Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    IanB2 said:

Apols if posted already; the Times YouGov it published last night (fw 22/3 Feb):

Con 41%
    Lab 30%
    LDem 10%
    Oth 19%

And with TIG:

Con 36%
    Lab 23%
    TIG 18%
    LDem 6%
    Oth 17%

It will be very interesting to see how Corbyn's volte face might change the figures, as this immediately predates it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

The more I think about it the more I'm up for the Brussels idea of a 21 month extension to A50 as long as the EU specifically uses that extension to hammer out the long term trading arrangement rather than discuss the backstop for another year and nine months.

No, that is what the transition period is for. In a sane world the EU would have agreed to discuss the trade arrangements in parallel with the WA so we would have done this but they refused and, bizarrely, we acceded rather than telling them to do one.

What is urgently needed now, and has been since at least December (which year? Ed.) is a reduction in uncertainty. That means we leave with the WA and transition period as soon as possible. That probably isn't the original date because this government's supreme incompetence includes not passing the relevant legislation but as soon as possible thereafter.

Of course it is becoming increasingly likely we will not leave at all but I really dread to think what will happen to this country in that scenario.

I doubt that much will happen if we Remain. Some people will be angry, others will be delighted, life will go on - much as it will go on in any of the scenarios that will play out from here. There are no good options at this stage. Just less bad ones. The least bad one is a symbolic departure that keeps us in the SM and CU, but outside the political project. It’s basically the Starmer plan. But that is the least likely to happen, even though most MPs would back it.

I think that all those remainers who dream that this is just going to magically disappear when they get their way are making the ERG look like cold, hard headed realists. This country will never be the same again.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,789

' Thirteen people were found "absolutely packed" into a three-bedroom house in Newcastle, the BBC has found.

The bath had been ripped out and a bunk bed put in its place, officials found when they visited the property in Ponteland Road, Blakelaw, in January.

None of the people, who were restaurant workers, knew each other, Paula Davis from Newcastle City Council said.

The council is now pursuing the private landlord for operating a house in multiple occupation without a licence.

The Home Office said of the 13, three women and seven men aged between 20 and 51 were arrested for either overstaying their visas or on suspicion of obtaining leave to enter the UK by deception. '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-47310505

I have pointed out that modern middle class life is dependent upon exploitation of an immigrant serf class.

But we prefer it if they are kept out of sight.

Do working class people in Newcastle not go to restaurants?

They eat from snap boxes at the whippet races. While touching their forelocks.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2019

RobD said:

No-deal Brexit will seriously damage NHS, warns The Lancet:

https://t.co/AkcKrs80hg?amp=1

And concludes that the only way to avoid damaging healthcare is to remain a member of the bloc.

How convenient.
    However, Peak Guardian was achieved with the article that claimed no deal Brexit would cause the Great Nanny Shortage.

Remainers might have to look after little Ella Persephone and tiny Tancred Thomas themselves in the event of No Deal.
    Still my favourite Peak Brexit story - real 'finger on the pulse' stuff:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/culture/michelin-restaurants-in-britain-how-will-brexit-impact-uk-fine-dining-1-4839214
    Is that a spoof ? There are so many good things in the article.

"We’re a country where ethnicity is celebrated by many; hummus is as much a part of sentiments as pickled herring." That is pure Meeks.

I know there are lots of spoof Remainers posting on pb.com, trying to make the Remain cause look ridiculous. But, the Brexit impact on Fine Dining is just such an jaw-droppingly brilliant bit of satire.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

Labour are all over the place and Corbyn clearly will not back TM deal with a referendum

The impression I get is that Corbyn and his cabal are in a blind panic and attempting large doses of fudge to prevent further defections but the underlining issues of anti semitism and hard left views still remain with a substantial number of his mps.

He runs the risk of upsetting most everyone in his party, adding to the probability of a split in the next few months...

