Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » To win the next election LAB need to find converts and it’s ha

Comments

• Options
    Nigelb said:
    Astra used to be a big player in Loughborough years ago, I knew lots of people who used to work there. They bailed out of the town 8 years ago with 1200 job losses. I'm not saying Brexit isn't an issue for them, but according to people who relocated to other sites, they have been cutting back for years.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    If we get another referendum, it must be next year, so my 6.5 bet comes off.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

then the sensible thing was not to make it an issue

True, we should never have voted for Brexit.

One sinner repents...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

This statement may actually have been a smart move by Theresa May. By demonstrating publicly the pressures that she is under from all sides, those on the EU side will gain a renewed appreciation of her limited room for manoeuvre. If it encourages more flexibility from them, that would have been an effective use of time.

They may feel sorry for her and they no doubt genuinely want to avoid No Deal, but what can they actually do?
    They can't allow cherry picking and they can't sell Eire out regarding the border.
    the border is a made up issue, they can kill it any time they want
    Tell that to the DUP.
    the DUP are quite contentedly sitting like a fat spider pulling the strings. The stupidity of Dublin London and Brussels has put them there and they will have their pound of flesh
    However it pans out, at the next election they will say they - and they alone - stood up for Northern Ireland. It's a (vote) winning strategy.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    DavidL said:

This statement may actually have been a smart move by Theresa May. By demonstrating publicly the pressures that she is under from all sides, those on the EU side will gain a renewed appreciation of her limited room for manoeuvre. If it encourages more flexibility from them, that would have been an effective use of time.

Agreed. This is a part of the negotiation and the Commons has played its part.
    I'm feeling sorry for her, she was given the mother of all hospital passes. Made some huge cock ups, but trying to do the best thing for all people, and pleasing no one.

Maybe Brexit really is un-deliverable, but the consquences of backing out and staying are just as grim.

And yet, I don't want to rejoin either.... oh my.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    ERG might as well get the letters in tonight and try to get rid of her.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    Doesn't look good for May. Tonight's news bulletins will not be good, judging by the stream of tweets from pol journalists saying this has exposed how little support she has anywhere in the Commons.
  • Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, I partly agree. She did want the job, and knew the referendum result when she went for it.

Like Didius Julianus, she may be regretting her ascension.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

TM said that if the negotiations result in no deal she will bring it back to the house and it is for the house to decide what to do

Opening for a second referendum ?

Actually that was a surprising comment and I think you are right to highlight it. No idea what she meant but she didn't need to say it like that.
    Could hardly blame her for saying 'sod it, you lot sort it out' at this stage.

I may profoundly disagree with her policies and approach, but hard not to admire her fortitude and dogged sense of duty.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,670
    I sort of said so. Maybe I was one, or maybe two, or maybe three, or ........ sessions at the despatch box too early.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    maaarsh said:

Lab don't need new voters. They just need enough conservatives ****ed off by this shower to sit on their hands.

But will they if Corbyn/McDonell and Momentum are the alternative?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited October 2018

They may feel sorry for her and they no doubt genuinely want to avoid No Deal, but what can they actually do?
    They can't allow cherry picking and they can't sell Eire out regarding the border.
    How? By allowing a hard border? By keeping a soft border and thus ignoring the fact the UK will be a third-party after Brexit? Everyone's looking for an answer here.

by dropping the issue totally, setting up an UK Ireland working group and putting the thing to bed. The volume of inter Irish trade is less than the turnover of Nissan Sunderland its not a big volume of trade.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    No the "only way out of it" is for our political class to do what they were told and leave the European Union.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Nigelb said:
    Astra used to be a big player in Loughborough years ago, I knew lots of people who used to work there. They bailed out of the town 8 years ago with 1200 job losses. I'm not saying Brexit isn't an issue for them, but according to people who relocated to other sites, they have been cutting back for years.
    Big development in Cambridge, though.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    GIN1138 said:

Yeh, why not. It'll fail and then they can be ignored.
  • Options
    I don't want to be part of the political EU, but i want to be a part of the economic EU.....
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Lab don't need new voters. They just need enough conservatives ****ed off by this shower to sit on their hands.

