Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour should win Newport West

Comments

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

DavidL said:

This seems to me an obvious downside of the Tiggers not making themselves a party yet. No party, no candidates, no members that aren't already in the House of Commons. For a new party starting out by elections are mana from heaven and they are a lot less frequent than they used to be. They can't afford to keep missing out. If they think their grouping has a future as a party they need to get on with it.

It's a two-edged sword - if they took part and got 4% people would say meh, obviously another minor outfit. But they haven't even started on the job of deciding what they stand for (or if they have any chance of agreeing on it), beyond some generalist waffle. And at present it's very much top-down - they have some MPs and some money and a lot of tweets...
    They might do more for their long term prospects by getting 5%, but being the difference between a Labour hold and a Tory gain, than they would be standing in a hypothetical safe seat (either party), getting 20% and finishing second, but making no difference to the actual result.

Right now, their best bet might just be putting the fear of God into the two main parties about what happens if they continue along their current trajectories.

In any case my guess is there'll be an unofficial bandwagon jumper. An independent Independent, if you will.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Ah, the B-word. Betrayal. Expect to hear it endlessly over the coming months. Whatever form of Brexit we end up with, Brexiteers will say it betrays the Brexit dream, Remainers that it betrays the British people, young people that it betrays their hopes of a bright future.

In the years to come we also face another mighty wave of betrayed anger: the rage of Leave voters who thought Brexit would cut immigration. Some who campaigned for Leave would rather that the referendum was all about sovereignty (which they consider a high-flown and principled reason) rather than immigration (which they think base and a little racist). Consider Boris Johnson’s recent rather weaselly remarks that he “didn’t say anything about Turkey during the referendum”, despite his multiple mentions of possible Turkish accession to the EU, the letter he wrote to David Cameron in June 2016 saying that “the only way to avoid having common borders with Turkey is to vote leave”, the poster run by his campaign stating that “Turkey (76 million people) is joining the EU”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/leavers-immigration-hopes-will-be-betrayed-ps29sjrc6

I'm no fan of BoJo, but that letter doesn't prove he said anything about Turkey during the referendum. I can quite easily believe that he took no part in writing that letter, nor bothered to read it before putting his name on it.

My favourite part of the letter was its claim that EU policy was "that Turkish acceleration should be ‘accelerated’".

Turkey is jerky.
    In summary - Cameron/EU fibs over Turkey are fine, Bojo fibs are AWFUL WACISM.

Why do you deliberately misspell racist as waycist?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    I've come late this, due to a gym trip followed by, but not as a consequence of, a trip to the local surgery to see the nurse.

Having had a look back, who or what are Renew? I have Googled them and they seem sort of faintly left, mildly centrist group in favour of motherhood and apple pie, but not really crusading about anything.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,334
    edited March 2019
    eek said:

I will add this

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1102487305120612352

It's almost as if May wants Labour MPs to force through a Remain vs Deal referendum.

This fund also needs to be expanded 10 fold...
    The announcement is just pathetic and I have no idea why TM or No 10 thought this was a good idea or even how it looks

Just crackers. I am more than non plussed and really do question who advises this stuff to TM and why she adopts it
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360

stodge said:

eek said:

To be honest her choice is hold the Tory Party OR the Union together - she can only do one of those and chances are neither.

Perhaps but you only have to read the comments of HYUFD or the other Conservative members to know how important "our precious union" is to them - it's part of their name, it's at the core of their identity.

The whole Ulster issue and all that has flowed from that is part of that problem - a different pro-Brexit Government might have sold Ulster down the river (with all that would flow) for the possibility of a clean break from the SM and the CU. May could not do that because she is a Unionist (possibly more than a Conservative).

So many of her public utterances have been about unity and bringing the nation together whereas a more ideologically minded Brexit Government wouldn't have worried about that.

Ultimately, the definition of a "good deal" is one that holds the Union and the Conservative Party together.

Your last sentence is the most important aspect of this to this member
    Don't be ridiculous Big G - that would mean staying in the EU.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,173

Scott_P said:

Ah, the B-word. Betrayal. Expect to hear it endlessly over the coming months. Whatever form of Brexit we end up with, Brexiteers will say it betrays the Brexit dream, Remainers that it betrays the British people, young people that it betrays their hopes of a bright future.