With the glaring difference of anti semitism, that's not a million miles from where May is.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

I think that all those remainers who dream that this is just going to magically disappear when they get their way are making the ERG look like cold, hard headed realists. This country will never be the same again.

https://twitter.com/mocent0/status/1100312704777142272
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

The more I think about it the more I'm up for the Brussels idea of a 21 month extension to A50 as long as the EU specifically uses that extension to hammer out the long term trading arrangement rather than discuss the backstop for another year and nine months.

No, that is what the transition period is for. In a sane world the EU would have agreed to discuss the trade arrangements in parallel with the WA so we would have done this but they refused and, bizarrely, we acceded rather than telling them to do one.

What is urgently needed now, and has been since at least December (which year? Ed.) is a reduction in uncertainty. That means we leave with the WA and transition period as soon as possible. That probably isn't the original date because this government's supreme incompetence includes not passing the relevant legislation but as soon as possible thereafter.

Of course it is becoming increasingly likely we will not leave at all but I really dread to think what will happen to this country in that scenario.

I doubt that much will happen if we Remain. Some people will be angry, others will be delighted, life will go on - much as it will go on in any of the scenarios that will play out from here. There are no good options at this stage. Just less bad ones. The least bad one is a symbolic departure that keeps us in the SM and CU, but outside the political project. It’s basically the Starmer plan. But that is the least likely to happen, even though most MPs would back it.

That is the case anyway.

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed. They are every bit as extreme as the ERG, just the other side of the coin.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Nevertheless its the outcome that does the least damage, in the round. There are only bad options from here.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    IanB2 said:

Apols if posted already; the Times YouGov it published last night (fw 22/3 Feb):

Con 41%
    Lab 30%
    LDem 10%
    Oth 19%

And with TIG:

Con 36%
    Lab 23%
    TIG 18%
    LDem 6%
    Oth 17%

(TIG taking 5% from Tory, 7% from Labour, 4% from LDs and 2% from others)

The first poll doesn’t make sense 19% for others . Unless UKIP have gone up a huge amount then that seems far too high.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

It won’t be the same regardless of what happens . But a second vote isn’t happening so I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. I say this as an arch Remainer . I just want an orderly exit at this stage and a transition period .
  • Options
    Miss Vance, I wonder if the pollster prompted for TIG, as happened (from some, at least) previously?
  • Options

RobD said:

And concludes that the only way to avoid damaging healthcare is to remain a member of the bloc.

How convenient.
    However, Peak Guardian was achieved with the article that claimed no deal Brexit would cause the Great Nanny Shortage.

Remainers might have to look after little Ella Persephone and tiny Tancred Thomas themselves in the event of No Deal.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/culture/michelin-restaurants-in-britain-how-will-brexit-impact-uk-fine-dining-1-4839214

"We’re a country where ethnicity is celebrated by many; hummus is as much a part of sentiments as pickled herring." That is pure Meeks.

I know there are lots of spoof Remainers posting on pb.com, trying to make the Remain cause look ridiculous. But, the Brexit impact on Fine Dining is just such an jaw-droppingly brilliant bit of satire.
    I invite you to find a post where I have said anything like that. I'll give you a reasonable time period to do so. Say, six months or so.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Brexit is really improving the nation's self-image:

https://twitter.com/SkyData/status/1100291401647046656

I suppose hard-working and kind is something.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    nico67 said:

IanB2 said:

Con 41%
    Lab 30%
    LDem 10%
    Oth 19%

And with TIG:

Con 36%
    Lab 23%
    TIG 18%
    LDem 6%
    Oth 17%

The first poll doesn’t make sense 19% for others . Unless UKIP have gone up a huge amount then that seems far too high.
    YouGov is asking both for UKIP and Farage's new party, and the Other breakdown is:

SNP/PC = 5%
    UKIP = 5%
    Green = 4%
    Brexit = 2% (splitters!)
    WEP=0%
    Other=3% (which is high given its a GB poll, but people don't need to specify, just choose "some other party" - possibly people wanting TIG in the Q that doesn't ask about TIG, as the with-TIG others drops by 2%?)

• Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    Scott_P said:
    Sorry Gabby, too much focus on Starmer, Thornberry and Watson, not enough on how momentum are mobilising.
  • Options

RobD said:

How convenient.

I invite you to find a post where I have said anything like that. I'll give you a reasonable time period to do so. Say, six months or so.
    True, it is perhaps a little more grandiloquent than the fatuous and clunking six-former prose of "Londoners are made, not born".

But, you must bear in mind that I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I was supposing that, if the occasion demanded, you could raise your game as regards prose style and imagery.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Scott_P said:
    Well, that isn't what Thornberry said yesterday...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    IanB2 said:

nico67 said:

IanB2 said:

Con 41%
    Lab 30%
    LDem 10%
    Oth 19%

And with TIG:

Con 36%
    Lab 23%
    TIG 18%
    LDem 6%
    Oth 17%

YouGov is asking both for UKIP and Farage's new party, and the Other breakdown is:

SNP/PC = 5%
    UKIP = 5%
    Green = 4%
    Brexit = 2% (splitters!)
    WEP=0%
    Other=3% (which is high given its a GB poll, but people don't need to specify, just choose "some other party" - possibly people wanting TIG in the Q that doesn't ask about TIG, as the with-TIG others drops by 2%?)

I'd think that the 3% is the level of spontaneous write-in support for the Independents when they're not prompted as a party option. When they are, Tories drop 5, Labour drops 7 and LibDems drop 4.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    viewcode said:

_Anazina_ said:

Cyclefree said:

All this excitable talk about another referendum ignores one crucial fact. Will the EU agree to an extension and won’t this depend on what the question is?

Tusk seemed very open today in his speech to a ‘faffing about’ extension. I heard a figure of 21 months being bandied about, can’t remember source. Smart play by the EU, as they know support for Brexit is only going one way - down. Every month that goes by, it gets weaker.
    Support for Brexit degrades at approximately 1 point every 4 months due to demographic changes.
    Leaving aside the distastefulness of that for the moment, is that actually true?
    Nothing that simple is ever true.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Nevertheless its the outcome that does the least damage, in the round.
    That's a keeper.....
  • Options

' Thirteen people were found "absolutely packed" into a three-bedroom house in Newcastle, the BBC has found.

The bath had been ripped out and a bunk bed put in its place, officials found when they visited the property in Ponteland Road, Blakelaw, in January.

None of the people, who were restaurant workers, knew each other, Paula Davis from Newcastle City Council said.

The council is now pursuing the private landlord for operating a house in multiple occupation without a licence.

The Home Office said of the 13, three women and seven men aged between 20 and 51 were arrested for either overstaying their visas or on suspicion of obtaining leave to enter the UK by deception. '

I have pointed out that modern middle class life is dependent upon exploitation of an immigrant serf class.

I see you have no problem with the exploitation as long as the proles benefit a little as well.

Very New Labour.
  • Options

RobD said:

How convenient.

True, it is perhaps a little more grandiloquent than the fatuous and clunking six-former prose of "Londoners are made, not born".

I was supposing that, if the occasion demanded, you could raise your game as regards prose style and imagery.
    Since you're the cretin who thinks that working class people don't have childcare, I suppose that's as close as I can expect you to get to an apology for completely traducing me.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed. They are every bit as extreme as the ERG, just the other side of the coin.
    Except they don't have democratic legitimacy on their side. Just Mwaaaaaaaah - Don't Want It!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Endillion said:

Scott_P said:
    So what is a Credible Leave Deal?
  • Options
    It seems like Emily and Keir are bouncing the Lab Leader and his spokesman in to a Remain or deal referendum where Labour would back remain?

That's clearly not what the leader/spokesman wants?

