Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Opinium poll has LAB moving from level-pegging to 8% behin

Comments

• Options
    notme2 said:

notme2 said:

If anyone wants to see a town centre which is doing well then go to York.

It was like the Saturday before Christmas there today and its not a cheap place either.

Some people might be having a drop of austerity but there are many, many others who are wallowing in their own consumption.

Yup, was there for for the York marathon (spectator). A good, busy and smart city.
    Its a bit too touristy and expensive for my liking buts its always a good place to visit and has loads of great pubs.

What was noticeable to me was how many more restaurants there seemed to be and York has never been short of them.

For all the talk of austerity there are many, many people with lots and lots of spare money.
    Austerity was largely a marketing tool with the exception of local authorities and police.

Local authorities means everything from bin collections, through schools to buses. That’s a lot. The Tories have been immensely fortunate in Labour’s choice of leaders.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Tory vote only down 2% if Corbyn is replaced as Labour leader but TIG down 4% if Corbyn is replaced.

For the moment TIG is offering a home for centre left Remainers disaffected with Corbyn
    Suggests that the Tory lead rests entirely on Corbyn, which is credible.
    But not the Tory share, which is surprising.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,843

algarkirk said:

And if you were a Slovenian you may understandably think that the EU is a marked improvement on most of what has gone before, and stick to it like glue.

Possibly.

But, another reading is that Scotland or Catalonia have so far failed where Slovenia succeeded because it was better to be part of the Austrian-Hungarian empire or Yugoslavia rather than part of the British Empire or Spain.
    I don't follow - if it was worse to be part of the latter wouldn't it have been easier to gather up the support in the identity separate from them?
  • Options
    notme2 said:

Two 8 point leads... looking like a trend.

Who doesn't love a good bit of splitting? :D
  • Options

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

It was like the Saturday before Christmas there today and its not a cheap place either.

Some people might be having a drop of austerity but there are many, many others who are wallowing in their own consumption.

Yup, was there for for the York marathon (spectator). A good, busy and smart city.
    Its a bit too touristy and expensive for my liking buts its always a good place to visit and has loads of great pubs.

What was noticeable to me was how many more restaurants there seemed to be and York has never been short of them.

For all the talk of austerity there are many, many people with lots and lots of spare money.
    Austerity was largely a marketing tool with the exception of local authorities and police.

Local authorities means everything from bin collections, through schools to buses. That’s a lot. The Tories have been immensely fortunate in Labour’s choice of leaders.

Fortunately, it's paid off.

Public finances have been restored to sanity now and moderate reinvestment in public services can recommence.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,020
    kle4 said:

Anything with Tig in it can be safely put to one side I'd expect, until they are an actual party, which I am doubtful they will become.

I think that's right. (and at which point we would probably need to remove the lds too, as there would be a pact)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Tory vote only down 2% if Corbyn is replaced as Labour leader but TIG down 4% if Corbyn is replaced.

For the moment TIG is offering a home for centre left Remainers disaffected with Corbyn
    The Tory share seems very resilient. Difficult to push very high into the 40s but even harde to push into the mid to low 30s. Of course Tony Blair achieved it. :)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    I think some of the bounce will be because of revoking the passport. It has been one of the most popular moves the government has made in a long time.
  • Options
    A poll which contains not one hypothetical variable but two!

(Arguably 3 if you include the "if there was a general election tomorrow...!)

My fav
  • Options

Big news is that Burnley are first on Match of the Day tonight

Early night for me......
  • Options

A poll which contains not one hypothetical variable but two!

(Arguably 3 if you include the "if there was a general election tomorrow...!)

My fav
    I know, right, if there was a party called the Lib Dems I think we'd have heard about them before now.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

It's 6-7% down on GE17, assuming it's a GB poll. And there is margin of error.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    edited February 2019
    MaxPB said:

I think some of the bounce will be because of revoking the passport. It has been one of the most popular moves the government has made in a long time.

Do you really think people change their voting intention because of the Home Secretary's view on a young woman in a refugee camp in Syria or wherever?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2019
    notme2 said:

The Three Amigos leave the Tories and their support goes up. What does that tell us?
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    TBH I am surprised Labour only get up to 40% in that without Corbyn poll when people can imagine whatever leader and set of policies they want...

