Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there was a betting market on the first Tory MP defecting t

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,358

ydoethur said:

‘Avengers: Endgame’ Breaks All Box Office Records With $1.2 Billion Opening

Marvel epic brings in $350 million domestic opening weekend, $100 million more than Infinity War‘s previous record

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/avengers-endgame-box-office-records-1-billion-opening-828389/

If Endgame doesn't sweep the Oscars next year then there's no justice in the world.

I haven't seen it. Is it as good as The Last Jedi?
    Or even as good as The Phantom Menace?
    What amazes me about many films is that they can spend so many millions on them, and yet have glaring problems that (with hindsight) are obvious.

I can understand that critics and filmgoers can be fickle, but there must be another reason. Too many writers? Famous directors/producers who cannot be challenged?

(ISTR a story that the first draft of Toy Story was terrible, before Tom Hanks told them that Woody wasn't a nice character?)
    It was completely rewritten by Joss Weedon of Buffy and Avengers fame. All the best quips and lines came from him.
    Thanks. I don't think I've see a Joss Weedon proggie/film I haven't enjoyed. He has the magic touch, for me at least.
    It's a shame they re-made Serenity without any spaceships or a sci-fi setting :(
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Marvel epic brings in $350 million domestic opening weekend, $100 million more than Infinity War‘s previous record

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/avengers-endgame-box-office-records-1-billion-opening-828389/

If Endgame doesn't sweep the Oscars next year then there's no justice in the world.

Even the Phantom Menace had a more cohesive screenplay than The Last Straw!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,724
    An omen for a Parliament struggling with getting over the finish line?

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1122494406370701315?s=19
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,075
    edited April 2019
    78% in Spain

176 needed for a majority

PSOE 123
    PP 65
    Cs 57
    Podemos 35
    Vox 24
    ERC 15
    ECP 7
    JxCAT 7
    EAJ 6
    EH Bildu 4
    NA+2
    CCa 2
    Compromis 2019 1
    PRC 1
    CpM 1

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Lots of local election activity here in St Albans as always since we elect in thirds. Each ward has all 4 parties standing (C, L, LD, G) with one independent in one ward. There is also a double vacancy in Sopwell a LD and L marginal.

Lots of Labour and LD posters and I have spotted a lone Conservative poster near the station.

Conservatives are due to lose control following their good set of results 4 years ago.

I've had one leaflet (for Labour) and I've seen one poster (for Labour) in Hednesford while driving around the district. If it wasn't for PB, I might not have known there were elections this time around.
    One big LibDem orange diamond in its usual spot the only sign I have seen of elections in Totnes.
    HYUFD won't like this, but the only election sign-board I saw yesterday on the bus ride from Epping to North Weald was one for the LibDems!
    We were in Southwold this weekend, and a fair few Lib Dems and one Conservative (although there were about a dozen in that window). No Labour that I saw.

Then again, it's near Walberswick, and half of the BBC seem to live there!
    In my experience the Tories almost never win the poster war unless in very rural areas, LD and Labour voters tend to be more keen to display their allegiance than Tory voters. In any case posters are useful for morale but not much more than that, canvassing, leaflets and increasingly social media are more important in reaching target voters
    I used to work a Midlands marginal where the LibDems would out-poster the Tories 30-1, but still came third.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Lots of local election activity here in St Albans as always since we elect in thirds. Each ward has all 4 parties standing (C, L, LD, G) with one independent in one ward. There is also a double vacancy in Sopwell a LD and L marginal.

Lots of Labour and LD posters and I have spotted a lone Conservative poster near the station.

Conservatives are due to lose control following their good set of results 4 years ago.

I've had one leaflet (for Labour) and I've seen one poster (for Labour) in Hednesford while driving around the district. If it wasn't for PB, I might not have known there were elections this time around.
    One big LibDem orange diamond in its usual spot the only sign I have seen of elections in Totnes.
    HYUFD won't like this, but the only election sign-board I saw yesterday on the bus ride from Epping to North Weald was one for the LibDems!
    We were in Southwold this weekend, and a fair few Lib Dems and one Conservative (although there were about a dozen in that window). No Labour that I saw.

