Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis: Optionally Rewarding – The Dark Side of Sha

124»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    SeanT said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

There is one connecting Denmark to Sweden
    I have driven over it. Fabulous bridge
    I went over it twice last month. Once by train, once by car. Bit disappointed, to be honest. It is oddly unspectacular.

The Norman Foster bridge in France - the Millau viaduct - is much much more impressive, literally jaw-dropping.

https://www.fosterandpartners.com/projects/millau-viaduct/
    That's exactly the kind of thing the French do so well. (When combined with British architects.)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

SeanT said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

I went over it twice last month. Once by train, once by car. Bit disappointed, to be honest. It is oddly unspectacular.

The Norman Foster bridge in France - the Millau viaduct - is much much more impressive, literally jaw-dropping.

That bridge gives me panic attacks just to look at it. I would never use it. It just scares me too much. Even if it is visually stunning.
    I am content to admire it from afar.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

Which cost around £2.5bn.
    Good luck building a Boris folly for many multiples of that.
    Why is international infrastructure a folly? It's hardly an unnecessary bridge across the Thames in central London.

People lose all perspective just because it has Boris's name attached. Boris Island would have been an inspired airport. And you could have built a new city on the site of Heathrow, a la Canary Wharf.
    Yes, Boris Island made a lot of sense, in a way. It is no crazier than what Hong Kong did, which was turn an entire island into a new airport. It just needs ambition.

This "Oh, we can't do that" attitude is very depressing, and unBritish, and BoJo is a great antidote to that.

However, in this case I think the obvious choice IS to extend and expand Heathrow. It's in the best location possible (apart from maybe Luton) for the rest of the UK. It is sad for those around the airport, but then, LHR has been there decades, and would the locals want it actually closed, and all those jobs to go? No.

Expand Heathrow. Enuff.

Hong Kong's new airport worked well. Though flying into the old airport in Hong Kong was always a memorable experience, I'm kind of glad that was gone before 9/11.

Expanding Heathrow is a decent option. But we should be expanding it to 4 runways not 3. And if we're not going to go to 4 runways then lets get on with building a 4 runway airport elsewhere.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,774
    kle4 said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

And Denmark to Germany. So why can't Britain have one to Ireland and France?
    Last time I looked Denmark and Germany shared a land border.
    What does that have to do with their also being a bridge between the two that is not sharing a land border?

I cannot imagine a bridge to France or Ireland would be feasible - even if one could be built, and I am sure it can be managed, the cost would I presume be exorbitant in these times - but even nations sharing a land border can have bridges between them apparently.
    Where is that bridge?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    AndyJS said:

AfD just 10% behind Merkel in new poll:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    2h2 hours ago

Germany, Emnid poll:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 27% (-1)
    AfD-EFDD: 17% (+1)
    SPD-S&D: 16% (-1)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 15% (+1)
    LINKE-LEFT: 11%
    FDP-ALDE: 10% (+1)"

Germany is becoming like the Netherlands, where there are a bunch of parties in the 10-25% range, and you need six months of negotiation to get a government together.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

I think you'd need two bridges, as just one connecting us to both Ireland and France would have to be absolutely huge.
    LOL!
  • Options
    Floater said:

SeanT said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

That bridge gives me panic attacks just to look at it. I would never use it. It just scares me too much. Even if it is visually stunning.
    The Milau bridge is fine to drive over.
    Not if you have panic attacks on most bridges other than very short ones. They can really freak me out!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

I dunno. I can see the many many flaws of Boris. He's a deeply unsatisfactory candidate for PM.

And yet.... the nation feels like it is in a malaise. Sickening, without actually dying. Lacking leadership and devoid of oomph. Full of potential yet sunk in mild depression, eating Budgens popcorn, drinking Lidl lager, and watching comfort TV on a 2nd hand IKEA sofa.

Maybe we need someone slightly nuts and charismatic and funny and clownish (like Boris) to get us out of this sad and persistent gloom. Corbyn also has a kind of glow, but he is just off-the-dial crazy economically and a traitor in foreign policy. Labour do not have anyone else.

Boris it is? Half his ideas will be calamitous, but then, Churchill first proposed Gallipoli
    And was booted out. Then came good a couple of decades later.
    I’m happy for Boris to emulate that (so long as he’s willing to forgo the Chancellor of the Exchequer interlude).

• Options
    edited September 2018
    With Boris I do appreciate that a lot of people correctly say the Tories need to come up with ideas, and he does indeed come up with some...but a lot of his seem either silly, or very long term vague goal type of ideas which may or may not be good ideas, but are not much of a blueprint for even a loose political ideology. Perhaps I am being unfair, but even more than most my first thought is he's probably read something on idea X in the last day and suddenty thinks it is a good idea.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

What does that have to do with their also being a bridge between the two that is not sharing a land border?

