Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis: Optionally Rewarding – The Dark Side of Sha

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Mortimer said:

App-gate and a crap May conference speech, plus some infighting and some twattish Tories found swigging Champers should soon put an end to the 6-point lead.

I doubt the app fiasco will move the dial, to be honest. It’s a bubble story.

A bad speech would, though.
    I was sort of joking. Actually, what will probably happen, is it really pisses off journos and then they are super grumpy and that isn't a good thing if you want some positive PR.
    +1
  • Options
    Are we expecting any more polls today?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,337
    That's quite good.

She's had more last chances than anyone since Graeme Hick (although Keaton Jennings may be about to surpass both of them).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

kingbongo said:

matt said:

Jonathan said:

This app thing. Feel sorry for whatever minion is getting ripped to shreds right now.

One’s meant to blame first, reflect later but mistakes happen. Nobody died.
    This is a piece of software thst appears to have been knocked up and chucked into a production environment with no release procedure, sign off on acceptance tests - there actually isn’t any excuse for such a basic error - it indicates a dev environment where nobody actually knows how to support each other to avoid these obvious potential problems
    That’s the modern way - work fast and break things, as a famous CEO said not so long ago.

Software companies, especially the smaller ones, love to have dev guys and customers working together, fixing stuff on the fly to make their product “dynamic” and “flexible”. Who cares about QA, just let the customers find the bugs. Nothing can seriously go wrong, can it...?
    The funny bit is that management hear phrases like "agile development", and assume they mean fast.
    Agile can be made to work in certain scenarios, providing the teams are well organised and everyone is up to speed. Most likely those criteria are not met, and an ongoing mess/crisis is the result.

I wouldn’t recommend it for anything involving customer data though, or anything subject to GDPR, PCI DSS or putting on aeroplanes, trains, power stations, political conferences, that sort of thing...
    Agile development doesn't mean releasing things without proper testing. It means doing the development (and testing) in small chunks so that you can change your development priorities without having to rewrite a multi-year development plan.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Everywhere, politicians are realising that fiscal rectitude doesn't pay anyome. The long-term consequences of deficit spending are always the same: inflation.

Japan:
    National debt: 233% of GDP
    Inflation: 1.3%/annum.
    Yes, that is the counter to my theory.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Well, looks like Labour had their reverse conference bounce. Probably a logic to that: they got their time in the sun, and it wasn't a pretty sight.

Now the Tories will probably do the same, and we'll be back to 40/40 or whatever.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,988
    DavidL said:

JonathanD said:

Pulpstar said:

Full FBI investigation incoming, if anything is off with Brett this should find it.
    Full 7 day max investigation. Even if things are off it may not be possible to ever find proof let alone in 7 days.
    If the FBI were even able to determine a date and venue for this party, it would be helpful.
    Who was there would be good too.
    Don't know about you, but I'd struggle to remember precisely which parties I might have been to when I was 17, and that was in 98 not 1982. All those except perhaps Kavanaugh, Judge and Ford will have long forgotten I suspect.
    This is 36 years ago !
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    Andrew said:

Well, looks like Labour had their reverse conference bounce. Probably a logic to that: they got their time in the sun, and it wasn't a pretty sight.

Now the Tories will probably do the same, and we'll be back to 40/40 or whatever.

I thought Labour's conference went fine really, but I can see the sense in that - neither are exactly sterling quality right now, so exposure might be the last thing either needs.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andrew said:

I thought Labour's conference went fine really, but I can see the sense in that - neither are exactly sterling quality right now, so exposure might be the last thing either needs.
    The only explanation I can think of was the Brexit positioning.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Everywhere, politicians are realising that fiscal rectitude doesn't pay anyome. The long-term consequences of deficit spending are always the same: inflation.

Japan:
    Peter Pham analyses Japan's debt here.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterpham/2017/12/11/when-will-japans-debt-crisis-implode/#75fba4b4c6d9

TLDR at the moment, it is OK because of globally low interest rates. Big crunch point in ~ 2040.
    Japanese households have very high savings rates. It's almost like there is a collective desire to cover their eyes. There is this strange combination where the government doesn't raise enough taxes, but the population agrees to lend the missing millions to the government. And it's all OK.

