Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there was a betting market on the first Tory MP defecting t

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,315

ydoethur said:

‘Avengers: Endgame’ Breaks All Box Office Records With $1.2 Billion Opening

Marvel epic brings in $350 million domestic opening weekend, $100 million more than Infinity War‘s previous record

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/avengers-endgame-box-office-records-1-billion-opening-828389/

If Endgame doesn't sweep the Oscars next year then there's no justice in the world.

I haven't seen it. Is it as good as The Last Jedi?
    A billion cubed times better than The Last Jedi.
    OK, so I don't need to bother watching it. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    PP's candidate said it has been a hard fought race, fought with enthusiasm. Which is usually what you say when you think you will lose...
  • Options
    Same day polls suggest Spain ungovernable.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Spain

Voting closes 7pm BST mainland, 8pm Canaries

Turnout up 10% at 1800 v 2016, +11 Madrid, almost +20 in Catalonia

Links:

http://www.rtve.es/directo/canal-24h/

https://www.resultados.eleccionesgenerales19.es/Inicio/es

https://resultados.elpais.com/elecciones/generales.html

https://www.elmundo.es/elecciones/elecciones-generales/resultados

https://europeelects.eu/2019/04/26/live-blog-2019-spanish-elections/

Not sure there will be exit polls, vote count results likely delayed until Canaries close.

Thanks and hope you're all well!

DC

At least some Spanish commentators seem to think there might be exit polls (or same day polls) out soon
    There's no exit poll, there's at least 3 polls conducted in the last few days which will be released.
  • Options

PP's candidate said it has been a hard fought race, fought with enthusiasm. Which is usually what you say when you think you will lose...

That makes it sound as thought they spent their time attacking enthusiasm.
  • Options
    @PSOE 116-121
    @populares 69-73
    @CiudadanosCs 48-49
    @ahorapodemos 42-45
    @vox_es 36-38

175 needed. PSOE could enter minority gov with Podemos, if this is the result.
  • Options
    Surrey have this afternoon suffered the worst humiliation imaginable.

They have lost a cricket match to Glamorgan.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Thanks to Sheffield's Billy Root.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126
    ydoethur said:

madmacs said:

ydoethur said:

(about polarisation, not about Quedgeley, which I have never heard of, but am willing to believe that it is a shithole since it is not in London or Scotland).

There are places in London that are not shitholes? Where?

(By the way, might it have occurred to you that I was being ironic?)
    ydoethur said:

(about polarisation, not about Quedgeley, which I have never heard of, but am willing to believe that it is a shithole since it is not in London or Scotland).

Just for education for London centrics. Quedgeley is a new suburb of the great Western City of Gloucester. Not saying it has any great attarctions but certainly not a shithole
    To be exact, it is a very old village with a redundant airfield attached swallowed up by a series of developments from the 1960s to the 2010s (which may politely be termed unexceptional) in the south of the Severn Valley city of Gloucester.

I would have said the only really attractive part of it was the canal towpath.

Edit - it does of course have the south west Snooker Academy. But that's about it.
    If you have the south west Snooker Academy do you need anything else?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Thanks to Sheffield's Billy Root.
    They definitely had a BRootal pounding.

But they have been consistently, awesomely bad in one day cricket all season. At the moment you wouldn't back them to beat Penkridge.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

madmacs said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Just for education for London centrics. Quedgeley is a new suburb of the great Western City of Gloucester. Not saying it has any great attarctions but certainly not a shithole
    To be exact, it is a very old village with a redundant airfield attached swallowed up by a series of developments from the 1960s to the 2010s (which may politely be termed unexceptional) in the south of the Severn Valley city of Gloucester.

I would have said the only really attractive part of it was the canal towpath.

Edit - it does of course have the south west Snooker Academy. But that's about it.
    If you have the south west Snooker Academy do you need anything else?
    I don't know, I live in Staffordshire. What else do people need?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,075

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Francois, Baker etc would only likely defect to the Brexit Party if we get to October with the WA not passed and May asks for a further extension rather than preparing for No Deal and the EU agrees. If Kate Hoey is deselected not impossible she could defect to the Brexit Party too

Neither support the WA though. I think both want to hang around and have a say in who succeeds her - whatever Baker might have said about no confidence votes.
    They support No Deal, if come October May extends again rather than goes for No Deal that could trigger Tory to Brexit Party defections
    Won’t happen. If the WA hasn’t passed by October, the EU will force us out with no deal. May stopped the no deal preparations to try and frighten those opposed to no deal into supporting her deal. That won’t happen either.
    The EU won't, Tusk has been quite clear in effect the EU will happily extend for ever.

