Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The top pollster from the 2014 Euros now has LAB 6 points behi

Comments

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > Charming:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1131157602312830976

Francois is really a vile disgusting creature . I have no time for May but that sort of behaviour is disgraceful .
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    > @crandles said:
    > So what's the timetable likely to be:
    > Immediately step down and Liddington becomes acting PM?
    > 12 weeks in all to go to con party members to have as much ligitimacy as possible to compensate as far as possible for lack of General election authority?
    > or .....

The usual course would be for Theresa May to announce her resignation as Con leader, thus triggering a leadership contest but for her to remain as Prime Minister until a successor is chosen.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited May 2019
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > Charming:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1131157602312830976

Translate today's Euros Yougov to a general election and Francois loses his seat to the Brexit Party which would be amusing
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    crandles said:

So what's the timetable likely to be:

Immediately step down and Liddington becomes acting PM?

12 weeks in all to go to con party members to have as much ligitimacy as possible to compensate as far as possible for lack of General election authority?

or .....

Oh please let that happen, I win a tidy little sum.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @crandles said:
    > > So what's the timetable likely to be:
    > > Immediately step down and Liddington becomes acting PM?
    > > 12 weeks in all to go to con party members to have as much ligitimacy as possible to compensate as far as possible for lack of General election authority?
    > > or .....
    >
    > The usual course would be for Theresa May to announce her resignation as Con leader, thus triggering a leadership contest but for her to remain as Prime Minister until a successor is chosen.

Most likely
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2019
    > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    >
    >
    >
    > > EE and Vodafone drop Huawei phones from 5G launch in the UK
    >
    > >
    >
    > > “Until we get the information and confidence ... we’ve put those devices on pause”
    >
    > >
    >
    > > https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/22/18635313/huawei-phones-dropped-uk-carrier-ee-5g-mate-20-launch
    >
    >
    >
    > Glad I bought a Samsung S10....only decent high end phone out there ;-)
    >
    > Fake news.
    >
    > The XS Max is the greatest phone out there.

In all seriousness, there is a big possibility now that we end up with two different mobile eco-systems, where China make all their own chips designs, modems, OS, ripped off from western IP, but all with separate standards.

If that was to be the case, wouldn't surprise me if they flood the developing world with it all and then you end up with the western brands only able to operate in the west and China standards ruling places Africa.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    HYUFD maybe it's not a huge surprise but when the Conservatives start losing the support of people like Michael Heseltine, John Major and George Osborne you really really should sit up.

This is so so so reminiscent of Momentum's take over of Labour.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689

> @isam said:

>> @tlg86 said:

>>

>> But, for example, it would be completely wrong to forbid children to take part in lessons where they learn about the existence of other religions (and atheism) and learn tolerance for those different practises. Our country is supposed to be all about tolerance and understanding and it is those values that should be taught in school to ALL children.

>

> Well that IS happening, as my example shows.

>

> My girlfriend works at a non religious school that is closed in a fortnight for a day for Eid, because no one will turn up. Is that ok?

Islam is either already the largest religion in the UK or will overtake Anglicanism within less than five years. The 'White British' population is already below 50% in four towns,will drop below 50% in Birmingham by 2020, and will fall below 50% in the UK as a whole in 2060. People saying 'our country' have, with all due respect, completely missed the point.

The latest figures that I have seen is that the White British population will be 67% in 2051, with another 2.5% Irish and 10% white other, so the total BAME population including mixed heritage is about 20%. Like all projections it is subject to revision.

Your usage of "our country" is interesting. By 2051 the descendents of the Windrush generation will have been here a century. Will it ever be "our country" for them in your mind?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1131150145167470592?s=21
    >
    > No surprise there
    >
    > https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1130497963917135872?s=20

Nick and Danny clearly consuming their milkshakes, rather than lobbing them.....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    > @eek said:
    > > @Gallowgate said:
    > > ***Trainspotting Post***
    > >
    > > Slipped under my usually efficient radar, but in recent weeks, Epsom in Surrey, and Cuffley, Bayford and Hertford North have come under the London Oyster Card scheme, meaning you can use Oyster or a Contactless bank card on journeys to and from any station in London.
    > >
    > > Potters Bar and Radlett to follow later this summer. And I think Luton Airport and Reading should be reachable by Oyster by the end of the year.
    > >
    > > Also, there's more! A brand new station near Tottenham, Meridian Water, is due to open next Tuesday, replacing the nearby Angel Road, which is currently the least used station in London. The new station is in a more accessible location, opposite a big Tesco's and there will be new housing next door.
    > >
    > >
    > > All this, whilst the Tyne and Wear Metro rots.
    > >
    > >
    > > I've done the Metro, two years back! But I think you're supposed to get some brand new trains within the next few years?
    > >
    > > Only about 10 years too late. We need more trains, new stations, and new lines. The scale of house building on Tyneside is insane but no investment at all in local transport.
    > >
    > > Plenty of money for London but none for the provinces.
    >
    > The purpose of the regional mayors was to provide a place for such conversations to take place and allow such schemes to be created.
    >
    > Down south of you, we have a mayor focusing on keeping the airport viable and improving links across the Tees Valley. Given the mess the councils South of the Tyne made by voting against a regional mayor I suspect the metro won't be expanded at any time in the future.

