Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay’s message that she’s prepared to countenance a no deal Br

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

Hunt on News at Ten putting the boot into Robbins - saying the last thing we need is another extension and more Brexit paralysis.....

The strategy is psychological destruction of the Brexiteers. That depends on making them think they will be responsible for no deal. An extension let’s them off the hook.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

there's a danger Leave won the battle in 2016 but ultimately lost the war.

Success equals performance minus expectation.

BoZo knew that the day after the vote :smile:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

Hunt on News at Ten putting the boot into Robbins - saying the last thing we need is another extension and more Brexit paralysis.....

Well he's right, but I'd not trust a snake like Hunt any further than I could throw him.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Frankly, and I will not be alone in thinking this, I am surprised even 6 are on course. Has this government achieved anything worthwhile on Brexit? No, the deal does not count because while I'd sign it, Parliament won't so it is pointless.

It's why, horrible though it is, remaining really is the best option now - there's no f*cking way this absolute clownish group of incompetents manage anything worthwhile in the next phase.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    Scott_P said:
    And one of those is the Faroe Islands. No disrespect to the Faroes but it's not going to be a big slice of our trade is it?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I reckon OGS hasn't got what it takes, seems tactically naive, despite his prolonged post Jose bounce.

Worth a Lay for next manager?

Give him a break. He has lifted United into the top four, is well ahead of the rest of the premier league on all stats goals scored and points secured since he took over.

He will have ups and downs but he is certainly in a good place to get the job
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    It hasn't occurred to some of the dopier Remainers that whilst they would like no deal Brexit to stalk among us like the Black Death, killing the first born and leaving everyone else with weeping sores, there may just physically not be enough, anywhere near enough, things that can go wrong, even in the worst case scenario, to fulfill their luridly painted predictions. Put simply, they have, once again, overegged it. Because (thank goodness) they never learn.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,659
    Scott_P said:
    Jezza will be pleased to see that the Palestinian Authority are in the green column.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Foxy said:

I reckon OGS hasn't got what it takes, seems tactically naive, despite his prolonged post Jose bounce.

United have been pretty awful. I thought they’d win tonight.
    Have been pretty awful. Remind me which team tops the premier league in all stats since Ole took over

They were outclassed tonight but they have made great progress recently
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

It hasn't occurred to some of the dopier Remainers that whilst they would like no deal Brexit to stalk among us like the Black Death, killing the first born and leaving everyone else with weeping sores, there may just physically not be enough, anywhere near enough, things that can go wrong, even in the worst case scenario, to fulfill their luridly painted predictions. Put simply, they have, once again, overegged it. Because (thank goodness) they never learn.

Nice.

How is your own learning mechanism doing these days? Still think that Jo Cox was killed as part of a false flag operation?
  • Options

That's a lot of words to say fuck all.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    edited February 2019
    rcs1000 said:

On topic, I've been banging on for ages, and betting accordingly, that we're leaving next month with No Deal.

The only question left is for how long the country is prepared to tolerate No Deal.

Those close to Gove say he thinks the harder the Brexit the quicker we rejoin, which is fine by me.

No deal scenario - The commission is in disarray, Juncker has left and the new commission has not been appointed. So Herr Selymar steps up as the top EU bod. He is unequivocal "The Brits have left they need to lie in the bed they have made, solidarity for the remaining EU members."

Merkel has just met with the bosses of Ford and Opel who have told her that all plants in Germany will close as their largest most profitable market is now not in the EU. GDP is forceast to drop 5%+ YoY in Germany this year.

Merkel has requested emergency talks with the Prime Minister to try to salvage the dramatic drop in German goods exports to the UK.

Am I a fiction writer or a non-fiction writer?
    A fiction writer.

When a Mercedes is sold in the UK, it adds more than twice as much to our GDP as theirs .

But I have not mentioned Mercs or Beemers or Audi's. I said Fords and Opels.

We will replace their models with Seat Exeo's and Skoda Superbs, and Hyundai's and Kia's.

Which means as you say our GDP will be ok'ish and Merkel still has a problem with production levels at those non premium car plants in Germany, as their largest market in the EU by quite a long way is the UK.

