Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A massive Westminster day ends with TMay still in place

Comments

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

I get the impression that the serious politicians said as little as possible today.

Didn't hear a peep out of certain Cabinet ministers, Javid, Hammond etc.

Much like yesterday, they let the idiots rush to the 24 hour news channels, and sat it out. Wise.
    Hammond is one of the main reasons the Brexit deal is so toxic as he has refused funding for no deal preparation which means we have no negotiating leverage. Javid is a straw man who blows with the wind.
    Just 32% support No Deal with Sky News today, there is no point preparing for it as there is not enough support for it in the country.

If No Deal had 50% support that would be a different matter but it does not

https://news.sky.com/story/majority-of-brits-now-against-brexit-and-back-second-eu-referendum-sky-data-poll-11555078
    You miss the point. If you do t prepare for no deal, you have to take what you are given- which is what May has done.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671
    edited November 2018
    Scott_P said:
    I think The Times will modifiy its tone as it gradually realises the ERG are all fur coat and no knickers.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    HYUFD said:

UKIP back with a vengeance

That would be a good thing.

If all the headbangers crossed the floor instead of infesting the Conservative Party I might be able to vote for them again
  • Options
    Oh god, Newsnight have multitudes of talking heads, with a smattering of headbangers.

*opens more booze*
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Greens almost there in Germany.

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

Germany, Infratest dimap poll:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 26% (+1)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 23% (+4)
    AfD-EFDD: 14% (-2)
    SPD-S&D: 14%
    LINKE-LEFT: 9%
    FDP-ALDE: 8% (-3)

Field work: 12/11/18 – 14/11/18
    Sample size: 1,506"

AfD also level with SPD, even if Greens get closer to the CDU, CDU + AfD are now on 40%, 3% ahead of SPD + Greens on 37%.

The main movement is still SPD to Green, especially as the CDU are also up 1% in this poll
    What the CDU plus AfD are is irrelevant. The CDU will not work with them. Far more likely to work with Greens, as in Hesse. That is a clear majority.
    Under Merkel yes, if her successor is more conservative maybe less certain
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

Scott_P said:
    Very interesting. There could be an HoC majority for that... and it will strengthen the resolve of Conservative Remainers (and soft-Remainers) not to capitulate to May's deal.
    That makes no sense. Either you Brexit or you don't. May's deal isn't incompatible with a future relationship in the single market and customs union.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

I get the impression that the serious politicians said as little as possible today.

Much like yesterday, they let the idiots rush to the 24 hour news channels, and sat it out. Wise.
    Hammond is one of the main reasons the Brexit deal is so toxic as he has refused funding for no deal preparation which means we have no negotiating leverage. Javid is a straw man who blows with the wind.
    Just 32% support No Deal with Sky News today, there is no point preparing for it as there is not enough support for it in the country.

https://news.sky.com/story/majority-of-brits-now-against-brexit-and-back-second-eu-referendum-sky-data-poll-11555078
    You miss the point. If you do t prepare for no deal, you have to take what you are given- which is what May has done.
    You can't blame Hammond. If he'd said once he was installed as Chancellor, right, let's start paving over Kent, at the very least he'd have been denounced for propagating Project Fear. Remember, it was going to be the easiest deal ever.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Need a chess grandmaster....Don’t 90% of chess matches end up in a drawn out stalemate these days?
    I don’t think some of the commentariat (and, worryingly, a vast number of MPs) get it.

This.is.the.deal.

Brussels. Will. Not. Negotiate. A. New. One. Even if you ask nicely.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I think The Times will modifiy its tone as it gradually realises the ERG are all fur coat and no knickers.
    The Glorious 48.

Turned out to be around 30.

• Options
    Currant bun front page is a goodie.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

You can't blame Hammond. If he'd said once he was installed as Chancellor, right, let's start paving over Kent, at the very least he'd have been denounced for propagating Project Fear. Remember, it was going to be the easiest deal ever.
    There is a lot more to preparing for no deal than building lorry parks. As it happens, he hasn’t authorised expenditure for even that. He is a disgrace and a v poor Chancellor compared to say Howe and Lawson.
  • Options
    To ignore the noise and look to the signal two things strike me today behind the resignation fluff. Firstly it was Day 2 of a big political launch. The Deal. And no one was selling it. It's like the Golden Hour after a major accident. In politics you need to define things yourself before your opponents define it. May has comprehensively lost the first 48 hrs. Secondly more significant imho than the show boats resigning were the greater number of silent cabinet ministers. The government won't sell this without sales people. You can only hide under the desk for so long.
  • Options

Oh god, Newsnight have multitudes of talking heads, with a smattering of headbangers.

