Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » I’m not convinced the Tories are going to let TMay fight a sec

Comments

• Options
    Scott_P said:

You planning to be at the Festival this year?

Yes, Wednesday.
    See you in the Centaur. Guinness ok?
  • Options
    Someone take the shovel away from Nadine Dorries.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Not even Chris Eubank looks like Chris Eubank. He's a one off.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Lol! The Sir Humphrey remark about not believing anything until it is officially denied.....

Tell me OGH is on holiday in June...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

notme2 said:

From the Huffington blog:

"Meanwhile, Nick Boles is facing the real threat of deselection by local party activists furious with his claim that he could resign the party whip in the event of a no-deal. The Times reports Boles is unfazed: “If they decide to kick me out of the Conservative Party, so be it.” Next week his local party will ask him to declare within 21 days whether he will seek “re-adoption” as its parliamentary candidate. His constituency chairman Philip Sagar said: “People want somebody who’s not in Notting Hill, who’ll turn up locally and reflect its views. They feel he’s not one of us.”

Interesting that for all the talk of deselecting Labour MPs, nothing as concrete as this has actually happened (yet).

I've litte sympathy for people who stood on a platform to leave doing their darnest to stop us leaving. Not sure if Boles fits that. He wants a single market and customs union option. If he explains that to his constituents he'll be fine.

We voted to leave, but it is for parliament to honour that literal result, but how we leave, the time scale and the softness/hardness is for our representatives to use their judgement for.
    I agree. As long as Boles supports some form of leave then he has fulfilled his obligation and promise to his constituents. What form that Leave takes should be entirely a matter for his own conscience unless he has claimed in the past (by which I mean at a time that might influence his election) that he favours No Deal.

As long as he does not prevent us leaving he should not be attacked for his position by his own constituency party.

If he does vote against us leaving in the end then he deserves all he gets.
    I'm actually unsure of that. If you feel No Deal is going to be an utter disaster surely it's perfectly legitimate to vote for anything that isn't No Deal - which does appear to be what Boles is doing..
  • Options

Someone take the shovel away from Nadine Dorries.

The rate Nadine digs, gotta be a JCB not a shovel.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    "Theresa May will visit Northern Ireland tomorrow where she will give a speech stressing the government’s commitment to avoiding a hard border, the prime minister’s spokesman said."

What is it with Theresa May that she thinks everything can be fixed by her turning up and giving a speech? It's like the countless times that lectern has been wheeled out at 10 Downing Street.

Hint to Mrs May: you're no Barack Obama.
  • Options

notme2 said:

"Meanwhile, Nick Boles is facing the real threat of deselection by local party activists furious with his claim that he could resign the party whip in the event of a no-deal. The Times reports Boles is unfazed: “If they decide to kick me out of the Conservative Party, so be it.” Next week his local party will ask him to declare within 21 days whether he will seek “re-adoption” as its parliamentary candidate. His constituency chairman Philip Sagar said: “People want somebody who’s not in Notting Hill, who’ll turn up locally and reflect its views. They feel he’s not one of us.”

Interesting that for all the talk of deselecting Labour MPs, nothing as concrete as this has actually happened (yet).

I've litte sympathy for people who stood on a platform to leave doing their darnest to stop us leaving. Not sure if Boles fits that. He wants a single market and customs union option. If he explains that to his constituents he'll be fine.

We voted to leave, but it is for parliament to honour that literal result, but how we leave, the time scale and the softness/hardness is for our representatives to use their judgement for.
    I agree. As long as Boles supports some form of leave then he has fulfilled his obligation and promise to his constituents. What form that Leave takes should be entirely a matter for his own conscience unless he has claimed in the past (by which I mean at a time that might influence his election) that he favours No Deal.

As long as he does not prevent us leaving he should not be attacked for his position by his own constituency party.

Well even that's a bit harsh, but understandable, I suppose.

Kate Hoey's position intrigues me. She's a highly regarded MP but her Brexit views are way out of line with her constituents.

And what about Ken Clarke - surely his constituency is majority leave?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

See you in the Centaur. Guinness ok?

