Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On healthcare Farage, Trump’s British cheerleader, is vulnerab

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    edited April 2019
    And dither again as usual since Sturgeon knows until we actually Leave the EU Yes has no chance of winning indyref2 and even if we do their only real chance comes with No Deal
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    edited April 2019
    brendan16 said:

‘far less crime then"

Pull the other one.’

In 1939 there were around 304,000 reported crime incidents in England and Wales. In 2017 there were 10.7 million according to the Home office.

Now I accept the definitions changed a bit, we didn’t have online crime then or as widespread drug use and maybe people didn’t report crimes as much back in 1939 but I expect that doesn’t account for the entire 30 fold plus rise.

I doubt the figures for London were that different relatively.

Of course if you can provide evidence crime levels are lower now than in 1939 be my guest.

The only sensible way of tracking crime over reasonable period is the British Crime Survey. You ask 25,000 people every year whether they have been the victim of a crime, and if so what kind of crime was it.

Only in this way can you track the extent to which real people feel they are the victims of real crimes.

That being said, there will still be societal changes. I remember one character in a Dorothy L Sayers novel saying "he's my man, he's got a right to hit me", which is not a sentiment you often hear expressed these days.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    HYUFD said:

It could if the House of Commons revoked Article 50, in fact just getting to 40% and around 80% of Leave voters voting Brexit Party could see Farage and the Brexit Party win a majority under FPTP

It would be interesting to see what happens though.

My Tory MP is a Brexiteer. If he stood as a Brexit party candidate, against a Tory, I am not sure who might win the seat.

Fucking Farage could end up just splitting the Brexit vote, which would be amusing.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    I suppose that’s why we want out of Europe three out of four of one team are from continental Europe. I say university challenge is for the brits not the bloody euopeans!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Half their voters fuck off too

Yes, have of us have gone. And will not return while they embrace Nigel Fucking Farage.
    Why the ‘Fucking’ every time?
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    nichomar said:

If they voted for brexit they could easily vote Farage

So I suppose on the flip side to this the Lib Dems could win the next election on the basis of there being enough remain votes to win any election we've had (outside of the EU referendum)
  • Options

nichomar said:

So I suppose on the flip side to this the Lib Dems could win the next election on the basis of there being enough remain votes to win any election we've had (outside of the EU referendum)
    If Remain won a 2nd referendum and every other party was complicit in preventing the vote being honoured I’d say they had a decent chance
  • Options
    OK, as we're talking about the prospects of the Brexit party, there are a couple of questions:

1. Will the Brexit party manage a more efficient vote distribution than UKIP did in 2015. Remember then? Despite getting almost twice the vote share of the LibDems, they got only one seat, and that of a defector by a tiny margin.

2. Will the Brexit party be tactical voting friendly, or unfriendly? In other words, would Remainers tactically vote to stop the Brexit Party? (Alternatively, will they collect Labour Leavers looking to unseat Tories? Or will they be seen by Labour Leavers as Tories in Farage clothing?)

I think the issue that the Brexit Party has is that, especially without good local operations, then their vote is likely to be pretty inefficiently spread. It took the Alliance/LibDems almost 15 years from 1982 to 1997 to start successfully concentrating their vote. And that was despite an existing base of activists.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

brendan16 said:

‘far less crime then"

Pull the other one.’

In 1939 there were around 304,000 reported crime incidents in England and Wales. In 2017 there were 10.7 million according to the Home office.

Now I accept the definitions changed a bit, we didn’t have online crime then or as widespread drug use and maybe people didn’t report crimes as much back in 1939 but I expect that doesn’t account for the entire 30 fold plus rise.

Of course if you can provide evidence crime levels are lower now than in 1939 be my guest.

The only sensible way of tracking crime over reasonable period is the British Crime Survey. You ask 25,000 people every year whether they have been the victim of a crime, and if so what kind of crime was it.

Only in this way can you track the extent to which real people feel they are the victims of real crimes.

