Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With or without EU, will anybody follow Le Royaume-Uni’s lead?

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

kle4 said:

If it requires the backstop how does the Cabinet roll back from May's rejection of that position? Obviously someone, probably us, will have to decide some red lines are not as red as they appeared, but that one seems hard to fudge given arguments to date.
    It requires a lot of fudge to be kicked into the long long grass.

Sort of a 'temporary permanent solution' or perhaps a 'permanent temporary solution'

Great Britain really doesn't give a crap about Northern Ireland unless they start bombing the mainland.
    Which means it should be easier to fudge, but everyone has identified it as an issue and the DUP need to be happy with whatever comes up, and we know how stubborn NI MPs can be.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If it requires the backstop how does the Cabinet roll back from May's rejection of that position? Obviously someone, probably us, will have to decide some red lines are not as red as they appeared, but that one seems hard to fudge given arguments to date.
    May said, "I will not overturn the result of the referendum. Nor will I break up my country."

Perhaps a people's vote between those choices so it's not her decision?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,691

Andrew Adonis having another break down now Len McCluskey agrees a second referendum could take place but remain will not be an option

Just wonderful

When they reach the point of arguing the wording of the question, then supporting the #peoplesvote is pretty universal.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Prime Minister in waiting Jeremy Hunt
    Is that his official title now? Sajid Javid would probably beg to differ.
    Whilst Jeremy Hunt remains my biggest winner in the next PM market (and my biggest ever winner in any bet) he will be the PM in waiting.
    If this is indeed Hunt's position I can only assume TM has been persuaded by the arguments. I cannot see Hunt saying anything that TM does not agree to
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    kle4 said:

And with Boris and his escalating rhetoric I am having flashbacks to when Carswell defected - the further you escalate in your description of how bad things were and how obviously bad they were as well, the more I just question why they didn't act a lot sooner and presume they either didn't think it was so bad and are exaggerating now, or are claiming they were a fool and didn't notice it was so bad.

I think Boris doesn't actually care about the EU much, he would take the opposite position if he thought it had better prospects for his political career. Funny guy, quite clever, but someone we want leading the country? I don't think so.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

Or, we leave with no deal and tough it out until it’s clear to the EU that we’re not coming back.

They have no incentive to agree anything with us until they recognise that we’re gone for good.
    Yes, I should have added 'if there is to be a deal' somewhere in my paragraph. I still think intentionally doing that is unlikely, as so many are very very desperate to avoid it, though I think it happening is counter intuitively most likely simply because we won't be able to make a deal even though we will try. Indeed, we already have tried.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andrew Adonis having another break down now Len McCluskey agrees a second referendum could take place but remain will not be an option

Just wonderful

When they reach the point of arguing the wording of the question, then supporting the #peoplesvote is pretty universal.
    The meeting to decide what the text of the motion should be has been dragging on for hours.
    https://twitter.com/JoeWatts_/status/1043973925338853376
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Somebody earlier was pointing out it was young vs old at the Remain today vs Leave last week...A lot of young people seem to be suffering male pattern baldness very early these days.

https://twitter.com/Luke_Sills/status/1043871165805146113

Not sure they are much different both in number and age to the leave meeting in Bolton
    What has 100 legs and no teeth? Front row of a Remain march.....
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Just that minor detail of a customs border in the Irish Sea.
    Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.

I don’t see Brussels forcing Irish border infrastructure.

The solution has always been a longer transition to exit the customs union....
    Yes, the Leavers will metamorphose into Blind Brexit, so as to not lose their Precious.

https://youtu.be/Iz-8CSa9xj8
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited September 2018

Foxy said:

Just wonderful

The meeting to decide what the text of the motion should be has been dragging on for hours.
    #FinalSay? Give me a break.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Foxy said:

Just wonderful

Apart from the party in government....

