Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If we get to a Peterborough by-election it’s going to be a cor

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    edited April 2019
    Foxy said:

While Asange is a bail jumper, I don't think others typically get pursued quite so enthusiastically. It is a useful justification for keeping tabs on a foreign agent of influence, a bit like busting Capone for tax evasion.

In this case it's severely complicated by the fact they know where he is, which is not usual in a case of failing to surrender to bail.

It resembles more the medieval church laws on sanctuary, where a posse stood guard outside to make sure the fugitive didn't leave.

It also shows why other countries shouldn't abuse their diplomatic rights. If it does show anything, what it certainly shows is that a new treaty on fugitives in embassies limiting their time in them to say, three months is needed.

And of course the fact we now know he and many of his supporters are as you say effectively Russian agents does muddy the pool somewhat.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,104

Presumably, if the talks between the goverment and Labour break down, as seems likely, the PMs fallback will kick in on Monday?...

"However, if we cannot agree on a single unified approach, then we would instead agree a number of options for the Future Relationship that we could put to the House in a series of votes to determine which course to pursue.

Crucially, the Government stands ready to abide by the decision of the House."

So if the government brings forward MV3 and a CU is added in amendment does the government then support it ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,962

Is washing cars and selling the Big Issue seasonal work ?

The Albanian mafia has the car wash business monopoly and the Romanians "self employed" moved on the big issue gig far before they had free movement.
    Apparently Albanian's are running London's drug trade from the Gascoyne Estate in Barking., and the reason there are 2 Turkish Hairdressers and 3 Turkish restaurants in every street in Essex is laundered drug money... How did so many Albanians and Turks get to live here anyway?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Funny how certain sections of the media has totally disowned Assange....I remember when he was their hero.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    isam said:

The Albanian mafia has the car wash business monopoly and the Romanians "self employed" moved on the big issue gig far before they had free movement.
    Apparently Albanian's are running London's drug trade from the Gascoyne Estate in Barking., and the reason there are 2 Turkish Hairdressers and 3 Turkish restaurants in every street in Essex is laundered drug money... How did so many Albanians and Turks get to live here anyway?
    What you mean not everybody wants a Turkish style hair-cut....I just presumed the 10,000 Turkish barbers in every town was because they were "in".
  • Options

Funny how certain sections of the media has totally disowned Assange....I remember when he was their hero.

He was Ace, but now he's Trump...
  • Options
    isam said:

My goodness, what is it with rogue apostrophes today?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

How will the non European immigrant on £1 a day get to work legally in the UK?

Probably via a seasonal workers visa. So the Poles and Lithuanians will be replaced by Ukrainians and Belarussians, perhaps Egyptians, Turks and Morroccans too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45429397
    I wouldn't have thought so.
    The net immigration from agriculture must be no more than a few thousand.

Its the low grade service sector jobs which are dependent upon ever cheaper and more exploitable immigrants.
    You mean the cheap services that poor people use?
    The poor don't go to restaurants and hotels that much.

Nor do they employ cleaners and people in hi vis gear.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    ydoethur said:

Funny how the other hero, Glenn Greenwald is also not very popular in certain circles, after he went very big on how Russian had nothing to do with influencing US elections.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,739
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

My goodness, what is it with rogue apostrophes today?
    It's a bug in the bot code.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

Albanians are non EU.

Under existing FOM rules (that we have never enforced) it is possible to deport EU citizens who do not support themselves by working.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30002138
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,502
    ydoethur said:

YES. A thousand times yes. He should be allowed to escape. Bingo. Well done.

I don't approve of anyone breaking the law. Which is why I don't approve of millions of pounds of police recources that could have been spent on criminal or terrorism investigation or prevention on the streets of London being spent on keeping someone who represents no threat to the British public holed up in an embassy.

And I think you mean his alleged crimes, if we're respecting the legal process...

Failing to surrender to bail is a crime.

The rest of your arguments amount to 'people I don't like should be investigated when allegations are made, but people I like should get away with it because it's all really a plot because I say so.'

And you accuse others of being ridiculous?

May I draw your attention to the Gospel according to St Matthew, chapter 7, verses 1-5?
    A crime which still has to be proven before guilt is pronounced.

