Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Six weeks tomorrow could mark the beginning of the end for the

12346»

Comments

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    valleyboy said:

valleyboy said:

valleyboy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

About f*cking time! It depends how many he takes with him. If Labour MPs had any integrity it would be 170ish (i.e. those that have no confidence in Corbyn).
    Are you a member?

For now, yes.

Let's see how Brexit unfolds to see if I continue to be a member.

I am losing faith to be honest. Just look at the Labour front bench. The fact that Keir Starmer (who's not that great) is head and shoulders above any one else is a worry
    If Remaining is everything to you maybe you will end up Leaving the party.

To me its a side issue compared to replacing the Tories in Government
    For me as a life long member Brexit is a massive issue and I am furious with Corbyn for going down that path, against the will of the membership. I have lost faith in him but the Party is bigger than any one individual and I will continue to support it wholeheartedly.
    Excepting Cardiff, every Labour constituency in Wales voted to Leave.
    And?
    So, it would seem Corbyn's views are in line with most Welsh voters.

E.g., in Blaenau Gwent 62 per cent voted Leave. They can't all be Tories, because there are hardly any Tories in Blaenau Gwent. They must be overwhelmingly Labour voters.
    I said Labour members as you well know. Overwhelmingly members want to remain. These are the foot soldiers who do the hard graft at elections. Corbyn upsets them at his peril.
    Yes, I know you said Labour members.

And I said Labour voters. Deliberately.

An MP represents the voters, not just the members.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

kle4 said:

To be fair, it’s only not a big story because the rules have changed. Five years ago a minister calling dozens of his own party’s MPs traitors and telling them to leave would have had a fair impact. Back then not eating a bacon sandwich properly got you all over the front pages.

Yes, but right now it is just lame. What a letdown.
    Boo I am off to bed

Chukka now quitting on 29th February!!!!
    What year?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Government Minister publicly calls other government MPs traitors and should be expelled. Only in this dysfunctional govt is this a non story. Points to how low we’ve fallen.

Not far off the Blair/Brown days.
    I don't remember most of those years super well, but surely it was never this bad. Various remain and leave ultras openly admit to despising one another, people surely at least pretended not to do so.
    We had Corbyn/Abbott and Mandelson/Miliband in the same party. At one point Galloway too though he eventually got expelled. What do you think?
    Were dozens repeatedly and openly spewing such contempt at one another though? One or two I can see, and a larger group really not liking others, hence why you had Corbyn and the awkward squad after all, but these Tories just seem something else - other than brief moments of residual tribal loyalty to the brand they appear to have nothing in common with one another and loathe each other's personalities, politics and principles.
    Yes.

It wasn't just personality we had Iraq and other divisions that got pretty nasty.
    Iraq was a rather unique issue, and they got by as a party just fine in the years afterwards. They happily stood together for elections afterwards. How are some of these Tories credibly going to pretend to be able to stand under the same banner?
  • Options
    Floater said:

kle4 said:

To be fair, it’s only not a big story because the rules have changed. Five years ago a minister calling dozens of his own party’s MPs traitors and telling them to leave would have had a fair impact. Back then not eating a bacon sandwich properly got you all over the front pages.

Boo I am off to bed

What year?

20xx
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Floater said:

kle4 said:

Boo I am off to bed

What year?

It's going to be quite a leap for him...

Good night.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Government Minister publicly calls other government MPs traitors and should be expelled. Only in this dysfunctional govt is this a non story. Points to how low we’ve fallen.

I don't remember most of those years super well, but surely it was never this bad. Various remain and leave ultras openly admit to despising one another, people surely at least pretended not to do so.
    We had Corbyn/Abbott and Mandelson/Miliband in the same party. At one point Galloway too though he eventually got expelled. What do you think?
    Were dozens repeatedly and openly spewing such contempt at one another though? One or two I can see, and a larger group really not liking others, hence why you had Corbyn and the awkward squad after all, but these Tories just seem something else - other than brief moments of residual tribal loyalty to the brand they appear to have nothing in common with one another and loathe each other's personalities, politics and principles.
    Yes.

It wasn't just personality we had Iraq and other divisions that got pretty nasty.
    Iraq was a rather unique issue, and they got by as a party just fine in the years afterwards. They happily stood together for elections afterwards. How are some of these Tories credibly going to pretend to be able to stand under the same banner?
    Brexit will be in the past eventually.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Yes.

