Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Kamala Harris makes strong start to her WH2020 campaign and is

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,913

Roger said:

mwadams said:

Scott_P said:
    The 48% who didn''t vote for the blitz could stay up top, yelling to the Heinkels "not in my name...."

After all, they wouldn't have put any efforts into building those shelters.
    Err. I think the analogy here is that Brexit is the Blitz if half the people in the shelter had ordered the bombing themselves.
    Neither analogy works very well. Brexit was voted on by people who know they will gain nothing by voting for it other than the pleasure of making life more difficult for those whose opportunities and livelihoods will be damaged. They are simply vandals. No more no less. The same mentality as people who destroy bus shelters to hear the glass shatter.
    Roger are you really a Leaver pretending to be a Remainer? Of course there were genuine concerns; sadly Remain didn't deal with them sensibly. Nor were people enthused to get out on the street.
    What concerns that make sense? The young have concerns about the elderly and infirm and those who are going to damage the planet long after we're gone. That's what being a decent citizen is all about. Why must we sympathise with the concerns of people who don't like foreigners? It seems ridiculous. You can think of many justifications for not wanting them around or any selfishness or prejudice but it doesn't mean we should give them weight.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Don't think so. No guilty plea but a much better record.
    But solicitors are supposed to know much better. Aggravating factor in sentencing.
    Not convinced that is actually a sentencing factor:

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/explanatory-material/magistrates-court/item/aggravating-and-mitigating-factors/

Of course now separately she is likely to be struck off.
    Well, if you ignore that she spent several years training as a solicitor, during which her duties to comply at all times with the law were spelt out at length, isn't covered by "failure to respond to warnings or concerns expressed by others about the offender’s behaviour".....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088
    Ms Cyclefree wisely comments at 9 that
    'Brexiteers have had the best part of 3 years to come up with a realistic plan. They have failed to do so. It is this - not any great admiration of the EU - which has driven me to the view that, for the moment, we are better off Remaining.'

While I support the idea of the EU I'm quite prepared to be critical of it, but I think that Ms Cyclefree has hit the nail on the head. A prosperous Britain outside the EU, at least in the next 25 years is akin to fairyland.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The 48% who didn''t vote for the blitz could stay up top, yelling to the Heinkels "not in my name...."

The 52% who voted for the bombing assured the rest "there will be no Heinkels, and no need to build shelters, that's just Project fear..."
    Predicated always on the basis that the Germans would be reasonable - and wouldn't try to bomb us flat for not rolling over....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

mwadams said:

Scott_P said:

Err. I think the analogy here is that Brexit is the Blitz if half the people in the shelter had ordered the bombing themselves.
    Neither analogy works very well. Brexit was voted on by people who know they will gain nothing by voting for it other than the pleasure of making life more difficult for those whose opportunities and livelihoods will be damaged. They are simply vandals. No more no less. The same mentality as people who destroy bus shelters to hear the glass shatter.
    Roger are you really a Leaver pretending to be a Remainer? Of course there were genuine concerns; sadly Remain didn't deal with them sensibly. Nor were people enthused to get out on the street.
    What concerns that make sense? The young have concerns about the elderly and infirm and those who are going to damage the planet long after we're gone. That's what being a decent citizen is all about. Why must we sympathise with the concerns of people who don't like foreigners? It seems ridiculous. You can think of many justifications for not wanting them around or any selfishness or prejudice but it doesn't mean we should give them weight.
    I've absolutely no problems with 'foreigners' as foreigners, but I do know of sensible, rational, trustworthy people who believe, with good reason, that FOM resulted, in some areas of work, in lower wages for Brits.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Cyclefree said:

6. I could live with an exit with a sensible transition deal followed by a reasonable FTA. But it is Leavers who are refusing to agree to the WA their government has negotiated. So if they won't live with what they claim to desire - Brexit - I don't see why the rest of us who don't want it should.

7. So if the WA won't pass, then my personal preference, as I have stated on numerous occasions, is for a second referendum so that people can vote on whether they want to go ahead with Brexit on the basis of the WA or Remain. That is the most democratic option.

