Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB 2018 betting review – Next CON leader

124»

Comments

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,483

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Next Con leader? Gove for me. His not resigning was crucial and I sense there will be a reward once Brexit is delivered. I think May will appoint him Chancellor with strategic oversight of the FTA talks, leaving her to concentrate on other matters such as stopping people coming here. They will almost be twin PMs. Given such a platform I believe that MG’s undoubted ability will run riot and by 2021 when TM steps down he will be a slam dunk to replace her. He will be odds on by then, not the 12/1 shot that he is now. Fill your boots.

Looking further ahead, I find it interesting that Gove has a son. Now I don’t know the boy, therefore this is pure unbridled speculation, but I would wager that he is just as bright as his dad and has a keen interest in politics and, in particular, the Conservative Party. Political dynasties are not something that we in this country are comfortable with, but one can imagine (if one tries extremely hard) how that might change under these circumstances. Not a betting proposition, I hasten to add, more of a glimpse into a possible future.

If Gove is the next Conservative leader, I would vote for the anti-Semite.
    Perhaps he could be moved back to education? Unfinished business.
    And totally get rid of the teachers' Tory vote
    Just as Hunt totally got rid of the doctors’ Tory vote.
    Nah, plenty of my colleagues vote Tory. Indeed, I have great fun winding up one of my colleagues about how Corbyn will ban his private practice. :)
    There are 9 doctors in my family .
    Yes, agency locums do get paid well. It is a feature, not a bug, of Brexit to drive up wages of sturdy British yeomen like yours truly :)
    I think it’s a function of seeing so many British trained newly qualified’s go to Australia, NZ, Canada etc myself. This was still a major problem even when freedom of movement was allowing large numbers of EU doctors in to staff the NHS. Brexit hasn’t changed that.

The numbers going to Australia etc haven't changed for some years. The biggest changeover recent years is the numbers leaving practice entirely. This article is a little old, but I think the retention figure has dropped further.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/04/almost-half-of-junior-doctors-left-nhs-after-foundation-training

• grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

+++++BREAKING NEWS+++++ We have a wren in the house that has defied all attempts to re-locate it outdoors.

It is currently hiding in the Christmas tree.....

Can't you just pretend it's a drone and shoot it down?

Disclaimer: Only kidding - I'm actually a vegetarian :)
    Drones aren't a vegetable or a good source of protein.
  • Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Next Con leader? Gove for me. His not resigning was crucial and I sense there will be a reward once Brexit is delivered. I think May will appoint him Chancellor with strategic oversight of the FTA talks, leaving her to concentrate on other matters such as stopping people coming here. They will almost be twin PMs. Given such a platform I believe that MG’s undoubted ability will run riot and by 2021 when TM steps down he will be a slam dunk to replace her. He will be odds on by then, not the 12/1 shot that he is now. Fill your boots.

Looking further ahead, I find it interesting that Gove has a son. Now I don’t know the boy, therefore this is pure unbridled speculation, but I would wager that he is just as bright as his dad and has a keen interest in politics and, in particular, the Conservative Party. Political dynasties are not something that we in this country are comfortable with, but one can imagine (if one tries extremely hard) how that might change under these circumstances. Not a betting proposition, I hasten to add, more of a glimpse into a possible future.

Nah, plenty of my colleagues vote Tory. Indeed, I have great fun winding up one of my colleagues about how Corbyn will ban his private practice. :)
    . The Hunt effect. I think the Tories are needlessly sacrificing the public sector vote.
    Yes, agency locums do get paid well. It is a feature, not a bug, of Brexit to drive up wages of sturdy British yeomen like yours truly :)
    NHS locums are still entitled NHS pensions on their locum earnings if they opt in and continue to pay into the scheme
    When did that come in? Once upon a time, as a pharmacist, I used to locum in hospitals and there was never any question of that. Furthermore I had to be paid though a company, or provide evidence of 'registered' self-employment.
    The process is described on the internet and the BMA website. I wouldnt know if or when it changed I’m afraid. I’m not a medic myself.
    notme2 said:

Foxy said:

Whoops...