Also nobody has picked up on my point that there will be no effective commission in place until about September. With Selmayr in charge why will he agree to anything that we request?
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

Foxy said:

Have been pretty awful. Remind me which team tops the premier league in all stats since Ole took over

I don't think so. Looked rather witless in recent matches.

• Options
    Foxy said:

_Anazina_ said:

On the topic of people disbelieving biographical details, there was a guy called Runnymede on here back in the golden years, who questioned the most mundane of personal experiences shared by other posters.

You could say, “a few weekends ago I visited a pub in Ealing” or “last Tuesday I went to a cobblers in Kingsbury”, and he’d accuse you of making it all up.

You are making it up...
    It was such an outrageous story. You rumbled me!
  • Options

[I had this dream where]
    Juncker has left and the new commission has not been appointed

What, why??? The EU isn't Belgium...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well he's right, but I'd not trust a snake like Hunt any further than I could throw him.

I’d say the last thing we need is a No Deal Brexit!

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

Irrelevant. There will be no no deal.
  • Options

No Deal being fine is reliant on Chris Grayling making sure things run smoothly. Yeah, think on that.

Plus it is Leavers engaging in Project Fear.

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1095272315569483776
  • Options
    Foxy said:

_Anazina_ said:

Foxy said:

They outwitted Leicester City a couple of weeks ago though.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Brexit paralysis via extension doesn't prevent that, not in the way many are treating extension as a solution in itself.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Scott_P said:

there's a danger Leave won the battle in 2016 but ultimately lost the war.

Success equals performance minus expectation.

BoZo knew that the day after the vote :smile:
    Indeed. Boris and Gove looked positively funereal at the "victory" press conference on 27 June. They knew they could not deliver what had been promised.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    edited February 2019
    Foxy said:

_Anazina_ said:

Foxy said:

Since Ole took over

Man Utd - 9 - 8 - 1 - 0 - 23 - 6 - 17 - 25
    Liverpool - 9 - 6 - 2 - 1 - 22 - 8 - 14 - 20
    Spurs - 8 - 6 - 0 - 2 - 20 - 8 - 12 - 18
    Man City - 9 - 6 - 0 - 3 - 20 -10 -10 - 18
    Arsenal - 9 - 5 - 1 - 3 - 16 -14 - 2 - 16
    Watford - 9 - 3 - 4 - 2 - 11 - 9 - 2 - 13
  • Options

Foxy said:

_Anazina_ said:

Foxy said:

They outwitted Leicester City a couple of weeks ago though.
    Sure, our tendency to leak an early goal caused our 1 nil loss, but they could barely manage another shot on target. Apart from Pogba, De Gea and Matic, they looked bog standard, and tactically poor. I was at the game, and could see the players were confused about what to do.

Mind you Puels methods are beginning to bear fruit. We did the same to Loverpool and Spurs. We are losing by fine margins, like the Leicester Team of 14-15, it won't take a lot of improvement to be winning by fine margins. Leicester will learn to love Puel.

• Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Pulpstar said:

Bloody hell you lot; this is one loss !
    Obviously doing too well as a PL manager is a terrible thing, best to aim for consistent "never quite made it to the top, but doing ok" like Moyes at Everton.

Simple fact is Man United don't have as good a team as PSG at the moment.

One loss that almost certainly puts them out of the Champions’ League. PSG are a good team but United weren’t at their best tonight - far from it.
    Time to back Man Utd for the FA Cup perhaps, if they are to be free of other distractions.
  • Options

And one of those is the Faroe Islands. No disrespect to the Faroes but it's not going to be a big slice of our trade is it?

It could be...
  • Options
    Just read the Olly Robbins story. Apart from the tortured - and unethical - “I overheard a bloke in the pub” angle, er...

...so what?

May isn’t going to drive the country off a cliff to No Deal, if she has an option to extend. Why would she? Robbins doesn’t appear to me to be saying anything particularly spectacular.
  • Options

Reposting ... would be genuinely interested in what people think:

‪I am a humble B2B journalist of some 27 years standing. I would be very uneasy running a story about the contents of what was clearly a private conversation occuring in a bar at the end of a long day. It doesn’t seem right to me. Maybe that’s why I’m B2B!!‬

You are quite correct, it isn't right to report a half-overheard private conversation like that, especially in a case like this where it's about exact nuances.
  • Options

there may just physically not be enough, anywhere near enough, things that can go wrong, even in the worst case scenario, to fulfill their luridly painted predictions.