8. But since that is not, apparently, going to be on offer, I would choose Revoke rather than a No Deal exit. If politicians do Revoke they should explain why & let voters judge at the next election. It is a high risk strategy but there are no good options given that other ways out are being closed off, for no very good reason. A No Deal exit is a risk too far, IMO, for lots of reasons.

9. Brexiteers have had the best part of 3 years to come up with a realistic plan. They have failed to do so. It is this - not any great admiration of the EU - which has driven me to the view that, for the moment, we are better off Remaining.

10. And when criticising me for this view (as plenty have done), there is no point listing out all the things wrong with the EU. I agree with many of those criticisms, have made them myself both above and below the line. But criticism is not a plan for action, for the future. It is backward looking. Easy to criticise. Harder to propose. We all know the "push" factors. What we're waiting for are the "pull" ones. Something more than "Let's clap our hands & believe in fairies" is needed.

Excellent posts
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Cyclefree said:

For the avoidance of doubt, I'd like to make a few things clear:-

2. There is a more serious question about how to have moral hazard for our political class. There are far too many politicians proposing policies which will not affect them. The gap between their consequence-free decision making & the voters enduring the consequences is not good for our body politic. (One obvious example is FoM itself - see this - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/14/cyclefree-with-a-mischievous-suggestion/ & this - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/07/12/uniting-the-country/.). I might consider it for a thread header if I can write something sensible on the topic.

This happens all the time. To take an easy example, income tax policy and MP salaries. The 60% tax trap is not an issue for them. Non-taxable benefit expenses are different to the ones which apply to you or I.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:
    Doesn't refer to timescale. She won't be a Labour candidate anywhere and no-one else will have her. For a long while, anyway.
    See Mr P Woosnam.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Indeed. Our remainer friends might like to read this new statesman report from Boston

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/07/view-brexitland-boston-town-voted-strongest-leave-eu

So, according to that report, Boston is booming because 10 years ago it was a wasteland with lots of boarded up shops that immigrants re-opened and now it is thriving again. It has low unemployment too.

But the key issue is that the locals "Doan like forriners! They speak funny...."

It is about prejudice, not economics.
    Keep not listening. It's why, in a second referendum situation, leave would win again.
    :D:D:D

If you post up articles saying that immigrants regenerated a town and the indigenous folk do not like hearing languages other than English then what sort of reply do you expect to get?

I am past the whole Leave / Remain thing. I still believe that Remaining is best and Leaving is national self-harm, but I am resigned to the country leaving on a WTO basis and I will find the fallout interesting to watch.

Basically - I no longer give a f**k. My country (as was) has gone. The UK is now nothing other than a bipolar mess.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Sandpit said:
    To paraphrase Malcolm Tucker, "highly likely" doesn't mean "definitely".
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Don't think so. No guilty plea but a much better record.
    But solicitors are supposed to know much better. Aggravating factor in sentencing.
    Not convinced that is actually a sentencing factor:

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/explanatory-material/magistrates-court/item/aggravating-and-mitigating-factors/

Of course now separately she is likely to be struck off.
    Well, if you ignore that she spent several years training as a solicitor, during which her duties to comply at all times with the law were spelt out at length, isn't covered by "failure to respond to warnings or concerns expressed by others about the offender’s behaviour".....
    Most commercial solicitors seem to forget their duty to the court or that they are officers of the court.
  • Options
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,234
    Roger said:

Roger said:

mwadams said:
    There are legitimate concerns about having, say, people from a very different culture living in your country who reject the very basic values of your country eg who think laws should be based on what a particular God thinks rather than on democratic consent. It is entirely reasonable - and, indeed, necessary - to take account of such concerns.

It is also entirely reasonable to take account of people's concerns about the speed of change. People may be fine with foreigners coming to live among them when this is done at a rate and in numbers that everyone is comfortable with. It is also reasonable and, indeed, necessary to take account of whether the costs and benefits of such changes are being fairly shared.

Labelling it as prejudice (even if there is an element of that) and therefore refusing to consider it is what has, in part, landed us in this mess.