Would be ironic, and fitting, and good for me, if the Metro was extended north of the Tyne only.
    Meanwhile. Prudhoe to Newcastle is 12 miles. There are NO trains before 09:55 or after 21:23 on Sundays. It is therefore impossible to work either an early shift, or a late one in Toon, or at the Metro Centre. Unsurprisingly the roads and pollution suffer.
    Quality of trains is one thing. Their total absence is another matter.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Do Baker, Rees-Mogg and company always sit on the far-right of the government benches?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    Scott_P said:
    I'm really glad the ERG are in favour of changing the rules and holding a second vote once the circumstances change and new facts are known.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

_Anazina_ said:

tlg86 said:

> @Richard_Tyndall said:

> > @isam said:

> >

> > I think they should be allowed to pull their kids from lessons they disagreee with, not stop the lessons being taught.

>

> People should not be allowed to opt out of legal requirements because they disagree with them. I disagree with the current speeding laws and the current tax policies but would fully expect to be prosecuted if I was driving at 85 on a motorway or did not pay my tax.

There were kids at my primary school who were Jehovah's Witnesses and they were excused from assembly due to the religious nature of some assemblies.

Whereas I had to sit through them, bored out of my brains, then got a bollocking when I said that what there were banging on about was a load of rubbish. There's a clear answer: get rid of faith teaching in state schools. Given that most British people are not religious I don't see why this would even be that hard to enact, if the will was there.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-people-atheist-no-religion-uk-christianity-islam-sikism-judaism-jewish-muslims-a7928896.html
    There's something to be said for a modicum of boredom in education (the odd hour each week, though, not every lesson...).
    The realisation that figures of authority spout nonsense from time to time is also of some benefit.
    It doesn't appear to have done you any lasting harm.
    Learning to tolerate boredom is a very useful life skill. Not everything that is important to do is always interesting. I am glad that shool continues to teach boredom, rather than trying to make everything fun and exciting.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    edited May 2019
    Foxy said:

The latest figures that I have seen is that the White British population will be 67% in 2051, with another 2.5% Irish and 10% white other, so the total BAME population including mixed heritage is about 20%. Like all projections it is subject to revision.

Your usage of "our country" is interesting. By 2051 the descendents of the Windrush generation will have been here a century. Will it ever be "our country" for them in your mind?

If "our" means British citizens, then it already is.

Do you disagree with what @Richard_Tyndall (I think, hard to tell with this FU'd comment system) said about our country?

"Our country is supposed to be all about tolerance and understanding and it is those values that should be taught in school to ALL children."
  • Options
    Risk of nuclear war at its highest since WW2 UN nuclear adviser says

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/05/22/risk-of-nuclear-war-now-highest-since-ww2-u-n-arms-research-ch/
  • Options
    Foxy, my reference to 'our' country was ironic. There's really no such thing. Of course we all need to respect the vets who fought to the death in two world wars. But they also fought alongside many Commonwealth citizens, whose graves I have frequently visited. They fought for freedoms and against fascism and extreme nationalism.

This has always been a mixed race nation, going back thousands of years. 'We ourselves' were seafaring and internationalist, conquering 1/3rd of the globe. And in many cases 'we' welcomed with open arms those from other countries.

Britain is mixed race. Always has been. Always will be. Chasing after some nostalgic white Anglo-Saxon identity is fool's gold.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Foxy said:

> @isam said:

>> @tlg86 said:

>>

>> But, for example, it would be completely wrong to forbid children to take part in lessons where they learn about the existence of other religions (and atheism) and learn tolerance for those different practises. Our country is supposed to be all about tolerance and understanding and it is those values that should be taught in school to ALL children.

>

> Well that IS happening, as my example shows.

>

> My girlfriend works at a non religious school that is closed in a fortnight for a day for Eid, because no one will turn up. Is that ok?

