Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Newport West – the first electoral test for the TIGers?

Comments

• Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    edited February 2019
    Well 'Tiggers' has made Sky News (Kate Burley). Friends, we have gone mainstream!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I have seen that referenced, but not actually heard anyone say it. Got a citation?

It makes no sense.

This is where it came from

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1097272428395417600
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

However, the original 7 Labour MPs who defected on Monday appeared to indicate they had no intention of recontesting their seats next time.

I have seen that referenced, but not actually heard anyone say it. Got a citation?

It makes no sense.
    I cannot offer a direct quote for that but did read the intention was to target marginal seats.
  • Options
    Easy to see why Labour voters would be attracted to TIGers - revulsion at antisemitism and misogyny and the bullying of Corbynista trolls. Easy to see the appeal of the TIGers to Remainers although less easy to see why the TIGers would appeal rather when the LibDems dont.

Less easy to see any coherent policy platform, party structure or, for all the talk, what exactly what they mean by “a new way of doing things”. It just seems like an exercise in protest politics to me. Whatever appeal that may have, it can only be short term.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Brom said:

Scott_P said:
    Is Ian Dunt never not angry? Most Tories seem pretty happy today. I guess they're not the right people.
    I am content with these developments. In some circumstances I could support TIGs but while brexit is the main cause of the conservative defections, the full on attack on Corbyn, his anti semitism and his hard left inner circle, is likely to damage labour and especially his group far more
    I had you down a "PB Tory most likely to join the Tiggers".
    Me too. If they're doing what he likes, why won't he sign up?
    I will not join a remain only group but depending on how brexit moves forward and policy detail from them I could be interested. I would join if ERG took us to no deal
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Sean_F said:

I don't think Tigger is a serious name for a party! It sounds like something out of whinny the poo.

Something more like the British European Peoples party would be better!

I am more with the independents anyway than the Tories at the moment. I definitely don't like Corbyn. I can see NO Deal Brexit happening under the Tories and the damage it will do to the economy gathering pace.

Their campaign slogan would be "The wonderful thing about Tiggers, is that Tiggers are wonderful things."

Come to think of it, it's just as well they don't call themselves New Independent Group.
    Until after the next election, when Dr Sarah Wollaston is singing

"But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
    Is I'm the only one...."

Ironically she couldn’t be in a group of one
  • Options
    Didn't Newport vote to Leave? Hardly seems like it is fertile territory for the Tiggers?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited February 2019
    Sandpit said:

Following Labour's selection of a Momentumite, the Tiggers should put up a high-profile local candidate for Newcastle super-mayor. So Ant or Dec?

Alan Shearer?
    No... the shaven head look is so last year.. even if you are sans cheveux.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Easy to see why Labour voters would be attracted to TIGers - revulsion at antisemitism and misogyny and the bullying of Corbynista trolls. Easy to see the appeal of the TIGers to Remainers although less easy to see why the TIGers would appeal rather when the LibDems dont.

Less easy to see any coherent policy platform, party structure or, for all the talk, what exactly what they mean by “a new way of doing things”. It just seems like an exercise in protest politics to me. Whatever appeal that may have, it can only be short term.

Libdems blew their protest potential,when they became coalition partners.

I think they would do well to ape Labour and vote at conference, and I also think some sort of tie up with the Libdems would be of benefit. There is still a huge infrastructure associated with the Libdems, and an infusions of protest and talent may be just what they need.
  • Options
    DonTsInferno_DonTsInferno_ Posts: 108
    edited February 2019

Where does this new venture leave Corbynites who thought he was a Remainer? Were they really Blairites who liked to show off their hard left pretentions all along?
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Who could have predicted that ?

