Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the eve of the big vote political punters now make it 79% t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the eve of the big vote political punters now make it 79% that the UK won’t leave the EU by March 29th

Chart from Betdata.io showing trend on what is currently the busiest political market on the Betfair Exchange.

Read the full story here

Comments

• CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Following EU orders?
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    The EU would like a second referendum, as is usual with a rebellion from the plebs. For that, an extension is guaranteed. Jezza is toast if he doesn't agree. He will reluctantly agree because of the intransigence of the Tories. You don't need to call me Nostradamus, it was always the end-game from day one.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Yep, seems about right. Many of the plan B's require a delay even if we do not end up remaining. What a farce. But at least, finally, we will be considering some other votes, even if technically the deal options is not entirely dead tomorrow (though to any realistic extent it will be).
  • "Three days" really means Monday doesn't it, as our part time politicians take a three day weekend since they've nothing urgent to discuss as the moment right?

Do we know roughly what time tomorrow the vote/result will be?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    Third. Labour sure does love that ol' fence.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    If I had a betting bank I would put some on us leaving on March 29th.

My thinking is that May is determined to see this through and that any alternative to that exit date requires forcing her from office, which probably requires a cross-party backbench rebellion to form a government of national unity. Which is unlikely.
    CD13 said:

The EU would like a second referendum, as is usual with a rebellion from the plebs. For that, an extension is guaranteed. Jezza is toast if he doesn't agree. He will reluctantly agree because of the intransigence of the Tories. You don't need to call me Nostradamus, it was always the end-game from day one.

Well it wasn't guaranteed, but yes that has to be a very likely way it goes. He's still shoring up leave voters with positive noises, but if parliament can get past a recalcitrant government, so can Labour get past a recalcitrant leader
    Barnesian said:

Favourite band on Betfair has come down to 200-209 supporters of the Deal which implies a majority of around 205 against.

So that's May's target - lose by less than 200. 150 if she does very well.

That's astoundingly crap.

Like Wolves putting up a fight against City, come on for heaven's sake!
  • AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    79% chance that we won’t leave the EU at all I would have thought. Only Boles seems to have a plan and that plan won’t work.

I wouldn’t have thought Corbyn had any interest in a second referendum unless it was going to give up victory in the general election he craves and which is really the only thing he cares about right now. If May loses by over 100 tomorrow he might get it.

"Three days" really means Monday doesn't it, as our part time politicians take a three day weekend since they've nothing urgent to discuss as the moment right?

Late.

And they need to go home and relax - not like they'll be thinking of other things.

Although in seriousness sometimes people act like any impact on family life for politicians is unfair, but that's the job to some degree. It's a public service, there will be costs when the nation calls. But rough on Siddiq putting off her C-section though

79% chance that we won’t leave the EU at all I would have thought.

Not quite I think. I'm very confident, unfortunately, that Remain would win any referendum but it is at least possible, say, deal would win, so while referendum or other options mean a delay past March is very likely, it is not quite as likely that we do not leave at all.
    IanB2 said:

Third. Labour sure does love that ol' fence.

It's worked brilliantly so far unless YouGov are right
    edited January 2019

79% chance that we won’t leave the EU at all I would have thought. Only Boles seems to have a plan and that plan won’t work.

I wouldn’t have thought Corbyn had any interest in a second referendum unless it was going to give up victory in the general election he craves and which is really the only thing he cares about right now. If May loses by over 100 tomorrow he might get it.

In a deal v Remain vote, the Leave/deal campaign would be principally Tories and the Remain campaign principally Labour (and the other parties). Surely the leaders of the two large parties couldn't survive on the 'wrong' (in relation to their base) side of the issue? May (if not replaced) would obviously back her deal; Corbyn is in a very tight spot.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,922
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

"Three days" really means Monday doesn't it, as our part time politicians take a three day weekend since they've nothing urgent to discuss as the moment right?

Late.

And they need to go home and relax - not like they'll be thinking of other things.