Put it this way: if a load of prejudiced and ignorant and, to your mind, uncivilised Hartlepudlians turned up to live next to you in the South of France, didn't mix, didn't learn the language, opened shops selling horrible food with no vegetables, drank beers in public, and generally behaved in a manner which ruined your pleasant home, and the local French reacted by complaining about this, would you just say: "Oh they're just being selfish and prejudiced. So we should ignore their feelings."?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:
    Recall.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Cyclefree said:

8. But since that is not, apparently, going to be on offer, I would choose Revoke rather than a No Deal exit. If politicians do Revoke they should explain why & let voters judge at the next election. It is a high risk strategy but there are no good options given that other ways out are being closed off, for no very good reason. A No Deal exit is a risk too far, IMO, for lots of reasons.

I agree with all of your reasoning, but sadly I am convinced that (a) May's priorities are immigration control and party unity, (b) Corbyn's priority is blaming everything on the Tories, and, (c) there are not enough MPs on both sides who are willing to defy their party leadership.

I think this leads us to no deal.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    https://twitter.com/tombarton/status/1090215234353184769

Some interesting comments here and there.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,903
    Dadge said:

Cyclefree said:

6. I could live with an exit with a sensible transition deal followed by a reasonable FTA. But it is Leavers who are refusing to agree to the WA their government has negotiated. So if they won't live with what they claim to desire - Brexit - I don't see why the rest of us who don't want it should.

7. So if the WA won't pass, then my personal preference, as I have stated on numerous occasions, is for a second referendum so that people can vote on whether they want to go ahead with Brexit on the basis of the WA or Remain. That is the most democratic option.

9. Brexiteers have had the best part of 3 years to come up with a realistic plan. They have failed to do so. It is this - not any great admiration of the EU - which has driven me to the view that, for the moment, we are better off Remaining.

10. And when criticising me for this view (as plenty have done), there is no point listing out all the things wrong with the EU. I agree with many of those criticisms, have made them myself both above and below the line. But criticism is not a plan for action, for the future. It is backward looking. Easy to criticise. Harder to propose. We all know the "push" factors. What we're waiting for are the "pull" ones. Something more than "Let's clap our hands & believe in fairies" is needed.

Excellent posts
    Agreed.
    Though at the this point it’s faintly absurd that Cyclefree should have to explain, yet again, her position on Brexit. I am far from the sharpest reader of PB, but there was nothing in there that came as anything of a revelation.

• Options

Sandpit said:
    Recall.
    Hopefully that route won’t be necessary, but if it does I hope the good folk of Peterborough will oblige.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/tombarton/status/1090215234353184769

Some interesting comments here and there.

The Judge has sounded generous to them both at times, but that doesn't necessarily mean a lighter sentence.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I agree with all of your reasoning, but sadly I am convinced that (a) May's priorities are immigration control and party unity, (b) Corbyn's priority is blaming everything on the Tories, and, (c) there are not enough MPs on both sides who are willing to defy their party leadership.

Anyone else watch the BBC2 programme last night? Was suggested that May came in very late in Cameron's discussions with the EU and insisted on immigration control.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,964

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Indeed. Our remainer friends might like to read this new statesman report from Boston

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/07/view-brexitland-boston-town-voted-strongest-leave-eu

So, according to that report, Boston is booming because 10 years ago it was a wasteland with lots of boarded up shops that immigrants re-opened and now it is thriving again. It has low unemployment too.

But the key issue is that the locals "Doan like forriners! They speak funny...."

Keep not listening. It's why, in a second referendum situation, leave would win again.

If you post up articles saying that immigrants regenerated a town and the indigenous folk do not like hearing languages other than English then what sort of reply do you expect to get?

I am past the whole Leave / Remain thing. I still believe that Remaining is best and Leaving is national self-harm, but I am resigned to the country leaving on a WTO basis and I will find the fallout interesting to watch.