Ah, you have made the classic mistake of grossly underestimating Chris Grayling.

From bean to cup, he fucks up.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

You cannot yet conceive just how many things will go wrong with him in post.

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1095374079782281216
  • Options

Indeed. Boris and Gove looked positively funereal at the "victory" press conference on 27 June. They knew they could not deliver what had been promised.

https://twitter.com/brianspanner1/status/746488316510482433?lang=en
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The political declaration isn’t legally binding so it’s irrelevant what that says re future customs arrangements .

It’s likely May will step down in the summer to be replaced by a hardline Brexiteer who will ditch the political declaration anyway .

That’s why any assurances by May about workers rights etc are worthless . Any Labour MP buying into her faux concern for workers needs their head tested .

If only March 29 was the end of this fiasco . Brexit and its fall out will go on and on .

And the chaos in the UK over the last two years is a good example to other EU nations of what to expect if any other country decides to go down this route .

UK negotiators have failed because they stupidly ignored that Brexit was a political project and yet expected the EU to view the negotiations in a different way .

The EU has never been just about economics , and that’s in a sense why we got to the Leave vote but it’s the very thing that also stops the EU from doing what’s just in their economic interest .

UK politicians fail to understand that Tusks emotional outbursts over the last few years come from his total belief in the EU project , just as those on the other side of the debate in the UK passionately believe in leaving .

You either get it or you don’t . I get Tusk because I get the EU , imperfect but at its heart a positive force .

Every time I cross a different border in the EU and see those stars welcoming me to another wonderful EU country I smile .

And every time I hear Ode To Joy my spirits soar .

Hopefully one day in the near future the UK returns to its place at the heart of Europe. Until then so long UK .

You annoyed the hell out of the rest of the EU but you will be missed .
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

there may just physically not be enough, anywhere near enough, things that can go wrong, even in the worst case scenario, to fulfill their luridly painted predictions.

Ah, you have made the classic mistake of grossly underestimating Chris Grayling.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

The £800,000 claim is crap
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Actually that doesn't look too bad. The only one of any importance which is 'significantly off track' is Morocco, which could be a useful alternative source for some agricultural produce we currently get from the southern EU countries. Japan is obviously very important but is so new that we're not losing anything compared with what we're used to.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Scott_P said:

It could be...
    The UN should totally vote on whether to force the country in question to officially change its name to, "No Disrespect to the Faroe Islands But." Constantly disrepected, in football and in trade negotiations.
  • Options
    Awb683Awb683 Posts: 80
    May's deal is Brexit in Name only but if she runs the clock right down then I'm happy with No Deal.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Actually that doesn't look too bad. The only one of any importance which is 'significantly off track' is Morocco, which could be a useful alternative source for some agricultural produce we currently get from the southern EU countries. Japan is obviously very important but is so new that we're not losing anything compared with what we're used to.
    The analysis I saw was that 11 countries out of 55 accounted for 90%+ of the trade doen by all 55 countries. It is those 11 that Fox should be concentrating on.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Brexit paralysis via extension doesn't prevent that, not in the way many are treating extension as a solution in itself.
    One extension isn't a solution, but an indefinite chain of them is...
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:

And you could add to that tweet:

X The government are being sued by Eurotunnel over the way the contract was awarded.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1085815/brexit-news-eurotunnel-government-sued-ferry-contracts-brexit-latest-seaborne-freight
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The analysis I saw was that 11 countries out of 55 accounted for 90%+ of the trade doen by all 55 countries. It is those 11 that Fox should be concentrating on.
    How many of those 11 are in the EU?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    nico67 said:

The political declaration isn’t legally binding so it’s irrelevant what that says re future customs arrangements .

It’s likely May will step down in the summer to be replaced by a hardline Brexiteer who will ditch the political declaration anyway .

That’s why any assurances by May about workers rights etc are worthless . Any Labour MP buying into her faux concern for workers needs their head tested .

If only March 29 was the end of this fiasco . Brexit and its fall out will go on and on .