Although in seriousness sometimes people act like any impact on family life for politicians is unfair, but that's the job to some degree. It's a public service, there will be costs when the nation calls. But rough on Siddiq putting off her C-section though

Remember this:

https://news.sky.com/story/tulip-siddiq-apologises-for-barb-at-pregnant-journalist-11149060

At the end of the interview, Ms Siddiq told pregnant producer Daisy Ayliffe: "Thanks for coming Daisy, hope you have a great birth, because child labour is hard! See you!"
    IanB2 said:

In a deal v Remain vote, the Leave/deal campaign would be principally Tories and the Remain campaign principally Labour (and the other parties). Surely the leaders of the two large parties couldn't survive on the 'wrong' (in relation to their base) side of the issue?
    Corbyn would declare a free vote and then do the bare minimum, safe knowing virtually everyone in Labour would campaign for Remain but he had not alienated leavers.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Leaving on time (29/3) is drifting in the betting BUT that we do leave is coming in.

The view emerging as favourite is that the deal eventually passes but we require an article 50 extension in order to implement it.

Hate to agree with the consensus but I too regard this as the most likely outcome.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    FPT:

murali_s said:

Evening folks!

No Brexit or No Deal - what will it be?

More likely No Brexit...

https://twitter.com/hilarybennmp/status/1084859849735852032

https://twitter.com/steverichards14/status/1084880122040254470

https://twitter.com/steverichards14/status/1084881144934473729

The more May digs her heels in, the more likely that some kind of ramshackle Parliamentary coalition will be patched together by desperate pro-EU MPs to stop Brexit, one would've thought.

Of course, No Deal is the current default position, and it's still possible if no majority can be assembled to defeat May once and for all.
    Thinking about the chances I make it

60% No Deal Brexit

15% A Deal is agreed (be it Mrs May’s deal or a variation thereof) and Parliament accepts it.

25% No Brexit at the end of March, either through extension/revocation of A50 or a new plebiscite.
    SO...

Most MPs hate the Deal (liable to be defeated by a landslide tomorrow)
    Most MPs are terrified of No Deal
    Most MPs would probably like to stay in the EU

And yet you reckon it's very likely that No Deal happens anyway - presumably because, even though they think it's disastrous, they're incapable of doing anything else?

If that's how it pans out, would this qualify as the most useless Parliament ever?
    The problem is that most of the MPs who are terrified of No Deal and who would probably like to stay in the EU are in the opposition benches - and it would take a government to stop Brexit.
    Most, not all. All that needs to happen is for the Hard Remainer Tories to jump ship and vote a new Government into office.

Which, if Brexit is the monumental disaster they believe it to be, AND May won't budge an inch, they'll presumably be willing to do?

In the national interest, of course.
    kle4 said:

Not quite I think. I'm very confident, unfortunately, that Remain would win any referendum but it is at least possible, say, deal would win, so while referendum or other options mean a delay past March is very likely, it is not quite as likely that we do not leave at all.
    Problem with a second referendum is what is the question. The Leave vote has been remarkably resilient in the polls given 2 years on unrelenting pressure to change with no counter argument and a second referendum when the first hasn’t been honoured would be scandal.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

kle4 said:

Problem with a second referendum is what is the question. The Leave vote has been remarkably resilient in the polls given 2 years on unrelenting pressure to change with no counter argument and a second referendum when the first hasn’t been honoured would be scandal.
    The unrelenting pressure of the leadership of both main parties being committed to delivering it?
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

kle4 said:

I think Deal Vs Remain is the only one that could get through parliament

FPT:

murali_s said:

Evening folks!

More likely No Brexit...

The more May digs her heels in, the more likely that some kind of ramshackle Parliamentary coalition will be patched together by desperate pro-EU MPs to stop Brexit, one would've thought.

Of course, No Deal is the current default position, and it's still possible if no majority can be assembled to defeat May once and for all.

60% No Deal Brexit

15% A Deal is agreed (be it Mrs May’s deal or a variation thereof) and Parliament accepts it.

25% No Brexit at the end of March, either through extension/revocation of A50 or a new plebiscite.
    SO...

And yet you reckon it's very likely that No Deal happens anyway - presumably because, even though they think it's disastrous, they're incapable of doing anything else?

If that's how it pans out, would this qualify as the most useless Parliament ever?
    The problem is that most of the MPs who are terrified of No Deal and who would probably like to stay in the EU are in the opposition benches - and it would take a government to stop Brexit.
    Most, not all. All that needs to happen is for the Hard Remainer Tories to jump ship and vote a new Government into office.

Which, if Brexit is the monumental disaster they believe it to be, AND May won't budge an inch, they'll presumably be willing to do?