Absolutely!
  • Options
    felix said:

Readers, he does not in fact look like Chris Eubank.

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/321618304567488512

Bizarre...Chuka looks nothing like Eubank Snr or Jnr.
    TBF I think there are resemblances. But really who cares? Poor eyesight is not racism. There are much better things to criticise Nadine for than rrrraaaaccciiisssmmm.
    Why is this 2013 tweet suddenly current? Has she said it again?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Lol! The Sir Humphrey remark about not believing anything until it is officially denied.....

If we can get hold of his holiday schedule we can make a killing on Betfair. Anybody got his wife's mobile number?
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

felix said:

TBF I think there are resemblances. But really who cares? Poor eyesight is not racism. There are much better things to criticise Nadine for than rrrraaaaccciiisssmmm.
    She mixed up Ash Shakar and Faizi Shaheen earlier today
  • Options

notme2 said:

Kate Hoey's position intrigues me. She's a highly regarded MP but her Brexit views are way out of line with her constituents.

No Rushcliffe is remain.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Not even Chris Eubank looks like Chris Eubank. He's a one off.

Except there are two of him.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019
    eek said:

I'm actually unsure of that. If you feel No Deal is going to be an utter disaster surely it's perfectly legitimate to vote for anything that isn't No Deal - which does appear to be what Boles is doing..

Indeed so. The fact that the nutjob Brexiteers have sabotaged the prospect of an orderly Brexit (in an unholy collaboration with Corbyn) means there is now a new situation, completely unexpected when the referendum was called, or when Article 50 was triggered, or when GE2017 was held. Clearly crashing out in chaos is so completely out of the question that if nothing else can be agreed by parliament, the commitment to respect the referendum result has to fall away.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    Nigelb said:

Would I be imbecilist if I said Dorries is an imbecile ?

People do have common characteristics, and its not unusual for people of different groups to confuse easily. As speaking as someone who was married to a black woman for fifteen years, i can tell you that chuka looks very little like Eubank. A bit of self awareness from mad Nad though would mean her keeping thoughts like that to herself.
  • Options
    Anyway Clarke is a legend, and he's not planning another stint, so why deselect now?

I guess if there is a June GE, then he might give it another whirl.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

eek said:

Indeed so. The fact that the nutjob Brexiteers have sabotaged the prospect of an orderly Brexit (in an unholy collaboration with Corbyn) means there is now a new situation, completely unexpected when the referendum was called, or when Article 50 was triggered, or when GE2017 was held. Clearly crashing out in chaos is so completely out of the question that if nothing else can be agreed by parliament, the commitment to respect the referendum result has to fall away.
    sensible post
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I need to go and get on but I thought that this was vastly more interesting than the other tedium on the Today program today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47110934

Basically a deal between the GMB and Hermes which gives a lot of the rights that gig economy workers frequently lack. Well done to the GMB. This strikes me as a really useful way of making unions relevant to the private sector in this century. I hope it sets a precedent and indeed a model for any future regulation of the sector.

Yes, strong unions are needed more in the private sector than they are in the public sector.

Whereas what we have is the opposite.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Completely off topic, if anyone is looking for a really exciting Young Adult book (that can also be read by adults...) then can I recommend Six of Crows. It's set in a steampunk version of Amsterdam, and is a thoroughly enjoyable romp. (At least, I couldn't put it down...)
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

notme2 said:

But he still stood on a Manifesto that pledged no CU. As did all Tory MPs.

Backtrack on that and they are screwed.
    I dont think they are. You change as circumstances change. Leave means leave, and we are leaving. Details is for the headbangers and the dedicated,
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's funny you should mention it, but he was planning on visiting me in California.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

It's funny you should mention it, but he was planning on visiting me in California.
    Paging Brenda.....
  • Options

felix said:

Well I know who Ash is, since the BBC, in its infinite wisdom, gives her so much airtime, as a virtual spokesperson for Jezza, despite actually working for Novora media.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Fill your boots guys, it's June!!!!
  • Options

felix said:

To be fair, I have absolutely no idea who either of those people are.
  • Options

notme2 said:

No Rushcliffe is remain.
    Didn't know that. He has his constituents well-trained then?
  • Options
    I seem to recall telling everyone to prepare for a May election about six months ago.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Ditto. Should I?

