Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Nation once again? – Part 3 lessons from abroad

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

I don’t

Fishing said:

On topic, I wonder if a better analogy for Ireland after reunification isn't Israel+the Palestinian Territories? No comparison will ever be perfect, of course, but you have religious fanaticism, an economic basket case vs a prosperous modern economy and intractable border issues caused by settlers moving into territory which one side has claimed has always been theirs. In Germany, you only had one of those three.

Most evidence from the modern world shows that ethnic and religious conflicts inspire many people to fanaticism, and are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to resolve. On the bright side, if a Greater Ireland in a single state can work, maybe a one-state solution can work for Israel too?

Although, again, it's very difficult to read across from one conflict to the other.

I don’t think either side in Ireland supports genocide
    Yeah it is pretty hard to compare either side in Ireland (in recent times) to Israeli brutality. The modern day Irish conflict on either side really doesn't compare to Palestinian suffering. Which probably indicates there is a long way to go.
    Good that Eire was willing to amend its constitution. Unlike hamas
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

rkrkrk said:

Brexit 95% done says TM. Sounds like we're ahead of schedule!

Hmm, I'm reminded of the old joke that the first 90% takes 50% of the time and the other 50% of the time is taken by the last 90%.
    Or the 100ft fall off a cliff. It's only the last foot that kills you.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr B2,

"Sometimes one is forced to wonder about the potential for a maximum voting age. Living in the past isn't healthy for a democracy."

As the brain doesn't mature until the mid-twenties, this can work both ways. Restrict voting to the over-25s and ban those with diagnosed dementia.

There goes the Corbyn vote.
  • Options

Charles said:

I don’t

Fishing said:

On topic, I wonder if a better analogy for Ireland after reunification isn't Israel+the Palestinian Territories? No comparison will ever be perfect, of course, but you have religious fanaticism, an economic basket case vs a prosperous modern economy and intractable border issues caused by settlers moving into territory which one side has claimed has always been theirs. In Germany, you only had one of those three.

Most evidence from the modern world shows that ethnic and religious conflicts inspire many people to fanaticism, and are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to resolve. On the bright side, if a Greater Ireland in a single state can work, maybe a one-state solution can work for Israel too?

Although, again, it's very difficult to read across from one conflict to the other.

Yeah it is pretty hard to compare either side in Ireland (in recent times) to Israeli brutality. The modern day Irish conflict on either side really doesn't compare to Palestinian suffering. Which probably indicates there is a long way to go.
    Good point. Neither side in Ireland needs constant reminders that any aggression will be met by equal (perhaps unequal) and opposite aggression.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

rkrkrk said:

Err...there seems to have been no progress on the political declaration. So why is May saying we are close to a deal?

I note that both sides have said publicly that this is nearly done. That's a strange thing to say if you're nowhere, since you'll look a bit daft in less than 6 months time.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

It’s what happened in the Referendum isn’t it? “Life was better ‘once upon a time”, is a common position as Dr Ydoethur points out.

In 10 years time there’ll be a great yearning for lots of things we had, or could do, when we were part of the EU and that’ll be the moment for us Remainers.

Edit; don’t know why the block quote didn’t work. The comment about Romania came from IanB2.

Unfortunately there is hysteresis to contend with. If Brexit leads to a large exodus of automotive manufacturing then rejoining the EU won't bring it all back again. The damage will have been done.

This is why Remainers should have been 100% focused on retaining Single Market and Customs Union membership, rather than trying to reverse the vote.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I don’t

Fishing said:

Good that we didn't try to destroy them for our own gain. Unlike Israel.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

rkrkrk said:

Err...there seems to have been no progress on the political declaration. So why is May saying we are close to a deal?

Since the EU have given up all hope of rational conversation with May on trade, they have focussed just on getting the WA signed, which gives the EU all the things it wants but gives the UK next to nothing.

So, instead of refocussing on the political declaration, May just goes along with what the EU want, ready to declare a ‘deal’ when the most important part has not been agreed.

