Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If we get to a Peterborough by-election it’s going to be a cor

13»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Is washing cars and selling the Big Issue seasonal work ?

The Albanian mafia has the car wash business monopoly and the Romanians "self employed" moved on the big issue gig far before they had free movement.
    Apparently Albanian's are running London's drug trade from the Gascoyne Estate in Barking., and the reason there are 2 Turkish Hairdressers and 3 Turkish restaurants in every street in Essex is laundered drug money... How did so many Albanians and Turks get to live here anyway?
    I thought the latest statistics had the vast majority of the drug trade going online?

Why get ripped off buying from someone on a street corner when you can get stuff mailed to you, and every vendor is rated?
    I really wouldn’t know, but The Guardian are gushing with praise for the Albanian’s business nous

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/13/kings-of-cocaine-albanian-mafia-uk-drugs-crime
    The Albanian effect has profoundly shaped the use, production and economy of cocaine. The drug is at its cheapest in the UK since 1990 and purer than it has been for a decade

They have shown that you don’t have to be greedy to dominate drug markets. They’ve gone down the route of sustainable prices, good quality

Such an inspiration!
  • Options

Haven't the EU said they would agree a CU ?

Though the details would have to be sorted out afterwards.

Yes - they said agreement in principle would only take 2-3 days, and it would be a sensible reason to have an extension. The only problem is that if we suddenly come round to it now, that short extension will trigger the European Parliament election.

Mind you, that'd be a bit silly but hardly the end of the world - I'm not clear why everyone is so worked up about it. When UKIP won previously, eyebrows were raised for a day or so and then the agenda moved on.
    If we take part in the EU elections, are we bound to make contributions for the entire next budget cycle?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,115

Haven't the EU said they would agree a CU ?

Though the details would have to be sorted out afterwards.

Yes - they said agreement in principle would only take 2-3 days, and it would be a sensible reason to have an extension. The only problem is that if we suddenly come round to it now, that short extension will trigger the European Parliament election.

Mind you, that'd be a bit silly but hardly the end of the world - I'm not clear why everyone is so worked up about it. When UKIP won previously, eyebrows were raised for a day or so and then the agenda moved on.
    If we take part in the EU elections, are we bound to make contributions for the entire next budget cycle?
    No, the budget cycle is a separate issue. If we took part in elections and then were out by the original end of transition date then there shouldn't be any impact on contributions.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    What's the point of a political party that's afraid of elections?

"Delaying Brexit for EU elections will pose 'existential threat' to the Tories, MPs warn Theresa May"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/04/05/brexit-latest-news-donald-tusk-suggests-flextension-amid-discussions/
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

Alistair said:

isam said:

The Albanian mafia has the car wash business monopoly and the Romanians "self employed" moved on the big issue gig far before they had free movement.
    Apparently Albanian's are running London's drug trade from the Gascoyne Estate in Barking., and the reason there are 2 Turkish Hairdressers and 3 Turkish restaurants in every street in Essex is laundered drug money... How did so many Albanians and Turks get to live here anyway?
    Those EuroMart shops with a customer catchment area of 100 yards are assumed by everyone I know to be centres of dubious activity.
    There's a long standing 24 hour hand car wash on Maryhill Road in Glasgow that always had massive queues waiting to be be serviced, been there decades.

I has always assumed it was a front for drugs. However a fried who lived nearby assured me it was the best car wash and valet in Glasgow bar none.
    There used to be a bikini car wash advertised in the East End of Glasgow. Never partook of it myself so not sure of the 'front' element.

Edit: just remembered the name, Soapy Bubbles!
    Did it go bust?
    Tits up.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

Those EuroMart shops with a customer catchment area of 100 yards are assumed by everyone I know to be centres of dubious activity.
    There's a long standing 24 hour hand car wash on Maryhill Road in Glasgow that always had massive queues waiting to be be serviced, been there decades.

I has always assumed it was a front for drugs. However a fried who lived nearby assured me it was the best car wash and valet in Glasgow bar none.
    There used to be a bikini car wash advertised in the East End of Glasgow. Never partook of it myself so not sure of the 'front' element.

Did it go bust?
    Tits up.
    They boobed
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    edited April 2019
    'EU sources said that strong conditions on any extension might be the key to persuading France to agree to avoid no deal.'

