Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Six weeks tomorrow could mark the beginning of the end for the

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

RobD said:
    Except that’s not a boom.
    It’s a squib, with promise of boom.
    That may or may not have been an ironic boom.
  • Options

I also think sufficient Tories may support remaining in a/the customs union to the end Brexit impasse.

I think it's the right move now, question is how to do it without tearing the party apart and how to stop Corbyn getting in
    My advice is that they say we'll leave the customs union once Liam Fox has sorted out all those new trade deals.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Splat
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited February 2019
    RobD said:
    It's not a sodding thread on AV is it?
  • Options

I also think sufficient Tories may support remaining in a/the customs union to the end Brexit impasse.

I think it's the right move now, question is how to do it without tearing the party apart and how to stop Corbyn getting in
    My advice is that they say we'll leave the customs union once Liam Fox has sorted out all those new trade deals.
    might give us a bit of time ;)
  • Options
    Lol @ minister tells ERG to F off
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Only on pb can you see defenders of the terrorist traitor. Disgusting.

What’s Jacob Rees Mogg’s handle on here?

https://twitter.com/bbcpolitics/status/1096045001119653893?s=21
    That applies in the UK. She is not in the UK. She is subject to the laws of the place where she is now.
    Indeed, though not surprising that JRM has come out with such bollocks given his current form on everything else.
    Pretty much everything JRM says is bollocks. He just says it in a very polite voice. But bollocks it still is.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    Brom said:

tick tock no deal brexit gets closer!

Parliament voted 318 to 310 against No Deal, that could easily turn into a 318 to 310 vote for permanent Customs Union membership, higher if Tory ministers like Rudd and Clark resign to vote for a permanent Customs Union to stop No Deal
  • Options

RobD said:
    It's not a sodding thread on AV is it?
    :o there is no such thing as a sodding AV thread.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If we end up permanently locked in the CU, yet outside the SM, the most damaging and pointless Brexit of all, then I shall officially declare my Brexit vote an error. Because such an outcome is clearly inferior to Remaining, where at least we get to make the rules, not just take them.

It's also very possible we would find this position so irksome we would rejoin within a few years.

It might come down to semantics, a custom union vs the customs union.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,872
    Yawn.
  • Options
    That it?? back to playing Apex Legends..
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

I have a heard from a reliable source that a cross party group of MPs will form an alliance to stop No Deal Brexit.

I wonder if that's the 8pm announcement.

Now back to my Valentine's Day break.

How?

You can delay a no deal Brexit but how can you stop it?
    Several avenues apparently.
    Extend, revoke, 2nd ref. Not exactly rocket science.
  • Options

might give us a bit of time ;)
    I reckon we'll see the end of the universe before we get better trade deals.
  • Options
    I've stayed up till 1.30am Indian time for that?

Seriously?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    What?
    That is the shittest of stories.
    Who is responsible for this pathetic display of expectation management?

I want my money back.
  • Options
    I expect the faux drama did the job of pushing up their twitter following
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083
    yawn
  • Options
    Someone no-one’s heard of is absolutely right.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    That it? Oh dear.

Remain minister throws toys out of pram. Story? Nah.....
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347
    edited February 2019
    RobD said:
    Is that it. Really - back to watching Emmerdale
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Seriously?
    GO TO BED!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    SeanT said:

If we end up permanently locked in the CU, yet outside the SM, the most damaging and pointless Brexit of all, then I shall officially declare my Brexit vote an error. Because such an outcome is clearly inferior to Remaining, where at least we get to make the rules, not just take them.

It's also very possible we would find this position so irksome we would rejoin within a few years.

We may as well Revoke and Remain if the alternative is in a CU but outside the SM. There is no point to that at all.

I would not be surprised if, having left, we applied to rejoin and the EU turned us down on the grounds that we are too stupid to understand what we are doing.