Everyone except The Saj, apparently
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Further to the comments about the Tiggers having a plan: there is no doubt that a lot of discussions have taken place over the last few months. Remember the time when Vince Cable missed an important vote and revealed that he had been in an important meeting about the Parliamentary estate? My understanding is that these discussions have included targeting certain constituencies which have Brexit supporting Conservative MPs and specifically reserving a number of Lib Dem target seats. No doubt this will become apparent in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Didn't Newport vote to Leave? Hardly seems like it is fertile territory for the Tiggers?

Well, in a six-way election, they might only need mid-twenties percent to win, and 44% of Newporters voted Remain.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Why should anyone be surprised by that? She is our problem, our citizen, radicalised in our country. Why the hell should Bangladesh be expected to take responsibility for her? Javid should stop this idiocy now and reinstate her citizenship. Then she should be allowed back into the UK and dealt with properly under our law.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

Sandpit said:

Following Labour's selection of a Momentumite, the Tiggers should put up a high-profile local candidate for Newcastle super-mayor. So Ant or Dec?

Alan Shearer?
    Only room for one bald head in the Tigger line-up.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    There's a bloody surprise.

Worth reading back the thread from last night.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    BREXIT....

tick
    tock
    tick
    tock
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Alan Shearer?
    Umunna or Gapes?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Why should anyone be surprised by that? She is our problem, our citizen, radicalised in our country. Why the hell should Bangladesh be expected to take responsibility for her? Javid should stop this idiocy now and reinstate her citizenship. Then she should be allowed back into the UK and dealt with properly under our law.
    Quite right. As usual, the voice of intelligence and reason from the thinking man's right-winger.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    _Anazina_ said:

Well 'Tiggers' has made Sky News (Kate Burley). Friends, we have gone mainstream!

If you are being modest, all credit to you, but I believe it was, specifically, you who coined that? 'We' just bounced onto the bandwagon.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,236
    algarkirk said:

I don't think we'll ever know what plan B is because TMs deal will go through. It goes through partly because of the risk of 'no deal'. If I am wrong - usually am - we won't know what plan B is until after the 59th minute of the 11th hour, at which point TM will tell us. No-one will know till then.

You might usually be wrong (aren't we all) but in this case I think you are right on both points. Her deal is likely to going through and Plan B will only be known on the off chance that it doesn't.

The plan that I expect to be unveiled in that event - to much gnashing of teeth which will be difficult to hear due to the howls of anguish and derision - is a snap general election.

Which would not be great for the Tiggers. Or would it? I guess it depends.
  • Options

Newport West est. 54% Leave - basically in line with the country. Not the most fertile ground but the YouGov polling showed 11% of Leavers supporting TIG.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Scott_P said:
    If you're not fighting one another then you might as well officially join.

Brom said:

Just to go back to some posts I did on Monday. I'm pretty sure we can agree no one is talking about Honda anymore!

I have a feeling families in Swindon probably are...Robert Buckland and Justin Tomlinson are going to be lucky to keep their seats.
    Could well be. Whether it's fair to get blamed or not is somethi g else but let's not forget the 27% swing that saw the lds take Redcar when the steel plant was first shuttered

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Another diplomatic blunder from Jeremy Hunt.

https://twitter.com/hhesterm/status/1098204224175984641
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    IanB2 said:

Brom said:

Scott_P said:
    Is Ian Dunt never not angry? Most Tories seem pretty happy today. I guess they're not the right people.
    I am content with these developments. In some circumstances I could support TIGs but while brexit is the main cause of the conservative defections, the full on attack on Corbyn, his anti semitism and his hard left inner circle, is likely to damage labour and especially his group far more
    I had you down a "PB Tory most likely to join the Tiggers".
    Me too. If they're doing what he likes, why won't he sign up?
    Tribalism? It's not always full blooded.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Called it last night.

Shamima Begum will not be allowed here, says Bangladesh.

Minister of foreign affairs insists 19-year-old does not have dual citizenship

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/20/rights-of-shamima-begums-son-not-affected-says-javid?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

That's interesting, but according to the article his basis for saying she doesn't have Bangladeshi citizenship is that she's never applied for it.