Islam is either already the largest religion in the UK or will overtake Anglicanism within less than five years. The 'White British' population is already below 50% in four towns,will drop below 50% in Birmingham by 2020, and will fall below 50% in the UK as a whole in 2060. People saying 'our country' have, with all due respect, completely missed the point.

His use of ‘our country’ is a quote from people arguing that religious people should be forced to make their children attend lessons that teach them stuff they find abominable.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    HYUFD said:

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/05/22/risk-of-nuclear-war-now-highest-since-ww2-u-n-arms-research-ch/

Higher than the infamous 13 days of JFK? Very much doubt it.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > HYUFD maybe it's not a huge surprise but when the Conservatives start losing the support of people like Michael Heseltine, John Major and George Osborne you really really should sit up.
    >
    > This is so so so reminiscent of Momentum's take over of Labour.

Most 2017 Tory voters are now voting Brexit Party on Thursday, Ann Widdecombe is even standing for them if the Blairites and Cameroons want to form a CUK/LD Alliance fine
  • Options
    > @isam said:

> His use of ‘our country’ is a quote from people arguing that religious people should be forced to make their children attend lessons that teach them stuff they find abominable.

With respect I said no such thing. I said it was of course okay for children in some areas to have a day off to celebrate Eid. Just as it would be for Diwali, or Yom Kippur, or Chinese New Year.

It was a positive point, not one built on a foundation of hate and anger.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481

> @TrèsDifficile said:

> Maybe we are seeing the death throws of both major party leaders?

>

> Are they deadly judo moves?

ho ho OK, death throes, check my spelling!

:) I'd have believed you that it was an automiscorrect, in a way I've never believed @TheScreamingEagles
    Well that's not my fault.

Still at least you're not accusing half the board of being perverts.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited May 2019
    > @isam said:
    > I’m not the one saying it’s ‘our’ country and they should fit in, it’s the people arguing with me.

Isn't it fascinating how eager people are to make this mistake? Even when you put it in quotation marks, they glide right past them.

> @Foxy said:
    >>@Chelyabinsk said:
    >>> @tlg86 said:
    >>> Our country is supposed to be all about tolerance and understanding and it is those values that should be taught in school to ALL children.
    >>People saying 'our country' have, with all due respect, completely missed the point.
    > Your usage of "our country" is interesting.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > Risk of nuclear war at its highest since WW2 UN nuclear adviser says
    >
    > https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/05/22/risk-of-nuclear-war-now-highest-since-ww2-u-n-arms-research-ch/

Sorry, but I refuse to believe it is higher than during the Cuban missile crisis.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    > @rottenborough said:
    >
    >
    >
    > https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/05/22/risk-of-nuclear-war-now-highest-since-ww2-u-n-arms-research-ch/
    >
    > Higher than the infamous 13 days of JFK? Very much doubt it.

And I remember that crisis with real fear and concern.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Another clueless Shadow Cabinet minister in denial on the Daily Politics. Asked if Labour was losing Remainer votes .

No!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711
    Francois asking about a live case on NI army investigations - clearly been coordinated on the Tory benches.
  • Options

Foxy said:

If "our" means British citizens, then it already is.

Do you disagree with what @tlg86 said about our country?

"Our country is supposed to be all about tolerance and understanding and it is those values that should be taught in school to ALL children."
    Is that what "our country" is all about? we have a long history of intolerance and lack of understanding, often wilful, of other values, up to and including the present age. To pretend otherwise is to believe our own myths.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:

> Most 2017 Tory voters are now voting Brexit Party on Thursday, A

Sorry but this loose comment has to be called out. It's the kind of thing Farage says and it's totally untrue (no surprise there).

13,636,684 million people voted Conservative on 08th June 2017.

The Brexit Party will do well to garner 1/5th of them tomorrow.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > Foxy, my reference to 'our' country was ironic. There's really no such thing. Of course we all need to respect the vets who fought to the death in two world wars. But they also fought alongside many Commonwealth citizens, whose graves I have frequently visited. They fought for freedoms and against fascism and extreme nationalism.
    >
    > This has always been a mixed race nation, going back thousands of years. 'We ourselves' were seafaring and internationalist, conquering 1/3rd of the globe. And in many cases 'we' welcomed with open arms those from other countries.
    >
    > Britain is mixed race. Always has been. Always will be. Chasing after some nostalgic white Anglo-Saxon identity is fool's gold.

I know we don't agree on much but this is spot on.
  • Options

> @isam said:

> I’m not the one saying it’s ‘our’ country and they should fit in, it’s the people arguing with me.

