Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit is Ulsterising British politics

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Ace, I think it's quite unlikely they'll vote to leave the EU.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

An odd feature of recent British politics is that a previously obscure, 'not to everyone's taste' trader on the Metal Exchange has managed, in spite of never winning a Parliamentary seat, has become a significant figure in British politics.

Helps when the head of BBC Westminster is favourable to the cause
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    Dura_Ace said:

Isn't it time for the major GB parties to start standing in Northern Ireland? Even if they do badly initially it would help NI on its journey to reconciliation instead of division by accidents of birth. I am surprised this is so rarely discussed, I think a party aiming for national government should stand across the nation.

There's no point because Ireland is going to be free in a decade or two.
    It may well be reunited in a decade or two but to say that any part of Ireland is not free now is as daft as saying that Britain is not a free country because it is a member of the EU.
  • Options

isam said:
    The anti-Farage/Brexit vote will be split so many ways we're at risk of losing count. I think there's another novelty anti-Brexit candidate standing and being enthusiastically supported by people on Facebook who don't understand the D'Hondt implications.

The Remain side are going to be bleating so hard about how unfair PR is when they look at the vote totals and seat totals after this election.
    Absolutely brilliant if Lord Buckethead made it to the EU parliament
  • Options

Good news this morning. Have lost 10kg in 5 weeks following my raised sugar levels. Have cut out bread, biscuits, chocolates, all fizzy drinks, stopped snacking and smaller portions

Feel much better and have no problem with eating fruit and veg instead.

Excellent news Big_G. Well done. Been down the same road myself with blood sugar.
    Thank you. I have been surprised how relatively easy it has been but as my wife says I stopped smoking altogether one day 15 years ago and that was pergatory but now I cannot stand the smell of cigarettes
    Congrats Mr G!
    I am always inspired by such stories.
    10kg in 5 weeks is significant, and implies major calorie reduction, did you do the “Blood Sugar Diet”?
    Thank you. My diet cut out bread, cakes, biscuits, chocolate, all fizzy drinks and included reduced portions. No snacking and just tea, coffee and water to drink, though I have had a couple of glasses of red wine. I am fortunate I like all fruits and vegetables and it has not been too difficult. Certainly my diabetes sugar levels were rising and the additional weight brings other problems with blood pressure, my copd , and arthritis so losing weight was no longer optional but the difference in my health in just 5 weeks is amazing with further to go, but of course this is now a permanent change to my diet as going back to my old ways would be very unwise
    Well done G and good luck in reaching your final goal and a long and healthy life.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    RoyalBlue said:

A good example of this phenomenon is the outrage that greeted the reselection of a sitting Conservative MEP who supported Remain:

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1118462567121399813?s=21

Leavers are looking to conduct a purge of anyone in the party who disagrees with them over Brexit.

We are not looking to purge the party of Remainers. We would simply like candidates that respect the result of the referendum, whatever their prior stance, and that will work towards delivering it rather than obstructing it or countermanding it through a second referendum.

The man you have quoted wants a second referendum, directly contrary to the verdict of the electorate and our manifesto. On what basis should he be a Conservative candidate?
    That sounds an awful lot like purging people who disagree over Brexit.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Placeholder
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Dura_Ace said:

Isn't it time for the major GB parties to start standing in Northern Ireland? Even if they do badly initially it would help NI on its journey to reconciliation instead of division by accidents of birth. I am surprised this is so rarely discussed, I think a party aiming for national government should stand across the nation.

There's no point because Ireland is going to be free in a decade or two.
    Following on from the discussion earlier, it’s difficult to see how Britain can be a power in the world when even retired officers from the armed forces don’t believe in the nation’s territorial integrity. I suppose it’s representative of the civil service more broadly and our MPs.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,849

RoyalBlue said:

A good example of this phenomenon is the outrage that greeted the reselection of a sitting Conservative MEP who supported Remain:

Leavers are looking to conduct a purge of anyone in the party who disagrees with them over Brexit.

