Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A massive Westminster day ends with TMay still in place

Comments

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Second night in a row where there seems to be more consensus on PB than there is in the Tory party...

I've never seen the like! :smiley:

We should stage a coup. I'll fight Sunil for Transport.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2018
    If that's true, this government is finished.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657
    rpjs said:

Second night in a row where there seems to be more consensus on PB than there is in the Tory party...

Oh Fuck, not Health!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    Absolutely they have. I would now say that there is a 30-40% chance of no Brexit at all, up from less than 10% last week. This is a direct result of complete pillocks looking a gift horse in the mouth, failing to recognise that the May deal, whilst far from perfect, delivered on the key elements of the Brexit vote and, most critically of all, got us out of the European swamp, if not completely onto dry land.

If the ERG have their way, and the EU can be persuaded we are still worth it, we might be stuck in the EU for another generation. They are so self defeating it is almost beyond belief. Morons.
    Yes, Brexiteers delivering Remain would be the sweetest irony ever.
    There have been times today when I honestly thought that many of them deserved nothing less.
    They should welcome that. They are clear this is a bad brexit. May has clearly tried at every turn to keep her party together so if she could have gotten something they liked more she would have, so the pendulum won't swing more in our favour. A deal Labour might get would be even more closely aligned with the EU. The public would, it appears, go for remain over no deal.

Therefore they should be happy to remain. No brexit better than a bad brexit. And no more moaning about it afterwards.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

DavidL said:

Why on earth would business leaders do that. There is nothing in May’s Brexit deal for them and Hammond has done nothing to attract inward investment or boost productivity as Chancellor.
    Because the alternative is no deal, with no preparation because our government is incompetent. But we are where we are as a pretty straight kind of guy once said.
    At the moment, my "big" business is facing either no deal, or transition plus a commitment to retain the current arrangement as part of the future partnership. It would take the Deal in a heartbeat.
    Of course it would. If we wanted no deal we needed to have started work 2 years ago to get everything organised and in place. The government produced some half arsed leaflets in September. A complete shambles for which I for one will not forgive May notwithstanding I support her deal right now.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    geoffw said:

Fraser:

But the risk, here was always that the EU would take Britain’s best offer then demand more. This is precisely what has just happened. Raab discovered at the last minute that the “backstop” clause for Northern Ireland was no longer a last resort, no longer a bridge to a proper free-trade deal. It was to become the basis on which the final Brexit deal would be built. This had been sneaked into the text at the last minute – with Raab only finding about it once the deal was agreed by No 10.

Perhaps the worst of it was the union. British negotiators picked up word that Martin Selmayr, the chief Brussels bureaucrat, had told his officials that the UK must pay a price for Brexit – and that the price is Northern Ireland. He wanted the Brexit transition deal to be written in such a way that, if the United Kingdom wanted to break free and strike a new arrangement, it would have no choice but to leave Northern Ireland behind.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/11/15/despite-revulsion-mrs-mays-deal-confident-opponents-wont-move

WOW!

Theresa May should have rejected the deal outright when they heard what Selmayr was up to.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,010
    edited November 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

I get the impression that the serious politicians said as little as possible today.

Didn't hear a peep out of certain Cabinet ministers, Javid, Hammond etc.

Much like yesterday, they let the idiots rush to the 24 hour news channels, and sat it out. Wise.
    Hammond is one of the main reasons the Brexit deal is so toxic as he has refused funding for no deal preparation which means we have no negotiating leverage. Javid is a straw man who blows with the wind.
    Just 32% support No Deal with Sky News today, there is no point preparing for it as there is not enough support for it in the country.

If No Deal had 50% support that would be a different matter but it does not

https://news.sky.com/story/majority-of-brits-now-against-brexit-and-back-second-eu-referendum-sky-data-poll-11555078
    You miss the point. If you do t prepare for no deal, you have to take what you are given- which is what May has done.
    There was no point preparing for it as there was no majority public support for it, that is the whole point.

