Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It appears Blair slayer Tom Watson has his sights on Jeremy Co

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

It seems not just to be Theresa's little barfly minion with a 21 month extension in mind:

EU Is Said to Mull 21-Month Delay If May Can't Get Brexit Done https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-24/eu-is-said-to-mull-idea-of-proposing-brexit-extension-to-2021

All the advantages of the WA, without the small inconvenince of needing a vote. In practice much the same only we are in pretending to be out, rather than out pretending to be in. Dec 20 still at 32 on BFEx.

I’m curious why the EU is in favour of this. The people we will end up sending to the European Parliament will make UKIP look like the WI.

It will also be extremely damaging to the Tory Party’s standing in the opinion polls. Surely May knows that?
    I think that if we have MEPs then Remain parties will do very well. UKIP MEPs are just punch and judy entertainment.

21 months is to the end of the budget cycle, and allows both a solution to the Backstop (such as permanent CU) to be negotiated, and of course a #peoplesvote.
    Just a suggestion. Why not call it a second referendum rather than the silly 'peoples vote'
    They should stick to 'confirmatory referendum'.
    #FinalSay
    Wasn't the vote in 2016 supposed to be the final say?
    I don't think so, it wasn't framed in that way. If it had been that would surely be profoundly antidemocratic, giving the electorate of 2016 an unassailable tyranny over all subsequent electorates.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    Well this is a bit different! WTF is going on at Wembley?!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited February 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

It seems not just to be Theresa's little barfly minion with a 21 month extension in mind:

EU Is Said to Mull 21-Month Delay If May Can't Get Brexit Done https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-24/eu-is-said-to-mull-idea-of-proposing-brexit-extension-to-2021

All the advantages of the WA, without the small inconvenince of needing a vote. In practice much the same only we are in pretending to be out, rather than out pretending to be in. Dec 20 still at 32 on BFEx.

I’m curious why the EU is in favour of this. The people we will end up sending to the European Parliament will make UKIP look like the WI.

It will also be extremely damaging to the Tory Party’s standing in the opinion polls. Surely May knows that?
    I think that if we have MEPs then Remain parties will do very well. UKIP MEPs are just punch and judy entertainment.

21 months is to the end of the budget cycle, and allows both a solution to the Backstop (such as permanent CU) to be negotiated, and of course a #peoplesvote.
    Just a suggestion. Why not call it a second referendum rather than the silly 'peoples vote'
    #FinalSay
    I don't think so, it wasn't framed in that way. If it had been that would surely be profoundly antidemocratic, giving the electorate of 2016 an unassailable tyranny over all subsequent electorates.
    It was by a certain David Cameron, PM.
  • Options
    Absolute scenes at Wembley.

Never seen anything like it before.
  • Options
    Sensational scenes at the final between manager and goalkeeper.

I have never seen anything like it in all my 65 years following football
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

It's amazing how politicians who you despise can-all-of-a-sudden become a thoroughly decent person once they do something you agree with. It wasn't long ago that Watson was The Fat Nonce Finder General on here. Now, because he backs a second referendum and has set his sights on Corbyn, he's atop bloke! Truly my enemy's enemy......

It's amazing how politicians who you despise can-all-of-a-sudden become a thoroughly decent person once they do something you agree with. It wasn't long ago that Watson was The Fat Nonce Finder General on here. Now, because he backs a second referendum and has set his sights on Corbyn, he's atop bloke! Truly my enemy's enemy......

Everyone he touches turn to shit. “This time it’s different”.
  • Options
    I think Tom Watson has acted completely correctly at this moment. Though one might ask whether he could have done more earlier.

On next week's vote - how clear was the promise to hold the vote? Was there some wiggle room, or conditional?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    edited February 2019
    ydoethur said:

Have a good evening.

