 by October 31, we would still require an extension. Simply, there's probably 3-4 weeks minimum to get all the ducks in a line (EU Parliament approval, etc.)
    What a time to be alive.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

He does.

Do keep up
    Nope. It was only rejected by the DUP who held the whip hand over the British Government.

Once Boris wins a majority the DUP can be ignored and the FTA for GB most British voters want and the backstop to avoid a hard border with the Republic of Ireland most Northern Irish voters want can be delivered
    I wish I was as sure of anything as you are so certain of everything, to quote a great man.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"Tony Gallagher

@tgeducation
    More

RCS1000 said "Wow.

1. The DUP
    2. The ERG "

And he will hold said referendum before October 31st as how (otherwise) do we leave on that date?
    With a Tory majority he passes the Withdrawal Agreement by October 31st with the temporary Customs Union for GB removed.

Whether he holds a a referendum in NI on the backstop after that is up to him, it would be a good will gesture to show the DUP he was not completely ignoring them but as the polls show it would pass anyway but a referendum would not be needed to pass the Withdrawal Agreement once the Tories have a majority and Boris can ignore the DUP
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,405
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

I am less pessimistic, but I still think it would have fairly negative effects. The real risk for the UK is that a negative cycle kicks off where an external shock - No Deal Brexit - kicks off an excessively rapid rebalancing of the UK economy, and the household savings rate swings from below equilibrium to above.

A No Deal Brexit will be happening this autumn just as the dials on the world economy are flashing red all over the place. Look at government bonds. Inversion. People are paying Portugal to store their money for several years!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Just read it

Ipsos Mori also has 12% of 2017 LD voters likely to vote Tory if Boris or Hunt are Tory leader.

So in total 29% of 2017 Labour or LD voters are likely to vote for a Boris led Tory Party while only 15% of current Tory voters are unlikely to vote for a Boris led Tory Party.

With Hunt 14% of 2017 Labour or LD voters are likely to vote for a Hunt led Tories and only 11% of current Tory voters are unlikely to vote for a Hunt led Tories
    What?????

17% of 2017 Lab voters + 12% of 2017 LD voters does not equal 29% of 2017 Lab or LD voters.

17% (A) + 12% (B) does not equal 29% (A+B)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,136
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"Tony Gallagher

@tgeducation
    More

RCS1000 said "Wow.

1. The DUP
    2. The ERG "

With a Tory majority he passes the Withdrawal Agreement by October 31st with the temporary Customs Union for GB removed.

Whether he holds a a referendum in NI on the backstop after that is up to him, it would be a good will gesture to show the DUP he was not completely ignoring them but as the polls show it would pass anyway but a referendum would not be needed to pass the Withdrawal Agreement once the Tories have a majority and Boris can ignore the DUP
    Good will? It would completely shaft the DUP by showing how out of touch with public opinion in Northern Ireland they are.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2019

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

No, try looking at the official data and form your own conclusions independently. The data says that 32% would consider voting Con with Hunt as leader, while 62% would not. The same figures for Johnson are 36% would and 59% would not.

So net -30% for Hunt and -23% for Johnson.

Does a net 7% gap amount to "much difference"? Discuss.
    Indeed and more 2017 Labour and LD voters are likely to vote for a Boris or Hunt led Tory Party than current Tory voters are unlikely to vote for a Boris or Hunt led Tory Party
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,012
    edited June 2019

algarkirk said:

When I worked for Ladbrokes we were told to check each bet for legibility, (is that a 1 or a 7? for example), enough information, legality, etc. before accepting it. The number of attempted bets on already announced non-runners was astonishing, and a total waste of everyone's time. Wasn't always possible at busy times, mind.
    And, in those days we did the settling ourselves in our heads. Not that difficult to have a quick look I would have thought.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited June 2019
    Wingnut in Chief - with this level of support from the party hierarchy and MPs, he's clearly the likely replacement to Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Corbyn: "We deal with antisemitism very, very seriously."

Where necessary, in extreme circumstances, we will organize some kind of disciplinary procedure which is staffed by people minded not to do anything, especially if the alleged offender is in a marginal seat or is a prominent supporter of the Leader.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

It's tricky. He either wrote the wrong horse at the right time or the right horse at the wrong time. He says the former but that effectively gives him a free option on two races. BetFred really had no alternative but to do as they did otherwise everyone would be trying it on.