The only sustainable Brexit is one with a Deal or single market and or customs union, No Deal just leads to Remain ie no Brexit at all
    The only point in not for no deal.
    Well that is the
    It’s not about no deal and never has been. It’s always been about preparing for no dealto give yourself negotiating leverage and options. BTW, under FPTP no deal is as valid as another Leave scenario - oform of Leave was on the ballot paper.
    It is about No Deal as the EU can read the British polls and the British electorate has no stomach for No Deal.

Had it been 65% Leave and 50% for No Deal then the EU may have felt we believed it but no it was 52% Leave and just 32% for No Deal, the EU knew the Brexit vote was built on a lie ie Leave only scraped a win by promising voters a mythical land of milk and honey and hence they also knew they could dictate terms knowing the British would capitulate or reverse Brexit rather than accept No Deal
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rpjs said:

Oh Fuck, not Health!
    I'll take Culture. I like going to the theatre.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Of course it is true. No other deal is available and everyone seems to think we won't no deal, therefore the DUP will not support the government if this happens.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

I just need 12 routes in Scotland to complete the normal daytime weekday GB National Rail network :)
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited November 2018
    FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

I get the impression that the serious politicians said as little as possible today.

Much like yesterday, they let the idiots rush to the 24 hour news channels, and sat it out. Wise.
    Hammond is one of the main reasons the Brexit deal is so toxic as he has refused funding for no deal preparation which means we have no negotiating leverage. Javid is a straw man who blows with the wind.
    Just 32% support No Deal with Sky News today, there is no point preparing for it as there is not enough support for it in the country.

https://news.sky.com/story/majority-of-brits-now-against-brexit-and-back-second-eu-referendum-sky-data-poll-11555078
    You miss the point. If you do t prepare for no deal, you have to take what you are given- which is what May has done.
    You can't blame Hammond. If he'd said once he was installed as Chancellor, right, let's start paving over Kent, at the very least he'd have been denounced for propagating Project Fear. Remember, it was going to be the easiest deal ever.
    There is a lot more to preparing for no deal than building lorry parks. As it happens, he hasn’t authorised expenditure for even that. He is a disgrace and a v poor Chancellor compared to say Howe and Lawson.
    No deal was always a bluff. Prepare as much as you like but it was never going to happen. It was a bluff. We need to move on.
    It was always a bluff if you didn’t prepare for it and being found out trying to run a bluff, an unconvincing bluff at that, is fatal to negotiations as May has found out to. Britain’s cost
    If I say I am preparing to stick a red hot poker up my bum, most people will guess I am bluffing, however earnest I might try to be. No Deal planning suffered from a similar lack of authenticity. The EU aren't complete idiots.
    That is hardly a valid analogy - especially if haven’t got a poker and you haven’t even warmed it up !
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Well not necessarily. They've said C&S is over unless Theresa May goes...

If true expect the Cabinet to do their duty and act swiftly...
  • Options
    rpjs said:

DavidL said:

Instead we face a real risk of being stuck as supplicants back in the EU without some of our opt outs, probably without our rebate and absolutely no influence in any event as we will be a complete laughing stock.

Believe me, living outside the UK it's quite clear that the UK is already an international laughing stock.
    Can confirm
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

And she still wins the vnoc
  • Options

Foxy said:

rpjs said:

Oh Fuck, not Health!
    I'll take Culture. I like going to the theatre.
    Pensions minister for me please.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

PB has more respect for others than the various Tory tribes do with one another. I now look on their attempts to pretend to be a united party, or that if only that terrible May were not here it would all be hunky dory, with utter contempt. They are treating everyone like absolute cretins even as they still jockey for a premiership which is on its last legs anyway.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,945
    Frankly, Labour considered a laughing stock on brexit according to QT.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Labour hold in Bassetlaw - Lab 441, Con 296, LD 146.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

Fraser:

But the risk, here was always that the EU would take Britain’s best offer then demand more. This is precisely what has just happened. Raab discovered at the last minute that the “backstop” clause for Northern Ireland was no longer a last resort, no longer a bridge to a proper free-trade deal. It was to become the basis on which the final Brexit deal would be built. This had been sneaked into the text at the last minute – with Raab only finding about it once the deal was agreed by No 10.