You lose some of that as soon as you stick an actual person with actual policies in the job. Also worth remembering if they are left wing then the papers aren't going to give them an easy ride, pretty soon they will be the evil communist threat.

If they aren't left wing good luck getting 40%...

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    AndyJS said:

notme2 said:

The three Amigos leave the Tories and their support goes up. What does that tell us?
    Multi party Coalitions aren’t popular.
  • Options

No wonder little Owen's arse was making buttons through the week, this polling looks like it might set a few hares running.

Front page Observer lead tomorrow references 'senior parliamentarian' ready to walk.

That suggests it could be someone from the HoL.
    If it is Charlie Falconer, I'll need to take the day off work to read the thread on here.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

TBH I am surprised Labour only get up to 40% in that without Corbyn poll when people can imagine whatever leader and set of policies they want...

You lose some of that as soon as you stick an actual person with actual policies in the job. Also worth remembering if they are left wing then the papers aren't going to give them an easy ride, pretty soon they will be the evil communist threat.

I suspect - as happened in early 2017 - that the effect of this week's news has been to shift a good chunk of the Labour vote to Don't Know. Whether it would remain there in the course of a general election campaign is another matter.
  • Options

It's all about the evil media with the lefties - apparently JC is annoyed he got asked about racism in the party by the Sky reporter in a week 8 MPs dumped him ...over race in the party.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,156
    Bloody hell - some of the takes on here are hotter than the sun
  • Options

No wonder little Owen's arse was making buttons through the week, this polling looks like it might set a few hares running.

Front page Observer lead tomorrow references 'senior parliamentarian' ready to walk.

That suggests it could be someone from the HoL.
    If it is Charlie Falconer, I'll need to take the day off work to read the thread on here.
    Lol.
  • Options

notme2 said:

Perhaps showing the early effects of a post-Brexit Britain, with more folk deciding to stay at home. instead of spending over-valued Euros. Anyone been to Ireland recently? On any reasonable comparison, everything seems about 30% over-priced compared with the U.K.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048

MaxPB said:

Do you really think people change their voting intention because of the Home Secretary's view on a young woman in a refugee camp in Syria or wherever?
    It's an odd one. I was out and about this week, and I heard it mentioned a fair few times, from a far few different 'sorts' of people (*). Most approved of Javid's actions, but even those who thought it was a bad idea had very little sympathy for her personally - I haven't been on here enough to see if that's reflected amongst our august assembly.

That makes me think that if Javid loses in court - and I'm personally rather concerned about what he did - there won't be much downside for him.

Whether you approve of it or not, it was a popular move.

(*) The sort of salt-of-the-earth workmen and women you get at 06.30 breakfasts at a northern Holiday Express ...
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549

felix said:

TGOHF said:
    Yet she's spoken of as leadership material. That is a seriously deranged comment.

She’s saying it because she wants to be leader. She’ll need Cult votes to succeed.

Exactly. She's positioning herself cleverly, to harvest the lunatic fringe (i.e. most Labour members) and become the leader after Jezbollah. Then she will tack right to win an election.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I suspect - as happened in early 2017 - that the effect of this week's news has been to shift a good chunk of the Labour vote to Don't Know. Whether it would remain there in the course of a general election campaign is another matter.
    Hope springs eternal....never mind the Scottish Labour surge will surely pull JC over the line.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    MaxPB said:

I think you confuse popular with populist.

Its a disasterous policy for Britain and this government. People may leave the party next week citing it.

It’s a disaster on the grounds of security, on keeping Britons safe and our communities secure.

It’s a policy oblivious to where the thousands of ISIS jihadi are; they are at the other end of a rowing boat.

We are in a rowing boat out upon lake of space and time. From our lofty dry end of the boat, The other end of the rowing boat, where the water comes in and there’s a bit of chaos is nothing to do with us, is it?
  • Options
    dots said:

MaxPB said:

Its a disasterous policy for Britain and this government. People may leave the party next week citing it.