Whereas the relevant statute, cited in this SIAC decision - http://siac.decisions.tribunals.gov.uk/Documents/outcomes/documents/G3 v SSHD 15.12.17.pdf - says:
    "Subject to the provisions of section 3 a person born after the
    commencement of this Act, shall be a citizen of Bangladesh by
    descent if his father or mother is a citizen of Bangladesh at the time
    of his birth"

Nothing about having to apply for citizenship.

On the other hand, a subsequent presidential order says that in case of doubt the Bangladeshi government's decision is final, so if they stick to that line it may be awkward for Javid.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Who could have predicted that ?

Everyone except The Saj, apparently
    There should be a new law that ministers need to run all their knee-jerk initiatives past the pb massive so we can point out any obvious flaws. Perhaps it could be an amendment to Theresa May's deal: everything else is.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,292
    edited February 2019
    Defector MP Heidi Allen Says She Wants To 'Destroy The Tories' – The Party She Just Quit

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/defector-mp-heidi-allen-says-she-wants-to-destroy-the-tory-party-she-just-quit_uk_5c6d8a8de4b0e37a1ed3ffce?ncid=tweetlnkukhpmg00000001

She also said former ministers Phillip Lee and Justine Greening could “probably, possible, maybe” soon follow her,
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    _Anazina_ said:

Scott_P said:
    Quite right. As usual, the voice of intelligence and reason from the thinking man's right-winger.
    Yes, it's so intelligent and reasonable to put the country in even greater danger than it's already in. Bravo!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Not looking good for Javid but just as our gov can be wrong do can theirs.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    A propros of nothing in particular, I'm on the Metrolink home. The driver has just interrupted the journey to announce his hope that we all had a good day at work, rejoice at the fact that it's now light for the journey home, and enthuse about the weather for the weekend, all in a comedy Mancunian accent. Has cheered me up tremendously.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

Good job England bat deep....going to need it!

They will need a miracle. The Windies should be something like 380. England's inability to take wickets in the middle overs is the one vulnerability of a very good side.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Scott_P said:

It makes no sense.

Thanks. So nothing official.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Alan Shearer?
    Umunna or Gapes?
    It rules out poor old Vince too!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Not looking good for Javid but just as our gov can be wrong do can theirs.
    Lord Carlile has just said it could take two years of court appeals and she will remain where she is during this time
  • Options
    Chris said:

Called it last night.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/20/rights-of-shamima-begums-son-not-affected-says-javid?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

That's interesting, but according to the article his basis for saying she doesn't have Bangladeshi citizenship is that she's never applied for it.

Whereas the relevant statute, cited in this SIAC decision - http://siac.decisions.tribunals.gov.uk/Documents/outcomes/documents/G3 v SSHD 15.12.17.pdf - says:
    of his birth"

On the other hand, a subsequent presidential order says that in case of doubt the Bangladeshi government's decision is final, so if they stick to that line it may be awkward for Javid.
    You miss out a very important piece of that act.

"Provided that if the father or mother of such person is a citizen of Bangladesh by descent only, that person shall not be a citizen of Bangladesh by virtue of this section unless –

(a) that person’s birth having occurred in a country outside Bangladesh the birth is registered at a Bangladesh Consulate or Mission in that country, or where there is no Bangladesh Consulate or Mission in that country, at the prescribed Consulate or Mission or at a Bangladesh Consulate or Mission in the country nearest to that country"

So if the parents did not register the birth at the Bangladeshi Consulate or Mission then the person is NOT a Bangladeshi citizen.

Any odds on the parents having registered the birth?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Classic reply:
    "You no longer represent the values of the Labour Party.

You are a fraud who needs to join the Funny Tinge party as soon as possible.

Your behaviour towards Labour and Jeremy Corbyn has been a disgrace and your credibility only now exists with the Israeli apologists.