We are not looking to purge the party of Remainers. We would simply like candidates that respect the result of the referendum, whatever their prior stance, and that will work towards delivering it rather than obstructing it or countermanding it through a second referendum.

The man you have quoted wants a second referendum, directly contrary to the verdict of the electorate and our manifesto. On what basis should he be a Conservative candidate?
    That sounds an awful lot like purging people who disagree over Brexit.
    The phrase ‘distinction without a difference’ might apply here.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RoyalBlue said:

It didn't say in the referendum "and we don't want another referendum." If you say there was an implied term to that effect, if we're allowed implied terms there was another one saying "provided that the execution of our leaving is not entrusted to a lot of pea-brained wazzocks who couldn't find their own arseholes in the dark without google maps and a torch." Much the same applies to the poxy manifesto you couldn't win a majority on.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    Alistair said:

An odd feature of recent British politics is that a previously obscure, 'not to everyone's taste' trader on the Metal Exchange has managed, in spite of never winning a Parliamentary seat, has become a significant figure in British politics.

Helps when the head of BBC Westminster is favourable to the cause
    Hm. Thanks for that. Information check when I meet my source again.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    edited April 2019
    Talking of celebrity endorsements, will Diane Abbott do for the M&S mojito what Fleabag and her priest have done for their G&T?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    Norman Foster has found an imaginative way to unite people.

https://twitter.com/royalfineart/status/1119395073475661836
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    RoyalBlue said:

Very 1933
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408

Good news this morning. Have lost 10kg in 5 weeks following my raised sugar levels. Have cut out bread, biscuits, chocolates, all fizzy drinks, stopped snacking and smaller portions

Excellent news Big_G. Well done. Been down the same road myself with blood sugar.
    Thank you. I have been surprised how relatively easy it has been but as my wife says I stopped smoking altogether one day 15 years ago and that was pergatory but now I cannot stand the smell of cigarettes
    Congrats Mr G!
    10kg in 5 weeks is significant, and implies major calorie reduction, did you do the “Blood Sugar Diet”?
    Thank you. My diet cut out bread, cakes, biscuits, chocolate, all fizzy drinks and included reduced portions. No snacking and just tea, coffee and water to drink, though I have had a couple of glasses of red wine. I am fortunate I like all fruits and vegetables and it has not been too difficult. Certainly my diabetes sugar levels were rising and the additional weight brings other problems with blood pressure, my copd , and arthritis so losing weight was no longer optional but the difference in my health in just 5 weeks is amazing with further to go, but of course this is now a permanent change to my diet as going back to my old ways would be very unwise
    I have lost 9kg since the beginning of January and my health scares. I aim to lose another 6kg yet which will probably take another couple of months. Driven by more exercise, less fatty meats, less alcohol. It’s a lifestyle change and like you I can’t go back. I do feel better for it, I suppose.
  • Options
    As an appropriate PB Easter celebration, we should perhaps consider the Easter Act 1928, which remains enacted, but has never come into force.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Act_1928
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    With Labours most high profile candidate telling Brexiteers not to vote Labour, & the Conservatives having made a mess of the whole thing, these Euros should really be a shoo in for Farage. I’d be disappointed with less than 30% of the vote if I were him
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    isam said:

With Labours most high profile candidate telling Brexiteers not to vote Labour, & the Conservatives having made a mess of the whole thing, these Euros should really be a shoo in for Farage. I’d be disappointed with less than 30% of the vote if I were him

Though I'd also expect the Change UK/ LD axis to do well.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    DavidL said:

Congrats Mr G!
    I have lost 9kg since the beginning of January and my health scares. I aim to lose another 6kg yet which will probably take another couple of months. Driven by more exercise, less fatty meats, less alcohol. It’s a lifestyle change and like you I can’t go back. I do feel better for it, I suppose.
    Porridge every morning has been one of my main changes in last year or so. Keeps you full for hours.