It’s a disaster on the grounds of security, on keeping Britons safe and our communities secure.

It’s a policy oblivious to where the thousands of ISIS jihadi are; they are at the other end of a rowing boat.

We are in a rowing boat out upon lake of space and time. From our lofty dry end of the boat, The other end of the rowing boat, where the water comes in and there’s a bit of chaos is nothing to do with us, is it?
    Most people, rightly or wrongly, will be perplexed as to why bringing these allegedly dangerous people back to the UK is a good idea.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    edited February 2019
    justin124 said:

They ain’t going to be coming out for a council election in ten weeks time..
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Yep, look at all the other parties it could go to.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Bloody hell - some of the takes on here are hotter than the sun

It's the only way to experience politics. Immediately and rashly.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    edited February 2019
    felix said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

The Tory share seems very resilient. Difficult to push very high into the 40s but even harde to push into the mid to low 30s. Of course Tony Blair achieved it. :)

Ed Miliband achieved it !
  • Options
    justin124 said:

That seemed to be the case with at least one of the polls we had previously, with don't knows growing.

A good source of Labour votes last time.
  • Options
    Sigh, I was hoping for some juicy defections for the Sunday papers.
  • Options
    felix said:

It's all about the evil media with the lefties - apparently JC is annoyed he got asked about racism in the party by the Sky reporter in a week 8 MPs dumped him ...over race in the party.
    The RW press aren't going to give a Labour leader an easy ride unless she/he is quite centrist, if you feel that is a crazy or untrue statement then fair enough I don't think it is too outlandish.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

justin124 said:

They ain’t going to be coming out for a council election in ten weeks time..
    Unless it happened to coincide with a General Election!
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    dots said:

MaxPB said:

Go out on your local social housing estate and say that ISIS followers are going to be relocated there whilst they undergo re-education.

What arguments are you going to make to appease the locals?

I support bring back these people that are british citizens as long as they are not dumped in social deprived areas. Lets re house them in all those posh, middle class areas.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

felix said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Ed Miliband achieved it !
    Not much good when you stil come second. Of course JC and the cult think coming second is a win.
  • Options

felix said:

The RW press aren't going to give a Labour leader an easy ride unless she/he is quite centrist, if you feel that is a crazy or untrue statement then fair enough I don't think it is too outlandish.
    Of course you don't.
  • Options
    AnGofAnGof Posts: 28
    dots said:

MaxPB said:

I'm sorry there are people going to change their party over this woman and how the home secretary reacted?

Now while I won't agree with the action personally most people think the woman is scum and got what she deserved and certainly I wouldn't see many if any leaving the tories in disgust
  • Options

notme2 said:

Perhaps showing the early effects of a post-Brexit Britain, with more folk deciding to stay at home. instead of spending over-valued Euros. Anyone been to Ireland recently? On any reasonable comparison, everything seems about 30% over-priced compared with the U.K.
    I doubt York gets many UK tourists beyond those within an hour's drive or train ride away.

But there's always plenty of Americans, East Asians and indeed other Europeans there.

I'm not sure that British people always appreciate the tourist attractions their own country has.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

dots said:

MaxPB said:

Most people, rightly or wrongly, will be perplexed as to why bringing these allegedly dangerous people back to the UK is a good idea.
    A Home Secretary who allows such people to return will be in a difficult position if they subsequently committed a terrorist act in this country.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

It's 6-7% down on GE17, assuming it's a GB poll. And there is margin of error.
    Weren't we comparing the two polls?
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    edited February 2019
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Is this why TIG have not formed a party? As long as polls like this they can make the argument of get rid of Corbyn and we will rejoin and then Labour have a chance of winning again. The withdrawal method applied to politics.

I think that is right. The Labour TIGgers are hoping to rejoin. That is why there is no TIG party.

The 3 Tory TIGgers have been suckered.
    Allen, at least, seems to be very disgusted with the Tories on many things, I doubt she would be concerned if Tig falls apart and she cannot go back. The other two I do not know, but frankly most of the splitters seem keen to stress they are still Labour/Tory at heart it is the others who have changed, so I don't think they are that committed necessarily to a new project, if it achieves its aim of influencing the others to prevent Brexit.
    I wonder how they will react if Corbyn is finally, grudgingly persuaded to back a 2nd vote.

