Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In this week’s PB / Polling Matters podcast: LAB’s Brexit shif

124»

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

Mr. Rentool, a month without chocolate?

One shudders to think of the sin that requires such penance.

Horrific. I had to suffer a spell without chocolate as some pills I was on briefly caused interesting side effects if I ate chocolate. I discovered this the hard way as there was no mention of any issue in the patient info sheet. Just one jaffa cake & 15 mins later I was running for the loo - galloping diarrhea... The elimination process on the food was fun.
    How long ago was that; as one who used to have to study and explain Patient Information Leaflets I can't recall any where chocolate was a problem, but it's a few years ago now and memory may have failed. However, if it was recent, there's a Centre at (IIRC) Southampton University which keeps these things up to date, and they'd be interested.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    Floater said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's true and it's not true

It measures debt held by national banks vs income in those countries.

Sensible enough?

No. Because it means that if a Norwegian bank lends to a German, it gets added to the Norwegian debt to income number, rather than the German.

The consequence of this is that a few very international banks in small countries, like SEB in Sweden and Nordbank in Norway, completely distort the figures.

(That being said, Denmark has a scary mortgage debt problem.)
    So basically take away those countries likely to be lending into larger economies adjacent, and the Uk is right at the upper end. Although Australia appears to have a big problem?
    They have extremely low public debt though - less than 20% of GDP (and even that's a steep rise from the Howard years where for a time they had net credit).

https://theconversation.com/factcheck-has-australias-net-debt-doubled-under-the-current-government-100819

Edit - and don't forget we have a fair number of international banks as well, although I fully agree we are over-leveraged as an economy.
    The average UK household is now a net borrower:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1101388088197169152?s=19

There are a lot of skint people out there living beyond their means.
    I have often pondered assembling a photo album of small, terraced houses with huge eff off range rovers parked outside them. Would be a large album.
    SNIP
    I am in a 4th group, chuckling quietly at the antics of the first three.

Those infinite regresses are a right bugger.
    Some people buy flash motors they can afford , group 5
    They are the worst.
    You really love me, admit it.
    Nice Avatar pic Malc - is it new or have I not being paying attention?
    Been there a while now. I got my grandson one of these painted in the TIKI colours etc, very nice. Also got him this one recently.
    https://www.rctank.de/New-Panther-F-metal-edition-with-Taigen-BB-shoot-unit-metal-lower-hull-and-turret-steel-41-gearboxes
  • Options
    Anorak said:

malcolmg said:

Of course. Personally I am a member of the elite 6th group - people who could afford to buy a flash motor but choose not too. Our smugness is truly a sight to behold.

Good for you.
    PS: Some scumbag keyed my new car, ugly 18" scratch on back door.
    A Tory no doubt. Probably a 'Wessmincer Tooory' at that.
    LOL likely though I think it happened when I was at football match, was parked well away from ground but big crowd and many passing that way, otherwise it was in supermarket car park.
  • Options
    Floater said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's true and it's not true

SNIP

(That being said, Denmark has a scary mortgage debt problem.)
    So basically take away those countries likely to be lending into larger economies adjacent, and the Uk is right at the upper end. Although Australia appears to have a big problem?
    They have SNIP

Edit - and don't forget we have a fair number of international banks as well, although I fully agree we are over-leveraged as an economy.
    The average UK household is now a net borrower:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1101388088197169152?s=19

There are a lot of skint people out there living beyond their means.
    I have often pondered assembling a photo album of small, terraced houses with huge eff off range rovers parked outside them. Would be a large album.
    The deboth of the first two groups.
    I am in a 4th group, chuckling quietly at the antics of the first three.

Those infinite regresses are a right bugger.
    Some people buy flash motors they can afford , group 5
    They are the worst.
    You really love me, admit it.
    Of course. Personally I am a member of the elite 6th group - people who could afford to buy a flash motor but choose not too. Our smugness is truly a sight to behold.
    No smugness in this quarter - I just am not going to spend that sort of money on a car.

My friend on the other hand is unbelievably smug about his Merc convertible - I laughed like a drain when another friend told me it was leased not purchased.

It is just good banter, each to their own on what they spend their cash on.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,792
    TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Has anyone got a shovel for David Lammy? Guy has lost the plot. Moral of the story never attack anyone who's won Strictly.

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1101392432841793536

Within the context of 99.9% of modern comedians being not funny (100% at 6.30pm on R4), that is very funny and absolutely touches on, and supports the point Lammy was making yesterday.
    If it was the kind of comedy that is on Comic Relief, then it might be relevant to his argument. But if the best he can say is "could be on it", then no it isn't.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,792
    Foxy said:

Floater said:

Big thanks to the PBer who put me onto the Steam Punk weekend in Lincoln (Was it Richard Tyndell?).

Hotel rooms booked and looking forward to it.

PB space buffs might also be interested in the Blue Dot Festival in Cheshire this July. Kraftwerk and New Order headline and excellent science and astronomy sessions.

https://www.discoverthebluedot.com/homepage
    The Royal Statistical Society has its annual conference in Belfast this year. There's a pub quiz if you're interested.

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Last!
This discussion has been closed.