If they care about it that much of course they should do that. Perfectly honourable position to take. A 1970s throwback who has to deal with the vagaries of parliament should not change that, even if the range of risk he presents is pretty bad.
    kle4 said:

Despite all the superficially persuasive slogans that have been offered for the Leave (the sequel) campaign, Remain has the absolute killer line - You can have years and years more of all this arguing and chaos of Brexit, or it can all simply go away: you choose.

kle4 said:

Sucks, but no good options left anymore.
    kle4 said:

FPT:

murali_s said:

Evening folks!

More likely No Brexit...

60% No Deal Brexit

SO...

If they care about it that much of course they should do that. Perfectly honourable position to take. A 1970s throwback who has to deal with the vagaries of parliament should not change that, even if the range of risk he presents is pretty bad.
    They may actually have nothing to lose, if the Tory headbanger membership comes for them anyway

kle4 said:

The unrelenting pressure of the leadership of both main parties being committed to delivering it?
    The unrelenting pressure of 2 years attacking May’s negotiations, 2 years of deriding the alternatives and 2 years of campaigning for the original decision.

kle4 said:

Late.

Remember this:

https://news.sky.com/story/tulip-siddiq-apologises-for-barb-at-pregnant-journalist-11149060

At the end of the interview, Ms Siddiq told pregnant producer Daisy Ayliffe: "Thanks for coming Daisy, hope you have a great birth, because child labour is hard! See you!"
    Well she's not meant to be a very nice person, though I can have some level of sympathy.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,922
    kle4 said:

Though I'm definitely a remainer, I'd quite possibly vote for the deal in a referendum, especially if it looks as though the result is going to be close. Very much depends on the nature of the debate. Ultimately, the restoration of civility and a sense of shared values is probably worth more than EU membership.
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Despite all the superficially persuasive slogans that have been offered for the Leave (the sequel) campaign, Remain has the absolute killer line - You can have years and years more of all this arguing and chaos of Brexit, or it can all simply go away: you choose.
    Yes, 'End the chaos' is not a bad line (better than people's vote) albeit still plenty superficial.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sucks, but no good options left anymore.
    Agreed - hence my original comment.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Labour has more positions on Brexit than can be counted.

Different people say different things on Brexit in that party nearly daily

Lets be honest Corbyn wants to leave and he wants power - everything else is noise.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    edited January 2019

Betfair is indicating a 76% chance that we will leave sometime before 2022.

22% by 29 March
    22% Apr-Jun 2019
    19% July - Dec 2019
    9% in 2020 or 2021
    24% later or never.

EDIT: It doesn't add to 100% because of the over round but it shows the general shape of it.

kle4 said:

also known as a stitch up.

I'm sure voters will forgive them.....
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343
    kinabalu said:

Leaving on time (29/3) is drifting in the betting BUT that we do leave is coming in.

The view emerging as favourite is that the deal eventually passes but we require an article 50 extension in order to implement it.

Hate to agree with the consensus but I too regard this as the most likely outcome.

Broadly agree. JC's desire to leave in circumstances where he is not to blame for leaving but stands a chance of shaping the post Brexit future in a socialist direction should not be underestimated. If JC were remotely serious about Remaining he would not have equivocated to this extent. TM wants to leave out of electoral principle, and JC wants to leave out of political conviction of long standing. The two leaders agree about far more than they are letting on.

edited January 2019

kle4 said:

Possibly, but it would be a waste of time. Remain have already lost once and no one other than May and her payroll vote wants her deal. Any second referendum needs Labour to support it and Corbyn isn’t interested.
  • Floater said:

Lets be honest Corbyn wants to leave and he wants power - everything else is noise.

Surely more positions than the karma sutra....

kle4 said:

More fundamentally, there is no other credible and acceptable way to leave on offer, and if people don't want it, clearly we should stay.
    edited January 2019
    ps - I loved the "no food" helpful leak today.

no food, none at all?

Not even remotely plausible is it.

Floater said:

kle4 said:

Well they have to vote for one of the parties, unless you think UKIP will win a majority if a deal/remain referendum is passed. Some of the parties will be rewarded.

Floater said:

Surely more positions than the karma sutra....
    I did nearly use that line - but too much like TSE for my liking ;-)
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Broadly agree. JC's desire to leave in circumstances where he is not to blame for leaving but stands a chance of shaping the post Brexit future in a socialist direction should not be underestimated. If JC were remotely serious about Remaining he would not have equivocated to this extent. TM wants to leave out of electoral principle, and JC wants to leave out of political conviction of long standing. The two leaders agree about far more than they are letting on.