Perhaps the worst of it was the union. British negotiators picked up word that Martin Selmayr, the chief Brussels bureaucrat, had told his officials that the UK must pay a price for Brexit – and that the price is Northern Ireland. He wanted the Brexit transition deal to be written in such a way that, if the United Kingdom wanted to break free and strike a new arrangement, it would have no choice but to leave Northern Ireland behind.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/11/15/despite-revulsion-mrs-mays-deal-confident-opponents-wont-move

WOW!

Theresa May should have rejected the deal outright when they heard what Selmayr was up to.
    And people want to stay in this club?
  • Options
    Several people seem to be blaming the government/Phil Hammond/David Cameron for not preparing for No Deal.

I'm curious to know what preparation the UK should have be done for:

- No access to European markets for our fisherman
    - An immediate end to our aerospace components being certified for use in aircraft
    - Type approval by the EU for UK-manufactured cars
    - No legal basis for British ex-pats to continue living in the EU
    - No approval for UK agricultural products to be sold in the EU
    - Delays at French ports
    - An end to access to Galileo
    - The impact of No Deal on the Good Friday Agreement
    - An end to the existing arrangements for licensing of veterinary and human medicines
    - An end to recognition by EU countries of the Certificates of Competency of UK seafarers

I'm sure this is all terribly easy. It must be so because Jacob Rees-Mogg doesn't think any of this is a problem.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

And then they still cannot get anything through the Commons and then they lose the next GE anyway. Well worth it.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

I don't think Theresa May would lose a leadership vote. The question is whether she'd decide to stay on with a substantial minority voting against her. Maggie tried to do it in 1990 when she got 204 to Heseltine's 152 but that only lasted a few days.
  • Options

rpjs said:

DavidL said:

Instead we face a real risk of being stuck as supplicants back in the EU without some of our opt outs, probably without our rebate and absolutely no influence in any event as we will be a complete laughing stock.

Believe me, living outside the UK it's quite clear that the UK is already an international laughing stock.
    Can confirm
    I’ve never heard this from anyone but Remainer expats.

Last time I went on holiday, to Dublin, unprompted and without knowledge of my position more people expressed admiration for the Leave vote...
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

rpjs said:

DavidL said:

Can confirm
    Such is Democracy.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

Several people seem to be blaming the government/Phil Hammond/David Cameron for not preparing for No Deal.

- An immediate end to our aerospace components being certified for use in aircraft
    - Delays at French ports
    - An end to the existing arrangements for licensing of veterinary and human medicines
    - An end to recognition by EU countries of the Certificates of Competency of UK seafarers

I'm sure this is all terribly easy. It must be so because Jacob Rees-Mogg doesn't think any of this is a problem.

According to an audience member on Question Time it will be ok because we had the Atlantic convoys in the war.
  • Options
    OT Was talking to a client about the PPF case earlier tonight and who is in the bleeding FT article we referred to ... only antifrank as was - that man gets everywhere!

https://www.ft.com/content/f4788214-b1bf-11e8-99ca-68cf89602132

Do you reckon we might see the floor raised higher than 50% in the (near) future?
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

Fraser:

WOW!

And people want to stay in this club?
    It is Ireland that wants the backstop, no matter how much the Brexiteers want a German to be behind it.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Why on earth would business leaders do that. There is nothing in May’s Brexit deal for them and Hammond has done nothing to attract inward investment or boost productivity as Chancellor.
    Because the alternative is no deal, with no preparation because our government is incompetent. But we are where we are as a pretty straight kind of guy once said.
    At the moment, my "big" business is facing either no deal, or transition plus a commitment to retain the current arrangement as part of the future partnership. It would take the Deal in a heartbeat.
    Of course it would. If we wanted no deal we needed to have started work 2 years ago to get everything organised and in place. The government produced some half arsed leaflets in September. A complete shambles for which I for one will not forgive May notwithstanding I support her deal right now.
    Yet my company has been preparing for a no deal for a long time, as has the rest of my industry (or at least the parts I am aware of).