You too. Have not reprinted since we are not saying different things about this. To put it generically - for the same ultimate debt outcome it is better to borrow a tenner calmly and gradually over ten days than to pay down your debts by a fiver over five days, showing off how incredibly safe and sensible you are, and then borrow fifteen quid in a mad flap over the next five days. My view (even as a Labour supporter) is that Gordon was not a particularly good Chancellor, for that reason, for PFI, for the 10p fiasco, for pandering to the City.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,052

Disgraceful stuff. Sarri was already on the way out from what I understand, how can he stay after being humilated like that?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay
    No, by David Cameron in his private capacity as a glib OE with a shiny forehead and a product to sell. The PM has no power to rewrite statute by obiter dictum - as of course you know.
  • Options
    Chelsea manager cannot survive this surely, even if they win the shoot out
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Layla Moran not very impressed with the Sunday Times' suggestion that she might run for party president.

https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1099731186216259584

Lol definitely her tweet https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1099731186216259584
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay
    Statements of intent, even by Prime Ministers, are meaningless if not backed up in law.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay
    No, by David Cameron in his private capacity as a glib OE with a shiny forehead and a product to sell. The PM has no power to rewrite statute by obiter dictum - as of course you know.
    Okay.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Disgraceful stuff. Sarri was already on the way out from what I understand, how can he stay after being humilated like that?
    The think I take from this is even though we are watching football we still have time to post !!
  • Options
    One of them's going to be sacked, I wonder which.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay
    Okay.
    Think of it the other way around.

If Remain had won Leavers always have the option of overturning the result later on.
  • Options

Not the one they paid £72 million for.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    If Scotland got the reffing protection Ireland does then we'd win a fair few more games.
  • Options

Given Sarri was already on the ropes I would think this would be the thing that pushes him into leaving 'by mutual consent'.
  • Options
    Oh dear, things just got a whole lot worse for Kepa!
  • Options
    He should have saved that. O dear
  • Options
    What a tosser Kepa is.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    kle4 said:

Given Sarri was already on the ropes I would think this would be the thing that pushes him into leaving 'by mutual consent'.
    But as an owner can you keep a player who defies the manager? That makes player power totally dominant.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090

He should have saved that. O dear

His bags should be packed immediately, no way can you allow players to act like that.
  • Options
    He made up for it - would you believe it
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Unbelievable comment from Jemaine Jenas

Maurizio Sarri is still sulking he didn't get his way. The emotion he possesses in such a pivotal moment is too much. Something bad has gone against him but come on you're the manager of the team.

Precisely! He's the manager of the team, it shouldn't be a public contest to see who 'gets their way'. That's such a player's comment to make - they should get to do whatever they want.
  • Options
    Chelsea should have got their Willy out.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay
    In which case the government referendum leaflet should have been declared illegal for stating this:

' A once in a generation decision '

' This is your decision. The Government will implement what you decide. '

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/515068/why-the-government-believes-that-voting-to-remain-in-the-european-union-is-the-best-decision-for-the-uk.pdf
  • Options

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay
    Okay.

If Remain had won Leavers always have the option of overturning the result later on.
    Not after three years though!
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay
    In which case the government referendum leaflet should have been declared illegal for stating this:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/515068/why-the-government-believes-that-voting-to-remain-in-the-european-union-is-the-best-decision-for-the-uk.pdf
    Nothing incorrect about that being what they wanted to do. Governments and oppositions promise they will do things all the time that they then don't do.
  • Options
    Kepa has only reaffirmed my correct decision to never watch men's professional football ever again.
  • Options
    It will be all about Chelsea chaos tomorrow than City winning
  • Options
    RobD said:

They would, the shits in the ERG were planning on doing just that if Remain had won, starting with trying to oust David Cameron on the 24th of June 2016.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay

The Vote Leave leaflet said any change would be gradual and not a sudden rupture and the UK wouldn’t start legally leaving until it had a deal in place . So any thoughts on that ?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,004
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Is it really a negotiating period to just extend it to 2021? I thought they had said the WA was not up for renegotiating, so would they just give us 2 years to not pass it some more?