Vegans banned by Lewes pub during hunt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46695991

Vegans? From Vega? You can't be Sirius!
    The pub landlord wasn't going to take the risk of them not drinking Beetle Juice......
    Though the Landlord may get himself in trouble as there is a legal case that veganism may well be a religion, and therefore a protected characteristic in law.

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1078679255163248642?s=19
    Only if we abandon the concept of avoiding retrospective laws.
    I think the case is based on existing British law.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,537

Resolutions for 2019:

1) Be ruder to leavers
    2) Be ruder about Theresa May
    3) Be ruder about Jeremy Corbyn
    4) Be ruder about celebrity centrists on twitter
    5) Eat more pineapple on pizza

You're being too hard on yourself. 1 - 4 just aren't possible.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Nah, plenty of :)
    . The Hunt effect. I think the Tories are needlessly sacrificing the public sector vote.
    NHS locums are still entitled NHS pensions on their locum earnings if they opt in and continue to pay into the scheme
    When did that come in? Once upon a time, as a pharmacist, I used to locum in hospitals and there was never any question of that. Furthermore I had to be paid though a company, or provide evidence of 'registered' self-employment.
    The process is described on the internet and the BMA website. I wouldnt know if or when it changed I’m afraid. I’m not a medic myself.
    Yes, it iscorrect, but NHS locum rates are barely better than substantive ones. The realmoney is as an agency locum, which doesn't carry these benefits. It can be paid via a company too, with tax savings.

Resolutions for 2019:

1) Be ruder to leavers

That doesn't mean I can't try, dammit.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,898
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Political dynasties are not something that we in this country are comfortable with, but one can imagine (if one tries extremely hard) how that might change under these circumstances. Not a betting proposition, I hasten to add, more of a glimpse into a possible future.

I think it’s a function of seeing so many British trained newly qualified’s go to Australia, NZ, Canada etc myself. This was still a major problem even when freedom of movement was allowing large numbers of EU doctors in to staff the NHS. Brexit hasn’t changed that.

The numbers going to Australia etc haven't changed for some years. The biggest changeover recent years is the numbers leaving practice entirely. This article is a little old, but I think the retention figure has dropped further.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/04/almost-half-of-junior-doctors-left-nhs-after-foundation-training

While a few people never practice the profession for which they have some years training, I think that it's both incredibly sad that a significant proportion do, and something to which the professional and training authorities ought to pay attention.
  • Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Numbers leaving entirely also rings true - both newly qualifieds and early retirement. My sister lectures at a teaching hospital. She says retention has been a major problem for years and is not getting better.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,052
    HYUFD said:

Gove may be an able Cabinet Minister but he needs to improve his abysmal poll rating before Tory MPs and members consider making him leader

I agree, and he needs time to do that. If I thought that the contest would be in 2019 rather than 2021 I would not be backing him. If it's next year, and therefore under stressed circumstances, I think (and please accept that my normally bland and pleasantish face has contorted itself into something wholly different as I type these next 6 words) that it will be Boris Johnson.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,565
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Looking further ahead, I find it interesting that Gove has a son. Now I don’t know the boy, therefore this is pure unbridled speculation, but I etting proposition, I hasten to add, more of a glimpse into a possible future.

Yes, it iscorrect, but NHS locum rates are barely better than substantive ones. The realmoney is as an agency locum, which doesn't carry these benefits. It can be paid via a company too, with tax savings.
    'Tax savings'.

That's one way to describe it.

Resolutions for 2019:

1) Be ruder to leavers

Fair point. My resolution is to be a better person, which is similarly unattainable.
  • Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

It’s very lucrative for early retires not to take the pension. There are groups of them on Twitter you can see all bragging about how much they are ripping off the NHS. All seem to be Labour supporters enjoying free market economics from abysmal NHS management.