Have I got this right?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Whether true or not, it is pretty clear that Corbyn (like May) is losing control of his party.
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Nevertheless its the outcome that does the least damage, in the round. There are only bad options from here.
    Least damage to what? It is probably the worst outcome in terms of the signal it sends to large parts of the electorate.
  • Options

RobD said:

How convenient.

Since you're the cretin who thinks that working class people don't have childcare, I suppose that's as close as I can expect you to get to an apology for completely traducing me.
    There is a difference between nannies and the nurseries that the rest of us use.

Remember, one prominent Remainer on this board has been boasting, in Rees-Mogg fashion, of his nanny.
  • Options

It seems like Emily and Keir are bouncing the Lab Leader and his spokesman in to a Remain or deal referendum where Labour would back remain?

Have I got this right?

Looks like it
  • Options
    eek said:

Endillion said:

Scott_P said:
    A Labour jobs-first Deal. Not an evil Tory cuts Deal.

I assume.
  • Options
    Not rotting in the fields:

' Aldi is claiming victory in the race to stock the first British-grown strawberries of 2019.

Grown under glass at Springfield Nursery near Cowbridge in south Wales, the first hand-picked punnets came in earlier than last year on 15 February. '

http://www.fruitnet.com/fpj/article/177895/aldi-first-with-new-season-uk-strawberries

Lets remember what Vince Cable told us in 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYGggnF0WAc
  • Options
    Fairest option Labour Brexit v Tory Brexit v Remain .

Top two in a run off .
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1100317508169621504

https: //twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1100317508169621504
  • Options
    Endillion said:

eek said:

Endillion said:

Scott_P said:
    A Labour jobs-first Deal. Not an evil Tory cuts Deal.

I assume.
    Which hasn't been negotiated with the EU, let alone agreed with the 27

The labour proposal is a mirage
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Brexit is a complete disaster all round. There are only bad options from here.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Foxy said:

Blaydon Races weren't for whippets.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Top two in a run off .

There is only TM deal or remain. Labour Brexit has not been negotiated with or without the unicorns
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Its been a complete disaster for our political class but not for the people of the country.

And its no bad thing for the our political class to be exposed for what they are.
  • Options

I see you have no problem with the exploitation as long as the proles benefit a little as well.

Very New Labour.

That'll be a No then.

• Options
    Another EU referendum this has fallen from 3.5 yesterday to 3 today.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

CD13 said:

Pharmaceuticals have always been an interesting commodity. The cost is in years of research and development, the actual production costs are a pittance, once the QA is assured. You're basically charging for the preceding scientific endeavour.

Which means margins need to be high and it's why me-toos are popular. But it all depends on post-registration sales. We're not talking of bulky, low-value goods here. Could someone talk me through the mechanics of drugs falling from the sky and disappearing the moment we leave the EU. I spent half my career in drug research and development but never worried too much about marketing.

We're a big and a vital market, so you can be sure the companies won't be caught by surprise.

Big problem is the way the market works. In effect. there's only one purchaser for drugs, the NHS. And, as far as community pharmacy is concerned (hospitals are smaller, and the system management is different) the DoH tells pharmacists what it's prepared to pay for any given medication. The list is revised monthly. And there are four really, really big players, who also own the wholesalers and quite a few small ones. Medicines come in two categories, ethicals and generics. Ethicals are those still in patent, where the manufacturer agrees the price with the NHS...... we see an a public argument over those every so often. Generics are those out of patent where anyone whose factory can achieve the requisite standards can make them, and this can be anywhere in the world. The problems come when the NHS announces it will pay £x for whatever, and nowhere in the world can anyone be found to make and sell it for that price, or, of course, only one or two of the manufacturers. Consequently currency values affect the situation.
    There is also the category of biologicals, where making 'generics' is considerably more problematic than just copying a formula. Demonstrating equivalence can require further clinical trials - and actual production costs are very far from 'a pittance'.