*opens more booze*

You must be one of only a handful of people who actually watch that show these days.
  • Options
    Nick Watt still saying the 48 are coming on Newsnight.

Difficult to believe Mogg would have put his letter in otherwise.

:lol:

Perhaps he has been duped???
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2018
    Theresa May and Ed Miliband have something in common it seems: they're both fans of Geoff Boycott.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Breaking: Graham Brady orders manual recount of his letter draw.
  • Options

Jane Merrick on Twitter claiming 1922 letters 'in the low 30s'.
  • Options

Currant bun front page is a goodie.

Link?
  • Options

1930s, presumably? :lol:
  • Options

1930s, presumably? :lol:
    http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot
  • Options
    A feelgood tale of a homeless man using his last $20 to help a stranded New Jersey woman buy gas was actually a complete lie, manufactured to get strangers to donate more than $400,000 to help the down-and-out good Samaritan, a prosecutor has said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/15/johnny-bobbitt-gofundme-scam-arrest-viral-gas-story-couple-charged
  • Options
    Bone looks to me like someone who knows there isn't going to be 48.
  • Options

A feelgood tale of a homeless man using his last $20 to help a stranded New Jersey woman buy gas was actually a complete lie, manufactured to get strangers to donate more than $400,000 to help the down-and-out good Samaritan, a prosecutor has said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/15/johnny-bobbitt-gofundme-scam-arrest-viral-gas-story-couple-charged

Entrepreneurial!
  • Options
    edited November 2018

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

There was no point preparing for it as there was no majority public support for it, that is the whole point.

The only sustainable Brexit is one with a Deal or single market and or customs union, No Deal just leads to Remain ie no Brexit at all
  • Options
    Usual caveats about Sky Data polls but they become the fourth pollster and fourth poll in a row to have Remain on 54%. It does look like there has been a small but discernable shift toward Remain. That's still not anywhere near enough to derail Brexit but the No Dealers are skating on very thin ice.
  • Options

He was all piss and wind earlier, he's much more downbeat now. Good.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Very interesting. There could be an HoC majority for that... and it will strengthen the resolve of Conservative Remainers (and soft-Remainers) not to capitulate to May's deal.
    Would personally be supportive of this (as I would also be of the original TM deal).

If this is the end result - and more moderate - the ERG rebels only have themselves to blame.

• Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

There was no point preparing for it as there was no majority public support for it, that is the whole point.

The only sustainable Brexit is one with a Deal or single market and or customs union, No Deal just leads to Remain ie no Brexit at all
    The only point in not preparing for it is if you were always going to take whatever you were given, no matter how bad. Denying yourself options is asinine and that is what May has done by failing to prepare for no deal.
  • Options

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

There is a lot more to preparing for no deal than building lorry parks. As it happens, he hasn’t authorised expenditure for even that. He is a disgrace and a v poor Chancellor compared to say Howe and Lawson.
    I used that as a synedoche for no deal preparations as a whole. I feel my point still stands.
  • Options
    Heseltine: No way this deal will pass Parliament.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650
    Alistair said:
    As a matter of interest, how does one do a recount from voting machines?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,625

48 was a long time ago for Bone; he looks more like 84.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    geoffw said:

FPT
    The monster of Berlaymont's hatred of Britain wins through.

Fraser:

But the risk, here was always that the EU would take Britain’s best offer then demand more. This is precisely what has just happened. Raab discovered at the last minute that the “backstop” clause for Northern Ireland was no longer a last resort, no longer a bridge to a proper free-trade deal. It was to become the basis on which the final Brexit deal would be built. This had been sneaked into the text at the last minute – with Raab only finding about it once the deal was agreed by No 10.