A shame that neither will get what they want!
    kle4 said:

Floater said:

kle4 said:

Well they have to vote for one of the parties, unless you think UKIP will win a majority if a deal/remain referendum is passed. Some of the parties will be rewarded.
    Of course everything will remain static and nothing will change.........

kle4 said:

Possibly, but it would be a waste of time. Remain have already lost once and no one other than May and her payroll vote wants her deal. Any second referendum needs Labour to support it and Corbyn isn’t interested.
    I think if that referendum was on offer there'd be a substantial Labour vote in favour, whether Corbyn wanted it or not. SNP, Lib Dems and Greens too. Not sure about DUP but they largely seem willing to go along with May except when it breaks an ironclad red line. With all of that, I think she'd be able to get enough of her own party to get it over the line.

I think adding no deal as a third option loses more of those people than it gains rebels
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911

kle4 said:

Doesn't matter. If there is a second referendum the only question that matters will be:

How many times will they make us vote until we give the "right" answer?
  • saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Sick of all the brexit nonsense & the politicians showing how useless they are.

Really sick of the losers second time around vote being called a "People's Vote".
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

If you think a Remain vote would cause the arguments to go away, you're kidding yourself. I very much fear that the Eurosceptic genie is not only out of its lamp but is out to stay. It's a far larger and far more electorally formidable force than Scottish nationalism, and look at the chaos that caused even following a substantial defeat.

A Referendum is unlikely, a Remain vote is less likely, but the political realities are unfortunately changing in a negative way even if they do happen.
    Floater said:

kle4 said:

Floater said:

kle4 said:

Of course everything will remain static and nothing will change.........
    There will be churn. But it will end up being Tories, Labour, LDs and SNP and the NI lot with the seats, so 'parliament' being forgiven for pushing through a remain/deal referendum is a given.
    Floater said:

no food, none at all?

It's the no loo rolls that is more worrying.
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Nah, they both just care about votes. Corbyn's aversion to capitalism and May's aversion to immigrants are distant seconds
    kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Doesn't matter. If there is a second referendum the only question that matters will be:

People got the right answer last time when they rejected Cameron's deal that would leave us perpetually half-out. They knew that the only way to fulfil our manifest European destiny was to vote for a break with the status quo.

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

People got the right answer last time when they rejected Cameron's deal that would leave us perpetually half-out. They knew that the only way to fulfil our manifest European destiny was to vote for a break with the status quo.
    I think perhaps you are stretching what people knew that result would lead to.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Just think - in an infinite multiverse, some universe somewhere must have May's deal winning. Presumably that's the one she's hoping to quantum leap home to tomorrow night
    kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

That’s fair given how often the EU have used that tactic in the past. I am sure there are plenty of Remainers in the “as often as it takes” frame of mind
    Barnesian said:

Floater said:

no food, none at all?

There is no substitute for a loo roll - though when I were a lad in Oldham, we used the Radio Times torn into sheets, with a hole punched through, hanging on a string. My job were to remove the staples. Seriously.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

That's like Tony Benn'sargument that the 1983 election was the largest ever vote for socialism.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Barnesian said:

Floater said:

no food, none at all?

Look on the bright side: No more fatbergs!
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

A shame that neither will get what they want!

They will both get leave in due course. Which is what they want. Anything after that is more guesswork than prediction. My guess is that JC won't get the chance to inaugurate his Venezuelan utopia, and that TM will see someone else lead on the final agreement. I'm afraid even guesswork fails after that.

• Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Floater said:

no food, none at all?

There is no substitute for a loo roll - though when I were a lad in Oldham, we used the Radio Times torn into sheets, with a hole punched through, hanging on a string. My job were to remove the staples. Seriously.
    I feel a series of “Yorkshire man” posts incoming....
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.
    Not wholly,no, but it is a superficially good line.

kle4 said:

Unless his hand is forced. Should the Conservative Hard Remainers break away and offer to prop Corbyn up then he would be forced to attempt his unicorn renegotiation strategy - which would almost certainly result either in a flat rejection of further talks by the EU27 (i.e. here's the Withdrawal Agreement, take it or leave it,) or an Andrex Soft Brexit - and No Deal would become an impossibility. Parliament would then either revoke, vote a WA straight through, or call a Deal/Remain referendum - most likely the latter in those circumstances.