I don't expect this to happen, he is too old and stubborn, but it is now possible.
    A weeks a long time in politics Sean Thomas, care to re write this one?

“As I see it there are four main factions in the Commons:

Tory ERG-ers: lunatic hooligans who seem hellbent on an impossible Brexit to the extent of sabotaging Brexit
    Tory Remainers and loyalists: pathetic bunch of bed-wetters who are frightened of Jacob Rees Mogg and also incapable of organising a handjob in Bangkok
    Labour Remainers: helpless, flailing cowards, who elected a leader they all loathe
    Labour Corbynites: sinister Trots, eerie anti-Semites, and active traitors

Apart from them we have smaller factions: e.g. insane Protestant Ulster ranters, Catholic UIster revolutionaries who refuse to take their seats, a significant number of Scots and Welsh who want to destroy the country, and the Lib Dems, who can't remember why they exist.“
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090
    Corbyn seems to be arguing that all the problems stem from the creation of Israel...

https://twitter.com/nudderingnudnik/status/748521889853804544?s=21
  • Options
    edited February 2019

notme2 said:

I doubt York gets many UK tourists beyond those within an hour's drive or train ride away.

But there's always plenty of Americans, East Asians and indeed other Europeans there.

I'm not sure that British people always appreciate the tourist attractions their own country has.
    There's a lot of snobbery around where people think anywhere more than an hour's drive away from wherever they happen to live isn't worth visiting. Also, in my experience the places where tourists don't go are usually more interesting than the places they do.
  • Options
    Can I confess to being surprised how many people showed up for the Tommy Robinson protest? For once, it far exceeded the counter protesters, which often seems the case in these situations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-47335414
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Can I confess to being surprised how many people showed up for the Tommy Robinson protest? For once, it far exceeded the counter protesters, which often seems the case in these situations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-47335414

UKIP seems to pretty much be the Tommy Robinson party now, their protests related to Tommy tend to be far more popular than anything they try to do regarding Brexit.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Not sure Tory HQ will be happy if polling "without Corbyn as leader" becomes a regular thing. People might begin to twig the bleeding obvious.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    dots said:

MaxPB said:

What are you banging on about. That's literally a whole load of words to say absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

notme2 said:

It's a bit smug for my liking. I prefer down to earth places like Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, Newcastle, etc.
    Take the road to Hull!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    justin124 said:

There was no TIG in 2017 and many Remainers then mistakenly hoped voting for Corbyn Labour would stop Brexit, they will not repeat that mistake
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    AndyJS said:

notme2 said:

The Three Amigos leave the Tories and their support goes up. What does that tell us?
    As I said at the time, it tells you that people like me - in Sarah Wollaston's constitunecy of Totnes - have gone from 0/10 to voting Tory to maybe 6/10. Polling bounce, as I said on the day....
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Not sure Tory HQ will be happy if polling "without Corbyn as leader" becomes a regular thing. People might begin to twig the bleeding obvious.

The Cult won't
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Cripes, it was like England had never even heard of the concept of pick and go rugby. Suprised them about as much as when Italy decided to not contest rucks.

Will Eddie have a winge and get the laws changed again?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Cripes, it was like England had never even heard of the concept of pick and go rugby. Suprised them about as much as when Italy decided to not contest rucks.

Will Eddie have a winge and get the laws changed again?

There was a lot of aimless kicking today.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828

AndyJS said:

notme2 said:

As I said at the time, it tells you that people like me - in Sarah Wollaston's constitunecy of Totnes - have gone from 0/10 to voting Tory to maybe 6/10. Polling bounce, as I said on the day....
    If Con can get rid of a few more Remoaners next week they might hit 45%? :D
  • Options
    A
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

notme2 said:

If Con can get rid of a few more Remoaners next week they might hit 45%? :D
    “Can do attitude” popular shock.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

There was no TIG in 2017 and many Remainers then mistakenly hoped voting for Corbyn Labour would stop Brexit, they will not repeat that mistake
    There would be no TIG at an election held within the next three months either. Labour's strong performance in 2017 had very little to do with Brexit but rather Corbyn's success in raising issues which voters found much more directly relevant to their daily lives.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

There would be no TIG at an election held within the next three months either. Labour's strong performance in 2017 had very little to do with Brexit but rather Corbyn's success in raising issues which voters found much more directly relevant to their daily lives.
    That was then. This is now. Corbyn is toxic
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

I would not be so sure, especially if they do a pact with the LDs.