Also really cutting down on pasta, bread, potato (all of which I love - so been hard). I would rather eat carbs than sweet stuff so I've not had an issue cutting out the biscuits, cakes, desserts etc.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    isam said:

If you follow the polls, there are currently more Remain votes out there than. Will Farage beat the Revoke petition? He wasn't close in 2014.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Nigelb said:

As an appropriate PB Easter celebration, we should perhaps consider the Easter Act 1928, which remains enacted, but has never come into force.

That is delightfully obscure, even for PB. Well done!

Sounds like it’s ripe for repeal.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Jonathan said:

isam said:

If you follow the polls, there are currently more Remain votes out there than. Will Farage beat the Revoke petition? He wasn't close in 2014.
    I don’t follow them in much detail

I don’t think it’s worth comparing petitions that can be signed by anyone several times to votes in elections, fair enough if you do I’m not going to argue.
  • Options

isam said:

Though I'd also expect the Change UK/ LD axis to do well.

They have to compete with Labour for the Remain vote though, whereas i reckon Tories will vote BP
  • Options
    isam said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

I don’t think it’s worth comparing petitions that can be signed by anyone several times to votes in elections, fair enough if you do I’m not going to argue.
    Well it's an easy comeback if Farage claims any significance from his EU vote.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

Yeah of course, but that kind of nonsense is just point scoring
  • Options
    isam said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

Farage's politics is all about nonsense and point scoring.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

Farage's politics is all about nonsense and point scoring.
    No YOUR politics is all about.... 😴
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,299

Ole Norman's a certainly a big fan of the glass ceiling.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Congrats Mr G!
    Well done G and good luck in reaching your final goal and a long and healthy life.
    Thanks Malc. Bonnie day here in North Wales, trust it is similar on the Ayrshire coast
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,453

The man's an utter fool. Leaving aside the fact that letting light in from the ceiling would not only cost a fortune in heating bills and render it impossible to appreciate the stained glass windows properly, does he actually not grasp that the vaulted ceiling is designed as a counterbrace to the flying buttresses and without it the walls would fall down?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Congrats Mr G!
    Well done David. The health benefits outweigh the downsides
  • Options

DavidL said:

Congrats Mr G!
    Well done both of you
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Nigelb said:

Not necessarily - there’s some support within the various Churches for rationalising the date of Easter, the determination of which has been something of a kludge from the start.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370
    edited April 2019
    RoyalBlue said:

Nigelb said:

I think we should have a referendum on it :)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,027

One of the responses is this:

Anthony Parker
    @AnthonyJSParker 1h1 hour ago
    Replying to @RoyalFineArt
    What the fuck is wrong with you?
    1 reply 0 retweets 6 likes

...and i think we can all get behind that.
  • Options
    isam said:

DavidL said:

Congrats Mr G!
    Well done both of you
    Agreed.

And on that note, I’ve even found a vaguely palatable tofu recently.

Have a good day all.

• Options

Presumably he would want to get rid of the stone vaulting that is under where the wooden roof was. I don’t see that as structurally or aesthetically viable.
  • Options
    isam said:

DavidL said:

Congrats Mr G!
    Well done both of you
    Thanks Isam
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,093
    ydoethur said:

The man's an utter fool. Leaving aside the fact that letting light in from the ceiling would not only cost a fortune in heating bills and render it impossible to appreciate the stained glass windows properly, does he actually not grasp that the vaulted ceiling is designed as a counterbrace to the flying buttresses and without it the walls would fall down?
    This is worse than the 1940s plan to remove the stone from Tower Bridge and reclad it in steel and glass ...

https://leftoverlondon.wordpress.com/2016/08/04/tower-bridge-reimagined-in-1943-and-clad-in-glass/

(I think there was a different but similar plan to do the same in the 1960s, but my google-fu fails me.)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Congrats Mr G!
    Thanks Malc. Bonnie day here in North Wales, trust it is similar on the Ayrshire coast
    Grand day in N Essex, too. Well done Mr G, and everyone else, who've changed their lifestyle to gain health.
    Couple of years ago I started going to the gym again, and now, prevented from doing so, due my recent operation, I find I miss it. I'm looking forward to getting back.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Congrats Mr G!
    That 'I suppose' is ever so wistful.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Congrats Mr G!
    Grand day in N Essex, too. Well done Mr G, and everyone else, who've changed their lifestyle to gain health.
    Couple of years ago I started going to the gym again, and now, prevented from doing so, due my recent operation, I find I miss it. I'm looking forward to getting back.
    Yes - you have indeed been on a health journey and all the best for your recovery
  • Options

