Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Gove moves into second place as the Tory MPs prepare to vote f

Comments

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    A rich tapestry of local by-elections today. There are 3 deferred from May - a Con defence in Salford, a double Con defence in South Ribble, and 3 seats in a new ward in Forest of Dean. There are 4 normal by-elections - Labour defences in Merton and Wandsworth, and an Ind sitting as Labour in Isle of Wight.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Are Change UK still around or have they changed name again , seems to be the only change they can make 😁
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited June 2019
    Makes me well up, think about them doing this. A Jewish primary school, Britain, 2019.
    https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1141692429604708352
  • Options
    Boris has to go to the country for the mandate he needs
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250
    TOPPING said:

Yes. They have all fallen in behind the out by Oct 31st line. I struggle to see how they will manage that unless they are called Boris. But struggle with it any of them will have to and, in my very very humble opinion, we will not be leaving on October 31st or indeed at any other time with no deal.

Vive la WA!!!

I've gone back to 1st principles in order to come out of the trees and take a look at the wood.

We are leaving the EU. Because we have to. June 2016.
    We are not leaving with No Deal. It would be insane. Boris is not insane.
    We are therefore leaving with a Deal.
    The only Deal, now or any time, is the Withdrawal Agreement.
    Therefore we will be ratifying it.

This is as certain as anything in life can be.

But WHEN?

My assessment:

2019 - 25%
    2020 - 50%
    Later - 25%
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

TOPPING said:

Andrew Neil is absolutely must watch. Mordaunt latest/current casualty.

"Your party has gone bonkers; it thinks Brexit is more important than the Union."

Brexit is more important than the union.
    Not to me it’s not.

By definition, it ceases to become Brexit if the Union is lost.
    I've just done a thought experiment. If it was a Sophie's choice between the UK and the EU, I'd vote for the UK. I like both unions but the one nearer home is more precious to me.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Meanwhile @HYUFD is insistent that Boris is going to shaft the DUP. Good politics that.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    edited June 2019
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Boris has continued to promise an October 31st deadline.

In any case Rutte joined Macron this morning in saying he would veto further extension beyond October unless something significantly different to the Withdrawal Agreement was proposed

Boris refused and continues to refuse to guarantee that he would leave by October 31st. Don't mistake what you would like his position to be with what his position is.

As every Leaver on here has said and said again (and I appreciate you did not vote Leave), the UK could, simply, leave the EU at any time. Trash the agreements, or not enter into them, or...or. Just leave. And actually, I have a great deal of sympathy with that. As @isam often says - we voted to leave three years ago and we haven't left. Put aside the damage it might do to the economy, etc, we have not left and it is wholly within our power as, ahem, a sovereign nation, to leave.

And Boris, as PM could therefore guarantee to leave. And he didn't. And them's the facts.
    If @HYUFD is referring to Rutte's interview on R4 this morning then that is not what he said. He said he would want to know why the extension was being sought and what difference what we were proposing to do was likely to make. That struck me as an entirely reasonable position.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

If I were Boris Johnson I'd worry about those spoiled ballot papers.

Greening, Lee, and Grieve?
    It's the fact that there are Conservative MPs so alienated from the process that they can't pick from the remaining four candidates. That does not bode well for party discipline.
    Anyone who feels that alienated that they can't vote for any of the FOUR candidates remaining (two leavers and two remainers FWIW) should resign the whip.
    Bye bye majority
    Hello election with all defections replaced as candidates.
    Hello Corbyn as PM...
    Hello Boris PM with overall majority as BP falls back and Corbyn loses votes to LDs
    If there is an election in the limited time available then Boris won't have had the opportunity to convince TBP that he really means it when he says he is going to leave by Oct 31st and Farage, Widdicombe, et al will be replaying his refusal to guarantee leaving by that date at every available opportunity.
    Boris has said Deal or No Deal by October, that wins most BP voters back bar No Deal hardliners.