The question, which I need to address, is "do demographics put constant downward pressure on inflation"? Perhaps there is a correlation between falling asset prices, and falling consumer prices?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

kingbongo said:

matt said:

Jonathan said:

This app thing. Feel sorry for whatever minion is getting ripped to shreds right now.

This is a piece of software thst appears to have been knocked up and chucked into a production environment with no release procedure, sign off on acceptance tests - there actually isn’t any excuse for such a basic error - it indicates a dev environment where nobody actually knows how to support each other to avoid these obvious potential problems
    That’s the modern way - work fast and break things, as a famous CEO said not so long ago.

Software companies, especially the smaller ones, love to have dev guys and customers working together, fixing stuff on the fly to make their product “dynamic” and “flexible”. Who cares about QA, just let the customers find the bugs. Nothing can seriously go wrong, can it...?
    The funny bit is that management hear phrases like "agile development", and assume they mean fast.
    Agile can be made to work in certain scenarios, providing the teams are well organised and everyone is up to speed. Most likely those criteria are not met, and an ongoing mess/crisis is the result.

I wouldn’t recommend it for anything involving customer data though, or anything subject to GDPR, PCI DSS or putting on aeroplanes, trains, power stations, political conferences, that sort of thing...
    Agile development doesn't mean releasing things without proper testing. It means doing the development (and testing) in small chunks so that you can change your development priorities without having to rewrite a multi-year development plan.
    Most agile shops I know have rigorous unit and functional tests too.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

You don't think the anti-semitism and calls for violent revolution may perhaps have been politically maladroit?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That's quite good.

She's had more last chances than anyone since Graeme Hick (although Keaton Jennings may be about to surpass both of them).
    Hick was my hero as a kid. Met him when I was about 6 and he seemed like a giant. Didn’t perform as well for England as for Worcs, though, it has to be said.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

kingbongo said:

matt said:

Jonathan said:

exactly right - if you are in the UK the power you are gettng to post on PB is almost certainly coming at some point through cables whose temperature is being monitored via an application developed using Agile - just actual Agile not a bunch of tests thinking it means you don’t need process, documentation or proper test practices
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

JonathanD said:

Pulpstar said:

Full FBI investigation incoming, if anything is off with Brett this should find it.
    Full 7 day max investigation. Even if things are off it may not be possible to ever find proof let alone in 7 days.
    If the FBI were even able to determine a date and venue for this party, it would be helpful.
    Who was there would be good too.
    Don't know about you, but I'd struggle to remember precisely which parties I might have been to when I was 17, and that was in 98 not 1982. All those except perhaps Kavanaugh, Judge and Ford will have long forgotten I suspect.
    This is 36 years ago !
    But his claims to be out of State can surely be explored and tested. Other than that I agree. In a time before location data on mobiles and CCTV everywhere establishing who was there is likely to be much more difficult.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

Absolubtely NO mention of Brexit in their (Very good I think) PPB (Even tangentially). They need the game to be moved on come next GE just as much as the Tories.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think the question is "will something be unearthed that would cause massive embarassment later?" If so, Kavanaugh will simply withdraw his name from consideration.

If it happens, and I think it is perhaps a one-in-three, one-in-four shot, then it is likely to come from Mark Judge basically refusing to answer questions (or taking the Fifth).
  • Options
    We’re getting closer to the magic number that will ensure a parliamentary majority for a second referendum.
    https://twitter.com/sarahwollaston/status/1046022776291758080?s=21
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Greens just 11% behind the CDU/CSU in new poll:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

Germany, Forsa poll:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 28%
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 17% (+1)
    SPD-S&D: 16% (-1)
    AfD-EFDD: 15%
    LINKE-LEFT: 10%
    FDP-ALDE: 9%

Field work: 24-28/09/18
    Sample size: 2,501"

More important is surely Greens are the opposition in that poll? Which is reassuring there was an assumption that opposition might coalesce with the AfD but it seems to have found a healthier outlet.
    The Greens ought to go for first place. They just need to hoover up a few more SPD voters disgruntled with the grand coalition.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited September 2018
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

You don't think the anti-semitism and calls for violent revolution may perhaps have been politically maladroit?
    Most people don't follow this stuff very closely. The big thing that got lots of coverage was Brexit vote wheeze.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

kingbongo said:

matt said:

Jonathan said:

Most agile shops I know have rigorous unit and functional tests too.
    Agile/Lean development has improved quality in my experience. But people do expect more from less and get surprised when things aren’t perfect.
  • Options
    kingbongo said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

kingbongo said:

matt said:

Jonathan said:

exactly right - if you are in the UK the power you are gettng to post on PB is almost certainly coming at some point through cables whose temperature is being monitored via an application developed using Agile - just actual Agile not a bunch of tests thinking it means you don’t need process, documentation or proper test practices
    that was a bunch of tw@s not tests - a bunch of tests, that would have been good
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Sigh. The party was Thursday the 1st of July. The date in the diary when Kavanaugh writes "(brew)skis with MJ"
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    Time until Jezza starts back-peddling on Starmer's second referendum on Remaining.... 5...4...3... ;)
  • Options
    Oh dear Shaqiri. that was as epic a fail as Conservative Party conference app.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

Most people don't follow this stuff very closely. The big thing that got lots of coverage was Brexit vote wheeze.
    No, people do not follow Brexit very closely. Despite its potential importance, in the real world outside PB most people yawn at it.

But one deranged nobody with an IQ in single figures elected by accident calling for revolution plus Corbyn having to repeatedly explain he doesn't actually hate Jews despite working for a Neo-Nazi government were, shall we say, suboptimal.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

JonathanD said:

Pulpstar said:
    It was Thursday the 1st of July. The date in the diary when Kavanaugh writes "(brew)skis with MJ"
    Missed that. I thought she was quite uncertain when it was. So where was she that weekend? Is that the party she was remembering?
  • Options
    I was ridin' down the trail from Colwyn Bay
    When I met a Brexiteer along the way
    I said "Ain't we met before?"
    But he shouted and he swore
    So I tipped my hat and slowly rode away

When I met a Corbynista on the way
    I said "Baby, you're a dream"
    She said "Touch me and I'll scream!"

:)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

No, people do not follow Brexit very closely. Despite its potential importance, in the real world outside PB most people yawn at it.

But one deranged nobody with an IQ in single figures elected by accident calling for revolution plus Corbyn having to repeatedly explain he doesn't actually hate Jews despite working for a Neo-Nazi government were, shall we say, suboptimal.
    I agree people don't follow Brexit closely, but there was huge coverage of Starmer saying something about another Vote with potentially remaining. If you heard about late night call for revolution or Jezza unable to apologise for his history with people who hate the Jews, you will have definitely heard that bit about Labour offering another vote.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

I agree people don't follow Brexit closely, but there was huge coverage of Starmer saying something about another Vote with potentially remaining. If you heard about late night call for revolution or Jezza unable to apologise for his history with people who hate the Jews, you will have definitely heard that bit about Labour offering another vote.
    It was lower in the TV bulletins. Laura Smith's Clapham Common moment dominated the airwaves and the net for a full day.

Indeed, the main way Brexit got traction was to show how hopelessly divided Labour are (and to give yet another opportunity to show Corbyn's inability to pick capable Shadow Ministers).

But that doesn't help the Conservatives under current circumstances...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Missed that. I thought she was quite uncertain when it was. So where was she that weekend? Is that the party she was remembering?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/brett-kavanaughs-calendar-for-july-1-1982-go-to-timmys-for-skis-with-judge.html
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,139
    Still has 6% for UKIP.

So probably the lead is a couple of points better for the Tories than the headline number. Majority in reach?
  • Options

We’re getting closer to the magic number that will ensure a parliamentary majority for a second referendum.

If anybody wasn't already counting Heidi Allen in the numbers, they really weren't paying attention....
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894

Still has 6% for UKIP.

So probably the lead is a couple of points better for the Tories than the headline number. Majority in reach?

After what might happen next week as the Party tears itself apart, almost certainly not.

• Options

WTAF? Sunil was riding from Colwyn Bay when he could have gone by train? Especially some rather nice Mark II loco hauled stock?

Have we reached the end times?
  • Options
    Betting Post
    F1: pre-race ramble here: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2018/09/russia-pre-race-2018.html

In the end, backed Leclerc and Perez to be winner without the big 6, each way (third the odds top 2) at 5.5 and 9.5 respectively.

