Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UK Euro elections have been no guide to what will happen at th

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,289

The Samsung story seems a bit odd. Surely they would've/should've done a bucketload of testing?

These are the people who gave the world the exploding Note 7.

Samsung are awful. They release improperly tested phones to the world.
    And you suck up to an evil company, and pay 30-40% more for their gear. ;)

(And gear which dies not always work, either.)
    Since 2010 I’ve bought around 25 iPhones of which only one developed an issue which Apple replaced straight away.

I’ve bought a similar amount of iPads in that time not a single issue with any of them.

I’m on my fourth Apple Watch, again no issues

Most importantly I’ve been buying Macs or MacBooks every other year since the mid 90s, not one developed an issue. Nor have I had the blue screen of death.
    You should work out how much you've spent - that's essentially three phones a year. One of my phones lasts three years.

For one thing, buying so much kit means that you're hardly getting into the rear end of the bathtub curve. You're turning tech into a disposable product - so no wonder you rarely see it go wrong ...
    Last year when I traded in the three phones I got back over £2,000 which paid for two new handsets.

That’s one of the good things about Apple they keep their value.

Some of the iPads are old as they get passed down to the kids.

PS - The three phones a year aren’t for me, I get my parents a brand new phone every year because I’m an awesome son.
    How can you be sure they're not having issues - especially with software - if you're not the one using them? Do you ask your relatives to report all issues to you?

You are an inveterate show-off. There's nothing wrong with that, just as there's nothing wrong for gently taking the mick out of you for your rampant consumerism and fanaticism. ;)

(As an aside, Mrs J has now worked on tech that is in Apple, Samsung, Google and generic Android products. I'm now fairly manufacturer agnostic from that pov.) :)
    The great thing about Apple is that it all just works together. The Macs also have much better longlevity imo than any Windows PC I have ever owned (he says, typing on a 2011 Macbook Air that still runs like a dream).
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,546
    One manufacturer-agnostic (*) point on foldable phones:

What is the use-case? It is something that will cost more than a 'standard' screen. With (say) capacitive screens, the use case was that it allowed better touch-sensitivity over resistive, which eventually allowed things like gestures and multi-touch. This made the extra cost worthwhile.

I'm not really seeing a 'killer' use-case for foldable screens that makes the inherent extra cost or flimsiness worthwhile. But I'm not a products or marketing bod. Or in fact, any bod anymore. :(

(*) Because they'll all be doing it.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,883

Foxy said:

The Samsung story seems a bit odd. Surely they would've/should've done a bucketload of testing?

Indeed rarely does one see an iphone in the wild without a cracked screen!
    I know you're joking, but I can't understand why people spend £500-1000 on a consumer device and don't put a case on it. All my phones have cases, and I've never suffered a broken screen despite some sometimes harsh handling. I also hate the trend for thinner phones, when what I need is increased battery life.

Yet the trend is for style. When it's a trade-off between showing off and risking breakage, showing off wins. :(
    If you want a pointless, annoying trend what about the fashion for low profile tyres on bog standard family cars and, even more ridiculous, 4x4s?!
    Low profile tyres are more efficient and lighter. With electronically controlled dampers giving multiple high/low speed damping paths modern cars don't need as much suspension from the tyres.

Since 2010 I’ve bought around 25 iPhones of which only one developed an issue which Apple replaced straight away.

I’ve bought a similar amount of iPads in that time not a single issue with any of them.

Most importantly I’ve been buying Macs or MacBooks every other year since the mid 90s, not one developed an issue. Nor have I had the blue screen of death.
    You should work out how much you've spent - that's essentially three phones a year. One of my phones lasts three years.

For one thing, buying so much kit means that you're hardly getting into the rear end of the bathtub curve. You're turning tech into a disposable product - so no wonder you rarely see it go wrong ...
    Last year when I traded in the three phones I got back over £2,000 which paid for two new handsets.

PS - The three phones a year aren’t for me, I get my parents a brand new phone every year because I’m an awesome son.
    How can you be sure they're not having issues - especially with software - if you're not the one using them? Do you ask your relatives to report all issues to you?