In the years to come we also face another mighty wave of betrayed anger: the rage of Leave voters who thought Brexit would cut immigration. Some who campaigned for Leave would rather that the referendum was all about sovereignty (which they consider a high-flown and principled reason) rather than immigration (which they think base and a little racist). Consider Boris Johnson’s recent rather weaselly remarks that he “didn’t say anything about Turkey during the referendum”, despite his multiple mentions of possible Turkish accession to the EU, the letter he wrote to David Cameron in June 2016 saying that “the only way to avoid having common borders with Turkey is to vote leave”, the poster run by his campaign stating that “Turkey (76 million people) is joining the EU”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/leavers-immigration-hopes-will-be-betrayed-ps29sjrc6

I'm no fan of BoJo, but that letter doesn't prove he said anything about Turkey during the referendum. I can quite easily believe that he took no part in writing that letter, nor bothered to read it before putting his name on it.

My favourite part of the letter was its claim that EU policy was "that Turkish acceleration should be ‘accelerated’".

Turkey is jerky.
    Very derivative but not quite snappy enough. :)
  • Options

Endillion said:

Boris Johnson might well not make the last three, never mind the last two. I'm not at all convinced that he will get as far as submitting himself to the verdict of his fellow MPs. He didn't last time.

That remains the great unknown factor. What has changed since 2016 that made him not a candidate then, but a candidate now? Surely not just his marriage?
    Gove has pinky-sworn to support him properly this time.
    I would suggest that all the reasons Gove had for not supporting him last time have been reinforced in spades by Boris' tenure at the Foreign Office. Supporting him the next time round would be utterly ridiculous after all the additional damning evidence.
    Yeah, I totally agree with that; the additional nuance I was aiming for was suggesting that it might be almost as ridiculous for Boris to trust him again.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

stodge said:

eek said:

To be honest her choice is hold the Tory Party OR the Union together - she can only do one of those and chances are neither.

Perhaps but you only have to read the comments of HYUFD or the other Conservative members to know how important "our precious union" is to them - it's part of their name, it's at the core of their identity.

The whole Ulster issue and all that has flowed from that is part of that problem - a different pro-Brexit Government might have sold Ulster down the river (with all that would flow) for the possibility of a clean break from the SM and the CU. May could not do that because she is a Unionist (possibly more than a Conservative).

So many of her public utterances have been about unity and bringing the nation together whereas a more ideologically minded Brexit Government wouldn't have worried about that.

Ultimately, the definition of a "good deal" is one that holds the Union and the Conservative Party together.

If so so be it
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited March 2019

I've come late this, due to a gym trip followed by, but not as a consequence of, a trip to the local surgery to see the nurse.

Having had a look back, who or what are Renew? I have Googled them and they seem sort of faintly left, mildly centrist group in favour of motherhood and apple pie, but not really crusading about anything.

They are a largely single issue anti-Brexit party, arguing for straight up revocation of A50. Though it would be fair to point out that they are currently working on a wider policy manifesto. They have had very limited success in London, where a Tory councillor defected to them a year or two ago (but failed to defend his seat in the locals).

Though undeniably a non-entity in terms of national or even local politics, they stand out from the other non-entity parties in being impressively organised in a few areas with regular canvassing etc and fairly well funded.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

eek said:

If so so be it
    Big G hath spoken.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Quincel said:

They are a largely single issue anti-Brexit party, arguing for straight up revocation of A50. Though it would be fair to point out that they are currently working on a wider policy manifesto. They have had very limited success in London, where a Tory councillor defected to them a year or two ago (but failed to defend his seat in the locals).

Though undeniably a non-entity in terms of national or even local politics, they stand out from the other non-entity parties in being impressively organised in a few areas with regular canvassing etc and fairly well funded.
    Thanks for that Mr Q, but 'impressively organised' in where outside the M25?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

DavidL said:

This seems to me an obvious downside of the Tiggers not making themselves a party yet. No party, no candidates, no members that aren't already in the House of Commons. For a new party starting out by elections are mana from heaven and they are a lot less frequent than they used to be. They can't afford to keep missing out. If they think their grouping has a future as a party they need to get on with it.

