Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Housing policy could decide

13»

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Tories are talking about incest and assassination of their own policy. Definitely smells a bit broken.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Can anyone with a straight face say the Tories aren't completely bonkers?

They're queuing up to eulogize Boris.

Apparently there were 1500 people at the Boris fringe, and the Conference Hall which has a capacity of 3000 was half empty at the time.Tory Activists were queing round the block to get in with some Boris fans arriving at 9am to get a seat for his 1pm speech

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-blasts-mays-chequers-brexit-plans-a-cheat-a3951381.html?amp
    Boris is box office and news, and very entertaining. If I was attending the Conference, I'd have wanted to attend his speech. That doesn't alter the fact that of all the people who have been mooted as possible successors to Theresa May, he is second to bottom of the lot in my view. I expect a lot of those in that audience of 1500 feel that way.
    OK. Which of John McConnell and Jeremy Corbyn to do you rate more highly than Boris?
    Why the hate for John MacConnell?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

IANAE on GPS, but it wouldn't surprise me if Williamson was correct. For instance, Russia recently opened a ground station for Glosnass in Nicaragua, and another in SA.

Galileo has stations all over the place already:
    http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Navigation/Service_interruption_for_Galileo_system_upgrade

Does look like a bit of a gap wrt the Falklands though - don't think there are any French rocks down there.
    They don't have to be at sea, though. Patagonia would work, for instance.
    You’re taking geopolitical risk on the location

They probably assumed the UK was a stable long term partner

And we would be if they didn’t decide that we were a risk for some reason
    It would be interesting to know what the base stations are used for: I assume they are needed where they are to allow constant or near-constant contact with all the satellites in the constellation, so that if any commands are required (as an example, perhaps a manoeuvre to avoid orbital debris) it can be done in a timely manner as all satellites will always be able to 'see' at least one station.

In which case, the risk of 'losing' a station isn't automatically disastrous, as they orbit twice a day, and will soon be within sight of another station.

It might be that the stations need codes for the military aspects, and they don't want to share those with us. But that could probably be got around as well.

More information needed ...
    I thought they were needed for the A-GPS role - i.e. a ground based time signal to allow greater accuracy.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    edited October 2018
    Deleted
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited October 2018

No doubt Morris Dancer will know, but weren't the Praetorians specifically charged with making sure the emperor wasn't assassinated?
    "making sure the emperor wasn't assassinated *by anyone other than the Praetorian guard*" was how they approached it.

Edit: gotta love wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Roman_emperors_murdered_by_the_Praetorian_Guard

they make it 12.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

No doubt Morris Dancer will know, but weren't the Praetorians specifically charged with making sure the emperor wasn't assassinated?
    The quote highlights one of JRM's problems well: 90% of the population won't know what the Praetorian Guards were, aside from the fact they were something Roman. That's pretty much all I know of them. (*) I don't even know if it makes sense as a comparison.

It just makes him seem utterly out of touch. For most people he might as well talk in riddles.

I also think it's rather silly to use the word 'assassinate' in this context.

(*) I know that's one heck of an admission on here. ;)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Polruan said:

Polruan said:

I didn’t realise the DUP had taken to capitalising ‘NO’ in writing as well as speech these days.
    The interesting comment is Unionists. That incudes Ruth Davidson and Paul Davies, new conservative leader in Wales
    I’m not sure that Arlene necessarily consulted them before making that statement on their behalf though.
    I doubt it - and really the DUP need to wake up and smell the coffee or in this case Guiness - Corbyn would hand NI to the republic without a second thought and at this rate a fair few Tories might be having doubts. I suspect that Ms Foster is as thick as a plank.
  • Options

The Praetorian Guard also had a history of assassinating their protectee.
  • Options

Depended on who was paying the most. . .
  • Options

Sir Edward Leigh MP

Verified account

@EdwardLeighMP
    5h5 hours ago
    More
    Mixed-sex civil partnerships to be legalised. Why not for siblings too?