You are an inveterate show-off. There's nothing wrong with that, just as there's nothing wrong for gently taking the mick out of you for your rampant consumerism and fanaticism. ;)

(As an aside, Mrs J has now worked on tech that is in Apple, Samsung, Google and generic Android products. I'm now fairly manufacturer agnostic from that pov.) :)
    I know people who have older iPhones and they still love them.
    That doesn't mean much: some Apple fans would pay £1,000 for an Apple house brick and love it. ;)

Try the Pocophone F1. A quarter the price of an IPhone , £235 on Ebay new, and faster.
    Yes - if you don't want style, then there are some very good Android phones out there spec-wise. It's not an area I know well, though, and I have concerns when buying Chinese gear (*).

(*) This is not a racist comment; just one based on how the Chinese sectors of the industry work.
  • The Samsung story seems a bit odd. Surely they would've/should've done a bucketload of testing?

...an awesome son who doesn't give a shit about the environmental impact of all that pointless stuff he buys? :wink:
    I’m very environmentally conscious, our other car is going to be a hybrid vehicle.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

How wasteful.

• another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,968
    Perhaps she might ask why speed limits are in mph on one side of the border and kmph on the other.

And who created that regulatory divergence.

...an awesome son who doesn't give a shit about the environmental impact of all that pointless stuff he buys? :wink:
    I’m very environmentally conscious, our other car is going to be a hybrid vehicle.
    'Our other car'.

LOL.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    I've been using a Lenovo P2A2 for the last 5 or 6 years. My old one broke, and when I looked up what was available I came to the conclusion that pound for pound the Lenovo was still top.
    Had to import it from Spain..
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724

'Our other car'.

LOL.
    Soon as I retired we went down to one car. No problems, apart from when I'm going one way and my wife another, and the bus I'm expecting doesn't turn up. As per yesterday!
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

I know you're joking, but I can't understand why people spend £500-1000 on a consumer device and don't put a case on it. All my phones have cases, and I've never suffered a broken screen despite some sometimes harsh handling. I also hate the trend for thinner phones, when what I need is increased battery life.

Yet the trend is for style. When it's a trade-off between showing off and risking breakage, showing off wins. :(
    If you want a pointless, annoying trend what about the fashion for low profile tyres on bog standard family cars and, even more ridiculous, 4x4s?!
    Low profile tyres are more efficient and lighter. With electronically controlled dampers giving multiple high/low speed damping paths modern cars don't need as much suspension from the tyres.
    You have obviously not experienced the potholes in north Dorset!
  • The Samsung story seems a bit odd. Surely they would've/should've done a bucketload of testing?

'Our other car'.

LOL.
    We’re a two car family.

We have a nice people carrier* for when the entire family needs to go out and a smaller vehicle for when only one or two of us need to go out.

*I call it a people carrier my friends call it a one man global warming machine. Honestly it is the most fuel efficient 4.4 litre vehicle out there.
  • TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729

I know people who have older iPhones and they still love them.
    Mine is seven and a half years old
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

OK well how about the trend for bog standard family cars built to look like AH-64 Apaches?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    kinabalu said:

Yes I did Ajax - so thanks for that.

On the Euros I think we should keep it simpler than your suggestion. DUP have a sectarian vote and the Greens have the eco vote. Let's take them out.

Just go BREXIT + UKIP versus LD + CHANGE.

Then if one side of that equation EASILY beats the other - conclusions can be drawn.

If not, best not to.

I don't think the Euros will really give a better picture of attitudes to the EU and Brexit than any representative poll. There are too many cross-currents and mixed motives. For instance, I'm a zealous Remainer/Revoker but I wouldn't dream of voting ChUK as I think they damage the chance of an alternative government, and that matters more to me than Brexit. Conversely there will be keen Brexiteers who simply won't vote for Farage or May.

'Our other car'.

LOL.
    Soon as I retired we went down to one car. No problems, apart from when I'm going one way and my wife another, and the bus I'm expecting doesn't turn up. As per yesterday!
    Er... so no problems, except when there are problems?

We tried going down to one car when I retired but it's really not ideal if you live in a small village with absolutely no bus service at all.

So we went back to two cars, but now that's three and I am angling for a fourth because I have started to get into classic cars...

...so my teasing of TSE over his iPhones is completely hypocritical - I get that. :smile:

Perhaps she might ask why speed limits are in mph on one side of the border and kmph on the other.