Just as an aside: can anyone pinpoint exactly when the Tories managed to transition themselves into the Conservative Reactionary Anti-european Party?

It started with party's growing divisions over Thatcher's defenestration, the ERM, Black Wednesday and Maastricht. So, 89-92.
  • AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited December 2018

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Looking further ahead, I find it interesting that Gove has a son. Now I don’t know the boy, therefore this is pure unbridled speculation, but I etting proposition, I hasten to add, more of a glimpse into a possible future.

'Tax savings'.

Tax avoidance is perfectly legal. If Gov wants a different tax result, it should change the rules - whether for multinationals or self employed. Fulminating about how evil a legal activity is, simply to whip up public hysteria, is ignorant and foolish.

Just as an aside: can anyone pinpoint exactly when the Tories managed to transition themselves into the Conservative Reactionary Anti-european Party?

It started with party's growing divisions over Thatcher's defenestration, the ERM, Black Wednesday and Maastricht. So, 89-92.
    Interesting, somehow I thought they were CRAP before then but you might be right.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Resolutions for 2019:

1) Be ruder to leavers

Have you considered that being less rude rather than more rude in 2019 might be a good idea?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,927

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

'Tax savings'.

Tax avoidance is perfectly legal. If Gov wants a different tax result, it should change the rule - whether for multinationals or self employed. I
    It's almost like people behave in their own financial self interest.

The trouble is that in a globalised society those with the skills can easily shop around and move to a more advantageous jurisdiction. It is a problem. Society is broken, but the more money you have as a result of your skills being in demand, the easier it is to bugger off somewhere else.
    ydoethur said:

There were plenty of teachers who saw through Corbyn's lies in his last manifesto.

Well of course there is no such thing as the 'teacher vote'. It would be disrespectful to the profession to talk like that. Nevertheless Corbyn in 2017 did better than any previous Labour leader in gaining their support at the ballot box. Although I suppose our old friend Brexit had a lot to do with that. To risk another generalization, I bet there are very few active teachers who ... no, stop, it's a bad habit, time to kick it.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

It’s very lucrative for early retires not to take the pension. There are groups of them on Twitter you can see all bragging about how much they are ripping off the NHS. All seem to be Labour supporters enjoying free market economics from abysmal NHS management.
    ??? Do you mean "...for early retirees to take their pension..." or are you saying it's lucrative for them to defer their pension?
  • kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

'Tax savings'.

Tax avoidance is perfectly legal. If Gov wants a different tax result, it should change the rule - whether for multinationals or self employed. I

The trouble is that in a globalised society those with the skills can easily shop around and move to a more advantageous jurisdiction. It is a problem. Society is broken, but the more money you have as a result of your skills being in demand, the easier it is to bugger off somewhere else.
    Yep. Any sensible Gov would try and fix a broken society not make it worse as Hunt has done.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

The process is described on the internet changed I’m afraid. I’m not a medic myself.
    Yes, gs.
    'Tax savings'.

Tax avoidance is perfectly legal. If Gov wants a different tax result, it should change the rules - whether for multinationals or self employed. Fulminating about how evil a legal activity is, simply to whip up public hysteria, is ignorant and foolish.
    However, setting up a bogus limited company and making out that you sell services to a whole range of clients when in reality you've sat at the same desk for the past three years doing the same job as a staff employee but getting paid more and paying less tax is something that I do get somewhat vexed about.
  • Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

??? Do you mean "...for early retirees to take their pension..." or are you saying it's lucrative for them to defer their pension?
    No. I am saying it’s very lucrative for them to take early retirement, continue working as locum sat locum rates without the burden of further pension contributions in.
  • Floater said:

A jewish friend drew this to my attention

https://twitter.com/HillelNeuer/status/1078001068712386560

The UNGA is an absolutely farcical organisation.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,813
    Han Han the Parody man

https://twitter.com/JeremyCIarkson_
  • Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Next Con leader? Gove for me. His not resigning was crucial and I sense there will be a reward once Brexit is delivered. I think May will appoint him Chancellor with strategic oversight of the FTA talks, leaving her to concentrate on other matters such as stopping people coming here. They will almost be twin PMs. Given such a platform I believe that MG’s undoubted ability will run riot and by 2021 when TM steps down he will be a slam dunk to replace her. He will be odds on by then, not the 12/1 shot that he is now. Fill your boots

The process is described on the internet changed I’m afraid. I’m not a medic myself.
    Yes, gs.
    'Tax savings'.

However, setting up a bogus limited company and making out that you sell services to a whole range of clients when in reality you've sat at the same desk for the past three years doing the same job as a staff employee but getting paid more and paying less tax is something that I do get somewhat vexed about.
    Sure, but that is often down to employers like the BBC.

I thought that IR35 had stopped that.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,934
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Gove may be an able Cabinet Minister but he needs to improve his abysmal poll rating before Tory MPs and members consider making him leader

I agree, and he needs time to do that. If I thought that the contest would be in 2019 rather than 2021 I would not be backing him. If it's next year, and therefore under stressed circumstances, I think (and please accept that my normally bland and pleasantish face has contorted itself into something wholly different as I type these next 6 words) that it will be Boris Johnson.
    If there was a general election before 2022 and May had been ousted as Tory leader of would likely be Boris Johnson v Jeremy Corbyn
    kinabalu said:

If only!
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Foxy said:

Whoops...

The pub landlord wasn't going to take the risk of them not drinking Beetle Juice......
    Though the Landlord may get himself in trouble as there is a legal case that veganism may well be a religion, and therefore a protected characteristic in law.

Better wait until after Brexit. Vegans may be required to vary their diet more.
    They may get eaten by famished crowds.
    edited December 2018
    kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

'Tax savings'.

Though that applies equally to those from South Asia, Africa and southern and eastern Europe coming to the UK as it does to those from the UK going to Canada, the USA, Australia, Singapore etc

Resolutions for 2019:

1) Be ruder to leavers

Would you class Richard Madeley as a celebrity centrist?
  • Tax avoidance is perfectly legal. If Gov wants a different tax result, it should change the rules - whether for multinationals or self employed. Fulminating about how evil a legal activity is, simply to whip up public hysteria, is ignorant and foolish.

That and the government's bloated tax system that penalises honest businesses that don't operate that way. When we hire someone we are obligated by law to give them a whole plethora of benefits including paying towards their pension, sick pay, holiday pay etc - and get taxed 12% Employers National Insurance on top of that for the privilege of giving someone a job. Between NI and Pensions alone that's 15% as of April on top of whatever you're paying someone.

Or you can avoid all that by making someone self-employed. Cutting their job security, cutting their benefits, and being taxed massively less as a result.

Employers NI should be abolished. We shouldn't be punishing employers who do the right thing with punitive taxes that are easily avoided by making your employees jobs less secure.

If only!

Well they are breaking the law then.

Shop them!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,090
    edited December 2018

Resolutions for 2019:

1) Be ruder to leavers

Fair point. My resolution is to be a better person, which is similarly unattainable.
    I had a friend once whose NYR was to be less conceited. When he was told he'd find it tough, he replied that he was sure somebody of his brilliance would manage somehow.

kinabalu said:

If only!
    I could probably do that legitimately. After all, I have four different sources of income, and I do have a registered company for two of them, and don't pay tax at source on a third.

I've always fought shy of it because I happen to feel I'm a teacher who has other sources of income (and it is four-fifths of my income) rather than a businessman providing multiple services. But I can understand some people might be tempted.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,588
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Whoops...

Too stringy.
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Whoops...