But will they if Corbyn/McDonell and Momentum are the alternative?
    Absolutely, 100% yes!

In fact a lot of people will be like me and will not only sit on their hands but will walk to the polling booth and vote for Corbyn just to get the Tories out.
  • Options

Mr. Slackbladder, I partly agree. She did want the job, and knew the referendum result when she went for it.

Like Didius Julianus, she may be regretting her ascension.

I think she honestly thought she could do it. She thought it was like the ECJ where she could opt out of it and rejoin the bits she liked. She now knows it doesn't work like that.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371

DavidL said:

I'm feeling sorry for her, she was given the mother of all hospital passes. Made some huge cock ups, but trying to do the best thing for all people, and pleasing no one.

Maybe Brexit really is un-deliverable, but the consquences of backing out and staying are just as grim.

The reality is that we need to take the deal on offer. She is desperately trying to improve that deal so it is (a) better for the country and (b) more likely to pass the HoC. Today has demonstrated to anyone watching what is needed for that and even then it is not a sure thing. One hopes that the EU were watching and appreciate how little room for maneuver she has.
  • Options

Tell that to the DUP.
    the DUP are quite contentedly sitting like a fat spider pulling the strings. The stupidity of Dublin London and Brussels has put them there and they will have their pound of flesh
    However it pans out, at the next election they will say they - and they alone - stood up for Northern Ireland. It's a (vote) winning strategy.
    That will be their view. Arlene Foster knows she will be in office in 2022, Leo Varadkar cant say the same
  • Options

I don't want to be part of the political EU, but i want to be a part of the economic EU.....

They are one and the same
  • Options
    So there is no support for whatever the government's position bar a half dozen backbenchers. Which doesn't matter as they don't have a deal to vote on anyway. MPs seem unlikely to just sit on their hands and not vote - which as I said seems to be the de facto the May strategy now.

"A second referendum isn't up to me" is brilliant - invites rebellious MPs (all of them...) to come up with their own ideas in the absence of a government plan. So a third referendum or a General Election really are in scope, as is a vote to compel HMG to NOT accept a No Deal scenario.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

They are being ignored anyway... Theresa's now opened the door to second referendum which is the final betrayal of the leave vote so there's nothing left to lose.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

No the "only way out of it" is for our political class to do what they were told and leave the European Union.
    Well, May has been trying to for over two years now.
    I'm sure it is possible via No Deal, but that would be disastrous and unpopular.
    If you think that it would be popular, then let's see via a new referendum.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    I think May is doing the right thing actually, when neither side is completely happy its a good sign, like BBC bias.
  • Options

DavidL said:

If you're lucky, you'll get both.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

They are being ignored anyway... Theresa's now opened the door to second referendum which is the final betrayal of the leave vote so there's nothing left to lose.
    May has not been ignoring them.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,879
    Scott_P said:
    Exactly. And it's a mess entirely of her own making.

May spent her formative years in Enstone church listening to her vicar father preach. I'm sure at least one sermon must have included the apocryphal prayer of St Francis of Assisi: "Where there is discord, may we bring harmony." But even if - by chance - she missed it at church, she must be aware of Thatcher quoting it outside 10 Downing Street in 1979.

She has done exactly the opposite of that. Given a narrow 52-48 result, she chose not healing, but division. Not harmony, but further discord. She adopted the language of "red lines". She, at Nick Timothy's bidding, boxed herself into hard Brexit. None of this was forced upon her. None.

All this is coming home to roost. She should have paid more attention during the sermon.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Because in the real as opposed to rhetorical world it really is that easy.
    How do we resolve the Irish Border? "Leave"
    How do we maintain trade as an unprepared 3rd party? "Leave"
    How do we certify our goods, drivers, aircraft etc etc? "Leave"

I enjoyed being a toddler from what I remember. Glad you still are.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The reality is that we need to take the deal on offer. She is desperately trying to improve that deal so it is (a) better for the country and (b) more likely to pass the HoC. Today has demonstrated to anyone watching what is needed for that and even then it is not a sure thing. One hopes that the EU were watching and appreciate how little room for maneuver she has.
    What is clear from today is that she cannot take the deal on offer. It doesn't have support from anyone.
  • Options
    I see Charlie Elphicke’s still described as an Independent. Isn’t it time his position was sorted. It can’t be that serious or the police would be all over it.