More to the point - should she?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    notme2 said:

notme2 said:

But he still stood on a Manifesto that pledged no CU. As did all Tory MPs.

Backtrack on that and they are screwed.
    I dont think they are. You change as circumstances change. Leave means leave, and we are leaving. Details is for the headbangers and the dedicated,
    I’m not convinced. Boles proposal AIUI allows for continued and on going payment s to EU and continued freedom of movement. I think you may struggle explaining Brexit in those terms, although I know they were mentioned in the campaign by Leavers.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited February 2019

felix said:

Ha, missed that, thought it was concurrent with today's tomfoolery. Don't remember it from the first time round, so that's a bonus.

Nice to see that she's consistent in her outlook.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2019

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Ditto. Should I?

You should know who Ash Sarkar. She is a self "confessed" literal communist that is one of the biggest supporters of Project Jezza and works for fake news outlet Novara Media.

BBC and Sky have her on loads as the representative of the youth attitude towards Jezza.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,001

"Theresa May will visit Northern Ireland tomorrow where she will give a speech stressing the government’s commitment to avoiding a hard border, the prime minister’s spokesman said."

What is it with Theresa May that she thinks everything can be fixed by her turning up and giving a speech? It's like the countless times that lectern has been wheeled out at 10 Downing Street.

I wonder what good she imagines this will do. She is so dishonest and despised she'd be better off never going outdoors.
  • Options

notme2 said:

No Rushcliffe is remain.
    Didn't know that. He has his constituents well-trained then?
    Maybe having an MP who actually says positive things about the EU and has repeatedly for decades makes a difference.

Also, Rushcliffe includes the leafy suburb of West Brigdford (Trent cricket ground area). I would guess this is pretty Remainy territory.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    edited February 2019

Deleted.
  • Options

I hope she isn't, as not sure they want to here they are back of the queue.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Ditto. Should I?

You should know who Ash Sarkar. She is a self "confessed" literal communist that is one of the biggest supporters of Project Jezza and works for fake news outlet Novara Media.

BBC and Sky have her on loads as the representative of the youth attitude towards Jezza.
    It is interesting that whenever someone has a pop at Jezza for being an out and out Marxist, we get some waffle about democratic socialism, and yet actual communists are all for him.

• Options
    DavidL said:

"I should add that my predictions in the past on TMay calling early general elections have been wrong. I was as taken aback as anybody by her announcement in April 2017."

Oh the price of being rational.

When you keep your head when every one about you is losing theirs, maybe you don’t understand the situation. ;)
  • Options

felix said:

Well I know who Ash is, since the BBC, in its infinite wisdom, gives her so much airtime, as a virtual spokesperson for Jezza, despite actually working for Novora media.
    The BBC probably thought it had to at least give a hint towards being unbiased in its coverage, so we get the occasional person who doesn't mind Labour in between all the Tories...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

They have roundish faces and are similar races...like David Cameron looks like Christopher Biggins then.
    but knows less about politics, it turns out.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

felix said:

The BBC probably thought it had to at least give a hint towards being unbiased in its coverage, so we get the occasional person who doesn't mind Labour in between all the Tories...
    What are you talking about, Owen Jones is on seemingly every day. And at least he doesn't work for a fake news outlet that said only the wrong kind of Asians voted for Brexit, between peddling all sorts of conspiracy theories.

I remember when the left was represented by the likes of Will Straw from Left Foot Forward. At least his analysis was based in fact.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    dixiedean said:

Deleted.
    Or David Cameron and Iggle Piggle

https://politiciansandmuppets.weebly.com
  • Options

dixiedean said:

They have roundish faces and are similar races...like David Cameron looks like Christopher Biggins then.
    but knows less about politics, it turns out.
    Both are bald too.