We only leave with No Deal if May asks for another extension if Macron vetoes
    Might not be only Macron come October but thats the issue. Tusk can’t speak for the EU on a further extension. It requires the unanimous consent of all r27 members. Can’t see countries like Spain, Holland, Belgium being supporters of further extension.
    All the above, certainly Holland, supported further extension. Macron was the main one holding out against extension to next year until he eventually agreed a compromise
    Last time, sure, not necessarily next time. Spain will want Gibraltar raised, Belgium wants more EU integration, Holland has lost its principal ally on EU reform and is very anti-UK at the moment as a result.
    Holland is not anti UK, Rutte is May's closest European ally bar maybe Sebastian Kurz
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    PSOE first but all parties well short of 176 needed for a majority, will be close as to whether PSOE/Podemos or PP/Citizens/Vox get most seats.

Vox enters the Spanish Parliament for the first time as Spain becomes the latest nation to see the rise of the nationalist right
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,354

ydoethur said:

Marvel epic brings in $350 million domestic opening weekend, $100 million more than Infinity War‘s previous record

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/avengers-endgame-box-office-records-1-billion-opening-828389/

If Endgame doesn't sweep the Oscars next year then there's no justice in the world.

I actually liked Infinity War.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:
    Crunching these poll numbers a little, the Centre-left have 168 and the centre-right 162. The key here are the Republican Left of Catalonia who may have won 14 seats which would give the centre-left bloc a majority in the Cortes.

It's a dreadful result for PP, far and away their worst for decades, poor for Podemos as well but Citizens have done okay. The real winners are PSOE and VOX.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,725

ydoethur said:

A bit of a hulking re-assembly, I thought.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

A bit of a hulking re-assembly, I thought.
    You're actually making a pun out of the Avengers. Incredible...

• Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Lots of local election activity here in St Albans as always since we elect in thirds. Each ward has all 4 parties standing (C, L, LD, G) with one independent in one ward. There is also a double vacancy in Sopwell a LD and L marginal.

Lots of Labour and LD posters and I have spotted a lone Conservative poster near the station.

Conservatives are due to lose control following their good set of results 4 years ago.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

And one wonders why support for the EU in the remaining 27 has gone up!

The positivity ratings for the EU in Italy, France and Cyprus are moving into the same vicinity as 2016 Britain, while the Greek figures are worse than our Brexit ones.

Twelve, mostly NW European national electorates are against further enlargement, while 26 of the EU28 regard immigration as the biggest issue for the EU.

It looks as though any remain in nations like these is built on fear, not fondness. They presumably cling to hopes of reform, which will be reflected in the collapse of MEP representation from the 2014 mainstream from those places.

NW Europe/Scandinavia is against enlargement and is pre-occupied with member finances; the east loves freedom of movement (except Romania, who are the least positive nation in the 28) but seemingly only if it comes with caveats around ethnicity and religious culture, whilst club Med remains dogged by unemployment and economic woes.

There appears to be a difference between the EU they hope for,and the EU they have. The May elections are going to be their chance to change that.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:
    Crunching these poll numbers a little, the Centre-left have 168 and the centre-right 162. The key here are the Republican Left of Catalonia who may have won 14 seats which would give the centre-left bloc a majority in the Cortes.

It's a dreadful result for PP, poor for Podemos as well but Citizens have done okay. The real winners are PSOE and VOX.

I would advise caution on this exit poll. They are not always as accurate as they have been recently in the UK - and because of the voting system small changes in vote share can mean quite big changes in seats. That said, if this is accurate, PSOE and Podemos between them should be able to form a government with support from regional parties and abstentions from others. For PP this is an absolute disaster - if confirmed.

• Options

Lots of local election activity here in St Albans as always since we elect in thirds. Each ward has all 4 parties standing (C, L, LD, G) with one independent in one ward. There is also a double vacancy in Sopwell a LD and L marginal.

Lots of Labour and LD posters and I have spotted a lone Conservative poster near the station.

Conservatives are due to lose control following their good set of results 4 years ago.