Too stringy.
    Vegans are a bunch of has beans...
    HYUFD said:

If there was a general election before 2022 and May had been ousted as Tory leader it would likely be Boris Johnson v Jeremy Corbyn

I think so. And tough to call. JC, I reckon, but I'd give BoJo half a chance. He appeals to people who don't take politics at all seriously and that constitutes a distressingly large chunk of the British public.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,924
    edited December 2018

That and the government's bloated tax system that penalises honest businesses that don't operate that way. When we hire someone we are obligated by law to give them a whole plethora of benefits including paying towards their pension, sick pay, holiday pay etc - and get taxed 12% Employers National Insurance on top of that for the privilege of giving someone a job. Between NI and Pensions alone that's 15% as of April on top of whatever you're paying someone.

Or you can avoid all that by making someone self-employed. Cutting their job security, cutting their benefits, and being taxed massively less as a result.

Employers NI should be abolished. We shouldn't be punishing employers who do the right thing with punitive taxes that are easily avoided by making your employees jobs less secure.
    NI brings something like £136bn (see https://obr.uk/forecasts-in-depth/tax-by-tax-spend-by-spend/national-insurance-contributions/ ) into the Government coffers of which it's impossible to see what percentage is employees NI and what percentage is employer NI but I suspect 60% of it comes from Employers NI. So it's not likely to be abolished as its £60bn+ a year.....

Given that with the dividend tax there is little difference between corporate tax + dividends and income tax IR35 is now a battle for employers NI
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

If there was a general election before 2022 and May had been ousted as Tory leader it would likely be Boris Johnson v Jeremy Corbyn

I think so. And tough to call. JC, I reckon, but I'd give BoJo half a chance. He appeals to people who don't take politics at all seriously and that constitutes a distressingly large chunk of the British public.
    BoJo also has charisma unlike May and most other Tory leadership contenders.

He would energise the Tory base against Corbyn in a way no other Tory leader could
  • Tax avoidance is perfectly legal. If Gov wants a different tax result, it should change the rules - whether for multinationals or self employed. Fulminating about how evil a legal activity is, simply to whip up public hysteria, is ignorant and foolish.

I think you can sustain those employment related costs if you are in a business or industry making very high returns because you have, for example, a technically differentiated product or tapping into a growing market and need to attract qualified staff. The trouble we face is that too few businesses are in that position because the U.K. doesn’t offer a competitive R&D climate and has poor infrastructure, expensive power etc.

The result is a plethora of jobs using zero hours contracts paying minimum wage which tends to attract immigrant labour from low paid economies which is making Britain a low productivity, low skilled economy too reliant on debt based consumer spending.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Whoops...

Too stringy.
    Do me a fava.....

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Whoops...

Too stringy.
    Do me a fava.....
    Clearly you've lost your sense of humus.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Whoops...

Too stringy.
    Do me a fava.....
    I do hope you are imparting your punning qualities onto your students - it is important to encourage young people on the important things after all.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Floater said:

This headline actually made me laugh out loud

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/12/28/jeremy-corbyn-failed-tackle-anti-semitism-upset-emily-thornberry/

"too upset" lol

Pull the other one Jezbollah

"Ms Thornberry drew laughter from the audience when she said that "there isn't a racist or antisemitic bone in his body."

Still some work to do to win them round then......
    She's right - all the anti-semitism is in his brain.
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Whoops...

Too stringy.
    Do me a fava.....
    I do hope you are imparting your punning qualities onto your students - it is important to encourage young people on the important things after all.
    Sadly my best punner is a traitor went elsewhere for his A-levels. The others just aren't as with it. They didn't even get my awesome pun about HMRC having more employees than the Armed Forces because a tax is the best form of defence.
  • eek said:

NI brings something like £136bn (see https://obr.uk/forecasts-in-depth/tax-by-tax-spend-by-spend/national-insurance-contributions/ ) into the Government coffers of which it's impossible to see what percentage is employees NI and what percentage is employer NI but I suspect 60% of it comes from Employers NI. So it's not likely to be abolished as its £60bn+ a year.....