Not for many many years. Whatever happens in the weeks to come Brexit will require ongoing very difficult decisions which they will continue to viscerally disagree about.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Well, in those days it was all about personality. Once you drilled down, there wasn't much difference in policy - both were hawks, both were statist, both were viciously tribal and both believed fiercely in their own superhuman brilliance, boh were fundamentally uninterested in the poor ahead of the electorate. The question therefore became whether to support a third rate snake oil salesman with an extraordinary genius for gathering votes or a violent narcissistic bully with a big brain and a still bigger ego.

And as a result, there was always a feeling matters could be smoothed over when they moved on. But at the moment both parties are brutally riven on policy. Leaving aside Macdonnell, who is scum, the others are just quite grey. Meanwhile, on the key policy issues of which Brexit is only the most visible the policy gulfs have become veritable chasms. There is nothing to suggest therefore that their departure would ease matters.
    Do you vote for any of the political parties ?
    Despite myself, I can’t help but like John McDonnell. He always comes across well and seems pragmatic. He probably isn’t - but he is very convincing.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Agreed. I have had more than a few epiphanies these last months, as one MP after another (on all sides or the argument) has been revealed as a total, dribbling cretin. Same goes for lots pf pundits and "experts" - again, on both sides - who've turned out to be wholly clueless. But the MPs are the worst. My daughter's new hamster would do better in government than this caravan of imbeciles, charlatans and cowards.

Deary me.

In fairness we're not seeing individual MPs constantly changing their minds, apart from the "for two pins I'd resign from my party/Cabinet" types. Pretty much everyone else is quite consistent, to the point of stubbornness.

But I wonder why we think the EU would agree to a lengthy delay in A50. What reason have they to think that we will do more than continue to go round in circles? There's a German saying, "Besser ein schreckliches Ende als ein Schreck ohne Ende" (better a horrible end than an endless horror).
    Look at it the other way though: What harm is the UK doing Germany by going round in endless circles? It's not like anyone except the British are wasting time on negotiations at this point - it's basically TMay having a meeting with the Commssion once every fortnight where she demands that they reopen her deal and they tell her to piss off. Meanwhile the UK will still presumably be paying its (net positive) bills, and everybody's ignoring it in decision-making so it's not doing any damage there.

I mean, a tidy resolution would be better, but No Deal would be really bad for everyone, so given a crunch situation where the UK has failed to pass the deal and asked for a last-minute extension, wouldn't you rather they just keep driving around the roundabout instead of crashing their car into you?
    Quite.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

She's not British. She gave up that moral right the day she decided to join IS.

She is British. You don't stop being British due to wicked behaviour. Ian Brady was British until the day he died. This teenage girl who was indoctrinated into Islamic fascism and ran away at 15 to be a jihadi bride and based on her interview is unrepentant is. .. British.
    I thought that all supporters of IS had to pledge allegiance to Islamic State, a Bay'a. Legally it may not mean she has given up British Citizenship, morally maybe a different answer.
    No, the UK doesn't accept any oath of allegiance to another sovereign or state (whether recognised by the UK or not) as an expatriating act, so even though eighteen months or so ago I denounced 'Er Maj and all her works to become a US citizen, the UK doesn't care and I am still a British citizen as well (the US does not require me do anything further than swear their oath).

To positively renounce British citizenship you have to apply to the Home Secretary who will only grant it if you already have a another citizenship or need to renounce British citizenship to acquire another one, and in that case if you don't acquire that other citizenship within a set time, the renunciation lapses. Since 2002 British citizens can be deprived of their citizenship by the Home Secretary for doing very naughty terroristic things, but only if they won't be made stateless by doing so. Naturalized citizens can be deprived of their British citizenship if they obtained it through fraud or false statements etc, even if they will be made stateless as a result.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Well, in those days it was all about personality. Once you drilled down, there wasn't much difference in policy - both were hawks, both were statist, both were viciously tribal and both believed fiercely in their own superhuman brilliance, boh were fundamentally uninterested in the poor ahead of the electorate. The question therefore became whether to support a third rate snake oil salesman with an extraordinary genius for gathering votes or a violent narcissistic bully with a big brain and a still bigger ego.