That being said, there will still be societal changes. I remember one character in a Dorothy L Sayers novel saying "he's my man, he's got a right to hit me", which is not a sentiment you often here expressed these days.
    There is a problem with the BCS which is that it is done on the cheap and many MR companies won’t compete because they don’t believe it can be done effectively at the desired price.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm sure Farage could beat his previous attempts but I just can't see him coming near winning a majority in a general election. It would require him replacing the Conservatives and Labour seriously splitting in one election IMO. At best he would make a breakthrough and get seats into high double figures but I'm highly sceptical on that.

People said the same about the SNP before the 2015 general election and looked what happened then.

Remember a majority of Tory voters and a majority of Labour seats voted Leave, if the House of Commons then proceeded to revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit Leave voters will be so disgusted with the political establishment they will try anything to register that disgust, including voting Brexit Party
    If Farage could get everyone who voted for Brexit to vote for him in a general election then he could win. That won't happen though.
    It could if the House of Commons revoked Article 50, in fact just getting to 40% and around 80% of Leave voters voting Brexit Party could see Farage and the Brexit Party win a majority under FPTP
    That isn't going to happen. Most people are not fixated by Brexit.
  • Options

nichomar said:

If only that were true
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    isam said:

nichomar said:

If Remain won a 2nd referendum and every other party was complicit in preventing the vote being honoured I’d say they had a decent chance
    Surely the problem would be it wouldn't be the right type of remaining for some and others would see the remain offered as actually being Brexit.

If remain won a referendum and Labour offered remain but the Lib Dems were demanding Remain + Euro as respecting the result I don't think that would do much for them...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, half of us have gone. And will not return while they embrace Nigel Fucking Farage.
    Less than 10% of 2017 Tories have gone to Labour, the LDs or CUK combined since the general election according to Yougov and almost cancelled out anyway by those going the other way, 24% of 2017 Tories have gone to the Brexit Party and UKIP though. You do the maths
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994
    rcs1000 said:

OK, as we're talking about the prospects of the Brexit party, there are a couple of questions:

1. Will the Brexit party manage a more efficient vote distribution than UKIP did in 2015. Remember then? Despite getting almost twice the vote share of the LibDems, they got only one seat, and that of a defector by a tiny margin.

2. Will the Brexit party be tactical voting friendly, or unfriendly? In other words, would Remainers tactically vote to stop the Brexit Party? (Alternatively, will they collect Labour Leavers looking to unseat Tories? Or will they be seen by Labour Leavers as Tories in Farage clothing?)

I think the issue that the Brexit Party has is that, especially without good local operations, then their vote is likely to be pretty inefficiently spread. It took the Alliance/LibDems almost 15 years from 1982 to 1997 to start successfully concentrating their vote. And that was despite an existing base of activists.

I still go back to the more fundamental point I made earlier which is that however good their ground game or their spread, they are still seen as being a single issue party which would not be considered by any other than a small minority of being suitable to run the country. Even their name implies it. They are about Brexit and that is it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm sure Farage could beat his previous attempts but I just can't see him coming near winning a majority in a general election. It would require him replacing the Conservatives and Labour seriously splitting in one election IMO. At best he would make a breakthrough and get seats into high double figures but I'm highly sceptical on that.

People said the same about the SNP before the 2015 general election and looked what happened then.

Remember a majority of Tory voters and a majority of Labour seats voted Leave, if the House of Commons then proceeded to revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit Leave voters will be so disgusted with the political establishment they will try anything to register that disgust, including voting Brexit Party
    If Farage could get everyone who voted for Brexit to vote for him in a general election then he could win. That won't happen though.
    Just as most Scots were not fixated by independence in 2015?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I totally agree. In reality, Brexit will not prove to be the dominant issue of any election campaign - any more than was the case in 2017.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

rcs1000 said:

brendan16 said:

‘far less crime then"

Pull the other one.’

That being said, there will still be societal changes. I remember one character in a Dorothy L Sayers novel saying "he's my man, he's got a right to hit me", which is not a sentiment you often here expressed these days.
    There is a problem with the BCS which is that it is done on the cheap and many MR companies won’t compete because they don’t believe it can be done effectively at the desired price.
    It's done by Kantar, which is a serious and well regrded market research organisation.