We really should not have to be told by Government to plan ahead.

But saying that the Government has neglected no deal planning.

Its almost like she wanted a take this or leave it choice (and the world will end if you leave it)
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Their position is incredibly, transparently, cynical but at least is open about prioritising getting Labour into power as the primary objective via a GE.

But they are nothing on the Tories. If the Tories don't want this Brexit, that's fine, they can have no Brexit and Corbyn as PM now for all I care. We shall have to hope he has a competent Cabinet and enough riotous backbenchers to rein him in, it cannot be worse than this current lot.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

to appease the DUP..... seriously????
  • Options

rpjs said:

DavidL said:

Can confirm
    The Japanese view us as a laughing stock?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

I don't think it will get to VONC.

I think the Cabinet will realize the DUP is going to pull the plug and May's deal can't get through the Commons and they'll tell Theresa May she's lost their confidence and they'll all resign en-mass unless she goes.

Never underestimate the Tories self-preservation instincts. Get rid of Theresa and hope something turns up. Or face a January election and probable annihilation at the hands of Corbyn?

It's a no brainer what they'll do...
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited November 2018
    The ERG and the plotters have misjudged the mood today. Folks I've spoken to who otherwise take little or no interest in politics have stated their admiration of May and think she should be allowed to get 'the thing done'. They're very fuzzy on the facts of course but the mood seems to be that May is to be commended for her determination.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

To Stay in Power.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

- Delays at French ports

You really need to offer more detail as a lot of the above is meaningless.

So what do you mean by "Type approval by the EU for UK-manufactured cars"
  • Options
    Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yet my company has been preparing for a no deal for a long time, as has the rest of my industry (or at least the parts I am aware of).

Its almost like she wanted a take this or leave it choice (and the world will end if you leave it)
    I fear your last point is true. Its been dishonest as well as incompetent from the start. I can understand why people are angry with her. But we have arrived at that choice and we need to take it.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

You can't blame Hammond. If he'd said once he was installed as Chancellor, right, let's start paving over Kent, at the very least he'd have been denounced for propagating Project Fear. Remember, it was going to be the easiest deal ever.
    There is a lot more to preparing for no deal than building lorry parks. As it happens, he hasn’t authorised expenditure for even that. He is a disgrace and a v poor Chancellor compared to say Howe and Lawson.
    No deal was always a bluff. Prepare as much as you like but it was never going to happen. It was a bluff. We need to move on.
    It was always a bluff if you didn’t prepare for it and being found out trying to run a bluff, an unconvincing bluff at that, is fatal to negotiations as May has found out to. Britain’s cost
    If I say I am preparing to stick a red hot poker up my bum, most people will guess I am bluffing, however earnest I might try to be. No Deal planning suffered from a similar lack of authenticity. The EU aren't complete idiots.
    That is hardly a valid analogy - especially if haven’t got a poker and you haven’t even warmed it up !
    OK. We say, we won't deal with you. The EU will say, come back when you are ready to talk. They have been there a hundred times already. Whatever you think of the EU they are good negotiators. They get plenty of practice dealing wether their own members.

It's not serious.
  • Options
    Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I am not aware that my hospital has made any plans for No Deal.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

I think the Cabinet will realize the DUP is going to pull the plug and May's deal can't get through the Commons and they'll tell Theresa May she's lost their confidence and they'll all resign en-mass unless she goes.

Never underestimate the Tories self-preservation instincts. Get rid of Theresa and hope something turns up. Or face a January election and probable annihilation at the hands of Corbyn?

Except you are talking rubbish as May beats both Corbyn and Boris and Mogg and Raab as who the British people still want to negotiate Brexit in Sky News' poll today.

As the poll also makes clear if not May's Deal it will be Remain

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    To misquote Churchill

May is the worst Tory Prime Minister on offer, apart from all the others.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Can’t run a Project Fear campaign based on a Corbyn Gov, as May has consistently done, if she hasn’t got a majority in the HoC and that means, yes, keeping the DUP onside. Tories are not going to get support from anyone else and they don’t have a majority, thanks to May.
  • Options

The ERG and the plotters have misjudged the mood today. Folks I've spoken to who otherwise take little or no interest in politics have stated their admiration of May and think she should be allowed to get 'the thing done'. They're very fuzzy on the facts of course but the mood seems to be that May is to be supported.