Tomorrow's headline "Politician shows no understanding about dangers of inbreeding"
    You need to get out of the gutter. His point is a fair one.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Nor, as polling shows, is No Deal acceptable to most voters in the UK
    I’ve not followed recent polling that closely - is there any single specific form of Brexit (rather than nebulous leaving with no defined destination) that beats remaining in the EU in a forced binary choice?
    Yes, a Canada style Deal, a Norway style Deal and even Chequers have higher net approval scores than Remain according to ICM but Remain has a higher net approval than No Deal in the same poll

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/libleave_brexit_spectrum.html
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

"making sure the emperor wasn't assassinated *by anyone other than the Praetorian guard*" was how they approached it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Roman_emperors_murdered_by_the_Praetorian_Guard

they make it 12.
    I especially love the disclaimer: 'This list may not reflect recent changes!'
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    12? That would be about 10% of the total? I guess they didn't have to send in 48 letters first.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Tories are talking about incest and assassination of their own policy. Definitely smells a bit broken.

No-one has spoken about incest. Not E. Leigh's point at all.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

MUFC game delayed traffic congestion.

Accident on the M40?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    edited October 2018
    felix said:

Jonathan said:

What was his point?

• Options

Theresa May's speech is at 10.00 am tomorrow

Good time to do a speech

Pubs open at 11... .
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Sir Edward Leigh MP

Verified account

@EdwardLeighMP
    5h5 hours ago
    More

The Conservatives are becoming too socially liberal in my view !!
  • Options

Good time to do a speech

Pubs open at 11... .
  • Options

felix said:

Jonathan said:

What was his point?
    https://twitter.com/EdwardLeighMP/status/1047150434044063744
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    12? That would be about 10% of the total? I guess they didn't have to send in 48 letters first.
    Are we counting the East Roman Empire as well as the West Roman Empire? If not there were 87 emperors so it was about 14% of the total.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    felix said:

Jonathan said:

Yes, its clearly a suggestion aimed at (elderly I'd assume) siblings cohabiting.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    ydoethur said:

Sometimes they cut out the middleman. Caligula and Pertinax spring to mind.

Interesting phrasing .... :smile:
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    But it was more than that. The list omits Severus Alexander, Maximinus Thrax and Philip II, for starters.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    Are we counting the East Roman Empire as well as the West Roman Empire? If not there were 87 emperors so it was about 14% of the total.
    Constantine abolished the Guard so nothing after him counts.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Lib Dems Broken. Labour Broken. Tories Broken. Britain Broken.

Cheer up.

It’s really not that bad.
    It might just be. Have you ever seen all our political parties so screwed up at the same time? That this happens during some of the most critical decisions is a concern. Unprecedented, or at least not seen since the 1920s.
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Lib Dems Broken. Labour Broken. Tories Broken. Britain Broken.

Cheer up.

It’s really not that bad.
    It might just be. Have you ever seen all our political parties so screwed up at the same time? That this happens during some of the most critical decisions is a concern. Unprecedented, or at least not seen since the 1920s.
    Nah, it’s not.

Sometimes I come on here after a busy day at work and realise we all live on a different planet on here..
    That’s a long commute!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    In that case I make it twelve of 62 or a fraction under 20%.
  • Options

I'll say this for Brexit. It is an education. I learnt today that the EU now has a ratchet clause in any trade deal to which it agrees. This means that any benefits that are offered to future partners have also to apply to the EU. So if we do leave the Customs Union and get better deals than we currently have with anywhere that has a deal with the EU, well the EU will get them too. So that's nice. In fact it will be rather like being in the Customs Union in a lot of ways.

MFN Clause. Standard - a WTO thing not an EU one
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    Bringing your political assassinations in-house is more efficient.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

I can only think of one MP who has publically said he was withdrawing his letter (though I've forgotten who it was) - so Brady is specifically calling him a liar.
    An MP is a liar? surprise.surprise...Most MP's have been at least economical with the truth. Would you count yourself amongst such company?
    Economical, certainly - at every election virtually every candidate selects the things they think helpful and shuts up about the others. Actual lying (e.g. saying I did X when I didn't), I don't think so. Generally politicians do try to avoid a flat lie - partly it makes them feel uncomfortable (really!) and partly the damage if found out is too severe.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

I can only think of one MP who has publically said he was withdrawing his letter (though I've forgotten who it was) - so Brady is specifically calling him a liar.
    An MP is a liar? surprise.surprise...Most MP's have been at least economical with the truth. Would you count yourself amongst such company?
    Economical, certainly - at every election virtually every candidate selects the things they think helpful and shuts up about the others. Actual lying (e.g. saying I did X when I didn't), I don't think so. Generally politicians do try to avoid a flat lie - partly it makes them feel uncomfortable (really!) and partly the damage if found out is too severe.
    Like I stopped appearing on Press TV after the way that they covered the 2009 elections? Lies like that?
  • Options
    John_M said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    And more profitable.