Leave now"

Be careful for what you wish for.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2019
    There is a major local issue in Newport West that will attract some single issue candidates.

It is a trap for all candidates, not just the tiggers.

The Welsh Govt has for what seems like a lifetime been ruminating on a 1.4 billion upgrade to the M4 Brynglas Tunnel just west of Newport.

The tunnel has huge business cheerleaders (WelshOwl is in favour), and has vigorous local opponents on environmental and financial grounds (I'm against it).

It was said that Carwyn had decided to push ahead despite opposition and an announcement was finally expected in Dec 2018. When Mark Drakeford took over, I think it was pushed back for more review.

Basically, like an extra terminal for Heathrow, it is a difficult issue to dodge locally, and whatever you choose will lose you a tonne of votes.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

<
    Yes but she did say to avoid a no deal it is the deal or remain.

It is the first time I have heard her actually say an option is to stay in the European Union

Right, but she's been very clear that her policy is to leave the EU on March 29th. She'd prefer to do so with a deal, but she's never said she won't leave without one if MPs continue to refuse to vote for a deal - and she still hasn't. She's used no Brexit as an alternative before.
    I don't know that she would prefer to leave with no deal over remain, but I'm sure she thinks that that is the right thing to do, despite the potential consequences, in order to uphold the referendum vote, and that she would reluctantly do so if she could. But I'm not sure she believes that she could actually have the country leave without a deal without a parliamentary coup against her, or the Tory party fracturing, or both, or worse. I doubt many members of the Defence Staff are ardent Remainers, but I suspect that they are very firmly against a catastrophic no deal exit.

The relevant parts of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act, still, unless legislation.gov.uk is not up to date on the matter, have not been commenced. I would have thought that if May really wanted to force a choice between deal or no-deal, she would have commenced the Act so that it really is the law of the land that the UK leaves the European Union on March 29th. With the EUWA uncommenced, it is not.

We have most likely run out of Parliamentary time now without an A50 extension to either accept and enact the WA (whether amended or not) or legislate to try and mitigate a no-deal exit. I think May believes that she can get an A50 extension to enact the WA or legislate for a second refendum (I'm not so sure she could get either myself) but not to buy more time for mitigation. As it stands, until the EUWA is commenced, the only options that exist right now are unmitigated crash out or remain. It is in May's power to remove remain as an option by commencing the Act. That she has not yet done so is very significant I feel.
  • Options
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The TIGs need one more defection to have more MPs than the LDs.
  • Options
    As someone who just said England couldn't take wickets in the middle overs I am claiming these.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    IanB2 said:

Defector MP Heidi Allen Says She Wants To 'Destroy The Tories' – The Party She Just Quit

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/defector-mp-heidi-allen-says-she-wants-to-destroy-the-tory-party-she-just-quit_uk_5c6d8a8de4b0e37a1ed3ffce?ncid=tweetlnkukhpmg00000001

She also said former ministers Phillip Lee and Justine Greening could “probably, possible, maybe” soon follow her,

Except she said nothing of the sort re destroying the Tory party.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    AndyJS said:

The TIGs need one more defection to have more MPs than the LDs.

It wouldn't take many defections for the Tiggers to have more Lib Dems than the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    justin124 said:

The SDP defectors made a serious miscalculation back in 1981 by failing to resign their seats to force by elections at a time the new party enjoyed great momentum and was surging in the polls. They also failed to contest the 1981 Local Elections. It is likely that most of the defectors would have retained their seats and been much better placed to win again in 1983. A late defector - Bruce Douglas-Mann - insisted on resubmitting himself to his electors in Mitcham & Morden, but his campaign was effectively torpedoed by the Falklands Conflict in May 1982. Had it not been for that sudden crisis, he almost certainly would have won.
    Success in such by elections would also boost the party's claim for reasonable campaign coverage by the Broadcasters - and potential inclusion in Debates etc.However, the original 7 Labour MPs who defected on Monday appeared to indicate they had no intention of recontesting their seats next time.