The clinging on to this pathetic dream of a second referendum is really getting desparate now...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

Somebody earlier was pointing out it was young vs old at the Remain today vs Leave last week...A lot of young people seem to be suffering male pattern baldness very early these days.

https://twitter.com/Luke_Sills/status/1043871165805146113

Not sure they are much different both in number and age to the leave meeting in Bolton
    What has 100 legs and no teeth? Front row of a Remain march.....
    Reminded me of a Take That joke for some reason.
  • Options
    Anyone else watch the final Bodyguard episode?

Lots of questions running round my head
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Just wonderful

Yeah that's bollocks, if two votes are okay, so are three and so on.
  • Options

kle4 said:

May said, "I will not overturn the result of the referendum. Nor will I break up my country."

Perhaps a people's vote between those choices so it's not her decision?
    Hard to see how we make a deal with the EU on the basis of NI breaking up, then have a referendum on breaking them up, which might not then succeed (although frankly if it got to that point I think it would), and it would have to be in that order since they surely would not agree to delay until we agree some sort of path forward to resolution. The EU couldn't accept a deal predicated on something even more uncertain than the idea May can get something through parliament.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

We must ditch Chequers or be condemned to a crazed Corbynista takeover

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/09/23/boris-johnson-must-ditch-chequers-condemned-crazed-corbynista/

1) Some of us did warn Brexit might lead to this

2) How many times can Boris write an article saying Chequers is bad, I'm awesome?

Maybe Boris should dust down the "Remain article" that he wrote before he jumped the wrong way in 2016?

It amuses me that Johnson and his Brexiteer friends may well have started a process that leads to an extreme left wing government that due to Brexit has all the stabilises removed. One good thing about being in the EU is the relative stability of economic policy and of course trade.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Just wonderful

Would accept the referendum if it was conducted AV?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Just wonderful

If it is because they want 'final say' I can see why they are struggling with the drafting - it would be a nonsense to demand this one be a final say when the last one was, in this event, not allowed to be final.

I presume the real struggle is wording it so that it does not seem that Labour are overly favouring a particular option, and emphasising that Labour taking over negotiations (somehow) to get a better deal would be preferred and this is more of a backstop, as it were?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    murali_s said:

Jeremy Corbyn tonight warned the rich that they are on 'borrowed time' because a Labour Government is coming.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6199187/Jeremy-Corbyn-warns-rich-borrowed-time-Labour-government-coming.html

Change Massive Tax Rises...Are Coming...

Is that a bad thing? The rich and powerful have got away with murder with the rest of us suffer. Take FTSE 100 companies for example - incompetent and poorly performing CEOs get huge pay increases while the rest get derisory pay awards.

Change is coming - suck it up my friend!
    The change coming is that the people who pay for the NHS are going to magic their money out of this country the day befor Corbyn takes power.

Why does Corbyn hate the NHS so much?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Just wonderful

Apart from the party in government....

The clinging on to this pathetic dream of a second referendum is really getting desparate now...
    Personally, I think a #peoplesvote is not likely, but it is proving to be a useful focal point for the campaign.

I reckon Blind Brexit is the likely outcome, because of the timescale. At that point the #peoplesvote campaign will be to stay in the EEA as a stepping stone to Rejoin.

We have years of this to go.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited September 2018

kle4 said:

It requires a lot of fudge to be kicked into the long long grass.

Sort of a 'temporary permanent solution' or perhaps a 'permanent temporary solution'

Great Britain really doesn't give a crap about Northern Ireland unless they start bombing the mainland.
    Disagree. People will give a deep crap if it’s framed as “hostile foreign power wants slice of your country as price of leaving “voluntary” club” after a democratic vote to do so.

My Remainer other half and rock solid Labour Remainer friend were unprintable last night in a spontaneous outburst at the EU following Salzburg. “Taking the piss”, and “making life deliberately difficult “ we’re at the mild end of the spectrum.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

Or, we leave with no deal and tough it out until it’s clear to the EU that we’re not coming back.