The key seems to be also on the French side the UK offering something new eg Deal plus CU by a majority vote of the Commons. However given the voting last week the likeliest outcome is the Commons would vote narrowly to revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit completely at the end of next week rather than proceed to No Deal, even Lisa Nandy today said she would vote to revoke Article 50 over No Deal and as she represents a strong Leave seat and is seen as someone who might back a Brexit Deal that could prove significant especially with at least 10 Tory MPs already having voted to revoke and more MPs having voted for the revoke amendment than the No Deal amendment
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    viewcode said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

Did it go bust?
    Tits up.
    They boobed
    So cold too!
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    HYUFD said:

'EU sources said that strong conditions on any extension might be the key to persuading France to agree to avoid no deal.'

The key seems to be also on the French side the UK offering something new eg Deal plus CU by a majority vote of the Commons. However given the voting last week the likeliest outcome is the Commons would vote narrowly to revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit completely at the end of next week rather than proceed to No Deal, even Lisa Nandy today said she would vote to revoke Article 50 over No Deal and as she represents a strong Leave seat and is seen as someone who might back a Brexit Deal that could prove significant especially with at least 10 Tory MPs already having voted to revoke and more MPs having voted for the revoke amendment than the No Deal amendment
    Would you let this man look after your grandma?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

HYUFD said:

Would you let this man look after your grandma?
    Do you mean Macron?

There is more of a chance he would try to marry your grandma!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    OT the Albanian drugs story earlier in this thread was accompanied (for me) by a Guardian advert for a London-based solicitor on a mere £28,000.
  • Options

isam said:

Another stabbing outside Ilford station today - in broad daylight, but victim survived:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/ilford-stabbing-young-man-stabbed-in-broad-daylight-outside-busy-train-station-in-east-london-a4110756.html
    Ironically the station is plastered with "safe station" posters.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Brexit. Another day gone and the light at the tunnel seems farther away than ever.

Depends how you look at it. The PM has to be seen exhausting all the potential avenues before either she kicks the can down the road with further extension or brings the matter to an end with Revocation of Article 50. No Deal is just used as a bogey man in that it is an unusable option. I could be wrong! Nothing is clear-cut in this situation but the PM and her party is bust whichever way you end it. Revoke is more survivable than No Deal, although some of the head bangers might peel off, I cannot see some Tory backbenchers or ministers leaving the party. So Revoke is more plausible than No Deal.
    The problem you have is that you come from the remain side and so see Revoke as plausible and less damaging. For many on the Leave side, myself included, No Deal, whilst not the preferred result, is far less damaging to our democracy than Revoke. It is a gamble either way as we neither of us objectively know which is the less damaging route.

Frankly for the vast majority of people in the country, the Tories going bust is neither here nor there.
    No deal versus revoke is not just about democracy and the inviolability of the referendum result. There are also the economic effects. If we stay in the EU, we will have lost some institutions and jobs for no benefit. If we crash out, we will have lost those same jobs, and will experience economic and logistical disruption that will be blamed on the government separately from Brexit. Of course, in a year or several, the benefits of being outside the EU (if the headbangers are correct) will start to trickle through but by then it will be too late to save the Conservative Party.

Ironically, the blue team in Opposition will be able to blame the consequences of its own Brexit policy on Prime Minister Corbyn's nationalisation of manhole covers and subsidy of Venezuelan oil imports.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited April 2019
    Question about Customs Union. It has been said that a problem with the customs union is that we are forced to accept EU import tariffs whilst not getting the benefits of trade deal EU export tariffs to countries outside of the EU. Is this true, and if so why are businesses which trade outside the EU (who would in many cases be facing an overnight increase in tariffs?) not making this point more forcefully, as it would surely put the Customs Union “solution” in a whole different light? Or would current export tariffs not be affected, only those negotiated in future?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038

Jonathan said:

Brexit. Another day gone and the light at the tunnel seems farther away than ever.

Depends how you look at it. The PM has to be seen exhausting all the potential avenues before either she kicks the can down the road with further extension or brings the matter to an end with Revocation of Article 50. No Deal is just used as a bogey man in that it is an unusable option. I could be wrong! Nothing is clear-cut in this situation but the PM and her party is bust whichever way you end it. Revoke is more survivable than No Deal, although some of the head bangers might peel off, I cannot see some Tory backbenchers or ministers leaving the party. So Revoke is more plausible than No Deal.
    The problem you have is that you come from the remain side and so see Revoke as plausible and less damaging. For many on the Leave side, myself included, No Deal, whilst not the preferred result, is far less damaging to our democracy than Revoke. It is a gamble either way as we neither of us objectively know which is the less damaging route.