It's a two-edged sword - if they took part and got 4% people would say meh, obviously another minor outfit. But they haven't even started on the job of deciding what they stand for (or if they have any chance of agreeing on it), beyond some generalist waffle. And at present it's very much top-down - they have some MPs and some money and a lot of tweets...
    They also all felt forced out of their current parties by the threat of deselection by extremists. This suggests an obvious way to attempt to make an impact in a by-election: hold an open primary to select an Independent Group candidate. I doubt there is time remaining for them to organise one, but it would have the potential to attract someone from the locality who could inspire support. Otherwise who else would their candidate be? Some policy wonk, or obscure councillor from more than a hundred miles away.
  • Options

eek said:

I will add this

It's almost as if May wants Labour MPs to force through a Remain vs Deal referendum.

The announcement is just pathetic and I have no idea why TM or No 10 thought this was a good idea or even how it looks

Just crackers. I am more than non plussed and really do question who advises this stuff to TM and why she adopts it
    Gordon Brown, if I recall correctly (it is quite likely that I do not), was very good at announcing large spending plans that, on closer inspection, turned out to consist mostly of pre-announced commitments plus a cherry on top that was new. The announcements thus tended
    to unravel quite quickly, but he pocketed the original headlines.

It seems ridiculous to criticise Theresa May for not following suit, but surely this is one case where it would have made a lot of sense? We are essentially committed to providing a stop gap for UK stakeholders about to lose EU funding (farmers, researchers, etc) - surely it would have made a tonne of sense to make one big announcement about committing to replace all EU regional funding, and add to it, and then announce all together as one package?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216

Possibly.

eek said:

I will add this

If £13 billion could not make those regions love the EU why on earth May would think a derisory sum will make them love her deal?

She is just rubbish at politics.

Even if she gets her deal through - and I don’t see how - it will have no genuine consent behind it and will not last.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

eek said:

If so so be it
    Big G hath spoken.
    I am annoyed with TM this morning and really am not fussed whether it is brexit or remain, just so long as it is not no deal
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    _Anazina_ said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Turkey is jerky.

Maybe it had a similar derivation to Waaaaaambulance? Just an internet thing.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Quincel said:

Thanks for that Mr Q, but 'impressively organised' in where outside the M25?
    Basically just London, afaik.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

eek said:

I will add this

Gordon Brown, if I recall correctly (it is quite likely that I do not), was very good at announcing large spending plans that, on closer inspection, turned out to consist mostly of pre-announced commitments plus a cherry on top that was new. The announcements thus tended

It seems ridiculous to criticise Theresa May for not following suit, but surely this is one case where it would have made a lot of sense? We are essentially committed to providing a stop gap for UK stakeholders about to lose EU funding (farmers, researchers, etc) - surely it would have made a tonne of sense to make one big announcement about committing to replace all EU regional funding, and add to it, and then announce all together as one package?
    It is too little too late for brexit and looks like a bribe which troubles me greatly
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

eek said:

If so so be it
    Big G hath spoken.
    I am annoyed with TM this morning and really am not fussed whether it is brexit or remain, just so long as it is not no deal
    Everything May has been doing is making a No Deal exit more likely, whether accidentally or by design. No Deal has been the likeliest outcome ever since she came home with a Deal which was instantly rubbished - and has continued to be rubbished ever since - by all sides. (BTW I pressed the Off Topic button by mistake. My apologies.)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308

Endillion said:

eek said:

I will add this

It is too little too late for brexit and looks like a bribe which troubles me greatly
    And a bribe committed in advance, whether they vote for the deal or not.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

_Anazina_ said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Turkey is jerky.

Maybe it had a similar derivation to Waaaaaambulance? Just an internet thing.
    Not sure about that.

It might imply that the poster considers concerns about racism to be infantile. But, who I am to say?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273

eek said:

I will add this

The tin ear is looking pretty solid to be honest. This has been a massive own goal f up by looks of things.

And as I was banging on last month, potentially exposes how much work the EU was actually doing to help post-industrial areas (all of which was ignored during the referendum).