They have no incentive to agree anything with us until they recognise that we’re gone for good.
    The only way in which the EU will offer anything to the UK is if it benefits the EU. People like you don't seem to understand that once your out of the club it is unlikely a third country will receive any special favours.
  • Options

2) How many times can Boris write an article saying Chequers is bad, I'm awesome?

One a week until the Telegraph get fed up with him publishing them on his Facebook page to get round their paywall.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2018

I usually get round to watching the latest TV dramas about 25 years after they're first shown. For example, last year I watched the original Twin Peaks series and a couple of weeks ago I watched the British version of House Of Cards for the first time.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,828

RobD said:

Foxy said:

Just wonderful

That's an interesting point. Mayhap we can expect a thread on it?... :)
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    edited September 2018
    In other Labour news:
    https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1043968914659700738
    How to drive businesses out of the UK...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I usually get round to watching the latest TV dramas about 25 years after they're first shown. For example, last year I watched the original Twin Peaks series and a couple of weeks ago I watched the British version of House Of Cards for the first time.
    Hope you enjoyed House of Cards - it has dated a bit, but Richardson was sublime as FU
  • Options

We must ditch Chequers or be condemned to a crazed Corbynista takeover

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/09/23/boris-johnson-must-ditch-chequers-condemned-crazed-corbynista/

1) Some of us did warn Brexit might lead to this

Maybe Boris should dust down the "Remain article" that he wrote before he jumped the wrong way in 2016?

It amuses me that Johnson and his Brexiteer friends may well have started a process that leads to an extreme left wing government that due to Brexit has all the stabilises removed. One good thing about being in the EU is the relative stability of economic policy and of course trade.
    The irritating thing with the Borisites and co is that they don't (openly) recognise that Brexit obviously had costs and risks attached to it. I personally thought it would be both, yet I still underestimated both, but even if plenty of regular people saw no downsides the Borisites should be smart enough, and probably are, to know that it was not about no cost or risk, but that long term that cost and risk would be worth certain gains (though again, I was probably wrong about the gains).
  • Options

McDonnell says he's found the magic money tree and it's in the Cayman Islands...
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Despite the disputes and rhetoric, there is little political or public will in Hungary for leaving the EU.
  • Options

In other Labour news:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1043968001366786048

...leave the EU.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist it. You can hate me now.)
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Jeremy Corbyn tonight warned the rich that they are on 'borrowed time' because a Labour Government is coming.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6199187/Jeremy-Corbyn-warns-rich-borrowed-time-Labour-government-coming.html

The funny thing is, quite a lot of them voted Labour in 2017.
    The rhetoric seems to have changed.

In 2017, Labour played down tax rises, claiming will only be on the super rich etc etc etc, while the Tories were busy scaring the shit out of people that if they lose their mind their home will be taken from them.

Seems now Corbyn and McDonnell are going to be out and proud, higher taxes. It will be interesting to see how all the London folk, with their second homes in Cornwall, will like another £3k a year for starters. The main course is sure to be a hell of a lot more.

Perhaps, they will be fine with that, especially if they think Labour will stop Brexit, we will see.
    At this rate chief wingnut Williamson will be unresigning for his previous council tax doubling calls
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

The only way in which the EU will offer anything to the UK is if it benefits the EU. People like you don't seem to understand that once your out of the club it is unlikely a third country will receive any special favours.
    People like you don't seem to understand that the EU potentially compromising on something in order to get a deal is not doing us a favour depending on what is compromised on and what they get in return, because it is a negotiation and they have openly said they'd prefer a deal as well. Some compromises won't be worth a deal, but a compromise to us to get a deal is not automatically a favour to us either, since it benefits them too.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I think, again, there needs to be some understanding on the Northern Ireland/Ireland position within Brexit. Its been used as a scare tactic and really it doesn't need to be with talk of customs posts and troops hanging around the border.

It doesn't matter if the deal is Chequers, Canada Plus or whatever, not much is going to change on the border as long as there is a free trade element.