In my experience the Tories almost never win the poster war unless in very rural areas, LD and Labour voters tend to be more keen to display their allegiance than Tory voters. In any case posters are useful for morale but not much more than that, canvassing, leaflets and increasingly social media are more important in reaching target voters
    I used to work a Midlands marginal where the LibDems would out-poster the Tories 30-1, but still came third.
    Indeed, the LDs always like to say they are 'winning here' even when they aren't!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Indeed, the LDs always like to say they are 'winning here' even when they aren't!
    LibDems - Spinning Here!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Regional forecast for the Euros. Tiggers get 3 seats, due to most of their supporters in SE and SW. I think fhe forecast for the Greens is too low though. They always do well in the Euros.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1122572674272845825?s=19
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

LibDems - Spinning Here!
    You can say that again
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

ydoethur said:

What amazes me about many films is that they can spend so many millions on them, and yet have glaring problems that (with hindsight) are obvious.

I can understand that critics and filmgoers can be fickle, but there must be another reason. Too many writers? Famous directors/producers who cannot be challenged?

(ISTR a story that the first draft of Toy Story was terrible, before Tom Hanks told them that Woody wasn't a nice character?)
    It was completely rewritten by Joss Weedon of Buffy and Avengers fame. All the best quips and lines came from him.
    Thanks. I don't think I've see a Joss Weedon proggie/film I haven't enjoyed. He has the magic touch, for me at least.
    I agree entirely. He is one of the few directors/scriptwriters with whom I would say their name on the credits is enough on its own to get me into the cinema. The only others I can think of would be Edgar Wright, Denis Villeneuve or the Coen Brothers.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Regional forecast for the Euros. Tiggers get 3 seats, due to most of their supporters in SE and SW.

Tories hit 10% :lol:
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,310
    As tipped here earlier by yours truly
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,729
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

Well, yes, I did get that far, although I never have read the Sun (I've bought a copy once, in my whole life. The shop had run out of firelighters). I wondered a bit about the second sentence though. Since you accused me of posting rubbish, and I was agreeing with you, were you doing a Nehru on your own post?

That was just for colour.

But clearly wrong side of the blue. So end of break.
    @ydoethur
    I'd love that your firelighter tale was true. I've never bought a copy of the Sun. (I once did buy a copy of the Star, just the once though). I've read the Mirror perhaps twice, but never bought a copy. The Express I've read perhaps five times. I've never bought a copy of the Daily Mail, but I've read many (that was the paper my parents bought).

It is.

(I wouldn't even have bought it then if it hadn't been the only paper left.)
    A guy in the office back in the 80s used to buy it.

Notably Piers Morgan used to be their gossip columnist, which I thought was, and still is, a fair assessment of both him, and the Sun.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,097
    Another Labour MP backing a people’s vote.

https://twitter.com/dianajohnsonmp/status/1122531556445380608?s=21
  • Options

Foxy said:

Regional forecast for the Euros. Tiggers get 3 seats, due to most of their supporters in SE and SW.

10 seats, 15%.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

Well, yes, I did get that far, although I never have read the Sun (I've bought a copy once, in my whole life. The shop had run out of firelighters). I wondered a bit about the second sentence though. Since you accused me of posting rubbish, and I was agreeing with you, were you doing a Nehru on your own post?

That was just for colour.

But clearly wrong side of the blue. So end of break.
    @ydoethur
    I'd love that your firelighter tale was true. I've never bought a copy of the Sun. (I once did buy a copy of the Star, just the once though). I've read the Mirror perhaps twice, but never bought a copy. The Express I've read perhaps five times. I've never bought a copy of the Daily Mail, but I've read many (that was the paper my parents bought).

It is.

(I wouldn't even have bought it then if it hadn't been the only paper left.)
    A guy in the office back in the 80s used to buy it.