So in fact it is up for renegotiation, just not in the way May is trying. Fine, but in that case they should stop pretending the matter is closed.
    The WA isn't up for renegotiation (until it is, of course). Over the past few months various EU grands pajandra (Tusk, Barosso, etc) have mooted an extension purely to allow talks to continue. The end state was not specified. It's a cankicking exercise.
  • Options
    She has not lost yet - she could but she may not
  • Options

Did you miss the largest ever defeat for the government?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

RobD said:

They would, the shits in the ERG were planning on doing just that if Remain had won, starting with trying to oust David Cameron on the 24th of June 2016.
    he ousted himself
  • Options

Did you miss the largest ever defeat for the government?
    I am waiting to see the final chapter
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay

The Vote Leave leaflet said any change would be gradual and not a sudden rupture and the UK wouldn’t start legally leaving until it had a deal in place . So any thoughts on that ?
    Isn’t that what the WA provides for?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay

I agree.
  • Options
    Chelski boss has sacked himself surely? Player refuses to come off? And he lets him stay on the pitch?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay

Nothing incorrect about that being what they wanted to do. Governments and oppositions promise they will do things all the time that they then don't do.
    No, its clearly mendacious.

A truthful statement would have been:

' This might be a once in a generation decision '

' This is not only your decision. The government and parliament will implement what they decide. '

Now politicians spout lies and half-truths all the time but when official government documents are issued they should be legally accurate and that wasn't.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    Ishmael_Z said:

Settled for at least a generation - this IMO was a reasonable interpretation and expectation.

Begging the question, how long is a generation? It is not defined, thus can be validly debated, but I don't think that 3 years is in the range of defensible answers.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay

' This is not only your decision. The government and parliament will implement what they decide. '

Now politicians spout lies and half-truths all the time but when official government documents are issued they should be legally accurate and that wasn't.
    That the CS signed this off was an utter disgrace.
  • Options

Chelski boss has sacked himself surely? Player refuses to come off? And he lets him stay on the pitch?

If he's not announced as going before the morning papers are out then I will believe that Theresa May is about to reveal a legally binding change to the text of the WA and will see her deal pass with ease.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If he's not announced as going before the morning papers are out then I will believe that Theresa May is about to reveal a legally binding change to the text of the WA and will see her deal pass with ease.
    I may hold you to that !!!!!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#PutItToThePeople is the new hashtag.

You may not like branding, but #Peoplesvote has been a very effective bit of marketing. Even Tom Watson is planning to be at the next one.

https://twitter.com/peoplesvote_uk/status/1099640535902547968?s=19
    It is just bollox for morons though, who else but the electorate can vote. They thinking of giving the vote to sheep instead of the sheeple.
    #peoplesvote is SNP policy too, isn't it?
    Does not change that it is just bollox
    https://twitter.com/peoplesvote_uk/status/1048875737200185344?s=19
    It is still bollox, I am no fanboy of the SNP, they are not the be all and end all, similar to other politicians except for fact they are for independence. That is my only connection with them, I want independence.
    I rather suspect that Sturgeon is making noises because she's so far behind in Betfair's next leader to leave market. She's barely turned up!

Quite how any of the other three expect to survive tomorrow let alone longer escapes me. In any normal time Sturgeon would be favourite to go.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    edited February 2019
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay

Doesn't really matter now. It's all water under the bridge. Hopefully the story ends with our finding a legitimate way out of an horrendous mistake. Work back from there.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    kle4 said:

If he isn't sacked, can you guess who will play in goal for them for the rest of the season?

What a complete mess.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay

I agree.
    The leaflet was clearly bollox as a Leave vote would mean different things to different people and so it would be inevitable that government and parliament would interpret it as they thought best.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay
    It might have been if the leavers had ever been able to agree on what it meant.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay

If it did it was bollox - not least because there couldn't have been a Vote Leave government.

But that wasn't an official government document was it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Settled for at least a generation - this IMO was a reasonable interpretation and expectation.

Begging the question, how long is a generation? It is not defined, thus can be validly debated, but I don't think that 3 years is in the range of defensible answers.
    I think I naively thought at the time that the once per generation rule could only apply in the event of a Remain vote, because if you vote leave you then promptly leave and there you are with a fait accompli. I do accept the point that if a referendum goes against you you can't rerun it 3 months later, but here we are three years down the road with leaving turning out to be 100 x worse than anyone expected in 2016. It is just incoherent to pretend that supporting the 2016 result against a 2019 one is a democratic position, because what you are saying is that the electorate is capable of making up its mind but absolutely incapable of changing it, even when the facts change.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay
    The leavers have agreed. Its the pesky Europeans and Remainers who don't agree. ;)