And yet I bet polls won't back that up, given remaining and no deal still command significant support.

In any case it is MPs she needs to persuade, and we are still waiting to find out if a few more Cabinet Members will quit, so in fact the opposite is occurring as people supposedly on board like Gove are wrestling with tossing it out.
  • Options

The ERG and the plotters have misjudged the mood today. Folks I've spoken to who otherwise take little or no interest in politics have stated their admiration of May and think she should be allowed to get 'the thing done'. They're very fuzzy on the facts of course but the mood seems to be that May is to be commended for her determination.

Have to agree, based on various conversations with people in different settings, who pay little attention to politics, in recent couple of weeks.

May has more support out in the hinterland than appears the case.
  • Options

Have to agree, based on various conversations with people in different settings, who pay little attention to politics, in recent couple of weeks.

We will see if her favourable ratings improve then
  • Options

- Delays at French ports

I don't understand why no deal is an option and any effort at all is taking place - after all we were reliably informed by the true pure believers that a deal would be incredibly easy and simple.... also BMW et al would be forcing the EU to come begging to meet our terms.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

To Stay in Power.
    If they believe a deal is essential for the country, that is more important than preserving a Tory government.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The ERG and the plotters have misjudged the mood today. Folks I've spoken to who otherwise take little or no interest in politics have stated their admiration of May and think she should be allowed to get 'the thing done'. They're very fuzzy on the facts of course but the mood seems to be that May is to be supported.

And yet I bet polls won't back that up, given remaining and no deal still command significant support.

In any case it is MPs she needs to persuade, and we are still waiting to find out if a few more Cabinet Members will quit, so in fact the opposite is occurring as people supposedly on board like Gove are wrestling with tossing it out.
    To the question is, is Gove a tosser?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

DavidL said:

Can confirm

Last time I went on holiday, to Dublin, unprompted and without knowledge of my position more people expressed admiration for the Leave vote...
    In Italy my experience was that there was some disappointment and apprehension that the Germans might be even more dominant without us but no hint of ridicule.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

You are living in a dream world of your own.

The ERG have made a huge miscalulation today and this thread amply demonstrates the growing contempt for them

And you forecast the daily mail circulation would collapse, since the new editor has arrived it is growing its circulation
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Mortimer said:

Plaid woman quite good, though she has a double barrelled name and sounds more Surrey than Wales (she was born in Eltham)
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Their position is incredibly, transparently, cynical but at least is open about prioritising getting Labour into power as the primary objective via a GE.

But they are nothing on the Tories. If the Tories don't want this Brexit, that's fine, they can have no Brexit and Corbyn as PM now for all I care. We shall have to hope he has a competent Cabinet and enough riotous backbenchers to rein him in, it cannot be worse than this current lot.
    You seem to think all Tories are brexiters.
  • Options

- Delays at French ports

A Plan would have been a good start.

Dave forbade it.

The Original Sin, since exacerbated by Theresa&Hammond&Co.
  • Options

Not based upon the GE2017 where she blew a 20% lead in the polls and lost her majority
  • Options

- Delays at French ports

People who actively want no deal are nuts or seriously ignorant.
  • Options
    Well, it has been quite a day, but bed awaits.

Pretty sure there will be no developments now until the morning.............
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

To misquote Churchill

May is the worst Tory Prime Minister on offer, apart from all the others.