Notably Piers Morgan used to be their gossip columnist, which I thought was, and still is, a fair assessment of both him, and the Sun.

I read The Sun most weeks, in the coffee room at work. The Op Ed stuff is crap, but the sports coverage is pretty good. It's OK, though I have rarely heard of the "celebreties" in the news.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Foxy said:

Regional forecast for the Euros. Tiggers get 3 seats, due to most of their supporters in SE and SW. I think fhe forecast for the Greens is too low though. They always do well in the Euros.

Brexit Party forecast to win most MEPs in the South East, the South West, the East, the West Midlands and Yorkshire and Humber and tied with Labour in the East Midlands.

Labour forecast to win most MEPs in Wales, London and the North East and North West. The SNP forecast to win most MEPs in Scotland. No Tory MEPs forecast for Wales and the North East but the Tories do hold 1 MEP in Scotland
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    edited April 2019
    Foxy said:

Greens may get squeezed by LDs and ChUK though - must be close to missing out altogether on those figures, perhaps because they aren't quite as obviously an anti-Brexit vote, compared with the LDs and ChUK.

It's a great poll for Farage, of course, but not all that different to the UKIP lead last time (which startled us all but makes this result look less dramatic). I suspect the media will concentrate on the Brexit/Labour duel for the lead and the Tory collapse as it's a simpler story than unpicking the smaller party shares. I wonder if the Tory strategy will be to basically write off these elections, with minimal spending and a shrug.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Brexit Party forecast to win most MEPs in the South East, the South West, the East, the West Midlands and Yorkshire and Humber and tied with Labour in the East Midlands.

Labour forecast to win most MEPs in Wales, London and the North East and North West. The SNP forecast to win most MEPs in Scotland. No Tory MEPs forecast for Wales and the North East but the Tories do hold 1 MEP in Scotland and there are forecast to be 2 Tory MEPs in London but only 1 Tory MEP in the South East and South West as the Tories
    Early days, but the concentration of Tiggers in the regions with lower thresholds may help quite a bit.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    An absolutely disastrous night for PP in Spain. It has lost 50% of its seats and 50% of its vote. Vox has moved forward, but it’s not the result it hoped for. All rather wonderful, really.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Greens may get squeezed by LDs and ChUK though - must be close to missing out altogether on those figures, perhaps because they aren't quite as obviously an anti-Brexit vote, compared with the LDs and ChUK.

It's a great poll for Farage, of course, but not all that different to the UKIP lead last time (which startled us all but makes this result look less dramatic). I suspect the media will concentrate on the Brexit/Labour duel for the lead and the Tory collapse as it's a simpler story than unpicking the smaller party shares. I wonder if the Tory strategy will be to basically write off these elections, with minimal spending and a shrug.
    Greens do well in the Euros, and with the current awareness of climate change will do well IMO. They are also pretty likely to turnout.

The Faragists do have a slight edge, but very possible for Labour to win. There may be some value there depending how the campaign goes. In the EM the Labour top 2 seem sound.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

An absolutely disastrous night for PP in Spain. It has lost 50% of its seats and 50% of its vote. Vox has moved forward, but it’s not the result it hoped for. All rather wonderful, really.

Good result for the left, no doubt about it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

10 seats, 15%.
    Ooops, got a little carried away there :)
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

Yes, fantastic news from Spain that really puts the hole in the ‘right are marching through Europe’ bucket.

They got their arses kicked.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    Foxy said:

Campaigning for the EU elections hasn't really started yet though.

Things will really crank up after the locals and you'll see Farage and BP getting stronger and stronger over the next three weeks...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The centre-left. PSOE has been dismissed as being neo-liberal, centrist and finished by the Corbynistas. They backed Podemos. Which has also lost seats and vote share.