Isn't it fascinating how eager people are to make this mistake? Even when you put it in quotation marks, they glide right past them.

> @Foxy said:

>>@Chelyabinsk said:

>>> @tlg86 said:

>>> Our country is supposed to be all about tolerance and understanding and it is those values that should be taught in school to ALL children.

>>People saying 'our country' have, with all due respect, completely missed the point.

> Your usage of "our country" is interesting.

I am no longer sure who says what in Vanilla blockquoting!

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Edit: thanks Richard @Richard_Tyndall

As I was saying.

@Mysticrose said:

Foxy, my reference to 'our' country was ironic. There's really no such thing. Of course we all need to respect the vets who fought to the death in two world wars. But they also fought alongside many Commonwealth citizens, whose graves I have frequently visited. They fought for freedoms and against fascism and extreme nationalism.

This has always been a mixed race nation, going back thousands of years. 'We ourselves' were seafaring and internationalist, conquering 1/3rd of the globe. And in many cases 'we' welcomed with open arms those from other countries.

Britain is mixed race. Always has been. Always will be. Chasing after some nostalgic white Anglo-Saxon identity is fool's gold.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited May 2019
    So the issue of Northern Ireland army veterans is being used as some sort of weird proxy internal Tory battle?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    HYUFD said:

It'll probably happen as we've been really very close twice (that we know about): the Arkhipov incident in '62 and the Black Brant incident in '95.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited May 2019
    > @solarflare said:
    > So the issue of Northern Ireland army veterans is being used as some sort of weird proxy internal Tory battle?

Suspect this is signalling what they want/expect Mays successor to commit to Re. Northern Ireland veterans.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    >
    > > Most 2017 Tory voters are now voting Brexit Party on Thursday, A
    >
    > Sorry but this loose comment has to be called out. It's the kind of thing Farage says and it's totally untrue (no surprise there).
    >
    > 13,636,684 million people voted Conservative on 08th June 2017.
    >
    > The Brexit Party will do well to garner 1/5th of them tomorrow.
    >

Very good point. This is a low turnout election
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    edited May 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Suspect this is signalling what they want/expect Mays successor to commit to Re. Northern Ireland veterans.

It's ridiculous. There may well be anomalies (re reinvestigating cases with no new evidence) but the policy is clear and sensible.
  • Options
    > @Dura_Ace said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It'll probably happen as we've been really very close twice (that we know about): the Arkhipov incident in '62 and the Black Brant incident in '95.

And 26th September 1983:

"On 26 September 1983, the nuclear early-warning system of the Soviet Union reported the launch of multiple USAF Minuteman intercontinental ballistic missiles from bases in the United States. These missile attack warnings were correctly identified as a false alarm by Stanislav Yevgrafovich Petrov, an officer of the Soviet Air Defence Forces."

Petrov became known as "the man who single-handedly saved the world from nuclear war".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident
  • Options
    I really don't see what's wrong with asking Parliament to decide on the temporary customs union.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    >
    >
    > Sorry but this loose comment has to be called out. It's the kind of thing Farage says and it's totally untrue (no surprise there).
    >
    >
    >

We do not know what turn out will be tomorrow but it certainly looks higher than the locals, if it reaches 40% over half of 2016 general election voters will vote.

Yet Yougov has 65% of 2017 Tory voters voting Brexit Party to just 16% voting Tory
  • Options
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I would be very surprised if they failed to gain a third as many votes. If turnout is up then half as many is possible.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307
    It seems to me that we're living in this strange, edgy twilight world that will soon be swept away and forgotten within days. What will follow is Boris World.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,507
    edited May 2019
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @solarflare said:
    > > So the issue of Northern Ireland army veterans is being used as some sort of weird proxy internal Tory battle?
    >
    > Suspect this is signalling what they want/expect Mays successor to commit to Re. Northern Ireland veterans.

The issuing of letters of comfort to get the Good Friday Agreement should have been balanced by a similar arrangement for the RUC, UDR, RIR and British Army.

We should have had a proper Truth and Reconciliation Commission to lance the boils and help healing. A missed opportunity.