I cannot imagine a bridge to France or Ireland would be feasible - even if one could be built, and I am sure it can be managed, the cost would I presume be exorbitant in these times - but even nations sharing a land border can have bridges between them apparently.
    Where is that bridge?
    Where is which bridge?

Any time there's bodies of water between two locations for which there's a desire to traverse over the way a bridge can make sense. Even if there's a land crossing elsewhere.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2018
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    2h2 hours ago

Germany, Emnid poll:

Germany is becoming like the Netherlands, where there are a bunch of parties in the 10-25% range, and you need six months of negotiation to get a government together.
    That's true. Merkel may have been able to avoid this by standing down soon after the last election. Why she's seemingly attempting to copy Mrs Thatcher in trying to hang onto power to the bitter end is a mystery IMO.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

That's exactly the kind of thing the French do so well. (When combined with British architects.)
    Yes, they still have that elan, from time to time.

On the other hand, London has beaten Paris to a pulp in terms of new developments - for the last 20 years. It will be interesting to see how Brexit effects this - or not.
    I was in Canary Wharf on Thursday night. Been a while since I had been over there - astonishing how it is maturing now, with so much housing being built and a proper night-time culture developing (even the greenery is maturing nicely).
  • Options
    edited September 2018

kle4 said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

Where is that bridge?
    I don't know if there is one and I didn't say there was one either - I was pointing out that nations sharing a land border aren't prevented from having a bridge between them as well, as your comment suggested you think it an idiotic idea in itself. Since Denmark has many islands I don't see why it would be automatically absurd that it might have a bridge between a part of Denmark and a part of Germany even if there is not one right now. I imagine there are other nations where geography might make such an arrangement reasonable in theory even if not done in practice.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

Where is that bridge?
    Where is which bridge?

Any time there's bodies of water between two locations for which there's a desire to traverse over the way a bridge can make sense. Even if there's a land crossing elsewhere.
    Yeah, I get that - I am just trying to find the bridge between Denmark and Germany that you mentioned earlier (your post at 11:12)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

I think you'd need two bridges, as just one connecting us to both Ireland and France would have to be absolutely huge.
    You need to be creative - cede one of the islands between Britain and Ireland to France, then use it as the connector between the two. Problem solved.

Now just to choose which Island...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

Where is that bridge?
    I don't know if there is one and I didn't say there was one either - I was pointing out that nations sharing a land border aren't prevented from having a bridge between them as well, as your comment suggested you think it an idiotic idea in itself. Since Denmark has many islands I don't see why it would be automatically absurd that it might have a bridge between a part of Denmark and a part of Germany even if there is not one right now. I imagine there are other nations where geography might make such an arrangement reasonable in theory even if not done in practice.
    Fair point. I was just confused as I was not aware of a bridge between Denmark and Germany, though I see one is proposed...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fehmarn_Belt_Fixed_Link
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

kle4 said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

Where is that bridge?
    Where is which bridge?

Yeah, I get that - I am just trying to find the bridge between Denmark and Germany that you mentioned earlier (your post at 11:12)
    I’m guessing they mean the bridge from Denmark to Sweden?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited September 2018
    If Elon Musk was running the country we would have bridges and tunnels to Ireland....when asked how hard it would be...

• Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

Where is that bridge?
    Fair point. I was just confused as I was not aware of a bridge between Denmark and Germany, though I see one is proposed...

The Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link was tentatively expected to be completed in the year 2018,[3] but in 2012 the completion date was estimated to be 2021, in 2014 further pushed to 2024,[4] and in 2015 – to 2028

So much for nordic efficiency!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

I dunno. I can see the many many flaws of Boris. He's a deeply unsatisfactory candidate for PM.

And yet.... the nation feels like it is in a malaise. Sickening, without actually dying. Lacking leadership and devoid of oomph. Full of potential yet sunk in mild depression, eating Budgens popcorn, drinking Lidl lager, and watching comfort TV on a 2nd hand IKEA sofa.

Maybe we need someone slightly nuts and charismatic and funny and clownish (like Boris) to get us out of this sad and persistent gloom. Corbyn also has a kind of glow, but he is just off-the-dial crazy economically and a traitor in foreign policy. Labour do not have anyone else.

Boris it is? Half his ideas will be calamitous, but then, Churchill first proposed Gallipoli
    I’m happy for Boris to emulate that (so long as he’s willing to forgo the Chancellor of the Exchequer interlude).