Things like the Common Travel Area between the UK & Ireland will continue to exist, the Irish have already discussed this with the EU. . Any customs check arrangement will not occur on the NI/Ireland border and the most visual aspect to the average Joe moving north and south, i.e. checks on people, will simply not exist as they don't exist now.

Why? Because no one on any side of the negotiations could be arsed with that so they won't bother.

Visibility of change, or the lack of it is key.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

Yes, as indeed most of the country I expect but the writer wrapped things up with a few things hanging as he did in Line of Duty
  • Options
    edited September 2018

tlg86 said:

Seems now Corbyn and McDonnell are going to be out and proud, higher taxes.
    Good. People claim to be willing to pay more taxes to get more and better services, and should get a chance to put their money where their mouth is.

Although I suspect regular service of all parties of better services for less taxes/no more taxes/someone else will pay, will resume. It's not as though the public does not reward that sort of thing after all.
  • Options
    The same Hunt who was sucking up so far to May over Chequers he was almost up her nostrils?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The rhetoric seems to have changed.

In 2017, Labour played down tax rises, claiming will only be on the super rich etc etc etc, while the Tories were busy scaring the shit out of people that if they lose their mind their home will be taken from them.

Seems now Corbyn and McDonnell are going to be out and proud, higher taxes. It will be interesting to see how all the London folk, with their second homes in Cornwall, will like another £3k a year for starters. The main course is sure to be a hell of a lot more.

Perhaps, they will be fine with that, especially if they think Labour will stop Brexit, we will see.
    At this rate chief wingnut Williamson will be unresigning for his previous council tax doubling calls
    That's future Labour leader Williamson to you.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

How about this for an exit-poll failure (and a major loss for Putin's party) in the Khabarovsky Krai governor election:

Exit poll:

Vyacheslav Shport (Edinaya Rossiya) - 57%
    Sergey Furgal (LDPR) - 43%

Result:

Sergey Furgal (LDPR) - 69.6%
    Vyacheslav Shport (Edinaya Rossiya) - 27.9%

You go in the polling station and vote aggainst Putin's party, on the way out someone asks you which way you voted... what do you say? Surprised the exit polls weren't futher out tbh.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes, as indeed most of the country I expect but the writer wrapped things up with a few things hanging as he did in Line of Duty
    Up to 4 more series could follow

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7328887/bodyguard-boss-four-more-series/
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Despite the disputes and rhetoric, there is little political or public will in Hungary for leaving the EU.

I'd assume you'd almost have to push someone out, other than the UK, rather than have them jump. Nothing to stop people continually aggravating the EU without actually leaving it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2018

In other Labour news:

I see any easy dodge....foreign based holding company....shutter UK company on a regular basis, open new company, workers left with nothing. Or slightly less harsh, transferring of assets between between UK companies, meaning workers holdings are limited.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The same Hunt who was sucking up so far to May over Chequers he was almost up her nostrils?
    You mean he backed a Cabinet proposal until the facts changed and is now considering other options? Terrifying!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I quite recommend "Back in Time for the Factory" as an interesting piece of working class feminist social history.

It is set in the Welsh Valleys, but reminds me of when I first moved to Leicester and it was full of clothing factories.

• Options
    Sun poll 44% blame the EU for Brexit deadlock, 35% blame May

49% want Brexit to go ahead, half of them want No Deal

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7325286/theresa-may-eu-salzburg-ambush-sun-says/
  • Options

In other Labour news:

I see any easy dodge....foreign based holding company....shutter UK company on a regular basis, open new company, workers left with nothing.
    Indeed - it is an attempt at a populist policy that is unravelling in seconds.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Quite possibly, he certainly knows how to make engaging Sunday night drama
  • Options

No spoilers!
  • Options

In other Labour news:

I see any easy dodge....foreign based holding company....shutter UK company on a regular basis, open new company, workers left with nothing.
    The easy political dodge would involve the Conservatives shooting Labour's fox by introducing German-style workers councils.
  • Options