Yebbut. No one checks the speed limit at the BCPs now do they?
    This is an interesting article debunking the David Davis promulgation that Enda Kenny would have been happy to work on a WhatsApp powered border before @campaignforleo junked the idea and ruined brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/18/how-the-irish-backstop-emerged-as-mays-brexit-nemesis
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The great thing about Apple is that it all just works together. The Macs also have much better longlevity imo than any Windows PC I have ever owned (he says, typing on a 2011 Macbook Air that still runs like a dream).

My Powermac G5 (built in 2004) still runs like a champ :)
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961

So we went back to two cars, but now that's three and I am angling for a fourth because I have started to get into classic cars...

...so my teasing of TSE over his iPhones is completely hypocritical - I get that. :smile:

Getting into classic cars is simply the right thing to do - preserving them for other generations to enjoy. (Of course, future generations will have no idea how to drive....they will simply be looked at.)
    Dura_Ace said:

This is an interesting article debunking the David Davis promulgation that Enda Kenny would have been happy to work on a WhatsApp powered border before @campaignforleo junked the idea and ruined brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/18/how-the-irish-backstop-emerged-as-mays-brexit-nemesis

Will take a look but wasn't there a lot of "blind eye" application to the supposed technology solution?

We’re a two car family.

We have a nice people carrier* for when the entire family needs to go out and a smaller vehicle for when only one or two of us need to go out.

*I call it a people carrier my friends call it a one man global warming machine. Honestly it is the most fuel efficient 4.4 litre vehicle out there.

We're a two-car family as well: then again, Mrs J works an hour's drive away from home, and we decided that we couldn't manage without another car during the day. Experience has shown that to be sadly correct, even after the little 'un started school.

I think it's a bit different if you commute into work: then two cars becomes a bit more unnecessary.

I LOL'ed at the idea you were bragging at buying a Hybrid (because you're 'environmentally conscious'), yet at the same time waste hideous amounts of resources buying unnecessary tech.

Then again, I should be encouraging people to buy as much tech as possible: especially Internet of Tat Things stuff. :)
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,547
    edited April 2019

We tried going down to one car when I retired but it's really not ideal if you live in a small village with absolutely no bus service at all.

Cars are so cheap in real terms now, especially older ones. When my youngest passed her test last year we bought her a 12 year old Fiesta, 50k miles, for £1k. Tax & servicing maybe £500 per year, less than £10 per week, very nice car, even passes the ULEZ pollution criteria. Insurance is something else of course, but for an older driver would not be huge. And because cars are so much more durable than they used to be the risk of breakdown, unexpected costs etc is small.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Oh, so it seems now Remoaners are agreeing that the EP elections aren’t a proxy 2nd referendum.

Got it.
    Crossrail 'could be delayed until 2021'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47967766

Oops. Although I do wonder if there is some expectations management going on.
  • JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    I was canvassed last night for only the second time ever in my life. East Herts - 50 out of 50 councillors are tories. The guy looked worried and had nothing convincing to say. They don;t normally bother canvassing, this is blue rosette on a donkey territory

I won't be voting conservative, also for only the second time ever. They are going to get smashed out of sight surely. Absolute state of them at the moment.

Local Lib Dems will get my vote (to my surprise!) They have some broadly sensible ideas for mundane local improvements.

(They will not be getting my vote in the Euros...let's not be silly now)
    TOPPING said:

My regulatory divergence good
    Your regulatory divergence bad
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Latest YouGov EU poll has a slight recovery for the Tories and a drop of 4 points for the BP.

• Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,038

I was canvassed last night for only the second time ever in my life. East Herts - 50 out of 50 councillors are tories. The guy looked worried and had nothing convincing to say. They don;t normally bother canvassing, this is blue rosette on a donkey territory

I won't be voting conservative, also for only the second time ever. They are going to get smashed out of sight surely. Absolute state of them at the moment.

Local Lib Dems will get my vote (to my surprise!) They have some broadly sensible ideas for mundane local improvements.

I will certainly be voting Conservative in the local elections: East Hampshire District Council is superb.

I’m as yet undecided on the Euros.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724

'Our other car'.

LOL.

Understand what you mean about bus services. We have one each way every half hour Mon-Sat, which is fine, to be fair usually, but there's zilch North-South. To get to the next village North, 5 miles away would be an hour and two buses. To get to the town 7 miles away South where, for historical reason, we belong to several clubs is 50 minutes and two buses.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    YouGov also have general election voting intention:-

Labour 30%
    Conservative 29%
    Brexit 12%
    Lib Dem 10%
    SNP/Plaid 5%
    UKIP 4%
    Green 4%
    Change 3%

Very much back to 2013/15 territory.