Edit: sorry but I am dyslexic and often don't spot typos before I post comments
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited May 2019
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > Edit: thanks Richard @Richard_Tyndall
    >
    > As I was saying.
    >
    > @Mysticrose said:
    >
    > This has always been a mixed race nation, going back thousands of years. 'We ourselves' were seafaring and internationalist, conquering 1/3rd of the globe. And in many cases 'we' welcomed with open arms those from other countries.
    >
    > Britain is mixed race. Always has been. Always will be. Chasing after some nostalgic white Anglo-Saxon identity is fool's gold.
    >
    >
    Indeed it is - the genetic roots of Britons actually go back to the original settlers of the islands (1), with Anglo-Saxon DNA present in only half the samples, and amounting to about 10 - 40% of their genome. The idea that 'Britain is mixed race' flies in the face of the distinct genetic clusters (2) which still make up the island, formed precisely because moment within Britain - let alone across the globe - was so rare until the very recent past.

(1)http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530134-300-ancient-invaders-transformed-britain-but-not-its-dna/
    (2)http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/14/britons-still-live-in-anglo-saxon-tribal-kingdoms-oxford-univers/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
  • Options

We should have had a proper Truth and Reconciliation Commission to lance the boils and help healing. A missed opportunity.

Edit: sorry but I am dyslexic and often don't spot typos before I post comments

Letters of comfort weren't an amnesty. They were letters to tell people, if they wanted to return to NI, whether they would or would not face charges.
  • Options
    PM speaking a lot of common sense, meanwhile.

Sadly I think we are beyond that.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1131150145167470592?s=21
    >
    > No surprise there
    >
    > https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1130497963917135872?s=20

Smug bastards. Never done a day's hard graft between them, but all now living the life of Riley.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > @Mysticrose said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > >
    > > > Most 2017 Tory voters are now voting Brexit Party on Thursday, A
    > >
    > > Sorry but this loose comment has to be called out. It's the kind of thing Farage says and it's totally untrue (no surprise there).
    > >
    > > 13,636,684 million people voted Conservative on 08th June 2017.
    > >
    > > The Brexit Party will do well to garner 1/5th of them tomorrow.
    > >
    >
    > Very good point. This is a low turnout election

But have we ever had an EU election before where the result <i>mattered</i>? This one does. I expect turnout to be well up.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    HYUFD said:

> @CarlottaVance said:

> Charming:

>

>

Translate today's Euros Yougov to a general election and Francois loses his seat to the Brexit Party which would be amusing
    Charmless to the end.
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1131168020083167232
  • Options
    Corbyn also talking sense.

Politics, eh?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Mysticrose said:
    > > HYUFD maybe it's not a huge surprise but when the Conservatives start losing the support of people like Michael Heseltine, John Major and George Osborne you really really should sit up.
    > >
    > > This is so so so reminiscent of Momentum's take over of Labour.
    >
    > Most 2017 Tory voters are now voting Brexit Party on Thursday, Ann Widdecombe is even standing for them if the Blairites and Cameroons want to form a CUK/LD Alliance fine

There are sources of news other than ConHome.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > @Mysticrose said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > >
    > > > Most 2017 Tory voters are now voting Brexit Party on Thursday, A
    > >
    > > Sorry but this loose comment has to be called out. It's the kind of thing Farage says and it's totally untrue (no surprise there).
    > >
    > > 13,636,684 million people voted Conservative on 08th June 2017.
    > >
    > > The Brexit Party will do well to garner 1/5th of them tomorrow.
    > >
    >
    > Very good point. This is a low turnout election

But 33% of a 15 million turnout would still be circa 5 million votes.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Stark_Dawning said:
    > It seems to me that we're living in this strange, edgy twilight world that will soon be swept away and forgotten within days. What will follow is Boris World.

As opposed to the malfunctioning robot causing utter destruction in May World?
  • Options
    Blimmin' heck good speech by Corbyn.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

> @HYUFD said:

> > @williamglenn said:

> >

>

> No surprise there

>

>

Smug bastards. Never done a day's hard graft between them, but all now living the life of Riley.
    I find this comment rather interesting, given the new realities of work. What us a 'day's hard graft' nowadays - we can't all be firefighters, builders or miners.

I've worked on construction / demo sites, and as a software engineer, and I wouldn't say either was easy: they could be 'hard graft' in various ways. And I certainly wouldn't say that Mrs J, who has never had to get her hands dirty in a job, is not a hard grafter - she works incredibly hard.

I'm far from sure you can realistically accuse any of those three of not having worked hard - and if they've been rewarded for it, fair enough.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

***Trainspotting Post***

Slipped under my usually efficient radar, but in recent weeks, Epsom in Surrey, and Cuffley, Bayford and Hertford North have come under the London Oyster Card scheme, meaning you can use Oyster or a Contactless bank card on journeys to and from any station in London.

Potters Bar and Radlett to follow later this summer. And I think Luton Airport and Reading should be reachable by Oyster by the end of the year.