Who could forget that the Praetorians auctioned the Empire off after the murder of Pertinax? Which enabled the rich Didius Julianus to claim to be Emperor right up to the moment the army decided otherwise.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    ydoethur said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    And more profitable.

Who could forget that the Praetorians auctioned the Empire off after the murder of Pertinax? Which enabled the rich Didius Julianus to claim to be Emperor right up to the moment the army decided otherwise.
    Wasn't Claudius hiding behind a curtain when the guard decided he was ideal Emperor material?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826

Good time to do a speech

Yeah, get the ordeal over and done with and let everyone get to the bar for lunch... :D
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Like I stopped appearing on Press TV after the way that they covered the 2009 elections? Lies like that?
    My personal favourite is Tony Blair's 'I'm a pretty straight sort of guy.'
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    John_M said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    And more profitable.

Wasn't Claudius hiding behind a curtain when the guard decided he was ideal Emperor material?
    That's the story, certainly, ably retold by Graves.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    John_M said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    And more profitable.

So Suetonius said. If I recall correctly his qualification was pretty much being the last Julio/Claidian standing.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    And more profitable.

So Suetonius said. If I recall correctly his qualification was pretty much being the last Julio/Claidian standing.
    Or crouching, if he was hiding behind a curtain.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    I have now come to the conclusion that, away from the obviously sane and sensible triumvirate of May, Hammond and Javid, the Tories are stark raving cuckoo batshit bonkers. Of course, the clues were always there, but I have taught myself over the years to ignore the bizarre ramblings of PBers as utterly unrepresentative of the party. I was wrong, our very own PB Tory Leaver friends on here are close to the mean.
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi Much as I also think Boris Johnson is totally unsuitable to be PM, gaining a decent audience amongst his potential electorate (The Tory grassroots) is in no way a 'neutral' sign for him, it's definitely a positive.
    I think he's rightfully favourite to succeed May.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

I have now come to the conclusion that, away from the obviously sane and sensible triumvirate of May, Hammond and Javid, the Tories are stark raving cuckoo batshit bonkers. Of course, the clues were always there, but I have taught myself over the years to ignore the bizarre ramblings of PBers as utterly unrepresentative of the party. I was wrong, our very own PB Tory Leaver friends on here are close to the mean.

I am not and despair at the utter crassness of some on both the right and left of the party
  • Options
    I wish May luck tomorrow. I only hope she has the necessarily courage to take on the wreckers.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Apparently there were 1500 people at the Boris fringe, and the Conference Hall which has a capacity of 3000 was half empty at the time.Tory Activists were queing round the block to get in with some Boris fans arriving at 9am to get a seat for his 1pm speech

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-blasts-mays-chequers-brexit-plans-a-cheat-a3951381.html?amp
    Talking to themselves - not the nation

Boris doesn't even lead the ITV evening news
    Probably just a sign of the Remainstream media bias or something.

In all seriousness, was it a well delivered speech at least?
    I commented that it was a surprisingly good speech but as it continued it became tedious and faded towards the end as if he was losing concentration

Hunt and Javid have underwhelmed but Boris in the end was the same

At present the only grown up is TM
    TM the only grown up? She refuses to accept her bunny Chequers is dead - and keeps taking it food every day.

There's a mountain of rancid lettuce piling up that a grown up is going to have to sort....
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Before his speech you'd have included Hunt in this lot too ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Good time to do a speech

Yeah, get the ordeal over and done with and let everyone get to the bar for lunch... :D
    Boris started today like a possible candidate but he lost focus and became tedious and faded

Start of speech - possible contender - middle doubts arise - end not a chance

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

TM the only grown up? She refuses to accept her bunny Chequers is dead - and keeps taking it food every day.

Does that make the ERG a bunch of bunny boilers?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    I especially love the disclaimer: 'This list may not reflect recent changes!'