Corbyn likely still leaks Remainers to LDs though even with his vague EUref2 promise
    They don't believe him. Farage will make a big play of not believing him. Do you oris?
    Boris slashes the Brexit Party back to 13% or less in the polls, all other remaining candidates keep the Brexit Party over 20% in the polls
    Maybe. But everyday he is becoming less clear about his October 31st deadline. I know you value polls, and in the absence of any other metric they can be useful. But was the poll you cite before or after his non-committal on guaranteeing leaving by October 31st. Was it before or after the ES endorsement?

In any case Rutte joined Macron this morning in saying he would veto further extension beyond October unless something significantly different to the Withdrawal Agreement was proposed
    Like free movement of people? Or a 2nd referendum?
    Fewer MPs voted for staying in the single market and EUref2 in the indicative votes than voted for the WA in MV3
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Would actually like to see Gove go through just so Boris could hammer him in the membership ballot. Then again, it would be great to see him eliminated today too.

Glad to see you so strongly supporting of a leader that supports same-sex marriage.
    Gay "marriage" isn't my key concern.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    kjohnw said:

but not now!
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Makes me well up, think about them doing this. A Jewish primary school, Britain, 2019.

Bloody hell. What sort of risk assessment was that the answer to?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited June 2019

Meanwhile @HYUFD is insistent that Boris is going to shaft the DUP. Good politics that.
    Boris can win a majority at a general election then ignore the DUP and deliver a FTA for GB and backstop for NI until a technical solution is found to the Irish border
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    slade said:

A rich tapestry of local by-elections today. There are 3 deferred from May - a Con defence in Salford, a double Con defence in South Ribble, and 3 seats in a new ward in Forest of Dean. There are 4 normal by-elections - Labour defences in Merton and Wandsworth, and an Ind sitting as Labour in Isle of Wight.

"Con defence in Salford"

Does not compute!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Yes. They have all fallen in behind the out by Oct 31st line. I struggle to see how they will manage that unless they are called Boris. But struggle with it any of them will have to and, in my very very humble opinion, we will not be leaving on October 31st or indeed at any other time with no deal.

Vive la WA!!!

I've gone back to 1st principles in order to come out of the trees and take a look at the wood.

But WHEN?

My assessment:

2019 - 25%
    2020 - 50%
    Later - 25%
    Yes but how does the government survive the next six months?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    DavidL said:

Anorak said:

The kind that results in Jewish nurseries having security guards. Awful.
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155
    Anyone betting on the fewest votes market. A bit of insider knowledge would make it a decent return.
    Anyone on here see either Hunt or Gove odds a value bet?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Incredible how enriched we are by diversity.

Thank you Tony!
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    DavidL said:

Anorak said:

The risk of David Baddiel arriving?

After no deal is better than a Baddiel.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Oh well, if it ends being a choice between Lying Johnson and the Cocaine Snorter I might just spoil a ballot for the first time in my life. Cock and balls graffiti here I come (if you excuse the expression)
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257

OllyT said:

Would actually like to see Gove go through just so Boris could hammer him in the membership ballot. Then again, it would be great to see him eliminated today too.

Glad to see you so strongly supporting of a leader that supports same-sex marriage.
    Also known as gay marriage in the world of civilized people
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488

slade said:

"Con defence in Salford"

Does not compute!
    There's a lot of Jewish voters in Kersal.

Labour lost it in 2017 after a massive Con to Lab swing.

Cannot imagine why Labour lost such a seat.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

but not now!
    He would win on a campaign of leaving deal or no deal by 31/10
  • Options

OllyT said:

No form of marriage is Boris's concern.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Incredible how enriched we are by diversity.

Thank you Tony!
    Pillock.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,331
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Boris refused and continues to refuse to guarantee that he would leave by October 31st. Don't mistake what you would like his position to be with what his position is.