I think that the situation is rather different today compared to the 1980s. For starters the Government has no overall majority. As a grouping of eleven and rising they have more influence as MPs in a hung parliament than they would have contesting local by-elections. I think at least two of the Labour defectors face very big mountains to climb in terms of winning the seat such as Liverpool Wavertree or Nottingham East. So strategically why would an MP give up their seat for a by-election which might strengthen the Man (Corbyn) that they say is unfit to be PM?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

IanB2 said:

Allen said that if a new party formed out of The Independent Group is successful, then “there won’t be a Tory Party to go back to”
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,905
    edited February 2019

There is a major local issue in Newport West that will attract some single issue candidates.

It is a trap for all candidates, not just the tiggers.

The Welsh Govt has for what seems like a lifetime been ruminating on a 1.4 billion upgrade to the M4 Brynglas Tunnel just west of Newport.

The tunnel has huge business cheerleaders (WelshOwl is in favour), and has vigorous local opponents on environmental and financial grounds (I'm against it).

It was said that Carwyn had decided to push ahead despite opposition and an announcement was finally expected in Dec 2018. When Mark Drakeford took over, I think it was pushed back for more review.

Basically, like an extra terminal for Heathrow, it is a difficult issue to dodge locally, and whatever you choose will lose you a tonne of votes.

Interesting background. Those bloody tunnels have been a constant source of traffic jams since the Second Severn Crossing opened in about 1995, they should have fixed them at the same time - two decades ago!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nico67 said:

IanB2 said:

Allen said that if a new party formed out of The Independent Group is successful, then “there won’t be a Tory Party to go back to”
    It is misleading when paraphrasing ends up in quote marks in the headline though.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,987
    edited February 2019

Chris said:

Called it last night.

of his birth"

"Provided that if the father or mother of such person is a citizen of Bangladesh by descent only, that person shall not be a citizen of Bangladesh by virtue of this section unless –

(a) that person’s birth having occurred in a country outside Bangladesh the birth is registered at a Bangladesh Consulate or Mission in that country, or where there is no Bangladesh Consulate or Mission in that country, at the prescribed Consulate or Mission or at a Bangladesh Consulate or Mission in the country nearest to that country"

So if the parents did not register the birth at the Bangladeshi Consulate or Mission then the person is NOT a Bangladeshi citizen.

Zero, if you are safely sat in the UK never planning to return to Bangladeshi why would you.

It really doesn't look good for Sajid once you get away from the mob. He seems to have made assumption regarding Dual Citizenship options without checking them and has shown that it is (in theory) possible to kick out any Irish grandchild or Jew without appeal.
  • Options
    On topic but some light relief. The funniest comments I have seen this afternoon are from lots of irate Tories on social media saying the local party in Broxtowe should deselect Soubry. I am not sure they quite get this defection thing yet.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

Slightly creepy website which, each type you refresh the page, creates a photo of someone who doesn't exist and never has existed using composite images.

https://thispersondoesnotexist.com
  • Options

On topic but some light relief. The funniest comments I have seen this afternoon are from lots of irate Tories on social media saying the local party in Broxtowe should deselect Soubry. I am not sure they quite get this defection thing yet.

Funny
  • Options

Typical Tories; even when they get what they want, they aren't happy.
  • Options

Funny
    How do you know they really are Tories>?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

Chris said:

Called it last night.

of his birth"

The Bangladesh government are not happy. She is not their citizen and won't be getting it they have confirmed.
    What's more the heard about it off TV!
  • Options

Funny
    I expect they are ukippers. To be fair I would have campaigned for Anna before today. We need a broad church party
  • Options

Chris said:

Called it last night.

of his birth"

Ah, but that only applies where the father or mother through whom the child has citizenship by descent is themselves a citizen by descent only.