She really is an idiot.
    Provided the backstop for NI is agreed the EU will negotiate a FTA for GB, with no backstop there will be no FTA at all. May will likely try and agree the backstop but only with a condition as to when it can end e.g. some promise if a technical solution is found to the Irish border
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I don’t

Fishing said:

Good point. Neither side in Ireland needs constant reminders that any aggression will be met by equal (perhaps unequal) and opposite aggression.
    Yes thankfully lessons were learned that just pounding people into the ground doesn't turn them peaceful. Although I'm not sure learning the lesson is a problem, just a good excuse.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    IanB2 said:

An interesting lead and some very pertinent observations from YS downthread. Given its size and all the issues, a significant change in governance within the republic is inevitable were unification likely to be on the table.

Heart versus head issues are always immensely dangerous, as we shouldn't need telling by now.

Indeed. Interesting that Alan argues on the 'mind' side of this one but the 'heart' side of Brexit.

Good articles though - thanks.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I don’t

Fishing said:

Yes thankfully lessons were learned that just pounding people into the ground doesn't turn them peaceful. Although I'm not sure learning the lesson is a problem, just a good excuse.
    Doesn't really matter - they are pounded into the ground.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

Hmm, I'm reminded of the old joke that the first 90% takes 50% of the time and the other 50% of the time is taken by the last 90%.
    More seriously, it's a good general rule that when everyone is trying to sound upbeat you should worry and when everyone is frowning and sucking their teeth you can be more confident a deal will be done. So we should be worrying.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Thank you Alanbrooke for three interesting and informative pieces.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

I don’t

Fishing said:

Good that we didn’t work with our friends to “push them into the sea” in living memory. Unlike Palestine
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

rkrkrk said:

Ooops you have done 180% negotiations, really tough.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I don’t

Fishing said:

Doesn't really matter - they are pounded into the ground.
    Hey you support whatever you like, don't let me judge you...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. G, the wording of the negotiations are 270% complete. All they need to do now is work on the numbers.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

rkrkrk said:

Very true, except that having managed lots of projects, I don't think it's a joke at all!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

More seriously, it's a good general rule that when everyone is trying to sound upbeat you should worry and when everyone is frowning and sucking their teeth you can be more confident a deal will be done. So we should be worrying.
    She. Cannot. Be. That. Stupid.

Surely!!!????

Having come up with Chequers after extensive/no/vague/zero consultations with the EU surely she would not now pre-announce something which has not been agreed??!!
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I don’t

Fishing said:

Good that we didn’t work with our friends to “push them into the sea” in living memory. Unlike Palestine
    Any people would defend their land if attacked, using that logic the British would deserve it just as much as we would resist millions of Muslims moving here and taking our land and kicking us out of our homes.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    edited October 2018

IanB2 said:

An interesting lead and some very pertinent observations from YS downthread. Given its size and all the issues, a significant change in governance within the republic is inevitable were unification likely to be on the table.

Heart versus head issues are always immensely dangerous, as we shouldn't need telling by now.

Indeed. Interesting that Alan argues on the 'mind' side of this one but the 'heart' side of Brexit.

Good articles though - thanks.
    my Brexit argument is both heart and mind. Ive always thought there will be a short term economic hit with Brexit but that we will pull it back over time. My bigger concern is that we are getting to a point where our politics is getting too far removed from the people it is meant to represent. A jolt to the system was needed to correct it.
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    rcs1000 said:

The true tragedy of Brexit is that we are creating ever more divisions in our society. Searching for an analogy, I can't help but think of Hartley Shawcross's terrible "we are the masters now" line.

You were previously very dismissive when I pointed out that there are just as many Brits of the Erasmus generation who feel a European identity as from the countries that you said were a "better fit" for the EU. You reap what you sow.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    I had a think, perhaps a solution for Northern Ireland is for May to say...

"Any new rules or regulations insisted in the Irish sea will also have to apply to the Northern Ireland, southern Ireland border. Likewise any new rules or regulations insisted on the Irish border will apply in the Irish sea."

I suppose the argument against this is exceptionalism, but I don't think there is a border quite like N Ireland anywhere else in the world.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,877
    edited October 2018
    Have enjoyed Alan's trilogy of thread headers.

Thanks very much. :)
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Yes but he was the bloody fool who told us David Cameron was a genius! :)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

Surely!!!????

Having come up with Chequers after extensive/no/vague/zero consultations with the EU surely she would not now pre-announce something which has not been agreed??!!
    The last 5% is called the Irish Border and it is an impossible conundrum. So she will not reach the 100.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,877
    I can't see how anyone (even eminent professors) can say with certainty what's going to happen over the next few weeks...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"Any new rules or regulations insisted in the Irish sea will also have to apply to the Northern Ireland, southern Ireland border. Likewise any new rules or regulations insisted on the Irish border will apply in the Irish sea."