There is no way a Westminister/SE focused government will match what is about to be lost imho.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Endillion said:

eek said:

I will add this

Indeed
  • Options
    I see it is another fine spring morning in the cesspit formerly known as the Labour Party:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1102518497324736512
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leave advocates still haven't accepted the terms of the bargain that they struck at the time of the referendum. They get to leave the EU, but at the price of prioritising shutting out foreigners.

At least Faust knew when he sold his soul.

Trouble is, they were so dumb that they couldn't even work out that of course immigration wouldn't fall.

Because this government for better or worse doesn't want to reduce immigration. Which, although an old battle (albeit @HYUFD still seems to be fighting it), shows explicitly that the EU was never the problem for UK immigration, it was always and continues to be a UK domestic issue.
    Leave advocates weren't proposing an end to immigration just that we can control it.
    Yeah I'm sure they are all over the moon that it hasn't fallen.

Plus it shows what has been obvious to most sensible people (ie no leavers) - it has always been under the government's control; they have just refused to do anything about it.
    How is it under our control to restrict numbers of unskilled Europeans?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Endillion said:

eek said:

I will add this

It's sort of my point. It just didn't need to look like a bribe - it could've easily been presented as a Brexit dividend that would evaporate if No Deal. It's ended up looking like a bribe, and a bad one. Which I guess was the original point before I got involved.
  • Options
    The remarkable thing about May's latest masterstroke is that the shame and embarrassment make it now less likely Labour Leavers will vote for the deal.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Mr. NorthWales, there are echoes of Brown's tiny pensions rise (35p?), where the minuscule amount makes it seem worse than no rise at all.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leave advocates still haven't accepted the terms of the bargain that they struck at the time of the referendum. They get to leave the EU, but at the price of prioritising shutting out foreigners.

At least Faust knew when he sold his soul.

Trouble is, they were so dumb that they couldn't even work out that of course immigration wouldn't fall.

Because this government for better or worse doesn't want to reduce immigration. Which, although an old battle (albeit @HYUFD still seems to be fighting it), shows explicitly that the EU was never the problem for UK immigration, it was always and continues to be a UK domestic issue.
    Leave advocates weren't proposing an end to immigration just that we can control it.
    Yeah I'm sure they are all over the moon that it hasn't fallen.

Plus it shows what has been obvious to most sensible people (ie no leavers) - it has always been under the government's control; they have just refused to do anything about it.
    How is it under our control to restrict numbers of unskilled Europeans?
    We had certain requirements which we chose not to impose (that said, they are reasonably strict as is). But we are talking about overall immigration levels and, like whack a mole, if immigration from one area dips then immigration from another area will increase to fill the gap.
  • Options

Mr. NorthWales, there are echoes of Brown's tiny pensions rise (35p?), where the minuscule amount makes it seem worse than no rise at all.

Exactly. Insane
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
    Will Tessy even be able to correctly identify the towns that are getting their piddly bribes?

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1102509516351029248
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    One of my earliest by election memories is of Kingston upon Hull North held in late January 1966. Labour had narrowly gained the seat by just over 1000 votes in 1964 and the Government's majority was just three following the loss of Leyton at the January 1965 by election. It was a critical contest which the Tories had real hopes of winning ,but Labour managed a 4.7% swing in its favour with the majority increasing to over 5000. It set the scene for Wilson to call the March election that Spring which saw his majority boosted to 97.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,091
    IanB2 said:

The remarkable thing about May's latest masterstroke is that the shame and embarrassment make it now less likely Labour Leavers will vote for the deal.

If May's goal is to avoid splitting the Tory party, then she actively doesn't want their votes. The effect of May's intransigence is ultimately too force everyone into revealing their true bottom line, which for a majority will be 'no Brexit'.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, to be fair, it's probably some staffer who made an error, but it's a bit of a silly mistake to make.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    The irresistible force of the EU meets the immovable object that is the ERG. One of them is going to be crushed. And it won't be the EU.
  • Options
    Mr. Nick, that does rather miss out the UK, or every other political party and faction in this country.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

DavidL said:

The national polling suggests that if they took it seriously, they'd get a lot more than 4%. But if they were taking it properly, they'd have already registered a Party name and would be actively trying to recruit defectors from all three main parties, or from Con and Lab and then seeking an alliance with the LDs (which IMO would be a bad strategy but an understandable one).