I've not really been following it closely, but is the mother perhaps a citizen by birth rather than descent? Were that the case, the registration bit doesn't apply.
  • Options

Funny
    I expect they are ukippers. To be fair I would have campaigned for Anna before today. We need a broad church party
    Jump and you'll have one.
  • Options

Chris said:

Called it last night.

of his birth"

The first paragraph is talking about cases where the Mother or Father are only citizens by descent isn’t it?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Funny
    Jump and you'll have one.
    Not yet (yet again !!)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Chris said:

Called it last night.

of his birth"

Reportedly both her parents are from Bangladesh, and therefore not Bangladeshi citizens "by descent only". Unless that's incorrect, what you've quoted is irrelevant.
  • Options
    CNN suggesting Mueller may deliver report next week.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Chris said:

Called it last night.

of his birth"

Given that Bangladesh clearly don't want her, I think we say that even if they had, any record of that will have been "lost"...

(I've been to Bangladesh plenty of times - I'm not unfairly maligning them!)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    Degsy gone again, I see.
  • Options

Degsy gone again, I see.

Suspended not gone yet !!!
  • Options

Chris said:

Called it last night.

of his birth"

Ah, but that only applies where the father or mother through whom the child has citizenship by descent is themselves a citizen by descent only.

I've not really been following it closely, but is the mother perhaps a citizen by birth rather than descent? Were that the case, the registration bit doesn't apply.
    Surely the issue here is that we are making assumptions again which may or may not be right. Given that both parents are in the UK is it not possible that they had UK citizenship at the time of Shamima's birth and had given up their Bangladesh citizenship.

I think just about the only thing we can say is that it seems the assumption that Shamima has active dual citizenship may not be correct which means Sajid may have made her stateless (which isn't permitted) and even if he hasn't the logic used is rather scary for a lot of people.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Called it last night.

of his birth"

Reportedly both her parents are from Bangladesh, and therefore not Bangladeshi citizens "by descent only". Unless that's incorrect, what you've quoted is irrelevant.
    That’s how I read it too, though I must say I don’t see why they should have to take her.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Called it last night.

of his birth"

That’s how I read it too, though I must say I don’t see why they should have to take her.
    If our action is legal then they may not have a choice, which is one reason they would be understandably annoyed.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,141
    edited February 2019
    dr_spyn said:
    Antisemitic tweet I believe.

'first as tragedy, then as farce'
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Chris said:

Called it last night.

of his birth"

The Bangladesh government are not happy. She is not their citizen and won't be getting it they have confirmed.
    What's more the heard about it off TV!
    To be fair, so did I. The chip shop telly was showing Sky News.

Also Bangladesh is abroad, like Germany and China which Javid's Cabinet colleagues are also having trouble with.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

"Holy Heartbreak, Batman!" :(
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T

Slightly creepy website which, each type you refresh the page, creates a photo of someone who doesn't exist and never has existed using composite images.

https://thispersondoesnotexist.com

I'm sure I posted a link to it on Monday. Now I know how it works it's less scary than it could be it uses composites to combine real photos into fake people so while the photos are good, it doesn't seem to be able to create a second photo of the same "person" in a different position.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

<
    Yes but she did say to avoid a no deal it is the deal or remain.

It is the first time I have heard her actually say an option is to stay in the European Union

Right, but she's been very clear that her policy is to leave the EU on March 29th. She'd prefer to do so with a deal, but she's never said she won't leave without one if MPs continue to refuse to vote for a deal - and she still hasn't. She's used no Brexit as an alternative before.
    I don't know that she would prefer to leave with no deal over remain, but I'm sure she thinks that that is the right thing to do, despite the potential consequences, in order to uphold the referendum vote, and that she would reluctantly do so if she could. But I'm not sure she believes that she could actually have the country leave without a deal without a parliamentary coup against her, or the Tory party fracturing, or both, or worse...
    I suppose my view is that Theresa May has no intention of doing anything other than passing her deal, and I think she will accept the no deal default in preference to revoking article 50.