There is a science fiction novel series[1] which has as part of its backstory that among the “Latin-speaking professions”, the law, the clergy and medicine, there has been a centuries-long conspiracy to preserve the Roman Empire underground. As soon as humanity develops faster-than-light travel, they take over a suitably Earth-like planet and revive the Empire on it.

So who knows, maybe the author knows something the rest of us don’t!

[1] R. M. Meluch’s “Tour of the Merrimack”. Not recommended.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

I wish May luck tomorrow. I only hope she has the necessarily courage to take on the wreckers.

She has no choice and expect she will
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

I commented that it was a surprisingly good speech but as it continued it became tedious and faded towards the end as if he was losing concentration

There's a mountain of rancid lettuce piling up that a grown up is going to have to sort....
    It's not a bunny. It's definitely a parrot.

A Norwegian blue, with beautiful plumage, pining for the fjords...https://youtu.be/4vuW6tQ0218
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Before his speech you'd have included Hunt in this lot too ;)
    Indeed. The quartet of sanity has been reduced to a trio.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    edited October 2018

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

She and Hammond are the grown ups and will stand up to the wreckers
  • Options

Anazina said:

I am not and despair at the utter crassness of some on both the right and left of the party
    Indeed, and I weep with you.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

I misread that for a moment. While what I thought was there made sense, I thought that you'd come over all Sunil or Malcolm which startled me.

Then I realised the word was 'wreckers'...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    edited October 2018
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Some day the desire to run the nations best interest will re-emerge from these extreme positions but what the Country has to go through first is of great concern
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Fecking Aida, could you be any more melodramatic?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Pulpstar said:

@Richard_Nabavi Much as I also think Boris Johnson is totally unsuitable to be PM, gaining a decent audience amongst his potential electorate (The Tory grassroots) is in no way a 'neutral' sign for him, it's definitely a positive.

Yeah, it's plain as a pikestaff that he's the one with the ideas and the "vision thing" which are sorely lacking in the PM and CoE. They are good at the details and being safe pairs of hands, it is said. But are those the qualities to look for in a leader? Boris may be erratic, unconventional and even a tad unreliable but that hardly matters when comparison is made with the grey beings mentioned as possible leaders. Boris is technicolor.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826

GIN1138 said:

Good time to do a speech

Boris started today like a possible candidate but he lost focus and became tedious and faded

Start of speech - possible contender - middle doubts arise - end not a chance

He seems to be getting pretty good reviews on the evening news.

Though I don't think it'll be Boris in the end - My money's would be on Raab (if I was a political better) :D
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

I misread that for a moment. While what I thought was there made sense, I thought that you'd come over all Sunil or Malcolm which startled me.

Then I realised the word was 'wreckers'...
    You know me, now while I am tempted to use the other word that is not my style !!!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Evening all :)

As I have to work for a living, I shall avoid the widespread euphoria that will no doubt greet Theresa May's ability to speak for an hour or so without falling over tomorrow. Doubtless the content would be praised even if it was extracts from the Maidenhead phone book.

After Hunt's appalling effort and I can't even remember what Javid and Hammond said, May doesn't have a huge bar to scale but it's still a challenge. I suspect she'll say little or nothing about Brexit and focus on the more mundane and important.

I expect housing and transport to feature but May will at least talk some sense about housing unlike Boris today who spent the first part of his speech fighting the wrong battle. The problem about home ownership isn't the ownership (as it was) but the number of affordable homes. People rent because it provides them with the only chance to live in an area in which they can't afford to buy but changing that equation wrecks the owners in that area.

Carney may claim a "No Deal" will cause a house price fall of 35% but I suspect May doesn't want to test that. In terms of transport, the first and best thing the Prime Minister could do would be to publicly sack Grayling but the problem with transport is similar to the problem with housing - too many people want to travel and the capacity in the road, rail and air network just isn't there.

There will be solutions - Crossrail soon, some major road schemes before too long but problems such as new river crossings to the east of London take time and cost money and while capital borrowing at current rates probably isn't a bad idea the new bridge, tunnel or whatever is still decades away.