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2019
    95% counted

PS 122 seats
    PP 65
    Citzens 57
    Podemos 42
    Vox 24
    ERC (Catalonia Republican Left) 15
    JXCAT (Together for Catalonia) 7
    PNV (Basque Nationalists) 6
    Eh BILDU (Basque Country United) 5
    CCA - PNC (Canarias Nationalist Party) 2
    NA+ 2
    Compromis (Valencians) 1
    PRC (Regionalist Party of Cantabria= 1
    CPM (Coalition for Melilla) 1
  • Options

Yes, wonderful the hard right Vox has gone from 0.2% to 10%
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Yes, fantastic news from Spain that really puts the hole in the ‘right are marching through Europe’ bucket.

The hard left Podemos is down, the hard right Vox is up.

The centre left PSOE is up, the centre right PP is down
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Podemos is down 25 seats
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Labour forecast to win most MEPs in Wales, London and the North East and North West. The SNP forecast to win most MEPs in Scotland. No Tory MEPs forecast for Wales and the North East but the Tories do hold 1 MEP in Scotland
    That's a TBP MEP in Scotland.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

No, a Tory MEP but no TBP MEP in Scotland but a TBP MEP but no Tory MEP in Wales
  • Options

AndyJS said:

The centre-left. PSOE has been dismissed as being neo-liberal, centrist and finished by the Corbynistas. They backed Podemos. Which has also lost seats and vote share.

It is a good result for the centre-left, the liberals and the hard right, a bad result for the centre-right and hard left.

PSOE are probably closer to CUK or the LDs now than Corbyn Labour
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Greens do well in the Euros, and with the current awareness of climate change will do well IMO. They are also pretty likely to turnout.

The Faragists do have a slight edge, but very possible for Labour to win. There may be some value there depending how the campaign goes. In the EM the Labour top 2 seem sound.
    The Greens only just polled ahead of the Lib Dems in 2014 when the Liberals were in Coalition. Much as I'd like to see them do well they have a lot of work to do to hold onto the seats they have.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The combined vote share for Leave parties has crept up as Leavers' certainty to vote approaches Remainers'.

On the Remain side, do you back Labour, to stop Brexit topping the poll, but at the risk of wasting the votes of anti-Brexit parties? Or do you back the anti-Brexit parties to maximise their representation, but then push Labour into second place?

On the Leave side, this is more of a glorified opinion poll, so the pressure will be to ensure that Brexit comes first.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

No, a Tory MEP but no TBP MEP in Scotland but a TBP MEP but no Tory MEP in Wales
    ?

Con MEPs

London: 1
    SE: 2
    SW: 1
    E: 2
    WM: 1
    EM: 1
    YH: 1
    NW: 1

= 10

Ergo none in Scotland. Funnily enough the two super-Europhiles survive.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    BREX-EFDD: 28% (+5)
    LAB-S&D: 22%
    CON-ECR: 13% (-4) <- Fucked.
    GP-G/EFA: 10%
    ChUK-*/EPP: 10% (+2)
    LDEM-ALDE: 7% (-2)
    UKIP-ENF: 5% (-1)
    SNP/PC-G/EFA: 5% (+1)
  • Options
    Tannock is out with that projection. Or do you have another in mind for the Tory Europhile top 2? I would have thought about Karim and Tannock

HYUFD said:

<
    Con MEPs

= 10

• Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

?

Con MEPs

= 10

I think the dark blues are Tory and there is one in Scotland?

Those voting Tory in the European Parliament elections will be far more Remain than the 2017 Tory vote (given so many Tory Leavers will vote Brexit Party) and Tory Europhiles tend to be concentrated in London and the South East, hence benefiting more Europhile MEPs there
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SNP/PC-G/EFA: 5% (+1)</p>

How high will the Brexit party go? :D
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658

kjh said:

Southwold. The beer isn't bad either. I like the Sole Bay. The food there is excellent. The pier is amazing. Recommend the crabbing world championships in Walberswick. Cycling is excellent (and flat).

I have a brother in law who works in the theatre and a sister in law and her husband who are actors, all of whom live there, so you are so right re the connections.