Ole Norman's a certainly a big fan of the glass ceiling.
    He is. I imagine his redesign for a human being would be like that scene in "Hannibal" where Lecter removes the top of Paul Krendler's skull whilst undisturbing the brain, then cuts a slice of the brain, cooks it and feeds it to Paul. The deleted scene where Foster replaces Paul's skull with a latticed glass dome and observation deck will be restored in the Director's Cut in 2020.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,040

I like its modernist rejection of the obvious. And it looks like Perdido Street Station.
  • Options
    If everyone liked pubs as much as people who love trains like pubs, the pub industry would be in a much healthier state.

I went to a rail industry conference recently and found it far from diverse. One choice for breakfast: bacon rolls.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925

Congrats Big G. :D

If only someone could come up with a fruit that's as nice as chocolate... ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Thanks Gin. It is true about choocolate but I do like and enjoy all fruit
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Thanks Gin. It is true about choocolate but I do like and enjoy all fruit
    99% cocoa chocolate, and rye sourdough bread are ok I think, and taste nice IMO
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791
    GIN1138 said:

Not Quite so Big G surely?

Well done!
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    malcolmg said:
    Whereas you are an absolute paragon, obvs.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Streeter, not sure why Thompson being a hypocrite is cause to be obnoxious towards Mr. G.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Well done!
    Thanks Carlotta
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Well done!
    Surely he’s not going to end up lower case like malcolm ?

Anyway, really must be off.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Congrats Mr G!
    Are you a tax lawyer?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

At the moment ironically May and Corbyn are preventing British politics dividing totally on Leave v Remain lines as Northern Ireland is divided on Unionist v Nationalist lines. On Brexit at least May and Corbyn are not that far apart, both support leaving the EU with the backstop and staying in some form of Customs Union with the EU, the only difference for the moment being if that is temporary or permanent though even May might concede on that. It is the Brexit Party and UKIP and CUK and the LDs representing the Brexit extremes.

If and when May and Corbyn goes though there is a strong possibility Boris Johnson and Keir Starmer will succeed them and will push hard Brexit and revoke Brexit/EUref2 respectively

Why would Momentum and the unions put up with Starmer?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,040
    GIN1138 said:

Hawaiian "Ice Cream" bananas are terrific. I once ate 6 at NS Pearl Harbour and gave myself the skitters.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728

isam said:
    The anti-Farage/Brexit vote will be split so many ways we're at risk of losing count. I think there's another novelty anti-Brexit candidate standing and being enthusiastically supported by people on Facebook who don't understand the D'Hondt implications.

The Remain side are going to be bleating so hard about how unfair PR is when they look at the vote totals and seat totals after this election.
    "don't understand the D'Hondt implications", "bleating so hard about how unfair PR is"
    Aren't you contradicting yourself? D'Hondt isn't PR.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Congrats Mr G!
    Yes - you have indeed been on a health journey and all the best for your recovery
    Thanks Mr G; in very little pain now, and the hole in my back seems to have healed. Walking is much better now and I'm impatient to start driving again.
  • Options

isam said:

"don't understand the D'Hondt implications", "bleating so hard about how unfair PR is"
    ? I know STV is close but isn't, I know AV isn't, but I thought D'Hondt was. Explanation please?
  • Options

...and the hole in my back seems to have healed...

Good to know

• Options
    edited April 2019

Mr. Streeter, not sure why Thompson being a hypocrite is cause to be obnoxious towards Mr. G.

