Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » However improbable. Looking at the next Prime Minister market

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    John_M said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Some people's real objection to a second referendum is that they'll lose the ability to sneer at Irish democracy.

If there were a second referendum, the side that didn't promise to end FoM would lose. Its all the whole thing has ever been about
    Not if it was No Deal as the alternative, Remain wins 55% to 45% with Yougov on that basis.

o
    The leave side would bang on and on and on about immigration controls, and the Remain side would have no answer. "Someone who is campaigning for us could have done something about it 14 years ago but didn't" isn't the new "Let's give £350m to the NHS"

As I said Eastern European migration has already fallen since the Leave vote anyway
    Yes it has fallen because they think we are leaving!
    What a load of crap. Britain is one of the most tolerant countries in Europe and figures back it up. You don’t realise how lucky we are!
    Overall, possibly. Depends where one is. Have you tried being an Essex boy in Geordie-land. Mostly it’s fine, because mostly they’re great people, BUT!

I've been on a bus in Bolton where the driver was discussing with the other passengers how much he hated Southerners (I'm from that London). I suppose I could have made a complaint to the bus company but decided it wasn't worth it.
    The 70s were a rougher age. I've got into fights because of my Irish surname, my glasses, looking at someone's bird, talking posh, spilling someone's beer, talking Northern, talking Southern (no, I don't understand either) not supporting some football team I can't even recall, dancing with someone's bird, standing *there* and so forth. Some people are just objectionable and looking for trouble. Unfortunately, in this day and age we just have to wade through their bile and ill informed rantings online, which is progress of a sort.
    Indeed.

I have a very clever, very lovely mate who has no tact whatsoever, and makes me sound entirely unpatronising. My favourite story is him humming fat-bottomed girls in. Abus quere and wondering why the ladies in front were giving him the evils.

At school I predicted he would inadvertently be dragged into into lots of fights - but he never has been. We’re a much softer generation - and it isn’t a bad thing at all. I do wish we could be (myself included) a bit more resilient. It would really help with our mental health.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

I give you credit for saying we must leave. I happen to agree.

I personally have no difficulty with the idea of another referendum to clarify the nature of the Leave.

I have no difficulty with Remain being on the ballot of a second referendum.

That is not generosity. It is because I have absolute confidence that Remain will fuck the opportunity up again.

The problem is an economy is not a short item on a rolling news channel. Look at (some of!) the forecasts made prior to the referendum. Many are playing out (of course I accept that economists predicted 10 out of the last six recessions) but in an economic, not snapchat time frame.

No one has the time to listen to, still less take time to understand the machinations of the savings rate or FDI or NAIRU or whatever. And they just want it all to go away and are under the impression that they are having to repeat themselves and hence they most likely will repeat themselves.

Plus what if Remain did win? Then what? We have trashed our relationship with the EU as a member and the best we can hope for is to become a respected third country with the concomitant diminution in our well-being that, as stated above, no one wants to take the time to understand.

Re-posting on the new thread also..
This discussion has been closed.