I suppose the argument against this is exceptionalism, but I don't think there is a border quite like N Ireland anywhere else in the world.

Another solution is an all United Kingdom and Ireland customs union. None of Ireland's rights under it's existing EU membership would be infringed upon. Though I guess the est of the EU27 might not be happy to give Ireland such an advantage !
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, quite.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827
    I still cannot shake the feeling that we have only seen the Brexit Irish border issue through some kind of looking glass. That the Irish line came about with some degree of tacit blessing from London. That the UK saw the Irish border commitments as a way to achieve a cakeist solution, with a high level of trade access and alignment necessitated by the land border, without having to commit to formal CU or SM - with Chequers the culmination of that strategy.

In other words, that the border problem is not something that was simply done to us by others, but something we willingly played along with. Put it this way: the word 'de-dramatise' has seldom dropped from the lips of a UK politician.

When the time comes. I will be looking with interest at this generation's political memoirs.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    As a matter of basic maths, that's got to be right. In practice, the last week when one would be called by anyone's plan is the first week in December. Count back seven weeks from then (it took seven weeks from Theresa May calling a snap election to election date) and you're already out of time.
  • Options
    Have there been any opinion polls on how the people of England would vote in an English Independence (from the UK) referendum?
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

Surely!!!????

The last 5% is called the Irish Border and it is an impossible conundrum. So she will not reach the 100.
    To re-up a previous metaphor - a fire escape that takes you 95% out of a building isn’t going to save your life.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Another solution is an all United Kingdom and Ireland customs union. None of Ireland's rights under it's existing EU membership would be infringed upon. Though I guess the est of the EU27 might not be happy to give Ireland such an advantage !
    Perhaps a rule that goods can not be sent through Ireland from other EU member states for the main purpose of ending up in the UK in order to avoid customs duty.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited October 2018

As a matter of basic maths, that's got to be right. In practice, the last week when one would be called by anyone's plan is the first week in December. Count back seven weeks from then (it took seven weeks from Theresa May calling a snap election to election date) and you're already out of time.
    The 1918 general election was held on 14 December so its possible for it to be held nearer to Christmas and they announced the results on 28 December.

However in reality the chance of any general election being held this year now is close to zero. Who knows the Tories may depose May in that time - but they won't hold an election during the Xmas party season.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Pulpstar said:
    I hate what the political community has done to the word "robust"
  • Options

Have there been any opinion polls on how the people of England would vote in an English Independence (from the UK) referendum?

That would be very hard on Wales, where there is every indication of strong support for remaining in the union, as well as having an economy that might struggle outwith.
    I'd prefer English and Welsh independence rather than just English.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

how does that work? there can be no common external tariff
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Perhaps a rule that goods can not be sent through Ireland from other EU member states for the main purpose of ending up in the UK in order to avoid customs duty.
    If we get Hard Brexit, I think this is a quite plausible end state as it becomes clear that Ireland refuse to implement a hard border and jeapordise the EUCUs own adherance to WTO MFN non discrimination. It's yet another Looking Glass element to the whole thing.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    CD13 said:

Mr B2,

"Sometimes one is forced to wonder about the potential for a maximum voting age. Living in the past isn't healthy for a democracy."

As the brain doesn't mature until the mid-twenties, this can work both ways. Restrict voting to the over-25s and ban those with diagnosed dementia.

There goes the Corbyn vote.

On the other hand there is the benefit on the basis of experiencing a full life from school to college, to work, to paying rent and a mortgage, to paying taxes for decades, to bringing up a family etc. Perhaps life experience is as useful as an informing tool on voting as sixth form college and uni?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Thanks for the interesting articles @Alanbrooke

I wonder if Leo is trying to get rid of the "West Brit" moniker his party has been called for decades. If so, all he has to do is try and get rid of the "Green Tory" tag.

Maybe he and his foreign minister are looking at Brexit through the prism of the people he is answerable to- the voters in the 26 counties.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

If as they claim they want to stop terrorism and the conflict on the border - the argument Veradkhar used last week - then why wouldn't they consider this? Or are they just using that supposed threat for political convenience.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

Surely!!!????