Ken Clarke was saying much the same if rather more kindly earlier.... Perhaps it's time for a Clarke / Redwood reunion as caretaker leader / deputy....
  • Options

Not based upon the GE2017 where she blew a 20% lead in the polls and lost her majority
    May got 42% in GE17 still, the highest Tory voteshare since 1983 even if Labour did better than expected
  • Options

:D
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Plaid woman quite good, though she has a double barrelled name and sounds more Surrey than Wales
    Some of them cannot even speak Welsh
  • Options

We still don't know what Gove's up to remember? Anything could happen yet! :D
  • Options

- Delays at French ports

I mean that any car imported into the EU has to have EU Type Approval (i.e. tests where they crash them into barriers etc) before it can legally be driven on EU roads:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_type_approval
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

DavidL said:

Can confirm

In Italy my experience was that there was some disappointment and apprehension that the Germans might be even more dominant without us but no hint of ridicule.
    Last year I was at a conference in Copenhagen. Speaker after speaker gently teased British panel members over Brexit, always getting a good chortle from the audience.
  • Options
    The default reaction Gardiner is getting is laughter.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Do you think its possible plans are either prepared or under preparation above the level of your hospital?

Hint - As far as I can see that would be a yes.

As I say my industry faced up to the challenges and can trade through a no deal (or those parts I am familiar with anyway).

• Options
    DavidL said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I fear your last point is true. Its been dishonest as well as incompetent from the start. I can understand why people are angry with her. But we have arrived at that choice and we need to take it.
    Then the tories should never be let near the levers of power ever again

• Options

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Plaid woman quite good, though she has a double barrelled name and sounds more Surrey than Wales
    To be fair, that makes her pretty representative of Welsh people!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

May got 42% in GE17 still, the highest Tory voteshare since 1983 even if Labour did better than expected
    Irrelevant. She still blew her lead in the polls, still lost seats rather than gained them and still lost lost her majority.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

DavidL said:

Can confirm

Last year I was at a conference in Copenhagen. Speaker after speaker gently teased British panel members over Brexit, always getting a good chortle from the audience.
    Who cares?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

DavidL said:

Can confirm

Yeah, out of a false sense of superiority.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Yes but for Plaid !!!!
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

- Delays at French ports

I mean that any car imported into the EU has to have EU Type Approval (i.e. tests where they crash them into barriers etc) before it can legally be driven on EU roads:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_type_approval
    Obviously but what impact has no deal got on getting type approval for UK made cars. Millions of cars made outside the EU get type approval and are sold into EU every year. Why are we so special that we will not get type approval if we follow the correct EU procedures?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

We still don't know what Gove's up to remember? Anything could happen yet! :D
    Gove makes Hamlet look decisive!!
  • Options
    geoffw said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

You seem to think all Tories are brexiters.
    I know they are not. I voted Brexit myself, I'm not mad at the government or the Tories for trying to Brexit, quite the opposite in fact. But the Tories, because of their internal politics, are either advocating a no deal scenario I happen to think would be bad, or are preventing what may well be a crap deal on pie in the sky hopes of a nebulously better deal and thus risking no deal, and are still scheming about who gets to be PM next as if that bloody matters right now.

Now I am just following through on the logic of the most strident Brexiteers. They don't want a bad brexit, so they can have no brexit. Some of them will even admit to preferring that I am sure, given they say this deal is worse than what we had.

And given they have eradicated their pitch of competence, and it is laughable to suggest they could happily unite in government after all this, why should I be afraid of Corbyn, who I really really do not like? I don't even have to vote for him, so I can escape any blame for what his government may do, so it is win win.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Most of Wales can't speak Welsh
  • Options

- Delays at French ports

Some of that list is absolute rubbish.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

To the question is, is Gove a tosser?
    I think so, yes.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Irrelevant. She still blew her lead in the polls, still lost seats rather than gained them and still lost lost her majority.
    True but she still got enough seats to end up PM
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Ever since Cameron called the Scottish referendum in 2014 British politics has been on a crazy rollercoaster and there's no sign of it ending.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Do you think its possible plans are either prepared or under preparation above the level of your hospital?

Hint - As far as I can see that would be a yes.

As I say my industry faced up to the challenges and can trade through a no deal (or those parts I am familiar with anyway).

Nothing in any of the management meetings about it*, but I do have a meeting with the Chief Executive next week, so can ask him about it.

*And I see endless risk assessments on many other issues.
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Yes but for Plaid !!!!
    I’m part Welsh, support the rugby team etc. The welsh language isn’t sustainable, and the amount spent on it is a shame on the Welsh administration given the state of the NHS and education in Wales.