If she'd chosen Samuel L Jackson as the comparison there'd probably be fewer complaints.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,783
    rcs1000 said:

Completely off topic, if anyone is looking for a really exciting Young Adult book (that can also be read by adults...) then can I recommend Six of Crows. It's set in a steampunk version of Amsterdam, and is a thoroughly enjoyable romp. (At least, I couldn't put it down...)

I try to avoid YA novels. As an adult it's a bit weird, but the upside is you can ignore everything Brandon Sanderson or Ernest Cline writes. So swings and roundabouts then... :)
  • Options

felix said:

What are you talking about, Owen Jones is on seemingly every day. And at least he doesn't work for a fake news outlet that said only the wrong kind of Asians voted for Brexit.
    I'm not sure someone who posts guido links can really complain about Novara Media..... Also the BBC is usually right wingers, Alex Nunn did a good thread on the Daily Politics show (back when it was on) and the make up of its media panel, usually two right wingers and then a centrist or left winger. From Andrew Neil to Nick Robinson most of its political figures are right wingers. Outside of that then you get some New Labour types that are as hostile to the current Labour party as the Conservatives.

Given 40% of the population voted Labour in GE'17 the BBC couldn't really keep up a policy of blocking out that viewpoint or judging it without any supportive voices.
  • Options

DavidL said:

"I should add that my predictions in the past on TMay calling early general elections have been wrong. I was as taken aback as anybody by her announcement in April 2017."

Oh the price of being rational.

When you keep your head when every one about you is losing theirs, maybe you don’t understand the situation. ;)
    My favourite GoT quote: "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention..."
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,618
    rcs1000 said:

It's quite good; the sequel was poor.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

I try to avoid YA novels. As an adult it's a bit weird, but the upside is you can ignore everything Brandon Sanderson or Ernest Cline writes. So swings and roundabouts then... :)
    I thought Brandon Sanderson was more Fantasy than YA. Plus he finished the epic Wheel of Time series after Robert Jordan passed away which I think is a must read series for any fan of the genre.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

It's quite good; the sequel was poor.
    Don't tell me that! I've just started on the sequel :)
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Both are bald too.

If she'd chosen Samuel L Jackson as the comparison there'd probably be fewer complaints.

World's Coolest Man. Never heard anyone dissent from that view.

Chuka is only Coolest Man in parliament - which is not ultra competitive.
  • Options

felix said:

What are you talking about, Owen Jones is on seemingly every day. And at least he doesn't work for a fake news outlet that said only the wrong kind of Asians voted for Brexit.
    I'm not sure someone who posts guido links can really complain about Novara Media..... Also the BBC is usually right wingers, Alex Nunn did a good thread on the Daily Politics show (back when it was on) and the make up of its media panel, usually two right wingers and then a centrist or left winger. From Andrew Neil to Nick Robinson most of its political figures are right wingers. Outside of that then you get some New Labour types that are as hostile to the current Labour party as the Conservatives.

Given 40% of the population voted Labour in GE'17 the BBC couldn't really keep up a policy of blocking out that viewpoint or judging it without any supportive voices.
    Is Nick Robinson really that right wing?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited February 2019
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Believing the Tories lost the election because of bad campaigning is a marketing claim too far.

She lost the election because she was seen to be a fanatical Leaver.

The only way Tory and neutral Remainers could register their disgust was to vote Corbyn.

I don't think anyone, anywhere has seen May as a fanatical leaver!
    The only message that was heard from her campaign was "BREXIT MEANS BREXIT", Day after miserable day. Week after miserable week....

That sounded like fanaticism.

In reality Brexit was not at all at the centre of the 2017 campaign from the middle of May. Nor would it be likely to be so in any election held this year - people are sick to death of it and would happily respond to attempts to move on to other issues.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,125
    Isn't it completely obvious that such words are offensive not because of their etymology, but because of how they have been used in the past?

After all, the most offensive racial term of all is just the Latin word for black with a doubled consonant.
  • Options

I suspect Theresa May will want to hang around as long as she can after getting any deal for fear that "her legacy" will be trashed by people realising what a shit deal it was - and trying to walk away from elements of it.