Basically - I no longer give a f**k. My country (as was) has gone. The UK is now nothing other than a bipolar mess.
    The article I posted was a balanced one. It pointed out that regeneration had taken place as a result of the influx of peope, yes. But it also pointed out that people felt their wages were suppressed and their quality of life had been affected by competition for housing and public services, as well as changing their community beyond recognition. But, as I say, keep on ignoring those concerns. See how far it gets you if there's a second referendum. Freedom of movement has its winners and its losers. It is not hard to see why those who feel they have lost as a result of it voted to leave, and would vote to leave again.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Yes. It is why I am so irritated by the whole thing. This total fixation on the survival of out-of-date ideologies (both in the Tories and Labour) combined with the "throw the country under the bus" attitude.

Representative democracy is dead.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Ms Cyclefree wisely comments at 9 that
    'Brexiteers have had the best part of 3 years to come up with a realistic plan. They have failed to do so. It is this - not any great admiration of the EU - which has driven me to the view that, for the moment, we are better off Remaining.'

While I support the idea of the EU I'm quite prepared to be critical of it, but I think that Ms Cyclefree has hit the nail on the head. A prosperous Britain outside the EU, at least in the next 25 years is akin to fairyland.

I'm enthusiastically pro-EU Federal superstate, but I don't think that's true. The UK can perfectly well succeed outside the EU. You just wouldn't do it this way. You would do it one step at a time and give companies - and government and people - plenty of time to adjust. Keep single market and customs union membership for some time outside the political institutions and then step away one bit at a time.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,176
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

The article I posted was a balanced one. It pointed out that regeneration had taken place as a result of the influx of peope, yes. But it also pointed out that people felt their wages were suppressed and their quality of life had been affected by competition for housing and public services, as well as changing their community beyond recognition. But, as I say, keep on ignoring those concerns. See how far it gets you if there's a second referendum. Freedom of movement has its winners and its losers. It is not hard to see why those who feel they have lost as a result of it voted to leave, and would vote to leave again.
    That some people who voted to leave would vote leave again is not in doubt, but that's not enough to win another referendum.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

mwadams said:

Scott_P said:

I've absolutely no problems with 'foreigners' as foreigners, but I do know of sensible, rational, trustworthy people who believe, with good reason, that FOM resulted, in some areas of work, in lower wages for Brits.
    Sensible, rational and trustworthy they may be, but I don't think they've fully thought it through. Most of the very menial jobs (potato picking, etc) are now carried out almost exclusively by foreigners rather than Brits. Yes, the very few Brits that still work in these areas are likely earning less money than otherwise, but the much larger number of Brits who would otherwise be doing these menial jobs are, instead, earning more money doing better-paying work. So, on average, Brits are almost certainly earning more as a consequence of foreigners taking over the more menial jobs.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Sounds like we have to wait another hour.
    https://twitter.com/tombarton/status/1090216033238044673

Some of us want to go to the beach, to watch a politically charged and hugely significant football match on a massive TV.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,469

Cyclefree said:

Anyone else watch the BBC2 programme last night? Was suggested that May came in very late in Cameron's discussions with the EU and insisted on immigration control.
    Yes. I found the overall tone rather ploddy to be honest, as if the makers were going through the motions a bit.

I do recall a side comment from Osborne about May being "quiet as usual" during a Cabinet discussion on all this.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,178

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

That some people who voted to leave would vote leave again is not in doubt, but that's not enough to win another referendum.
    On freedom of movement, those who might leave for abroad are Remainers and those who would stay at home are Leavers.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

mwadams said:

Scott_P said:

Sensible, rational and trustworthy they may be, but I don't think they've fully thought it through. Most of the very menial jobs (potato picking, etc) are now carried out almost exclusively by foreigners rather than Brits. Yes, the very few Brits that still work in these areas are likely earning less money than otherwise, but the much larger number of Brits who would otherwise be doing these menial jobs are, instead, earning more money doing better-paying work. So, on average, Brits are almost certainly earning more as a consequence of foreigners taking over the more menial jobs.
    I wasn't thinking of those jobs.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,178

Cyclefree said:

Yes. I found the overall tone rather ploddy to be honest, as if the makers were going through the motions a bit.