I've had one leaflet (for Labour) and I've seen one poster (for Labour) in Hednesford while driving around the district. If it wasn't for PB, I might not have known there were elections this time around.
  • Options
    Oops, I'm tired, I meant to say Endgame is a billion to the power billion times better than The Last Jedi.
  • Options

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

It's a dreadful result for PP, poor for Podemos as well but Citizens have done okay. The real winners are PSOE and VOX.

I would advise caution on this exit poll. They are not always as accurate as they have been recently in the UK - and because of the voting system small changes in vote share can mean quite big changes in seats. That said, if this is accurate, PSOE and Podemos between them should be able to form a government with support from regional parties and abstentions from others. For PP this is an absolute disaster - if confirmed.

They aren't true exit polls so I agree - even though all three (indeed all four published today) are pretty much in line.

Arguably a poor result all round, with the PSOE unable to form a preferred coalition, PP down significantly, Cs unable to capitalise and Vox doing OK but not breaking the mould of Spanish politics here (though their result, in particular, is difficult to predict, weight for, and convert into seats)
  • Options

Oops, I'm tired, I meant to say Endgame is a billion to the power billion times better than The Last Jedi.

A billion to the power billion of zero is still zero.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984

A billion to the power billion? Impressive.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873

stodge said:

I would agree - the initial polls always underestimate the PP vote but the balance between PSOE/Podemos on one side and PP/Citizens/VOX on the other probably won't change a lot. Watching the Spanish TV they put a few of the "others" on each side to come up with the 168-162 advantage to the centre-left bloc but the Republican Left of Catalonia and their expected 14 seats would take the centre-left bloc past the majority.

As you say though, it's likely that IF PSOE/Podemos are in the high 160s that will be enough for them to govern.

• Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Francois, Baker etc would only likely defect to the Brexit Party if we get to October with the WA not passed and May asks for a further extension rather than preparing for No Deal and the EU agrees. If Kate Hoey is deselected not impossible she could defect to the Brexit Party too

Neither support the WA though. I think both want to hang around and have a say in who succeeds her - whatever Baker might have said about no confidence votes.
    They support No Deal, if come October May extends again rather than goes for No Deal that could trigger Tory to Brexit Party defections
    Won’t happen. If the WA hasn’t passed by October, the EU will force us out with no deal. May stopped the no deal preparations to try and frighten those opposed to no deal into supporting her deal. That won’t happen either.
    The EU won't, Tusk has been quite clear in effect the EU will happily extend for ever.

Might not be only Macron come October but thats the issue. Tusk can’t speak for the EU on a further extension. It requires the unanimous consent of all r27 members. Can’t see countries like Spain, Holland, Belgium being supporters of further extension.
    All the above, certainly Holland, supported further extension. Macron was the main one holding out against extension to next year until he eventually agreed a compromise
    Last time, sure, not necessarily next time. Spain will want Gibraltar raised, Belgium wants more EU integration, Holland has lost its principal ally on EU reform and is very anti-UK at the moment as a result.
    Holland is not anti UK, Rutte is May's closest European ally bar maybe Sebastian Kurz
    Was - not is.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,280
    ydoethur said:

Since the Tories were increasingly and overtly Eurosceptic before Blair, it is wrong.

In fact, the increasingly Eurosceptic tone on the right goes back to Delors in the 1980s.

Up yours mate. Can't believe you post such rubbish.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    RobD said:

A billion to the power billion? Impressive.
    I'm completely googolplexed.

In the world of numbers and universes it seems that one should resent the shit out of Mssr '1'. However infinity is a funny thing. I'm hoping 42 turns out to be the arse!

• Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

I would agree - the initial polls always underestimate the PP vote but the balance between PSOE/Podemos on one side and PP/Citizens/VOX on the other probably won't change a lot. Watching the Spanish TV they put a few of the "others" on each side to come up with the 168-162 advantage to the centre-left bloc but the Republican Left of Catalonia and their expected 14 seats would take the centre-left bloc past the majority.

As you say though, it's likely that IF PSOE/Podemos are in the high 160s that will be enough for them to govern.

If the poll is accurate, one noteworthy point is that PP + Vox in 2019 is lower than PP alone in 2016 on vote share, while PSOE + Podemos is pretty much what it was last time. There’s been no move to the hard/far right.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Since the Tories were increasingly and overtly Eurosceptic before Blair, it is wrong.