Labour gets to 25 to 35% on a pure anti austerity, left-wing message. Corbyn got to 40% due to the anti Brexit vote. Labour is back to 32% with Opinium tonight as many of those diehard Remainers have gone to TIG who are now polling 6%
  • Options

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Two years ago you would have said likewise. Remember the Copeland by election in late February 2017?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Labour gets to 25 to 35% on a pure anti austerity, left-wing message. Corbyn got to 40% due to the anti Brexit vote. Labour is back to 32% with Opinium tonight as many of those diehard Remainers have gone to TIG who are now polling 6%
    TIG do not exist as a registered political party so the polling figures remain purely hypothetical. Without their inclusion in the Opinium poll Labour would poll circa 35%/36%.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Thought it was about my team yet again......
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Two years ago you would have said likewise. Remember the Copeland by election in late February 2017?
    Not interested in the past. Everything has changed and Corbyn has been exposed and is toxic for labour

Labour's only hope is to get rid of Corbyn and his anti semitic marxist cabal or split
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

TIG do not exist as a registered political party so the polling figures remain purely hypothetical. Without their inclusion in the Opinium poll Labour would poll circa 35%/36%.
    Still below their 2017 vote and TIG will almost certainly stand candidates at the next general election
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    The big news tonight is that Charlie Falconer has not detected.

Yet.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

{Pokémon Meme}
    A wild TIG appeared !

TIG used SPLIT !

It's super effective !

LABOUR used BACKLASH !

It hurt itself in its confusion !
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090
    _Anazina_ said:

Yet.

Not detected any antisemitism?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    _Anazina_ said:

Yet.

Please explain the Falconer meme, I was puzzled the first time
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Not interested in the past. Everything has changed and Corbyn has been exposed and is toxic for labour

Labour's only hope is to get rid of Corbyn and his anti semitic marxist cabal or split
    I am surprised to hear you talk in those terms. The present is the product of the past and we can hopefully learn from it. Dismissing the very recent past in that way rather conveys a sense of wishing to ignore facts which have proved unpalatable.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yet people still complain that we can’t have a Catholic monarch. No brainer innit.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

I am surprised to hear you talk in those terms. The present is the product of the past and we can hopefully learn from it. Dismissing the very recent past in that way rather conveys a sense of wishing to ignore facts which have proved unpalatable.
    Bit like you dismissing 9 Labour MPs leaving the party.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Labour members had a chance to get rid of him not that long ago but declined the opportunity.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Still below their 2017 vote and TIG will almost certainly stand candidates at the next general election
    Maybe they will but at the moment they have no policies , no candidates and no organisational infrastructure. It could well end up much more like Dick Taverne's Democratic Labour in the 1974 elections.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

People have been banging on about Corbyn being toxic for a while, if having a toxic leader see's us achieve our greatest increase in share of the vote since WW2 I think we definitely need a toxic leader if we want to stand a chance electorally.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

People have been banging on about Corbyn being toxic for a while, if having a toxic leader see's us achieve our greatest increase in share of the vote since WW2 I think we definitely need a toxic leader if we want to stand a chance electorally.
    You are living in the past. This is now and he has been found out
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Bit like you dismissing 9 Labour MPs leaving the party.
    But I recall the 1981 launch of the SDP and the eventual defection of over 25 Labour MPs. Moreover, hypothetical polls for the SDP in March/April 1981 put them above 30% - far higher than anything we have seen tonight.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

You live in the past if you do not accept change
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Labour members had a chance to get rid of him not that long ago but declined the opportunity.
    Not sure our leader is supposed to appeal to Conservative members really, If the Conservatives kept changing leader until they found one acceptable (but I still wouldn't vote for) to me then that sounds great.... to me.