I do recall a side comment from Osborne about May being "quiet as usual" during a Cabinet discussion on all this.
    side or snide?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

It is not hard to see why those who feel they have lost as a result of it voted to leave, and would vote to leave again.

They will not get a second vote, but if they think they had nothing to lose by voting Leave, then they may well be in for a big shock.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

You would do it one step at a time and give companies - and government and people - plenty of time to adjust. Keep single market and customs union membership for some time outside the political institutions and then step away one bit at a time.

Another magic unicorn
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

side or snide?
    Both, IIRC. It did creak along a bit.
  • Options
    Today is truly a mystical day.

Long-dead magic unicorns are springing back to life all around us. Unicorns of every hue and alignment.

It's the most wonderful time.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Yes. It is why I am so irritated by the whole thing. This total fixation on the survival of out-of-date ideologies (both in the Tories and Labour) combined with the "throw the country under the bus" attitude.

But the electorate voted for this. Twice, in fact. It really is a bit rum to be getting angry with Parliament for delivering what the electorate twice voted for.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

I don't think that's how supply and demand works. More supply at the bottom end of the salary gradient doesn't automatically create more jobs higher up; it just creates downward pressure on wages. A few people who would otherwise have found employment in manual labour might be incentivised to seek out skilled work at higher pay, but for the majority of those affected it's a choice between unemployment, and working at an "artificially" reduced rate.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    Sandpit said:
    The thing is, being in a position of trust, like a solicitor, should be an aggravating factor, not a mitigating factor.
  • Options
    According to the Guardian, the DUP is in favour of the Malthouse proposal because

'There is no better time to advance this alternative given the confusion and disarray which is now manifesting itself in Brussels. This has been displayed both by the contradictory EU statements and the panic stricken behaviour of the Irish government.'

Er....... are they sure?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:
    According to Guido, in the absence of a WA, the Malthouse Compromise would offer a “GATT 24 WTO-compliant standstill on trade with no tariffs, no quantitative restrictions and no new barriers for execution" - sounds like full single market access for goods without any of the compromises on FOM, EU regulation and oversight etc.?
    Weren't they listening in 2016 when the EU ruled this out?
    It is a total unicorn wish list yes.
    But much more importantly it is one the Tory Party can unite around.
    And that, as we know, is the vital thing.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908
    edited January 2019
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

But the electorate voted for this. Twice, in fact. It really is a bit rum to be getting angry with Parliament for delivering what the electorate twice voted for.

In 2017, the electorate voted against a No Deal Brexit.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:
    The thing is, being in a position of trust, like a solicitor, should be an aggravating factor, not a mitigating factor.
    :+1:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,176
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Cyclefree said:

They have voted us into an economic meltdown (WTO) and then failing to mitigate it in anyway because a) it would split the Tory party and b) it would split the Labour party.

Brexit is now about party management until the 29th March.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:
    Absolutely.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

They have voted us into an economic meltdown (WTO) and then failing to mitigate it in anyway because a) it would split the Tory party and b) it would split the Labour party.

How many countries trade on WTO basis? one, two?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036
    Labour 3 line on Cooper.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,142
    Well, we don't try to abolish capitalism because, despite producing much greater prosperity overall, it makes some people worse off than they would otherwise have been.

In the same way, it's absolutely bone-headedly stupid to say that large numbers of young, healthy, unmarried Europeans without children shouldn't be allowed to come here and work, generating fruitful economic activity and paying taxes while making minimal demands on our public services, just because smaller numbers of Europeans may be coming here and doing otherwise.

It's all very well saying concerns about immigration can't just be dismissed. But for God's sake, if our politicians - who are supposed to be skilled at talking if nothing else - are incapable of explaining something so simple and self-evident to the electorate, let them get a proper job - if they're capable of it.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