In fact, the increasingly Eurosceptic tone on the right goes back to Delors in the 1980s.

Up yours mate. Can't believe you post such rubbish.
    Just to be clear - I was agreeing with you!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:
    I did wonder whether the person bigging up Rebecca Long-Bailey earlier today might be jumping the gun somewhat.

Edit - although the article may be rubbish. It doesn't know Sir Keir Starmer has a knighthood, which is a fairly simple error...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Was - not is.
    No still is, Rutte backed the EU line of further extension unlike Macron
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Famous Sun headline "Up Yours Delors" - massive respect if you have managed to avoid Sun headlines over the years.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Was - not is.
    Indeed he did but that’s because he needs new allies in the r27. He has been increasingly hostile to Britain and about both Britain and May publicly since Brexit.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Famous Sun headline "Up Yours Delors" - massive respect if you have managed to avoid Sun headlines over the years.
    Well, yes, I did get that far, although I never have read the Sun (I've bought a copy once, in my whole life. The shop had run out of firelighters). I wondered a bit about the second sentence though. Since you accused me of posting rubbish, and I was agreeing with you, were you doing a Nehru on your own post?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Was - not is.
    Indeed he did but that’s because he needs new allies in the r27. He has been increasingly hostile to Britain and about both Britain and May publicly since Brexit.
    He has not been hostile to Britain at all, nor May particularly, the fact he thinks Britain will be diminished by leaving the EU is a different matter. He has no enthusiasm for a UK less EU unlike Macron
  • Options
    Btw, that wasn't an exit poll but a 12K or so sample opinion poll taken in last few days.

Regional projections include PSOE winning Galicia for first time ever, Podemos leading in Balearics and Vox winning N African enclave of Ceuta.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Was - not is.
    He has not been hostile to Britain at all, nor May particularly, the fact he thinks Britain will be diminished by leaving the EU is a different matter. He has no enthusiasm for a UK less EU unlike Macron
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/14/dutch-pm-on-brexit-uk-waning-country-too-small-stand-alone-mark-rutte

https://www.politico.eu/article/mark-rutte-likens-theresa-may-to-monty-pythons-limbless-knight/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Well, yes, I did get that far, although I never have read the Sun (I've bought a copy once, in my whole life. The shop had run out of firelighters). I wondered a bit about the second sentence though. Since you accused me of posting rubbish, and I was agreeing with you, were you doing a Nehru on your own post?

That was just for colour.

But clearly wrong side of the blue. So end of break.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Ah, I see.

In case anyone was wondering, my Nehru reference was to this article:

https://caravanmagazine.in/vantage/want-no-caesars-nehrus-warning

I don't think being wrong side of the blue need be end of break. Fire it in and out of baulk. As long as you miss the Greens, you should finish on a red.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Was - not is.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/14/dutch-pm-on-brexit-uk-waning-country-too-small-stand-alone-mark-rutte

https://www.politico.eu/article/mark-rutte-likens-theresa-may-to-monty-pythons-limbless-knight/
    Which does not contradict anything I just said
  • Options
    A second exit poll in Spain has a result very similar to the first one ...

https://twitter.com/spajw/status/1122573893276000257?s=21
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129
    ydoethur said:

I've had one leaflet (for Labour) and I've seen one poster (for Labour) in Hednesford while driving around the district. If it wasn't for PB, I might not have known there were elections this time around.
    One big LibDem orange diamond in its usual spot the only sign I have seen of elections in Totnes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Was - not is.

Which does not contradict anything I just said
    We’ll have to agree to disagree.
  • Options
    So Labour's position is "give us the CU - and we won't need the second referendum." Hmmm.....
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Main movement it seems Podemos to PSOE and PP to Vox and Citizens
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited April 2019
    2 stories which deserve comment (unless they have already been discussed, in which case apologies)

Opioid painkillers 'must carry prominent warnings'

Interesting as a demonstration of how the official line on a scientific issue can change overnight. Until this morning the official position on the "soft" opioids was that fears of addiction were misplaced, provided you were taking the drugs for pain relief and under medical supervision*. Now, overnight, it turns out that we are at war with Eastasia. Exponents of the ludicrous "97% of scientists agree..." school of thought should take note.

* I have never understood why either of those things should affect the question. I am here to tell you that tramadol is addictive as fuck.