My argument is simply that our police force aims to deliver the greatest outcome for the greatest number. It shouldn't even need to be made.

By contrast, your defence of this fiasco is simply woeful, utterly unjustifiable, and you, and, everyone reading it, knows it.

There doesn't seem to be anything further to be said.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Funny how the other hero, Glenn Greenwald is also not very popular in certain circles, after he went very big on how Russian had nothing to do with influencing US elections.
    I'd never actually heard of him until this moment. He clearly didn't Putin as much effort into narcissistic self-promotion as Assange.
  • Options

isam said:

What you mean not everybody wants a Turkish style hair-cut....I just presumed the 10,000 Turkish barbers in every town was because they were "in".
    Gascoigne Estate, sorry. Don't know why I spelled it that way

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/13/kings-of-cocaine-albanian-mafia-uk-drugs-crime
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Foxy said:

Albanians are non EU.

Under existing FOM rules (that we have never enforced) it is possible to deport EU citizens who do not support themselves by working.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30002138
    I know they are non-EU, just pointing out the reality of the situation.
  • Options

Presumably, if the talks between the goverment and Labour break down, as seems likely, the PMs fallback will kick in on Monday?...

"However, if we cannot agree on a single unified approach, then we would instead agree a number of options for the Future Relationship that we could put to the House in a series of votes to determine which course to pursue.

So if the government brings forward MV3 and a CU is added in amendment does the government then support it ?
    I don't see how a CU amendment works - the EU would need to agree it. A PV amendment however would only need the EU to agree a suitable extension, which I think they would.
  • Options
    isam said:

Those EuroMart shops with a customer catchment area of 100 yards are assumed by everyone I know to be centres of dubious activity.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'd never actually heard of him until this moment. He clearly didn't Putin as much effort into narcissistic self-promotion as Assange.
    How have you not heard of him? When the Guardian were going massive on Snowdon, he was the journalist responsible for the "scoop".

Then lets just say it became clear that perhaps he wasn't an impartial observer.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/13/kings-of-cocaine-albanian-mafia-uk-drugs-crime
    Neither Albania or Turkey are in the EU, so how does Brexit solve this?
  • Options

isam said:

Those EuroMart shops with a customer catchment area of 100 yards are assumed by everyone I know to be centres of dubious activity.
    Noooo...say it isn't true...those shops that have virtually no stock (at least legit stock that is on the shelves).
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

Now you're just complicating the argument with facts!
  • Options
    edited April 2019

ydoethur said:

YES. A thousand times yes. He should be allowed to escape. Bingo. Well done.

I don't approve of anyone breaking the law. Which is why I don't approve of millions of pounds of police recources that could have been spent on criminal or terrorism investigation or prevention on the streets of London being spent on keeping someone who represents no threat to the British public holed up in an embassy.

And I think you mean his alleged crimes, if we're respecting the legal process...

Failing to surrender to bail is a crime.

The rest of your arguments amount to 'people I don't like should be investigated when allegations are made, but people I like should get away with it because it's all really a plot because I say so.'

And you accuse others of being ridiculous?

May I draw your attention to the Gospel according to St Matthew, chapter 7, verses 1-5?
    A crime which still has to be proven before guilt is pronounced.

My argument is simply that our police force aims to deliver the greatest outcome for the greatest number. It shouldn't even need to be made.

By contrast, your defence of this fiasco is simply woeful, utterly unjustifiable, and you, and, everyone reading it, knows it.

There doesn't seem to be anything further to be said.
    Are you saying he didn't fail to surrender to bail?!!! Because if so your argument is as unconvincing as the frantic efforts of Labour supporters to say *that* manifesto with a £500 billion black hole was fully costed.

And I thought David Irving and Richard Carrier had difficulty with facts that didn't fit their mad conspiracy theories...

Believe your alternate reality if you like (and that goes for your views on the Titanic as well). Indeed, try to bully me if you like. I actually find your increasingly bizarre attempts to justify your lies and double standards rather amusing. It's a bit like the Jezziah, a person noted for his, ummm, interesting views on the Jews accusing me of being a Nazi.