I think the Tories will realise that only Boris can beat Corbyn.

• Options

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

That’s not saying much. Even May beat Corbyn. :smiley:
  • Options

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

Corbyn is eminently beatable, and who other options are as backbenchers or Ministers does not necessarily speak as to how they might do when acting as PM (in fairness this also applies to Boris). I don't think it can be assumed Boris is the only possible option.

Good night all.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

Where is that bridge?

The Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link was tentatively expected to be completed in the year 2018,[3] but in 2012 the completion date was estimated to be 2021, in 2014 further pushed to 2024,[4] and in 2015 – to 2028

So much for nordic efficiency!
    Indeed. Any project that slips 4 years in one year is not heading for a happy conclusion.

And on a similar note, I see tomorrow has already arrived - time for bed. Night all!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Party conference season actually feels a bit boring this year. I can’t even remember anything from the LD conference.

Well there was that talk about electing leaders who were not MPs and opening it up to pretty much anybody, but apparently the convoluted processes are such it was never something that could be approved this time around in any case. I think.

But it has been pretty dull so far.
    I don’t expect any fireworks at Tory conference either, tbh.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

That’s not saying much. Even May beat Corbyn. :smiley:
    Good point!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    2h2 hours ago

Germany, Emnid poll:

That's true. Merkel may have been able to avoid this by standing down soon after the last election. Why she's seemingly attempting to copy Mrs Thatcher in trying to hang onto power to the bitter end is a mystery IMO.
    I think she wants redemption for her terrible, terrible error on the Syrian refugee crisis. She wants to be seen as correct, morally, and she wants Germany to return to contented torpor, with all that nastiness forgotten.

She won't get it. She's finished, and just spinning out the days.
    My guess she thinks that apres moi le deluge.

She may be right.

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Nigelb said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

Isn’t £2.5 billion about four days worth of deficit left in 2010?
  • Options
    Time for bed, said Zebedee.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Time for bed, said Zebedee.

See you tomorrow.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

If Elon Musk was running the country we would have bridges and tunnels to Ireland....when asked how hard it would be...

I think the SEC penalty is OK actually - the cash, $40 mill isn't so much and he's still the CEO.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think the SEC penalty is OK actually - the cash, $40 mill isn't so much and he's still the CEO.
    He is banned from being chairman for 3 years. As somebody said on an earlier thread, it is like the tv show Billions.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Pulpstar said:

He is banned from being chairman for 3 years. As somebody said on an earlier thread, it is like the tv show Billions.
    He still has 20% of the stock and is CEO though. I hold no position, but I'd buy the stock right now at current value if I could, think it'll soar monday.
  • Options
    Elizabeth Warren is running[*] :
    https://twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/1046182608734810112

* Doesn't strictly say that but pretty much
  • Options

kle4 said:

Party conference season actually feels a bit boring this year. I can’t even remember anything from the LD conference.

Well there was that talk about electing leaders who were not MPs and opening it up to pretty much anybody, but apparently the convoluted processes are such it was never something that could be approved this time around in any case. I think.

But it has been pretty dull so far.
    I don’t expect any fireworks at Tory conference either, tbh.
    No fireworks in the Brexit debate? There will be a Brexit debate, won't there?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    A marginals poll (across 60 seats) now published:

Our voting intention figures, with changes from the combined results in these seats at the last election, were LAB 42 (-2) CON 40 (-6) LD 10 (+3) UKIP 5 (+3) GRN 2 (+1). Labour’s lead increases to 22 points among private renters.

www.ncpolitics.uk/2018/09/marginals-voters-are-gloomiest-on-housing.html/

• Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Well they are

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Well they are looking into it now. And the FBI could have started that work - maintaining anonymity - if it had not been sat on by Dems....

Your saying Feinstein should have ignored Dr Ford’s request not to release her story ?

A hard decision to make. But if it was the only thing that would prevent such a person from taking up such an extremely powerful office which will have influence for many decades, perhaps there is a case that the answer is yes, despite the personal cost?
    And an extremely easy decision to extend the confirmation process.
    The haste is hard to defend, even if there are also potential political upsides for some in delay. It's not like the process needs to be quick, it would seem.
    The political reality is, if the vote is postponed until after the midterms and the Dems manage to gain control of the Senate, Kavanaugh's appointment will never be confirmed. I have no idea whether the accusations are true (in truth none of us do as there is not enough evidence in either direction) but the fact remains that by introducing this evidence at the last minute, Feinstein has made this about politics rather than about representing the best interests of Dr Ford. I don't buy your suggestion that Feinstein was somehow being honorable in delaying release of this information - it was a nakedly political decision, and if Dr Ford is indeed the victim that her testimony suggests, one that has weakened her case considerably.