There are sensible criticisms of the BCS:

1. It omits certain types of crime, such as identity theft, which are increasingly prevalent and can be equally bad for the victim as burglary.

2. It caps* the number of incidences of a particular type of crime per person at five. The reason for this is because otherwise domestic violence accounts for the vast bulk of recorded assault (with many victims recorded fifty of more incidences). In the interests of increasing transparency, they should record both sets of numbers.

* This has always been the case, so I can understand the reason why they don't want to change it because it makes current figures uncomprable with historics.
  • Options

isam said:

nichomar said:

Surely the problem would be it wouldn't be the right type of remaining for some and others would see the remain offered as actually being Brexit.

If remain won a referendum and Labour offered remain but the Lib Dems were demanding Remain + Euro as respecting the result I don't think that would do much for them...
    No, it would need to be Remain + Euro + Schengen to pull the votes in.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I totally agree. In reality, Brexit will not prove to be the dominant issue of any election campaign - any more than was the case in 2017.
    In 2017 May was promising a hard Brexit, Corbyn was also promising to respect the Brexit vote, we are now at the stage we may not get Brexit at all
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    rcs1000 said:

brendan16 said:

‘far less crime then"

Pull the other one.’

That being said, there will still be societal changes. I remember one character in a Dorothy L Sayers novel saying "he's my man, he's got a right to hit me", which is not a sentiment you often hear expressed these days.
    You're going to the wrong S&M clubs.....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Can’t see them coming close, but in 2015 UKIP were up against a Tory party who liked their leader and pulled out all the stops to deny UKIP, whereas now they are split 3 ways, so a few more seats per million votes might be available
  • Options

isam said:

nichomar said:

The lib dems would never demand joining the euro now even if they once did, we're quite happy with Germany ++ that is their relationship without joining Schengen, euro and keeping our rebate.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, have of us have gone. And will not return while they embrace Nigel Fucking Farage.
    Why the ‘Fucking’ every time?
    Oh don't stop him. Its the most original thing he has ever said on PB.
  • Options

isam said:

nichomar said:

Actually that implies I think the Brexit Party have a decent chance of winning a GE, and I don’t really. But as the LDs have been a party of government, and have the infrastructure etc, if those conditions were in place they’d have a chance
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In 2017 May was promising a hard Brexit, Corbyn was also promising to respect the Brexit vote, we are now at the stage we may not get Brexit at all
    It was still not what voters wished to talk about - other than the obsessives on each side.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

nichomar said:

rcs1000 said:

brendan16 said:

‘far less crime then"

Pull the other one.’

It's done by Kantar, which is a serious and well regrded market research organisation.

There are sensible criticisms of the BCS:

1. It omits certain types of crime, such as identity theft, which are increasingly prevalent and can be equally bad for the victim as burglary.

2. It caps* the number of incidences of a particular type of crime per person at five. The reason for this is because otherwise domestic violence accounts for the vast bulk of recorded assault (with many victims recorded fifty of more incidences). In the interests of increasing transparency, they should record both sets of numbers.

* This has always been the case, so I can understand the reason why they don't want to change it because it makes current figures uncomprable with historics.
    Willing to talk about my experiences off line
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see them coming close, but in 2015 UKIP were up against a Tory party who liked their leader and pulled out all the stops to deny UKIP, whereas now they are split 3 ways, so a few more seats per million votes might be available
    Sure, it might get them half a dozen seats. But - irony of ironies - their rise at the expense of the Tories probably hands Richmond, St Ives and 8 or 9 other seats to the LibDems.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You defeat your own argument. If Brexit was such an issue the LibDems should have polled north of 30% due to desperate remainers. They didn't because those voters voted on other issues, not Brexit.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It was still not what voters wished to talk about - other than the obsessives on each side.
    That is because Brexit was promised to be delivered, if MPs now revoke Brexit and cancel Article 50 Leave voters will surge to the Brexit Party
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