Perhaps the worst of it was the union. British negotiators picked up word that Martin Selmayr, the chief Brussels bureaucrat, had told his officials that the UK must pay a price for Brexit – and that the price is Northern Ireland. He wanted the Brexit transition deal to be written in such a way that, if the United Kingdom wanted to break free and strike a new arrangement, it would have no choice but to leave Northern Ireland behind.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/11/15/despite-revulsion-mrs-mays-deal-confident-opponents-wont-move

If that's true it puts me in the no deal column. Or we abrogate the treaty down the line. Good fucking faith indeed.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
  • Options

Usual caveats about Sky Data polls but they become the fourth pollster and fourth poll in a row to have Remain on 54%. It does look like there has been a small but discernable shift toward Remain. That's still not anywhere near enough to derail Brexit but the No Dealers are skating on very thin ice.

Heck I have never been a second referendum fan (I generally groaned whenever I saw a politician bring it up because it was so transparently obvious they were just using it as a mechanism for staying in, and although I voted remain I felt the public decision needed to be honoured) but even I’m coming round to it now, I’m just fed up of all the petty bickering and not-so-hidden-agendas of all the MPs and I’d rather throw it back to the people now.

There are very few politicians of the calibre of, say, Hague and Clarke, who have been very measured in their response to the deal. I have no doubt that they dislike elements of it, perhaps for different reasons, but they understand that this is the best it’s going to get and they’re willing to give it a shot. It is sad that there are so many pygmies on each side of the Commons who can’t produce a measured and statesmanlike response to this (even if they disagree with the deal) and instead just scream their agenda from the rooftops like spoilt brats.

I want them all out.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:
    From seeing a sample Florida ballot, I expect they have similar machines to us in NYS. You fill out ovals next to the candidates you prefer and then insert the ballot paper into the machine which scans the ovals to tabulate the vote. It then retains the paper.

So a manual count would be like a UK count, you get all the papers and manually count the filled in ovals. Doing just one race wouldn't be super difficult.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    Well quite. For all the claims of May bluffing about things or trying to hobble things, we cannot impose things on Brussels.
  • Options
    The polling on May's deal is early and sketchy *but* it looms remarkably similar to Chequers polling. When you offer voters a preferendum on Deal/No Deal/No Brexit voters say May's deal is by far the least popular choice. Worse still the Remain vote stays solid but the Leave vote splits between May's deal and No Deal.

On of the Iron Laws of antediluvian politics us if you want voters to pick something you frame it as the middle choice between two extremes. But it looms like Brexit is so polarising That's not true here.

May or successor gas a huge task ahead as it looks like any Brexit deal is going to **** off Remainers for being Brexit and most Leavers for not being a Unicorn.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

No deal was always a bluff. Prepare as much as you like but it was never going to happen. It was a bluff. We need to move on.
  • Options
    Why on earth would business leaders do that. There is nothing in May’s Brexit deal for them and Hammond has done nothing to attract inward investment or boost productivity as Chancellor.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I'm sure they would. There'd be the minimum of economic disruption for everyone, we'd make contributions to the budget but have no say. Sounds like a win-win from their POV! And more likely than not a few years down the road we'd accept it's stupid not to have a say, and rejoin the full Union.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:
    Machine read I think, not direct to machine
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    TOPPING said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

No deal was always a bluff. Prepare as much as you like but it was never going to happen. It was a bluff. We need to move on.
    It was always a bluff if you didn’t prepare for it and being found out trying to run a bluff, an unconvincing bluff at that, is fatal to negotiations as May has found out to. Britain’s cost
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Scott_P said:
    Absolutely they have. I would now say that there is a 30-40% chance of no Brexit at all, up from less than 10% last week. This is a direct result of complete pillocks looking a gift horse in the mouth, failing to recognise that the May deal, whilst far from perfect, delivered on the key elements of the Brexit vote and, most critically of all, got us out of the European swamp, if not completely onto dry land.

If the ERG have their way, and the EU can be persuaded we are still worth it, we might be stuck in the EU for another generation. They are so self defeating it is almost beyond belief. Morons.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The only point in not preparing for it is if you were always going to take whatever you were given, no matter how bad. Denying yourself options is asinine and that is what May has done by failing to prepare for no deal.
    Well that is the truth I am afraid, Leave only scraped a narrow 52% win in the EUref by promising voters it would be the easiest Deal in history.

