Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » No Deal remains imminent and likely

12346»

Comments

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/30/grieve-accuses-ex-ukip-opponent-of-insurgency-after-confidence-vote-loss

"Grieve, who has been MP for the constituency since 1997, told Sky News: “At the meeting there were a very large number of people who had turned up … around a hundred of whom I had certainly never seen or met before in my years as a member of parliament.

“And there is clear evidence that there was an orchestrated campaign by my Ukip opponent in 2017, who has since joined the association, with the express intention of trying to come along and defeating the motion.

And they were successful in doing that. It was a slightly rowdy meeting, although the chair was able to keep it under reasonable control."
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/30/grieve-accuses-ex-ukip-opponent-of-insurgency-after-confidence-vote-loss

"Grieve, who has been MP for the constituency since 1997, told Sky News: “At the meeting there were a very large number of people who had turned up … around a hundred of whom I had certainly never seen or met before in my years as a member of parliament.

“And there is clear evidence that there was an orchestrated campaign by my Ukip opponent in 2017, who has since joined the association, with the express intention of trying to come along and defeating the motion."

Quite..

"“Nobody has a divine right to be leader of a country or a constituency without challenge for 20-odd years. And our whole point last night was to say that we don’t have confidence in his view and we would like to be able to consider somebody else.”"
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    GIN1138 said:

One thing if we do get a general election to try to resolve the crisis I think it'll be an absolutely massive turnout....

When was the last time we had an election in the midst of a genuine crisis? Probably 1931? (1979 maybe?)

That's not to say it'll give a clear result though... We may just see everyone turn out to say they don't know what the **** to do either! :D

February 1974.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    justin124 said:

GIN1138 said:

One thing if we do get a general election to try to resolve the crisis I think it'll be an absolutely massive turnout....

When was the last time we had an election in the midst of a genuine crisis? Probably 1931? (1979 maybe?)

That's not to say it'll give a clear result though... We may just see everyone turn out to say they don't know what the **** to do either! :D

February 1974.
    Hung parliament. Probably the nearest we've come to PR in my lifetime. Thorpe requested it as the price of forming a coalition but Heath refused it.

Thorpe was a highly charismatic leader and they haven't had the like of that since, although if they'd welcome Sandy Toksvig back into the fold she could be a possibility for improving the L.Dems' lot. She gave one of the very best speeches last Saturday; Heseltine's came top, in my estimation.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

GIN1138 said:

February 1974.
    Hung parliament. Probably the nearest we've come to PR in my lifetime. Thorpe requested it as the price of forming a coalition but Heath refused it.

Thorpe was a highly charismatic leader and they haven't had the like of that since, although if they'd welcome Sandy Toksvig back into the fold she could be a possibility for improving the L.Dems' lot. She gave one of the very best speeches last Saturday; Heseltine's came top, in my estimation.
    I found David Steel, Paddy Ashdown and Charles Kennedy every bit as charismatic as Thorpe.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    edited March 2019
    This thread is now so

old

it must be in a parallel universe. Just saying.
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185
    D.H. says "May’s Deal .. which is just as much – probably much more, in fact – the EU’s deal). Give a thought to the Deal which would probably have been struck if Labour had won in 2017, and then stuck to its manifesto which [despite what Tories repeatedly tell us] was not 'very similar' to the Tories'. If Labour had been in a position to do what it said it would, including [as it said] giving a meaningful role to Parliament throughout the negotiations, then there'd have been a deal which was BOTH the UK's AND the EU's, and which the ERG (and fellow Brextremists could not have brought down. Brextremists and TMay alike are always anxious to tell us what 'Leave the EU' means. Labour took it to mean 'cease to be a member of the EU', and had a policy about what that would amount to.
    All of this is counterfactual, of course. But it may cast light on why we should have reached the mess, uncertainty, potential catastrophe that we have.
This discussion has been closed.