As every Leaver on here has said and said again (and I appreciate you did not vote Leave), the UK could, simply, leave the EU at any time. Trash the agreements, or not enter into them, or...or. Just leave. And actually, I have a great deal of sympathy with that. As @isam often says - we voted to leave three years ago and we haven't left. Put aside the damage it might do to the economy, etc, we have not left and it is wholly within our power as, ahem, a sovereign nation, to leave.

And Boris, as PM could therefore guarantee to leave. And he didn't. And them's the facts.
    If @HYUFD is referring to Rutte's interview on R4 this morning then that is not what he said. He said he would want to know why the extension was being sought and what difference what we were proposing to do was likely to make. That struck me as an entirely reasonable position.
    I think the EU would be looking for any new leader for a breakthrough and if there was a glimmer of one they would extend. I don't think they want a no deal but I don't think they will reopen the WA in order to avoid one.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Taken a piece of Gove @25.

That's a fantastic bet. If, if, he can fend off the shenanigans this afternoon he stands a real chance. Why? Because he's stacks more competent than Boris. Scarily so, in truth.
    Obviously a trading bet, and I am still green on everyone left in the competition but if he makes the head to head Gove's price is basically the perce yage chance of Boris fucking up and that has surely got to be a lot higher than 4%.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

The risk of David Baddiel arriving?

After no deal is better than a Baddiel.
    Oh very good. But the story is quite shocking.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    eristdoof said:

TOPPING said:

"Your party has gone bonkers; it thinks Brexit is more important than the Union."

The you cannot call yourself a conservative. It's not called the "Conservative and Unionist Party" for nothing.
    I don't like either name. My political philosophy is neither conservatism nor unionism. However it is the party that closest matches my beliefs. By name I prefer the name of the Australian equivalent of the party, the Liberal Party.

My political philosophy is one of classical liberalism. Aka nowadays libertarianism. I believe in small state both economically and socially. Socially I am very liberal and not conservative so the name of the party in the UK has always say uncomfortably with me.

I could quite happily also be an Orange Book Liberal Democrat but could never support a party that might go into coalition with Labour.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

OllyT said:

You seemed pretty worked up about it a couple of days ago
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Biden refuses to apologise for working with racist senators

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48696126
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

The kind that results in Jewish nurseries having security guards. Awful.
    I'm sure Labour will be on the case soon... er or later, much later.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Anorak said:

Standard NaCTSO drills. I would imagine more relevant in a Jewish school.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

I think the EU would be looking for any new leader for a breakthrough and if there was a glimmer of one they would extend. I don't think they want a no deal but I don't think they will reopen the WA in order to avoid one.
    That's exactly what I think (so you are probably wrong!)
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

I mentioned it in passing. I'm more worked up by the fact we're still in the EU, that working class kids are suffering in poor comprehensive schools while the political class send theirs to private schools and the fact pensioners have to sell their homes to fund their own care as Osborne and Hammond hand bucket loads of cash over to corrupt countries abroad who wanted 'independence' from us.

A true reflection though of how liberal and wet many on here are, that my comment on two guys playing pretend marriage was most picked up on.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

You really are batshit crazy.

"We need Brexit so that the United Kingdom can be Sovereign" went the argument. And now? Bollocks to the Union.

Brexit ends the United Kingdom as a physical entity. Brexit cripples the economy. Brexit destroys the Tory party. And is still cheered on by Tories who insist we need it because the alternative is worse.

What pray tell is this worse alternative if we stay in the EU? A Plague of Locusts? A Manhattan sized asteroid crashing into Milton Keynes? War with France and mandatory snail soup after we lose?
    I want my country to be sovereign. I am English.

I want Brexit so that my country can be sovereign.
    I want English (or Scottish) independence so my country can be sovereign.

Fully consistent.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

So is this more widespread? None of my kids have ever been asked to do such a thing, even immediately after Dunblane.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"We need Brexit so that the United Kingdom can be Sovereign" went the argument. And now? Bollocks to the Union.

Brexit ends the United Kingdom as a physical entity. Brexit cripples the economy. Brexit destroys the Tory party. And is still cheered on by Tories who insist we need it because the alternative is worse.