Not really. That is my expectation.
    isam said:
    It can be true. In fact, it’s probably encouraged by the leadership of the Met.

Councils like East Herts. would benefit from a viable opposition.

Ouch. And thanks.

A few months ago the BBC repeated a series from about 2012, where a presented (Davies?) showed how Britain was finally getting massive infrastructure projects right. I think the BBC schedulers were having some fun...
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,857

I don't think the Euros will really give a better picture of attitudes to the EU and Brexit than any representative poll. There are too many cross-currents and mixed motives. For instance, I'm a zealous Remainer/Revoker but I wouldn't dream of voting ChUK as I think they damage the chance of an alternative government, and that matters more to me than Brexit. Conversely there will be keen Brexiteers who simply won't vote for Farage or May.

True enough.

I was just looking for a simple way to cut through the fog and detect something obvious if there is anything.

So, for example, if BREXIT party + UKIP together absolutely smash it, that will be evidence that we are still Leave Nation.

Whereas if they underwhelm and TIG + LD do really really well, that will point the other way.

PS: Do you agree with me that Labour will save the full-on pivot to Ref2 for if and when there is a pre-Brexit general election?

TOPPING said:

You're a funny guy. Or dim.

Let's think about the issue in the round. It is not so much regulatory divergence (cf gay marriage/abortion) as, in the sometimes bonkers world of NI/RoI relations, the manifestations of that divergence. Hence there are speed checks everywhere on the island and if it is in NI then the little gun or camera is set to MPH while if it is in the RoI it is set to KPH and no one cares.

If, however, a lorry load of live sheep is transported between the two countries then there really is only one place that it can be checked to ensure it is not entering/leaving the country illegitimately.
    TOPPING said:

OK well how about the trend for bog standard family cars built to look like AH-64 Apaches?

Manufacturers just build what sells. That's why the best selling car in Japan (Honda N-BOX) looks like a loli transporter.

N.B. All of my automotive wisdom should be treated with skepticism. I have five cars (2 x 911, 2 x 330d and a GTR) but only one that can move under its own power and have no licence.

isam said:
    Better than lobbing molotov cocktails and tear gas at each other surely?
    Sean_F said:

Labour 30%
    Conservative 29%
    Brexit 12%
    Lib Dem 10%
    SNP/Plaid 5%
    UKIP 4%
    Green 4%
    Change 3%

That 16% Brexit + UKIP really going to be sanguine about allowing PM Corbyn, come the general?

I can see at least half going to the Tories, when push comes to shove.

Labour on 30% is as interesting.
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Manufacturers just build what sells. That's why the best selling car in Japan (Honda N-BOX) looks like a loli transporter.

N.B. All of my automotive wisdom should be treated with skepticism. I have five cars (2 x 911, 2 x 330d and a GTR) but only one that can move under its own power and have no licence.
    LOL

So plenty of suburban husbands and wives see themselves as Maverick I suppose that is no surprise.
    Meanwhile today's austerity update:

Retail sales +1.1% month on month, +1.6% quarter on quarter, +6.7% year on year:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/retailindustry/bulletins/retailsales/march2019

Sean_F said:

Labour 30%
    Conservative 29%
    Brexit 12%
    Lib Dem 10%
    SNP/Plaid 5%
    UKIP 4%
    Green 4%
    Change 3%

That 16% Brexit + UKIP really going to be sanguine about allowing PM Corbyn, come the general?

Labour and the Conservatives are like a pair of rotting buildings that prop each other up. When one falls, the other follows.

Sean_F said:

Labour 30%
    Conservative 29%
    Brexit 12%
    Lib Dem 10%
    SNP/Plaid 5%
    UKIP 4%
    Green 4%
    Change 3%

Vote Tory, get Corbyn

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-letwin/labours-corbyn-is-someone-we-can-do-business-with-on-brexit-conservative-lawmaker-letwin-idUSKCN1RF0LC

Retail sales +1.1% month on month, +1.6% quarter on quarter, +6.7% year on year:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/retailindustry/bulletins/retailsales/march2019

I expect this quarter's growth number will surprise on the upside.

isam said:
    As long as they aren't saying anything beastly to transgender folk......then the tasers would be out.