In other Labour news:

Indeed - it is an attempt at a populist policy that is unravelling in seconds.
    Even if it wasn't easy to avoid, think about what it says to anyone wanting to invest. Once you've established that you are okay with confiscating 10% of a company there's no reason for any business owner to think that's the limit.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    HYUFD said:

Not this time; it all resolved rather too easily and quickly. The building of the story was the most satisfying bit.
  • Options

In other Labour news:

I see any easy dodge....foreign based holding company....shutter UK company on a regular basis, open new company, workers left with nothing. Or slightly less harsh, transferring of assets between between UK companies, meaning workers holdings are limited.
    So you are saying that "taking back control" is a deception in a globalised world?

Strike a light, guvnor. Why weren't we told...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

You mean he backed a Cabinet proposal until the facts changed and is now considering other options? Terrifying!
    He backed a Cabinet proposal which he likely knew had no chance of passing, Davis and Boris can at least say they resigned beforehand as they knew it was not viable
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That was the poll I referred to this morning
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If you have a chance, watch the Alec Guinness BBC Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy. It's aged well (unlike its sequel, Smiley's People)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Not this time; it all resolved rather too easily and quickly. The building of the story was the most satisfying bit.
    Though it can only resolve with all the tension beforehand
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That was the poll I referred to this morning
    49% for Brexit is still quite strong, half of that for No Deal rather less so
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    edited September 2018

It was extremely funny in a can't as a result suspend my disbelief kind of way.

The boys in blue gathered and standing around, and then shooting o abuse at a possible suicide attacker being perhaps the highlight.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

He backed a Cabinet proposal which he likely knew had no chance of passing, Davis and Boris can at least say they resigned beforehand as they knew it was not viable
    You are buying into their spin - they didn't resign beforehand. Or at the least Boris did not. He resigned after he had already agreed to it. His resignation letter acknowledged that, in that it was only afterwards, over the weekend, that he decided after all he couldn't do what he said he'd do at Chequers and back it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2018
    TOPPING said:

The boys in blue gathered and standing around, and then shooting o abuse at a possible suicide attacker being perhaps the highlight.
    I haven't been watching it, but it sounds like another BBC series that starts off well and then ends up total nonsense. That mcmafia one was the same, I want back the 8hrs I wasted watching that back please....although nothing compares to Westworld Season 2, I have a good mind to write to HBO and demand compensation!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

You are buying into their spin - they didn't resign beforehand. Or at the least Boris did not. He resigned after he had already agreed to it. His resignation letter acknowledged that, in that it was only afterwards, over the weekend, that he decided after all he couldn't do what he said he'd do at Chequers and back it.
    He still resigned after thinking it over, though it is fair to say Davis was probably the more principled of the two and is now the likely successor in waiting as a result if May goes and we move to a Canada style deal
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Boris proposed the toast to the PM in congratulation of Chequers. It was only when DD resigned and and Boris saw his role as chief Brexiter - the prize that explains why he chose the Brexit letter in the first place - slipping away, that he realised that self interest required a sudden U-turn. He is the most contemptible of policians.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Interestingly shortly after the referendum according to YouGov even 43% of Scots would be happy with a Canada type deal with the EU, 24% opposed, not too far off the UK as a whole where 50% supported a Canada type deal with 24% opposed.

Scots were strongly opposed to No Deal though with 48% opposed and only 25% in favour, in the UK it was closer, 32% favoured No Deal but 44% still opposed it.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/k5u0h1qgsi/BrexitScenarios_160818.pdf (pages 5-6)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

TOPPING said:

I haven't been watching it, but it sounds like another BBC series that starts off well and then ends up total nonsense. That mcmafia one was the same, I want back the 8hrs I wasted watching that back please....although nothing compares to Westworld Season 2, I have a good mind to write to HBO and demand compensation!
    That's it there is a good idea to begin with but only rarely can people, even the best, carry that through to a consistent and rewarding conclusion.