2017 offered the voters no choice on Brexit from the two big parties. There wasn't a fag paper between them. Not sure the next one will be the same.....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Sure, it might get them half a dozen seats. But - irony of ironies - their rise at the expense of the Tories probably hands Richmond, St Ives and 8 or 9 other seats to the LibDems.
    Put the European elections totals of 27% Brexit Party, 22% for Labour and 15% Tory from Yougov into Electoral Calculus and UKIP/Brexit Party gets 289 seats and the Tories just 4

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=15&LAB=22&LIB=10&UKIP=27&Green=8&NewLAB=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Put the European elections totals of 27% Brexit Party, 22% for Labour and 15% Tory from Yougov into Electoral Calculus and UKIP/Brexit Party gets 289 seats and the Tories just 4

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=15&LAB=22&LIB=10&UKIP=27&Green=8&NewLAB=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017
    That Brexit/SNP coalition isn't looking very stable.....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You defeat your own argument. If Brexit was such an issue the LibDems should have polled north of 30% due to desperate remainers. They didn't because those voters voted on other issues, not Brexit.
    Those voters largely voted Labour as they mistakenly believed Corbyn would reverse Brexit or at least commit to stay in the single market, hence now Labour has also fallen below 30% in some polls while the LDs, the Greens and the SNP and CUK are up
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

That Brexit/SNP coalition isn't looking very stable.....
    A Labour, LD, SNP coalition would be required to keep Farage out, he could probably then just wait for the inevitable
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I suppose if pig brains can be revived 4 hours after death, then technically May could breathe new life into talks with Labour, but...
  • Options
    Farage is an arb for next PM w Ladbrokes and Coral
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Those voters largely voted Labour as they mistakenly believed Corbyn would reverse Brexit or at least commit to stay in the single market, hence now Labour has also fallen below 30% in some polls while the LDs, the Greens and the SNP and CUK are up
    I think you give Brexit too much prominence in the minds of voters. I guess we'll see at the next GE.
  • Options

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

2017 offered the voters no choice on Brexit from the two big parties. There wasn't a fag paper between them. Not sure the next one will be the same.....
    It was never a core salient issue for most people, which is why people responded to Corbyn when he raised other matters.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why do you think Labour has lost 10% of its vote over a similar period May has lost much of her party?

I'm sorry to break it to you but many of the 40-odd percent Labour got in 2017 aren't into 'real socialism', that demographic isn't large enough. A large proportion is remainers who chose the least worst option to prevent a Conservative majority.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

You do know that that won't happen, right?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

rcs1000 said:

I still go back to the more fundamental point I made earlier which is that however good their ground game or their spread, they are still seen as being a single issue party which would not be considered by any other than a small minority of being suitable to run the country. Even their name implies it. They are about Brexit and that is it.
    Brexit Party is perfect for the Euros at the expense of being damaging for a GE - but if it gets Farage re-elected as an MEP then it's job done.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

The share of the vote or the number of seats?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think you give Brexit too much prominence in the minds of voters. I guess we'll see at the next GE.
    The argument on the merits of leaving the EU or not is no longer the issue, the new move is to focus on the parliamentarians who have refused to accept the result
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    rcs1000 said:

The Leave vote is notably less concentrated than the Remain vote, so in principle the prospects for a new Remain party (TIG) would be better on that basis than a new Leave party (Brexit), but I suspect that the Brexit party could demonstrate that concentration of the vote is not the determinant factor.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,774
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The argument on the merits of leaving the EU or not is no longer the issue, the new move is to focus on the parliamentarians who have refused to accept the result
    Cash, Bone, Francois and co will be in trouble then.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    NOM 4/5... Hypothetical poll following methinks

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.136297311

Decent arb w Coral and Lads again, who go EVS
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why do you think Labour has lost 10% of its vote over a similar period May has lost much of her party?

I'm sorry to break it to you but many of the 40-odd percent Labour got in 2017 aren't into 'real socialism', that demographic isn't large enough. A large proportion is remainers who chose the least worst option to prevent a Conservative majority.
    Why have Labour lost voters? Social Democrats switching to the Tiggers, those for whom the lunatic fringe has become unbearable and a couple of percent who have switched purely because of Brexit.