What pray tell is this worse alternative if we stay in the EU? A Plague of Locusts? A Manhattan sized asteroid crashing into Milton Keynes? War with France and mandatory snail soup after we lose?
    He's not a Tory. He is some kind of English nationalist. Def not a Tory.
    Perhaps. yet those views are clearly widespread in the party. Brexit is worth more than the Union, the economy, the party. If you are batshit crazy. Thank goodness these people don't have anything politically important to for the next month or so
    If @Philip_Thompson is a member of the Conservative Party he will I'm sure shortly do the honourable thing and resign once he has read what it is there for and why.
    The membership of the Conservative and Unionist Party has been taken over. UKIPites/Faragists/BXP/fascist, call them what you like, but they ain't Conservatives in the true sense. It is like a scene from Star Trek where the Borg take over a planet
  • Options
    If as Casino Royale has said, Brexit cannot be Brexit if it breaks the Union, perhaps we should call it Eexit
  • Options

The membership of the Conservative and Unionist Party has been taken over. UKIPites/Faragists/BXP/fascist, call them what you like, but they ain't Conservatives in the true sense. It is like a scene from Star Trek where the Borg take over a planet

I, former Ukip member, pride myself on joining up immediately after the referendum and before Mr Banks hatched his plan. I could see what would need to be done, and here we are!

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Perhaps. yet those views are clearly widespread in the party. Brexit is worth more than the Union, the economy, the party. If you are batshit crazy. Thank goodness these people don't have anything politically important to for the next month or so
    If @Philip_Thompson is a member of the Conservative Party he will I'm sure shortly do the honourable thing and resign once he has read what it is there for and why.
    Farasites.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,159
    edited June 2019
    The apple sure didn't fall far from the boorish dumbfuck tree.

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1141696702618853378

• Options

that working class kids are suffering in poor comprehensive schools while the political class send theirs to private schools and the fact pensioners have to sell their homes to fund their own care as Osborne and Hammond hand bucket loads of cash over to corrupt countries abroad who wanted 'independence' from us.

What has any of that got to do with the EU?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

Boris has said Deal or No Deal by October, that wins most BP voters back bar No Deal hardliners.

But he hasn't. His language about 31/10 is the same as May's was about 29/3.

To illustrate. Assume you and I live together - not romantically, just flat share - and we need eggs to make an omelette for dinner.

You: We need eggs.

Me: Yes, I know. I'm going to the shops now.

You: Great. And you'll get some eggs?

Me: It is very important that I get eggs. If I don't we won't be having an omelette.

You: Right. So you will be getting some then, will you?

Me: I am passionately committed to us having an omelette tonight.

You: Which requires eggs. You gonna make sure to get some?

Me: Nobody wants an egg free shopping expedition, least of all me.

You: Look - ARE YOU GETTING US SOME FUCKING EGGS OR NOT ??

Me: No comment. Let's talk about something else.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I have backed the Tories on and off my entire adult lifetime. Though I've voted for multiple parties every time I voted for another it was with regret. But I've never been Borg. I have a selection of views I know are a minority within the party.

I am an atheist, liberal republican. I believe in a small state and the power of individualism.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What's even more depressing is that resistance seems a hell of a long way from being futile!
  • Options

I, former Ukip member, pride myself on joining up immediately after the referendum and before Mr Banks hatched his plan. I could see what would need to be done, and here we are!

Well you are a dishonest twat then. I suspect you support Johnson as he will nicely reflect your warped morals. Leavers are liars and cheats. hardly news I guess.
  • Options

The apple sure didn't fall far from the boorish dumbfuck tree.

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1141696702618853378

unbelievable. Some people are seriously sick
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

So is this more widespread? None of my kids have ever been asked to do such a thing, even immediately after Dunblane.
    They should have done. It is fairly recent but is being introduced around workplaces, schools, etc.