Vaccines more or less fall into this category, but afaik the UK is pretty strong in vaccine manufacturing.
    Yes, the only shortage of vaccines (etc) that I ever came across was, IIRC, Tuberculin, and I was involved with some very substantial campaigns.
    Tuberculin was interesting in that we were supposed to stop testing and buy no more' because 'there wasn't any TB in UK'. From what I'd seen in my area that wasn't the case so we held on to our stock until there was suddenly a panic; anyone got any.... we need to test in......!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904

Have I got this right?

Looks like it
    Both parties are so broken. Beyond the repair skills of all the kings men and all the kings horses.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

CD13 said:

Here's a suggestion for the re-run referendum question..

Should we (a) Accept we're a supplicant nation and bend the knee to our betters in the EU before slinking away to lick our wounds like the whipped curs we are, OR

(b) Strike out to forge a confident nation once again, becoming a beacon of light for the new Europe.

That sounds fair enough.

Option (b) requires a Remain win
    LOL. There really are some deluded Eurofanatics around this morning.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Its been a complete disaster for our political class but not for the people of the country.

And its no bad thing for the our political class to be exposed for what they are.
    I refer you to the Sky Data poll I noted above which finds that Britain sees itself as divided, worried and intolerant. It also finds that Britain sees itself as racist and Islamophobic. That is no doubt not all Brexit, but you have to be a real cheerleader for the concept to avoid the conclusion that it's played a big part in that.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

It might not have been a compete disaster for 'the people' but it can't be described as a success either!
  • Options

Very New Labour.

That'll be a No then.

So yet again you make no reference to the exploitation.

Still at least you haven't reached Roger's level of defending it.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Top two in a run off .

There is only TM deal or remain. Labour Brexit has not been negotiated with or without the unicorns
    Thornberry said last night (i think; I'm not sure of much anymore) that if their version got rejected on Wednesday then it was May's Deal Vs Remain. With (presumably) Labour leading the Remain campaign.

This is all a smokescreen. Labour cannot afford a referendum; they just desperately need about half their supporters to believe they're not against one.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Whether true or not, it is pretty clear that Corbyn (like May) is losing control of his party.
    Of his Parliamentary party.
  • Options
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

I refer you to the Sky Data poll I noted above which finds that Britain sees itself as divided, worried and intolerant. It also finds that Britain sees itself as racist and Islamophobic. That is no doubt not all Brexit, but you have to be a real cheerleader for the concept to avoid the conclusion that it's played a big part in that.
    Is that better or worse than us thinking we're not racist or Islamophobic when we actually are?

I suppose the worst of all worlds is that minorities are the only ones who think we're an intolerant country.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Top two in a run off .

Say Labour's wins. Then what - we start the negotaiting process over? And when the EU says "Labour's deal" is May's Deal? The one that has been rejected by the voters.....
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

And how would that change without Brexit ?

And how does it compare to other Western countries ?

As you know I've been saying we've become a 'take it from them and give it to me' society from long before the Referendum.

Western societies are splintering and atomising and getting angrier with each other and its a process which is going to continue because there aren't the resources to meet all the promises which have been made.
  • Options

Very New Labour.

That'll be a No then.

I am making reference to your premise that being in the EU only benefits effete, anti-working class members of the middle class.
  • Options
    Anyway, as usual the attention is being focussed in entirely the wrong place at present.

The group that needs close scrutiny is the group of unhappy Conservative Remain-voting MPs who reluctantly backed Theresa May's deal. Are they going to show any interest in a fresh referendum?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,138
    I have the grim feeling that - with people now convinced that No Deal isn't going to happen - we're going to end up with the Commons still deadlocked next month and with the EU agreeing to an extension that will be too short to do anything other than leave us in the same predicament in May (the month, not the power vacuum).

If we're still deadlocked in May, I really don't think we can count on another extension.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

nico67 said:

Top two in a run off .