Labour's membership as well as the PLP are overwhelmingly pro-EU: if he tried to face both down at the same time in pursuit of anything resembling a Hard Brexit then the Labour Party would implode.
    kle4 said:

FPT:

murali_s said:

Evening folks!

More likely No Brexit...

60% No Deal Brexit

SO...

If Europe is the hill they wish to die on, they ought.
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Yes, 'End the chaos' is not a bad line (better than people's vote) albeit still plenty superficial.
    Make Britain Sane Again!
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.
    Oh, yes it would. Mostly. If we can get off this nightmare rollercoaster, public appetite for getting on again will be very low indeed. The Brexit ultras will go back to trying to strike up random conversations with reluctant people on the bus.
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.
    The people against the powerful.

You told them once. Tell them again.

They weren't listening then. They're still not listening now.

Remind them who they work for.

They have nothing but contempt for you. This is your chance to tell them what you think of them.

And so on. And so forth. Forever.

• viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,233
    edited January 2019
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.
    What, you mean it would be a blatant lie used to swing opinion in a referendum? Well, there's a novelty... :(
    Floater said:

no food, none at all?

We are not very self sufficient in food. The mystery was why the Channel Tunnel would disappear, next on the list?
    kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

They have nothing but contempt for you. This is your chance to tell them what you think of them.

All fine slogans...except so many leave supporters have made clear they despise the deal. I'm to believe, when there's been so little switching from remain to leave or leave to remain, that leave will be more motivated in a scenario which involves a deal so many despise?
  • Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.
    Indeed. This is the Remainer delusion; the idea that simply by winning a referendum they would have resolved anything at all. The public will have seen the contempt in which they are held by Parliament and that 50% (+/- 2 or 3 %) odd who still want to Leave would have no qualms about using every possible tactic to make sure this is not the end.

I said on here before the last referendum that if Leave lost I would not campaign for another vote - just sit back and enjoy the increasing chaos that would result from a reluctant Remain which the EU would obviously take as a sign of complete acquiescence to their plans. I would have loved the 'I told you so' opportunities and the increasing frustration and anger on both sides.

Now I have been shown that it is not necessary or desirable to accept democratic results. It is a lesson millions of people have learned and if we do end up staying in they are going to find all sorts of ways to make both the Remainers and the EU pay.
    kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Might help get out the Leave vote, but will convert no one and will fail unless it turns out nearly all the survivors of the 17.4 million voters. I cannot see it myself.

kle4 said:

Unless his hand is forced. Should the Conservative Hard Remainers break away and offer to prop Corbyn up then he would be forced to attempt his unicorn renegotiation strategy - which would almost certainly result either in a flat rejection of further talks by the EU27 (i.e. here's the Withdrawal Agreement, take it or leave it,) or an Andrex Soft Brexit - and No Deal would become an impossibility. Parliament would then either revoke, vote a WA straight through, or call a Deal/Remain referendum - most likely the latter in those circumstances.

Labour's membership as well as the PLP are overwhelmingly pro-EU: if he tried to face both down at the same time in pursuit of anything resembling a Hard Brexit then the Labour Party would implode.
    Corbyn’s problem though is that Labour voters aren’t overwhelmingly pro-EU. If he backs Remain or a second referendum he still needs them to stay loyal and turn out. That may not be the case particularly in too many Labour marginals.

Hard Remainers might walk through the lobby with him on the second referendum but difficult to see them offering to prop him up even if they went to the LibDems where Cable certainly would.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leave has "Who rules us - the voters or the MPs?"
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,233
    edited January 2019

If I had a betting bank I would put some on us leaving on March 29th

Go on: spoil me. Which bookie would you place that bet on?