She's like a rogue trader who can never go on holiday for fear their elaborate schemes will unravel.
    Theresa Madoff
  • Options
    edited February 2019

felix said:

If you haven't noticed I post links from all over the place. Happy to post from the reputable left leaning sources like the Guardian, which I do most days. I actually used to enjoy reading Left Foot Forward and linked to that.

But comparison trying to equate the reliability of Order Order vs Novara Media is just utter bullshit.

Staines blog is certainly right wing, certainly partisan, often gossip filled, but has broken big stories and is read across the political spectrum. Novara Media regularly pushes crazy conspiracy theories, akin to Alex Jones, and has been done for fake news.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Compared to Jezziah?

Polly Toynbee is right wing to him.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Some kids books are excellent.
    "A Series of Unfortunate Events" was a masterclass in narrative technique, weapons grade snark, and vocabulary enhancement.
    The author's adult novels, disappointing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nick Robinson's clearly pretty thick, but correlation != causation.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

What are you talking about, Owen Jones is on seemingly every day. And at least he doesn't work for a fake news outlet that said only the wrong kind of Asians voted for Brexit, between peddling all sorts of conspiracy theories.

I remember when the left was represented by the likes of Will Straw from Left Foot Forward. At least his analysis was based in fact.
    Jones writes for the Guardian - plenty of fake news on there.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Deleted.

Unfortunately that selection of politicians who look like muppets includes Chuka Umunna, whose purported resemblance to Fozzie Bear seems to be limited to skin colour.

And how on earth could they leave out Danny Alexander?
  • Options
    On the subject of thicky thick thick Tories, I'm rather enjoying Dan Kawczsvdljnxqki's attempts to steal the hotly-contested crown of "dumbest Tory brexiteer" from Nadine Dorries and Andrew Bridgen.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

He's a (quick look on wiki, he has some connection if not this) former president of Oxford Universities Conservative association. There has also been some back and fore between Conservative staff positions and top BBC positions. I realise some on the right like to complain about the lean of the BBC but any analysis of most of its figures involved in politics would show a significant lean to those who have worked with or supported the Conservative party over any other IMO.

Also in regards to Nadine Dorries it wasn't so much she didn't know who two random people were, she claimed that Ash Shakar was the parliamentary candidate for Chingford Green. Different BAME woman...
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Jones writes for the Guardian - plenty of fake news on there.
    Newsguard, the site that fact-checks, categorises and rates peddlers of fake news have found your claim to be, ah, fake news:

https://api.newsguardtech.com/C65860B40EBC2445059196EC36697EE11FD75A8FCC5B4163DF7ED659F37E41406DB814814B2CD45B0EF4888CE492660E9FAF6F3A20483902?cid=d0e1f430-2d66-4b78-9f50-afcc3a4aa971
  • Options

It does look as if the EU are standing firm until after the 14th Feb debate and votes in the HOC

I can see the logic in that and in the meantime we can all look, in despair, at the nonsense that is the 'Malthouse' plan.

I expect TM will wait until after mid Feb before entering talks in the EU following which she will no doubt re-submit the plan, adjusted or otherwise, and see how many ERG blink and how many labour mps vote for it.

TM is going to need an extension to A50 at least for 3 months and I expect that request to be made sometime in March

I expect the deal will go through by the end of June, just before the EU re-convene in July

Big_,G, if May is seriously planning an extension then March is really far too late. It's less than a month before the deadline, orders will have gone out and it raises the risk that at least one of the 27 won't react in time. This isn't a science fiction movie where you can stop the countdown at one, it's real life.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

If you haven't noticed I post links from all over the place. Happy to post from the reputable left leaning sources like the Guardian, which I do most days. I actually used to enjoy reading Left Foot Forward and linked to that.

But comparison trying to equate the reliability of Order Order vs Novara Media is just utter bullshit.

Staines blog is certainly right wing, certainly partisan, often gossip filled, but has broken big stories and is read across the political spectrum. Novara Media regularly pushes crazy conspiracy theories, akin to Alex Jones, and has been done for fake news.
    You'll be claiming it is as bad as the Daily Mail next....