Had voters thought there been a real prospect of No Deal Leave would never have won at all and hence the potential reversal of Brexit will grow stronger by the day if Parliament votes down May's deal
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325
    And also fails Starmer's third test, demonstrating what bullsh*t they always were. Starmer takes a huge chunk of responsibility if we crash out.
  • Options

Heck I have never been a second referendum fan (I generally groaned whenever I saw a politician bring it up because it was so transparently obvious they were just using it as a mechanism for staying in, and although I voted remain I felt the public decision needed to be honoured) but even I’m coming round to it now, I’m just fed up of all the petty bickering and not-so-hidden-agendas of all the MPs and I’d rather throw it back to the people now.
    I wish we didn't have to since I think the chance of it resolving things is not that great either, but MPs on all sides still seem consumed with whether they get to succeed May as PM, whether Labour can get into power, whether they can keep Corbyn out of power, etc etc, and have that as their primary focus, or are just still not being honest about the risks they would take on certain options, which may well be worth it if only they admitted that risk.

Throwing it back to the people somehow is a defeat of the purpose of parliament, but they are incapable of delivering.
  • Options

Why on earth would business leaders do that. There is nothing in May’s Brexit deal for them and Hammond has done nothing to attract inward investment or boost productivity as Chancellor.
    Big business has been praising the deal all day.
  • Options

Eh? It gives them the certainty that their supply chains and trading relationships won't blow up in just over four months' time.
  • Options

Businesses have come out strongly tonight in favour
  • Options
    Theo said:

Who
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    Absolutely they have. I would now say that there is a 30-40% chance of no Brexit at all, up from less than 10% last week. This is a direct result of complete pillocks looking a gift horse in the mouth, failing to recognise that the May deal, whilst far from perfect, delivered on the key elements of the Brexit vote and, most critically of all, got us out of the European swamp, if not completely onto dry land.

If the ERG have their way, and the EU can be persuaded we are still worth it, we might be stuck in the EU for another generation. They are so self defeating it is almost beyond belief. Morons.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

If there is a Remain vote by next March we will never leave at all, just Remain on current terms with Article 50 cancelled
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Well that is the truth I am afraid, Leave only scraped a narrow 52% win in the EUref by promising voters it would be the easiest Deal in history.

Had voters thought there been a real prospect of No Deal Leave would never have won at all and hence the potential reversal of Brexit will grow stronger by the day if Parliament votes down May's deal
    Voters didn't know the Labour Party would put together six tests that are mutually exclusive.
  • Options

Which ones specifically? (Genuine question, I've not seen any in coverage)
  • Options

Because the alternative is no deal, with no preparation because our government is incompetent. But we are where we are as a pretty straight kind of guy once said.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

It wasn't even that. The ill effects of a no deal exit were "Project Fear", remember?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

If there is a Remain vote by next March we will never leave at all, just Remain on current terms with Article 50 cancelled
    And unlimited immigration, including from all those Middle Eastern migrants to Germany.
  • Options

'Thin ice'? Just 32% back No Deal in that poll, once you take out those who back May's Deal
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    edited November 2018
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Staying permanently in the customs union and having to beg the EU to give us permission to leave it if we wish is NOT Brexit and actually leaves us with less control than we have now as full members.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    welshowl said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Agreed.
    Yes, they are complete w@nkers.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Because the alternative is no deal, with no preparation because our government is incompetent. But we are where we are as a pretty straight kind of guy once said.
    At the moment, my "big" business is facing either no deal, or transition plus a commitment to retain the current arrangement as part of the future partnership. It would take the Deal in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

It’s not about no deal and never has been. It’s always been about preparing for no dealto give yourself negotiating leverage and options. BTW, under FPTP no deal is as valid as another Leave scenario - oform of Leave was on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    Theo said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

And unlimited immigration, including from all those Middle Eastern migrants to Germany.
    Only if they have German citizenship, which most don't and will take a long time to acquire.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, Brexiteers delivering Remain would be the sweetest irony ever.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Theo said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Only if they have German citizenship, which most don't and will take a long time to acquire.
    5-10 years. Which is the timeframe we would be in the EU for.
  • Options

Theo said:

Who
    The conservatives potential sudden death as the party of business (despite Corbyn!) will have huge and long-term lasting electoral (and funding) consequences if this plays out towards a no deal scenario. Not rocket science and I hear similar sentiments every day.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

The polling on May's deal is early and sketchy *but* it looms remarkably similar to Chequers polling. When you offer voters a preferendum on Deal/No Deal/No Brexit voters say May's deal is by far the least popular choice. Worse still the Remain vote stays solid but the Leave vote splits between May's deal and No Deal.

