Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there was a betting market on the first Tory MP defecting t

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

On a completely unrelated note, I do wonder if the 2017 General Election wasn't actually a bit of masterstroke by Theresa May after all.

Not because she didn't win it, but because it moved the next General Election date from 2020 to 2022.
    Can you imagine the current chaos made even worse by the requirement to hold a General Election within twelve months?

I'm no fan of the current government, and think a GE is needed, but Theresa May's determination to neither hold a GE or a 2nd Ref, whilst keeping that can kicking is a strategy that could work in the current situation. If a GE was mandated next May 2020, she couldn't get to October and ask for another extension (which I think likely) as she'd be annihilated at the GE.

She's played a blinder..... well... sort of.

Our greatest prime minister since David Cameron.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2019
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Regional forecast for the Euros. Tiggers get 3 seats, due to most of their supporters in SE and SW. I think fhe forecast for the Greens is too low though. They always do well in the Euros.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1122572674272845825?s=19

Brexit Party forecast to win most MEPs in the South East, the South West, the East, the West Midlands and Yorkshire and Humber and tied with Labour in the East Midlands.

Labour forecast to win most MEPs in Wales, London and the North East and North West. The SNP forecast to win most MEPs in Scotland. No Tory MEPs forecast for Wales and the North East but the Tories do hold 1 MEP in Scotland
    I'd be amazed if Labour gets most votes in the East Midlands this time.
    Not sure Greens will lose a London seat.
    Definitely not, the Greens will do very well in London IMO. The Climate Change candidates will fail to make an impact.
    Why is Roger Hallam standing against Greens? Bonkers.
    He is not only standing against Greens but also against other Extinction Rebellion candidates, because they don't understand the voting system and nominated a string of independents instead of a list.
    Ah, splitters. :smiley:
    The seven Climate Change candidates are each paying £5,000 = £35,000 when they could have paid just £5,000 in total if they'd stood as a group.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Beto is 15 on BF.

I have had a nibble. Why is he so quiet? Is he out there running his famous retail ground game?

Worth a punt at those odds. But DYOR.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Regional forecast for the Euros. Tiggers get 3 seats, due to most of their supporters in SE and SW. I think fhe forecast for the Greens is too low though. They always do well in the Euros.

Brexit Party forecast to win most MEPs in the South East, the South West, the East, the West Midlands and Yorkshire and Humber and tied with Labour in the East Midlands.

Labour forecast to win most MEPs in Wales, London and the North East and North West. The SNP forecast to win most MEPs in Scotland. No Tory MEPs forecast for Wales and the North East but the Tories do hold 1 MEP in Scotland
    Definitely not, the Greens will do very well in London IMO. The Climate Change candidates will fail to make an impact.
    He is not only standing against Greens but also against other Extinction Rebellion candidates, because they don't understand the voting system and nominated a string of independents instead of a list.
    If he is on the ballot paper as an indie, then he is standing against the Greens (and every other named party/person).
    Yes, hence I said "not only", rather than "not".
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    edited April 2019

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I think they were too late to stand a list, but not too late to stand as independents.
    It's still farcically stupid to stand 9 candidates across 2 regions, and no candidates in any of the other regions, rather than, say, 1 candidate in each of 9 regions.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited April 2019
    'Boris Johnson is expected to be given a private audience with Donald Trump during his state visit to the UK.
    Friends of the US president say he is eager to meet Johnson whom he has previously described as a “friend”, during his visit to London from June 3 to 5 as part of a state visit to mark the 75 years since the D-Day landings.
    One option being explored is for Trump to host his own private dinner party on the night of his arrival at Winfield House, the US ambassador’s residence in London, where he will stay for the duration of his visit.'

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/donald-trump-to-dine-with-boris-johnson-during-uk-state-visit-vtc3wkr05?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0xDOGHP3QjDWY7MBCrx9Gj122PQYS8Y1ZcAvNdB9-aZM1Kw6tBA9rMxEk#Echobox=1556443935
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    HYUFD said:

twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1122640304757252097?s=20

George Osborne remembers those days..
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1122554670642290688

Right waging a culture war on the left....what the actual bollocks is he on about?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

How dumb can you be to not to research first how the European elections work - before wasting several thousand votes and diluting your chances of winning several times over.