What she has been telling MPs who refuse to vote for her deal is that if they want to avoid no deal they have to do the dirty work themselves - she isn't going to do it so that they can hide behind her from the anger of Leave voters denied Brexit.

MPs who believe as Big_G does that she will avoid no deal at the last moment will, I think, be grievously disappointed. They have to organise that for themselves. Perhaps TIG makes this more likely by providing a pole of organisation independent from May or Corbyn. Time, though, is running short.

Brexit hour in 892 and three quarter hours.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    dr_spyn said:
    I would say 'unbelievable' - but it is utterly true to form. Both from Hatton and the Labour Party.

I wonder if Galloway can beat the record when he gets readmitted... (as he surely will be)
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Called it last night.

of his birth"

So are her parents British or Bangladeshi? They cannot be both.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The most 3 most impressive Tory MPs by a distance and by the sound of it support is tumbling in. Even Polly T sounds like she's being won over.

Admittedly the new party couldn't believe their luck when Hatton and Galloway rejoined Labour and the BBC were not unhelpful when they went full Derby and Joan with their vox pops to show the party the modern Tory women had just left
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

dr_spyn said:
    Antisemitic tweet I believe.

'first as tragedy, then as farce'
    One of several odd tweets, unless my eyes were playing tricks yesterday.
  • Options

Degsy gone again, I see.

Ah, the Livingstone gambit.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It makes no sense.

Washington! So it's a CIA front, not Mossad at all like the twitter trolls said.
  • Options

Degsy gone again, I see.

Its been the most enjoyable political day since Gordon Brown resigned.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Another diplomatic blunder from Jeremy Hunt.

https://twitter.com/hhesterm/status/1098204224175984641

Utterly disgusting, even without the comic timing
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    dr_spyn said:
    I remember seeing Derek Hatton on TV in 1992 and he said that people might as well vote Tory than support Labour under Kinnock! Funny the things a person can remember! But it undermines his comments that he has unequivocally supported Labour for 34 years. He has not and it is a shame I cannot remember the precise TV program he articulated this belief. Mind you if he said that about Kinnock I wonder what indiscretions he made about Blair?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,236
    Cookie said:

A propros of nothing in particular, I'm on the Metrolink home. The driver has just interrupted the journey to announce his hope that we all had a good day at work, rejoice at the fact that it's now light for the journey home, and enthuse about the weather for the weekend, all in a comedy Mancunian accent. Has cheered me up tremendously.

Are you sure he wasn't just from Manchester?
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Called it last night.

of his birth"

So are her parents British or Bangladeshi? They cannot be both.
    Wiki says the Father only came to England in 2007
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    I remember seeing Derek Hatton on TV in 1992 and he said that people might as well vote Tory than support Labour under Kinnock! Funny the things a person can remember! But it undermines his comments that he has unequivocally supported Labour for 34 years. He has not and it is a shame I cannot remember the precise TV program he articulated this belief. Mind you if he said that about Kinnock I wonder what indiscretions he made about Blair?
    Is that a recent photograph of Hatton? He looks remarkably youthful. According to Wikipedia he is 71 years of age.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

dr_spyn said:
    Is that a recent photograph of Hatton? He looks remarkably youthful. According to Wikipedia he is 71 years of age.
    He recommends twice-yearly botox injections.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/nostalgia/derek-hatton-ill-never-retire-3495056
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Are you sure he wasn't just from Manchester?
    Did he mention the sunshiiiiiiine?
  • Options
    Speaking of not listening:

Two prominent Roman Catholic Church cardinals have urged an end of what they call "the plague of the homosexual agenda", telling bishops to break their complicity over cases of sexual abuse.

In an open letter, Cardinals Burke and Brandmüller say the Church has wrongly blamed the abuse of power by clergy as the main cause of the scandals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47302817
This discussion has been closed.