Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mad Tory Friday part 2…..

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

"Brexiteer Andrew Bridgen has told a national newspaper he believes the Tories are hiding the number of letters of no confidence."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/brexiteer-believes-48-letters-of-no-confidence-in-theresa-may-have-been-submitted-1-5783021

Well how difficult can it be for them all to say who they are? Since, only half the required number appear to have gone public, we can safely assume there are well short of 48 letters.
    Are we assuming that everyone who resigned from the government also sent a letter?
    No, sending a letter is a much bigger step. I suspect Mcvey might have done so given she's married to Philip Davies and the FOBT turnaround though. I doubt any of the others have
    Raab said not
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

One thing Labour voting down the deal won't do is lead to a change of Government. In fact it could even keep the Tories in power - if May's deal fails to get through, say May then resigns and Boris Johnson or David Davis is then in charge.
    The DUP's supply and confidence deal will probably be back on and the Gov't could just run the clock down to the 29th March at which point we leave with no deal.

No Deal will not be allowed. MP's do not want it, business does not want it and an increasing number of the public do not want it.

May's Deal and Remain are the only two options left.
    Exactly so.
    Exactly not so. The claim makes as much sense as saying

Cancer will not be allowed. MP's do not want it, business does not want it and an increasing number of the public do not want it.

A recession will not be allowed. MP's do not want it, business does not want it and an increasing number of the public do not want it.

etc.
    Cancer is a natural phenomenon and cannot be negotiated with.

Political agreements are manmade and subject to completely different rules.
    They may be different, but they can be at least as ineluctable.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

"Brexiteer Andrew Bridgen has told a national newspaper he believes the Tories are hiding the number of letters of no confidence."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/brexiteer-believes-48-letters-of-no-confidence-in-theresa-may-have-been-submitted-1-5783021

Well how difficult can it be for them all to say who they are? Since, only half the required number appear to have gone public, we can safely assume there are well short of 48 letters.
    Are we assuming that everyone who resigned from the government also sent a letter?
    No, sending a letter is a much bigger step. I suspect Mcvey might have done so given she's married to Philip Davies and the FOBT turnaround though. I doubt any of the others have
    Boris will probably publish his letter in his Telegraph column on Monday morning! :D
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    IanB2 said:

justin124 said:

rcs1000 said:

@justin124

Presumably the countries with the weakest currencies over the last three years have registered the strongest economic growth...

As I am sure you well know that is a non sequitur. It is much more related to cause and effect in that economic strength can boost demand for a currency whilst weakness can do the opposite. Ceteris Paribus though a weaker currency will boost aggregate demand - as we saw here in the UK in the aftermath of our ignominious ejection from the ERM in September 1992. That certainly laid the basis for several years of good economic growth.
    Yet trashed the Tories' reputation for economic competence for a decade. Just think what actual damage would do.
    But that was politics rather than economics. The Tories had only been grudgingly re-elected in April 1992 - though with a 7.6% lead in the popular vote - and probably would have lost office had Thatcher still been there. People were tiring of them anyway , and the ongoing Maastricht divisions plus sleaze sufficed to kill them off - even before taking account of the Blair impact.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

One thing Labour voting down the deal won't do is lead to a change of Government. In fact it could even keep the Tories in power - if May's deal fails to get through, say May then resigns and Boris Johnson or David Davis is then in charge.
    The DUP's supply and confidence deal will probably be back on and the Gov't could just run the clock down to the 29th March at which point we leave with no deal.

No Deal will not be allowed. MP's do not want it, business does not want it and an increasing number of the public do not want it.

Exactly so.
    Exactly not so. The claim makes as much sense as saying

Cancer will not be allowed. MP's do not want it, business does not want it and an increasing number of the public do not want it.

A recession will not be allowed. MP's do not want it, business does not want it and an increasing number of the public do not want it.

etc.
    Cancer is a natural phenomenon and cannot be negotiated with.

Political agreements are manmade and subject to completely different rules.
    They may be different, but they can be at least as ineluctable.
    .... and unelectable.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Boris will probably publish his letter in his Telegraph column on Monday morning! :D
    He probably doesn't know it goes to Graham Brady
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    edited November 2018

Stephen Barclaycard - your Brexitable Friend!

Thought she might have gone for Stephen Lloyd MP after he said he would vote for her deal yesterday

Apparently his Black Horse was a problem wasn't allowed on Eurostar to Brussels
    Quite a funny feature of Sussex politics that the Gov't have got the Lib Dem vote in Eastbourne but not their own in Lewes for the vote.
    And as for Lee Rowley xD
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Are Davies and McVey actually married., or 'formal' partners? In any event, where's Boris' letter?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Are Davies and McVey actually married., or 'formal' partners? In any event, where's Boris' letter?
    Not sure, they might be "good as" (But not actually) married like me and my fiancee !
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

No Deal will not be allowed. MP's do not want it...