It is a second-order issue on the left.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Just as the SNP sweeping the board in 2015 or Trump was never supposed to happen?

52% of voters voted Leave, if he gets over half of them to back the Brexit Party if the Commons revoked Article 50 Farage probably wins a majority under FPTP
  • Options

isam said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They accepted the result I think, just made a mistake on not accepting the deal
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The same could be said for most Labour MPs.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why have Labour lost voters? Social Democrats switching to the Tiggers, those for whom the lunatic fringe has become unbearable and a couple of percent who have switched purely because of Brexit.

Indeed - and the majority of those who have switched to the Greens etc are likely to return to Labour at a GE.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Scott_P said:
    They've permanently been in "Stop Boris" mode. It's why these same clowns voted to keep May....
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I think this talk about Farage is being overblown and any European elections are not underway yet - If a week is a long-time in politics a month is a lifetime! If you make one man the focus of a campaign it will inevitably move from a strength to a weakness.

Farage does not have a clean slate as an MEP, indeed he has repeatedly been enmeshed in controversy about expenses and the inappropriate use of them. Money is Nigel Farage's weak point IMO and it is something he has repeatedly complained about not having enough of as his divorce from his German wife put finances under pressure.

Just a quick google search provides detailed information about expense claims that can prove the undoing of politicians:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/12/nigel-farage-eu-salary-docked-claim-misspent-public-funds

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/may/24/mps-expenses-ukip-nigel-farage

https://www.politico.eu/article/nigel-farage-paul-nuttall-8-ukip-meps-accused-misusing-eu-funds/

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    Scott_P said:
    If only Andrew Cooper hadn't helped blow the referendum... :D
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

The share of the vote or the number of seats?
    Either, both.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

isam said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Remember a majority of Tory voters and a majority of Labour seats voted Leave, if thel Brexit Leave voters will be so disgusted with the political establishment they will try anything to register that disgust, including voting Brexit Party
    The same could be said for most Labour MPs.
    I think the ERG play the role of lobbyists for the death penalty in the case of a man found guilty of murder who has been sentenced to life imprisonment. The Labour MPs, and Tories like Grieve, are calling for a retrial or a pardon
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It will be fun if the Tories expel 60% of their members.
  • Options
    How seriously should we take this Con "grassroots" vote of no confidence in Theresa May?

Could it actually get her out?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Party

Indeed - and the majority of those who have switched to the Greens etc are likely to return to Labour at a GE.
    Yes, I am minded to vote Green at the Euros, but will not be at the GE myself.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Healthcare is going to be HUGE in the EU elections - lol lol lol.

Desperate stuff.
  • Options

I think this talk about Farage is being overblown and any European elections are not underway yet - If a week is a long-time in politics a month is a lifetime! If you make one man the focus of a campaign it will inevitably move from a strength to a weakness.

Farage does not have a clean slate as an MEP, indeed he has repeatedly been enmeshed in controversy about expenses and the inappropriate use of them. Money is Nigel Farage's weak point IMO and it is something he has repeatedly complained about not having enough of as his divorce from his German wife put finances under pressure.

Just a quick google search provides detailed information about expense claims that can prove the undoing of politicians:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/12/nigel-farage-eu-salary-docked-claim-misspent-public-funds

https://www.politico.eu/article/nigel-farage-paul-nuttall-8-ukip-meps-accused-misusing-eu-funds/

Farage has chutzpah. He uses his own experience of snout in the trough expenses, and poor attendance as evidence of how easy it is to abuse the system.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Scott_P said:
    Do you remember how we were told that Cameron would trigger A50 on the morning of 24 June 2016 and then resign?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    Do you remember how we were told that Cameron would trigger A50 on the morning of 24 June 2016 and then resign?
    It was all piss and wind as Mike would say. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD

Just as the SNP sweeping the board in 2015 or Trump was never supposed to happen?

52% of voters voted Leave, if he gets over half of them to back the Brexit Party if the Commons revoked Article 50 Farage probably wins a majority under FPTP

Trump was on the Republican ticket, he had party infrastructure that helped him win the electoral college. If Trump had been an independent candidate I doubt he would have done much better than Ross Perot. The SNP again had a viable infrastructure and the change in leadership of the SNP provided a boost in popularity at just the right time for the SNP to cash in at the 2015 election.