The last few weeks are giving the rest of the world the impression that our political class are utter morons who have only the barest grasp of the realities of the world around them.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kinabalu said:

SeanT said:

She expressly says it is OK to behead non-believers in her interview. That's surely a crime in itself: incitement to violence, and so on. Moreover, it doesn't really matter what we think or what British law says. Morally and ethically we must yield to the people of Syria and Iraq - the slaved and raped Yazidi women with slaughtered fathers and husbands - they are the victims of ISIS, they should decide what happens to her.

My guess is "send her back to Britain so she can have free health care" would not be their immediate reaction, if asked.

Perhaps I am being too bleeding heart liberal but I don't think so. I'm not suggesting that the UK govt owes her any major effort (or perhaps any effort) to get her home.

But, yes, if we assume that she was not a participant in atrocities, and bearing in mind that she was just 15 when she went, and is only 19 and heavily pregnant now, then her returning, junking the Islamist ideology, and resettling here represents to my mind a good outcome.

BTW, at the risk of whataboutery I wonder what the general feeling is about Asma al-Assad (apart from that she's a looker)?

She's not a teenager and she's not pregnant, but she is 'one of ours' and she is married to a man responsible for atrocities in Syria of a nature and scale almost beyond belief.
    We made her give up her U.K. passport
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I have a heard from a reliable source that a cross party group of MPs will form an alliance to stop No Deal Brexit.

I wonder if that's the 8pm announcement.

Now back to my Valentine's Day break.

How? By voting for the damn deal at last?

Because if not it isn't in their gift and it's just more drunken posturing.
    One way, by revoking A50 with a clause saying we will only Leave once a deal has been agreed and ratified by both parties.
    Since the EU won't negotiate unless A50 has been invoked, and since we can't extend it without their consent, that wouldn't be exactly helpful.
    Also the EU won't negotiate until we re-invoke.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    SeanT said:

Turkey seems to manage inside a Customs Union but outside the EU and Single Market though it would be rather amusing if those Leave posters advocating voting Leave to keep out Turks ended up with us voting Leave to become Turks!
  • Options
    Told you it was overhyped.

Such a lot of spin and bullshit.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

RobD said:
    Your forgot that the consequences “MAY” be interesting - journalist will get to write shit about whether any Conservative MPs will join the Farage*. pension accumulation show.

*iOS converted this to Farrago, which seems appropriate.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Nothing has changed - part 2,456,889 in an ongoing series
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:
    Except that’s not a boom.
    It’s a squib, with promise of boom.
    That may or may not have been an ironic boom.
    Which is the sound Iron Man makes as he breaks the sound barrier.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

Seriously?
    GO TO BED!
    Said Zebedee
  • Options
    So what about Chukka?
  • Options

That it? Oh dear.

Remain minister throws toys out of pram. Story? Nah.....
    I did say it was probably a Remainer calling JRM a dickhead.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    This appears to be cover for Harrington NOLT resigning. Yet.
  • Options
    To be fair, it’s only not a big story because the rules have changed. Five years ago a minister calling dozens of his own party’s MPs traitors and telling them to leave would have had a fair impact. Back then not eating a bacon sandwich properly got you all over the front pages.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Presumably the next stunning revelation will involve an MP in the Labour party not liking and agreeing with some other members of the Labour party. Also rumours that the SNP would favour an independent Scotland over staying in the UK...
  • Options
    Presumably this makes 'No Deal more likely'. That's the usual prognosis when a Remainer of any significance says something unflattering about Brexit.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Which, of course, has been the EU's game plan all along.

They might very well succeed now.
  • Options
    matt said:

RobD said:
    Your forgot that the consequences “MAY” be interesting - journalist will get to write shit about whether any Conservative MPs will join the Farage*. pension accumulation show.

There was a young man named Farage
    Who one day got locked in his garage
    He campaigned so hard
    But let down his guard
    And fell to an electoral barrage
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882
    edited February 2019

With a majority of just 2,000 votes in his Watford contingency I think JRM will be around a hell of a lot longer than Richard Harrington MP. :D
  • Options

So news at 8pm supposedly about Tory splits and Labour splits.

Come on Umunma, Grieve, Soubry et al and split. Bring it on.