I am very jealous. I'd love to be able to go there more regularly. :)

I wonder if it hasn't suffered the frequent issues with places with large numbers of holiday homes (sorry!) because it's so near London. I've been there a fair few times out of season, and it never feels dead. Or perhaps it's the brewery giving it another string to its bow?

Oh, and there was a (near) seafront house - a tinny place - on the market for an extortionate amount according to my parents, who take a keen interest in house prices in places they visit!

Edit: think it was this one:
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/51146292
    Sorry away watching line of duty.

Prices are ridiculous and it is because of Londoners buying 2nd homes. The vast majority are in fact 2nd homes. So no need to apologise as we are very guilty. It is really for my wife. Her parents retired there (from Scotland). They are both now dead, but her siblings have moved there and our children love it and her nieces and nephews visit a lot so it is a home from home. Actually I think it is an excuse to get away from me. For me it is also best out of season. It has life without feeling like a resort. When it is packed I don't like it so much.

Where do you stay? Do you use the little cinema, or the theatre?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The combined vote share for Leave parties has crept up as Leavers' certainty to vote approaches Remainers'.

On the Remain side, do you back Labour, to stop Brexit topping the poll, but at the risk of wasting the votes of anti-Brexit parties? Or do you back the anti-Brexit parties to maximise their representation, but then push Labour into second place?

On the Leave side, this is more of a glorified opinion poll, so the pressure will be to ensure that Brexit comes first.
    I think Lab will get two seats in the EM, and unlikely to make 3, so planning to vote Green. With a bit of luck will wipe out the Tories here.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,894

ydoethur said:

How do you feel about "Alien: Resurrection" and "Justice League"?
  • Options
    thecommissionerthecommissioner Posts: 165
    edited April 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Yougov kindly regionalised their 5000+ poll - a quick estimate looks like:

Brexit 28 MEPs
    Lab 19
    Con 9
    SNP 4
    Green 4
    CUK 3
    LD 3
    UKIP 0
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Podemos is down 25 seats
    So I guess they'll rename themselves Podríamos?

(That joke may not work - I speak French and Portuguese, but I am guessing a bit with Spanish.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

It is a good result for the centre-left, the liberals and the hard right, a bad result for the centre-right and hard left.

I could tell you why you’re wrong, but I don’t think you’d accept it so I won’t bother. I’ll just enjoy the result!

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

I imagine it is like everyone being locked in to starting World War 1 by train timetables; if it becomes obvious to everyone that a film is going to be crap after you've only made 20% of it, it is still easier and cheaper to make the remaining 80% of it rather than chicken out and shut it down. Must be depressing.
    It's not that uncommon these days. IIRC Pixar and Disney have abandoned nearly-completed films. Also directors can be fired and/or reshoots can be done. Everybody knows about "Fatal Attraction" but "World War Z" had its entire third act reshot and radically reqwitten.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

I imagine it is like everyone being locked in to starting World War 1 by train timetables; if it becomes obvious to everyone that a film is going to be crap after you've only made 20% of it, it is still easier and cheaper to make the remaining 80% of it rather than chicken out and shut it down. Must be depressing.
    It's not that uncommon these days. IIRC Pixar and Disney have abandoned nearly-completed films. Also directors can be fired and/or reshoots can be done. Everybody knows about "Fatal Attraction" but "World War Z" had its entire third act reshot and radically reqwitten.
    Pretty Woman had terrible audience reaction in the early screening where they went their spearate ways. So they had to go shoot the glorious cheesy ending....and the rest, as they say....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Higher than the Tories.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Higher than the Tories.
    Already done :p
  • Options

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Pretty Woman had terrible audience reaction in the early screening where they went their spearate ways. So they had to go shoot the glorious cheesy ending....and the rest, as they say....
    I'd forgotten about that one. :(
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I think Lab will get two seats in the EM, and unlikely to make 3, so planning to vote Green. With a bit of luck will wipe out the Tories here.
    Yet the Brexit Party forecast to get 2 MEPs in the EM as the price of that
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Tannock is out with that projection. Or do you have another in mind for the Tory Europhile top 2? I would have thought about Karim and Tannock

Sorry you're right, I was getting London no.1 & 2 wrong way round.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

?