For any election, you don't need a detailed manifesto, you need at most three main messages. TIGs would be something like:
    - Stop Brexit;
    - The Tories and Labour are both useless (and Labour is a bit racist too): Protest;
    - It's time for a change.

I reckon that with a half-decent candidate and campaign, they should be able to pick up 15% at least given the former LD vote there and current circumstances; possibly much more. But even if it was just 15%, that would probably put them in a clear third and contrast them starkly with the Lib Dems. It might also affect the winner (though my guess is that it wouldn't), which would put the cat among them more generally, which is surely a TIG aim?
    The biggest risk to TIG is that there is an early general election and that without any party organisation, they get swept away.
    I agree. Other than that they have Brexit battles to fight in parliament which is presumably taking the whole of their attention, I really don't understand what TIG's political strategy is.

Even if the Eleven have no plans for the future, it's hardly going to be conducive to other MPs thinking of defecting if all the Group can offer is a dead-end.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

One of my earliest by election memories is of Kingston upon Hull North held in late January 1966. Labour had narrowly gained the seat by just over 1000 votes in 1964 and the Government's majority was just three following the loss of Leyton at the January 1965 by election. It was a critical contest which the Tories had real hopes of winning ,but Labour managed a 4.7% swing in its favour with the majority increasing to over 5000. It set the scene for Wilson to call the March election that Spring which saw his majority boosted to 97.

Wasn't that the one where Wilson promised the building of the Humber Bridge. By-election bribe's ain't what they used to be.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Mr. Divvie, to be fair, it's probably some staffer who made an error, but it's a bit of a silly mistake to make.

The Telegraph used the same photo as a photo of Salisbury in January. It's from the Alamy stock photo service, so at least the government paid someone to use it (and they relied on Alamy correctly categorising their photos).
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

DavidL said:

The national polling suggests that if they took it seriously, they'd get a lot more than 4%. But if they were taking it properly, they'd have already registered a Party name and would be actively trying to recruit defectors from all three main parties, or from Con and Lab and then seeking an alliance with the LDs (which IMO would be a bad strategy but an understandable one).

For any election, you don't need a detailed manifesto, you need at most three main messages. TIGs would be something like:
    - Stop Brexit;
    - The Tories and Labour are both useless (and Labour is a bit racist too): Protest;
    - It's time for a change.

I reckon that with a half-decent candidate and campaign, they should be able to pick up 15% at least given the former LD vote there and current circumstances; possibly much more. But even if it was just 15%, that would probably put them in a clear third and contrast them starkly with the Lib Dems. It might also affect the winner (though my guess is that it wouldn't), which would put the cat among them more generally, which is surely a TIG aim?
    The biggest risk to TIG is that there is an early general election and that without any party organisation, they get swept away.
    I agree. Other than that they have Brexit battles to fight in parliament which is presumably taking the whole of their attention, I really don't understand what TIG's political strategy is.

Even if the Eleven have no plans for the future, it's hardly going to be conducive to other MPs thinking of defecting if all the Group can offer is a dead-end.
    It does all seem a flash in the pan, local elections are not going to help TIG, I have asked it previously but I dont think MEPs, MSPs or AMs have jumped ship to them which does make the TIG seem a dead end
  • Options

justin124 said:

Wasn't that the one where Wilson promised the building of the Humber Bridge. By-election bribe's ain't what they used to be.
    That is correct.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    The Prodigy's Keith Flint has died.

RIP.
  • Options

justin124 said:

It was. And I guess the cost of the Humber Bridge in today's money is probably more than the £1.6bn May is offering to a whole list of areas over the next 7 years!
  • Options

The irresistible force of the EU meets the immovable object that is the ERG. One of them is going to be crushed. And it won't be the EU.
    Then the betrayal storyline will grow and either an existing party will adopt full leave as its position or a new radical party will arise to do so. And God help us all if its the latter
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311
    edited March 2019
    Zapped.
  • Options

RIP.