Sean_F said:

Labour 30%
    Conservative 29%
    Brexit 12%
    Lib Dem 10%
    SNP/Plaid 5%
    UKIP 4%
    Green 4%
    Change 3%

Vote Tory, get Corbyn

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-letwin/labours-corbyn-is-someone-we-can-do-business-with-on-brexit-conservative-lawmaker-letwin-idUSKCN1RF0LC
    Maybe Conservatives will end up voting tactically for Brexit to keep out Corbyn.
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

No licence?!
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Sean_F said:

I expect this quarter's growth number will surprise on the upside.
    Hammond for Number 10. He doesn't want the job which makes him the ideal caretaker, and he is about the only senior Cabinet minister with any good news to share with the electorate, unless Jeremy Hunt ever does succeed in springing Nazanin from prison in Iran before she reaches the end of her sentence and they let her out anyway.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. JohnL, and yet he isn't sharing it. Osborne made all the running on the economy, Hammond's a gloom merchant who rarely speaks up, and when he does it's about mitigating the woe.
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Labour 30%
    Conservative 29%
    Brexit 12%
    Lib Dem 10%
    SNP/Plaid 5%
    UKIP 4%
    Green 4%
    Change 3%

Labour and the Conservatives are like a pair of rotting buildings that prop each other up. When one falls, the other follows.
    Except, nobody else has shown the ability to build a shiny new replacement tower.

Our politics is going to come from something made out of pallets, with the sophistication of a kiddies den....
    edited April 2019
    kinabalu said:

True enough.

I was just looking for a simple way to cut through the fog and detect something obvious if there is anything.

So, for example, if BREXIT party + UKIP together absolutely smash it, that will be evidence that we are still Leave Nation.

Whereas if they underwhelm and TIG + LD do really really well, that will point the other way.

PS: Do you agree with me that Labour will save the full-on pivot to Ref2 for if and when there is a pre-Brexit general election?
    I don't think Brexit + UKIP v TIG + LD is going to tell us what would happen in any 2ndRef, nor should it be treated as a substitue for one.

Several reasons: Farage is (sadly imo) box-office, none of the other parties have that; turnout will be much lower than in a referendum; many Leavers and Remainers will still vote Labour or Tory as per their loyalties.

Of course, whichever 'side' wins will proclaim it as significant.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Let's think about the issue in the round. It is not so much regulatory divergence (cf gay marriage/abortion) as, in the sometimes bonkers world of NI/RoI relations, the manifestations of that divergence. Hence there are speed checks everywhere on the island and if it is in NI then the little gun or camera is set to MPH while if it is in the RoI it is set to KPH and no one cares.

If, however, a lorry load of live sheep is transported between the two countries then there really is only one place that it can be checked to ensure it is not entering/leaving the country illegitimately.
    Aren't sheep being continuously walked across the border to claim subsidies ?

:wink:

And aren't cars in the South now prohibited from having mph on their speedometer ? If so a clear restriction on travel and trade across the border.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Mr. JohnL, and yet he isn't sharing it. Osborne made all the running on the economy, Hammond's a gloom merchant who rarely speaks up, and when he does it's about mitigating the woe.

Osborne was a disaster for the economy, at least at first. Ed Balls' hand gestures were right. Osborne's Plan A would only have worked when Europe was expanding, and the Germans put the kibosh on that.

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

No licence?!
    I fought the law and the law won. According to my teenage brief I was lucky not to get porridge.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. JohnL, you mean the recession that never was?

Osborne wasn't perfect, but when it came to banging the drum and proclaiming good news and expounding the Conservative approach to the economy he was leagues ahead of the lesser spotted miseryguts.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2019
    isam said:

isam said:

Can this be true?

twitter.com/bermondseyboy68/status/1118668621146984449?s=21

twitter.com/holbornlolz/status/1118781470246617088?s=21
    I have no idea why the criminals aren't at all worried about the coppers these days...unless you write something on twitter that is contentious about trans issues, then they will be round in a second and give you the hard treatment.

Perhaps Crossrail 2 should be cancelled before it is allowed to begin.
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Fair play to the Met dancing with the protestors.