And the chaos in the UK over the last two years is a good example to other EU nations of what to expect if any other country decides to go down this route .

UK negotiators have failed because they stupidly ignored that Brexit was a political project and yet expected the EU to view the negotiations in a different way .

The EU has never been just about economics , and that’s in a sense why we got to the Leave vote but it’s the very thing that also stops the EU from doing what’s just in their economic interest .

UK politicians fail to understand that Tusks emotional outbursts over the last few years come from his total belief in the EU project , just as those on the other side of the debate in the UK passionately believe in leaving .

You either get it or you don’t . I get Tusk because I get the EU , imperfect but at its heart a positive force .

Every time I cross a different border in the EU and see those stars welcoming me to another wonderful EU country I smile .

Hopefully one day in the near future the UK returns to its place at the heart of Europe. Until then so long UK .

Yes very funny that the Leavers told us all that it wasn't about the economics but was more important than that and yet we approached the negotiations as though it was only about economics and that the German carmakers, driven by economic concerns, would force the EU to abandon their political ideals.
  • Options
    May's surveillance state has gone too far.

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1095454184953008128?s=19
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

One extension isn't a solution, but an indefinite chain of them is...
    Indeed a temporary extension to 2064 would be welcome.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    None.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Scott_P said:

X The government are being sued by Eurotunnel over the way the contract was awarded.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1085815/brexit-news-eurotunnel-government-sued-ferry-contracts-brexit-latest-seaborne-freight
    What's Eurotunnel's loss?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794

Clip clop, clip clop
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    The bit that seems to me to have been overlooked is that demanding a long extension without any particular plan for what to do with it will not get EU agreement. A short extension to tidy up an agreement, certainly. A long extension to hold a referendum or a GE or try some completely different track, maybe. But a few months to kick the can? Nah.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Scott_P said:

It could be...
    The UN should totally vote on whether to force the country in question to officially change its name to, "No Disrespect to the Faroe Islands But." Constantly disrepected, in football and in trade negotiations.
    The Faroes Islands show that it's possible for a European country to exist outside the EU; Britain can be the new Faroes!
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Scott_P said:

Apparently they wanted to supply the ferries (!)
  • Options

Endillion said:

Scott_P said:

It could be...
    The Faroes Islands show that it's possible for a European country to exist outside the EU; Britain can be the new Faroes!
    A treeless bleak windswept archipelago, where the main sport is slaughtering trapped whales?

Sounds a step up from the proposed No Deal Brexit Zombie Apocalypse.
  • Options

The bit that seems to me to have been overlooked is that demanding a long extension without any particular plan for what to do with it will not get EU agreement. A short extension to tidy up an agreement, certainly. A long extension to hold a referendum or a GE or try some completely different track, maybe. But a few months to kick the can? Nah.

Can we theoretically just revoke it then reinvoke it at a point of our own choosing?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Endillion said:

Scott_P said:

Apparently they wanted to supply the ferries (!)
    I guess that the contract sought tenders for cross channel freight movements and so Eurotunnel could have put in a bid?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    None.
    So not our major trading partner?

• Options

Endillion said:

Scott_P said:

It could be...

Well [‘no offence to the Faroes’] it’s an improvement on Philip Thompson’s billing last night - “Brexit won’t be as bad as WW1”
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019

Scott_P said:

None, and in any case there's a clear argument that the urgency justifies the accelerated process. Looks like a waste of legal fees to me.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    _Anazina_ said:

Can we theoretically just revoke it then reinvoke it at a point of our own choosing?
    I think so. But any remaining goodwill would terminally evaporate - they'd think we were taking the piss.
  • Options

I know everybody's saying that and I hate to be the "the EU are bluffing" guy since that guy is always wrong, but I wonder if that will really hold. We're looking at all kinds of disruption and real-world damage. The damage *mainly* applies to the UK, but it also applies to people and businesses from every member state. If the UK request an extension, and allowing it would make the problem go away for a while, and possibly even end up with it getting solved somehow, why wouldn't you?

Imagine it's the day before Brexit Day. What's the national interest that's protected, or the principle that's defended, by making the UK crash out tomorrow?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

None, and in any case there's a clear argument that the urgency justifies the accelerated process. Looks like a waste of legal fees to me.
    Worth it for the PR
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    None.