And as a result, there was always a feeling matters could be smoothed over when they moved on. But at the moment both parties are brutally riven on policy. Leaving aside Macdonnell, who is scum, the others are just quite grey. Meanwhile, on the key policy issues of which Brexit is only the most visible the policy gulfs have become veritable chasms. There is nothing to suggest therefore that their departure would ease matters.
    Despite myself, I can’t help but like John McDonnell. He always comes across well and seems pragmatic. He probably isn’t - but he is very convincing.
    I prefer Corbyn to McDonnell. There's a harder edge to McDonnell, and he lacks even Corbyn's presentation of consistent principle (even if one disagrees with his principles).
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    _Anazina_ said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

We'd be doing better in the polls with McDonnell as leader. He must be cursing that it wasn't his turn to be the token lefty candidate in 2015.

He's also a 'Remain and Reform' advocate so that would make our EU position easier to sell to the membership.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Brexit's still going
    OH FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST CAN'T SOMETHING MEANINGFUL ACTUALLY HAPPEN AND WE CAN ALL MOVE ON WITH OUR LIVES.

I don't think I'm very good at poetry.

I don't know about poetry, but you're jolly good at picking nom de plumes. Or should that be nom de guerres?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    _Anazina_ said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I would agree.
    He certainly comes across very well.Always very smart in interviews .
    In my opinion he is more hungry for power than Corbyn and that is why he is pragmatic.
    As he sees the current situation as a once in a generation chance of real change.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743

valleyboy said:

valleyboy said:

valleyboy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

About f*cking time! It depends how many he takes with him. If Labour MPs had any integrity it would be 170ish (i.e. those that have no confidence in Corbyn).
    Are you a member?

For now, yes.

Let's see how Brexit unfolds to see if I continue to be a member.

I am losing faith to be honest. Just look at the Labour front bench. The fact that Keir Starmer (who's not that great) is head and shoulders above any one else is a worry
    If Remaining is everything to you maybe you will end up Leaving the party.

To me its a side issue compared to replacing the Tories in Government
    For me as a life long member Brexit is a massive issue and I am furious with Corbyn for going down that path, against the will of the membership. I have lost faith in him but the Party is bigger than any one individual and I will continue to support it wholeheartedly.
    Excepting Cardiff, every Labour constituency in Wales voted to Leave.
    And?
    So, it would seem Corbyn's views are in line with most Welsh voters.

E.g., in Blaenau Gwent 62 per cent voted Leave. They can't all be Tories, because there are hardly any Tories in Blaenau Gwent. They must be overwhelmingly Labour voters.
    I said Labour members as you well know. Overwhelmingly members want to remain. These are the foot soldiers who do the hard graft at elections. Corbyn upsets them at his peril.
    Yes, I know you said Labour members.

And I said Labour voters. Deliberately.

An MP represents the voters, not just the members.
    Even in Leave voting areas, most Labour voters were for Remain.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    Floater said:

kle4 said:

Boo I am off to bed

What year?

In the year
    2525 Chuka
    Was still alive
    Hadn't quit yet

In the year 3535...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Not a wholly convincing article. The Irish issue would certainly be very live but Scotland much less so. It depends how bad it gets but would the Scots want a hard border with England? As for Wales, views on Brexit don't differ much to those in England.

As for England I don't see why Labour couldn't be the largest party if it got its act together. There's nothing very right wing about England.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I prefer Corbyn to McDonnell. There's a harder edge to McDonnell, and he lacks even Corbyn's presentation of consistent principle (even if one disagrees with his principles).
    McDonnell comes across as Met detective from the 1970's, at about the time when the Commissioner, Sir Robert Mark, said of the Met that a good police force catches more criminals than it employes.

In short, superficially charming and plausible but utterly untrustworthy and more than willing to condone the use of violence to get what he wants.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Yes.

Not for many many years. Whatever happens in the weeks to come Brexit will require ongoing very difficult decisions which they will continue to viscerally disagree about.
    No different to Iraq.

In 2005 Iraq was in the past.

The troubles Iraq created, the very difficult decisions and visceral disagreements still continued.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

McDonnell comes across as Met detective from the 1970's, at about the time when the Commissioner, Sir Robert Mark, said of the Met that a good police force catches more criminals than it employes.