To re-up a previous metaphor - a fire escape that takes you 95% out of a building isn’t going to save your life.
    It could on the basis that you'd be a bit scorched and both legs broken from jumping the last 30 feet.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

If as they claim they want to stop terrorism and the conflict on the border - the argument Veradkhar used last week - then why wouldn't they consider this? Or are they just using that supposed threat for political convenience.
    Is that an alternative form of Varadkar, or have you just misspelt it?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

Roger said:

Can I thank Alanbrooke for an excellent series of articles which are a kind of first on PB. We have never done a 3 parter before.

When I first read them I felt it important that they run sequentially dominating the site for a day or more. Good stuff.

thanks Mike. I would encourage other posters to give it a go and give a bit of a break to the PB editorial team whose unfailing efforts need more recognition.

Indeed. 3 excellent articles and I'm sure to many of us a little known subject.

For your next one how about 'Ludlow. Can it really sustain 4 Conservative clubs?'
    Im rinsing my hair blue as we speak :-)
    I'd always pictured it blue. This place is full of Northern Irish. A dissapointingly sober lot. Not a 'Paddy's Bar' in sight.
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    It sounds like decoupling Northern Ireland from a 217 year old union with GB is going to be easier than decoupling the UK from a mere 45 year old union with the EU. Ditto Scotland.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711

Even if it's after Xmas no one is going to want a GE campaign over the holidays.

So that basically rules out Jan as well, right?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

That would be very hard on Wales, where there is every indication of strong support for remaining in the union, as well as having an economy that might struggle outwith.
    I'm never sure when I refer to England whether I mean the England part of "England & Wales" or England as in the "Kingdom of England" which included Wales in its latter centuries.
  • Options
    Interesting set of articles, thanks @Alanbrooke.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'm never sure when I refer to England whether I mean the England part of "England & Wales" or England as in the "Kingdom of England" which included Wales in its latter centuries.
    In this hotchpotch of kingdoms, countries, regions & unions no one is, that's the problem.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

brendan16 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Its the Gaelic spelling!

• Options
    I note 5% is also the gap from 46 to 48 letters.

Probably we'll see neither final 5% materialise this year.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    brendan16 said:

The 1918 general election was held on 14 December so its possible for it to be held nearer to Christmas and they announced the results on 28 December.

However in reality the chance of any general election being held this year now is close to zero. Who knows the Tories may depose May in that time - but they won't hold an election during the Xmas party season.
    McDonnell's first pre-Christmas Budget would be like Scrooge, cubed.....
  • Options
    Ta for the insights, Mr. Alanbrooke.

• Options
    East German Wall was actually built by the Communists to keep THEIR OWN people IN, not to keep others OUT! (although it was presented that way!).
  • Options
    Live from the killing zone:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbvX3elSaaY
  • Options

brendan16 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

"The Brits partitioned MY country too, you know!" :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Day 4 of 2.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

brendan16 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

You’re an Indian/Pakistani citizen?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Fascinating articles. It will be an interesting period of history if greater Ireland unites. The Scots would surely follow. I cannot see the Welsh though.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    I think "TREXIT" now followed by NO DEAL is a huge risk to the Tory party. The majority of the public want a deal and will blame the Tory MPs for "preventing" this - by ousting May. May will argue that she would have got a "good deal" if she had not been toppled and the public may well believe her.

The only logical reason and timing for toppling her, in my view, is if and when she gets a deal that she cannot get through parliament. But to topple her at this stage could result in the worst of all worlds for the Tories.
  • Options
    One thing about (the island of) Ireland; it has not ever been a single, unified independent country in all of it's history I think.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Just caught up on these excellent articles - many thanks to @Alanbrooke for writing them.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

brendan16 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Is your Tebbit chip malfunctioning again? Guards!
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Agree with the praise for @Alanbrooke - thank you sir and the most united this site has been in a while. The whole Brexit process, especially with the DUP in de facto Government, has pushed Northern Ireland into our consciousness like never before.

I had to visit Belfast several times in my previous job. I could never work out whether I felt in my home country or abroad. And wondered why it seemed so ignored by the mainland, in a way that Scotland never was.

Quiz question: what's the largest body of inland water in the UK?

Answer - after guessing most of the Cumbrian Lakes, Loch Lomond, Loch Ness etc. It's Lough Neagh in the centre of Northern Ireland. Anyone heard of it?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Pulpstar said:

One thing about (the island of) Ireland; it has not ever been a single, unified independent country in all of it's history I think.