Frankly for the vast majority of people in the country, the Tories going bust is neither here nor there.
    No deal versus revoke is not just about democracy and the inviolability of the referendum result. There are also the economic effects. If we stay in the EU, we will have lost some institutions and jobs for no benefit. If we crash out, we will have lost those same jobs, and will experience economic and logistical disruption that will be blamed on the government separately from Brexit. Of course, in a year or several, the benefits of being outside the EU (if the headbangers are correct) will start to trickle through but by then it will be too late to save the Conservative Party.

Ironically, the blue team in Opposition will be able to blame the consequences of its own Brexit policy on Prime Minister Corbyn's nationalisation of manhole covers and subsidy of Venezuelan oil imports.
    Good post.

And morning all.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Floater said:
    Having France to blame for a No Deal departure from the EU would seem like all May's Christmases would have come at once....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    I see that, according to the BBC, the first passports which don't mention the EU have been issued, although they're still burgundy. If we don't actually leave, I wonder if they'll become collectors pieces.
  • Options

Floater said:
    Having France to blame for a No Deal departure from the EU would seem like all May's Christmases would have come at once....
    How does that work in the context of the next election when President Macron will not be putting up candidates in Dunny-on-the-Wold?
  • Options

I see that, according to the BBC, the first passports which don't mention the EU have been issued, although they're still burgundy. If we don't actually leave, I wonder if they'll become collectors pieces.

Is it legal to sell passports? Still conversation pieces, mind.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

Is it legal to sell passports? Still conversation pieces, mind.
    Don't they technically belong to the government? In which case the answer would be no.

Although I think the rules around selling current passports may link to terrorism, identity theft etc.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

isam said:

Another stabbing outside Ilford station today - in broad daylight, but victim survived:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/ilford-stabbing-young-man-stabbed-in-broad-daylight-outside-busy-train-station-in-east-london-a4110756.html
    Its one thing having these incidents happening late at night but this took place in broad daylight at 3.30pm as kids were coming home from school.

Ilford died to me when the landmark Bodgers department store shut last year. The town has gone so down hill it would make you cry.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Good morning, my fellow Argonians.

Reckon Labour will hold it, but we live in odd times. Would the Tiggers put someone up?
  • Options

Reckon Labour will hold it, but we live in odd times. Would the Tiggers put someone up?

Why? Would they be looking for a Bounce?
  • Options
    Oh, and my book is out today, the final part of The Bloody Crown Trilogy:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crown-Blood-Bloody-Trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B07PLFC2PB/

Great for those who like a kingdom riven with infighting, but prefer broadswords to customs unions, competent leaders to buffoons, and a plot that moves on instead of repeating itself constantly.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    viewcode said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

Did it go bust?
    Tits up.
    They boobed
    was it staffed by knocker boys?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited April 2019
    ydoethur said:

Why? Would they be looking for a Bounce?
    Its interesting that despite Ukip not fielding a candidate, an uber Brexiteer incumbent failed to capitalise on this and hold the seat?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    brendan16 said:

“Are half the NI electorate really Irish *without also being British* citizens? I haven’t checked, but it would surprise me”

Every one born in NI pre 2005 or is the child of such a person is automatically a UK citizen and is also legally able to claim Irish citizenship. As several Aussie MPs have found out to their cost thinking you aren’t British doesn’t mean you aren’t British (if your parents were) unless you formally renounce UK citizenship. No one is denying anyone anything as they are legally both Irish if they wish and also British . The Irish passport makes no reference to a border - it refers to the island of Ireland.

This is a lot of fuss over nowt!

Apparently DUP MPs are advising their constituents to get Irish passports. Which is ironic on quite a lot of levels.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

isam said:

Its one thing having these incidents happening late at night but this took place in broad daylight at 3.30pm as kids were coming home from school.

Ilford died to me when the landmark Bodgers department store shut last year. The town has gone so down hill it would make you cry.
    If you look again at that photograph, you can see that still attached to the railings are balloons and other tributes to Che, who was murdered in the same spot last month.

There are a lot of Turkish Meze restaurants but they might not just be about money laundering. One attraction for the Asian Muslim community is they are Halal. Earlier there was a wave of ice cream parlours, most of which are still there.