I sometimes get the feeling you have never been involved in a FPTP election or campaigned in an election if you think that opinion polls or referendum results magically transfer into another election result. The world does not work like that in FPTP and Incumbency is a powerful advantage worth thousands of votes potentially in a parliamentary constituency. The Brexit party has no infrastructure, no idea where the best concentration of their potential voters are other than wildly guessing that an area that might have voted Leave might be receptive to the Brexit party. In a GE the Tories and Labour target about 70 seats with campaign literature, telephone canvassing, campaign visits, opinion polling and the like. Where does the Brexit party get the funds to do something equivalent and the volunteers? The Brexit party and UKIP may well end up jostling for the same seats. I take your comments on elections citing opinion polls very sceptically as they go against pretty rudimentary academic work on political parties and elections....
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    isam said:
    So what are the 300 000 annual new migrants, mostly non EU, doing?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

How seriously should we take this Con "grassroots" vote of no confidence in Theresa May?

Nobody wants her there. She's taken the Tory party from one with a working majority, through one with a majority of 100+ nailed on, to one needing to grab on to the DUP for dear life - and now barely registering in the EU polls and doing seriously sub-thirty for a general election.

Having buggered Brexit.

Against a Marxist.

Who she now sees as some of political ally who will bail her out.

Just how bad do those Tory MPs who backed her in December think Boris could have been to top that litany of disasters?

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    The leadership selection rules are part of the party constitution... any change to the constitution requires 66% of voting MPs to support IIRC. Quite a tough hurdle, and not one that Brady can be confident will be passed. Put another way, circa 100 moderate Tory MPs can prevent the rules being changed.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Nobody wants her there. She's taken the Tory party from one with a working majority, through one with a majority of 100+ nailed on, to one needing to grab on to the DUP for dear life - and now barely registering in the EU polls and doing seriously sub-thirty for a general election.

Having buggered Brexit.

Against a Marxist.

Just how bad do those Tory MPs who backed her in December think Boris could have been to top that litany of disasters?

Well when you put it like that... :D
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

GIN1138 said:

Having buggered Brexit.

Against a Marxist.

But all that isn't her fault apparently, it's everyone else's fault but hers.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Are the Brexit Party standing anywhere at the local elections?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

People will view this negatively? Misusing EU funds... oh no!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128

GIN1138 said:

Having buggered Brexit.

Against a Marxist.

Boris would have negotiated a far worse deal with the EU ?

Or rather he wouldn't have negotiated at all but postured and then accepted a far worse deal.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD

'Put the European elections totals of 27% Brexit Party, 22% for Labour and 15% Tory from Yougov into Electoral Calculus and UKIP/Brexit Party gets 289 seats and the Tories just 4

Trump was on the Republican ticket, he had party infrastructure that helped him win the electoral college. If Trump had been an independent candidate I doubt he would have done much better than Ross Perot. The SNP again had a viable infrastructure and the change in leadership of the SNP provided a boost in popularity at just the right time for the SNP to cash in at the 2015 election.

I sometimes get the feeling you have never been involved in a FPTP election or campaigned in an election if you think that opinion polls or referendum results magically transfer into another election result. The world does not work like that in FPTP and Incumbency is a powerful advantage worth thousands of votes potentially in a parliamentary constituency. The Brexit party has no infrastructure, no idea where the best concentration of their potential voters are other than wildly guessing that an area that might have voted Leave might be receptive to the Brexit party. In a GE the Tories and Labour target about 70 seats with campaign literature, telephone canvassing, campaign visits, opinion polling and the like. Where does the Brexit party get the funds to do something equivalent and the volunteers? The Brexit party and UKIP may well end up jostling for the same seats. I take your comments on elections citing opinion polls very sceptically as they go against pretty rudimentary academic work on political parties and elections.... '

En Marche came from nowhere to win the 2017 legislative and presidential elections, Syriza did similarly in Greece, Lega Nord has come from a minor party to a major party in a short period, the Reform Party went from 1 seat to overtaking the Progressive Conservatives in Canada in just 1 election, even Trump had to take on established candidates to win the GOP nomination.