Recently watched The Night Of which does both those things.
  • Options

RobD said:

Foxy said:

Just wonderful

Would that be the same AV wot was rejected by the UK voters 68% to 32% in 2011?

That AV?
  • Options
    Seems Telegraph and Johnson bigging up the story. Hunt is in the US tomorrow and will not be at cabinet. Rather difficult for him to argue the case
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

He still resigned after thinking it over
    So not what you claimed then.

Given even you acknowledge he was the less principled of the two I am surprised you are so certain that he genuinely resigned because after thinking it through he could not back it after all. I don't discount the possibility, but given what Boris says now about Chequers and how awful and calamitous it would be (or have been), then I think the evidence suggests he is being less than truthful - he might well be right about Chequers, certainly it is dead for a reason, but if it is as bad as he says he cannot expect us to believe it took him a whole weekend to realise it, particularly when David realised it a lot sooner.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That's it there is a good idea to begin with but only rarely can people, even the best, carry that through to a consistent and rewarding conclusion.

Part of the problem is nobody wants to do a one season show. Westworld should have been one season, Taboo as well and I am sure McMafia could have had a much better ending if they didn't have to crowbar a load of plot twists in order to enable the story to continue.
  • Options

Am I the only PBer who hasn't watched a single episode of the Bodyguard?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,632

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Part of the problem is nobody wants to do a one season show. Westworld should have been one season, Taboo as well and I am sure McMafia could have had a much better ending if they didn't have to crowbar a load of plot twists in order to enable the story to continue.
    That is one of the many attraction of Korean drama - most of their shows are one season only.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Imagine King Lear II: The Next Generation...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Westworld as an idea I think could easily support multiple seasons, the problem was the writing was nowhere near as awesome as people thought it was in Season 1, it was a mess, and that was really setting itself up for more difficulties. A triumph of presentation and acting skill though.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Laura Kuenessburg really is incredibly annoying. Just patronising, mostly. Adds very little value.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Nope. I'm like a less extreme version of AndyJS, I usually take a few years before I watch shows, bar one or two favourites. Oddly, not with procedurals though.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Figured it out. British Politics is directed by Jed Mercurio. Now it makes sense.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited September 2018

No, but I intend to. I’m going to have some time off school in October feeling sorry for myself and it sounds like it would make a good distraction.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Crap ending, though. Started well, then faded.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Given even you acknowledge he was the less principled of the two I am surprised you are so certain that he genuinely resigned because after thinking it through he could not back it after all. I don't discount the possibility, but given what Boris says now about Chequers and how awful and calamitous it would be (or have been), then I think the evidence suggests he is being less than truthful - he might well be right about Chequers, certainly it is dead for a reason, but if it is as bad as he says he cannot expect us to believe it took him a whole weekend to realise it, particularly when David realised it a lot sooner.
    I do not know what his thoughts were, I am not Boris but the fact is he resigned over Chequers just as Davis did. The fact Davis resigned first may give him more credibility but they both can say, unlike those who stayed in the Cabinet, they saw it was unworkable at the time it was proposed
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

If you have a chance, watch the Alec Guinness BBC Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy. It's aged well (unlike its sequel, Smiley's People)
    There's a new Le Carre adaptation coming up later this year I believe.

Re Bodyguard, the central part of the final episode did seem unlikely, even allowing for the fact it's TV fiction, but there were some good twists which neither me and Mrs P saw coming at all. Keeley Hawes made the series overall though.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think it faded a bit after Keeley Hawes was killed off
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Is that a magic trick, wherein they place the words 'Labour must support' and 'remain' in close proximity to fool people into thinking they are for remain?

In all seriousness, a fudge is what the party wants here, something that may not be what the continuity remainers want but which allows them to essentially say it might be Labour policy to leave/remain and anything in between if they want, while stressing that a GE to get in power is the priority.