Incidentally, anyone know how the first day of the Mackinlay case went?
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

In the absence of agreed solutions, as set out in the previous paragraph, the United Kingdom will ensure that no new regulatory barriers develop between Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom, unless, consistent with the 1998 Agreement, the Northern Ireland Executive and Assembly agree that distinct arrangements are appropriate for Northern Ireland. In all circumstances, the United Kingdom will continue to ensure the same unfettered access for Northern Ireland's businesses to the whole of the United Kingdom internal market.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/joint_report.pdf

How does a border in the Irish sea 'continue to ensure the same unfettered access for Northern Ireland's businesses to the whole of the United Kingdom internal market.'?

How does a vet carrying out a few random checks on a truck full of sheep fetter access to the U.K. single market?
    Barnier told Foster that checks would go from 10% to 100%....
    How would veterinary checks on all sheep fetter access to the U.K. single market?
  • Options

So there is no support for whatever the government's position bar a half dozen backbenchers. Which doesn't matter as they don't have a deal to vote on anyway. MPs seem unlikely to just sit on their hands and not vote - which as I said seems to be the de facto the May strategy now.

"A second referendum isn't up to me" is brilliant - invites rebellious MPs (all of them...) to come up with their own ideas in the absence of a government plan. So a third referendum or a General Election really are in scope, as is a vote to compel HMG to NOT accept a No Deal scenario.

".. a vote to compel HMG to NOT accept a No Deal scenario."
    Interesting.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

Scott_P said:

May spent her formative years in Enstone church listening to her vicar father preach. I'm sure at least one sermon must have included the apocryphal prayer of St Francis of Assisi: "Where there is discord, may we bring harmony." But even if - by chance - she missed it at church, she must be aware of Thatcher quoting it outside 10 Downing Street in 1979.

She has done exactly the opposite of that. Given a narrow 52-48 result, she chose not healing, but division. Not harmony, but further discord. She adopted the language of "red lines". She, at Nick Timothy's bidding, boxed herself into hard Brexit. None of this was forced upon her. None.

All this is coming home to roost. She should have paid more attention during the sermon.
    Amen brother.

(or sister)
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Scott_P said:

They are one and the same
    And there's the rub.....

Indeed. That's why I'm unhappy with either option.
  • Options

".. a vote to compel HMG to NOT accept a No Deal scenario."
    Interesting.

https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/1051864785497849856
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Macron to speak to TM later today

Thought everything had to go through Barnier

He just wants to talk to someone less popular than he is. "It could be worse, Mme. May. I could be vous!".
    Not sure TM is less popular than Macron
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    This is what I'm hoping for. The real fun begins when we have second referendum and Leave wins by a bigger margin :)
  • Options
    edited October 2018

by dropping the issue totally, setting up an UK Ireland working group and putting the thing to bed. The volume of inter Irish trade is less than the turnover of Nissan Sunderland its not a big volume of trade.

Ireland doesn't negotiate anything. The EU does the negotiating. CTA, hundreds of years of history there may be but Ireland can't just decide on a relationship with a soon-to-be Third Country.
  • Options
    Mr. P, that's entirely possible.

I do have some sympathy for May. Putting up with Boris' dickishness would be irksome.
  • Options
    Leavers have to be very careful here however. Topple May, and Brexit is I think, lost.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

DavidL said:

I think she was crippled from the start because she was an ex-Remainer (albeit of the very quiet and unconvincing type). She had to convince skeptics that she really would be aiming to deliver Leave and thus be more Leave-y than Leavers. She had to come up with those red lines.

"Only Nixon could go to China", and maybe only a Leaver could have compromised sufficiently to achieve a compromise Brexit to satisfy as many on both sides as possible.