This is why the Jewish community is particularly aware:

https://telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9154350/Toulouse-shooting-little-girl-cornered-in-school-and-shot-in-head.html
  • Options

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

I mentioned it in passing. I'm more worked up by the fact we're still in the EU, that working class kids are suffering in poor comprehensive schools while the political class send theirs to private schools and the fact pensioners have to sell their homes to fund their own care as Osborne and Hammond hand bucket loads of cash over to corrupt countries abroad who wanted 'independence' from us.

A true reflection though of how liberal and wet many on here are, that my comment on two guys playing pretend marriage was most picked up on.
    I think it was picked up more because of your claim that you were gay but disapproved of homosexual activities and had therefore committed yourself to celibacy and had no relationships, and so on and so forth, conjuring up the picture of someone tragically tortured by guilt about his own sexuality.

But I suspect that was just another bit of attention-seeking trollish nonsense.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    nichomar said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Vive la WA!!!

But WHEN?

My assessment:

2019 - 25%
    2020 - 50%
    Later - 25%
    It all turns on whether the various independents in the Commons conclude that they want to do something else with their lives.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

I former Conservative member left after May became PM.

I voted for Cameron in 2005 but won't have a vote this time.
  • Options

Well you are a dishonest twat then. I suspect you support Johnson as he will nicely reflect your warped morals. Leavers are liars and cheats. hardly news I guess.
    I hope you are enjoying your gap year in Spain with hassle free freedom of movement.
  • Options
    Viceroy_of_OrangeViceroy_of_Orange Posts: 172
    edited June 2019

Well aren't you nice. :smiley:

And yes, I will be voting for Mr Johnson. You can start filling in your Liberal Democrat membership form in the meantime.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Fully consistent.
    That's cool. You are an English nationalist. Now I appreciate that it must come as a shock to you that the party you hitherto supported (I am assuming?) holds completely different views to your own but now that you realise you are in the wrong party it is time to join, er, the English Nationalists. The Conservative Party doesn't want you. So in the words which I believe were used earlier today - so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye.
  • Options
    Chris said:

I think it was picked up more because of your claim that you were gay but disapproved of homosexual activities and had therefore committed yourself to celibacy and had no relationships, and so on and so forth, conjuring up the picture of someone tragically tortured by guilt about his own sexuality.

I don't care whether you believe me or not. I was asked, and I answered.

• Options

You are not a Conservative. At least you are more honest than the UKIPer above though.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    slade said:

None look like prospects for the LibDems this week.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

To illustrate. Assume you and I live together - not romantically, just flat share - and we need eggs to make an omelette for dinner.

Me: It is very important that I get eggs. If I don't we won't be having an omelette.

He reportedly said:
    "We will leave the EU on 31 October, deal or no deal."

It may be a lie, but is it really ambiguous?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

They should have done. It is fairly recent but is being introduced around workplaces, schools, etc.

https://telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9154350/Toulouse-shooting-little-girl-cornered-in-school-and-shot-in-head.html
    My kids are older now, only 1 left at school, but I've never heard of such a thing. I hesitate to say it doesn't happen in Scotland but I've never heard of it.

Sadly, I can see why Jewish (and Muslim for that matter) dominated schools might think it necessary.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Fully consistent.
    That's cool. You are an English nationalist. Now I appreciate that it must come as a shock to you that the party you hitherto supported (I am assuming?) holds completely different views to your own but now that you realise you are in the wrong party it is time to join, er, the English Nationalists. The Conservative Party doesn't want you. So in the words which I believe were used earlier today - so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye.
    If the Conservative Party doesn't want me they can say so.

I'm also a republican who wants to abolish the monarchy.

I don't see why I need to slavishly follow the party line.
  • Options
    @Philip_Thompson

I see that you have agreed that you are not a Conservative. Fair enough. Why did you behave and post (to @Nigel_Foremain who is, er, a Conservative - for now, like me) as though you were a party member?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257

TOPPING said:

Fully consistent.
    You want Brexit so which country can be sovereign - the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? But you disavow the Union - so you don't care about the sovereignty of your country as you want to dismantle your country.