If you like Guido that's cool but I don't think you can really call out other sites as fake news and conspiracy theories when you link to the Alt right.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Big_,G, if May is seriously planning an extension then March is really far too late. It's less than a month before the deadline, orders will have gone out and it raises the risk that at least one of the 27 won't react in time. This isn't a science fiction movie where you can stop the countdown at one, it's real life.

The next EUCO meeting begins on the 21st March. That would be when any extension would be discussed and voted on.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

"A Series of Unfortunate Events" was a masterclass in narrative technique, weapons grade snark, and vocabulary enhancement.
    I loved that series. (Although rather bizarrely, never read the thirteenth and last book.)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,645
    Chris said:

dixiedean said:

Deleted.

Unfortunately that selection of politicians who look like muppets includes Chuka Umunna, whose purported resemblance to Fozzie Bear seems to be limited to skin colour.

And how on earth could they leave out Danny Alexander?
    Surely the look alike for Umunna should be Dopey from Snow White?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Compared to Jezziah?

Polly Toynbee is right wing to him.
    Calling person who worked (in a voluntarily capacity) for Conservatives right wing does seem rather crazy I realise... Must be because I am sooo left wing....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

I loved that series. (Although rather bizarrely, never read the thirteenth and last book.)
    The Netflix adaptation is pretty damn stellar too. Just finished watching The End on Sunday.

Although I find it somewhat, uh, unfortunate that despite Mr Snicket promising us all the way through that there would be no happy endings, it sadly kinda does.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

I’m not convinced. Boles proposal AIUI allows for continued and on going payment s to EU and continued freedom of movement. I think you may struggle explaining Brexit in those terms, although I know they were mentioned in the campaign by Leavers.

Boles deserves to be deselected because he is unrepresentative of the community he purportedly represents.

Boles lost the marginal seat of Hove, and in fact had a swing against him in 2005. The Tories took it in 2010.

Boles could only ever win a rock solid Tory seat -- he is a lousy campaigner.

Boles has absolutely no connection with Grantham & should not have been selected for the constituency in the first place.

Just as Stephen Kinnock has no connection with Aberavon, and Lembit Opik has no connection with Montgomeryshire.

I have no sympathy wth carpetbaggers.
  • Options

Newsguard, the site that fact-checks, categorises and rates peddlers of fake news have found your claim to be, ah, fake news:

https://api.newsguardtech.com/C65860B40EBC2445059196EC36697EE11FD75A8FCC5B4163DF7ED659F37E41406DB814814B2CD45B0EF4888CE492660E9FAF6F3A20483902?cid=d0e1f430-2d66-4b78-9f50-afcc3a4aa971

'Avoids deceptive headlines'? Really?
  • Options

In general, compared to, say, a UK tabloid, yeah. Though I realise that means grading on a curve.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

It does look as if the EU are standing firm until after the 14th Feb debate and votes in the HOC

I can see the logic in that and in the meantime we can all look, in despair, at the nonsense that is the 'Malthouse' plan.

I expect TM will wait until after mid Feb before entering talks in the EU following which she will no doubt re-submit the plan, adjusted or otherwise, and see how many ERG blink and how many labour mps vote for it.

TM is going to need an extension to A50 at least for 3 months and I expect that request to be made sometime in March

I expect the deal will go through by the end of June, just before the EU re-convene in July

I don't think that's true. Agreeing to an extension doesn't require primary legislation by any of the 27, it requires a meeting where no-one vetoes it.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

If you like Guido that's cool but I don't think you can really call out other sites as fake news and conspiracy theories when you link to the Alt right.

Your attempt at equivalence is just utter utter horseshit. There used to be political scrapbook, that was left leaning version of Staines, again that didn't push conspiracy theories ala Alex Jones / Novara.

As I say, Left Foot Forward, no complaints about that blog, it was actually very good read. Labour List back in the day was ok too.