It's been a bad time for rockers - Talk Talk, The Cure and now The Prodigy (and I'm sure I've missed some).
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311
    Theresa needs to be very careful here. She's in danger of making the EU look more generous and benign than she is, amongst the very constituency - namely the gritty northern masses - who bring a romantic tear to every Leaver's eye.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Theresa needs to be very careful here. She's in danger of making the EU look more generous and benign than she is, amongst the very constituency - namely the gritty northern masses - who bring a romantic tear to every Leaver's eye.

Sounds like something a closet Remainer might do...
  • Options

DavidL said:

Fsnip

It does all seem a flash in the pan, local elections are not going to help TIG, I have asked it previously but I dont think MEPs, MSPs or AMs have jumped ship to them which does make the TIG seem a dead end
    According to sunday papers, TIG are in the process of setting up a party and are in discussions with electoral commission over the process, donations, name, structure etc.

1000s of small donations have come in.

People forget the SDP wasn't a party on day one.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The Telegraph used the same photo as a photo of Salisbury in January. It's from the Alamy stock photo service, so at least the government paid someone to use it (and they relied on Alamy correctly categorising their photos).
    Perhaps they should recruit an Oxford geography graduate, if Theresa May will soon be available for new employment. To be serious, it is depressing that so much of our national life is in the hands of people to whom details don't matter.
  • Options
    45 years ago today Ted Heath left No 10 for the last time as PM and Harold Wilson began his second stint there! It really seems incredible that it is such a long time ago - it feels but a few years back.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,091
    edited March 2019
    TOPPING said:

RIP.

It's been a bad time for rockers - Talk Talk, The Cure and now The Prodigy (and I'm sure I've missed some).
    Robert Smith's death was a hoax. You had me worried for a moment.

Edit: Unless you don't mean him.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Sounds like something a closet Remainer might do...
    haha yes we've been played. Don't like the EU's shilling? Here's a ha'penny.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

45 years ago today Ted Heath left No 10 for the last time as PM and Harold Wilson began his second stint there! It really seems incredible that it is such a long time ago - it feels but a few years back.

Ah. Harold Wilson. That Blairite with his pathetic social democracy.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708
  • Options
    the chancellor, Philip Hammond has merely brought forward some of the extra revenue said to be coming his way in his spring statement. There is no change in the traditional Whitehall paternalism. The cities money is a case of the lord of the manor handing out goodies to the indigent, if they win Whitehall’s version of It’s a Knockout.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/04/brexit-money-northern-england-labour-mps-may
  • Options

DavidL said:

Fsnip

According to sunday papers, TIG are in the process of setting up a party and are in discussions with electoral commission over the process, donations, name, structure etc.

1000s of small donations have come in.

People forget the SDP wasn't a party on day one.
    No but it was much more prepared than TIG, it had appointed organisers, set up an office and already had lists of supporters outside Westminster ready to join up as members immediately after the launch. It was ready to go with the first by-election after the launch, which was Warrington. TIG has none of those things and none of its MPs come close to the heavyweights that launched the SDP - Jenkins & Williams in particular.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005
    Scott_P said:
    Any asked them what will occur in that 21 month period
  • Options

RIP.

Cremation, presumably?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

justin124 said:

Harold Wilson was paranoid, and not altogether wrong, about being undermined by the Establishment, MI5 and Israel South Africa.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    eek said:

Scott_P said:
    2 more years of this shit-show...great
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Hold on wasn't Rentoul convinced May's deal would get through ?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030

stodge said:

eek said:

G, you are happy to see the country ruined just to save the Tory party?
  • Options
    Chickens are the more able to weigh up the implications of their decisions.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005
    edited March 2019

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    2 years - until we put it to bed with a referendum where we agree to remain it's going to last the next 15 years....

The one thing about May's money today is that shows how much more generous the EU was than our own government to areas in need.

https://twitter.com/centrefortowns/status/1102508498779365376

https://twitter.com/centrefortowns/status/1102509185550422016

• Options

eek said:

I will add this

You imagine there is some great strategy behind this kind of thing as it is hard to believe anyone could be so stupid, but they continually prove that they are just that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think he is just making the point that IF it is postponed THEN etc etc

This probably why he thinks in the end DUP will fold.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Wilson and Blair are the only Labour leaders to win an election in the last 65 years. In that time, seven Tories have won general elections, and six other Labour leaders have tried and failed (excluding Smith, who died before he contested an election).