But be aware that you are the one who comes across as pathetic, as well as an apologist for criminals.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

Well there is rather an issue with certain EU countries being shall we say liberal with passports and / or not that fussed about fake ones being produced.
  • Options

I don't see how a CU amendment works - the EU would need to agree it. A PV amendment however would only need the EU to agree a suitable extension, which I think they would.
    Haven't the EU said they would agree a CU ?

Though the details would have to be sorted out afterwards.
  • Options

isam said:

They need to get with the times. In Leicester the dealers run a sophisticated just in time delivery service with hoodies on BMX bikes. Like Deliveroo for people who would rather detroy their brain than their waistlines.
  • Options

isam said:

They've certainly spread - I don't think I'd seen any until the last ten years or so.
  • Options

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

Well, we can't be having that.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2019

rpjs said:

dixiedean said:

First. And please tell me the Karen Bradley thing is a mistake...
    Like my first.
    It's the new third.

Bradley is dumb enough to make that mistake, but I didn't think Ministers wrote their own answers. I thought civil servants would do that and a Minister approve or amend.

I'm shocked that her civil servants allowed her to make such a basic shocking error. Presumably all of the civil servants who can hold a pencil the right way round have been seconded to work on no deal preparation, but even so.
    Actually strictly speaking it is accurate. AIUI British citizens resident in (the Republic of) Ireland are ineligible to vote in referendums to amend the constitution, but not other referendums (it's just that the Republic has never had a referendum that's not to amend the constitution). As the UK does not vote for its head of state, nor does it have a written constitution so no constitutional referendums, the claim of reciprocity is correct.
    Ah, so you are saying that Twitter has frothed itself into a rage over a question of a technical definition?

Certainly plausible.
    Yes. We don’t have a constitution to amend so the written reply from KB is right and Twitter is wrong.

If Ireland ever had a referendum which didn’t involve a constitutional amendment UK nationals would be able to vote. But it’s unlikely as that’s why Ireland has referendums - as they are only required to amend the constitution eg changing marriage definitions, abortion and EU treaties. Because the Catholic Church had a strong influence until the 1990s the constitution delves into family and social issues in ways which those of many other nations don’t.
  • Options

I don't know - I've lost track to be honest.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Probably via a seasonal workers visa. So the Poles and Lithuanians will be replaced by Ukrainians and Belarussians, perhaps Egyptians, Turks and Morroccans too.

Its the low grade service sector jobs which are dependent upon ever cheaper and more exploitable immigrants.

They do go to pubs, burger joints and need cheap plumbers though.
  • Options

Haven't we all :wink:
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

I think everyone has. Maybe that is May's trick. Like spinning kids around on a roundabout so fast that when they come off they don't know which way they are pointing. She'll just present us with something and say it is what we asked for all along. Most people will be so dizzy they won't remember what the hell they wanted.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Would of course be first female Chancellor, and one of only two Great Offices not yet held by at least one woman.
  • Options

isam said:

They've certainly spread - I don't think I'd seen any until the last ten years or so.
    Supply and demand. If you have ever had a Turkish Headshave with hot towels you will know how great it feels. Kind of makes you understand why women like going to the hairdressers.
  • Options
    Totally O/T....if you want a good documentary, "a honest liar" is worth a watch.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,368
    isam said:

Another stabbing outside Ilford station today - in broad daylight, but victim survived:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/ilford-stabbing-young-man-stabbed-in-broad-daylight-outside-busy-train-station-in-east-london-a4110756.html
  • Options

isam said:

Supply and demand. If you have ever had a Turkish Headshave with hot towels you will know how great it feels. Kind of makes you understand why women like going to the hairdressers.
    It would have to be pretty great to make up for not having any hair afterwards :wink:
  • Options
    edited April 2019

isam said:

It would have to be pretty great to make up for not having any hair afterwards :wink:
    Some of us don't have much choice in that :)

Edit: As you would probably realise if you looked at my avatar.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited April 2019
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

While Asange is a bail jumper, I don't think others typically get pursued quite so enthusiastically. It is a useful justification for keeping tabs on a foreign agent of influence, a bit like busting Capone for tax evasion.

In this case it's severely complicated by the fact they know where he is, which is not usual in a case of failing to surrender to bail.