Liam Fox is not negotiating our deal with the EU that is May, Fox has been asked to grandfather or replicate the deals that the EU has with the rest of the world.
    He may be crap but at least lets not say he is crap because of something he has not been asked to do.
  • Options

It wouldn't be to kick the can, it would be one prong of a two-prong offensive to force MPs to sign up to the deal. As such it makes pretty good sense for both the UK government and the EU.
  • Options

Worth it for the PR

Maybe. It costs very little to get a lawyer to write a letter, and I expect that we won't hear any more about it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    edited February 2019
    O/T

Nicholas Grimshaw making a complete fool of himself on Newsnight.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

I think so. But any remaining goodwill would terminally evaporate - they'd think we were taking the piss.
    And they'd be right.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    O/T Got a regular sales email from Cunard today. I notice they have started putting in this attempted soother about Brexit:

Peace of mind.
    Cunard welcomes the latest guidance from the UK government on passenger travel to the EU, that irrespective of the Brexit outcome cruise operations will continue on the same basis as today. As a trusted international British brand, we'd like to reassure all guests booking with Cunard that we will continue to offer peace of mind to everyone holidaying with us.

I wonder how hard their sales are currently being hit?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    None.

Liam Fox is not negotiating our deal with the EU that is May, Fox has been asked to grandfather or replicate the deals that the EU has with the rest of the world.
    He may be crap but at least lets not say he is crap because of something he has not been asked to do.
    Good thing that he has the Palestinian Authority in the bag next to the Faeroes.

Though I think these done deals just replicate current EU deals, not "improve" upon them.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    Interesting article (£):

"Winston Churchill was a racist but still a great man

Daniel Finkelstein

It’s right to re-examine historical figures but acknowledging their flaws shouldn’t prevent them being seen as heroes"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/churchill-was-a-racist-but-still-a-great-man-vnhkhfnpm
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    None.

Good thing that he has the Palestinian Authority in the bag next to the Faeroes.

Though I think these done deals just replicate current EU deals, not "improve" upon them.
    That is correct because the Govt did not want to antagonise the EU by negotiating new deals so all they could do was say lets grandfather or replicate.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,129
    edited February 2019

It wouldn't be to kick the can, it would be one prong of a two-prong offensive to force MPs to sign up to the deal. As such it makes pretty good sense for both the UK government and the EU.
    Doesn't the two-pronged offensive suffer from the same fatal defect that's dogged her efforts all along?

She's got to simultaneously convince Leavers that she's going to extend, and Remainers that she's going to No Deal. How can she do both?

And is the threat of extension really a potent one, unless people think it's going to be the first of a series - which there's no reason to think the EU will allow?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

It hasn't occurred to you that Project Fear was a strategy for securing a Remain result in the referendum, so it's a bit outdated and irrelevant to be detecting it in 2019. It also has occurred to some of the brighter Leavers, apparently not including you, that it is perfectly consistent to be in favour in principle of Brexit in general while admitting that the particular kind of no deal brexit currently facing us is going to be a serious disaster.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    None.

That is correct because the Govt did not want to antagonise the EU by negotiating new deals so all they could do was say lets grandfather or replicate.
    I certainly hope that Brexit Britain replicates the EBA deal that the EU signed with the LDCs of Africa and Asia.

That has been one of the best trade initiatives in recent decades.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Does the two-pronged offensive suffer from the same fatal defect that's dogged her efforts all along?

She's got to simultaneously convince Leavers that she's going to extend, and Remainers that she's going to No Deal. How can she do both?

And is the threat of extension really a potent one, unless people think it's going to be the first of a series - which there's no reason to think the EU will allow?

I think it might not suffer from that problem. The proposal would be: 'We've run out of time. We need an extension to avoid total chaos in a few days' time, but the extension is only available if we sign up to the deal on offer.'

The complicating factor is that the government won't be the only one manoeuvring. The Yvette Cooper amendment is designed to provide a Revoke alternative to No Deal (effectively). However, it has some tricky procedural hurdles to overcome even if the initial amendment is passed (which I think it will be, with more Tory realists switching over, unless there's some other breakthrough in the meantime).
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    A
    B
    Y
    S
    MAY
    A
    L
  • Options
    Chris said:

This is where her cunning plan of appearing completely batshit insane comes into play.