I was also really tempted by Red Bull to top score at 67. Not a proper tip, but I did put a tiny sum on in the end, because if they ended up doing it I'd be livid if I didn't make anything at all. But they need a big slice of luck (likely one DNF each from Mercedes and Ferrari, and no DNFs themselves).
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

If I was writing the PM's speech I would include two big ticket items:

1. £3000 worth of travel costs relief at basic rate, something only those who work benefit from. Loads of companies have travel loan programmes, it wouldn't be difficult to offer basic rate relief.

2. Mortgage interest relief at the basic rate for first time buyers for the first 5 years of a mortgage.

Fuck the deficit, there's no votes in fiscal continence at the moment. We need to win in 2022, even if it means a little bit less tax take.

The forty year bond bear market has begun. Owning 50 year bonds with low yields will be an excellent way to lose money.
    I’m putting my FI exposure into short dated USD denominated investment grade corporate bonds
  • Options
    stodge said:

Still has 6% for UKIP.

After what might happen next week as the Party tears itself apart, almost certainly not.

Indeed - assuming the polls are accurate the Tories having any kind of lead given the runctions the government goes through constantly is quite impressive, but they have still be putting off internal confrontations, and contradictions which will need to be tacked head on at some point, with consequences.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

Fine.. Only if you think the presentation of Marxist type policies was fine, then I suppose so, otherwise it was a fecking disaster. I doubt the electorate will fall for it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

Fine.. Only if you think the presentation of Marxist type policies was fine, then I suppose so, otherwise it was a fecking disaster. I doubt the electorate will fall for it.
    Labour are still in the mid to high 30s, their general policies are clearly not a disaster even if it is the case it is putting a ceiling on their support.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

If anybody wasn't already counting Heidi Allen in the numbers, they really weren't paying attention....
    Sarah Wollaston and Heidi Allen are probably the two most likely defections from the PCP, they’d both happily live in the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

WTAF? Sunil was riding from Colwyn Bay when he could have gone by train? Especially some rather nice Mark II loco hauled stock?

Hang on, ydoethur, one can always RIDE a train :lol:
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

I should point out we thought that last year, that nobody would fall for a patently uncosted dream list of a pair of intellectually stunted Marxists who were quite open about their desire to take the country back to the 1820s.

39.99% of the electorate as near as toucher proved us wrong.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Phew.

For a moment I was really worried there.

I do wonder however how you met them while riding a train and somehow still slowly rode away...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Phew.

I do wonder however how you met them while riding a train and somehow still slowly rode away...
    Arriva Train Wales, of course.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited September 2018
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

1. £3000 worth of travel costs relief at basic rate, something only those who work benefit from. Loads of companies have travel loan programmes, it wouldn't be difficult to offer basic rate relief.

2. Mortgage interest relief at the basic rate for first time buyers for the first 5 years of a mortgage.

Fuck the deficit, there's no votes in fiscal continence at the moment. We need to win in 2022, even if it means a little bit less tax take.

The forty year bond bear market has begun. Owning 50 year bonds with low yields will be an excellent way to lose money.
    I’m putting my FI exposure into short dated USD denominated investment grade corporate bonds
    FPT: thanks, PM'd you. Vaccine question is industry-related not medical, you'll be glad to hear!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

I should point out we thought that last year, that nobody would fall for a patently uncosted dream list of a pair of intellectually stunted Marxists who were quite open about their desire to take the country back to the 1820s.

fair comment.. its just the magic money tree all over again
  • Options

Still has 6% for UKIP.

No, I don't think so (At least perhaps not with these numbers) - here's why

2017 Con + Lab + LD + UKIP = 94.0%
    2015 Con + Lab + LD + UKIP = 90.0%
    2010 Con + Lab + LD + UKIP = 93.4%
    2005 Con + Lab + LD + UKIP(0) = 92.1%

Green 2017 = 1.7%; SNP 3.1% Resi left (4.8%)
    Green 2015 = 3.8%; SNP 4.9% Resi left (8.7%)

BNP 2005 = 0.7%
    BNP 2010 = 1.9%
    2015, 2017 (*)