It resembles more the medieval church laws on sanctuary, where a posse stood guard outside to make sure the fugitive didn't leave.

It also shows why other countries shouldn't abuse their diplomatic rights. If it show anything, what it certainly shows is that a new treaty on fugitives in embassies limiting their time in them to say, three months is needed.

And of course the fact we now know he and many of his supporters are as you say effectively Russian agents does muddy the pool somewhat.
    Not sure about limiting sanctuary rights. Wasn’t there that Czech bishop in the US embassy for ages?

Edit: Hungarian

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/József_Mindszenty
  • Options

I think everyone has. Maybe that is May's trick. Like spinning kids around on a roundabout so fast that when they come off they don't know which way they are pointing. She'll just present us with something and say it is what we asked for all along. Most people will be so dizzy they won't remember what the hell they wanted.
    Well if it's a deliberate ploy she's operating on far higher plane than any of us give her credit for; Machiavelli would pale in comparison.
  • Options

Well if it's a deliberate ploy she's operating on far higher plane than any of us give her credit for; Machiavelli would pale in comparison.
    Yep. I don't actually think I was being serious. :)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

Neither Albania nor Turkey!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    Would of course be first female Chancellor, and one of only two Great Offices not yet held by at least one woman.
    I thought Chancellor was the only Great Office not to be held by a woman.

PM - Thatcher and May

Home Secretary - Jacqui Smith, Theresa May, and Amber Rudd.

FCO - Ma Beckett.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

They do go to pubs, burger joints and need cheap plumbers though.
    So do the non-poor and in greater amounts.

The richer you are the more services you tend to consume for the simple reason you have greater means to consume them.
  • Options

Yep. I don't actually think I was being serious. :)
    Nor did I :smile:
  • Options
    Supporting Liverpool is making me ill.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Scott_P said:
    When are people going to realise Brexit is making us an international laughing stock and we have to cancel it?
  • Options

Why? You just won 3-1 what's your problem?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

PM - Thatcher and May

FCO - Ma Beckett.
    Never heard of Chancellor Merkel? :lol:
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

“Are half the NI electorate really Irish *without also being British* citizens? I haven’t checked, but it would surprise me”

Every one born in NI pre 2005 or is the child of such a person is automatically a UK citizen and is also legally able to claim Irish citizenship. As several Aussie MPs have found out to their cost thinking you aren’t British doesn’t mean you aren’t British (if your parents were) unless you formally renounce UK citizenship. No one is denying anyone anything as they are legally both Irish if they wish and also British . The Irish passport makes no reference to a border - it refers to the island of Ireland.

This is a lot of fuss over nowt!
  • Options

Don't worry. Leeds, that fine Yorkshire side, will be promoted.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,542
    edited April 2019

Up to 80 minutes made me want to start smoking again.

For the second goal I was shouting 'Pass it. PASS IT. PASS IT YOU GREEDY TOSSER...OH MO I LOVE YOU'

And don't even get me started on Paul Tierney's parentage when he didn't give Liverpool a stonewall penalty.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

PM - Thatcher and May

FCO - Ma Beckett.
    Is the Lord Chancellor a Great Office, or because it stands ahead of the Prime Minister in the official hierarchy it is the Top Office?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

PM - Thatcher and May

FCO - Ma Beckett.
    Bundeskanzler Merkel.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,542
    edited April 2019

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

PM - Thatcher and May

FCO - Ma Beckett.
    Is the Lord Chancellor a Great Office, or because it stands ahead of the Prime Minister in the official hierarchy it is the Top Office?
    The Lord Chancellor is one of the Great Officers of State, which is different from a Great Office of State.

We've had a female Lord Chancellor, Liz Truss.
  • Options

Up to 80 minutes made me want to start smoking again.

For the second goal I was shouting 'Pass it. PASS IT. PASS IT YOU GREEDY TOSSER...OH MO I LOVE YOU'

And don't even get me started on Paul Tierney's parentage when he didn't give Liverpool a stonewall penalty.
    Never mind - it's only been 29 years.

(30 years after City win this year.)
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    edited April 2019

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

PM - Thatcher and May

FCO - Ma Beckett.
    The Lord Chancellor is one of the Great Officers of State, which is different from a Great Office of State.