Make love not war.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8128139/yellow-vest-protest-london-brexit-police-attacked/
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

No licence?!
    I fought the law and the law won. According to my teenage brief I was lucky not to get porridge.
    Ah - oh well, at least you are not putting too much mileage on those classics! :lol:
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,547
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Labour 30%
    Conservative 29%
    Brexit 12%
    Lib Dem 10%
    SNP/Plaid 5%
    UKIP 4%
    Green 4%
    Change 3%

Hmm, I wonder. I think one of the big stories of the Euros is going to be that TIG will flop, get well under 5%, and that will, in all probability, be terminal for them. This will boost the two big parties, especially Labour, since it will be a big disincentive to any other centrist MPs thinking of defecting. On the other hand a big vote for Brexit could encourage the ERG ultras to split from the Tories as they may decide that they can retain their seats under a Brexit banner and some of them would be much more comfortable in the Farage world of fantasy promises than in the real world of awkward compromises.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Sean_F said:

Labour 30%
    Conservative 29%
    Brexit 12%
    Lib Dem 10%
    SNP/Plaid 5%
    UKIP 4%
    Green 4%
    Change 3%

Yes it really is.

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    _Anazina_ said:

Make love not war.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8128139/yellow-vest-protest-london-brexit-police-attacked/

Would you approve of them joining in with the EDL?

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

And aren't cars in the South now prohibited from having mph on their speedometer ? If so a clear restriction on travel and trade across the border.
    Can't everyone divide by 8 and multiply by 5 in their head?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    tlg86 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Make love not war.

Do the EDL dance and sing?
    isam said:
    Yes, I too am shocked and disgusted that the cameraman is holding his phone the wrong way around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2picMQC-9E
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    kinabalu said:

Yes, I do. I think the big parties are not going to blow their main ammo on the Euros - indeed, the Tories seem to be writing them off.
    edited April 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Were! Might still be who knows?

Or it could be the Enda Kenny Patented Applauded by PB Leavers Blind Eye Technology at work.

Edit: would be again it seems https://politico.eu/article/smugglers-paradise-ireland-no-deal-brexit/

:smile:
    _Anazina_ said:

isam said:
    Yes, I too am shocked and disgusted that the cameraman is holding his phone the wrong way around.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2picMQC-9E
    You obviously aren't up with the times...portrait is the new landscape.

tlg86 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Make love not war.

They have shit taste in music, and no rhythm.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    This analysis ignores that the parties fundamentally differ on a lot. There's no reason to think every Green voter would be happy to vote for the CUKLDs

tlg86 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Make love not war.

More grunts and salutes with that lot.
    tlg86 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Make love not war.

What a bizarre question. That's like hearing somebody talk approvingly about marchers on the PV march and asking if they'd approve if they had been marching with the EDL instead
    edited April 2019
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Labour 30%
    Conservative 29%
    Brexit 12%
    Lib Dem 10%
    SNP/Plaid 5%
    UKIP 4%
    Green 4%
    Change 3%

Vote Tory, get Corbyn

Maybe Conservatives will end up voting tactically for Brexit to keep out Corbyn.
    Wouldn’t be a bad idea in suburban marginals.
    edited April 2019

tlg86 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Make love not war.

What a bizarre question. That's like hearing somebody talk approvingly about marchers on the PV march and asking if they'd approve if they had been marching with the EDL instead
    No its not. Many of these people are extremists and have caused deliberate criminal acts and damage.

PV march on the other hand didn't at its core have a message to go out and get arrested, which is exactly what the eco-fascists have been telling their supporters.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    _Anazina_ said:

tlg86 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Make love not war.

They have shit taste in music, and no rhythm.
    White supremacists have an odd affinity for deeply crap instruments - banjos in the US, concertinas in S Africa.
  • JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Sean_F said:

Councils like East Herts. would benefit from a viable opposition.
    Yes absolutely. Not convinced another colour of council would necessarily be any better but perpetual one party control is not ideal.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Can't everyone divide by 8 and multiply by 5 in their head?
    There's no shortage of people who couldn't divide by 8 and multiply by 5 with a calculator.

That's even if they knew they had to divide by 8 and multiply by 5 to begin with.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    This assumes that voters can be pushed around like counters on a board, which is not a view that anyone who's ever had contact with them is likely to endorse.