For me, Wilson and Heath as contenders for government is ancient history - which is to say, I have no personal recollection of it. Presumably, other, younger people feel the same about the likes of John Major and Neil Kinnock.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Chickens are the more able to weigh up the implications of their decisions.
    Only the non-chlorinated ones though.
  • Options

eek said:

I will add this

The tin ear is looking pretty solid to be honest. This has been a massive own goal f up by looks of things.

And as I was banging on last month, potentially exposes how much work the EU was actually doing to help post-industrial areas (all of which was ignored during the referendum).

There is no way a Westminister/SE focused government will match what is about to be lost imho.
    Which is why Cornwall Council is getting its knickers in an almighty twist about the likely consequences of Leaving to grants down there.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

stodge said:

eek said:

My conservative party is a one nation party, not the ERG wreckers
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

I will add this

You imagine there is some great strategy behind this kind of thing as it is hard to believe anyone could be so stupid, but they continually prove that they are just that.
    How can anyone with an ounce of political thought not see how this looks. Speechless
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Wishful thinking methinks. Highly unlikely, but I would happily live with such an outcome and so would approximately 50% of the population, plus or minus 2%
  • Options
    He's barking as well
  • Options

Perhaps they should recruit an Oxford geography graduate, if Theresa May will soon be available for new employment. To be serious, it is depressing that so much of our national life is in the hands of people to whom details don't matter.
    Pretty soon, if not already, much of your life will be in the hands of algorithms, coded by people to whom details don't matter, but trusted with blind faith by the powers that be.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He is a real tool
  • Options

malcolmg said:

stodge said:

eek said:

My conservative party is a one nation party, not the ERG wreckers
    G, unfortunately it has gone to the dogs and is rotting from the head down.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The DUP will not fold. Saying no is in their DNA. They have told their base that they will not give an inch and they will keep faith with that.

I suspect that the more sensible ones amongst them (one has to assume some of them are more sensible) have come to realise that Brexit will boost the chances of a unity referendum and would secretly like to dump the whole idea, and the best way of doing that is to carry on saying no until parliament votes to extend.

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

eek said:

I will add this

Which is why Cornwall Council is getting its knickers in an almighty twist about the likely consequences of Leaving to grants down there.
    The only news with respect to the EU was always bad news as far as a lot of our media was concerned. Vulnerable people have been systematically conned. It will be the poor that suffer.

A business leader I spoke to the other day reiterated what many of us know; i.e. that a large number of businesses want an orderly Brexit so that they can then have the time to relocate their businesses outside the UK as the dust settles.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    eek said:

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    2 years - until we put it to bed with a referendum where we agree to remain it's going to last the next 15 years....

The one thing about May's money today is that shows how much more generous the EU was than our own government to areas in need.

https://twitter.com/centrefortowns/status/1102508498779365376

https://twitter.com/centrefortowns/status/1102509185550422016

We are the largest contributor to the European Investment Bank, and a net contributor. "The EU" is simply being slightly more generous with our own money. The question you should ask yourself is why government is wedded to this model.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Giraffe and Ed's Easy Diner chains to close 27 sites

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47440292

Another over-priced high street restaurant chain in the doo doo.
  • Options
    Racheal Swindon's account on twitter suspended.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

What has he / she done?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935

Never even heard of either of these. Was Ed Miliband involved ?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010

Pulpstar said:

The DUP will not fold. Saying no is in their DNA. They have told their base that they will not give an inch and they will keep faith with that.

I suspect that the more sensible ones amongst them (one has to assume some of them are more sensible) have come to realise that Brexit will boost the chances of a unity referendum and would secretly like to dump the whole idea, and the best way of doing that is to carry on saying no until parliament votes to extend.

Brexit will definitively mean a unified Ireland in my lifetime. The drum bashers are mental not stupid unlike their host organism the tories who are both.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I saw that, but why?

I find her charmless and hypocritical but she represents a substantial strand of current political thinking.
  • Options

What has he / she done?
    I don't know. We will no doubt find out soon.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Never even heard of either of these. Was Ed Miliband involved ?
    You never seen a Giraffe? They are in most city centres...generic nothingness.
This discussion has been closed.