The reality is Staines for years has broken big scandals and the range of newspapers regularly buy his stories. Politicians from across the political spectrum read to it and link it. If you get the cross hairs from him you are normally in big trouble. So as a political betting site, it makes sense to act accordingly.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Whilst I Agree with his sentiments, it’s not exactly news that politicians lie. I’m sure the collective memory here could come up with thousands of examples from every party. The only new thing is that where lies were previously spoken and less accountable, they often now end up on Twitter and are recorded.

My favourite example of this new scrutiny is here

https://www.businessinsider.com/president-trump-flip-flops-made-from-tweets-2018-12?r=US&IR=T
    I think the suggestion (as I read it) was that there was a time when if the lies of pols were exposed, they withdrew the lie, apologised & even in extreme cases resigned. Now, apart from having the pish ripped out of them on twitter, nothing happens. Kawczynski doubles down on it and even gets to lay a smoke screen in his local paper.

You can say it doesn't really matter because Kawczynski is a witless, avaricious vacuity, but currently people like him, if not in the saddle, are grabbing at the reins of our future with their sweaty little paws. They're also symptoms of much bigger forces who want to control the narrative, to use a wanky phrase.
    There's a lot of people in power who are bigger than us, don't care about us, will scream at us all day long, fuck us up for fun, and I don't know how to stop them. I'm reading "Bad Boys Of Brexit" and I'm struck by just how wealthy the protagonists are - not just local-boy-done-good, but worth tens, hundreds of millions. It's a different world. And not a good one.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

He's a (quick look on wiki, he has some connection if not this) former president of Oxford Universities Conservative association. There has also been some back and fore between Conservative staff positions and top BBC positions. I realise some on the right like to complain about the lean of the BBC but any analysis of most of its figures involved in politics would show a significant lean to those who have worked with or supported the Conservative party over any other IMO...
    As I recall, Robinson was as arsey towards Bush as he was to (say) Blair.
    And he was a pretty wet Tory back in the day.
  • Options

On a sliding scale it probably does better than most British papers (Sun, Mail, Express, Telegraph etc.)
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Why do people bother with the weasel phrase, “fake news”. It’s lying. It doesn’t have to be deliberate but in many cases clearly is.
  • Options

If you look closely, there's a little asterisk, and at the bottom of the page it says "except for stories written by Carol C"
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    Chris said:

Isn't it completely obvious that such words are offensive not because of their etymology, but because of how they have been used in the past?

After all, the most offensive racial term of all is just the Latin word for black with a doubled consonant.
    Everybody is offended nowadays about anything , the country is a real mess. Time to get tough on snowflakes.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Nigelb said:

Well Ed Miliband thought he was ok for job as Labour's spin doctor, and obviously he used to have the lovely nickname as toenails when Brown and Blair were in power.

I would suggest like a lot of leading BBC people they are as Andrew Marr famously claimed, they have a particular worldview, that

"urban organisation with an abnormally large number of young people, ethnic minorities, and gay people. It has a liberal bias, not so much a party-political bias. It is better expressed as a cultural liberal bias."

During New Labour, that world view was pretty closely aligned to the BBC mindset, however now we have Labour moving left, Tories moving right, and neither really fit comfortably with that.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

eek said:

Exactly. Respecting the referendum means implementing it. The hardcore Brexiters turn out to be the ones unwilling to do so. Quite a turn up when you think about it.
  • Options

Your attempt at equivalence is just utter utter horseshit. There used to be political scrapbook, that was left leaning version of Staines, again that didn't push conspiracy theories ala Alex Jones / Novara.

As I say, Left Foot Forward, no complaints about that blog, it was actually very good read. Labour List back in the day was ok too.

The reality is Staines for years has broken big scandals and the range of newspapers regularly buy his stories. Politicians from across the political spectrum read to it and link it. If you get the cross hairs from him you are normally in big trouble. So as a political betting site, it makes sense to act accordingly.
    There is a reason Paul Joseph Watson is excited about Turning Point UK along with a few Conservative politicians, they know from guido their infowars style works in the UK on the right. I'm sure he mixes some truth in with the conspiracy and fake news to keep you onside.