Also, there's more! A brand new station near Tottenham, Meridian Water, is due to open next Tuesday, replacing the nearby Angel Road, which is currently the least used station in London. The new station is in a more accessible location, opposite a big Tesco's and there will be new housing next door.

All this, whilst the Tyne and Wear Metro rots.
    What's happening with the Newcastle Metro? Problems? I used to use that regularly years ago when I lived there.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2019
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited May 2019
    > @JosiasJessop said:
    > I find this comment rather interesting, given the new realities of work. What us a 'day's hard graft' nowadays - we can't all be firefighters, builders or miners.
    >
    > I've worked on construction / demo sites, and as a software engineer, and I wouldn't say either was easy: they could be 'hard graft' in various ways. And I certainly wouldn't say that Mrs J, who has never had to get her hands dirty in a job, is not a hard grafter - she works incredibly hard.
    >
    > I'm far from sure you can realistically accuse any of those three of not having worked hard - and if they've been rewarded for it, fair enough.

An interesting thing I read in Tim Shipman's All Out War was an observation by someone in No 10 that the referendum night was the only time they ever saw David Cameron use a computer.
  • Options
    > @twistedfirestopper3 said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1131150145167470592?s=21
    > >
    > > No surprise there
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1130497963917135872?s=20
    >
    > Smug bastards. Never done a day's hard graft between them, but all now living the life of Riley.

Now, now, I am sure millionaire investment banker Sir Danny Alexander, multi millionaire Facebook executive and California based Nick Clegg and million pounds a year 3 jobs Osborne put in a lot of 'graft' for their trouble
  • Options
    I am trying to work out which is more broken, mays government or the vanilla blockquote system....
  • Options
    Poor Theresa May reduced to appealing to facts. A throwback to a bygone age.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2019
    Some of the Lib Dems, particularly those wanting to move left nowadays, are not going to welcome Osborne's support. On the cusp of "detoxification" that could lose a couple of percentage points of support in places like university towns, London and parts of the North.
  • Options
    > @Scott_P said:
    > /twitter.com/e_casalicchio/status/1131172085143937026

Is there an election coming up or something?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    tlg86 said:

> @JosiasJessop said:

> I find this comment rather interesting, given the new realities of work. What us a 'day's hard graft' nowadays - we can't all be firefighters, builders or miners.

>

> I've worked on construction / demo sites, and as a software engineer, and I wouldn't say either was easy: they could be 'hard graft' in various ways. And I certainly wouldn't say that Mrs J, who has never had to get her hands dirty in a job, is not a hard grafter - she works incredibly hard.

>

> I'm far from sure you can realistically accuse any of those three of not having worked hard - and if they've been rewarded for it, fair enough.

An interesting thing I read in Tim Shipman's All Out War was an observation by someone in No 10 that the referendum night was the only time they ever saw David Cameron use a computer.

I thought he rather liked Angry Birds ? ;)
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @twistedfirestopper3 said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > > https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1131150145167470592?s=21
    > > >
    > > > No surprise there
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1130497963917135872?s=20
    > >
    > > Smug bastards. Never done a day's hard graft between them, but all now living the life of Riley.
    >
    > Now, now, I am sure millionaire investment banker Sir Danny Alexander, multi millionaire Facebook executive and California based Nick Clegg and million pounds a year 3 jobs Osborne put in a lot of 'graft' for their trouble

Osborne's stunt with his Lib Dem "pals" is a timely reminder to any defecting Labour Remainers to vote Green rather than Lib Dem.
  • Options
    > @JosiasJessop said:
    > > @JosiasJessop said:
    >
    > > I find this comment rather interesting, given the new realities of work. What us a 'day's hard graft' nowadays - we can't all be firefighters, builders or miners.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I've worked on construction / demo sites, and as a software engineer, and I wouldn't say either was easy: they could be 'hard graft' in various ways. And I certainly wouldn't say that Mrs J, who has never had to get her hands dirty in a job, is not a hard grafter - she works incredibly hard.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I'm far from sure you can realistically accuse any of those three of not having worked hard - and if they've been rewarded for it, fair enough.
    >
    >
    >
    > An interesting thing I read in Tim Shipman's All Out War was an observation by someone in No 10 that the referendum night was the only time they ever saw David Cameron use a computer.
    >
    > I thought he rather liked Angry Birds ? ;)

And this website apparently.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Another bromance bites the dust.
  • Options
    > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > Well.
    >
    > twitter.com/thetimes/status/1131151672762339329?s=21