(Seriously if you took a vote of just leave-backing MPs then this would be far simpler, but Remain MPs and the EU Commission and 27 other European nations have to agree too)
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

OllyT said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay
    The leavers have agreed. Its the pesky Europeans and Remainers who don't agree. ;)

(Seriously if you took a vote of just leave-backing MPs then this would be far simpler, but Remain MPs and the EU Commission and 27 other European nations have to agree too)
    Perhaps you need to let Gove and Fox and Johnson and Mogg in what it is that they have agreed on because last time I checked they were advocating quite different courses of action
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited February 2019

What a tosser Kepa is.

That farce has quite rescued by otherwise pants sporting weekend....
  • Options
    Theory: May has given up on the detail of Brexit and is trying to avoid destroying the Tory Party. The vast majority of Tory members and voters are pro-Leave. If Leave must be frustrated, someone else must do the dirty work. If more defect to TIG to force it, so what? Remain-Leave is higher salience than party identification now. The next Tory Leader will be a Leaver. UKIP are bust unless the Tories go Remain. Result: in most constituencies one viable Leaver faces off against at least 2, and possibly more, potentially 3/4 in some constituencies, viable Remainers.
  • Options

What a tosser Kepa is.

That farce has quite rescued by otherwise pants sporting weekend....
    Perfect time for your lot to be playing them on Wednesday.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    OllyT said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay
    Reasonable to suppose it meant tearing up our membership card and seeing what else was on offer. Definitely involved leaving.

Mind you, you're fair to point out that Leave supporting Politicians talked a load of pants. We don't place a lot of faith in their nonsense generally, I'm not sure that we can somehow presume the Brexit ref was some golden age of adequacy in their ranks.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I think I naively thought at the time that the once per generation rule could only apply in the event of a Remain vote, because if you vote leave you then promptly leave and there you are with a fait accompli. I do accept the point that if a referendum goes against you you can't rerun it 3 months later, but here we are three years down the road with leaving turning out to be 100 x worse than anyone expected in 2016. It is just incoherent to pretend that supporting the 2016 result against a 2019 one is a democratic position, because what you are saying is that the electorate is capable of making up its mind but absolutely incapable of changing it, even when the facts change.
    Well leaving hasn't turned out to be 100x worse for the simple reason that we haven't left. All that has happened is that Parliament backed by the Remoaners who refused to accept the result of the referendum have frustrated the process in the hope that we will get a revocation. They have been aided in this by the shear incompetence of the Government, many of whom have never really believed in Brexit anyway.

It is incoherent and fundamentally dishonest to say that you should have a second vote before the first one has been enacted, all based on the fear mongering and dishonesty of those who have always opposed the outcome.

If you get your way then democracy is dead in this country.
  • Options
    So what should happen if a player refuses to be substituted ?

Perhaps the referee should send them off instead on abusive behaviour grounds.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay

Excellent. The Remainers have found yet another reason why their defeat should be scrubbed from the history books so they can have another go.

This is the leaflet that the Government sent out before the official campaign, right? And therefore wasn't included in the official Remain campaign spending. In which case, why would the CS have been interested?
  • Options

So what should happen if a player refuses to be substituted ?

Perhaps the referee should send them off instead on abusive behaviour grounds.

I just wonder if his two attacks of cramp were time wasting and when he realised he was off he suddenly recovered. Cynical maybe but ........
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited February 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I'm with David Davis on this.

“If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy”
  • Options

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay
    Okay.

No they wouldn't. You know damn well that the 'once in a generation' quote would have been all over the place and the issue would be considered 'settled' for the foreseeable future.

Now you want to abandon that principle completely. You will not like what you reap.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    It's finally happened - the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

The keeper should be unemployed and unemployable tomorrow. And so should the captain. I know that in football, they're only there to call heads or tails, but he should have marched the keeper off the field.

Are there any Chelsea supporters prepared to defend them?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277

OllyT said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay

Really? Last time I looked the Chairman of the Vote Leave Campaign and the Chairman of the ERG are taking rather different tacks on this and there is no reason to my mind why the others should reach agreement as you suggest.
  • Options

No they wouldn't. You know damn well that the 'once in a generation' quote would have been all over the place and the issue would be considered 'settled' for the foreseeable future.