(I don't think Boris would have done it. God help me, I'm starting to think maybe Michael Gove could have pulled it off, and if not him, then no-one.*)

*This means I need to go for a lie-down, because there is no question to which the answer is "The best PM choice was Michael Gove"...
  • Options

In the absence of agreed solutions, as set out in the previous paragraph, the United Kingdom will ensure that no new regulatory barriers develop between Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom, unless, consistent with the 1998 Agreement, the Northern Ireland Executive and Assembly agree that distinct arrangements are appropriate for Northern Ireland. In all circumstances, the United Kingdom will continue to ensure the same unfettered access for Northern Ireland's businesses to the whole of the United Kingdom internal market.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/joint_report.pdf

How does a border in the Irish sea 'continue to ensure the same unfettered access for Northern Ireland's businesses to the whole of the United Kingdom internal market.'?

How does a vet carrying out a few random checks on a truck full of sheep fetter access to the U.K. single market?
    Barnier told Foster that checks would go from 10% to 100%....
    How would veterinary checks on all sheep fetter access to the U.K. single market?
    Aren’t the vets all EU nationals?
  • Options

Guardian suggests that if the Commons voted for a second referendum the Government would consider it.

In some modesty maybe I was the first to flag it up by quoting her comment that in a no deal she will leave it to the House to decide.

If I was a betting person I may have a few pounds on it
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

What is clear from today is that she cannot take the deal on offer. It doesn't have support from anyone.
    As I keep pointing out - there doesn't exist a deal that will have the support of the HoC.
  • Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, could you elaborate?

Any would-be Conservative leader will almost certainly have to pound the drum of departure.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

As I keep pointing out - there doesn't exist a deal that will have the support of the HoC.
    Precisely.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

This is what I'm hoping for. The real fun begins when we have second referendum and Leave wins by a bigger margin :)
    Maybe the EU will start negotiating in good faith then....

Too late!
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Did you see that video from the Losers Vote crowd where all those multi-millionaire luvvies were telling the plebs that they'd got it wrong and should vote again... Oh and BTW they'd better get it right next time?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The Gordian Knot of Brexit. Both deals and no-deals don't have a majority at all.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Fenster said:

That would be fine. A hard leave would then have a proper democratic mandate and the voters couldn't say they didn't know what they were voting for.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Cyclefree said:

Am I right in thinking that I have missed nothing of any interest?

Other than our political class making embarrassing fools of themselves. Again. No.

PS I hope you got a humungous bonus for your rain-making suggestion that McDonnell nationalise pensions. The amount of work that will create must have made your appraisers very happy indeed!
    My good work is, as always, its own reward.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I think she was crippled from the start because she was an ex-Remainer (albeit of the very quiet and unconvincing type). She had to convince skeptics that she really would be aiming to deliver Leave and thus be more Leave-y than Leavers. She had to come up with those red lines.

"Only Nixon could go to China", and maybe only a Leaver could have compromised sufficiently to achieve a compromise Brexit to satisfy as many on both sides as possible.

(I don't think Boris would have done it. God help me, I'm starting to think maybe Michael Gove could have pulled it off, and if not him, then no-one.*)

*This means I need to go for a lie-down, because there is no question to which the answer is "The best PM choice was Michael Gove"...
    Boris is good at U Turns.
    If he had been PM he wouldn't have needed to plot how to become PM anymore. It's just possible he may have given some thought as to what was best for the country.
    OK, maybe not.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Really? You think Robbins is trying to deliver Hard Brexit?

Well that's a niche view...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    The best part is, parliament can vote to stop "No deal" but there won't be time to pass anything to the EU before 29th March 2019, at which point we're out... without a deal xD
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    The more the Brexit saga drags on, the more obvious it becomes that our point of greatest leverage and ability to maximise the nation's best interests, was to go down the tried and tested "wrong outcome, so give us concessions" route in June 2016, rather than Cameron flouncing off and leaving a government and parliament trying to do something an overwhelming majority didn't want to do and believed was injurious the the national interest.

The Irish have done rather well out of that course. We might have won the substantive concessions Cameron failed to extract, and stayed in on better terms after a 2nd referendum, and carried on fighting for reform/ making a nuisance of ourselves from the inside.

How it could all have been so different....
  • Options

Mr. Slackbladder, could you elaborate?

Any would-be Conservative leader will almost certainly have to pound the drum of departure.