I agree that the correct course of action is to investigate thoroughly, but if it is the case that the charge is a a trumped up - no pun intended - one for political reasons (I'm not saying it is - we don't know - but this possibility exists as does the possbility that Kavanaugh was a serial sex offender in his youth) then by allowing an investigation to drag beyond the midterms, such potential political skulduggery is legitimised and will be used again.

This is a horrid affair that reflects badly on all, and Republicans can have no complaints having used underhand tricks in the past. But the wholly unhelpful role of Feinstein should not be ignored. This could have been handled in an organised manner months ago.

And the fact that whether one believes Kavanaugh/Ford or not can be accurately predicted along party lines is a very sad indictment indeed.
  • Options
    On topic, @rcs1000 2020
  • Options
    OTOH Boris may cancel the bridge to Ireland, like he cancelled the proposed Thames Gateway Bridge in east London back in 2008...
  • Options
    notme said:

Nigelb said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

It's a month's worth of Tory Brexit losses.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/29/britain-bill-brexit-hits-500-million-pounds-a-week
  • Options

notme said:

Nigelb said:

Bridge to Ireland

Boris is crackers

It's a month's worth of Tory Brexit losses.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/29/britain-bill-brexit-hits-500-million-pounds-a-week
    Does anyone seriously believe economic projections anymore? :p
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

the nation feels like it is in a malaise. Sickening, without actually dying.

It's called Brexit
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

It's called Brexit
    It's not just Brexit, it's a lack of someone with the style and audacity to tell the people who voted for Brexit that they're not going to get what the various impossible and contradictory things that they're expecting to get.

I think SeanT is on to something, Boris could be the guy to do it.
  • Options

OTOH Boris may cancel the bridge to Ireland, like he cancelled the proposed Thames Gateway Bridge in east London back in 2008...

And don't forget the tens of millions he pi**ed away on his vain Garden Bridge. The report for that shows that Boris should be placed nowhere near other peoples' money. And he could not even be bothered to cooperate with the inquiry.

As for an Ireland bridge, there are (ahem) difficulties. The shortest sea gap - between Stranraer and Belfast - goes through very deep water (Beaufort's Dyke), where more than a million tonnes of ammunition were dumped after the war. It also ends in Stranraer - convenient for the Scottish Central Belt, but not for England and the continent.

A southern route - say Dublin to Holyhead - is much longer but better placed for links to the English Midlands, Northwest and the continent - but that would connect us with Eire, who as they're in the EU are now the enemy. Having the connection to Eire might also p*ss off our Northern Irish brethren ...

TL;DR: never, ever, buy a bridge from Boris.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    They could call Boris' Irish bridge The Giant C***'s Causeway.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

It's called Brexit
    It's not just Brexit, it's a lack of someone with the style and audacity to tell the people who voted for Brexit that they're not going to get what the various impossible and contradictory things that they're expecting to get.

I think SeanT is on to something, Boris could be the guy to do it.
    Telling is one thing; getting away with it quite another.

I can’t really be convinced that Johnson is the man to deliver hard truths. Not exactly his area of expertise.

• Options

And don't forget the tens of millions he pi**ed away on his vain Garden Bridge. The report for that shows that Boris should be placed nowhere near other peoples' money. And he could not even be bothered to cooperate with the inquiry.

As for an Ireland bridge, there are (ahem) difficulties. The shortest sea gap - between Stranraer and Belfast - goes through very deep water (Beaufort's Dyke), where more than a million tonnes of ammunition were dumped after the war. It also ends in Stranraer - convenient for the Scottish Central Belt, but not for England and the continent.

A southern route - say Dublin to Holyhead - is much longer but better placed for links to the English Midlands, Northwest and the continent - but that would connect us with Eire, who as they're in the EU are now the enemy. Having the connection to Eire might also p*ss off our Northern Irish brethren ...

TL;DR: never, ever, buy a bridge from Boris.
    The Scottish bridge is technically feasible, though. I’ve seen estimates around £20bn (so assuming the normal cost overruns, call it £25/30 bn).
    What would the economic return on connecting NI to Scotland be, though ? If it were great enough, no reason why the Scottish government couldn’t finance and do it themselves. Could call it the Darien Bridge, perhaps....

We briefly discussed new bridge technology recently - would a 3.5km span ever be possible ? that would solve the Dyke problem.

This discussion has been closed.