Anyone think Chukka will bottle it?

Again.

Oh well only 67 mins till we know.
    We know
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    What was tonights motion even about ???
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

To be fair, it’s only not a big story because the rules have changed. Five years ago a minister calling dozens of his own party’s MPs traitors and telling them to leave would have had a fair impact. Back then not eating a bacon sandwich properly got you all over the front pages.

Yes, but right now it is just lame. What a letdown.
  • Options
    Was Martin "KaBOOM!" Boon behind the hyping of this story?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    kle4 said:

Yes , hardly the Valentine’s Day massacre!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Boo I am off to bed

Chukka now quitting on 29th February!!!!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Boo I am off to bed

Chukka now quitting on 29th February!!!!
    I'm afraid you're clearly stuck with him unless he's deselected - he's a coward who is going nowhere, like dozens of Tories.
  • Options
    It is still notable that being a Remain minister or Leave minister is still such an important distinction. The Tories are not a coalition of views, they are separate parties, the man didn't go far enough.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    I think any journalists ramping that story on Twitter should receive a cruel and unusual punishment: listening to Radiohead for 24 hours whilst eating pizza topped with pineapple.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    MaxPB said:

She's not British. She gave up that moral right the day she decided to join IS.

She is British. You don't stop being British due to wicked behaviour. Ian Brady was British until the day he died. This teenage girl who was indoctrinated into Islamic fascism and ran away at 15 to be a jihadi bride and based on her interview is unrepentant is. .. British.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/skwawkbox/status/1096139822949953537

Where by Labour supporters you mean Rachael Swindon, Wiltshire's equivalent of Sid and Doris Bonkers.

Dear old Skwankbox. Not so much a #Chicken as a #ReverseFerret.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Nothing has changed - part 2,456,889 in an ongoing series

The last part is number 17,410,742.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited February 2019

matt said:

RobD said:

There was a young man named Farage
    Who one day got locked in his garage
    He campaigned so hard
    But let down his guard
    And fell to an electoral barrage
    There was a young man named Sunil
    Who tried all our patience until
    He attempted so hard
    And his rhyming so jarred
    That he lost everybody's goodwill.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

She is British. You don't stop being British due to wicked behaviour. Ian Brady was British until the day he died. This teenage girl who was indoctrinated into Islamic fascism and ran away at 15 to be a jihadi bride and based on her interview is unrepentant is. .. British.
    I thought that all supporters of IS had to pledge allegiance to Islamic State, a Bay'a. Legally it may not mean she has given up British Citizenship, morally maybe a different answer.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Any journalist who ramps stories or polls is an utter knob. As has been proved with this “I think Rees is a twat” dog bites man nonsense.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

She is not in the UK. She is subject to the laws of the place where she is now.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

We may as well Revoke and Remain if the alternative is in a CU but outside the SM. There is no point to that at all.

I would not be surprised if, having left, we applied to rejoin and the EU turned us down on the grounds that we are too stupid to understand what we are doing.

The last few weeks are giving the rest of the world the impression that our political class are utter morons who have only the barest grasp of the realities of the world around them.
    Agreed. I have had more than a few epiphanies these last months, as one MP after another (on all sides or the argument) has been revealed as a total, dribbling cretin. Same goes for lots pf pundits and "experts" - again, on both sides - who've turned out to be wholly clueless. But the MPs are the worst. My daughter's new hamster would do better in government than this caravan of imbeciles, charlatans and cowards.

Deary me.
    A hamster probably goes around in circles less than our MPs
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    So - the govt being defeated in a meaningless motion, 🐻 shits in woods ERG "treachery" story and remain MPs in both parties deciding now is... not quite the time.
    Truly nothing has changed !
  • Options

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

About f*cking time! It depends how many he takes with him. If Labour MPs had any integrity it would be 170ish (i.e. those that have no confidence in Corbyn).
    Are you a member?

For now, yes.

Let's see how Brexit unfolds to see if I continue to be a member.