Given that with the dividend tax there is little difference between corporate tax + dividends and income tax IR35 is now a battle for employers NI
    I work as a contractor. The end clients will not offer me contract roles unless I operate a limited company. After changes to the Flat Rate VAT scheme and the dividend tax, my accountant and I reckon that the net benefit to me of working this way rather than PAYE is about £100 a year. In my sector I see lots of the contract roles now going to Indian consultancies at much lower day rates - onshore offshoring. I don't see the tax take going up in my sector under any scenario.

eek said:

I work as a contractor. The end clients will not offer me contract roles unless I operate a limited company. After changes to the Flat Rate VAT scheme and the dividend tax, my accountant and I reckon that the net benefit to me of working this way rather than PAYE is about £100 a year. In my sector I see lots of the contract roles now going to Indian consultancies at much lower day rates - onshore offshoring. I don't see the tax take going up in my sector under any scenario.
    Come April 2020 I suspect they will only offer you the role if you use an umbrella company (and don't get me started on how HMRC have screwed even that up)..
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited December 2018
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Whoops...

Too stringy.
    Do me a fava.....
    Thymeing is everything

Would they not accept you as a VAT registered sole trader?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    Who is JRM backing? He is never going to win himself but he could be very influential in the result.

Who is JRM backing? He is never going to win himself but he could be very influential in the result.

Boris, I believe.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    kle4 said:

Boris, I believe.
    Oh, as you were then.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,927
    eek said:

eek said:

Come April 2020 I suspect they will only offer you the role if you use an umbrella company (and don't get me started on how HMRC have screwed even that up)..
    I used an umbrella company, once.

I was paid weekly at the time, they failed to pay me at all for the first six weeks then paid me all at once on week six.

Because of this, they calculated my tax as if I was going to be paid the same amount as I was on week 6 (for 6 weeks of work) for the next 52 weeks and taxed me accordingly. Didn't get the money from HMRC back for another year.

Suffice to say I told them to stick their umbrella up their arse and set up a ltd company straight away.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,982
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Whoops...

Too stringy.
    Not so much a has bean, more a never wurst.

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Whoops...

Too stringy.
    Not so much a has bean, more a never wurst.
    That's an offal pun.
    kinabalu said:

Would they not accept you as a VAT registered sole trader?
    If you work via an agency you cannot be self employed - due to dodgy agency tax avoidance back in the 1970's....
    HYUFD said:

BoJo also has charisma unlike May and most other Tory leadership contenders.

He does, I grant you, have buckets of charisma. Sort of bloke who you cannot help paying attention to, even if only to wince or snigger. It's an asset. It's far better than to be widely respected and universally ignored, like Chris Grayling or Liam Fox.

But Michael Gove has charisma too. It's a quieter version of it than Boris's, yes, but it's nonetheless in his locker. When he comes on the TV, I always stop what I'm doing and turn the sound up. There aren't too many politicians, especially tory ones, of whom I can say that. But Gove? There's something about him. He connects with me. And I'm sure I'm not alone either.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    new thread peeps
    eek said:

If you work via an agency you cannot be self employed - due to dodgy agency tax avoidance back in the 1970's....

Ah yes, the dreaded agency. Forgot about them. Pity they have to be in the chain. Money for old rope* a lot of the time.

* Not that you are old rope, I don't mean!
  • Floater said:

A jewish friend drew this to my attention

https://twitter.com/HillelNeuer/status/1078001068712386560

The UNGA is an absolutely farcical organisation.
    The Partition of Palestine in 1947 was approved by the UNGA Resolution 181.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,312

I always liked John McDonnell's comment - "Jeremy is teaching me to be a nicer person, but I'm only halfway through the course."
This discussion has been closed.