Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Next week could see Bercexit if some Tory Leavers have their w

1235»

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    ydoethur said:

Morning.

Does anyone else find it mildly amusing/pathetic (delete as applicable) that Boris is attempting to damage a rival by claiming the rival in question is having an affair?

Given it's probably why he had to drop out last time, all's fair etc.....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,251
    As we head into the warmest easter in decades:

"the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences said that on current trends the planet's climate will resemble the mid-Pliocene era of 3 million years ago as soon as 2030"

"The IEA said the fossil share of primary energy remains stuck at 81pc where it has been for the last three decades."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/04/18/extinction-rebels-right-risk-losing-livable-planet-green-technology/
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,264

Mr. Jessop, I ended up not publishing it because I used it as an example for a job application for writing F1 stuff, but I did write an article explaining why I was against W Series.

I'm not sure you remember that correctly, or possibly my view's changed if you remember it from a very long time ago. The main physical issue is the neck and the strain it's under, but I don't think that's an insurmountable barrier, and as women can make excellent fighter pilots I fail to see why they can't make excellent F1 drivers.

https://youtu.be/jYGn05e5-Bk
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Attenborough. A slightly annoying mixture of the portentous and the alarming. But still.

I need to stop buying air freighted vegetables. Should they have to bear a logo showing that they are?

I need to cut back on beef (lamb already off the agenda for health reasons).

I need to think seriously about and investigate the cost of renewable energy tariffs.

I will not buy another diesel car.

What else? There must be more. ...

I need to stop using a compu
    I supposed you stopped buying butter and switched to polyunsaturated marge.. then switched back when they told you marg was bad.. you eat bacon butties until someone told you it was bad for you , until you realised you had to eat bacon butties every day for 50 yrs before it very slightly increased your risk of getting bowel cancer.

There is nothing wrong with an EU6 compliant diesel.
    I think that our grandchildren will look back at a time when people thought it was ok to use an engine producing particulates in a built up area with complete incredulity, the way most of us think about smokers who thought it was ok to light up between courses in a restaurant now but this is a different point from global warming per se.

At the moment the infrastructure makes it very difficult to use an electric car for the type of journeys I do. Yesterday I was giving a talk in an hotel in Glasgow. It was about a 170 mile round trip and I had no idea where I was going to park before I got there. This will change, both the "real" distance the car can go between charges being driven normally and the ubiquity of charging points. When it does I can see absolutely no reason for anyone to drive a hydrocarbon burning car. It just makes no ecological sense.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,985
    Mr. Jessop, ha, I'd forgotten that clip.

Suspect the next series might be the last.

Mr. L, maybe, but that's a bit like condemning medieval people for poor hygiene, as if they chose not to know about how disease spreads or not to invent vacuum cleaners.
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, Boris' rival? Is Krusty the Clown running?

Yes, but only very slowly as he tripped over his own shoes. That's how he lost to Trump and Corbyn as well.
  • Options

I am not Mr Jessop!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    ydoethur said:

I am not Mr Jessop!
    We’re going to have to start calling you The Croucher....

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

One of the big questions at the moment is why are the climate change protests so middle-class? In the 60s and 70s the equivalent types of protest, for civil rights and anti-Vietnam for instance, had much more of a mixture of middle and working-class people.

You might find this article on the organisational structure of Extinction Rebellion interesting. In large part the middle class element is due to the deliberate arret policy. More marginal communities are quite reluctant to go down that route. Pretty much all Green campaigners take the view that there can be no climate justice without social justice.

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1118938914386059264?s=19
    This reminds me of the 'Occupy' movement of 8-9 years ago - and I bet it contains many of the same people. I'll also bet it'll end up the same way.
    Possibly, or like Swampie and the road protesters of the Nineties.

On the other hand, it might form part of the wider Green surge we see across Europe in the Euros, Greens now being the second party of Germany.

The sneering and snobbery of the PB Tories mocking these protests show why it is so hard for them to regain the votes of the white middle class bedrock of the country. Even Maggie took Climate change seriously.
    Extinction Rebellion is an unpleasant outfit which deserves mockery.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031

Mr. Jessop, I ended up not publishing it because I used it as an example for a job application for writing F1 stuff, but I did write an article explaining why I was against W Series.