What specifically do you want to have sovereignty for? "England" has been an ever-evolving place as you know. When you seek nationhood for England do you include or exclude Wales? If its exclude then we're talking about pre-1535 England. In which case I assume you lay claim to Calais? Or perhaps gp further back and demand fealty of other parts of modern day France.

Tell you what. If you represent English Nationalism, I'll start a campaign to resurrect the Danelaw and the Kingdom of Strathclyde
  • Options

Chris said:

I don't care whether you believe me or not. I was asked, and I answered.

Well, if it's true, you really shouldn't be surprised that people have picked up on this particular screwed-up aspect of your personality more than any other.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

Anecdotally, a friend of mine is a teacher at a private school (not a particularly famous one). A couple of years back she complained she was having to give up a Saturday to go into school to undergo training in what to do if there was an attack.

One bit, oddly, was learning how to open the secure windows from the inside to allow them to open enough for people to get out. Something they didn't want the children knowing!

I hadn't heard of these sorts of drills, though.
  • Options

You are not a Conservative. At least you are more honest than the UKIPer above though.
    I said that earlier I'm a liberal not a conservative.

For most of my life I've been a Conservative because they are the most classics economically liberal party that exists today.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Good question and I really don't know. Do you see an autumn election?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Fully consistent.

No indeed. You maintain your independence from any party line. Just be yourself. Certainly PB would be a lot duller without your contributions but there is also the fact that as you have explained that your political ideals are batshit crazy, it explains a lot of your posts on anything and everything to date.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

My kids are older now, only 1 left at school, but I've never heard of such a thing. I hesitate to say it doesn't happen in Scotland but I've never heard of it.

Sadly, I can see why Jewish (and Muslim for that matter) dominated schools might think it necessary.
    Indeed.

Quick google - https://scotland.police.uk/keep-safe/280693/
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

@Philip_Thompson

I see that you have agreed that you are not a Conservative. Fair enough. Why did you behave and post (to @Nigel_Foremain who is, er, a Conservative - for now, like me) as though you were a party member?

I used to be a party member. I was for a very, very long time. I voted Cameron in 2005.

I hope to return "home" to the Conservatives when authoritarian May is gone.

I have supported the Conservatives in the UK and Liberals in Australia the vast majority of my life. Spiritually I feel they are my party even if I can't support them under Theresa May.

The name is not important. Liberal in Aus or Conservative in UK I support the economically liberal and socially liberal right wing.
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

Anecdotally, a friend of mine is a teacher at a private school (not a particularly famous one). A couple of years back she complained she was having to give up a Saturday to go into school to undergo training in what to do if there was an attack.

One bit, oddly, was learning how to open the secure windows from the inside to allow them to open enough for people to get out. Something they didn't want the children knowing!

I hadn't heard of these sorts of drills, though.
    You should ask your childrens' school or your workplace about them; there will be someone at those institutions who is the coordinator. The NaCTSO website is a great resource. They run frequent workshops and so forth.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Fully consistent.
    You want Brexit so which country can be sovereign - the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? But you disavow the Union - so you don't care about the sovereignty of your country as you want to dismantle your country.

What specifically do you want to have sovereignty for? "England" has been an ever-evolving place as you know. When you seek nationhood for England do you include or exclude Wales? If its exclude then we're talking about pre-1535 England. In which case I assume you lay claim to Calais? Or perhaps gp further back and demand fealty of other parts of modern day France.

Tell you what. If you represent English Nationalism, I'll start a campaign to resurrect the Danelaw and the Kingdom of Strathclyde
    In an ideal world I would want English independence using England as defined today. I would like to see Wales and Scotland as friendly neighbours.

But if the Welsh and Scots don't want independence I don't mind them tagging along with us that much.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

Indeed.

Not seeing anything like this kind of drill mentioned there (although I accept that it is a possible response to preparedness of your building).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Fully consistent.