Indonesia election: More than 270 election staff die counting votes

270 dead, 1878 ill out of the 7 million people involved in counting votes of an electorate of 193 million cast at >800,000 polling stations. I find every single one of those figures quite extraordinary.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

One big LibDem orange diamond in its usual spot the only sign I have seen of elections in Totnes.
    No ChUK signs up, then. Doesn’t bode well for Wollaston.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    kinabalu said:

@ydoethur
    I'd love that your firelighter tale was true. I've never bought a copy of the Sun. (I once did buy a copy of the Star, just the once though). I've read the Mirror perhaps twice, but never bought a copy. The Express I've read perhaps five times. I've never bought a copy of the Daily Mail, but I've read many (that was the paper my parents bought).

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    El Pais exit poll

PS 116-121
    PP 69-73
    CS 48-49
    Podemos 42-45
    Vox 36-38
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

@ydoethur
    I'd love that your firelighter tale was true. I've never bought a copy of the Sun. (I once did buy a copy of the Star, just the once though). I've read the Mirror perhaps twice, but never bought a copy. The Express I've read perhaps five times. I've never bought a copy of the Daily Mail, but I've read many (that was the paper my parents bought).

It is.

(I wouldn't even have bought it then if it hadn't been the only paper left.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

On this poll PSOE + Podemos is up on the 2016 vote share, while Vox + PP is down on the PP share. If it is right there’s been a move from the hard right to the centre right and to the left.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

270 dead, 1878 ill out of the 7 million people involved in counting votes of an electorate of 193 million cast at >800,000 polling stations. I find every single one of those figures quite extraordinary.

And you ain't alone in that...
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I see your Indonesia and raise you an India:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-47825366
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

On this poll PSOE + Podemos is up on the 2016 vote share, while Vox + PP is down on the PP share. If it is right there’s been a move from the hard right to the centre right and to the left.

The PP is centre right not hard right, Vox is hard right and is in the Spanish Parliament for the first time with 11 or 12% of the vote.

PSOE and Podemos combined got 43.8% in 2016, on the second exit poll tonight they are on 44.4%, virtually unchanged
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,724
    edited April 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

2 stories which deserve comment (unless they have already been discussed, in which case apologies)

Opioid painkillers 'must carry prominent warnings'

Interesting as a demonstration of how the official line on a scientific issue can change overnight. Until this morning the official position on the "soft" opioids was that fears of addiction were misplaced, provided you were taking the drugs for pain relief and under medical supervision*. Now, overnight, it turns out that we are at war with Eastasia. Exponents of the ludicrous "97% of scientists agree..." school of thought should take note.

* I have never understood why either of those things should affect the question. I am here to tell you that tramadol is addictive as fuck.

Anyone who has watched the opiod epidemic in the USA over the last two decades knows how addictive these are. Our system doesn't have the same pill mill problems, or senior citizens selling on their prescriptions to addicts, or at least not to the same degree. Opiods, substantially prescription ones, now kill more Americans than either road traffic accidents or guns. Hancock is right to try to nip it in the bud here.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/25/americas-opioid-crisis-how-prescription-drugs-sparked-a-national-trauma
  • Options
    You can follow the actual results in Spain here:

https://resultados.eleccionesgenerales19.es/Inicio/es
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The PP is centre right not hard right, Vox is hard right and is in the Spanish Parliament for the first time with 11 or 12% of the vote

Nope, PP has moved well to the right under Casado.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

I don't think being wrong side of the blue need be end of break. Fire it in and out of baulk. As long as you miss the Greens, you should finish on a red.

That was wise of Nehru. Others should take a leaf.

It always is end of break for me. Missing the Greens is the problem. If I don't hit one I always smash into one of the others.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

PSOE and Podemos combined got 43.8% in 2016, on the second exit poll tonight they are on 44.4%, virtually unchanged and with Podemos down over 4% on 2016 and Vox up 11% you could equally say there has been a shift from hard left to hard right
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The PP is centre right not hard right, Vox is hard right and is in the Spanish Parliament for the first time with 11 or 12% of the vote

The PP are in the EPP with the CDU and Les Republicains in the European Parliament, they are not hard right.

Vox are natural allies of the AfD and Le Pen and Salvini and Lega Nord
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

That was wise of Nehru. Others should take a leaf.