We've had a female Lord Chancellor, Liz Truss.
    Ah yes. How could I forget. That is a disgrace!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

PM - Thatcher and May

FCO - Ma Beckett.
    Bundeskanzler Merkel.
    After Klingon Chancellor Gorkon was assassinated in Star Trek VI, his daughter Azetbur became Chancellor.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,232

So brexit talks have broken down...have i made a boo boo not stockpiling bog roll?

The technical term is poo poo.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,279
    My now nightly update on Buttigieg :lol:

"...which set of qualities is most likely to contrast with Trump in a way that makes the Democratic contender seem fresh, and the president appear old, clueless, and malevolent? I suspect it is this question that is behind the budding candidacy of one Pete Buttigieg."

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/is-pete-buttigieg-a-transformational-candidate.html
  • Options
    "When you think of him in a debate with Trump, one-on-one, everything gets scrambled. I don’t know what that dynamic would be like exactly, but it feels a lot less predictable than, say, Elizabeth Warren or Beto O’Rourke."

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/is-pete-buttigieg-a-transformational-candidate.html
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

PM - Thatcher and May

FCO - Ma Beckett.
    Bundeskanzler Merkel.
    Bundeskalzlerin Merkel
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901

Is getting so close and still not favourites because of how damn good Man City are that is the worst thing about it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2019

Totally O/T....if you want a good documentary, "a honest liar" is worth a watch.

What channel is it on?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

isam said:

There's a long standing 24 hour hand car wash on Maryhill Road in Glasgow that always had massive queues waiting to be be serviced, been there decades.

I has always assumed it was a front for drugs. However a fried who lived nearby assured me it was the best car wash and valet in Glasgow bar none.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is getting so close and still not favourites because of how damn good Man City are that is the worst thing about it.
    I know.

Just imagine losing only once this season and ending up with 97 points and still not winning the title.

We're going to be Manchester United fans on the 24th of this month.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Alistair said:

There's a long standing 24 hour hand car wash on Maryhill Road in Glasgow that always had massive queues waiting to be be serviced, been there decades.

I've heard of "car washes" where it isn't the car getting serviced, if you get my meaning.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Alistair said:

isam said:

I has always assumed it was a front for drugs. However a fried who lived nearby assured me it was the best car wash and valet in Glasgow bar none.
    You can never beat a handjob! Those automated machines wreck the paintwork if your unlucky.
  • Options

There were hardly any hand car washes until the year 2000 or thereabouts. You had to go to an automatic one before then.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

isam said:

24 hour? Who the hell gets their car washed at 4am?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    AndyJS said:

What channel is it on?
    T'interweb. Is on Amazon Prime.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

"When you think of him in a debate with Trump, one-on-one, everything gets scrambled. I don’t know what that dynamic would be like exactly, but it feels a lot less predictable than, say, Elizabeth Warren or Beto O’Rourke."

By which they mean "a lot more predictable".
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Alistair said:

isam said:

There used to be a bikini car wash advertised in the East End of Glasgow. Never partook of it myself so not sure of the 'front' element.

Edit: just remembered the name, Soapy Bubbles!
  • Options

Alistair said:

isam said:

Cabbies I'd guess.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Alistair said:

isam said:

I has always assumed it was a front for drugs. However a friend who lived nearby assured me it was the best car wash and valet in Glasgow bar none.
    Those two things are not necessarily mutually exclusive, it could be a front but also still a great car wash.
  • Options

Alistair said:

isam said:

Cabbies I'd guess.
    Nah...in my experience they are all in the casino by that time.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,113

Alistair said:

isam said:

There used to be a bikini car wash advertised in the East End of Glasgow. Never partook of it myself so not sure of the 'front' element.