I think 2015 was an exception to the rule for the left here, the left vote is firmly held by Corbyn now - there is no "Grune/SPD" level in the polls here. This poll sums through to 90, which means I think the Labour score may well be underestimated here. I don't see much evidence of a Green recovery which means the Tories probably need to be in the 40s.
  • Options
    By the way, I can't help notice that NOBODY seems to have even watched the video yet :(
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

By the way, I can't help notice that NOBODY seems to have even watched the video yet :(

I watched it on Youtube earlier :)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Japan:
    Yes, that is the counter to my theory.
    I think that's down to the size of Japan's QE programme and the fact that most of the debt is internally held in the country.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

But the alternative was a patently unachievable fantasy promoted by people whose aim appeared to be to take the country back to the 16th century. The 1820s looked quite attractive compared to that.
  • Options
    Nobody seems to have mentioned on here - or generally - that Mark Judge wrote a book about the teenage drinking culture at Georgetown Prep.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1568381425?ie=UTF8&tag=washpost-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=1568381425
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

And you liked and shared it, right?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

And did a comment about how great it was too...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    rcs1000 said:

It sometimes takes a few hours for the viewing figures to be updated.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

I think that's very sensible. Two year yields on AA/A/BBB corporate US debt are reasonable (thanks inverted yield curve), you're in the safe haven currency, and you can roll into higher yield assets if inflation picks up. I'm doing similarly, except I'm buying short dated, good credit, munis, as the yields are similar but there are no federal tax implications.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

What happened to "Labour's narrative is speaking to middle England" even the right wing columnists were all writing this week?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Mostly disagree.

Reverse the fiscal drag that’s pulled more and more people into the 40% rate.

Reverse benefit-in-kind treatment of employer-provided healthcare

Work to integrate income tax and NI, specifically so that idle rich pay more on index-linked final salary pensions.

Allow councils to increase local taxes for social care, aim to reduce central support for local government.

And most importantly, run a balanced budget and shout about it from the rooftops. Go hard on those in bright red who will borrow even more from your grandchildren to pay for today’s largesse.
    And we can watch as Corbyn wins and destroys the national economy. At the end of the day, we have to win first. Everything else, including policy, comes second.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    'Chequers: A Brexit for ordinary bat people'.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

But the alternative was a patently unachievable fantasy promoted by people whose aim appeared to be to take the country back to the 16th century. The 1820s looked quite attractive compared to that.
    Without wishing to be all Four Yorkshiremen about this, it really, really wasn't. It was just a poor campaign by a shy person who had no people skills (edit - although I agree they had significant policy problems as well).

It was Labour who wanted to pay public servants £30 a year and destroy the state education system. Not the Tories.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Without wishing to be all Four Yorkshiremen about this, it really, really wasn't. It was just a poor campaign by a shy person who had no people skills (edit - although I agree they had significant policy problems as well).

It was Labour who wanted to pay public servants £30 a year and destroy the state education system. Not the Tories.

Pay public servants £30 a year???? Are you sure this was in the Labour manifesto?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Mostly disagree.

Work to integrate income tax and NI, specifically so that idle rich pay more on index-linked final salary pensions.

Allow councils to increase local taxes for social care, aim to reduce central support for local government.

And most importantly, run a balanced budget and shout about it from the rooftops. Go hard on those in bright red who will borrow even more from your grandchildren to pay for today’s largesse.
    And we can watch as Corbyn wins and destroys the national economy. At the end of the day, we have to win first. Everything else, including policy, comes second.
    I like the tax relief on travel idea. Relief on 6,666 miles for car commuters ;) ?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,952
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

What's wrong with paying civil servants £30k pa?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

Nothing, £30 seemed a bit mean for the police though #abbotmaths
  • Options
    I keep reading about Labour and profligate spending and debt.

Yet its the Tories who have borrowed Eight Hundred Billion Pounds in 8 years AND had to slash front line services...
  • Options

Yet its the Tories who have borrowed Eight Hundred Billion Pounds in 8 years AND had to slash front line services...

What services would you have cut to balance the budget ?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Nobody seems to have mentioned on here - or generally - that Mark Judge wrote a book about the teenage drinking culture at Georgetown Prep.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1568381425?ie=UTF8&tag=washpost-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=1568381425

With amazing anecdotes about the hard drinking Bart O'Kavanaugh.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,952
    Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Andrew said:

Nothing, £30 seemed a bit mean for the police though #abbotmaths
    Oh, I see. Thank you.
  • Options

And yet they were cutting too far and too fast.....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Mostly disagree.