Becuase the situation within the Tory party wouldn't change with May no longer being there. If a strident leaver won the election, then the more 'pragmatic' tories would just take the place of what the ERG are doing now. Just as the ERG are pulling May towards a harder Brexit, a new grouping would pull a new leader to a softer one.

The numbers are such that each 'grouping' effectively hold a veto over whoever would be leader.
  • Options
    To be honest, she really would have to do this. That IS something no PM could accept.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Northern Ireland’s Arlene Foster has rejected the notion that Europe’s proposal to settle the Irish border question opens up a “best of both worlds” solution after Brexit.

In Dublin for talks with Irish premier Leo Varadkar, the leader of Democratic Unionists said the only workable solution was one in which Northern Ireland left the EU on the exact same terms as the rest of the UK.

Mrs Foster’s has rejected an outline Brexit deal that would keep Northern Ireland within the EU’s regulatory sphere, saying any new checks on goods moving into the region from Britain would lead eventually to the UK breaking up.

https://www.ft.com/content/fadfb212-d091-11e8-a9f2-7574db66bcd5

• Options
    JonathanD said:

Fenster said:

That would be fine. A hard leave would then have a proper democratic mandate and the voters couldn't say they didn't know what they were voting for.
    Sunlit uplands, £350million/week for the NHS, BMW will force EU to give us any easy Brexit, they need us more than we need them.
    It should work a second time, surely?
  • Options

Thats been clear for a while - the change today is that the PM appears to have finally accepted that to be the case. Not that a deal will be offered which is acceptable to the Commission / Ireland (with its veto) as well as whatever pinhead HMG happen to be dancing on that day.

No deal is possible - at least not under this government. Does May continue to obsfucate and take us patriotically over the edge? Tell MPs if they want another referendum thats their decision? Tell MPs if they want another election thats their decision?

In office but not in power. Not the government - we no longer have one. Just the PM, preserved by MPs caught in the headlights. Surely one of three things will happen and quickly - Tory MPs trigger a leadership election, MPs vote for another referendum, or MPs vote for another election.

ZombieMay might have given up. I doubt she will be allowed to sit rotting in office much longer
  • Options
    It has to be said: OGH's thread from this morning repays a rereading in the light of the afternoon's debate.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

If she can get a deal which eliminates the NI backstop, even if it replaces that with a UK wide backstop for a period, then I think she can get a majority. There are 318 Conservatives. I think a maximum of 5 of them would oppose such a deal, especially if it was made a matter of confidence. That gets them to 313. Add 10 DUPs and you have 323. With no SF that is enough, just, even without Labour rebels.
  • Options

Thats been clear for a while - the change today is that the PM appears to have finally accepted that to be the case. Not that a deal will be offered which is acceptable to the Commission / Ireland (with its veto) as well as whatever pinhead HMG happen to be dancing on that day.

No deal is possible - at least not under this government. Does May continue to obsfucate and take us patriotically over the edge? Tell MPs if they want another referendum thats their decision? Tell MPs if they want another election thats their decision?

In office but not in power. Not the government - we no longer have one. Just the PM, preserved by MPs caught in the headlights. Surely one of three things will happen and quickly - Tory MPs trigger a leadership election, MPs vote for another referendum, or MPs vote for another election.

ZombieMay might have given up. I doubt she will be allowed to sit rotting in office much longer
    Hard to argue with that, but I'm sure some will.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

He's never seen anything like it because he's never been elected to the Commons.
    Bitchy Bitchy.
  • Options

Leavers have to be very careful here however. Topple May, and Brexit is I think, lost.

I am sure of it. Indeed if we have learned anything today TM has fired a huge warning shot to ERG over her coded message that a no deal will be handed to the House to decide

After today the chance of remain must have risen

It would be ironic if ERG lose there dream by pushing too hard
  • Options

Doesn't look good for May. Tonight's news bulletins will not be good, judging by the stream of tweets from pol journalists saying this has exposed how little support she has anywhere in the Commons.