But Bodgers has gone, and Fairheads and Harrison Gibson. No longer is Ilford a shopping destination.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,472
    Any tips for the National?
  • Options

Floater said:
    How does that work in the context of the next election when President Macron will not be putting up candidates in Dunny-on-the-Wold?
    Because those in Dunny-on-the-Wold who wanted to No Deal will have someone to point to in Paris to blame for the chaos. Those who voted Remain but had concerns about the EU will be comforted that their initial worries were well founded. The Europhile Remainers will know we ain't ever going back into the EU now, and Rejoin will be closed down, at least for the foreseeable future. And May would come out of it like a war-time leader, with the Tory Party magically sewn back together....
  • Options

It's going to be won by a horse.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    ydoethur said:

It might not.. What if all the horses failed to finish?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Then the race is scratched, I believe.

I think there was a National where only one horse finished, after a horse very appropriately called Popham Down wiped out all the others - but I don't think there have ever been no finishers.
  • Options

Is it still sponsored by Pedigree Chum?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    alex. said:

Question about Customs Union. It has been said that a problem with the customs union is that we are forced to accept EU import tariffs whilst not getting the benefits of trade deal EU export tariffs to countries outside of the EU. Is this true, and if so why are businesses which trade outside the EU (who would in many cases be facing an overnight increase in tariffs?) not making this point more forcefully, as it would surely put the Customs Union “solution” in a whole different light? Or would current export tariffs not be affected, only those negotiated in future?

I could be wrong but I think if we are in THE customs union we do get the export benefits but if we are just in A customs union we dont. I think Turkey is in the second position.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902

Don’t bother. Apparently if the wrong horse is winning at the end of the race they’re going to extend the course by a few furlongs to get the right result. If necessary they’ll send the horses back to the start and keep going around in circles til everyone has had enough.

(Satire)
  • Options
    Still remember my dad picking the National winner a few years ago and asking me to place the bet (he usually doesn't gamble). I put a few extra pounds on myself, as I would've been annoyed if he'd won and I'd made nothing :p
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Jonathan said:

Don’t bother. Apparently if the wrong horse is winning at the end of the race they’re going to extend the course by a few furlongs to get the right result. If necessary they’ll send the horses back to the start and keep going around in circles til everyone has had enough.

(Satire)
    Very good!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

DougSeal said:

Chris said:

Well, anyhow, if the government really isn't prepared to consider any changes to the wording of the political declaration, we are going to be leaving with no deal a week today.

In preparing for this, as far as I can tell, the main things to remember are that the supermarkets have reasonably large stockpiles of food that can be stored at ambient temperature. It's food that needs to be frozen or chilled that is likely to be a problem in the event of no deal.

I don't think that No Deal is going to happen. The breakdown in Tory / Labour talks was utterly predictable as is the enduring opposition to the Deal by ERG/DUP. My feeling is the PM and her Government has to be seen to exhaust all avenues to achieving the deal, then she will revoke.
    I don’t think so. I think the choice for May is no deal and destroy the Union or revoke and destroy the Tory Party. Her loyalty to party is stronger - just. It’s been the centre of her world since she was a teenager.
    Ruth Davidson is scheduled to come back from maternity leave at the beginning of May. I wonder what she thinks about all this.
    she will think what London tell her to think as usual.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Jonathan said:

(Satire)
    I was thinking more of Marx:

Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts and personages appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce. Caussidière for Danton, Louis Blanc for Robespierre, the Montagne of 1848 to 1851 for the Montagne of 1793 to 1795, the nephew for the uncle.

Although I don't think he anticipated quite the speed with which history is currently repeating itself!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325

Floater said:
    Because those in Dunny-on-the-Wold who wanted to No Deal will have someone to point to in Paris to blame for the chaos. Those who voted Remain but had concerns about the EU will be comforted that their initial worries were well founded. The Europhile Remainers will know we ain't ever going back into the EU now, and Rejoin will be closed down, at least for the foreseeable future. And May would come out of it like a war-time leader, with the Tory Party magically sewn back together....
    Substance abuse so early in the weekend isn't a good look.

As the French politician on the radio just now explained, the EU will stay united on whatever is decided (and a longer extension is the desired answer).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Chris said:

Well, anyhow, if the government really isn't prepared to consider any changes to the wording of the political declaration, we are going to be leaving with no deal a week today.

In preparing for this, as far as I can tell, the main things to remember are that the supermarkets have reasonably large stockpiles of food that can be stored at ambient temperature. It's food that needs to be frozen or chilled that is likely to be a problem in the event of no deal.