Thornberry said last night (i think; I'm not sure of much anymore) that if their version got rejected on Wednesday then it was May's Deal Vs Remain. With (presumably) Labour leading the Remain campaign.

This is all a smokescreen. Labour cannot afford a referendum; they just desperately need about half their supporters to believe they're not against one.
    Nope, it is estimated, I think, that the vast majority of Lab supporters now support remain. They should make a calculation that the remainder will probably never vote Tory under any circumstances. It is a pretty standard political calculation; upset a small minority of your support base (eg gay marriage for Cameron) and hope they forgive you because most won't vote for the other lot.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    May is still the problem. The chief architect of this unfolding misery.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

It might not have been a compete disaster for 'the people' but it can't be described as a success either!
    The modern world doesn't do success.

The best we can hope for is 'not as bad as we expected' and 'almost as good as we were promised'.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Our "political class" are just a reflection of who we are, and not all of them are at all bad. You get the politicians you deserve. If you want to believe they are all terrible people that is what you will see.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,219

DougSeal said:

CD13 said:

Should we (a) Accept we're a supplicant nation and bend the knee to our betters in the EU before slinking away to lick our wounds like the whipped curs we are, OR

(b) Strike out to forge a confident nation once again, becoming a beacon of light for the new Europe.

That sounds fair enough.

Oh Oscar, once again you cruelly toy with and torture me with your devastating wit. I don't know where I find the will to go on after such a devastating deconstruction of my position but, somehow, I must.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Jonathan said:

She is seems like a robotic person stuck in repeat mode.
    What a time to have one of our worst Prime minister's in charge.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Very New Labour.

That'll be a No then.

I am making reference to your premise that being in the EU only benefits effete, anti-working class members of the middle class.
    Where did @another_richard mention the EU?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Jonathan said:

Isn't that Cameron (with a bit of help from Boris)? May is just the builder, who can't make any sense of the drawings.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Endillion said:

nico67 said:

Top two in a run off .

A referendum is cheaper than a general election especially when there is a not Corbyn option now in the process of being created.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

I can't see how it can be described as any kind of success for "the people", who ever they are. It will be "the people" who will ultimately suffer form this totally pointless exercise in national self-harm.
  • Options

Very New Labour.

That'll be a No then.

I didn't say that.

But what I will say is that the exploitation of an immigrant serf class benefits people more the higher they are on the socio-economic scale.

Likewise the drawbacks of an exploited immigrant serf class tend to be suffered more the lower down you are on the socio-economic scale.

Its not upper middle class suburbia where the 'thirteen in a house, bath converted into a bunk bed' tends to be found.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

The modern world doesn't do success.

The best we can hope for is 'not as bad as we expected' and 'almost as good as we were promised'.
    Wasn't it ever thus. Possibly the Glorious Revolution might be so described, I suppose. Where's Ydoethur when he's needed!
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Another EU referendum this has fallen from 3.5 yesterday to 3 today.

eh? On BFE now its 3.4 (lay at 3.75) and was shorter yesterday
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Our "political class" are just a reflection of who we are, and not all of them are at all bad. You get the politicians you deserve. If you want to believe they are all terrible people that is what you will see.
    I used to believe that and have never had a high opinion of our politicians.

But they've regularly doing worse than I ever expected.

And it seems to be an increasingly common viewpoint.

Perhaps its a sign of growing old and politicians, like pop music, appeared better 10/20/30 years ago :wink:
  • Options
    Sanders takes the lead in Democratic polling.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

Both he and Biden beat Trump by the same 10-point margin - which is not enormous, considering that Hilary had a 3-point lead too.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

No, that is what

Perhaps its a sign of growing old and politicians, like pop music, appeared better 10/20/30 years ago :wink:
    Being a British politician at national level today is less consequential and worse in terms of opportunity cost than at any time in the last 300 years. It’s no surprise that the calibre of MPs and ministers is in decline.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

CD13 said:

That sounds fair enough.