In short, superficially charming and plausible but utterly untrustworthy and more than willing to condone the use of violence to get what he wants.
    He’s filth.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Just back from a Valentine day’s meal out and I see that the utterly pathetic meaningless gesturism is still persisting in Westminster. When are these spoiled brats going to grow up?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Agreed. I have had more than a few epiphanies these last months, as one MP after another (on all sides or the argument) has been revealed as a total, dribbling cretin. Same goes for lots pf pundits and "experts" - again, on both sides - who've turned out to be wholly clueless. But the MPs are the worst. My daughter's new hamster would do better in government than this caravan of imbeciles, charlatans and cowards.

Deary me.

In fairness we're not seeing individual MPs constantly changing their minds, apart from the "for two pins I'd resign from my party/Cabinet" types. Pretty much everyone else is quite consistent, to the point of stubbornness.

But I wonder why we think the EU would agree to a lengthy delay in A50. What reason have they to think that we will do more than continue to go round in circles? There's a German saying, "Besser ein schreckliches Ende als ein Schreck ohne Ende" (better a horrible end than an endless horror).
    The 21 month extension being talked about in the hotel bar does have its attractions. It has the same duration and core features as the WA, but with the advantage of not needing a meaningful vote passing. While the practice is much the same, it does mean that instead of being out but pretending to be in, we are in pretending to be out!

We can go straight to FTA, more time for both sides to prepare, backstop not an issue if FTA is agreed, and plenty of time for a rethink/GE/leadership contest/#peoplesvote etc.

The uncertainty would be undesireable, but better than no Deal. I reckon it is a decent option and the EU would go for it.

Tipped by me for a Dec 2020 departure at 28 last night, but getting shorter.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Just back from a Valentine day’s meal out and I see that the utterly pathetic meaningless gesturism is still persisting in Westminster. When are these spoiled brats going to grow up?

20/1 By 28/2
    10/1 By 29/3
    1/9 Never

(Apologies if odds don't add up right).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,047
    edited February 2019
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Re said evil IS lady

Does she have any citizenship other than British?*

It matter because we are signatories to two treaties (1954 and 1961), that impose serious restrictions on our ability to remove citizenship from people who have no other citizenship. If another country were to chuck her on a plane to the UK, we would have very little choice other than to accept her.**

Fortunately, it seems like she is likely guilty of a litany of crimes, so we can probably lean on Turkey, Syria and the like to prosecute her, and so the situation will hopefully resolve itself without us having to do anything.

* I said at the time we should recognise IS as a state, as it would save us a ton of problems later.

** We could always withdraw or abrogate these treaties. There are no exit clauses on these, so in theory that's impossible. But the reality is that we could leave them unilaterally, as with the backstop, at any time we chose.

Yes, we should lean on Turkey to prosecute her.

On the treaties against statelessness, they aren't fit for the modern era. They don't take into account stateless operators like IS, we should be able revoke citizenship I'm cases where there is incontrovertible proof that a person has declared themselves allied to a hostile entity, nation or not.
    With all due respect, the treaties against statelessness came into existence for exactly this reason. At the end of the Second World War, countries (unsurprisingly) sripped citizenship from those who fought against them. If you were French and fought for the Germans, then the French government stripped you of citizenship.

It became very clear that this was causing a big problem. And there were millions people, mostly in the middle of Europe, who lacked citizenship, and no country wanted to take them. The consequence is that it is almost impossible for countries to make people citizenless.

Even your suggestion of paying the Syrians doesn't really work though: because that is essentially admitting they are British (otherwise we wouldn't be paying), but asking someone else to take them beyond the rule of law.

The only long-term workable answer to this is to have a robust set of treason laws, that can be used to imprison those who fought against us, but are still - in the eyes of the world - British citizens.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    The hostile environment meets Valentine’s Day.

https://twitter.com/ukhomeoffice/status/302095617092632576?s=21
  • Options

Not a wholly convincing article. The Irish issue would certainly be very live but Scotland much less so. It depends how bad it gets but would the Scots want a hard border with England? As for Wales, views on Brexit don't differ much to those in England.

As for England I don't see why Labour couldn't be the largest party if it got its act together. There's nothing very right wing about England.

Indeed, weren't there net Labour gains in England in both 2015 and 2017?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354

SeanT said:

Deary me.