I am losing faith to be honest. Just look at the Labour front bench. The fact that Keir Starmer (who's not that great) is head and shoulders above any one else is a worry
    If Remaining is everything to you maybe you will end up Leaving the party.

To me its a side issue compared to replacing the Tories in Government
    For me as a life long member Brexit is a massive issue and I am furious with Corbyn for going down that path, against the will of the membership. I have lost faith in him but the Party is bigger than any one individual and I will continue to support it wholeheartedly.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    valleyboy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

About f*cking time! It depends how many he takes with him. If Labour MPs had any integrity it would be 170ish (i.e. those that have no confidence in Corbyn).
    Are you a member?

For now, yes.

I am losing faith to be honest. Just look at the Labour front bench. The fact that Keir Starmer (who's not that great) is head and shoulders above any one else is a worry

For me as a life long member Brexit is a massive issue and I am furious with Corbyn for going down that path, against the will of the membership. I have lost faith in him but the Party is bigger than any one individual and I will continue to support it wholeheartedly.
    Excepting Cardiff, every Labour constituency in Wales voted to Leave.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

So - the govt being defeated in a meaningless motion, 🐻 shits in woods ERG "treachery" story and remain MPs in both parties deciding now is... not quite the time.

We need a Theresa May nothing has changed Gif.

Could randomly replace half the posts with it.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Now that we've all had time to ingest this earth-shattering news... do we think it was worthy of this hype? :D

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1096107756782792704
  • Options
    RobD said:

Now that we've all had time to ingest this earth-shattering news... do we think it was worthy of this hype? :D

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1096107756782792704

No
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It is like an eBay auction.

Everything will happen in the last seconds of the listing.
  • Options

valleyboy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Are you a member?

For now, yes.

And?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited February 2019
    The problem in the UK is there’s still deference to a push voice !

Which explains why JRM can spout nonsense on a daily basis and some are still duped by it. Even more bizarre is how some poor folk have been led to believe he has their best interests at heart .

One only has to read his fathers book to see how this helped shape Moggs current views . If you’re poor and voted Brexit you essentially asked to be poorer with even less of a safety net.

It’s quite incredible how so many voted against their own interests.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

valleyboy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Are you a member?

For now, yes.

And?
    So, it would seem Corbyn's views are in line with most Welsh voters.

E.g., in Blaenau Gwent 62 per cent voted Leave. They can't all be Tories, because there are hardly any Tories in Blaenau Gwent. They must be overwhelmingly Labour voters.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    SeanT said:

Agreed. I have had more than a few epiphanies these last months, as one MP after another (on all sides or the argument) has been revealed as a total, dribbling cretin. Same goes for lots pf pundits and "experts" - again, on both sides - who've turned out to be wholly clueless. But the MPs are the worst. My daughter's new hamster would do better in government than this caravan of imbeciles, charlatans and cowards.

Deary me.

In fairness we're not seeing individual MPs constantly changing their minds, apart from the "for two pins I'd resign from my party/Cabinet" types. Pretty much everyone else is quite consistent, to the point of stubbornness.

But I wonder why we think the EU would agree to a lengthy delay in A50. What reason have they to think that we will do more than continue to go round in circles? There's a German saying, "Besser ein schreckliches Ende als ein Schreck ohne Ende" (better a horrible end than an endless horror).
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Looks like I was lucky to be totally oblivious to the 8 o'clock anticlimax.

For what it's worth, I do not expect any Tory or Labour MPs to quit their party before Brexit day.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    edited February 2019
    Government Minister publicly calls other government MPs traitors and should be expelled. Only in this dysfunctional govt is this a non story. Points to how low we’ve fallen.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Brexit's still going
    OH FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST CAN'T SOMETHING MEANINGFUL ACTUALLY HAPPEN AND WE CAN ALL MOVE ON WITH OUR LIVES.

I don't think I'm very good at poetry.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited February 2019
    nico67 said:

Which explains why Jeremy Corbyn can spout nonsense on a daily basis and some are still duped by it. Even more bizarre is how some poor folk have been led to believe he has their best interests at heart .