I'm sure it was a genuine mistake but bf can't afford to treat it like that, sadly for the guy, who still made twenty-odd grand out of it.
    Indeed, and there are a lot of sharks who do try it on. Nonetheless, a bit of investment in staff -- or AI -- could have identified the ambiguity before it really mattered.

The problems are different on Betfair but the attitude is the same. Never mind that the market rules are ambiguous (say, as to when Theresa May resigns) as long as we get our cut.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001

algarkirk said:

Winning punters seem simply not to exist in parliament's mind
  • Options

Wingnut in Chief - with this level of support from the party hierarchy and MPs, he's clearly the likely replacement to Jeremy Corbyn.
    Sadly I fear you are correct.
  • Options
    The letter now has 70 names, Sky saying.
  • Options

Could Mr Williamson please turn the lights out when he leaves.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292

The letter now has 70 names, Sky saying.

90 according to BBC.
  • Options
    Maybe the 70 Lab members of staff should go on strike and set up a picket line?

Surely Corbyn would never cross a picket line?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1144270426761285632

Good luck Labour. You have a complete albatross as leader. Poison on the doorsteps.

But he has his integrity and he won last time.

So it's all ok.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I thought they were already on strike over pay.
  • Options

He's never leaving. That's the problem.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Did Keith Vaz have other things on his mind when he readmitted Voldemort ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Did Keith Vaz have other things on his mind when he readmitted Voldemort ?

Something involving a fridge?
  • Options

MikeL said:

I thought they were already on strike over pay.
    Oh yes - sorry - had forgotten that!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Just read it

What?????

17% of 2017 Lab voters + 12% of 2017 LD voters does not equal 29% of 2017 Lab or LD voters.

17% (A) + 12% (B) does not equal 29% (A+B)
    Even just lookig at 2017 Labour voters only more of them are likely to vote for a Boris or Hunt led Tories thsn current Tories are unlikely to vote for a Boris led Tory Party or a Hunt led Tories
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,093
    edited June 2019
    I think that @HYUFD has forgotten that the majority of Labour voters, even in northern ‘Leave’ seats voted Remain.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"Tony Gallagher

@tgeducation
    More

RCS1000 said "Wow.

1. The DUP
    2. The ERG "

Good will? It would completely shaft the DUP by showing how out of touch with public opinion in Northern Ireland they are.
    Which Boris will no doubt have noticed too
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Good luck Labour. You have a complete albatross as leader. Poison on the doorsteps.

So it's all ok.

Need Sunil's barchart showing how Labour won.
  • Options

He's never leaving. That's the problem.
    It could get very lonely for him. Although I suspect he is very used to entertaining himself.
  • Options

So it's all ok.

To paraphrase, the Conservative Party is the worst political party, except all those other political parties...
  • Options
    In other news, saw a fantastic numberplate when driving through Ponteland: ‘H8 GBP’. Clearly a fan of the Single Currency.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

He does.

Not if it passes by the beginning of October and even if it only passes by 31st October the British side will have voted for Brexit and to Withdraw from the EU
  • Options

twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1144270426761285632

So it's all ok.

OHHHHHH JEREMY CORBYN.....4 days of that song will start shortly in Somerset...
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618

If the Party won't deselect him, the electors of Derby North will have an opportunity to repeat their feat of 2015.
  • Options

I think that @HYUFD has forgotten that the majority of Labour voters, even in northern ‘Leave’ seats voted Remain.

More current Labour voters back Brexit than current Tory voters back Remain as Yougov showed yesterday
  • Options

So it's all ok.

It's a song which we all sing roughly once a day in a small room.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

More current Labour voters back Brexit than current Tory voters back Remain as Yougov showed yesterday
    Is that what it said?
  • Options
    edited June 2019

So it's all ok.