Do what? Congratulations in naming two people I haven’t addressed in weeks. Chapeau!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    An excellent article - as always. However, I do not share the underlying assumption that party allegiance will be determined by views on Brexit.The commentariat is consumed by the issue , but as a result it is seriously misreading the public mood of desperately wishing to move on . The cries of 'Betrayal' or 'Revoke' have taken root with relatively few, and whilst people will respond to pollsters when invited to express opinions, there are not many for whom the issue in particularly salient in determining voting behaviour.
    On the centre-left,in particular, I find it difficult to imagine many voters who support greater state intervention and increased public spending opting to vote Tory or for Farage simply because they had voted Leave in the June 2016 Referendum . Other issues will invariably override that - indeed attitudes towards Corbyn are likely to be more important.
    In Tory ranks, I can see the issue being more difficult to read - simply because Europe has divided the party for so long. Nevertheless, I suspect that much of the antagonism currently being experienced by their canvassers owes a great deal to the obvious confusion and lack of competence with which the issue has been managed - and the strong sense that Theresa May has repeatedly failed to deliver on her promise that 'Brexit means Brexit'.I am far from persuaded ,however, that the widespread frustration at the consequences of parliamentary arithmetic herald a significant underlying political realignment.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    I
    Streeter said:

Do what? Congratulations in naming two people I haven’t addressed in weeks. Chapeau!
    You replied to malcolmG, questioning his virtue, when he was calling Emma Thompson an arse. Did you not realise?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,842
    justin124 said:

An excellent article - as always. However, I do not share the underlying assumption that party allegiance will be determined by views on Brexit.The commentariat is consumed by the issue , but as a result it is seriously misreading the public mood of desperately wishing to move on . The cries of 'Betrayal' or 'Revoke' have taken root with relatively few, and whilst people will respond to pollsters when invited to express opinions, there are not many for whom the issue in particularly salient in determining voting behaviour.
    On the centre-left,in particular, I find it difficult to imagine many voters who support greater state intervention and increased public spending opting to vote Tory or for Farage simply because they had voted Leave in the June 2016 Referendum . Other issues will invariably override that - indeed attitudes towards Corbyn are likely to be more important.
    In Tory ranks, I can see the issue being more difficult to read - simply because Europe has divided the party for so long. Nevertheless, I suspect that much of the antagonism currently being experienced by their canvassers owes a great deal to the obvious confusion and lack of competence with which the issue has been managed - and the strong sense that Theresa May has repeatedly failed to deliver on her promise that 'Brexit means Brexit'.I am far from persuaded ,however, that the widespread frustration at the consequences of parliamentary arithmetic herald a significant underlying political realignment.

There is a lot of Brexit weariness. Some of the desire for No Deal is just to get it over with. The look of horror on faces when you point out that No Deal is the beginning rather than the end of negotiations. Imagine that Brexit boot stamping on your face forever.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

There is a lot of Brexit weariness. Some of the desire for No Deal is just to get it over with. The look of horror on faces when you point out that No Deal is the beginning rather than the end of negotiations. Imagine that Brexit boot stamping on your face forever.

It's the alternative to the EU integration boot stamping on your face forever. The salient difference in terms of weariness is the degree of hyperbole from the media and political class. Would that difference hold once we have left in name?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Foxy said:

justin124 said:

So is Theresa May's deal. Deal or No Deal is just the start.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    viewcode said:

isam said:

? I know STV is close but isn't, I know AV isn't, but I thought D'Hondt was. Explanation please?
    d'Hondt is extremely proportional if applied to a sufficiently large area (e.g. the whole country) to enable small parties to get their proportions - Denmark, Sweden and Israel are examples (though the first two do have thresholds to get in). The problem in Britain is that we've chosen to apply it in relatively small regions with only a few seats in each, so you can get say 4% everywhere and never get a single person elected, whereas with a national list you'd get 4% of the seats.
  • Options

Interesting article as usual from David. It's clearly true up to a point, but there are still lots of voters - probably a majority - who don't think the EU is an interesting topic. They reluctantly accept that Brexit needs to be addressed (in some non-disastrous way), but they really want something else dealt with - schools, roads, taxes, health, whatever.