Con MEPs

= 10

I think the dark blues are Tory and there is one in Scotland?
    Nope it's light blue, it just looks darker on a yellow background. This shouldn't be surprising since all the recent polls have had TBP ahead of Cons in Scotland.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I could tell you why you’re wrong, but I don’t think you’d accept it so I won’t bother. I’ll just enjoy the result!

Factually nothing I said was wrong, the centre left PSOE, the liberal Cs, the hard right Vox all up on 2016, the centre right PP and hard left Podemos are both down
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The Greens only just polled ahead of the Lib Dems in 2014 when the Liberals were in Coalition. Much as I'd like to see them do well they have a lot of work to do to hold onto the seats they have.
    I also think that the motivation for green supporters to vote Labour will be low, Green issues are in the news and they are pro EU, I think there is a real upside for the Greens
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

The hard left Podemos is down, the hard right Vox is up.

The centre left PSOE is up, the centre right PP is down
    Overall a good night for the sane left in Spain.

Interesting.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Factually nothing I said was wrong, the centre left PSOE, the liberal Cs, the hard right Vox all up on 2016, the centre right PP and hard left Podemos are both down

OK!

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The Conservatives deservedly trounced in the Spanish elections . Trying to suck up to the far right has cost them dear .

Great night for PSOE, a victory for hope over hate . The so called massive surge in the far right once again being overplayed by the media who are desperate to push this narrative . 10% is hardly earth shattering .
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The Conservatives deservedly trounced in the Spanish elections . Trying to suck up to the far right has cost them dear .

Great night for PSOE, a victory for hope over hate . The so called massive surge in the far right once again being overplayed by the media who are desperate to push this narrative . 10% is hardly earth shattering .

10% may not match Lega Nord levels in Italy but Spain was the last major European nation not to have a far right party in its Parliament, that has changed today and Vox will have representation in the Cortes
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    nico67 said:

You realise that the percentages of the voting blocks are little changed? The major difference is that the right split into relatively equal factions so that it punished them in terms of seats in a multi-region D'Hondt system.

Funnily enough this is not that dissimilar to what is happening to remainers in the EP elections...
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Can anyone name a good reason to vote Tory in the euro elections?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

Because they like Mays Deal?
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,507
    edited April 2019

As a lifelong Tory voter I must admit I'm struggling.
    Edit: I must admit to having supported TB in '97 as I thought the Tories were exhausted and needed renewal. Didn't trust him then, and felt I was subsequently proven correct. Oh well.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

10% may not match Lega Nord levels in Italy but Spain was the last major European nation not to have a far right party in its Parliament, that has changed today and Vox will have representation in the Cortes
    All that’s happened is the Conservative vote has fractured with the Spanish UKIPers having a party to vote for rather than the PP.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

To ensure that anti-EU parties win a majority of the seats under D'Hondt.
  • Options
    Amazing how quick they’ve managed to count all these votes in Spain.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

OK!

Hey Mr SO. Is there any chance of a PSOE C's coalition? They have the numbers . C's must be regretting their lurch to the right.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

All that’s happened is the Conservative vote has fractured with the Spanish UKIPers having a party to vote for rather than the PP.