It always is end of break for me. Missing the Greens is the problem. If I don't hit one I always smash into one of the others.
    I usually find much more inventive ways to end my breaks. My personal favourite was when I literally knocked the white off the table by accident.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

No ChUK signs up, then. Doesn’t bode well for Wollaston.
    Still early for EU elections though.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD won't like this, but the only election sign-board I saw yesterday on the bus ride from Epping to North Weald was one for the LibDems!
  • Options
    edited April 2019

ydoethur said:

HYUFD won't like this, but the only election sign-board I saw yesterday on the bus ride from Epping to North Weald was one for the LibDems!
    Probably in Epping Hemnall where the LDs have 2/3 of the district councillors and always plaster the ward with posters (one of our posters there was nicked last week, I do have one on my flat window though).

In Epping Lindsey and Thornwood we have posters coming into and out of the town
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The PP are in the EPP with the CDU and Les Republicains in the European Parliament, they are not hard right.

Vox are natural allies of the AfD and Le Pen and Salvini and Lega Nord.

OK :-D

• Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Probably in Epping Hemnall where the LDs have 2/3 of the district councillors (one of our posters there was nicked last week).

It was on Station Road, not sure which ward that is.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2019
    Spain — latest results:

https://www.resultados.eleccionesgenerales19.es/Congreso/Total-nacional/0/es

Edit: I see Southam has just posted the same link.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,052

ydoethur said:

We were in Southwold this weekend, and a fair few Lib Dems and one Conservative (although there were about a dozen in that window). No Labour that I saw.

Then again, it's near Walberswick, and half of the BBC seem to live there!
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Probably in Epping Hemnall where the LDs have 2/3 of the district councillors (one of our posters there was nicked last week).

It was on Station Road, not sure which ward that is.
    Hemnall, just down the road from me.

Quite a nice road, last year we had a poster in Station Road but we are not this year because of Brexit
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Spain — latest results:

https://www.resultados.eleccionesgenerales19.es/Congreso/Total-nacional/0/es

Edit: I see Southam has just posted the same link.

There’s a brilliant App, too.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658

ydoethur said:

We were in Southwold this weekend, and a fair few Lib Dems and one Conservative (although there were about a dozen in that window). No Labour that I saw.

We have just bought a holiday home there. Lovely place.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

In my experience the Tories almost never win the poster war unless in very rural areas, LD and Labour voters tend to be more keen to display their allegiance than Tory voters. In any case posters are useful for morale but not much more than that, canvassing, leaflets and increasingly social media are more important in reaching target voters
  • Options
    VOX not looking great comapred to expectations earlier. Not 100% sure but seems like a lot of uncounted votes in Madrid (only slightly better than VOX nationally) and Barcelona (opposite)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Or even as good as The Phantom Menace?
  • Options
    kjh said:

ydoethur said:

Southwold or Walberswick?

Southwold is, for me, the perfect seaside town. A classic-style promenade pier with some quirky amusements, a sandy beach, a lighthouse, and a fishing harbour with all the accoutrements you'd expect and cafes and pubs that don't mind you entering with muddy boots. Not overly commercial, and not too busy, either.

And for the rail enthusiasts, the ghosts of an old narrow-gauge steam railway.

Heaven. My son loved it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

In my experience the Tories almost never win the poster war unless in very rural areas, LD and Labour voters tend to be more keen to display their allegiance than Tory voters. In any case posters are useful for morale but not much more than that, canvassing, leaflets and increasingly social media are more important in reaching target voters
    I can see that - but in a couple of recent cases, the Conservatives who do put up the posters do so rather in excess!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited April 2019
    Given the expected turnout for the Local Elections, it would seem likely that a good third of the votes have already been cast by post.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658

kjh said:

ydoethur said:

Southwold or Walberswick?

Southwold is, for me, the perfect seaside town. A classic-style promenade pier with some quirky amusements, a sandy beach, a lighthouse, and a fishing harbour with all the accoutrements you'd expect and cafes and pubs that don't mind you entering with muddy boots. Not overly commercial, and not too busy, either.

And for the rail enthusiasts, the ghosts of an old narrow-gauge steam railway.

Heaven. My son loved it.
    Southwold. The beer isn't bad either. I like the Sole Bay. The food there is excellent. The pier is amazing. Recommend the crabbing world championships in Walberswick. Cycling is excellent (and flat).

I have a brother in law who works in the theatre and a sister in law and her husband who are actors, all of whom live there, so you are so right re the connections.