Look at it the other way though: What harm is the UK doing Germany by going round in endless circles? It's not like anyone except the British are wasting time on negotiations at this point - it's basically TMay having a meeting with the Commssion once every fortnight where she demands that they reopen her deal and they tell her to piss off. Meanwhile the UK will still presumably be paying its (net positive) bills, and everybody's ignoring it in decision-making so it's not doing any damage there.

I mean, a tidy resolution would be better, but No Deal would be really bad for everyone, so given a crunch situation where the UK has failed to pass the deal and asked for a last-minute extension, wouldn't you rather they just keep driving around the roundabout instead of crashing their car into you?
    Yes, I see what you mean. Probably the national governments aren't that bothered. My reading of the Eurocrats, though, is that they want the matter brought to a conclusion as soon as possible without some cataclysmic disaster.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

He’s filth.
    Filth and scum used this evening.
    Certainly gets the visceral juices flowing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

With all due respect, the treaties against statelessness came into existence for exactly this reason. At the end of the Second World War, countries (unsurprisingly) sripped citizenship from those who fought against them. If you were French and fought for the Germans, then the French government stripped you of citizenship.

It became very clear that this was causing a big problem. And there were millions people, mostly in the middle of Europe, who lacked citizenship, and no country wanted to take them.

Turn it around for a second. The consequence is that it is almost impossible for countries to make people citizenless.

Even your suggestion of paying the Syrians doesn't really work though: because that is essentially admitting they are British (otherwise we wouldn't be paying), but asking someone else to take them beyond the rule of law.

The only long-term workable answer to this is to have a robust set of treason laws, that can be used to imprison those who fought against us, but are still - in the eyes of the world - British citizens.

Yep I agree with this. Just because our opponents behave in an uncivilized and barbaric manner does not mean we should stoop to their level. We have laws and procedures in place covering this eventuality and whilst I would agree it is up to other countries to decide whether or not they prosecute this woman according to their laws, this is not an excuse for us to abrogate our responsibilities As a country. The woman should be brought home and prosecuted like any other accused person.
  • Options

Is that tweet really necessary?

Even I don't like that, and I'm an immigration hawk.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    So. While I have been out something very big and important was about to happen. But didn't.
    British politics since the GE redux then.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

For god’s sake, I appreciate that the infantalism of Twitter is infectious but surely we can expect better of paid civil servants than this.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902

Mays Britain
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It became very clear that this was causing a big problem. And there were millions people, mostly in the middle of Europe, who lacked citizenship, and no country wanted to take them.

Turn it around for a second. The consequence is that it is almost impossible for countries to make people citizenless.

Yep I agree with this. Just because our opponents behave in an uncivilized and barbaric manner does not mean we should stoop to their level. We have laws and procedures in place covering this eventuality and whilst I would agree it is up to other countries to decide whether or not they prosecute this woman according to their laws, this is not an excuse for us to abrogate our responsibilities As a country. The woman should be brought home and prosecuted like any other accused person.

It would be practically impossible to prosecute her for any crimes committed in Syria or Iraq here because of the difficulty of getting evidence to the required standard and getting witnesses here to give evidence. If she has committed serious crimes in those countries then those countries are the right places for her to be prosecuted. We should not be whisking away British citizens so that they avoid prosecution by overseas authorities and any effective prosecution here because of the lack of evidence.

If she ends up here by all means take action here. But no-one should be able to go abroad, commit crimes and then escape justice by saying, ooh I'm a British citizen and I'll go home and there's nothing you can do.

Of course she may not have committed crimes in Iraq but how can anyone know. From what I have read IS women played a more active part in maintaining order by some fairly brutal means (if not actual fighting) and weren't simply cooking dinner and having babies.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mays Britain
    Is that for real? It's grotesque if so.
  • Options
    Roses are Red, Violets are Blue,
    If politicians don't get their shit together,
    Its boxed wine for all of you.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Cyclefree said:

it is dated 6 years ago. When May was Home Secretary
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Mays Britain
    Indeed

It is also dated 6 years ago ...

"Nothing has changed" to coin a phrase?? ;)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Mays Britain
    From 2013 apparently, when May was Home Secretary.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The idea of Trump actually declaring the national emergency is hilarious.