One only has to read his fathers book to see how this helped shape Corbyn's current views . If you’re poor and voted Labour you essentially asked to be poorer with even less of a safety net.

Fixed it for you :smile:

Two cheeks of the same arse,
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Government Minister publicly calls other government MPs traitors and should be expelled. Only in this dysfunctional govt is this a non story. Points to how low we’ve fallen.

Not far off the Blair/Brown days.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Brexit's still going
    OH FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST CAN'T SOMETHING MEANINGFUL ACTUALLY HAPPEN AND WE CAN ALL MOVE ON WITH OUR LIVES.

I'm not a poet, but I thought that adherence to rhyme and meter was secondary in importance to conveyance of meaning, and I think you touched on that well.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I don't remember most of those years super well, but surely it was never this bad. Various remain and leave ultras openly admit to despising one another, people surely at least pretended not to do so.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

And yet compared to Labour...
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    kle4 said:

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Brexit's still going

I'm not a poet, but I thought that adherence to rhyme and meter was secondary in importance to conveyance of meaning, and I think you touched on that well.
    +1
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Biden ‘almost certain’ to run.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/430028-exclusive-biden-almost-certain-to-enter-2020-race

Not a chance that he can Chukka away....
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited February 2019

SeanT said:

Deary me.

In fairness we're not seeing individual MPs constantly changing their minds, apart from the "for two pins I'd resign from my party/Cabinet" types. Pretty much everyone else is quite consistent, to the point of stubbornness.

But I wonder why we think the EU would agree to a lengthy delay in A50. What reason have they to think that we will do more than continue to go round in circles? There's a German saying, "Besser ein schreckliches Ende als ein Schreck ohne Ende" (better a horrible end than an endless horror).
    Look at it the other way though: What harm is the UK doing Germany by going round in endless circles? It's not like anyone except the British are wasting time on negotiations at this point - it's basically TMay having a meeting with the Commssion once every fortnight where she demands that they reopen her deal and they tell her to piss off. Meanwhile the UK will still presumably be paying its (net positive) bills, and everybody's ignoring it in decision-making so it's not doing any damage there.

I mean, a tidy resolution would be better, but No Deal would be really bad for everyone, so given a crunch situation where the UK has failed to pass the deal and asked for a last-minute extension, wouldn't you rather they just keep driving around the roundabout instead of crashing their car into you?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    First member of the CBC endorses a candidate (Harris):
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/430072-barbara-lee-endorses-kamala-harris
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

Which explains why Jeremy Corbyn can spout nonsense on a daily basis and some are still duped by it. Even more bizarre is how some poor folk have been led to believe he has their best interests at heart .

One only has to read his fathers book to see how this helped shape Corbyn's current views . If you’re poor and voted Labour you essentially asked to be poorer with even less of a safety net.

Fixed it for you :smile:

Two cheeks of the same arse,
    I think Corbyns clueless but one thing and probably only thing I believe he’d do is try and make life better for the poor . On Brexit he has rubbished his own Conference Motion and has completely ignored his members. I’m a Labour supporter and it’s all very painful at the moment .
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I don't remember most of those years super well, but surely it was never this bad. Various remain and leave ultras openly admit to despising one another, people surely at least pretended not to do so.
    Well, in those days it was all about personality. Once you drilled down, there wasn't much difference in policy - both were hawks, both were statist, both were viciously tribal and both believed fiercely in their own superhuman brilliance, boh were fundamentally uninterested in the poor ahead of the electorate. The question therefore became whether to support a third rate snake oil salesman with an extraordinary genius for gathering votes or a violent narcissistic bully with a big brain and a still bigger ego.

And as a result, there was always a feeling matters could be smoothed over when they moved on. But at the moment both parties are brutally riven on policy. Leaving aside Macdonnell, who is scum, the others are just quite grey. Meanwhile, on the key policy issues of which Brexit is only the most visible the policy gulfs have become veritable chasms. There is nothing to suggest therefore that their departure would ease matters.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

We had Corbyn/Abbott and Mandelson/Miliband in the same party. At one point Galloway too though he eventually got expelled. What do you think?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I think Corbyns clueless but one thing and probably only thing I believe he’d do is try and make life better for the poor.