But would anyone else
  • Options
    JohnRussellJohnRussell Posts: 297
    edited October 2018

Or alternatively it encourages the different sides in parliament to be more cognisant of the stalemate. So far the argument that's been put most consistently by MPs has been about the need to go back to the people.
    Well of course it is, they nearly all want to Remain!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

If she can get a deal which eliminates the NI backstop, even if it replaces that with a UK wide backstop for a period, then I think she can get a majority. There are 318 Conservatives. I think a maximum of 5 of them would oppose such a deal, especially if it was made a matter of confidence. That gets them to 313. Add 10 DUPs and you have 323. With no SF that is enough, just, even without Labour rebels.
    "If she can get a deal which eliminates the NI backstop, even if it replaces that with a UK wide backstop for a period,"
    Can I stop you there?
  • Options

Northern Ireland’s Arlene Foster has rejected the notion that Europe’s proposal to settle the Irish border question opens up a “best of both worlds” solution after Brexit.

In Dublin for talks with Irish premier Leo Varadkar, the leader of Democratic Unionists said the only workable solution was one in which Northern Ireland left the EU on the exact same terms as the rest of the UK.

Mrs Foster’s has rejected an outline Brexit deal that would keep Northern Ireland within the EU’s regulatory sphere, saying any new checks on goods moving into the region from Britain would lead eventually to the UK breaking up.

https://www.ft.com/content/fadfb212-d091-11e8-a9f2-7574db66bcd5

Of course it hasnt occurred to Arlene that if the EU is using NI as a hostage to keep the UK in SM and CU, then the chances of a UI are next to zero. The EU cant afford to let the hostage go.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes. As noted above to @archer101au above, the key is in the EU compromising over their backstop. The whole of the UK in SM/CU or some variant thereof. What does the EU lose? The sanctity of their four freedoms, obvs, but they surely gain an awful lot of non-disruption and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

And of course that outcome would reflect what was agreed (!!!) at Ch*qu*rs.
  • Options
    Sorry Nigel her "commitments" are worth nothing. She does what Robbins tells her and that is all.
  • Options

To be honest, she really would have to do this. That IS something no PM could accept.
    When do you the penny will drop in Brussels?
  • Options

The more the Brexit saga drags on, the more obvious it becomes that our point of greatest leverage and ability to maximise the nation's best interests, was to go down the tried and tested "wrong outcome, so give us concessions" route in June 2016, rather than Cameron flouncing off and leaving a government and parliament trying to do something an overwhelming majority didn't want to do and believed was injurious the the national interest.

The Irish have done rather well out of that course. We might have won the substantive concessions Cameron failed to extract, and stayed in on better terms after a 2nd referendum, and carried on fighting for reform/ making a nuisance of ourselves from the inside.

17.4m people did not vote for better terms, they voted to leave.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    Labour need converts to win a majority but if Brexit is seen as too hard and enough Tories shift to the LDs or too soft and enough Tories shift to UKIP or stay at home Corbyn could still head a minority government with SNP and LD support even without any gains from the Tories
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Would anyone really want to be PM with parliament as divided on the issue as it is now?
  • Options
    Fenster said:

It won't if No Deal, it will lose
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes. As noted above to @archer101au above, the key is in the EU compromising over their backstop. The whole of the UK in SM/CU or some variant thereof. What does the EU lose? The sanctity of their four freedoms, obvs, but they surely gain an awful lot of non-disruption and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

And of course that outcome would reflect what was agreed (!!!) at Ch*qu*rs.
    Today was about showing that is the only option on the table. Its not a deal I will enthuse about but I hope her plan works.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I am sure of it. Indeed if we have learned anything today TM has fired a huge warning shot to ERG over her coded message that a no deal will be handed to the House to decide

It'll be NO DEAL.

The ERG hold all the cards. They don't have the power to bring forward a deal that commands the backing of the Commons (or one the EU will support) but they do have the power to bounce legislation round the House through delaying tactics, meaning Article 50 runs out of time.

If the shit really starts to hit the fan it'll be interesting to see if Varadkar blinks. Ireland will disproportionately suffer from No Deal more than any other country.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sorry Nigel her "commitments" are worth nothing. She does what Robbins tells her and that is all.
    I wonder how many MPs are thinking "at least a new PM would get rid of Robbins...."?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

"better terms" did not have a candidate on the ballot paper
  • Options
    currystar said:

Would anyone really want to be PM with parliament as divided on the issue as it is now?