Now you want to abandon that principle completely. You will not like what you reap.

No I don't, I've said we should leave, even with no deal.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    CD13 said:

The keeper should be unemployed and unemployable tomorrow. And so should the captain. I know that in football, they're only there to call heads or tails, but he should have marched the keeper off the field.

Not a supporter necessarily, but Jermaine Jenas thinks Sarri's at fault for sulking over not getting his way and not showing class about it.

Chelsea paid a lot for the keeper and not as much for Sarri. The latter will go.

I know they could not physically drag the player off, but I don't know why the referee did not just sent the sub on and demand Kepa go.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Well leaving hasn't turned out to be 100x worse for the simple reason that we haven't left. All that has happened is that Parliament backed by the Remoaners who refused to accept the result of the referendum have frustrated the process in the hope that we will get a revocation. They have been aided in this by the shear incompetence of the Government, many of whom have never really believed in Brexit anyway.

It is incoherent and fundamentally dishonest to say that you should have a second vote before the first one has been enacted, all based on the fear mongering and dishonesty of those who have always opposed the outcome.

The process of leaving is going on, and is transpiring to be 100 times as bad as I expected it to be.

I am loving the argument that if we ask the electorate what to do, and follow their wishes, that proves that democracy is dead. Of course it does.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    philiph said:

kle4 said:

If he isn't sacked, can you guess who will play in goal for them for the rest of the season?

What a complete mess.
    Caballero in goal. With Kepa behind him also in goal no doubt.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#FinalSay
    Okay.

It would have been up to the public whether they considered the issue settled or not. If a party promising Brexit won lots of seats in parliament it obviously wouldn't have been settled.
  • Options
    Mr kl4,

The ref could have red-carded him, but he'd have been the one getting sacked. Football now = farce.

I expect the ex-pros to support their fellows. It follows on from the famous "He was touched in the penalty area, so he was entitled to go down."
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

#PutItToThePeople is the new hashtag.

You may not like branding, but #Peoplesvote has been a very effective bit of marketing. Even Tom Watson is planning to be at the next one.

https://twitter.com/peoplesvote_uk/status/1099640535902547968?s=19
    It is just bollox for morons though, who else but the electorate can vote. They thinking of giving the vote to sheep instead of the sheeple.
    #peoplesvote is SNP policy too, isn't it?
    Does not change that it is just bollox
    https://twitter.com/peoplesvote_uk/status/1048875737200185344?s=19
    It is still bollox, I am no fanboy of the SNP, they are not the be all and end all, similar to other politicians except for fact they are for independence. That is my only connection with them, I want independence.
    I rather suspect that Sturgeon is making noises because she's so far behind in Betfair's next leader to leave market. She's barely turned up!

Quite how any of the other three expect to survive tomorrow let alone longer escapes me. In any normal time Sturgeon would be favourite to go.

Certainly not been impressive, invisible for a long time.
  • Options
    Sarri is saying it was a misunderstanding.
  • Options

It would have been up to the public whether they considered the issue settled or not. If a party promising Brexit won lots of seats in parliament it obviously wouldn't have been settled.

Both main parties promised Brexit at the last election. In total parties promising to abide by the result of the referendum won 572 seats out of 650. But apparently that and the referendum both count for nothing these days.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The process of leaving is going on, and is transpiring to be 100 times as bad as I expected it to be.

I am loving the argument that if we ask the electorate what to do, and follow their wishes, that proves that democracy is dead. Of course it does.
    As I have to keep repeating to people clearly too dumb to understand, democracy is not just about asking the question. It is about enacting the reply. Otherwise it counts for nothing. Henceforth we will be able to say that any alternative action is legitimate as we no longer live in a democracy.
  • Options
    Mr Eagles,

"Sarri is saying it was a misunderstanding."

He's fooling no one, but he has a multi-million pound pay-off to console himself with.

• Options

Apologies you have. You at least have honour in this debate.