Having been involved in countless elections including as a candidate I can tell you you can canvass to your hearts content but it is pointless if you have barely any supporters, if however you have people flocking to you the activists to leaflet and canvass and the voters to get out to vote naturally follow
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    edited April 2019
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Having buggered Brexit.

Against a Marxist.

Well when you put it like that... :D
    Nobody wants her there is not true.

The poll in the Mail on Sunday showed 43% want her to resign now but 33% only after a deal is agreed and 21% do not want her to resign. So 54% want her to stay in post until brexit is done but personally I think her standing down may be her only option

Of course the Brexiteers want her out but like so much of their incoherance they have nobody who could change the narrative or the numbers

Furthermore, the morphing of the conservative party into the English National Party is a cause of great regret to many of us who are one nation conservatives and now feel homeless

Interesting the papers are reporting a stop Boris move by his fellow conservative mps
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Are the Brexit Party standing anywhere at the local elections?

We have 1 UKIP, 1 English Democrat and a few For Britain candidates in Epping Forest but no Brexit Party candidates, it seems they are focusing on the European elections first
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Having buggered Brexit.

Against a Marxist.

Or rather he wouldn't have negotiated at all but postured and then accepted a far worse deal.
    I think your second proposition is correct: he would have probably negotiated a worse deal for the UK, but he'd have done a better job of selling it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:
    Cribbage
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

isam said:
    Cribbage
    nah.. few people know how to play cribbage IMHO and even fewer to play it well.
  • Options
    RobD said:

People will view this negatively? Misusing EU funds... oh no!
    We keep on being told that the UK pays £350 million a week, so some of the Farage expenses logically come from that. I don't think being in public office and abusing your position is a good advert. That money could have been spent on something of value not squandered in the way Farage did.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

In a GE they could choose to only put up candidates in constituencies where the sitting MP had voted against May's deal from a remainer perspective if they wanted to avoid splitting the Brexit vote.
  • Options
    HYUFD

Fair enough. I cannot reply easily as I find deleting all the previous comments difficult at the moment. Maybe the interactive function of the comments has changed.
  • Options

HYUFD

Fair enough. I cannot reply easily as I find deleting all the previous comments difficult at the moment. Maybe the interactive function of the comments has changed.

Ask OGH I suggest
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Stop Boris = Remainers for Raab
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Having buggered Brexit.

Against a Marxist.

I think your second proposition is correct: he would have probably negotiated a worse deal for the UK, but he'd have done a better job of selling it.
    And this shows the heart of the problem - May is unable to sell anything.

Now that's not a problem if she employs someone else to do the selling but she didn't.

And after the fiasco of the Conservative 2017 GE campaign you would have thought that May would have learnt that.

But it seems neither May or anyone associated with her has.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    Scott_P said:
    Surely it is for 75th D Day landings event? Even Trump would make that one, if only to check out whether a new gold course could be built on Normandy coast.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

isam said:
    Cribbage
    Wandering around town centres ?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Surely it is for 75th D Day landings event? Even Trump would make that one, if only to check out whether a new gold course could be built on Normandy coast.
    Juno you said gold course?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1120419799773925376

Crap slogan imho. Try 'Not Worth It"?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Stop Boris to end up with what instead .

I have zero time for him but if Raab is the alternative I’d take Boris . The unity candidate would be Gove but doubtful whether he’d make the last two .

It will have to be a Leaver so unless Hunt or Javid promise to blow up the Channel Tunnel and start deporting EU nationals than the nutjob Tory Membership won’t think they’re a true believer !
  • Options
    Sounds a bit ‘We know best’
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    They've permanently been in "Stop Boris" mode. It's why these same clowns voted to keep May....
    The membership will burn the party to the ground if Boris is not in the final two (or four, if a mooted rule change happens).

Imagine the two candidates are Hunt and Hancock.
This discussion has been closed.