Desk...head...thud thud thud.....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    > @brokenwheel said:
    > Who funds them?
    >
    > https://www.twitter.com/MediaGuido/status/1131169555991138304

Sorry, the electoral commission is too busy this week. Perhaps next week :smiley:
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Flair and elan possibly, but if there's anything that Boris Johnson has proved himself *not* to have between 2016 and now, and Gove's last splattering and now, it's distinction and intellect.
  • Options
    I don't know what it is but something irks me personally far more about Boris than either Farage or Corbyn.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    > @Chelyabinsk said:
    > > @Mysticrose said:
    > > Edit: thanks Richard @Richard_Tyndall
    > >
    > > As I was saying.
    > >
    > > @Mysticrose said:
    > >
    > > This has always been a mixed race nation, going back thousands of years. 'We ourselves' were seafaring and internationalist, conquering 1/3rd of the globe. And in many cases 'we' welcomed with open arms those from other countries.
    > >
    > > Britain is mixed race. Always has been. Always will be. Chasing after some nostalgic white Anglo-Saxon identity is fool's gold.
    > >
    > >
    > Indeed it is - the genetic roots of Britons actually go back to the original settlers of the islands (1), with Anglo-Saxon DNA present in only half the samples, and amounting to about 10 - 40% of their genome. The idea that 'Britain is mixed race' flies in the face of the distinct genetic clusters (2) which still make up the island, formed precisely because moment within Britain - let alone across the globe - was so rare until the very recent past.
    >
    > (1)http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530134-300-ancient-invaders-transformed-britain-but-not-its-dna/
    > (2)http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/14/britons-still-live-in-anglo-saxon-tribal-kingdoms-oxford-univers/

I am afraid that New Scientist article is very much now out of date.

To start with the end of the Neolithic/start of the Bronze Age was marked by an almost total extinction of the population and its replacement by a new group of settlers. According to the latest research over 90% of the population of the British Isles was wiped out within a generation - probably as a result of a plague - and replaced by the Beaker Culture.

If you can get hold of a copy then the paper on this is

"The Beaker phenomenon and the genomic transformation of northwest Europe" by Olalde et al published last year in Nature. There has been lots of coverage of it in places like New Scientist.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

> @isam said:

> His use of ‘our country’ is a quote from people arguing that religious people should be forced to make their children attend lessons that teach them stuff they find abominable.

With respect I said no such thing. I said it was of course okay for children in some areas to have a day off to celebrate Eid. Just as it would be for Diwali, or Yom Kippur, or Chinese New Year.

It was a positive point, not one built on a foundation of hate and anger.

I wasn’t talking about you
  • Options
    £ falling for a record thirteenth trading day running.
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > I don't know what it is but something irks me personally far more about Boris than either Farage or Corbyn.

Farage is more dangerous, but Johnson is even more dishonest, and particularly, disingenuous.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > I don't know what it is but something irks me personally far more about Boris than either Farage or Corbyn.

I don't like Boris much either. Again from All Out War, apparently one of the things that made Gove ditch him last time was that he remembers nothing. You'd have a conversation with him one day and then two days later it's like the conversation never happened.

Memory isn't a skill that tends to get talked about much. In fact, people often deride examinations as being memory tests. But I think it is important for a leader to be able to handle a fair amount of information - at least at a high level.
  • Options
    John_McLeanJohn_McLean Posts: 71
    > @malcolmg said:
    > The Huawei sanctions fallout is going to be considerable:
    >
    > ARM memo tells staff to stop working with China’s tech giant
    > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48363772
    > ...What is not yet clear is whether ARM is acting on its own interpretation of the US rules, or whether it has been advised by the Commerce Department.
    > "If that interpretation is correct, that’s going to affect every semiconductor company in the world,” remarked analyst Lee Ratliff, from IHS Markit....
    >
    > Be fun if China call in their debts and stop lending to USA

Plus selling off the many trillions of $US that they hold at discount. It will destroy the US economy and incidently destroy the US military by reducing its budget to miniscule levels. Trump will have accidentally introduced a peace dividend.
  • Options
    I think after a year (It's not my best result but not completely dire) of a Boris premiership people are going to be wishing back for the halycon days of May.
  • Options
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1131175303907348480
    >
    >
    >
    > https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1131175517464481792

A vote on a referendum was always coming, such an amendment being inevitable. Tory MPs need to calm down. That said, the media is all talking about a second vote now, and it is hard to believe May didn’t know that would be the inevitable consequence of her raising it in her speech. But it is rumoured she was blocked by cabinet from putting it on the face of the bill, and this is her revenge.