That also means you can, with an absolutely clear conscience, start campaigning for us to rejoin the day after we leave.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    edited February 2019

Both main parties promised Brexit at the last election. In total parties promising to abide by the result of the referendum won 572 seats out of 650. But apparently that and the referendum both count for nothing these days.
    Opposition is also legitimate in a democracy.

I honestly think that if it had been 48/52 to Remain, then we'd currently be talking about which Leaver would take over as Tory leader (if Cameron hadn't already been forced out) and whether another referendum would be in their manifesto for the 2020 GE. To settle it, Cameron needed to win by much more than that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

If May agrees to a 21 month delay, she will destroy the Tory Party. She won’t do it.

HOC may force it
    It can’t force her to do anything. If they want someone to do it, then the Tory arch-Europhiles need to find the testicular fortitude to betray their party and put Corbyn in office to action the extension.

The failure of politicians on all sides to take their responsibilities seriously is the most infuriating aspect of Brexit. The best argument against it is that we would be giving more power to these imbeciles.
    I think the majority of her party and the opposition would provide the authority and ERG could not do anything to prevent it. It would be the ultimate irony for them as they jeopardise their last best chance of brexit
    If a motion passes for such a thing, enough ERGers will leave the party to ensure that we have an election. The party will then experience (and would deserve) a 1997 style result.

Corbyn with a clear majority. It’ll be fun.
    That depends on a resurgent Farage Brexit Party taking Tory Leaver votes and maybe a few Labour Leave votes too, Corbyn also faces his own splits with TIG taking Labour Remainer votes unless he commits to EUref2
  • Options

Sarri is saying it was a misunderstanding.

Yeah right. I'd like to see him claim that with a straight face while looking at the footage of what happened and his own reaction.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    Foxy said:

That way May could hold votes on her Deal every month right up until nearly the next general election
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,004

RoyalBlue said:

If May agrees to a 21 month delay, she will destroy the Tory Party. She won’t do it.

HOC may force it
    How?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832

That also means you can, with an absolutely clear conscience, start campaigning for us to rejoin the day after we leave.
    Nah. You get neither the right to define democracy nor honour.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

That way May could hold votes on her Deal every month right up until nearly the next general election
    May will have less authority than Mauricio Sarri if she does that !
  • Options

As I have to keep repeating to people clearly too dumb to understand, democracy is not just about asking the question. It is about enacting the reply. Otherwise it counts for nothing. Henceforth we will be able to say that any alternative action is legitimate as we no longer live in a democracy.

That sort of offensiveness does you no favours whatever. Enacting the result of as advisory referendum means considering the advice. We have had three years to consider the effects of leaving. If you claim that you foresaw in 2016 that we would be where we are now in 2019, i don't believe you because i don't believe anyone could be evil and stupid enough to have campaigned for leave on that basis. The facts have changed; let's give ourselves the option of changing our minds.

You want the rules to be such that when the dice have fallen in your favour no further play is possible. I can see why you would want that, but just stop dressing it up in pompous flimflam about honour and democracy.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

May will have less authority than Mauricio Sarri if she does that !
    Her Cabinet openly say her plans have no chance and they oppose her strategies; she doesn't have authority, it's just no one wants to take on the job.
    Foxy said:

Nah. You get neither the right to define democracy nor honour.

Why can he not have an opinion on it? If you wish to defend what you consider to be democracy and honour others are free to take a contrary view. Otherwise you're just doing the same thing and deciding what others can regard as dishonour.
  • Options
    Mind-blowing? I'm not sure I see it - especially as discussions were had but nothing actually happened.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

And, I believe, the first rumoured route that wins William his bet with Sean?
  • Options
    Deutsche Bank and Donald Trump.

That's an appropriate combination.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

CD13 said:

Not a supporter necessarily, but Jermaine Jenas thinks Sarri's at fault for sulking over not getting his way and not showing class about it.

Chelsea paid a lot for the keeper and not as much for Sarri. The latter will go.

I know they could not physically drag the player off, but I don't know why the referee did not just sent the sub on and demand Kepa go.
    Refs can't substitute players. That's up to the manager. The ref would only have to act if players had left or entered the field of play without his permission, or if there were too many players on the field. Any failure to cooperate with the referee in these respects would lead to the abandonment of the game, and deep shit for the players and the club responsible.
This discussion has been closed.