Should there be a sudden vacancy, I expect there will be something close to 20 people answering your question in the positive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Fenster said:

If we reach No Deal there'll be no second referendum. There'll be a new election with Corbyn elected as PM. He's more anti-EU than Redwood.
  • Options

But would anyone else
    That's the point.
    Maybe she should propose a free vote of all MPs in all parties, let them all put forward suggestions and vote on them a la Labour Party conference motions.
  • Options

DavidL said:

"better terms" did not have a candidate on the ballot paper
    I think it did. The better terms the EU was willing to offer was Cameron's deal and 16.1m voted for it. For the majority it was not enough.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    edited October 2018

Ironic in the sense of a direct result of them not having a realistic analysis let alone an actual plan? They deserve the contempt of both remainers and leavers. I think the adjective we need here is pathetic rather than ironic.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

DUP don't bluff. It's existential.

What part of No do you not understand, eh.
    No nay never. NEVER!
    The problem, as far as the DUP is concerned, is that the whole thing stems from the Treaty of Rome.
    Therefore an extreme negative view is the default position.
    The other problem is that Northern Ireland benefits from both being in a close trading arrangement with the Republic, and being a part of the UK. (From whence it gets big public sector contracts and £11bn a year.)

It's hard to see how Northern Ireland benefits economically from Brexit, even if the rest of the UK does very well. And it does particularly poorly out of No Deal Brexit. (Albeit the Republic probably does even worse.)

Running with the idea that economic benefit is what matters is what led Remain astray in the first place.
    But I'm not talking about the referendum. I'm talking about what happens in Northern Ireland if there is a nasty post Brexit recession.

It's very easy to talk about the importance of being British when you have a secure job. Being British is not so important if you're newly unemployed.

Of course, Northern Ireland is a small place. The UK can increase subsidies there to help them deal with the potential loss of cross border trade. But there will be losers. And some of them will be sore.
    You didn't mention recession. You were talking about a changed trading relationship. Anyway how does the recession come about? Insufficient domestic spending? The £300m per week we don't flush into Brussels might help a bit there. And there's nothing to stop the BoE setting the interest rate appropriately for the domestic economy to offset deficient demand if we went all anaemic because of Brexit.
    My point is that Northern Ireland will be the most negatively impacted part of the UK by No Deal. I don't think that is particularly controversial as far as claims go.

I also find your comment about interest rates a little bizarre. The UK's household final consumption is already among the highest in the developed world. The structural issues with the UK economy will not be solved by adding more debt.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I wonder how many MPs are thinking "at least a new PM would get rid of Robbins...."?
    When Jezza and McDonnell get in they might send him to Sibiera? :D
  • Options
    currystar said:

Well, you wouldn't be bored. And it must be more interesting than wondering how the next £1bn is going to get pissed up the wall by bureaucrats in the NHS.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The problem remains that the only one of them desperate for the job is Boris Johnson.
  • Options

There isn't a Brexit that exists that has the support of a majority anywhere.

The lesson that should have been drawn from the referendum is there is no majority for Brexit. There was a very slim majority against the status quo
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

The problem remains that the only one of them desperate for the job is Boris Johnson.
    We're fucked....
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904

currystar said:

Should there be a sudden vacancy, I expect there will be something close to 20 people answering your question in the positive.
    Douglas Adams said anyone capable of getting themselves elected should be excluded automatically from the job.

In this case, if you’re mad enough to want to be PM now, you really shouldn’t be let near office.
  • Options
    I hear that the Finance Director of Patisserie Valerie has been arrested. I think that means he's now in custardy.
  • Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, thanks for that answer.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

HYUFD said:

Fenster said:

If we reach No Deal there'll be no second referendum. There'll be a new election with Corbyn elected as PM. He's more anti-EU than Redwood.
    If Corbyn becomes PM he will only be able to have a majority with SNP, LD and Labour Remainer MPs support, they will all demand the UK stays in the Single Market and the Customs Union if he wants to stay PM and get any legislation through
This discussion has been closed.