Another vote is starting to look inevitable. Quite a change in mood from the day I suggested we could end up here, back in early 2017, to the scorn of many PB’ers. If I could be bothered to look it would be fun to find that thread again.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @Chelyabinsk said:
    > > > @Mysticrose said:
    > > > Edit: thanks Richard @Richard_Tyndall
    > > >
    > > > As I was saying.
    > > >
    > > > @Mysticrose said:
    > > >
    > > > This has always been a mixed race nation, going back thousands of years. 'We ourselves' were seafaring and internationalist, conquering 1/3rd of the globe. And in many cases 'we' welcomed with open arms those from other countries.
    > > >
    > > > Britain is mixed race. Always has been. Always will be. Chasing after some nostalgic white Anglo-Saxon identity is fool's gold.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > Indeed it is - the genetic roots of Britons actually go back to the original settlers of the islands (1), with Anglo-Saxon DNA present in only half the samples, and amounting to about 10 - 40% of their genome. The idea that 'Britain is mixed race' flies in the face of the distinct genetic clusters (2) which still make up the island, formed precisely because moment within Britain - let alone across the globe - was so rare until the very recent past.
    > >
    > > (1)http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530134-300-ancient-invaders-transformed-britain-but-not-its-dna/
    > > (2)http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/14/britons-still-live-in-anglo-saxon-tribal-kingdoms-oxford-univers/
    >
    > I am afraid that New Scientist article is very much now out of date.
    >
    > To start with the end of the Neolithic/start of the Bronze Age was marked by an almost total extinction of the population and its replacement by a new group of settlers. According to the latest research over 90% of the population of the British Isles was wiped out within a generation - probably as a result of a plague - and replaced by the Beaker Culture.
    >
    > If you can get hold of a copy then the paper on this is
    >
    > "The Beaker phenomenon and the genomic transformation of northwest Europe" by Olalde et al published last year in Nature. There has been lots of coverage of it in places like New Scientist.

https://rdcu.be/bDIS5
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    > @IanB2 said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1131175303907348480
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1131175517464481792
    >
    > A vote on a referendum was always coming, such an amendment being inevitable. Tory MPs need to calm down. That said, the media is all talking about a second vote now, and it is hard to believe May didn’t know that would be the inevitable consequence of her raising it in her speech. But it is rumoured she was blocked by cabinet from putting it on the face of the bill, and this is her revenge.
    >
    > Another vote is starting to look inevitable. Quite a change in mood from the day I suggested we could end up here, back in early 2017, to the scorn of many PB’ers. If I could be bothered to look it would be fun to find that thread again.

I still just cant figure out how it is considered acceptable to ask again. What has become of us?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    > @IanB2 said:
    > £ falling for a record thirteenth trading day running.

Another Union Dividend.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    > @Pulpstar said:

I can imagine him being more gung ho about sending people into battle for the sake of his own image.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    What an incredibly stale discussion Brexit has become in the HoC.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    notme2 said:

I still just cant figure out how it is considered acceptable to ask again. What has become of us?

You mean a democracy?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    > @John_McLean said:
    > > @malcolmg said:
    > > The Huawei sanctions fallout is going to be considerable:
    > >
    > > ARM memo tells staff to stop working with China’s tech giant
    > > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48363772
    > > ...What is not yet clear is whether ARM is acting on its own interpretation of the US rules, or whether it has been advised by the Commerce Department.
    > > "If that interpretation is correct, that’s going to affect every semiconductor company in the world,” remarked analyst Lee Ratliff, from IHS Markit....
    > >
    > > Be fun if China call in their debts and stop lending to USA
    >
    > Plus selling off the many trillions of $US that they hold at discount. It will destroy the US economy and incidently destroy the US military by reducing its budget to miniscule levels. Trump will have accidentally introduced a peace dividend.

Except the debt is denominated almost entirely one would think in Dollars, for which the US Govt has the sole issuing rights. Sure bond yields might spike big time, and inflation might be horrible but but the Chinese could see the real value of the debt they hold inflate away. A touch of the old "you owe the bank £1000 you have a problem. You owe the bank £1million the bank has a problem."

The US simply cannot "run out" of US Dollars.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > I don't know what it is but something irks me personally far more about Boris than either Farage or Corbyn.
    >
    > I can imagine him being more gung ho about sending people into battle for the sake of his own image.

Farage and Corbyn believe in something other than themselves.
    Boris believes in one thing, Boris.
  • Options
    350 odd years is a good run as one of the consistent top two players in British politics I suppose - but everything must come to an end some day.
This discussion has been closed.