No indeed. You maintain your independence from any party line. Just be yourself. Certainly PB would be a lot duller without your contributions but there is also the fact that as you have explained that your political ideals are batshit crazy, it explains a lot of your posts on anything and everything to date.
    What is crazy? I'm consistent.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Chris said:

He reportedly said:

I have not heard him say that on TV or in parliament. If he phrases it like that - "deal or no deal" - this is stronger than May's language about 29 March.

She never went beyond "We will be leaving the European Union on 29th March."

The kicker "deal or no deal" makes a difference. It moves it closer to a guarantee that if he is thwarted in the objective he will call a general election.

I know many on here think that he will.

What do you think?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Well, if it's true, you really shouldn't be surprised that people have picked up on this particular screwed-up aspect of your personality more than any other.

Heavy burden but it is what it is.

Hopefully those Russians are working on a cure as we speak.

• Options

Chris said:

This has to be a troll...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    I am puzzled why the same PBers who thought it was a jolly jape that £3 entryists got a vote in the Labour leadership election are now indignant that various far-right entryists will get a vote in the Conservative leadership election.

Not that it matters when your long-standing membership is full of swivel-eyed loons who will genuflect at the altar of Bozo anyway.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Fully consistent.

What is crazy? I'm consistent.
    I think the concept of English nationalism is consistent of course. But it is a crazy position to take. IMO.

And as @RochdalePioneers has asked, where do you, literally, draw the line for England given its association with its neighbours over the past few centuries?

But the good news is that you prove the concept as you are the very definition of the Little Englander that Cameron said was a typical Leave voter.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

Chris said:

Obvious troll is obvious. ;)
  • Options

Chris said:

If your God can't cure you, I'm afraid the Russians don't stand much chance. ;-)
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

It's the fact that there are Conservative MPs so alienated from the process that they can't pick from the remaining four candidates. That does not bode well for party discipline.

Anyone who feels that alienated that they can't vote for any of the FOUR candidates remaining (two leavers and two remainers FWIW) should resign the whip.
    Bye bye majority
    Hello election with all defections replaced as candidates.
    Hello Corbyn as PM...
    Hello Boris PM with overall majority as BP falls back and Corbyn loses votes to LDs
    If there is an election in the limited time available then Boris won't have had the opportunity to convince TBP that he really means it when he says he is going to leave by Oct 31st and Farage, Widdicombe, et al will be replaying his refusal to guarantee leaving by that date at every available opportunity.

Corbyn likely still leaks Remainers to LDs though even with his vague EUref2 promise
    They don't believe him. Farage will make a big play of not believing him. Do you oris?
    Boris slashes the Brexit Party back to 13% or less in the polls, all other remaining candidates keep the Brexit Party over 20% in the polls
    Maybe. But everyday he is becoming less clear about his October 31st deadline. I know you value polls, and in the absence of any other metric they can be useful. But was the poll you cite before or after his non-committal on guaranteeing leaving by October 31st. Was it before or after the ES endorsement?

Like free movement of people? Or a 2nd referendum?
    Fewer MPs voted for staying in the single market and EUref2 in the indicative votes than voted for the WA in MV3
    Remind me - which of those votes was heavily whipped and which were free votes?
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574

eristdoof said:

TOPPING said:

The you cannot call yourself a conservative. It's not called the "Conservative and Unionist Party" for nothing.
    I don't like either name. My political philosophy is neither conservatism nor unionism. However it is the party that closest matches my beliefs. By name I prefer the name of the Australian equivalent of the party, the Liberal Party.

My political philosophy is one of classical liberalism. Aka nowadays libertarianism. I believe in small state both economically and socially. Socially I am very liberal and not conservative so the name of the party in the UK has always say uncomfortably with me.

I could quite happily also be an Orange Book Liberal Democrat but could never support a party that might go into coalition with Labour.
    you are not an Orange Book Lbieral Democrat, mate, believe me. We want a) the union and b) membership of the EU. On neither count would you fit in.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

I am puzzled why the same PBers who thought it was a jolly jape that £3 entryists got a vote in the Labour leadership election are now indignant that various far-right entryists will get a vote in the Conservative leadership election.