Then why was his whole manifesto a series of bungs to the middle classes at the expense of the poor? Not buying that argument. What he says and what he does are two very different things.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

I think Corbyns clueless but one thing and probably only thing I believe he’d do is try and make life better for the poor.

Then why was his whole manifesto a series of bungs to the middle classes at the expense of the poor? Not buying that argument. What he says and what he does are two very different things.
    Nico didn’t specify the poor in which country.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited February 2019
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Well, in those days it was all about personality. Once you drilled down, there wasn't much difference in policy - both were hawks, both were statist, both were viciously tribal and both believed fiercely in their own superhuman brilliance, boh were fundamentally uninterested in the poor ahead of the electorate. The question therefore became whether to support a third rate snake oil salesman with an extraordinary genius for gathering votes or a violent narcissistic bully with a big brain and a still bigger ego.

And as a result, there was always a feeling matters could be smoothed over when they moved on. But at the moment both parties are brutally riven on policy. Leaving aside Macdonnell, who is scum, the others are just quite grey. Meanwhile, on the key policy issues of which Brexit is only the most visible the policy gulfs have become veritable chasms. There is nothing to suggest therefore that their departure would ease matters.
    Do you vote for any of the political parties ?
  • Options
    Roses are red
    So’s Ian Dunt
    May’s Deal is dead
    Rees Mogg’s a very silly person
  • Options

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

We had Corbyn/Abbott and Mandelson/Miliband in the same party. At one point Galloway too though he eventually got expelled. What do you think?
    Were dozens repeatedly and openly spewing such contempt at one another though? One or two I can see, and a larger group really not liking others, hence why you had Corbyn and the awkward squad after all, but these Tories just seem something else - other than brief moments of residual tribal loyalty to the brand they appear to have nothing in common with one another and loathe each other's personalities, politics and principles.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Do you vote for a party ?
    If there's whisky involved I'll vote to have one tomorrow :smile:

More seriously, I have voted for all four parties (counting Plaid) and a string of independents. I am usually quite happy to judge candidates on their merits, divorced from party affiliation. One of the reasons I was in such a strop two years ago is I would really have liked to vote for the Labour candidate here, but felt I couldn't because of Corbyn.
  • Options

valleyboy said:

valleyboy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Are you a member?

For now, yes.

And?
    So, it would seem Corbyn's views are in line with most Welsh voters.

E.g., in Blaenau Gwent 62 per cent voted Leave. They can't all be Tories, because there are hardly any Tories in Blaenau Gwent. They must be overwhelmingly Labour voters.
    I said Labour members as you well know. Overwhelmingly members want to remain. These are the foot soldiers who do the hard graft at elections. Corbyn upsets them at his peril.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Were dozens repeatedly and openly spewing such contempt at one another though? One or two I can see, and a larger group really not liking others, hence why you had Corbyn and the awkward squad after all, but these Tories just seem something else - other than brief moments of residual tribal loyalty to the brand they appear to have nothing in common with one another and loathe each other's personalities, politics and principles.
    Yes.

It wasn't just personality we had Iraq and other divisions that got pretty nasty.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    valleyboy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Are you a member?

For now, yes.

Labour has never been ideologically commited to the EU - or its earlier incarnations. Back in the 1970s and 1980s the party was as split on membership as the Tories appear to be today - and was by far the most Eurosceptical of the main parties. The 1983 election was fought on a commitment to leave the EEC - without a Referendum being promised. Things did change with Jacques Delors in the mid-1980s and membership increasingly began to be seen as a means of protecting workers from the excesses of Thatcherism, but it is very much an issue which excites party activists rather than the public at large.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

Promising to increase Carers allowance , was in the manifesto, I believe.
    A very noble cause.
This discussion has been closed.