And the rise of the hard right cost the centre right while the centre left was able to squeeze the hard left
  • Options
    isam said:

Well that's two votes in the bag then......
  • Options

isam said:

Well that's two votes in the bag then......
    I’d say it was worth putting her Deal front & centre of any campaign they bother with, to see how it goes down. As far as we know it’s only MPs that don’t like it, and it’s a fact that they aren’t representative of the public on Brexit
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    edited April 2019

Used to happen to books too. Great Expectations had two endings, I believe, and The Forsyte Saga is said to have had one where Fleur gets Jon - Galsworthy was persuaded that that encouraged immorality. (Hazy about details here, don't quote me!)
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

How do you feel about "Alien: Resurrection" and "Justice League"?
    Alien Resurrection was excellent until the last 20 minutes and it is well known that the studio had the ending rewritten and it was substantially different to Whedon's plans. Justice League wasn't Whedon's film. He was just brought in to make the dialogue a bit more punchy because Snyder's characters were turgid.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    isam said:

Is that what they call a niche market?
  • Options
    99.65% counted

PS up at 123 and EH BILDU down to 4. Rest as it was

• Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713
    On a completely unrelated note, I do wonder if the 2017 General Election wasn't actually a bit of masterstroke by Theresa May after all.

Not because she didn't win it, but because it moved the next General Election date from 2020 to 2022.
    Can you imagine the current chaos made even worse by the requirement to hold a General Election within twelve months?

I'm no fan of the current government, and think a GE is needed, but Theresa May's determination to neither hold a GE or a 2nd Ref, whilst keeping that can kicking is a strategy that could work in the current situation. If a GE was mandated next May 2020, she couldn't get to October and ask for another extension (which I think likely) as she'd be annihilated at the GE.

She's played a blinder..... well... sort of.
  • Options
    A terrible night for the PP in Spain. Maybe a foretaste of what will happen to the Tories at the Euro elections.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I'd be amazed if Labour gets most votes in the East Midlands this time.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

TPM introduced the characters, gave them motives, established tension with the identity of the antagonist, had a big battle scene, Darth Maul, and the best John Williams track "Duel of the Fates" of the franchise. TPM is a rubbish movie but it makes sense as a story. Lucas is very good at stories.[1] TLJ just arsed around.

[1] Hes's just very very bad at dialogue... :(
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Not sure Greens will lose a London seat.
  • Options
    Floater said:

isam said:

Is that what they call a niche market?
    I think the case could be made that we don’t know. All we know is that MPs don’t like it, but they are not the public, who have never been asked. It might be worth the Tories making the Euros a proxy vote for Mays deal
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

TPM introduced the characters, gave them motives, established tension with the identity of the antagonist, had a big battle scene, Darth Maul, and the best John Williams track "Duel of the Fates" of the franchise. TPM is a rubbish movie but it makes sense as a story. Lucas is very good at stories.[1] TLJ just arsed around.

There was a great tweet the other day where someone was expressing hope that the trade route taxation dispute might finally be resolved in the upcoming movie. :D
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I also think that the motivation for green supporters to vote Labour will be low, Green issues are in the news and they are pro EU, I think there is a real upside for the Greens
    I agree. Greens will do better than expected in the two coming elections.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Definitely not, the Greens will do very well in London IMO. The Climate Change candidates will fail to make an impact.
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

There was a great tweet the other day where someone was expressing hope that the trade route taxation dispute might finally be resolved in the upcoming movie. :D
    :)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Definitely not, the Greens will do very well in London IMO. The Climate Change candidates will fail to make an impact.
    Why is Roger Hallam standing against Greens? Bonkers.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

:)
    Makes Brexit negotiations look trivial. Although if we had Jedi negotiators things might have gone a bit better. :D
  • Options
    They are probably trying to drive out journalists who make crap up.
  • Options
    Breaking resignation news...
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

He is not only standing against Greens but also against other Extinction Rebellion candidates, because they don't understand the voting system and nominated a string of independents instead of a list.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

He is not only standing against Greens but also against other Extinction Rebellion candidates, because they don't understand the voting system and nominated a string of independents instead of a list.
    I think they were too late to stand a list, but not too late to stand as independents.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

If he is on the ballot paper as an indie, then he is standing against the Greens (and every other named party/person).
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I think they were too late to stand a list, but not too late to stand as independents.
    Why? Are the Greens not sufficiently against climate change? Madness.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Ah, splitters. :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.