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

How does that line work when you're asking people to accept a version of Leave determined by politicians?
    kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

All fine slogans...except so many leave supporters have made clear they despise the deal. I'm to believe, when there's been so little switching from remain to leave or leave to remain, that leave will be more motivated in a scenario which involves a deal so many despise?
    It would depend whether the argument that prevailed was vote down this wicked deal, or what part of leave don't they understand?
  • I have read about the best solution to the problem. A terrible disaster is going to befall the United Kingdom and we all need to leave for Australia. Two very large ark ships are to be built (in Poland) to accommodate us on the voyage, but as we all hate each other so much people need to be split up. Supporters of Hard Brexit please board Ark B (for Brexit). Everyone else will follow on ark A

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

The options are chosen by MPs.
    kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

When it comes down to it, how many leavers are serious that remain - with all the baggage of ever closer union, the inevitable EU army and tax harmonisation and everything else that comes along with it - is really better than a "bad" deal?

When it comes to the crunch I can't see many if any leavers backing remain over the deal in a hypothetical referendum, Brexit is just Brexit to most people outside the Westminster bubble.

• Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Might help get out the Leave vote, but will convert no one and will fail unless it turns out nearly all the survivors of the 17.4 million voters. I cannot see it myself.
    That assumes that Remain would get anywhere near the support they got last time. They would not. Both sides would see a significant decrease in their turnout - which in itself would hugely undermine the legitimacy of the vote.
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

It would depend whether the argument that prevailed was vote down this wicked deal, or what part of leave don't they understand?
    It doesn't matter which prevails, it matters are there enough of the former to see remain over the line? Remain is fired up. Leave is not. All it will take is a few percent less for leave.
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

MPs are chosen by us. They won't do as instructed? Then change them.....

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

That assumes that Remain would get anywhere near the support they got last time. They would not. Both sides would see a significant decrease in their turnout - which in itself would hugely undermine the legitimacy of the vote.
    Why would remain see a significant decrease? Few have switched as we continually hear, and this is the last best hope they have.

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

MPs are chosen by us. They won't do as instructed? Then change them.....
    If we vote to remain the instruction will be followed. And if that happens do you think MPs who voted for the referendum will be 'changed'? Of course not.

If there was a chance that MPs would, as a whole, suffer from remaining happening, then it would not be such a major option right now.
  • kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Why would remain see a significant decrease? Few have switched as we continually hear, and this is the last best hope they have.
    Because there are many who voted remain reluctantly last time who are turned off by being asked to vote again. There was really very little great enthusiasm for the EU in the last vote. That will be even less if it happens again.

kle4 said:

Corbyn’s problem though is that Labour voters aren’t overwhelmingly pro-EU. If he backs Remain or a second referendum he still needs them to stay loyal and turn out. That may not be the case particularly in too many Labour marginals.

Hard Remainers might walk through the lobby with him on the second referendum but difficult to see them offering to prop him up even if they went to the LibDems where Cable certainly would.
    I can see them propping up Corbyn for long enough to get a resolution to Brexit, but after that the rickety coalition would have no mandate or platform and there would have to be a General Election.

It's also possible that a National Government could be formed to similarly resolve Brexit, with the bulk of the PLP acting in concert with a larger portion of the Conservatives, bypassing both May and Corbyn - but then we're into genuine realignment territory and the logistics become more challenging.
    Anyway, True Detective season 3 beckons (supposedly back on top form....).

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Well, lets just wait and see. I think Remain will turnout in droves.

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Because there are many who voted remain reluctantly last time who are turned off by being asked to vote again. There was really very little great enthusiasm for the EU in the last vote. That will be even less if it happens again.
    There's a lot more chaos involved in leave this time too. Remain can point to so many leave supporters saying how bad the deal is. They can quite honestly say that if so many leave people think it is not worth having, why would the voters.
  • Anyway, True Detective season 3 beckons (supposedly back on top form....).

It is and it is....

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Whether or not you turn out to be right about the total number of votes cast for Remain, it's self-evident that the number of enthusiastic and determined supporters of Remain is much higher than it was in 2016.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281

I have read about the best solution to the problem. A terrible disaster is going to befall the United Kingdom and we all need to leave for Australia. Two very large ark ships are to be built (in Poland) to accommodate us on the voyage, but as we all hate each other so much people need to be split up. Supporters of Hard Brexit please board Ark B (for Brexit). Everyone else will follow on ark A

What did Australia do to deserve that?

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Lol. When was the last time that the turnout in any vote actually mattered, in terms of the result? You need to take a step back and look at some of the nonsense you post.

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

And therein lies Remain's problem.

More people feel passionately against the EU than are passionately for it. Remain failed to make a positive case for the EU in 2016, they've failed to make one since then (doubling down on project fear) and I doubt they would be able to put forward a positive case for the EU in 2019. Remain's strongest argument is that it is the least worst option. Hardly something that gets people marching down the polling stations.