Did it go bust?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Just checked the nominations for my local council, and both Labour and the Conservatives are guaranteed to elect councillors in at least one ward regardless of what happens on election day. Local democracy is in a pretty parlous state in many areas, when so many seats are not being fully contested. Lots of other councils are in a similar situation.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Scott_P said:
    She'd be an excellent Chancellor. And that's quite a good betting tip (I'm on for a few quid at 10.3).
  • Options

Alistair said:

isam said:

Did it go bust?
    I've not kept abreast of its current status.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Betfair, Tory leadership candidates ranked by odds:

1. Boris Johnson.
    2. Michael Gove.
    3. Dominic Raab.
    4. Jeremy Hunt.
    5. Matthew Hancock.
    6. Sajid Javid.
    7. Andrea Leadsom.
    8. Johnny Mercer.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.125574963
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,854
    Scott_P said:

When was the last time a CotE lost their seat at a general election? :D
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Alistair said:

There used to be a fishing store in my patch which was generally believed to be a front for something dodgy as they never seemed to attract any customers for fishing rods. That particular area was rather relaxed about these things - two prominent members of Neighbourhood Watch were widely said to be burglars. They were seen as experts giving advice on prevention, and were careful to do their burgling in Ilkeston, some miles away.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

There were hardly any hand car washes until the year 2000 or thereabouts. You had to go to an automatic one before then.
    They were crap though. leaving dirty patches while similtaneously wrecking the finish.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

Yes - they said agreement in principle would only take 2-3 days, and it would be a sensible reason to have an extension. The only problem is that if we suddenly come round to it now, that short extension will trigger the European Parliament election.

Mind you, that'd be a bit silly but hardly the end of the world - I'm not clear why everyone is so worked up about it. When UKIP won previously, eyebrows were raised for a day or so and then the agenda moved on.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The car wash on Princess Parkway in Manchester has been there for many years, and used to have signs advertising 'The Best Hand Job In The North - £5'.

I imagine inflation has put paid to their low low prices.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Brexit. Another day gone and the light at the tunnel seems farther away than ever.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

I know, I didn’t say it was anything to do with Brexit
  • Options

AndyJS said:

The car wash on Princess Parkway in Manchester has been there for many years, and used to have signs advertising 'The Best Hand Job In The North - £5'.

I don't know whether many years means before or since the year 2000. The millennium still seems like about 5 minutes ago to me and I don't know where all the time has gone since then.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I don't know whether many years means before or since the year 2000. The millennium still seems like about 5 minutes ago to me and I don't know where all the time has gone since then.
    Honestly, I can't even remember. I recall it being there when I was a postgraduate student in the early '00s, terrifying to think that was nearly 20 years ago.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Jonathan said:

Brexit. Another day gone and the light at the tunnel seems farther away than ever.

Depends how you look at it. The PM has to be seen exhausting all the potential avenues before either she kicks the can down the road with further extension or brings the matter to an end with Revocation of Article 50. No Deal is just used as a bogey man in that it is an unusable option. I could be wrong! Nothing is clear-cut in this situation but the PM and her party is bust whichever way you end it. Revoke is more survivable than No Deal, although some of the head bangers might peel off, I cannot see some Tory backbenchers or ministers leaving the party. So Revoke is more plausible than No Deal.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,043
    isam said:

I thought the latest statistics had the vast majority of the drug trade going online?

Why get ripped off buying from someone on a street corner when you can get stuff mailed to you, and every vendor is rated?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

I thought the latest statistics had the vast majority of the drug trade going online?

Why get ripped off buying from someone on a street corner when you can get stuff mailed to you, and every vendor is rated?
    I really wouldn’t know, but The Guardian are gushing with praise for the Albanian’s business nous

• Options

Jonathan said:

Depends how you look at it. The PM has to be seen exhausting all the potential avenues before either she kicks the can down the road with further extension or brings the matter to an end with Revocation of Article 50. No Deal is just used as a bogey man in that it is an unusable option. I could be wrong! Nothing is clear-cut in this situation but the PM and her party is bust whichever way you end it. Revoke is more survivable than No Deal, although some of the head bangers might peel off, I cannot see some Tory backbenchers or ministers leaving the party. So Revoke is more plausible than No Deal.
    The problem you have is that you come from the remain side and so see Revoke as plausible and less damaging. For many on the Leave side, myself included, No Deal, whilst not the preferred result, is far less damaging to our democracy than Revoke. It is a gamble either way as we neither of us objectively know which is the less damaging route.

Frankly for the vast majority of people in the country, the Tories going bust is neither here nor there.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It's almost impressive that even now it's mostly partisan games being played. Remarkable stuff.
This discussion has been closed.