The answer isn’t to meet Corbyn half way. It’s to carry on with what we know works, what’s been a success in the last decade (and the last 40 years!) and make sure we communicate our successes - as well as forensic examination of what others propose.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

And IF Labour had run a balanced book in the good years things wouldn't be so bad

but thats a very big if
  • Options

You do realise that is a measure of just how fucked the economy was that we inherited from Labour? Epically fucked. And yet Corbyn wants to go bigger.....far bigger.
  • Options

That cartoon is searing.

Very similar to one Marf did for PB on the Westminster Sex Scandal.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

And did a comment about how great it was too...
    It's a great video.

Maybe the title is too technocratic to hook people?

Maybe it should be called something like: "gambling with your money? the dark side of executive pay"?

I wouldn't even say share options. As soon as people read something like that it can put them off because they worry they won't understand it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Mostly disagree.

The answer isn’t to meet Corbyn half way. It’s to carry on with what we know works, what’s been a success in the last decade (and the last 40 years!) and make sure we communicate our successes - as well as forensic examination of what others propose.
    Successes? The Tories have led the UK into the worst crisis since 1940. The very existence of the union is in question. Even Corbyn would struggle to beat that.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

There is a difference between a novel and a biography...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Phew.

By the way, having done the Pembroke branch yesterday, I have essentially done all National Rail routes that run on weekdays in England und Wales :)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Very good video Robert. Perhaps you could give your two penn'orth on the audit sector in a future video:

https://tinyurl.com/ybuuruml
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Mostly disagree.

I like the tax relief on travel idea. Relief on 6,666 miles for car commuters ;) ?
    £3000 worth of petrol or whatever.
  • Options

You do realise that is a measure of just how fucked the economy was that we inherited from Labour? Epically fucked. And yet Corbyn wants to go bigger.....far bigger.
    Its all true*. Labour fucked up the economy so much that the Tories had to increase the national debt by 80% whilst slash and burning every service in sight.

*Not true

Did Osborne pilot that Conference App when running the Treasury? A Nigerian scammer managing to log in and lift a few hundred billion off us might explain it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Mostly disagree.

And we'll lose. We're in the era of vote buying, the party can either get on board and do it in a sensible way or lose.
  • Options
    Not altogether surprised Labour don't seem to have had a conference bounce. The Brexit policy was an inconsistent mess, there was the shambles over the deputy leadership, an MP called for a general strike, Corbyn promised 400,000 new energy related jobs (seriously), and at last Business people started saying how much damage some of the economic policies would do.

Columnists are right to say that Labour have identified some of the problems, but they wont achieve electoral success if middle England thinks their solutions are either fantasy or damaging.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Its all true*. Labour fucked up the economy so much that the Tories had to increase the national debt by 80% whilst slash and burning every service in sight.

*Not true

Most academic economists appear to agree with you.
  • Options

So what would you have done, cut more or borrowed more?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Very good video Robert. Perhaps you could give your two penn'orth on the audit sector in a future video:

https://tinyurl.com/ybuuruml

Yes. I could. :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yet despite that the public finances are doing surprisingly better than expected every time the results are announced.

I call bullsh*t.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cut more, borrowed more or expanded the economy? Funny how growth gets forgotten.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Cut more, borrowed more or expanded the economy? Funny how growth gets forgotten.
    Growth has happened though. Eliminating Labour's deficit on day one was never an option.
  • Options

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

There is a difference between a novel and a biography...
    Kavanaugh is 1/4 (implying 80 per cent likely) to be nominated and 12/5 not to be. The FBI won't be reading that book but the media might.
  • Options
    Re the video -- the thesis sounds plausible enough but where is the evidence? It is surely something that must have been studied already.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

And Labour wanted to cut NHS spending..... funny old world
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Growth has happened though. Eliminating Labour's deficit on day one was never an option.
    The economy was recovering from the global financial crisis in 2010 until Osborne became Chancellor (insert Ballsian flatlining hand gesture here).
This discussion has been closed.