To be fair to Corbyn he has 4% more satisfied with him than Foot, 1% more satisfied with him than was the case with IDS and Hague had only 2% more satisfied with him than Corbyn, even if Corbyn has more dissatisfied with him than Foot, IDS and Hague and Ed Miliband
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

To be fair to Corbyn he has 4% more satisfied with him than Foot, 1% more satisfied with him than was the case with IDS and Hague had only 2% more satisfied with him than Corbyn, even if Corbyn has more dissatisfied with him than Foot, IDS and Hague and Ed Miliband
    All those people you mentioned went on to win landslides, right?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

Interestingly I think only IDS and Corbyn had equal or less frontbench experience to Bozo when they assumed the role
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    Just one local by-election today. It's in Mansfield where a Lab councillor has resigned following election as executive Mayor. Expect a close fight with the Mansfield Independent.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

A No Deal Brexit will be happening this autumn just as the dials on the world economy are flashing red all over the place. Look at government bonds. Inversion. People are paying Portugal to store their money for several years!
    PMIs look horrible. Bond yields look horrible. Not a particularly auspicious time to kick off No Deal Brexit.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

Interestingly I think only IDS and Corbyn had equal or less frontbench experience to Bozo when they assumed the role
    Didn't Cameron have less frontbench experience than Boris?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

PMIs look horrible. Bond yields look horrible. Not a particularly auspicious time to kick off No Deal Brexit.
    I'm pretty sure we are about to enter the worst period for the UK economy since the IMF were called.

Unless Boris and his Death Cult can be stopped.
  • Options

So it's all ok.

I think he has lost that particular demographic in last twelve months.

Can't think why.
  • Options

So it's all ok.

I think he has lost that particular demographic in last twelve months.

Can't think why.
    I thought the rich middled aged multiple home owning lefties still were onboard? The kids on the other hand cant afford Glastonbury these days.....
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

Boris was Foreign Secretary and Mayor of London for 8 years, a bigger executive position than running some countries
  • Options
    Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

All those people you mentioned went on to win landslides, right?
    Well half of them lost by landslides maybe
  • Options

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

That is probably true. Much as I liked him and voted for him as leader, I am not sure he will go down in history as best PM. He will look amazing when compared to Bozo though!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

Except it won't be No Deal, Boris will deliver the Brexit you voted for and you can admire from California the fantastic FTA for GB with the EU Boris moves towards after he wins an overall majority and the Withdrawal Agreement passes by October 31st
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

Boris was Foreign Secretary and Mayor of London for 8 years, a bigger executive position than running some countries
    Don't be ridiculous Mayor of London is a vanity position. Well suited to Boris Johnson. How long was he Foreign Sec for again? What is he most remembered for?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

Don't be ridiculous Mayor of London is a vanity position. Well suited to Boris Johnson. How long was he Foreign Sec for again? What is he most remembered for?
    Mayor of London isn't a vanity position. Boris did a decent job. Khan is doing ok, but he isn't making it look easy.
  • Options
    Hey HYUFD, I just found this footage of you in your last big PR job : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC5UTUAxgpE
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited June 2019
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

Mayor of London isn't a vanity position. Boris did a decent job. Khan is doing ok, but he isn't making it look easy.
    If it's a vanity position, who exactly do I blame for continually raising my tube fares?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

Did he? Are you able to point to any of his achievements? Please I would love to know. I keep asking HYUFD but he just keeps parroting optimistic predictions about what Boris will do when he is PM.

It is like someone being recommended for a job, but their only recommendation is that they are very good at winning interviews, and no one can point to anything of substance. I accept that it is highly unlikely I will vote for him (generally put off by liars) but I am one of those rare people that has a vote. It is either Hunt or abstention as choices for me at the moment. As a long term Conservative Party member I would love to be persuaded that Boris is not as hopeless as I think.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

If it's a vanity position, who exactly do I blame for continually raising my tube fares?
    Hmm, good question. The unions? You could blame the rest of the population who are less willing to subsidise your travel needs perhaps?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Just read it

I have to expose this complete abuse of maths, even knowing that MikeL has allready called it out.

One recent poll has the LDs on 18% (and that is after don't knows have been excluded).
    12% of 18% is 2.88%

12% of LD voters is nowhere near 12% of voters!

This is something a GCSE maths pupil should be getting right.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

That is probably true. Much as I liked him and voted for him as leader, I am not sure he will go down in history as best PM. He will look amazing when compared to Bozo though!
    Damned by faint praise.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Just read it

I have to expose this complete abuse of maths, even knowing that MikeL has allready called it out.

One recent poll has the LDs on 18% (and that is after don't knows have been excluded).
    12% of 18% is 2.88%

12% of LD voters is nowhere near 12% of voters!