And in doing so they have of course lengthened the ballot paper in London - thus wasting paper too!
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,796
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

That's a TBP MEP in Scotland.
    No, a Tory MEP but no TBP MEP in Scotland but a TBP MEP but no Tory MEP in Wales
    ?

Con MEPs

London: 1
    SE: 2
    SW: 1
    E: 2
    WM: 1
    EM: 1
    YH: 1
    NW: 1

= 10

Ergo none in Scotland. Funnily enough the two super-Europhiles survive.
    I think the dark blues are Tory and there is one in Scotland?

Those voting Tory in the European Parliament elections will be far more Remain than the 2017 Tory vote (given so many Tory Leavers will vote Brexit Party) and Tory Europhiles tend to be concentrated in London and the South East, hence benefiting more Europhile MEPs there
    Have a look at the Scottish sub-sample. The fifth and sixth seats look like a close fight between Lab, SNP and Con in that order. The Unionist v Indy tactical vote could switch the order to any combination. My feeling is the shy Tory vote, if it turns out, will be enough to push them ahead of the other two.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,898
    @isam mentioned James Burke earlier. Here is a lecture. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSAosNdSnNQ
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

‘Avengers: Endgame’ Breaks All Box Office Records With $1.2 Billion Opening

Marvel epic brings in $350 million domestic opening weekend, $100 million more than Infinity War‘s previous record

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/avengers-endgame-box-office-records-1-billion-opening-828389/

If Endgame doesn't sweep the Oscars next year then there's no justice in the world.

I haven't seen it. Is it as good as The Last Jedi?
    Or even as good as The Phantom Menace?
    What amazes me about many films is that they can spend so many millions on them, and yet have glaring problems that (with hindsight) are obvious.

I can understand that critics and filmgoers can be fickle, but there must be another reason. Too many writers? Famous directors/producers who cannot be challenged?

(ISTR a story that the first draft of Toy Story was terrible, before Tom Hanks told them that Woody wasn't a nice character?)
    It was completely rewritten by Joss Weedon of Buffy and Avengers fame. All the best quips and lines came from him.
    Thanks. I don't think I've see a Joss Weedon proggie/film I haven't enjoyed. He has the magic touch, for me at least.
    How do you feel about "Alien: Resurrection" and "Justice League"?
    Not seen them. ;)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Southwold. The beer isn't bad either. I like the Sole Bay. The food there is excellent. The pier is amazing. Recommend the crabbing world championships in Walberswick. Cycling is excellent (and flat).

I have a brother in law who works in the theatre and a sister in law and her husband who are actors, all of whom live there, so you are so right re the connections.

I am very jealous. I'd love to be able to go there more regularly. :)

I wonder if it hasn't suffered the frequent issues with places with large numbers of holiday homes (sorry!) because it's so near London. I've been there a fair few times out of season, and it never feels dead. Or perhaps it's the brewery giving it another string to its bow?

Oh, and there was a (near) seafront house - a tinny place - on the market for an extortionate amount according to my parents, who take a keen interest in house prices in places they visit!

Edit: think it was this one:
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/51146292
    Sorry away watching line of duty.

Prices are ridiculous and it is because of Londoners buying 2nd homes. The vast majority are in fact 2nd homes. So no need to apologise as we are very guilty. It is really for my wife. Her parents retired there (from Scotland). They are both now dead, but her siblings have moved there and our children love it and her nieces and nephews visit a lot so it is a home from home. Actually I think it is an excuse to get away from me. For me it is also best out of season. It has life without feeling like a resort. When it is packed I don't like it so much.

Where do you stay? Do you use the little cinema, or the theatre?
    Well, I've passed through when walking, otherwise stay at the campsite, or day trips, and this weekend we went to Henham Stables - a spectacular 'little' B&B just outside because the accommodation in town was fairly full. One of the best B&B#s we've ever stayed in.

(And it was free as well, as my parents are staying in the area - they love Southwold too - and they wanted us to join them.)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    RobD said:

They are probably trying to drive out journalists who make crap up.
    That's a long long list.
This discussion has been closed.