I'm not sure you remember that correctly, or possibly my view's changed if you remember it from a very long time ago. The main physical issue is the neck and the strain it's under, but I don't think that's an insurmountable barrier, and as women can make excellent fighter pilots I fail to see why they can't make excellent F1 drivers.

The 'neck' and general strength excuse was rubbish then, and it's especially rubbish now - and increasingly so in pinnacle motorsports in F1. In most cases, the reason drivers get into F1 has little to do with skill and strength, but funding.

The requirements of an F1 driver and multifold: you need intelligence, you need an attractive personae for the media, you need low weight, to preferably be short, you need skill, the character to make friends, and the will to screw over those friends and teammates if required. It is as much a political and business world as it is a sporting one. But most of all you need money: if your family is not rich, that means either rich backers or getting the attention of one of the teams early (Alonso is an example of the former, Hamilton the latter).

There is no reason why we could not have a woman F1 champion: although we need to get more candidates in the lower formula. The problem is one of culture in those lower formula - and it's one the FIA is trying to solve, although that's especially difficult in karting.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

Given some of the horror stories I've heard about young women competing in junior formulae (something which the FIA is trying to stop), I'm all in favour of Formula W.

Motorsport is a hostile environment for women so it is more difficult for them to get opportunities in the regular series so I agree Formula W is, at the moment, necessary.

Ana Carrasco was treated as a novelty act in World Supersport 300 until she started winning then she was ostracised by half the field and other teams successfully lobbied for a mid-season rule change to handicap her. Kudos to Johnny Rea of Kawasaki WSBK who took time out of his own championship campaign to mentor her to her world championship.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I am not Mr Jessop!
    You should be very glad. :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Quincel said:

Holy shit! A nationwide poll in the US puts Mayor Pete on 17% nationally!

Sanders also just 1% behind Biden now on 20% to his 21%

https://twitter.com/ChangePolls/status/1118979303226642437?s=20
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

I am not Mr Jessop!
    We’re going to have to start calling you The Croucher....

My silence will be Golden.

Have a good morning.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

As we head into the warmest easter in decades:

"the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences said that on current trends the planet's climate will resemble the mid-Pliocene era of 3 million years ago as soon as 2030"

"The IEA said the fossil share of primary energy remains stuck at 81pc where it has been for the last three decades."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/04/18/extinction-rebels-right-risk-losing-livable-planet-green-technology/

Of course, it somewhat undermines "the warmest Easter" notion that Easter is late this year.....

"By ecclesiastical rules, which fixes the date of the equinox to March 21, the earliest possible date for Easter is March 22 and the latest possible is April 25. There are 35 dates on which Easter can take place." It can only fall 4 days later....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,981
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/scotlandinunion/status/1118951785819975681

There is also no inclusive case for Brexit, which is why none of the arsonists can articulate a case for the fire.

I don't even need to read that to know it will be a bundle of lies , combination of those cretins SIU and the toilet paper Herald guarantee it has no chance of being reality.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    43% of Buttigieg supporters are Independents and only 53% registered Democrats but at least 80% of Biden and Sanders backers are registered Democrats.

26% of Sanders voters say they would vote for Trump over Warren and 21% for Trump over Buttigieg but 100% of Buttigieg voters would vote for Sanders over Trump.

Only 51% of current Sanders voters voted for Hillary, 7% voted for Trump, 23% voted for a third party candidate and 19% did not vote
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeldurkheimer/2019/04/17/5-weird-items-in-the-new-bernie-buttigieg-poll/#5552d1ce7ddd
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,985
    Mr. Doethur, ah, my apologies for the mistake.

Mr. Jessop, I agree on funding. Alonso had backing from Santander, for example. It's a bit weird, though, as a female driver would obviously have a lot of media attention so that should be a relative asset.

I don't think the neck etc is an excuse, though. Some races (Singapore, I think, is the worst) are very physically demanding. Doesn't mean a woman can't do it, but any driver has to be in shape.

Mr. Ace, I'm not familiar with lower formulae etc, but the increasing (well, in F1, at least) number of female engineers will hopefully help to improve the off-track situation.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    HYUFD said:

43% of Buttigieg supporters are Independents and only 53% registered Democrats but at least 80% of Biden and Sanders backers are registered Democrats.