Meanwhile leavers will be riled up and angry. Seeing the establishment attempting to overrule the 2016 result. Having the opportunity to stick two fingers up at them. They'll vote.

Moreover, I think there is a fundamental sense of fair play as part of our national character. Forcing people to vote twice just feels wrong. Undemocratic. The sort of thing tinpot dictatorships do, not something that's done over here. With so many people who voted remain the last time ambivalent about the EU at best, I think the leave vote is far more likely to turn out in force while remainers (soft remainers - not the "People's" vote mob) stay home.

I have read about the best solution to the problem. A terrible disaster is going to befall the United Kingdom and we all need to leave for Australia. Two very large ark ships are to be built (in Poland) to accommodate us on the voyage, but as we all hate each other so much people need to be split up. Supporters of Hard Brexit please board Ark B (for Brexit). Everyone else will follow on ark A

Sounds suspiciously like that wheeze from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy...

Hard Brexiteers get to emigrate to Australia, everyone else gets wiped out by a plague. That sounds like a win for the Hard Brexiteers to me.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.
    Indeed. This is the Remainer delusion; the idea that simply by winning a referendum they would have resolved anything at all. The public will have seen the contempt in which they are held by Parliament and that 50% (+/- 2 or 3 %) odd who still want to Leave would have no qualms about using every possible tactic to make sure this is not the end.

I said on here before the last referendum that if Leave lost I would not campaign for another vote - just sit back and enjoy the increasing chaos that would result from a reluctant Remain which the EU would obviously take as a sign of complete acquiescence to their plans. I would have loved the 'I told you so' opportunities and the increasing frustration and anger on both sides.

Now I have been shown that it is not necessary or desirable to accept democratic results. It is a lesson millions of people have learned and if we do end up staying in they are going to find all sorts of ways to make both the Remainers and the EU pay.
    Er, such as...?

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

At a guess, the MPs?

Sounds suspiciously like that wheeze from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy...

Hard Brexiteers get to emigrate to Australia, everyone else gets wiped out by a plague. That sounds like a win for the Hard Brexiteers to me.
    As I recall however the Gogalfrincham Ark B cohort was also wiped out by an especially cold winter.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Evening all :)

Big day tomorrow (my birthday, actually, something else happening but of no import).

For me, there are and only ever have been two credible positions for the UK via a vis the EU - all in or all out. Our half-hearted rebate-obsessed opt-out ridden mean-spirited excuse of a membership has been wholly unsatisfactory for both the UK AND the EU.

We can't go back as we were - we could go back as full members embracing the Euro, Schengen and the fast track to political integration but there's little or no constituency for that.

So we leave, wishing the EU well and wanting to be on the best possible terms with whatever the Union becomes. That Union will have two problems on its peripheries - the UK on one side and Russia on the other. Very different problems but neither easy to resolve let alone everything happening to the south.
    kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

You t

And therein lies Remain's problem.

More people feel passionately against the EU than are passionately for it. Remain failed to make a positive case for the EU in 2016, they've failed to make one since then (doubling down on project fear) and I doubt they would be able to put forward a positive case for the EU in 2019. Remain's strongest argument is that it is the least worst option. Hardly something that gets people marching down the polling stations.

Meanwhile leavers will be riled up and angry. Seeing the establishment attempting to overrule the 2016 result. Having the opportunity to stick two fingers up at them. They'll vote.

Moreover, I think there is a fundamental sense of fair play as part of our national character. Forcing people to vote twice just feels wrong. Undemocratic. The sort of thing tinpot dictatorships do, not something that's done over here. With so many people who voted remain the last time ambivalent about the EU at best, I think the leave vote is far more likely to turn out in force while remainers (soft remainers - not the "People's" vote mob) stay home.
    Like I have said, if Leavers really believed this guff, they would have no fear of a #Peoplesvote.
    ydoethur said:

As I recall however the Gogalfrincham Ark B cohort was also wiped out by an especially cold winter.
    Ah, but did the Golgafrinchans land in Australia?
    edited January 2019

ydoethur said:

Ah, but did the Golgafrinchans land in Australia?
    It's snow joke.

Good night.

(PS you mean 'crash' not 'land'.)
This discussion has been closed.