Oh Oscar, once again you cruelly toy with and torture me with your devastating wit. I don't know where I find the will to go on after such a devastating deconstruction of my position but, somehow, I must.
    You could just try not posting and that would make us all feel better.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    brendan16 said:

Why doesn't she favour Labour's proposed Brexit deal being on the ballot paper too? Its just May's deal but with added Turkey (i.e. in a customs union with the EU but not in the single market) isn't it.
    Because if May accepts Labour's deal then Labour back Brexit.
  • Options

Very New Labour.

That'll be a No then.

I didn't say that.

But what I will say is that the exploitation of an immigrant serf class benefits people more the higher they are on the socio-economic scale.

Likewise the drawbacks of an exploited immigrant serf class tend to be suffered more the lower down you are on the socio-economic scale.

Its not upper middle class suburbia where the 'thirteen in a house, bath converted into a bunk bed' tends to be found.

So upper middle class suburbia voted Leave for different reasons, presumably.

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,219

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

CD13 said:

That sounds fair enough.

Wow. You just keep getting better and better. I look forward to your Netflix special.
  • Options

Very New Labour.

That'll be a No then.

I didn't say that.

So upper middle class suburbia voted Leave for different reasons, presumably.

Actually it didn't.

But thanks for showing you have no concerns about exploited workers.

As long as its out of your sight and out of your mind.
  • Options
    Correction, sorry: all those US polls I quoted are just for New Hampshire. Biden still ahead nationally.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

CD13 said:

That sounds fair enough.

Wow. You just keep getting better and better. I look forward to your Netflix special.
    But we'd get bored with the circular plot.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

No, that is what

Being a British politician at national level today is less consequential and worse in terms of opportunity cost than at any time in the last 300 years. It’s no surprise that the calibre of MPs and ministers is in decline.
    That's about right.

And the prevalence of social media is encouraging the loud mouthed ** posturing.

** What's the modern equivalent of loud mouthed ? Loud typing ?
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    edited February 2019
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,874
    edited February 2019

RobD said:

How convenient.

Is that a spoof ? There are so many good thingstire.

There is a difference between nannies and the nurseries that the rest of us use.

Remember, one prominent Remainer on this board has been boasting, in Rees-Mogg fashion, of his nanny.
    Oh dear, he’s at it again.
    I’m honoured to be called a “prominent Remainer”, but not sure I deserve it.

I assure you I have about 1 squillionth of the wealth of Rees-Mogg. But yes, I employ a nanny, like many people do, because my wife and I both work and I have small children. That’s not a boast, just a fact.

I assure you my nanny (who is British) does not sleep 13 to a room. Not only that, I pay - as I am liable to by law - her National Insurance, her pension contributions, and her holidays.

Yes I’ll be first up the against the wall when the Marxist-Brexitist-Eisteddfod Revolution comes, but given your general misanthropic outlook so will most of the rest of the country!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950
    rkrkrk said:

...I can't see how Laura Kuennsberg can know that Labour are planning not to keep their promise!?...

In fairness to Laura, it is plausible given what we believe about the stances of the various Labour personnel.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    JRM not impressed.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Who-eee! Vote on no deal!!
  • Options
    CD13 said:

That sounds fair enough.

"Striking out to forge a confident nation once again" would require setting realistic goals, planning to achieve them, assigning resources to those plans, executing those plans until they succeed, then on to the next plan. It would not require believing in fantasies, waiting for them to come true without effort, then when they fail thrashing around on the floor blaming Remoaners and the EU for everything ever.
  • Options

Horribly, I agree with you. I occasionally get a lodger in and there are rules, and for HMOs (which mine is not) the rules are quite tight. IIRC the minimum floorspace is a guideline not a rule, but things like unimpeded access to an adequate escape route are not. That newcastle house was a disgrace.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Those aren't their forelocks.

Um.

Ah, my coat.... :)
This discussion has been closed.