There is a nontrivial chance and an increasing amount of evidence that MPs are a) thick as pigshit, b) actively malevolent, c) criminally negligent, or d) a combination of the three. They are entirely capable of fucking this up.

Under our voting system the majority of our representatives are effectively chosen not by voters but by three or four Party diehards in some back room. Or at best by a small number of members.
    Worse than that - by a small number of members using AV!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

"No books loaned from Barrow Island library in a year"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-46234480
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

That seems like a genuinely serious allegation if he is serious, accusing a colleague within the party of significant procedural impropriety. I'm all for being able to slag off people within your own party, but that seems like a crossed line.
    Leave.eu have managed to produce this somewhat amusing tweet out of Bridgen's mad allegation/joke !

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/1063447615046656000
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Interesting. I wasn't aware of their marriage.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

partnership sorry I forgot they weren't married.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Jesus...could you imagine being married to some notright Tory, Brexit knob....especially when you are one yourself.......
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

That seems like a genuinely serious allegation if he is serious, accusing a colleague within the party of significant procedural impropriety. I'm all for being able to slag off people within your own party, but that seems like a crossed line.
    Leave.eu have managed to produce this somewhat amusing tweet out of Bridgen's mad allegation/joke !

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/1063447615046656000
    When I shared a 6th form class with Graham Brady he was a little shy scroater from Timperley with poor gnashers who couldn't even look at a girl....now he has morphed into a Tory Squire..but with exceptionally good gnashers....
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited November 2018
    tyson said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Jesus...could you imagine being married to some notright Tory, Brexit knob....especially when you are one yourself.......
    I wonder whether they role play?

I am thinking of something like Herr flick and Helga out of Allo Allo! :wink:
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    Amber Rudd into 20-24 with Betfair for next Tory leader.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,844
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    stjohn said:

Amber Rudd into 20-24 with Betfair for next Tory leader.

A Remainer as next leader? Once bitten, etc.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

He is staring at his two letters at this very moment.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    NEW FRED
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,844
    This does seem pretty reminiscent.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1063348828634562560

Well, I won't make the same mistake I made last time. Shame it is not up to me though.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    One thing we have learnt is how utterly thick a lot of our MPs are, across all parties. I wouldn't hire them to make tea let alone anything more difficult. Look at Andrew Bridgen: a moron and arrogant with it. A great puffball of wind.

Or Raab - like a frightened rabbit in front of a Select Committee. Or David Davis: breezily talking nonsense.

The utter mediocrity of most of them is so depressing. Mediocrity coupled with arrogance and self-importance and lacking judgment, experience or empathy. And that's before we get onto the utter shits. That's our political class.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

rcs1000 said:

Let’s just leave without a deal. I think it will be better than the dire predictions.

I'm sure it will be better than the direst predictions. There will be medicine. There will be food.

Imagine, though, that Gross Fixed Capital Formation (i.e. investment) drops from 18% to 15% of GDP, as businesses defer capital expenses given the chaotic situation. And imagine too that households increase their savings rate to compensate for the increased uncertainty. The pound has probably fallen, pushing up the cost of imported oil, and reducing households real spending power.

None of these things are impossible. In fact, I'd suggest they are probable rather than possible.

So, we now are in a recession. Hopefully a mild one, but nevertheless, there are job losses, and the government would like to respond by increasing spending.

The problem is that UK government debt to GDP is at a relatively high level, and the budget deficit is not that small. Simply, the ability to solve our problems via the traditional methods of boosting spending are not unlimited. More debt is rarely the solution to too much debt. We are still suffering from the hangover of the GFC.

Will we survive? Sure. But the government will be blamed for a nasty slowdown. House prices will probably fall.
    The country will still be able to get some medicines but it will not be the state of the art medicine. This is already happening as most major new medicines go to Germany first.

When Brexit first came along I predicted the country was not ready for the implications of hard Brexit and so it could not happen. You need to look at Korea as an example of the standalone model not Singapore. High levels of investment, rapid adoption of technology and large restrictions on consumption. I have not seen one brexiter propose this model
    You know that’s not true, right?

AMOG is a nightmare, NICE is well liked. Tradjenta, for example, wasn’t launched in Germany as (IIRC) is the case for the latest paediatric epilepsy drug
  • Options
    El_SidEl_Sid Posts: 145
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

No deal will happen without anything else happening. That’s why Labour should be supporting May in the national interest.
    Brexit will be halted or dropped before No Deal is allowed to happen. It is in the EU's interest as well as the UK's interest. It would also be hard for all the EU politicians to row back on their assurances that the UK could cancel Brexit. RealPolitik rules....
    Can you talk me through the mechanism of precisely how this will happen if May's deal is voted down (And no they won't replace her with Ken Clarke)
    If May's deal is voted down then we hit the 21 January deadline. If there's not Withdrawal Bill by then, there has to be a Parliamentary vote which in effect becomes a confidence motion. In the resulting chaos, it's anybody's guess what happens - if the DUP walk away then someone needs to work out a way to avoid a statutory confidence motion.
This discussion has been closed.