Not that it matters when your long-standing membership is full of swivel-eyed loons who will genuflect at the altar of Bozo anyway.

I regret that as a former long-term member my great distaste for authoritarian May means I won't get a vote now.

Ironically I joined pre-Cameron as I was that disgusted that the members had gone for IDS over Ken Clarke that I joined to get a vote next time. Was happy then to vote for Cameron over DD.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    Chris said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

He reportedly said:

No more of a lie than the same sentence with '29th March' substituted.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

Indeed.

Not seeing anything like this kind of drill mentioned there (although I accept that it is a possible response to preparedness of your building).
    This bit - https://scotland.police.uk/keep-safe/280693/stay-safe-firearms-and-weapons-attack

It stems from the "run, hide, tell" ("run, hide, fight" in the US) strategy. There are different drills for institutions such as schools for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Glanced in for the latest thinking on the election, and find umpteen posts debating the personal merits of Philip Thompson and anonymous poster Viceroy. Suggestion: let them be whatever they like and let's concentrate on what's happening to our country?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Chris said:

He reportedly said:

I have not heard him say that on TV or in parliament. If he phrases it like that - "deal or no deal" - this is stronger than May's language about 29 March.

She never went beyond "We will be leaving the European Union on 29th March."

The kicker "deal or no deal" makes a difference. It moves it closer to a guarantee that if he is thwarted in the objective he will call a general election.

I know many on here think that he will.

What do you think?
    I don't know. I think his antics - and the antics of most of the other leadership contenders - defy rational analysis.

This was my source for that phrase, by the way:
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/boris-johnson/news/104142/boris-johnson-says-brexit
  • Options

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

He reportedly said:

No more of a lie than the same sentence with '29th March' substituted.
    Did Theresa May ever say "We will leave the EU on 29 March, deal or no deal"?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293

Chris said:

He’s picked a photo of Enoch Powell. Of course he is a troll.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    FFS.. can't they do it by text? Or at least Skype?

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1141707403186114560
  • Options

Glanced in for the latest thinking on the election, and find umpteen posts debating the personal merits of Philip Thompson and anonymous poster Viceroy. Suggestion: let them be whatever they like and let's concentrate on what's happening to our country?

@Philip_Thompson is advocating a particular political direction for our country and hence it is a legitimate discussion. The Viceroy no idea I haven't been following.

Plus since when has PB had a strict set of rules as to what can and can't be discussed?!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

+1
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I think the concept of English nationalism is consistent of course. But it is a crazy position to take. IMO.

And as @RochdalePioneers has asked, where do you, literally, draw the line for England given its association with its neighbours over the past few centuries?

But the good news is that you prove the concept as you are the very definition of the Little Englander that Cameron said was a typical Leave voter.

Is Scottish nationalism crazy? Or is only English nationalism crazy?

I draw the line for England at its current boundaries.

Well yes the logic that drives me to independence in both votes is consistently the same. To me it only logical. If I was a unionist who believed large unions were better than I would back Remain and No on independence.

What strikes me as completely illogical is the people who ardently support one union while opposing the other. EG Tory unionists who want to leave the EU . . . or SNP nationalists who want independence but to stay in the EU. The two positions contradict each other.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Fully consistent.

In an ideal world I would want English independence using England as defined today. I would like to see Wales and Scotland as friendly neighbours.

But if the Welsh and Scots don't want independence I don't mind them tagging along with us that much.
    As I said before, you are definitely not a Conservative
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Chris said:

He’s picked a photo of Enoch Powell. Of course he is a troll.
    I'm afraid Enoch Powell is genuinely still revered in parts of the Black Country. People really do still say "Enoch was right."
  • Options

I’ve suggested that a couple of times but it’s difficult not to react to some of the outpourings. You find you’ve responded before your ember you where going to resist.
This discussion has been closed.