On of the Iron Laws of antediluvian politics us if you want voters to pick something you frame it as the middle choice between two extremes. But it looms like Brexit is so polarising That's not true here.

May or successor gas a huge task ahead as it looks like any Brexit deal is going to **** off Remainers for being Brexit and most Leavers for not being a Unicorn.

Were it to pass I don't doubt the Tories would take a big hit as no one seems to like it much for the reasons you give. All people know is it is a compromise no one likes, and remainiacs are promising strength and stability will return with them and newdealers are peddling a fantasy about easy renegotiation. But frankly they look certain split or close as split anyway, so it makes no difference as to if they should try for it or not.
    Scott_P said:
    What.is.the.point.of.changing.the.deal.if.the.EU.won't.accept.it? If it was something that could be tweaked to avoid catastrophic reaction you can be damn sure it wouldn't be in there now.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

TOPPING said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

It was always a bluff if you didn’t prepare for it and being found out trying to run a bluff, an unconvincing bluff at that, is fatal to negotiations as May has found out to. Britain’s cost
    Nah. No sane government could ever contemplate no deal. As we have seen. In Jacob Rees-Mogg fantasy land (and perhaps yours) maybe. But not in the real world.
  • Options

welshowl said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Agreed.
    So ERG have now lost the support of the Mail and the Express??
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Actually, I think a large-ish chunk of the leave vote was actually for No Deal in a way, because the consequences of leaving weren’t spelt out to them. So sure was Dave of his referendum victory that he never really explained what would happen if leave won. Yes there was project fear, but there was nothing along the lines of “we’d have to negotiate a new relationship with the EU to try and safeguard our economy and jobs and if we couldn’t get that, yes, there’s a risk we’d crash out with no deal”. It was all very vague. And from the other side all we got was “Take Back Control. Free Movement. Blue Passports. Trade Deals. NHS Cash.”
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    edited November 2018
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

May and Robbins have delivered Remain (but dressed it up as some one leg in/one leg out nonsense) by tying us up in the CU forever.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,157
    pbr2013 said:

geoffw said:

FPT
    The monster of Berlaymont's hatred of Britain wins through.

Fraser:

But the risk, here was always that the EU would take Britain’s best offer then demand more. This is precisely what has just happened. Raab discovered at the last minute that the “backstop” clause for Northern Ireland was no longer a last resort, no longer a bridge to a proper free-trade deal. It was to become the basis on which the final Brexit deal would be built. This had been sneaked into the text at the last minute – with Raab only finding about it once the deal was agreed by No 10.

Perhaps the worst of it was the union. British negotiators picked up word that Martin Selmayr, the chief Brussels bureaucrat, had told his officials that the UK must pay a price for Brexit – and that the price is Northern Ireland. He wanted the Brexit transition deal to be written in such a way that, if the United Kingdom wanted to break free and strike a new arrangement, it would have no choice but to leave Northern Ireland behind.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/11/15/despite-revulsion-mrs-mays-deal-confident-opponents-wont-move

If that's true it puts me in the no deal column. Or we abrogate the treaty down the line. Good fucking faith indeed.
    I'm in the no deal column anyway, but now even more firmly entrenched.
  • Options

Which ones specifically? (Genuine question, I've not seen any in coverage)
    The frustrating thing is I watched a video on twitter today with several businesses actively supporting it.

However, i have read and seen so much today I honestly cannot reference it

It was real though

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Staying permanently in the customs union and having to beg the EU to leave it if we wish is NOT Brexit and actually leaves us with less control than we have now as full members.
    The agreement does not require us to stay permanently in the CU. It does keep us in for a transitional period which is necessary because we have not carried out any preparations for an alternative. It gets us out of the EU so we no longer have to bother with MEPs or EU conferences, it gives us back control of our borders, it means we make our own laws except in so far as these affect the SM, it largely stops the payments. We are out of the CAP and will be out of the CFP within 2 years. Its a bloody good first step.