I presume everyone thinks it will pass?
  • Options
    Labour must support all options on the table? What if some of those options are mutually exclusive?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Keeley Hawes was killed off? I'm already less interested in watching it now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I do not know what his thoughts were, I am not Boris but the fact is he resigned over Chequers just as Davis did. The fact Davis resigned first may give him more credibility but they both can say, unlike those who stayed in the Cabinet, they saw it was unworkable at the time it was proposed
    Yes they can say it, but Boris is less believable, as he didn't see it was unworkable, in his own words he agreed it, then reconsidered over the weekend, and yet that is to say he was a fool since he is very clear now how apocalyptic it would have been.

It seems more plausible that Davis really did see it was unworkable. With Boris, his actions at the time and since undermine either his honesty now or his intelligence then.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oops, will shut up before I give any more spoilers then
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    How will Labour know when they have reached the point "can't get an election" and should start "campaigning for a public vote on the terms of Brexit"?

Edit: "can't get an election" needed careful typing :smile:
  • Options
    RobD said:

Labour must support all options on the table? What if some of those options are mutually exclusive?
    Not support all options on the table, support all options remaining on the table. The best kind of support, since potentially wavering supporters can tell themselves Labour might back any option, including their preferred option.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oops, will shut up before I give any more spoilers then
    I was just kidding - that much I picked up just from random news headlines and magazine covers.
  • Options

No, I havebeen watching Vanity Fair, and very good it is too.
  • Options

How about this for an exit-poll failure (and a major loss for Putin's party) in the Khabarovsky Krai governor election:

Exit poll:

Result:

You go in the polling station and vote aggainst Putin's party, on the way out someone asks you which way you voted... what do you say? Surprised the exit polls weren't futher out tbh.
    Is that the Vlad Zhironovsky led Liberal Democratic Party?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Not support all options on the table, support all options remaining on the table. The best kind of support, since potentially wavering supporters can tell themselves Labour might back any option, including their preferred option.
    So they are going to support diamond brexit staying on the table? Good to know :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

It is utterly meaningless

Will satisfy no-one
  • Options

How will Labour know when they have reached the point "can't get an election" and should start "campaigning for a public vote on the terms of Brexit"?
    Perhaps they are confident a deal will be done so the question will not arise? Therefore all that matters is that people remember, incorrectly, that Labour was in favour, unequivocally, of a #let'scallitapeoplesvotebecausewewanttobesupercondescending
  • Options
    houndtang said:

Exit poll:

Result:

Is that the Vlad Zhironovsky led Liberal Democratic Party?
    Blimey, yes... so Putin's the moderate in that contest?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Figured it out. British Politics is directed by Jed Mercurio. Now it makes sense.

It's directed by Lars von Trier and written by Steven Moffat. The special effects are shit and it doesn't make any sense, but some of the characters are legitimately frightening and the fanboys insist there's a master plan...somehow.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

So they are going to support diamond brexit staying on the table? Good to know :D
    Off course. Perhaps just on the edge of the table though, you can hardly notice it.

RobD said:

It is utterly meaningless

Will satisfy no-one
    But does it dissatisfy enough people significantly enough to lose Labour support when a GE does finally happen, whenever that it? I doubt it. After all, Labour totally would have secured a brilliant deal/kept us in the CU/backed a peoples vote to remain, they just never got the chance, for realsies guys. Corbyn4PM, he's so principled and clear in what he wants - certainly not like those obfuscating, cynical establishment politicians.

Edit: Being serious, I presume the important thing for Labour is that, should a motion pass, the headline most non wonks will see, depending on their personal preference, is 'Labour back people's vote', not 'Labour [might] back people's vote' or 'Labour backs GE' not 'Labour refuses people's vote'
  • Options
    Foxy said:

No, I havebeen watching Vanity Fair, and very good it is too.
    You do know you can watch both with today's technology? :wink:

PS agree Vanity Fair is very good too.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HncTXJLGumU

Enjoy.

(PS note the soundtrack trick, with a continuously rising note: last used in "Dunkirk", I think)
This discussion has been closed.