• Options

ydoethur said:

What amazes me about many films is that they can spend so many millions on them, and yet have glaring problems that (with hindsight) are obvious.

I can understand that critics and filmgoers can be fickle, but there must be another reason. Too many writers? Famous directors/producers who cannot be challenged?

(ISTR a story that the first draft of Toy Story was terrible, before Tom Hanks told them that Woody wasn't a nice character?)
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2019
    60% counted in Spain

PS 124 seats
    PP 65
    Citzens 57
    Podemos 42
    Vox 23
    ERC (Catalonia Republican Left) 15
    JXCAT (Together for Catalonia) 7
    PNV (Basque Nationalists) 6
    Eh BILDU (Basque Country United) 4
    CCA - PNC (Canarias Nationalist Party) 2
    NA+ 2
    Compromis (Valencians) 1
    PRC (Regionalist Party of Cantabria= 1
    CPM (Coalition for Melilla) 1
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

ydoethur said:

What amazes me about many films is that they can spend so many millions on them, and yet have glaring problems that (with hindsight) are obvious.

I can understand that critics and filmgoers can be fickle, but there must be another reason. Too many writers? Famous directors/producers who cannot be challenged?

(ISTR a story that the first draft of Toy Story was terrible, before Tom Hanks told them that Woody wasn't a nice character?)
    It was completely rewritten by Joss Weedon of Buffy and Avengers fame. All the best quips and lines came from him.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

I can see that - but in a couple of recent cases, the Conservatives who do put up the posters do so rather in excess!
    To be a Tory willing to display a poster then you are probably very enthusiastic!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    kjh said:

Southwold. The beer isn't bad either. I like the Sole Bay. The food there is excellent. The pier is amazing. Recommend the crabbing world championships in Walberswick. Cycling is excellent (and flat).

I have a brother in law who works in the theatre and a sister in law and her husband who are actors, all of whom live there, so you are so right re the connections.

I am very jealous. I'd love to be able to go there more regularly. :)

I wonder if it hasn't suffered the frequent issues with places with large numbers of holiday homes (sorry!) because it's so near London. I've been there a fair few times out of season, and it never feels dead. Or perhaps it's the brewery giving it another string to its bow?

Oh, and there was a (near) seafront house - a tinny place - on the market for an extortionate amount according to my parents, who take a keen interest in house prices in places they visit!

Edit: think it was this one:
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/51146292
  • Options
    It's not looking good for the PP at the moment. With 63.52% in, they only have a 1.43% lead over the Cs.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

VOX not looking great comapred to expectations earlier. Not 100% sure but seems like a lot of uncounted votes in Madrid (only slightly better than VOX nationally) and Barcelona (opposite)

Vox on 10% at the moment with 66% in, not much different to earlier expectations, same with Citizens on 15% or PP on 16.6%.

PSOE on 29% a bit better at the moment than projections and Podemos on 11% a bit worse
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Given the expected turnout for the Local Elections, it would seem likely that a good third of the votes have already been cast by post.

I may have to vote Labour because it would be the only way of registering a protest vote against the Tories in my ward.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It was completely rewritten by Joss Weedon of Buffy and Avengers fame. All the best quips and lines came from him.
    Thanks. I don't think I've see a Joss Weedon proggie/film I haven't enjoyed. He has the magic touch, for me at least.
  • Options

60% counted in Spain

PS 124 seats
    PP 65
    Citzens 57
    Podemos 42
    Vox 23
    NA+ 2
    Compromis (Valencians) 1

Could ERC and JXCAT demand an independence referendum for Catalonia as their price for supporting a PSOE government? PSOE and Podemos alone still not enough for a majority
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

HYUFD said:

Lol sometimes it's the way you tell them SO.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351

60% counted in Spain

PS 124 seats
    PP 65
    Citzens 57
    Podemos 42
    Vox 23
    NA+ 2
    Compromis (Valencians) 1

Minor footnote: I see the animal rights party PACMA got over 1%, more than several of the parties which won seats, but didn't get in - presumably that's because they were thinly spread and the regional parties only have to score well in one region?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

ydoethur said:

I imagine it is like everyone being locked in to starting World War 1 by train timetables; if it becomes obvious to everyone that a film is going to be crap after you've only made 20% of it, it is still easier and cheaper to make the remaining 80% of it rather than chicken out and shut it down. Must be depressing.
This discussion has been closed.