The perception (nourished by the media, who are only able to focus on one thing at a time) is that the parties are ignoring all this because they only care about Brexit. Both major parties produce policies on other things and Corbyn talks about them more than May - hence the incredulity when he spends a PMQs talking about buses or benefits - but everything sinks without trace after 24 hours, whether it's Javid on knives or Rayner on SATs.

That's different from Ulster, where my understanding is that the great majority really do see the sectarian division as an important matter and the first thing to consider when casting your vote.

IMO Labour is rather better-prepared for a post-Brexit era, as from Corbyn down most of the leading Labour people aren't that interested in Brexit either, and are bursting to talk about other things; the Tories, with a few exceptions (Gove and Javid and...er...), seem entirely obsessed with two things: Brexit, and party leadership.

Totally agree with that!
  • Options

I

Streeter said:

You replied to malcolmG, questioning his virtue, when he was calling Emma Thompson an arse. Did you not realise?
    Sorry, thought you meant Big G of this Parish.

MG was playing the woman, not the ball. Sauce for goose/gander etc.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Dura_Ace said:

GIN1138 said:

Hawaiian "Ice Cream" bananas are terrific. I once ate 6 at NS Pearl Harbour and gave myself the skitters.
    There's a tiny mango in Bangladesh that has a very short season. Exquisite.

They are so good that Bangladeshis returning to the UK brought big boxes of them. However, they were invariably packed in rickety wooden boxes. That would break on the carousel at Manchester airpport. Turning it - and everybody's luggage - into a sticky, sweet fruity mess.....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited April 2019
    The Abbott breaking the law story is small beer (or rather small can of mojito), however this made me chuckle...

A mental health campaigner, Sam Thomas, said: “Why should you be sorry? We are all free to the freedom of choice. If you choose to drink on the underground, it’s fine. Meanwhile, for the serious crime that it isn’t, far worse atrocities are being committed.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/20/diane-abbott-apologises-for-drinking-mojito-on-public-transport

Freedom of choice...erhhh its illegal.
  • Options

Thanks Mr G; in very little pain now, and the hole in my back seems to have healed. Walking is much better now and I'm impatient to start driving again.

Excellent! It's always great to hear of treatment actually improving the condition instead of just holding it at bay. Happy Easter!
  • Options

viewcode said:

isam said:

d'Hondt is extremely proportional if applied to a sufficiently large area (e.g. the whole country) to enable small parties to get their proportions - Denmark, Sweden and Israel are examples (though the first two do have thresholds to get in). The problem in Britain is that we've chosen to apply it in relatively small regions with only a few seats in each, so you can get say 4% everywhere and never get a single person elected, whereas with a national list you'd get 4% of the seats.
    True, but that's a function of the number of seats in an area, not d'Hondt (a seat distribution method)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

isam said:

D'Hondt certainly is PR.

If Change, Lib Dems, and Greens can each poll 10% plus, they'll get proportionate representation. But, those extra votes would have to come from Labour, making it likely that Farage's party would come first.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

At the moment ironically May and Corbyn are preventing British politics dividing totally on Leave v Remain lines as Northern Ireland is divided on Unionist v Nationalist lines. On Brexit at least May and Corbyn are not that far apart, both support leaving the EU with the backstop and staying in some form of Customs Union with the EU, the only difference for the moment being if that is temporary or permanent though even May might concede on that. It is the Brexit Party and UKIP and CUK and the LDs representing the Brexit extremes.

A good post.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,745
    Mr H makes an interesting case, and like some others I think it is truer on the Tory side than the Labour side. I'm a Labourite who happened to vote Leave, not a Brexiteer.

My vote in the Euros will not be based on the Brexit position of the parties or candidates. There are much more important issues to consider.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Foxy said:

It's the alternative to the EU integration boot stamping on your face forever. The salient difference in terms of weariness is the degree of hyperbole from the media and political class. Would that difference hold once we have left in name?
    “boot stamping on your face forever” isn’t hyperbole ?
  • Options
    Christ (sic), if there's anything worse than a martyr, it's one with delusions of grandeur.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1119363818218577921
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997
    W.R.T. a Peterborough by-election, if the Brexit Party top the Euro poll, then I think bandwagon effect would make them favourites.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,745
    Off topic 1: very pleasing that I can connect to our wifi from a comfy chair in the back garden.