Instead we face a real risk of being stuck as supplicants back in the EU without some of our opt outs, probably without our rebate and absolutely no influence in any event as we will be a complete laughing stock.
  • Options
    Theo said:

welshowl said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Agreed.
    Just occurs to me that possibly the reason the Express supports May's deal is that it's now owned by whatever-it-was-Trinity MIrror-renamed-themselves-to.
  • Options
    Theo said:

rpjs said:

Theo said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

5-10 years. Which is the timeframe we would be in the EU for.
    Acquiring German citizenship requires a successful asylum claim first (and many will be rejected) and need to be fluent in German. Anyone who has managed that is likely to want to stay in the successful, high wage, high employment German economy.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Almost amusingly the pig headedness of certain leavers may lead to remain, while the pig headedness of some remainers risks no deal (though I put that at less a chance than remain). Bunch of hypocrites the both sets of them. claiming to be willing to do much to avoid certain outcomes or that certain states (eg being in the EU/no deal) are so bad and yet happy to see them happen on the chance of getting their perfect solution.
  • Options
    Well duh. A deal is more important than a Tory government.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

May and Robbins have delivered Remain (but dressed it up as some one leg in/one leg out nonsense) but tying us up in the CU forever.
    The Customs Union only affects goods. 20% of the economy. 80% would be outside. Criminal justice is outside. Immigration is outside. CFP amd CAP is outside. If you think that is Remain you are an idiot.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Staying permanently in the customs union and having to beg the EU to leave it if we wish is NOT Brexit and actually leaves us with less control than we have now as full members.
    The agreement does not require us to stay permanently in the CU. It does keep us in for a transitional period which is necessary because we have not carried out any preparations for an alternative. It gets us out of the EU so we no longer have to bother with MEPs or EU conferences, it gives us back control of our borders, it means we make our own laws except in so far as these affect the SM, it largely stops the payments. We are out of the CAP and will be out of the CFP within 2 years. Its a bloody good first step.

Instead we face a real risk of being stuck as supplicants back in the EU without some of our opt outs, probably without our rebate and absolutely no influence in any event as we will be a complete laughing stock.
    Believe me, living outside the UK it's quite clear that the UK is already an international laughing stock.
  • Options
    Minority government then and they lose 1 billion
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Nah. No sane government could ever contemplate no deal. As we have seen. In Jacob Rees-Mogg fantasy land (and perhaps yours) maybe. But not in the real world.
    Big difference between preparing for no deal just in case it happens and preparing for no deal because you actually want it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

There have been times today when I honestly thought that many of them deserved nothing less.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Theo said:

welshowl said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Agreed.
    Just occurs to me that possibly the reason the Express supports May's deal is that it's now owned by whatever-it-was-Trinity MIrror-renamed-themselves-to.
    Not sure if that has gone through
  • Options

No - General Election. You think a minority government could last when they have has many serial rebels as they do ? (bear in mind in this scenario a deal is passed, meaning dozens of angry Brexiteers keen to retaliate).
  • Options
  • Options
    Theo said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

We can remove them after 3 months and net immigration from the EU has fallen since the Leave vote
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Fools.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

TOPPING said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

If I say I am preparing to stick a red hot poker up my bum, most people will guess I am bluffing, however earnest I might try to be. No Deal planning suffered from a similar lack of authenticity. The EU aren't complete idiots.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

Theo said:

Who
    The conservatives potential sudden death as the party of business (despite Corbyn!) will have huge and long-term lasting electoral (and funding) consequences if this plays out towards a no deal scenario. Not rocket science and I hear similar sentiments every day.
    No Deal is, and always has been, the preferred end state of the ERG.
    Why it has taken mainstream Conservatives so long to see this is the real mystery.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

No - General Election. You think a minority government could last when they have has many serial rebels as they do ? (bear in mind in this scenario a deal is passed, meaning dozens of angry Brexiteers keen to retaliate).
    May should tell them to vote with their consciences. I don't think we will be seeing a VOTC on the floor of the house quite yet
  • Options

I don't think the Billion pounds has been delivered, as it requires Stormont to have a government.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2018
    Second night in a row where there seems to be more consensus on PB than there is in the Tory party...

I've never seen the like! :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.