Moving away from Welsh will be a bonus for plaid.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    What an absolute nonsense from Barry Gardiner - We'll have a customs union, but not THE customs union, but definitely not Turkey and do our own free trade deals on top !

Unicorns on unicorns.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Ever since Cameron called the Scottish referendum in 2014 British politics has been on a crazy rollercoaster and there's no sign of it ending.

Interesting thing about rollercoasters - you end up back where you started.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

2014 - Scotland
    2015 - Election shock
    2016 - Referendum shock
    2017 - Election shock
    2018 - Brexit???
  • Options

Obviously but what impact has no deal got on getting type approval for UK made cars. Millions of cars made outside the EU get type approval and are sold into EU every year. Why are we so special that we will not get type approval if we follow the correct EU procedures?

None. It's just that the year or so while UK manufacturers submit their existing cars for re-approval in the EU might not be terribly conducive to not going bust in the meantime, and there's nothing the UK government can do to help if there's no deal.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Mark Serwotka With a PPB for Labour at every question. Also invoked the terrible argument to oppose the deal on a reverse appeal to authority argument.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

True but she still got enough seats to end up PM
    Tory MPs rallied around her and the DUP agreed to support her on key issues. Neither is still the case.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What an absolute nonsense from Barry Gardiner - We'll have a customs union, but not THE customs union, but definitely not Turkey and do our own free trade deals on top !

Unicorns on unicorns.

The whole Labour position is unsustainable. The sad reality is that if the ERG had accepted the deal we’d be ridiculing Labour at the moment...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Interesting thing about rollercoasters - you end up back where you started.
    I hadn't considered that.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

DavidL said:

Can confirm

Strange isnt it

Almost like they are just saying what they want to be true
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Not really. It is taught in Schools. All my grand children can speak Welsh, indeed my children have a passable knowedge of it.

Also most local authority jobs require it and my sons partner who has just joined the police service has to go to Welsh classes
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Err, he didn't call the Scottish referendum.
  • Options

- Delays at French ports

According to an audience member on Question Time it will be ok because we had the Atlantic convoys in the war.
    We had a mercantile marine that consisted of more than the Isle of Wight Ferries during the war!
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Yes but for Plaid !!!!
    If Plaid is to become less marginal, it has to appeal to both Welsh and non-Welsh speakers, and also to those born outside the Principality.
  • Options
    Meanwhile the news Stephen Lloyd will vote for May's deal means 8.33% of the Lib Dem HoC party will rebel against the whip. Meaning the party of Europe will be the second most split on May's deal when it comes to the vote. Hilarious.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Not really. It is taught in Schools. All my grand children can speak Welsh, indeed my children have a passable knowedge of it.

Also most local authority jobs require it and my sons partner who has just joined the police service has to go to Welsh classes
    Most of my family live in Wales, many in Llandudno and Rhyl. They all learned at school. All but one consider it a waste of energy. My mother and all my aunts and uncles learned Welsh in the 60s/70s and can’t rememeber hardlya word. Because it isn’t a live language.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

DavidL said:

Can confirm

Interesting given that Ireland has one of the largest approval ratings for membership in the entire EU! You must have been very lucky to meet just Irexiters.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Unicorns on unicorns.

The whole Labour position is unsustainable. The sad reality is that if the ERG had accepted the deal we’d be ridiculing Labour at the moment...
    But the ERG have never wanted a deal. It should not be a surprise.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Unicorns on unicorns.

The whole Labour position is unsustainable. The sad reality is that if the had accepted the deal we’d be ridiculing Labour at the moment...
    The ERG has not exactly shown steel, a lot of veiled threats, hot air and pin striped suits - whats the best they can manage - JRM making a plummy speech, they are nowhere near as influential as they would have us believe.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    I have to record my admiration for the Prime Minister's tenacity and her dutiful "indefagibility" to do the right thing for the nation. She is admirable in her dogged determination to deliver a sensible "Brexit". How she has the stamina to sustain this effort is quite amazing.
This discussion has been closed.