Congress can immediatly pass a vote ending it. Then the Senate has to vote on ending it 18 days later (15 days of Comittee then 3 days to vote) no filibuster allowed. Straight up and down.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited February 2019

twitter.com/ukhomeoffice/status/302095617092632576?s=21

That tweet is from 6 years ago. I hope the total knob responsible for the tw@tter account at the time has long since been departed, however knowing the civil service they are now probably on the Brexit negotiating team....;-)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Mays Britain
    Which is worse, May’s home office or May’s government, discuss?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It would be practically impossible to prosecute her for any crimes committed in Syria or Iraq here because of the difficulty of getting evidence to the required standard and getting witnesses here to give evidence. If she has committed serious crimes in those countries then those countries are the right places for her to be prosecuted. We should not be whisking away British citizens so that they avoid prosecution by overseas authorities and any effective prosecution here because of the lack of evidence.

If she ends up here by all means take action here. But no-one should be able to go abroad, commit crimes and then escape justice by saying, ooh I'm a British citizen and I'll go home and there's nothing you can do.

Of course she may not have committed crimes in Iraq but how can anyone know. From what I have read IS women played a more active part in maintaining order by some fairly brutal means (if not actual fighting) and weren't simply cooking dinner and having babies.

There are laws here to do with membership of a terrorist organisation. She could certainly be prosecuted for that.

I am not suggesting we should do anything to circumvent the laws of these other countries. That should be allowed to take its course. But once that is done we should seek her extradition or bring her home if she surrenders to our officials. We certainly should not bar her from coming back and facing justice.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Deary me.

Yes, I see what you mean. Probably the national governments aren't that bothered. My reading of the Eurocrats, though, is that they want the matter brought to a conclusion as soon as possible without some cataclysmic disaster.
    That sounds plausible. But:
    1) It's up to the 27, not the Eurocrats
    2) I don't think anyone's really confident they know how cataclysmic No Deal would be
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mays Britain
    That is really crass

The tweet I mean, not your response.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Mays Britain
    I can think of far worse things. Certainly crass and rather undignified though. I wonder if the 'nudge' unit was involved?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Mays Britain
    Which is worse, May’s home office or May’s government, discuss?
    I would say at the moment May's Home Office. May's Government is largely ineffective whereas May's home office was effective in doing real damage.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Congress can immediatly pass a vote ending it. Then the Senate has to vote on ending it 18 days later (15 days of Comittee then 3 days to vote) no filibuster allowed. Straight up and down.

I didn't know that - but would a republican senate actually end it, given the support for the wall amongst republicans is 87%
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    SeanT said:

How come, in that light, joining ISIS isn't a treacherous act, in the eyes of the law? If it isn't, then the law is an ass, and should be amended.

Guantanamo Bay has got plenty of free space at the moment. Perhaps we could convince the American's that they could gain some good intel from these people and don't be in a rush about getting it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Indeed. Joining ISIS is clearly a treasonable act: because it means joining a brutal, sadistic, dedicated terror group which wants to kill British people simply for being British, and has in fact done so many times.

ISIS is, or was, arguably a more ferocious enemy than the Nazis (e.g. we could possibly have negotiated a peace with Hitler in 1940, but we can never negotiate with ISIS, as the very basis of their beliefs, their raison d'etre, is that we must die as kaffirs)

How come, in that light, joining ISIS isn't a treacherous act, in the eyes of the law? If it isn't, then the law is an ass, and should be amended.

Looking at current treason laws I think it is entirely possible that there could be prosecutions under these laws. I don't know of course but I do wonder if they are not doing so because of the connotations associated with the word
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Re said evil IS lady

Does she have any citizenship other than British?*

It matter because we are signatories to two treaties (1954 and 1961), that impose serious restrictions on our ability to remove citizenship from people who have no other citizenship. If another country were to chuck her on a plane to the UK, we would have very little choice other than to accept her.**

Fortunately, it seems like she is likely guilty of a litany of crimes, so we can probably lean on Turkey, Syria and the like to prosecute her, and so the situation will hopefully resolve itself without us having to do anything.

* I said at the time we should recognise IS as a state, as it would save us a ton of problems later.

** We could always withdraw or abrogate these treaties. There are no exit clauses on these, so in theory that's impossible. But the reality is that we could leave them unilaterally, as with the backstop, at any time we chose.