That's correct. However, it would make colouring in the map easier, so it's got that going for it.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Pulpstar said:

I think the glue between England an Wales is stronger than say Northern Ireland or Scotland, because there is

a) No sea between England and Wales (No, the Bristol Channel doesn't count)
    a ii) No natural other country (Republic of Ireland) for Wales to fold into.

b i) The main pop centres of Wales are very close geographically to England, probably far more regular Bristol/Cardiff traffic than say Carlisle/Dumfries.
    b ii) A decent amount of physical seperation between Edinburgh/Glasgow and any major population centre in England, unlike Wales.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    houndtang said:

It sounds like decoupling Northern Ireland from a 217 year old union with GB is going to be easier than decoupling the UK from a mere 45 year old union with the EU. Ditto Scotland.

Ha. NI ain't going nowhere. The only people in GB suggesting decoupling (apart from a few Irish people who live here) are Brexiters who can't face up to the fact that the end to Ulster-based terrorism was predicated on our membership of the EU. To get ourselves out of this mess we need a remodelled Good Friday Agreement that takes account of the new Brexit reality, and we need a continuing relationship with Ireland that allows that to work successfully.

Brexit is barely worth doing anyway, but it's not worth doing at all if we go back to the bad old days.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think the glue between England an Wales is stronger than say Northern Ireland or Scotland, because there is

b i) The main pop centres of Wales are very close geographically to England, probably far more regular Bristol/Cardiff traffic than say Carlisle/Dumfries.
    b ii) A decent amount of physical seperation between Edinburgh/Glasgow and any major population centre in England, unlike Wales.
    Unlike Scotland Wales never had separate legal or (afaik) education systems. The Welsh language seems to be the great differentiator & appears to be in a healthy enough state, though it's use isn't spread evenly throughout Wales.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    And why exactly would May want to stay as Party Leader? Leading a Party that was presumably ripping up her approach to the EU.....

Much easier to just have a coronation of DD for a couple of years to save everyone the bother.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    No Conservative leader is going to be humiliated by having a different Prime Minister when the Conservatives are in power.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283

Scott_P said:
    No Conservative leader is going to be humiliated by having a different Prime Minister when the Conservatives are in power.
    :lol: This is beyond madness now.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    tpfkar said:

Agree with the praise for @Alanbrooke - thank you sir and the most united this site has been in a while. The whole Brexit process, especially with the DUP in de facto Government, has pushed Northern Ireland into our consciousness like never before.

I had to visit Belfast several times in my previous job. I could never work out whether I felt in my home country or abroad. And wondered why it seemed so ignored by the mainland, in a way that Scotland never was.

Quiz question: what's the largest body of inland water in the UK?

Answer - after guessing most of the Cumbrian Lakes, Loch Lomond, Loch Ness etc. It's Lough Neagh in the centre of Northern Ireland. Anyone heard of it?

Yes.

It certainly was lively.

Then again, it didn't have these guys as permanent residents, which honour goes to (Upper) Lough Erne.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    OchEye said:

If you want another comparison, the component parts of Poland still seem to vote along geographical lines set by its partition in the 18th century. Though, to be more optimistic, the key word in that sentence might be geographical. Italy remains an exceptionally diverse country because its geography practically dictates that: the Appennines carve the country up, as does its length. Sure, choices have cemented existing divisions but those choices don’t have to be made. Northern Ireland is not particularly geographically distinct from the rest of the island. Get Belfast right and the rest should follow.

I have disagreed with very little in @Alanbrooke’s excellent series but I fear his own antipathy to the current Irish government stance on Brexit has led him astray: hardcore Leavers are far more upset with it than ordinary unionists. Indeed, such polling as there has been suggests that messing up Brexit is worse for the union.

My reaction to Varadkar is not based on Brexit, but rather an innate concern as to why anyone would want to stir up the whole Northern Ireland swamp when it was starting to settle down.