I don't think that's how supply and demand works. More supply at the bottom end of the salary gradient doesn't automatically create more jobs higher up; it just creates downward pressure on wages. A few people who would otherwise have found employment in manual labour might be incentivised to seek out skilled work at higher pay, but for the majority of those affected it's a choice between unemployment, and working at an "artificially" reduced rate.
    If that were true, there would be a positive correlation between immigration and Brit unemployment. There isn't, because supply and demand doesn't work for labour as it does for widgets.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    No need. The EU will shorten it for you.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    They may say no !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Another interesting story on Florida. Somehow, I can’t see Trump matching Rick Scott’s haul of Hispanic votes, post-Hurricane Maria...
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/427361-dem-2020-candidates-court-puerto-rico-as-long-nomination-contest-looms
  • Options
    No, understandably confused.
  • Options

According to the Guardian, the DUP is in favour of the Malthouse proposal because

'There is no better time to advance this alternative given the confusion and disarray which is now manifesting itself in Brussels. This has been displayed both by the contradictory EU statements and the panic stricken behaviour of the Irish government.'

Er....... are they sure?

The world is laughing at Brussels because of its hopeless confusion and disarray.

The world is smiling sympathetically at London because it knows we are in the right. Either that, or it knows the men in white coats are about to pay us a visit.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

How many countries trade on WTO basis? one, two?
    If trading in WTO is so great, why does anyone bother with trade agreements? WTO is a backstop - a starting point. It is the fit-anybody kind of trade deal. It is far, far worse than what we have.

But do not worry - no one gives a d*mn about the economics. Just wave your hand airily and voice a few platitudes and wait for reality to kick you up the backside.

• Options

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    They may say no !!!!!!!!!
    Indeed.
  • Options
    DimitryDimitry Posts: 49
    MAY REIGNS, surely?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,925
    Scott_P said:
    Can't see the Brady amendment passing. Also, the UK needs the extra time anyway - even if you think the EU will cave on the backstop, that won't happen in time for us to leave on 29th March.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,395
    edited January 2019
    Labour whipping for the Cooper amendment appears on the face of it to undermine the theory (which I was starting to give credence to) that they are seeking to drive May to a cliff-edge 'lose lose' choice between no deal and revoke.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    The Cooper amendment will undoubtedly end up adding to the risk of No Deal Brexit.

That is the only reason Labour leadership will have agreed a 3-line whip on it.
  • Options
    Cooper Boles looks like it should pass to me.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Well, we don't try to abolish capitalism because, despite producing much greater prosperity overall, it makes some people worse off than they would otherwise have been.

In the same way, it's absolutely bone-headedly stupid to say that large numbers of young, healthy, unmarried Europeans without children shouldn't be allowed to come here and work, generating fruitful economic activity and paying taxes while making minimal demands on our public services, just because smaller numbers of Europeans may be coming here and doing otherwise.

It's all very well saying concerns about immigration can't just be dismissed. But for God's sake, if our politicians - who are supposed to be skilled at talking if nothing else - are incapable of explaining something so simple and self-evident to the electorate, let them get a proper job - if they're capable of it.

But we mitigate capitalism’s effects.

It is very likely too late now, but Westminster could have done a much better job of addressing the concerns of the country’s Bostons - had they even been considered.
    Brexit likely won’t do much other than replace those grievances with a whole new set, though.

• Options
    If Trump fails to be renominted (and FWIW I think he will), another possible contender alongside Romney and Graham:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/29/liz-cheney-republicans-1128132
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,395
    Could somebody please explain the difference (if there is one) between the government 'supporting' an amendment and 'accepting' it?
  • Options

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    The Cooper amendment will undoubtedly end up adding to the risk of No Deal Brexit.

Yeah right

The Amendment looking to guarantee No Deal is OFF the table

" will undoubtedly end up adding to the risk of No Deal Brexit"
  • Options

Chris said:

Scott_P said:

Why does it add to the risk of no deal - not that I support it
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

But we mitigate capitalism’s effects.

It is very likely too late now, but Westminster could have done a much better job of addressing the concerns of the country’s Bostons - had they even been considered.
    Brexit likely won’t do much other than replace those grievances with a whole new set, though.

correct

the root causes of disenchantment have been largely ignored as MPs do their blinker visioned Brexit crusade to the exclusion of voters interests
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    If two and half years hasn't been enough for the UK Govt., how is just another say 3-6 months going to be enough to assist its shit-gathering activities?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,721
    Cyclefree said:

snippage....10. And when criticising me for this view (as plenty have done), there is no point listing out all the things wrong with the EU. I agree with many of those criticisms, have made them myself both above and below the line. But criticism is not a plan for action, for the future. It is backward looking. Easy to criticise. Harder to propose. We all know the "push" factors. What we're waiting for are the "pull" ones. Something more than "Let's clap our hands & believe in fairies" is needed.