Yes, we should lean on Turkey to prosecute her.

On the treaties against statelessness, they aren't fit for the modern era. They don't take into account stateless operators like IS, we should be able revoke citizenship I'm cases where there is incontrovertible proof that a person has declared themselves allied to a hostile entity, nation or not.
    It became very clear that this was causing a big problem. And there were millions people, mostly in the middle of Europe, who lacked citizenship, and no country wanted to take them. The consequence is that it is almost impossible for countries to make people citizenless.

Indeed. Joining ISIS is clearly a treasonable act: because it means joining a brutal, sadistic, dedicated terror group which wants to kill British people simply for being British, and has in fact done so many times.

ISIS is, or was, arguably a more ferocious enemy than the Nazis (e.g. we could possibly have negotiated a peace with Hitler in 1940, but we can never negotiate with ISIS, as the very basis of their beliefs, their raison d'etre, is that we must die as kaffirs)

I think it's an offence under the Terrorism Act 2006.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I didn't know that - but would a republican senate actually end it, given the support for the wall amongst republicans is 87%
    The Republicans are worried about the precedent it might set. According to the BBC they could see a future Democrat government taking similar action to force through gun controls
  • Options
    Roses are Red,
    Violets are blue,
    If you joined ISIS,
    It's prison for you...
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

SeanT said:

Guantanamo Bay has got plenty of free space at the moment. Perhaps we could convince the American's that they could gain some good intel from these people and don't be in a rush about getting it.
    Telegraph lead article on the website now is that the US have had enough of the UK position and are now saying they can all come to Guantanamo.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

SeanT said:

Telegraph lead article on the website now is that the US have had enough of the UK position and are now saying they can all come to Guantanamo.
    In all honesty, the remaining two of the 4 psychos need to go there, or have a "mishap" on the way to the showers.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    All those hoping that ISIS fighers and WAGS would be getting charged with some sort of crime...

It has emerged that the vast majority of Islamist fighters returning to the UK from Syria have been placed on “secretive” government rehabilitation schemes rather than be prosecuted. Only 1 in 10 have been prosecuted.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/14/us-plans-jail-british-jihadis-guantanamo-getting-fed-up-uks/
  • Options

SeanT said:

Good for them.
  • Options
    Awb683Awb683 Posts: 80
    England on its own outside the EU, no chance of a Labour government - what's not to like!!
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

All those hoping that ISIS fighers and WAGS would be getting charged with some sort of crime...

It has emerged that the vast majority of Islamist fighters returning to the UK from Syria have been placed on “secretive” government rehabilitation schemes rather than be prosecuted. Only 1 in 10 have been prosecuted.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/14/us-plans-jail-british-jihadis-guantanamo-getting-fed-up-uks/

Also in the article go fight for ISIS get a council house on your return. Them council houses, loads available.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I think that’s absolutely spot on. In the first two episodes he comes across well, and we think he’s a principled detective determined only to bring justice to the world. In the later episode wevrealise his principles only extend to the cosy and blinkered circle of values and friends he’s worked in all his life.
  • Options

It's often hard to know the truth about these things: is a rehabilitation centre a nice name for a place where people are essentially incarcerated without trial? Or does it mean people are given new identities and dumped into society? How much does it reflect the difficulty is prosecuting people due to lack of evidence? How many people have essentially swapped information for leniancy?

The Telegraph has a story. But without context, it is just a story.
  • Options
    TheAncientMarinerTheAncientMariner Posts: 227
    edited February 2019

Alistair said:

The Republicans are worried about the precedent it might set. According to the BBC they could see a future Democrat government taking similar action to force through gun controls
    Isn't that a bit of a red herring - isn't it harder to amend the constitution then declare/ end a SOE? ( I would have thought Trump would get each senator to declare on the record - at the White House that they would revoke the SOM, before he issues it. The GOP senators would realise they would be deselected when their tenure expires)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,920
    As many of you know, the European Parliament has a vote on the Brexit withdrawal agreement. So it might be nice to know what they are thinking. Here is a recent Reddit article by an employee:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/aknnsw/im_a_parliamentary_assistant_in_the_european/
  • Options
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

He’s filth.
    Roses are red
    McDonnell is redder
    If you think he is filth
    Say why in a threader
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    _Anazina_ said:

+1
This discussion has been closed.