While Brexit is no way the fault of the irish government, to me the correct approach was to set a working party to one side from both governments and sort the border issue away from the headlines, Varadkar has made an issue of something he would have been best advised to leave alone.
    Like how the British, Spanish & Gibraltarians have sorted out that other "show stopper" Gibraltar?

http://chronicle.gi/2018/10/on-the-cusp-of-a-deal/
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know how does Brexit affect the UK sovereign bases on Cyprus?
    They already aren't in the EU proper by dint of some legal smoke and mirrors. I doubt they will survive in the medium term anyway as they are blisteringly expensive. Almost of all the SIGINT/ELINT capability has been moved to NAS Sigonella in Italy in what looks suspiciously like preparations for a "rationalisation" of UK forces in the Med.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Scott_P said:
    And why exactly would May want to stay as Party Leader? Leading a Party that was presumably ripping up her approach to the EU.....

Much easier to just have a coronation of DD for a couple of years to save everyone the bother.
    I think what that tells us is that May is contesting any attempt to get rid of her. I think the Tories would be mad to do so anyway - if the people I speak to are anything to go by she's still an asset to them. But if she fights it that will lose them support for sure.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Neville Chamberlain says hello.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    do we see the problem with that comparison?
  • Options
    matt said:

brendan16 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

You’re an Indian/Pakistani citizen?
    Or Bangladeshi?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I think the main takeaway from this idea is that the ERG realises it doesn't have the votes.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,882
    These are very interesting articles. Thanks.

I remember hearing that Garibaldi did not unite Italy, he divided Africa.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    do we see the problem with that comparison?
    I see a few.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    edited October 2018
    I just want to thank @Alanbrooke for these three outstanding headers. Very interesting, well written and thought provoking.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited October 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    I think the main takeaway from this idea is that the ERG realises it doesn't have the votes.
    Actually I think Mrs May has lost the pragmatists/One Nation wing of the party/the people who think on her worst day Mrs May is miles better than the likes of David Davis, Andrea Leadsom, Boris et al on their best days.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The other is the physical separation between South and North Wales, which are more closely connected to their neighbouring English counties than to each other. Indeed Google maps does not suggest an all Welsh Cardiff-Llandudno journey either by car or train.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, indeed (on her losing many MPs).

But there's one thing that may save her. Those keenest to axe her will likely have penned letters already. And the rumour is only 2 more are needed for a contest, at which point she may be doomed by the feeling she's going anyway and the PCP would rather axe her a little earlier than be lumbered with her for at least a year.

That puts a lot of pressure on those who might pen those letters. And they're likely to be more ambivalent, haven't not yet written them.
  • Options
    Incidentally, if anyone missed my superb post-race analysis, give it a look:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2018/10/us-post-race-analysis.html

The race was very good, interesting things happened to the competitive midfield battle, and there was a late sting in the tale with a pair of post-race disqualifications.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Actually I think Mrs May has lost the pragmatists/One Nation wing of the party/the people who think on her worst day Mrs May is miles better than the likes of David Davis, Andrea Leadsom, Boris et al on their best days.
    Depends what "lost" means. I'll give her the rest of 2018. but fight another election? No way.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Churchill was leader of a Coalition government, so the parallel only holds if a new PM forms a Coalition Brexit government.

With Corbyn leading Labour this is unlikely. Attlee he isn't.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Depends what "lost" means. I'll give her the rest of 2018. but fight another election? No way.
    I think May getting Brexit over the line then changing leader is a good strategy.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The other is the physical separation between South and North Wales, which are more closely connected to their neighbouring English counties than to each other. Indeed Google maps does not suggest an all Welsh Cardiff-Llandudno journey either by car or train.
    I think the railway is still disconnected, but the A470 is a fine road (if you are not in a hurry).
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Her pride in being a "bloody difficult woman" is the problem. She thinks obstinacy is a virtue even when she has close to no support for the scheme she cooked up which now dare not speak its name.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    There are rumours flying about for some days now that one prominent Leaver is prepared to ask for a one year extension to Article 50 whilst the Tory party/government/country sorts itself out over Brexit.

The feeling is Mrs May has wasted two years.

Most Leavers have a bit of sense and realise No Deal keeps the Tories out of power for a generation at least.
  • Options
    When did a free trade agreement last cost £50bn?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I've been talking politics with a load of people over the weekend thanks to the march and an usually busy social calendar. The perception is that May is struggling to deal with a problem she didn't create while being opposed by a set of troublemakers. I think this is why the Tories are currently escaping the blame for the poor delivery of Brexit. Put someone else in who is perceived to have stabbed her in the back and the excuse disappears.

I know that us political anoraks don't see it this way, but perception is more powerful than reality in politics.
This discussion has been closed.