Neither side can reliably predict what she will do at any point, so they can both continue to believe in their particular unicorns for another 2 weeks
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Chris said:

This is where her cunning plan of appearing completely batshit insane comes into play.

Neither side can reliably predict what she will do at any point, so they can both continue to believe in their particular unicorns for another 2 weeks
    We can reliably predict she will always choose to do nothing, over something.
  • Options
    Anyone got any idea why the FSTE is holding up so well, given all the Brexit uncertainty?

I can't think it's the prospect of bright sunlit uplands.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,129

Chris said:

Does the two-pronged offensive suffer from the same fatal defect that's dogged her efforts all along?

I think it might not suffer from that problem. The proposal would be: 'We've run out of time. We need an extension to avoid total chaos in a few days' time, but the extension is only available if we sign up to the deal on offer.'

The complicating factor is that the government won't be the only one manoeuvring. The Yvette Cooper amendment is designed to provide a Revoke alternative to No Deal (effectively). However, it has some tricky procedural hurdles to overcome even if the initial amendment is passed (which I think it will be, with more Tory realists switching over, unless there's some other breakthrough in the meantime).
    Sorry, I must have misunderstand what the two-pronged offensive was.

What you describe is what I'd been assuming would be the strategy - no extension unless the deal is passed.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    Jonathan said:

A
    B
    Y
    S
    MAY
    A
    L

You spelled “abyss” wrong.
  • Options

Anyone got any idea why the FSTE is holding up so well, given all the Brexit uncertainty?

Well, the outlook for the FTSE100 is probably fairly Brexit neutral overall. If we crash out in chaos, the pound will collapse and all those foreign earnings will be worth more in sterling terms. Conversely if some kind of sensible transition is agreed (let alone revocation or delay for a referendum), the pound will rise but that will be offset by a big surge of relief and renewed confidence in the UK market. For that reason, my personal view is that FTSE100 trackers (which I wouldn't normally invest in, because the FTSE100 is such a bizarre, unbalanced, and over-concentrated index) are rather attractive at the moment.

For the smaller companies, more tied to the UK economy, the outlook is binary: crash out bad, deal or delay or revocation good. The market price is the weighted average of the two outcomes (overlaid of course on other factors). It's a risky play investing in the UK economy, but it could be a very profitable one if we don't crash out.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

We will replace their models with Seat Exeo's and Skoda Superbs, and Hyundai's and Kia's.

The ability to use an apostrophe has definitely supplanted BMI as the most statistically reliable indicator of Leave/Remain proclivity.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Sorry, I must have misunderstand what the two-pronged offensive was.

What you describe is what I'd been assuming would be the strategy - no extension unless the deal is passed.
    Yes, that's what I meant by the two prongs. I should have made that clearer.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

If seeing a flag and hearing a bit of Beethoven (and by no means his best bit) makes your heart soar then you desperately need to get a life...or get laid... or anything that actually means something.

It is the equivalent of admitting you get a hard on from seeing a party political broadcast.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The ability to use an apostrophe has definitely supplanted BMI as the most statistically reliable indicator of Leave/Remain proclivity.
    Oh silly me, I thought it was the ability to string as many four letter words into one post as possible, so demonstrating a level of immaturity.
  • Options

nico67 said:

If seeing a flag and hearing a bit of Beethoven (and by no means his best bit) makes your heart soar then you desperately need to get a life...or get laid... or anything that actually means something.