I don't think that No Deal is going to happen. The breakdown in Tory / Labour talks was utterly predictable as is the enduring opposition to the Deal by ERG/DUP. My feeling is the PM and her Government has to be seen to exhaust all avenues to achieving the deal, then she will revoke.
    Revoke means the ruination of the Conservative party and PM Corbyn.

Do you think the government will chose that ?

I'm hoping for a WDA+CU agreement next week after all the posturing.
    No Deal means the disintegration of the Tories as well! That then means Corbyn as PM. Do you really think the Brexiteers in cabinet are going to walk? I am talking Fox, Grayling etc if they revoke Article 50? I don't think so. ERG/DUP are not going to back down in sufficient numbers to get the Deal through Parliament. I could of course be completely wrong but as I have posted before my view of the PMs strategy is one of exploring all avenues before the big decision of Revoke is countenanced.

SNIP
    How will the non European immigrant on £1 a day get to work legally in the UK?
    Probably via a seasonal workers visa. So the Oles and Lithuanians will be replaced by Ukrainians and Belarussians, perhaps Egyptians, Turks and Morroccans too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45429397
    Can’t the Poles & Lithuanians apply for those visa’s then?
    You're as bad as Malcolm...
    Wait , What ? is this defamation I see before me
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

(Satire)
    A unicorn is going to win. I read it on the side of a bus.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

(Satire)
    A unicorn is going to win. I read it on the side of a bus.
    The money appears to be on nothing having changed since last year.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Floater said:
    Substance abuse so early in the weekend isn't a good look.

As the French politician on the radio just now explained, the EU will stay united on whatever is decided (and a longer extension is the desired answer).
    "Oi, Macron - get back in your box!"

"Non....."
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Then the race is scratched, I believe.

I think there was a National where only one horse finished, after a horse very appropriately called Popham Down wiped out all the others - but I don't think there have ever been no finishers.
    You are thinking of the 1967 Grand National won by Foinaven at 100/1. It is not quite true that he was the only finisher, as you can see in this brief (40 seconds) video. No horses were hurt in the pile-up at what is now called the Foinaven fence.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE4p-cUWDfU
  • Options

Is it still sponsored by Pedigree Chum?
    The sponsor of the race after the Grand National is a familiar pb name.
  • Options

Mine are Vintage Clouds , Rathvinden and Walk in the Mill.
    Bet on them at your own peril.
  • Options
    "We're not saying anything definitely but we have a position"

Labour's approach to Brexit in a nutshell. Diane on the radio just now.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

There seems to be some sort of buzz around Vintage Clouds, and with some bookmakers paying down to five or even six places, he might be worth a pound each-way; he does come second an awful lot. I'm still undecided. Joe Farrell is one I've backed with probably more to come.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

"We're not saying anything definitely but we have a position"

Labour's approach to Brexit in a nutshell. Diane on the radio just now.

To be fair, that is everyone's approach to Brexit, except for the Prime Minister who repeatedly offers compromise talks to Labour, SNP, her own ERG backbenchers, and the EU itself, only to reveal that compromise is only possible if neither the WA nor PD can be changed by a single dot or comma.
  • Options
    A shambles on which the sun never sets: how the world sees Brexit

Rapt observers around the globe are confused, amused and saddened by a crisis that has torn Britain’s reputation for stability to shreds

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/06/a-shambles-on-which-the-sun-never-sets-how-the-world-sees-brexit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet

"If you can’t take a joke you shouldn’t come to London right now, because there is political farce everywhere"

"determined to commit economic suicide but unable even to agree on how to kill itself"

"led by 'a ship of fools' unwilling to “compromise with one another and with reality"

"the last act in Britain’s decline from imperial hubris to laughing stock"

"Brexit will mark the end of Britain’s role as a great power"

"deluded by their popular, lowbrow, chauvinistic, rightwing press"

"We get a feeling of a sinking ship"

"lawmakers seeming as though they are asking for the impossible"
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Chris said:

I don’t think so. I think the choice for May is no deal and destroy the Union or revoke and destroy the Tory Party. Her loyalty to party is stronger - just. It’s been the centre of her world since she was a teenager.
    Ruth Davidson is scheduled to come back from maternity leave at the beginning of May. I wonder what she thinks about all this.
    she will think what London tell her to think as usual.
    Really, Ruth has never followed London lead in the past. She even rejected TM manifesto at last election and fought it on the union with much more success than her English colleagues.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
This discussion has been closed.