Off topic 2: some posters appear to have got the impression that I have an interest in railways - fair cop!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

An interesting, if not entirely convincing lead. Neither party is really prepared to face the implications of its changing support base for its approach, offer, and policies, and the Tories seem particularly unprepared. Not least because many of the leavers who tend to become Tory MPs are very different in motivation from most of the voters who are leavers. Peddling cultural war to working class voters won't be as easy here as it is in the US, without the religious dimension.

The assumption that the Tories will automatically be led by hard Leaver is open to challenge. Remember Corbyn got elected effectively by accident, a few MPs assuming he didn't stand a chance. Tory MPs will do what they can to ensure a similar accident doesn't put a bad choice before their members, even if constrained by the scarcity of apparent good choices. If they do end up with a hard Leaver it is hard to see a route to majority government (other than a complete fragmentation of the Remain vote coupled with an absence of tactical voting) so the Tories would be volunteering for a long spell in opposition. Which to be fair given Brexit may well be inevitable now anyway.

If the Tories do not end up with a hard Leaver on current polls and if we are still in the EU by the next general election the danger is the Tories get overtaken by the Brexit Party and are not even the main opposition let alone not even a majority Government. Your comments show a complete lack of awareness on the left and the Remainer liberal left especially about how failing to deliver Brexit will damage the Tories and boost the hard and far right (similar ironically to how many Tories failed to appreciate the dangers of the rise of Corbyn).

It may take a Brexit Party victory in the European elections as Yougov suggests to finally wake you up
    But there are very many people who are prepared to vote for Farage or UKIP at an election which they consider pretty inconsequential who would not consider them at all at a General Election. UKIP's performance at the 2015 election - a big increase in vote share though it was - fell well short of what it managed at the 2014 EU elections. Much of that support is fleeting and based on protest - the LibDems and Greens experience surges of support in a similar way. Regardless of what happens on the Brexit front, I see no way that the Brexit Party will be seen as a seious contender for government at the next General Election.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    viewcode said:

isam said:

Its the wrong type of PR.

For some people the purpose of PR is to allow the LibDems to be in government forever.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

D'Hondt certainly is PR.

If Change, Lib Dems, and Greens can each poll 10% plus, they'll get proportionate representation. But, those extra votes would have to come from Labour, making it likely that Farage's party would come first.
    "The D'Hondt method or the Jefferson method is a highest averages method for allocating seats, and is thus a type of party-list proportional representation. ... Empirical studies show that the D'Hondt method is one of the least proportional among the proportional representation methods."
    So, depends on how proportional you want as to whether you consider it as true PR.
    Also don't forget that the regions vary quite a lot in how many MEPs they return. 10% wouldn't get you much in Wales, North East England or Northern Ireland, for example.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_constituencies_in_the_United_Kingdom
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

An interesting, if not entirely convincing lead. Neither party is really prepared to face the implications of its changing support base for its approach, offer, and policies, and the Tories seem particularly unprepared. Not least because many of the leavers who tend to become Tory MPs are very different in motivation from most of the voters who are leavers. Peddling cultural war to working class voters won't be as easy here as it is in the US, without the religious dimension.

The assumption that the Tories will automatically be led by hard Leaver is open to challenge. Remember Corbyn got elected effectively by accident, a few MPs assuming he didn't stand a chance. Tory MPs will do what they can to ensure a similar accident doesn't put a bad choice before their members, even if constrained by the scarcity of apparent good choices. If they do end up with a hard Leaver it is hard to see a route to majority government (other than a complete fragmentation of the Remain vote coupled with an absence of tactical voting) so the Tories would be volunteering for a long spell in opposition. Which to be fair given Brexit may well be inevitable now anyway.