If LD+ChUK+Grn have so much in common they should form a single party, which would be of even more use in FPTP elections than those conducted under some form of PR. They won't, of course, because they don't have so much in common.

tlg86 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Make love not war.

So you think it's okay for the police to join in with an illegal demonstration?

Ouch. And thanks.

A few months ago the BBC repeated a series from about 2012, where a presented (Davies?) showed how Britain was finally getting massive infrastructure projects right. I think the BBC schedulers were having some fun...

Ouch. And thanks.

Like all railway projects Crossrail massively underestimated the time required to do systems integration in its programme. WCML was the same. HS2 will be worse - there’s no way that’s opening in 2026. The huge delay on bringing into use the Waterloo international platforms is another example.

Railways are very regulated and black and white as it’s a completely interlocked system from head to toe. Either everything is finished or nothing is finished. Either it’s completely safe or it doesn’t open.

Any big railway should have 4-5 years for this stuff.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Make love not war.

More grunts and salutes with that lot.
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6t9tsi

These EDL members are in good voice
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Labour 30%
    Conservative 29%
    Brexit 12%
    Lib Dem 10%
    SNP/Plaid 5%
    UKIP 4%
    Green 4%
    Change 3%

Hmm, I wonder. I think one of the big stories of the Euros is going to be that TIG will flop, get well under 5%, and that will, in all probability, be terminal for them. This will boost the two big parties, especially Labour, since it will be a big disincentive to any other centrist MPs thinking of defecting. On the other hand a big vote for Brexit could encourage the ERG ultras to split from the Tories as they may decide that they can retain their seats under a Brexit banner and some of them would be much more comfortable in the Farage world of fantasy promises than in the real world of awkward compromises.
    Moderate labour are going somewhere and its not the LD, I think Change will do ok, probably around 8% and pick up one or two MEPs, if Corbyn fails to commit to a second ref they could get double figures
    Theres plenty of new kid interest in them rn on fb etc

This assumes that voters can be pushed around like counters on a board, which is not a view that anyone who's ever had contact with them is likely to endorse.

If LD+ChUK+Grn have so much in common they should form a single party, which would be of even more use in FPTP elections than those conducted under some form of PR. They won't, of course, because they don't have so much in common.
    The splitters don't have much in common with each other never mind with the LibDems and Greens.

Perhaps Crossrail 2 should be cancelled before it is allowed to begin.

So speaks a voice of ignorance.

We get this all the time.

tlg86 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Make love not war.

No its not. Many of these people are extremists and have caused deliberate criminal acts and damage.

PV march on the other hand didn't at its core have a message to go out and get arrested.
    Ugh, I didn't say they were the same as PV, I was giving an example to show why it makes no sense to say that people have to act the same way towards two different marches
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697

Oh, so it seems now Remoaners are agreeing that the EP elections aren’t a proxy 2nd referendum.

Got it.

LOL! Getting the narrative sorted early for how Brexit Party winning the EU elections is of now significance... ;)

isam said:
    Better than lobbing molotov cocktails and tear gas at each other surely?
    The police should display a cordial but steadfastly professional attitude when conducting policing.

Ouch. And thanks.

Ouch. And thanks.

Like all railway projects Crossrail massively underestimated the time required to do systems integration in its programme. WCML was the same. HS2 will be worse - there’s no way that’s opening in 2026. The huge delay on bringing into use the Waterloo international platforms is another example.

Railways are very regulated and black and white as it’s a completely interlocked system from head to toe. Either everything is finished or nothing is finished. Either it’s completely safe or it doesn’t open.

Any big railway should have 4-5 years for this stuff.
    AFAICR HS1 phase 1 and 2 were not too bad timescale-wise (though financially they were poor). But they were (relatively) fresh railways. the WCML and GWML updates are trying to upgrade hundreds of miles of operating railway.

I've just re-read 'I tried to run a railway', by Gerard Fiennes. In it, he states how for the GEML electrification in the 1960s it would have been far easier just to shut the railway for a few months.

It seems we don't learn from history ...

tlg86 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Make love not war.

PV march on the other hand didn't at its core have a message to go out and get arrested.
    Ugh, I didn't say they were the same as PV, I was giving an example to show why it makes no sense to say that people have to act the same way towards two different marches
    That you can't see the difference between private individuals going on a march/illegal demonstration and on-duty police officers says a lot about you.
This discussion has been closed.