It is the equivalent of admitting you get a hard on from seeing a party political broadcast.
    More seriously, no one who has watched the three excellent programmes on the ten years of EU crisis and has seen the utterly shameful and disgusting attitude the EU leaders have towards democracy should be in any doubt that the EU is a force for evil, not good.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

:lol:

Brexit mean's Brexit!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Well, it has the benefit of honesty, unlike many of the other options being presented.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Well, it has the benefit of honesty, unlike many of the other options being presented.
    Yes, and to be fair to the SNP they voted against the referendum and against triggering Article 50, so (unlike Labour) they've been consistent.
  • Options

Well, the outlook for the FTSE100 is probably fairly Brexit neutral overall. If we crash out in chaos, the pound will collapse and all those foreign earnings will be worth more in sterling terms. Conversely if some kind of sensible transition is agreed (let alone revocation or delay for a referendum), the pound will rise but that will be offset by a big surge of relief and renewed confidence in the UK market. For that reason, my personal view is that FTSE100 trackers (which I wouldn't normally invest in, because the FTSE100 is such a bizarre, unbalanced, and over-concentrated index) are rather attractive at the moment.

For the smaller companies, more tied to the UK economy, the outlook is binary: crash out bad, deal or delay or revocation good. The market price is the weighted average of the two outcomes (overlaid of course on other factors). It's a risky play investing in the UK economy, but it could be a very profitable one if we don't crash out.
    Thank you, makes sense.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Dura_Ace said:

Interesting. You have an antipathy for Leavers who are slapdash with their punctuation. Fair enough. It may seem pedantic to some, but it is important to you. Your call.

Except... you wrote THIS in January.

"Probably... May deposed and A50 revoked or at the very least delayed. What we lotophagi of pb.com often forget is how wildly popular No Deal will be among the belligerent shit munchers of the north who smoke cigarettes and have clothes with writing on it."

So you don't just believe some Leaver PB-ers are a bit cavalier with their semi-colons. You believe your fellow Britons - millions of them - who voted Leave, and who come from the north - literally eat human feces. They are "shit eaters". And you support this with the clinching evidence that they smoke cigarettes and have "clothes with writing on it".

I suggest you are a virulent, anti-white racist snob. You are a fucking disgrace to this site and the best thing you can do is apologise, grovel, then leave the site and never return.
    I disagree - @Dura_Ace is one of the more interesting and often witty PB posters and certainly nowhere near as offensive as a fully tanked-up SeanT.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794
    Anyhoo, while I'm here, a quick question. Do we think the probability of Leaving on time has increased or decreased due to this news?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    SeanT said:

Dura_Ace said:

Interesting. You have an antipathy for Leavers who are slapdash with their punctuation. Fair enough. It may seem pedantic to some, but it is important to you. Your call.

"Probably... May deposed and A50 revoked or at the very least delayed. What we lotophagi of pb.com often forget is how wildly popular No Deal will be among the belligerent shit munchers of the north who smoke cigarettes and have clothes with writing on it."

So you don't just believe some Leaver PB-ers are a bit cavalier with their semi-colons. You believe your fellow Britons - millions of them - who voted Leave, and who come from the north - literally eat human feces. They are "shit eaters". And you support this with the clinching evidence that they smoke cigarettes and have "clothes with writing on it".

I suggest you are a virulent, anti-white racist snob. You are a fucking disgrace to this site and the best thing you can do is apologise, grovel, then leave the site and never return.
    Bravo
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Anyhoo, while I'm here, a quick question. Do we think the probability of Leaving on time has increased or decreased due to this news?

Which news?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    SeanT said:

That's pretty good. You should nick it for one of your books.
  • Options

The FTSE small cap and FTSE 250 have more UK companies and have followed a similar curve. Down a bit over recent months, but up over 2 years. It is a combination of foreign earnings, Sterling depreciation, bravado about a Deal, and genuine value searching.

Mostly though it is because people have to put their money somewhere. Interest rates are still on the floor, and housing bubble looks likely to deflate, so equities dont look so bad. My own are in a mixture of cash, defensive stocks and a few companies resilient to Brexit. I followed a similar strategy in Spring 2016, and bought back some of my more volatile stocks during the dip. I did pretty well.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    SeanT said:

Dura_Ace said:

I am from the north , I don’t eat shit , I don’t smoke and I don’t wear clothes with writing on , but I voted leave , mainly because people like Dura Ace irritate the shit out of me
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

SeanT said:

Dura_Ace said:

I disagree - @Dura_Ace is one of the more interesting and often witty PB posters and certainly nowhere near as offensive as a fully tanked-up SeanT.
    Dura is entertaining and SeanT should be one of the last posters to accuse others of being racist.
This discussion has been closed.