Just watch out when they start pushing the brain force pills!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

My kids are of an age that we had to wait for each book to be published.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I don't think that's true. Agreeing to an extension doesn't require primary legislation by any of the 27, it requires a meeting where no-one vetoes it.

It needs a European Council meeting first. One is not scheduled until the 21st March. Now, Donald Tusk does have the general authority to schedule extraordinary meetings of the council, but it turns out the diaries of 27 national leaders tends to get quite busy and Tusk would need a DAMN GOOD reason to drag the leaders of Europe back to Brussels and put "listen to more of May's robotic pleading for why it's their job to save the UK from itself" on the agenda.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If you look closely, there's a little asterisk, and at the bottom of the page it says "except for stories written by Carol C"
    "Makes an effort to avoid, rather than compose..." might be a more accurate description.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019

On a sliding scale it probably does better than most British papers (Sun, Mail, Express, Telegraph etc.)
    I agree with that. Sadly the Telegraph is no longer a serious newspaper. Still there are plenty of deceptive headlines in the Guardian, although, to be fair to Katherine Viner, it's not as bad as it was under Rusbridger,
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Fair enough. Consider the sentence modified to "at least one of the 27 will veto it"
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

He's a (quick look on wiki, he has some connection if not this) former president of Oxford Universities Conservative association. There has also been some back and fore between Conservative staff positions and top BBC positions. I realise some on the right like to complain about the lean of the BBC but any analysis of most of its figures involved in politics would show a significant lean to those who have worked with or supported the Conservative party over any other IMO...
    It'd be okay if balance wasn't judged to be wet Tory and dry Tory, and centrist. Which in fairness the BBC is getting a bit better for, even if it annoys some on the right that the left actually gets a voice these days.
  • Options

viewcode said:

The next EUCO meeting begins on the 21st March. That would be when any extension would be discussed and voted on.

Eight days before the deadline. That's not sane.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

There is a reason Paul Joseph Watson is excited about Turning Point UK along with a few Conservative politicians, they know from guido their infowars style works in the UK on the right. I'm sure he mixes some truth in with the conspiracy and fake news to keep you onside.

Just watch out when they start pushing the brain force pills!
    PJW / Infowars is also clearly bullshit conspiracy fake news, and of course Breitbart. And hence why you never get me linking to it.

Novara media, Squawkbox are taking the Infowars model and doing it in the UK from a far left perspective.
  • Options

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

I thought Brandon Sanderson was more Fantasy than YA. Plus he finished the epic Wheel of Time series after Robert Jordan passed away which I think is a must read series for any fan of the genre.
    Noted.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Eight days before the deadline. That's not sane.
    Amazing as it seems, not everything that happens in the EU is about Brexit.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It needs a European Council meeting first. One is not scheduled until the 21st March. Now, Donald Tusk does have the general authority to schedule extraordinary meetings of the council, but it turns out the diaries of 27 national leaders tends to get quite busy and Tusk would need a DAMN GOOD reason to drag the leaders of Europe back to Brussels and put "listen to more of May's robotic pleading for why it's their job to save the UK from itself" on the agenda.
    EUCO has had extraordinary meetings held by phone before (and did at almost zero notice during the Greek crisis). Not only that, but in the event that - say - Emmanuel Macron was otherwise engaged, then he would delegate to someone else

The idea that the EU would be unable to schedule a 15 minute phone call, and therefore an extension is palpably absurd.
  • Options
    *Stockpiling Post*

Apparently there is a company in Leeds providing "Brexit Boxes" containing food that will keep for 25 years.

I find this quite appealing, because I feel there's a reasonable chance of Brexit being resolved within 25 years.
  • Options

I agree with that. Sadly the Telegraph is no longer a serious newspaper. Still there are plenty of deceptive headlines in the Guardian, although, to be fair to Katherine Viner, it's not as bad as it was under Rusbridger,
    I am usually more than happy to criticise the media but there is an element of headlines being there to draw you in fairness to all of them, there is plenty of cases where you see an interesting headline and once you get rid of the unnecessary information it is not what it is claiming originally though. Tough to find the balance.

This discussion has been closed.