If the Tories do not end up with a hard Leaver on current polls and if we are still in the EU by the next general election the danger is the Tories get overtaken by the Brexit Party and are not even the main opposition let alone not even a majority Government. Your comments show a complete lack of awareness on the left and the Remainer liberal left especially about how failing to deliver Brexit will damage the Tories and boost the hard and far right (similar ironically to how many Tories failed to appreciate the dangers of the rise of Corbyn).

It may take a Brexit Party victory in the European elections as Yougov suggests to finally wake you up
    But there are very many people who are prepared to vote for Farage or UKIP at an election which they consider pretty inconsequential who would not consider them at all at a General Election. UKIP's performance at the 2015 election - a big increase in vote share though it was - fell well short of what it managed at the 2014 EU elections. Much of that support is fleeting and based on protest - the LibDems and Greens experience surges of support in a similar way. Regardless of what happens on the Brexit front, I see no way that the Brexit Party will be seen as a seious contender for government at the next General Election.
    Let's hope this post ages well.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

“boot stamping on your face forever” isn’t hyperbole ?
    Of course, but that's a question of Foxy's imagination in the current febrile atmosphere.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

4.3m at the Euros and 3.9m at the GE. Quite good vote retention I'd say if the Euro's are just a protest
  • Options
    isam said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

4.3m at the Euros and 3.9m at the GE. Quite good vote retention I'd say if the Euro's are just a protest
    But a much higher turnout at the GE.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    First they came for the.....

If Sugar has any sense he will have sent the past few years squirrelling his wealth far away from the potential grasps of the "Literal Communists".
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    Amazing. Adonis, the Tories' great bogeyman, is singing HM's praises, while only a few weeks ago their political soulmate Lilico was calling for her abdication. The world has turned on its head.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    what an arse.

When everyone who can puts their wealth beyond reach what do they think will happen to the country?

There is a reason why economists predict a Corbyn Labour victory would do more harm than Brexit
  • Options
    justin124 said:

isam said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

oupled with an absence of tactical voting) so the Tories would be volunteering for a long spell in opposition. Which to be fair given Brexit may well be inevitable now anyway.

"...there are very many people who are prepared to vote for Farage or UKIP at an election which they consider pretty inconsequential who would not consider them at all at a General Election."

400,000 is a lot of people, but 90% retention doesn't really support your point in my opinion.

• Options

Christ (sic), if there's anything worse than a martyr, it's one with delusions of grandeur.

Remind me again: what was his dark night? I'm too lazy to google.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Floater said:

what an arse.

When everyone who can puts their wealth beyond reach what do they think will happen to the country?

There is a reason why economists predict a Corbyn Labour victory would do more harm than Brexit
    Makes me wonder why I am bothering to work my arse off on a boiling Saturday afternoon...if the communists are just going to take my wealth because they don't like me.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    viewcode said:

Remind me again: what was his dark night? I'm too lazy to google.
    He came across as a bit of a twit in a New Statesman interview.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The Abbott breaking the law story is small beer (or rather small can of mojito), however this made me chuckle...

A mental health campaigner, Sam Thomas, said: “Why should you be sorry? We are all free to the freedom of choice. If you choose to drink on the underground, it’s fine. Meanwhile, for the serious crime that it isn’t, far worse atrocities are being committed.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/20/diane-abbott-apologises-for-drinking-mojito-on-public-transport

Freedom of choice...erhhh its illegal.

She gives every impression of not being very bright - perhaps she didn't realise?

• Options
    isam said:

justin124 said:

isam said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

oupled with an absence of tactical voting) so the Tories would be volunteering for a long spell in opposition. Which to be fair given Brexit may well be inevitable now anyway.

"...there are very many people who are prepared to vote for Farage or UKIP at an election which they consider pretty inconsequential who would not consider them at all at a General Election."

400,000 is a lot of people, but 90% retention doesn't really support your point in my opinion.

UKIP polled 26.6% in 2014 EU elections compared with 12.6% less than a year later at the 2015 GE.
This discussion has been closed.