As a Leaver (and I remain one) I agree with almost everything written here. I think we should take the Deal (as is), poor though it may be. Remain second if that fails. I don't think No deal is going to be viable.

• Options
    Dimitry said:

MAY REIGNS, surely?
    Only 1 S
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Endillion said:

This is exactly what the research shows, but only in reference to the pay of *earlier low-skilled immigrants*. Immigration doesn't usually have that effect on the wages of non-immigrants. This is because natives and immigrants aren't direct substitutes: The jobs that immigrants can do efficiently to do are subtly (or sometimes unsubtly) different from jobs that non-immigrants can do efficiently. Although there's *some* overlap, the immigrants also make economic activity viable that wouldn't otherwise have been, and that creates jobs for non-immigrants, many of them better than the ones they'd have had before.

To do the analogy with widgets, you don't want lots of supply of directly competing products, but you do want supply of *complementary* products. For example, if you're making wine glasses, you don't want to have to compete with cheaper wine glasses. But you totally do benefit from cheaper *wine*, because that's complementary, not competitive: The more people can afford wine, the more people will want to buy wine glasses.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,424
    edited January 2019

Chris said:

Scott_P said:

Yeah right

The problem is that to take no deal off the table it needs legislation, not words
  • Options

Chris said:

Scott_P said:

Yeah right

As I said - what are they going to do with an extra 3-6 months? I mean, how many times can the House vote on May's Deal?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Err didn't the EU say they would block an extention of article 50 for no real good reasons?

So even if it passes, the EU could block it. they won't just let a can kick down the road.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

snippage....10. And when criticising me for this view (as plenty have done), there is no point listing out all the things wrong with the EU. I agree with many of those criticisms, have made them myself both above and below the line. But criticism is not a plan for action, for the future. It is backward looking. Easy to criticise. Harder to propose. We all know the "push" factors. What we're waiting for are the "pull" ones. Something more than "Let's clap our hands & believe in fairies" is needed.

As a Leaver (and I remain one) I agree with almost everything written here. I think we should take the Deal (as is), poor though it may be. Remain second if that fails. I don't think No deal is going to be viable.

As a remainer, I agree with that.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    Scott_P said:
    Well after all the times Jezza defied the whip (and if he wasn't leader would himself be defying the whip tonight) Lab leadership won't be able to say much about those that do! :D
  • Options
    DimitryDimitry Posts: 49

Dimitry said:

MAY REIGNS, surely?
    Only 1 S
    Yes, indeed - like Y SMEARING and RESIGN MAY?
  • Options
    There has been a noticeable change in the demonstrations on College Green with many more UKIP flags and even a noisy leave march.
  • Options

Chris said:

Scott_P said:

Why does it add to the risk of no deal - not that I support it
    It wastes clock time and Parliamentary time, for something that isn’t in our gift and requires unanimity from the other side to take effect.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Err didn't the EU say they would block an extention of article 50 for no real good reasons?

They'd probably say that regardless, given it adds to time pressure.

Doesn't mean they didn't mean it, of course.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kinabalu said:

Labour whipping for the Cooper amendment appears on the face of it to undermine the theory (which I was starting to give credence to) that they are seeking to drive May to a cliff-edge 'lose lose' choice between no deal and revoke.

Southam Observer will no doubt be along soon to tell us how Corbyn doing everything to pass a vote to block a No Deal Brexit, is actually a dastardly plot to bring about a No Deal Brexit.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Has the judge returned, wearing his black cap?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Sherrod was pretty impressive in Mike's clip over the weekend.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Sean_F said:

Has the judge returned, wearing his black cap?

Could the result adjust the parliamentary numbers today by one?
This discussion has been closed.