However, such projects do engender a sense of hope and optimism for the future and that is the one thing currently lacking. I actually thought Corbyn had a point when he talked about the Government's lack of humanity but it's more the lack of optimism that is the problem. May needs to answer the question "why should I vote Conservative" not "why shouldn't I vote Labour".
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Well obviously I was being hyperbolic, don’t take it literally captain.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Anazina said:

:+1:

It is probably going to get worse before it gets better
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

You're just schmoozing up to Big G.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Yeah, it's plain as a pikestaff that he's the one with the ideas and the "vision thing" which are sorely lacking in the PM and CoE. They are good at the details and being safe pairs of hands, it is said. But are those the qualities to look for in a leader? Boris may be erratic, unconventional and even a tad unreliable but that hardly matters when comparison is made with the grey beings mentioned as possible leaders. Boris is technicolor.
    Boris is modelling himself on Trumpton.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

He got there first.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,651
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

It's not a bunny. It's definitely a parrot.

A Norwegian blue, with beautiful plumage, pining for the fjords...
    Would that be the Norway option ?

• Options
    Anazina said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Fiddling his taxes ?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    And more profitable.

That can be a right pain in the arras.

• Options

felix said:

Jonathan said:

What was his point?
    Indeed. I once met a brother and sister who'd never married.. Owned properties incl main residence together and wealth over iht threshold, they were going to be hit for tens of thousands on iht when the first of them dies.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    With the Tories, usually it’s best to back the yooniteeee candidate. Takes something special for them to pick someone from an identifiable wing.

Find that yooniteeee candidate and there’s you next pm.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    And more profitable.

That's an awful pun, but rather than rail against it I shall go to bed.

Good night.
  • Options

felix said:

Jonathan said:

What was his point?
    Indeed. I once met a brother and sister who'd never married.. Owned properties incl main residence together and wealth over iht threshold, they were going to be hit for tens of thousands on iht when the first of them dies.
    Not at all uncommon I would guess.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

"making sure the emperor wasn't assassinated *by anyone other than the Praetorian guard*" was how they approached it

they make it 12.
    And more profitable.

Good night.
    At least it wasn’t long drawn.
    Bon nuit.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

"making sure the emperor wasn't assassinated *by anyone other than the Praetorian guard*" was how they approached it

they make it 12.
    And more profitable.

Good night.
    Bon nuit.

bonne
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Boris is technicolor.

In my younger days "technicolour yawn" was a metaphor for vomit

• Options

geoffw said:

Boris is technicolor.

In my younger days "technicolour yawn" was a metaphor for vomit

You must have been a bit of a wretch.
  • Options
    felix said:

Sir Edward Leigh MP

Verified account

@EdwardLeighMP
    5h5 hours ago
    More

Tomorrow's headline "Politician shows no understanding about dangers of inbreeding"
    No it is not.

Siblings getting married is incest and is illegal so civil partnerships are out on the same basis.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    And more profitable.

Good night.
    Bon nuit.

bonne
    We’ll have none of your Frenchy airs here, thanks.
    :smile:
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

All the things he proposes are non starters. His single positive political legacy are "Boris Bikes", which are doing wonders for the canal dredging industry!

I have never understood the allure of Boris, I don't think he is funny, he has poor judgement and he is self-obsessed. Some say he has modelled himself on Churchill, I would dispute that comparison as at least Churchill made judgements on broader criteria than what would temporarily boost his political standing.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

felix said:

Sir Edward Leigh MP

Verified account

@EdwardLeighMP
    5h5 hours ago
    More

No it is not.

Siblings getting married is incest and is illegal so civil partnerships are out on the same basis.
    They don't HAVE to have sex you know!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

geoffw said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

they make it 12.
    And more profitable.

Good night.
    Bon nuit.

bonne
    We’ll have none of your Frenchy airs here, thanks.
    :smile:
    That's what we call the maid. :smile:
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited October 2018
    MMXVIII
  • Options

felix said:

Sir Edward Leigh MP

Verified account

@EdwardLeighMP
    5h5 hours ago
    More

No it is not.

So... sibling marriage is ok on that basis?
  • Options

felix said:

Sir Edward Leigh MP

Verified account

@EdwardLeighMP
    5h5 hours ago
    More

No it is not.

They should get IHT advice and then its not a problem.
    Well what's your advice o taxman?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    NEW THReAD
  • Options

felix said:

Jonathan said:

What was his point?
    Why restrict to siblings. If it’s about IHT just say you can pass the house tax free to someone who lives there full time. That’s what this is all about
This discussion has been closed.