26% of Sanders voters say they would vote for Trump over Warren and 20% for Trump over Buttigieg but 100% of Buttigieg voters would vote for Sanders over Trump
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeldurkheimer/2019/04/17/5-weird-items-in-the-new-bernie-buttigieg-poll/#5552d1ce7ddd

Which perhaps suggests that Buttigieg might be the better candidate in the general election.
    And registered Democrats’ overwhelming priority is to win.

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Given some of the horror stories I've heard about young women competing in junior formulae (something which the FIA is trying to stop), I'm all in favour of Formula W.

Motorsport is a hostile environment for women so it is more difficult for them to get opportunities in the regular series so I agree Formula W is, at the moment, necessary.

Ana Carrasco was treated as a novelty act in World Supersport 300 until she started winning then she was ostracised by half the field and other teams successfully lobbied for a mid-season rule change to handicap her. Kudos to Johnny Rea of Kawasaki WSBK who took time out of his own championship campaign to mentor her to her world championship.
    Perhaps the most telling story was of a young girl who was doing well in a lower formula. Immediately before the race, the father of another competitor opened his flies in front of her and peed into her fuel tank. She could not start the race (from memory, his son was withdrawn by the organisers).

And that is not the worst such story. If you were the parents of a young girl facing that sort of stuff, and spending a fortune to do so, would you continue encouraging your daughter?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

26% of Sanders voters say they would vote for Trump over Warren and 21% for Trump over Buttigieg but 100% of Buttigieg voters would vote for Sanders over Trump.

Only 51% of current Sanders voters voted for Hillary, 7% voted for Trump, 23% voted for a third party candidate and 19% did not vote

Overall Biden beats Trump 53% to 47%, Sanders beats Trump 51% to 48%
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

The main physical issue is the neck and the strain it's under, but I don't think that's an insurmountable barrier, and as women can make excellent fighter pilots I fail to see why they can't make excellent F1 drivers.

A USAF study in the 80s showed that, once you adjust for height and weight, there is no significant difference in G tolerance between men and women.

The reason there are far fewer female military pilots than male is exactly the same reason that there are no women in F1: massively entrenched structural prejudice and discrimination.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Terrible news from NI .

Although things have improved over the last twenty years this shows how sensitive the situation remains .
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Overall Biden beats Trump 53% to 47%, Sanders beats Trump 51% to 48%
    51 - 48 polling is probably a Trump victory.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Dura_Ace said:

Perhaps the most telling story was of a young girl who was doing well in a lower formula. Immediately before the race, the father of another competitor opened his flies in front of her and peed into her fuel tank. She could not start the race (from memory, his son was withdrawn by the organisers).

And that is not the worst such story. If you were the parents of a young girl facing that sort of stuff, and spending a fortune to do so, would you continue encouraging your daughter?
    I think I would, more than ever !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

I think I would, more than ever !
    If I had a daughter, and she was really into it, then yes, I'd like to think I would as well. Then again, you'd be encouraging your daughter to remain in what is a really nasty environment - and paying through the nose for it as well.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Quincel said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Attenborough. A slightly annoying mixture of the portentous and the alarming. But still.

I need to stop buying air freighted vegetables. Should they have to bear a logo showing that they are?

I need to cut back on beef (lamb already off the agenda for health reasons).

I need to think seriously about and investigate the cost of renewable energy tariffs.

I will not buy another diesel car.

What else? There must be more. Most of the damage to the climate is not happening here. Surely our aid budget should be focused on reducing the extent of climate change by protecting forests, improving recycling in the third world, helping them to develop renewable energy systems etc.

Humanity could just have a mass suicide pact! That'd solve the problem! :D
    If you believe some reports then we already do. Other reports are less alarmist, but the consensus ones are plenty bad imho.
    Yes, Med temperatures in the South, saving on holiday bills and a boost for English wine, albeit with greater risk of flooding too.

In any case it is China, the USA and India who need to move to more renewables, what we do will make little difference either way
    Very complacent attitude, and quite a lot of progress on climate change with many emerging economies. Trump is a selfish dumbass but we all knew that already.

Does anyone else on PB remember rain?

I go for a walk around a reservoir a couple of miles from my house. I have never seen it this empty at this time of year, not even close. Its more like August. There are well established areas of grass that should be under several feet of water. The trails in the wood too are positively dusty. It has been an incredibly dry spring.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited April 2019
    Eh?
This discussion has been closed.