Not sure it is really doing much for the Tories electorally though.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Not sure our leader is supposed to appeal to Conservative members really, If the Conservatives kept changing leader until they found one acceptable (but I still wouldn't vote for) to me then that sounds great.... to me.

You need to attract conservative voters to gain office
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited February 2019

AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Problem is that Corbyn has never appealed to a sizeable chunk of Labour members. About one third at the last count. But you would not know that from his rhetoric. He believes his own hype. He makes no effort to reach out. His cult denounce any criticism as Blairite and close their ears. In short he is his own worst enemy.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

You live in the past if you do not accept change
    That is totally different from not being interested in the past. 'Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it!'. Not very conservative either.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

We did, your particular vote isn't going to go to a left wing Labour party so pleasing you, in much the same way the Conservative party pleasing me, is a complete waste.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Scott_P said:
    Blimey! Well that is quite the newsworthy and remarkable event.
    Yes, a Mail on Sunday story which looks interesting.
  • Options
    Not sure which polling organisation did the research but according to this report people support Javid on ISIS by 78% to 15%.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/23/shamima-begum-product-country-no-longer-believes/
  • Options

AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

We did, your particular vote isn't going to go to a left wing Labour party so pleasing you, in much the same way the Conservative party pleasing me, is a complete waste.
    My vote could go to TIGs if we leave with no deal.

However, you miss the point - labour needs conservative leaning voters to gain office
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Not sure which polling organisation did the research but according to this report people support Javid on ISIS by 78% to 15%.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/23/shamima-begum-product-country-no-longer-believes/

And over 560,000 have signed the parliamentary e petition to ban all Isis members from returning to the UK
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

I suspect - as happened in early 2017 - that the effect of this week's news has been to shift a good chunk of the Labour vote to Don't Know. Whether it would remain there in the course of a general election matter.

However, you miss the point - labour needs conservative leaning voters to gain office
    Not true. Corbyn got plenty enough votes to win last time. If you stayed at home that would have been enough.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

And over 560,000 have signed the parliamentary e petition to ban all Isis members from returning to the UK
    Yes, although it's obviously only a tiny percentage of the electorate so you have to take it with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

You think Ms Soubry and Chris Leslie could deliver the radical economic policies that a minimal Brexit would require ?

It’s a view.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    'On the brink of' eh? Can only be Brexit that will tip them over I guess, if it were anti-semitism there was no time like last week.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

Is this why TIG have not formed a party? As long as polls like this they can make the argument of get rid of Corbyn and we will rejoin and then Labour have a chance of winning again. The withdrawal method applied to politics.

I think that is right. The Labour TIGgers are hoping to rejoin. That is why there is no TIG party.

The 3 Tory TIGgers have been suckered.
    Allen, at least, seems to be very disgusted with the Tories on many things, I doubt she would be concerned if Tig falls apart and she cannot go back. The other two I do not know, but frankly most of the splitters seem keen to stress they are still Labour/Tory at heart it is the others who have changed, so I don't think they are that committed necessarily to a new project, if it achieves its aim of influencing the others to prevent Brexit.
    My prediction on the night they left was Allen/Wollaston would join the LivDems and Soubry would become a Tory peer. I see no reason to change
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

The biggest increase thing is definitely noteworthy as it was impressive and unexpected, but it's little different to people praising May for getting such a high share, it didn't matter because he didn't win and she didn't get a majority respectively, and more to the point plenty of others never had the chance to see such a big increase because they didn't come from a lower point (though I'm sure plenty tried and failed).

It isn't as amazing a defence point as Corbyn fans think it is, even though he did much better than most people thought.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

_Anazina_ said:

Yet.

Please explain the Falconer meme, I was puzzled the first time
    Stems back to when Corbyn faced a barrel of resignations as I recall. Falconer did so, but it was reported again as if were new, I seem to recall. So each time it was treated as if it were earth shattering.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Allen and Woolaston were never in the correct party.

Soubry was until her loyalty to the EU trumped all else.
This discussion has been closed.