This is something a GCSE maths pupil should be getting right.
    HYUFD is a cheerleader for a man that is economical with all truth. Mathematics is not immune
  • Options

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

Did he? Are you able to point to any of his achievements? Please I would love to know. I keep asking HYUFD but he just keeps parroting optimistic predictions about what Boris will do when he is PM.

It is like someone being recommended for a job, but their only recommendation is that they are very good at winning interviews, and no one can point to anything of substance. I accept that it is highly unlikely I will vote for him (generally put off by liars) but I am one of those rare people that has a vote. It is either Hunt or abstention as choices for me at the moment. As a long term Conservative Party member I would love to be persuaded that Boris is not as hopeless as I think.
    Achievements: London functioned well, and in small ways progressed.
    I'd not recommend Boris, but I may well vote for him.

• Options
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

Damned by faint praise.
    Indeed. A man of promise who turned out to be somewhat hopeless due to betting the country's economic future on the flip of a coin and it coming up tails instead of heads.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,921
    edited June 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

A little bit of tactical voting, and things could look very ugly indeed for the Conservatives
    Don't worry, I'm sure HUYFD will be along shortly to tell you why that's wrong . Sorry he already has!
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

Specifics please? We are in the realms of faint praise again here, and how do we know those small progressions were down to his leadership? You could claim the same of Red Ken, and no one is yet proposing Livingstone as PM. As members of the Conservative Party we are be asked (very undemocratically) to assess whether someone can take on one of the toughest jobs in the country, if not the world at a time of crisis.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

Don't worry, I'm sure HUYFD will be along shortly to tell you why that's wrong . Sorry he already has!
    The anti-Boris infidels will be repelled, and all this talk of him not having a majority in the house is propaganda! Lies!
  • Options
    Today's MORI gives an interesting result with Flavible:

Con 245, Lab 239, LD 90, SNP 51 (BRX 1)

Suddenly the battle for Con is with LD - with a whole host of incredibly tight Con / LD marginals.

LD win a swathe of seats from Central London, through South West London and into Surrey (including Raab) . Con just hold on in several Surrey seats (including Hunt) by 1% to 2%.

So if he manages to see off the Brexit Party, Boris is going to have to tack very quickly to shore up Con position vs LD - without letting BRX then rise again. A high wire act!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

I fear the next election will make 1997 look like a good night for the Tories.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So it's all ok.

By anybody with an interest in foreign affairs, Boris is remembered for achieving a united international response to the Salisbury chemical weapon attack.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Today's MORI gives an interesting result with Flavible:

Con 245, Lab 239, LD 90, SNP 51 (BRX 1)

Suddenly the battle for Con is with LD - with a whole host of incredibly tight Con / LD marginals.

LD win a swathe of seats from Central London, through South West London and into Surrey (including Raab) . Con just hold on in several Surrey seats (including Hunt) by 1% to 2%.

So if he manages to see off the Brexit Party, Boris is going to have to tack very quickly to shore up Con position vs LD - without letting BRX then rise again. A high wire act!

Whilst simultaneously having to cover up the fact that he doesn't know how to run a piss up in a brewery.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    12% for the Brexit party? That's seriously out of line with most other recent polls. That doesn't mean it's wrong but it does mean that it needs to be treated with care.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Specifics please? We are in the realms of faint praise again here, and how do we know those small progressions were down to his leadership? You could claim the same of Red Ken, and no one is yet proposing Livingstone as PM. As members of the Conservative Party we are be asked (very undemocratically) to assess whether someone can take on one of the toughest jobs in the country, if not the world at a time of crisis.
    I would claim the same of Red Ken.

Mayor of London is a big job - doing it well is something in itself. Ken, Boris, and (we'll see) Sadiq have all done it well.

For Boris all this says is that he has a degree of competence. I don't really go beyond that. (Progress? Cycling stuff, environmental stuff, etc - taxi-driver stuff)
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    RobD said:

As Sunil put it.

“I ask you: Do you want total Brexit? If necessary, do you want a Brexit more total and radical than anything that we can even yet imagine?”
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Interesting. Lib Dems looking even more worth a punt.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Con + BXP = 38
    Lab + LD + Grn = 56

I fear the next election will make 1997 look like a good night for the Tories.
    Couldn't get much worse in Scotland .... They got zero seats in 1997.
This discussion has been closed.