Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay hasn’t had front pages like this since she made the fatef

12346»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Interesting article about Sheffield:

“Uniquely, Sheffield's dividing line runs directly through the city like the Berlin Wall”
    https://www.citymetric.com/business/sheffields-dividing-line-runs-berlin-wall-inequality-two-cities4213

The sudden change on the south side of Sheffield is very striking.
  • Options
    Hmm. Just out of interest, what were the Leave/Remain poll figures just after Cameron announced the date? The numbers have been remarkably steady for a long time. I'm just wondering when the apparent ossification of opinion occurred.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    8m8 minutes ago

UK, YouGov poll:

EU membership ref

Remain: 52% (-1)
    Leave: 48% (+1)

Field work: 28/08/18 – 4/09/18
    Sample size: 10,215"

10,000 sample...is that the same survey the People's Vote was using to make a dubious claim that Labour should back a second vote to win a majority?
    These are the tables - http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/9rte0e589p/People'sVote_180905_LabGains.pdf
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    edited September 2018

Hmm. Just out of interest, what were the Leave/Remain poll figures just after Cameron announced the date? The numbers have been remarkably steady for a long time. I'm just wondering when the apparent ossification of opinion occurred.

This was the first one after the date was announced:

Leave: 51%
    Remain: 49%

A much higher number of "don't knows" though at 20%.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/p3tomelhgo/TimesResults_160223_EUReferendum_Tuesday_Release.pdf
  • Options
    John_M said:

Ishmael_Z said:

John_M said:

Who is going to be the first Brexiter to propose abandoning Northern Ireland?

I always found it strange - we want control of our borders but not in Ireland.

I suggested it several weeks ago, and reiterated that this very day. Why people don't appear enthused by my idea of a referendum for Northern Ireland alone is a mystery to me.
    They broke 55 remain 45 leave in 2016 I believe. Reunifying Ireland does look rather an elegant solution.
    I think tribalism rears its head here - it is the 'Conservative and Unionist' party after all. If you're a card carrying member, you have to support the Union, even if (as I believe) it's well past t'old sell-by date.
    I can't say I've ever seen the description 'Conservative and Unionist Party' on any ballot paper.

Neither, as an example, did the voters of Maidenhead in 2017:

https://www3.rbwm.gov.uk/info/200394/election_results/1271/general_election_results_2017

Anyway wasn't the Unionist bit about Irish Home Rule rather than anything re Ulster, Scotland or anywhere else ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360

John_M said:

Ishmael_Z said:

John_M said:

I suggested it several weeks ago, and reiterated that this very day. Why people don't appear enthused by my idea of a referendum for Northern Ireland alone is a mystery to me.
    They broke 55 remain 45 leave in 2016 I believe. Reunifying Ireland does look rather an elegant solution.
    I think tribalism rears its head here - it is the 'Conservative and Unionist' party after all. If you're a card carrying member, you have to support the Union, even if (as I believe) it's well past t'old sell-by date.
    I can't say I've ever seen the description 'Conservative and Unionist Party' on any ballot paper.

Neither, as an example, did the voters of Maidenhead in 2017:

https://www3.rbwm.gov.uk/info/200394/election_results/1271/general_election_results_2017

Anyway wasn't the Unionist bit about Irish Home Rule rather than anything re Ulster, Scotland or anywhere else ?
    For the last several elections in Scotland we have canvassed on behalf of the conservative and UNIONIST party. It’s worked quite well.
  • Options

This was the first one after the date was announced:

Leave: 51%
    Remain: 49%

A much higher number of "don't knows" though at 20%.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/p3tomelhgo/TimesResults_160223_EUReferendum_Tuesday_Release.pdf
    When you think how many arguments there have been about both of the campaigns to this day that is worth reflecting on.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

John_M said:

A huge drop in living standards in the combined Ireland is hardly "an elegant solution".
    I know GDP is't all that as a statistic, but afaics in 2015 GDP per capita in NI was $28,400, Ireland $67,229. It would take some dunt to make a huge drop in living standards north of the Foyle.
    Consumption per head is I'd say a rather better guide to living standards.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumptionperhead/consumptionperheadintheukisfourthhighestintheeu

Still if you go by GDP per capita then the RoI is half as rich again as Germany.

Does anyone actually believe that ?

I doubt they've ever been to the RoI if they do.
    Ireland is an extreme example of what happens in a rental economy where most of the profits earned belong to people or businesses outside the country. If we don’t stop running a trade deficit we experience the same.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, thanks.

That's quite remarkable.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Big glossy new thread over the virtual page
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,930
    DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

John_M said:

A huge drop in living standards in the combined Ireland is hardly "an elegant solution".
    I know GDP is't all that as a statistic, but afaics in 2015 GDP per capita in NI was $28,400, Ireland $67,229. It would take some dunt to make a huge drop in living standards north of the Foyle.
    Consumption per head is I'd say a rather better guide to living standards.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumptionperhead/consumptionperheadintheukisfourthhighestintheeu

Still if you go by GDP per capita then the RoI is half as rich again as Germany.

Does anyone actually believe that ?

I doubt they've ever been to the RoI if they do.
    Ireland is an extreme example of what happens in a rental economy where most of the profits earned belong to people or businesses outside the country. If we don’t stop running a trade deficit we experience the same.
    Yes, Ireland’s GDP per capita is utterly meaningless as a comparitor of living standards.
    It’s up 9% year on year, and over 30% since 2012. Huge distortions caused by companies like Apple, Google and Facebook booking the vast majority of their entire European software and advertising sales in Ireland.
    https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/gdp
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,107

HYUFD said:

On R4 Any Questions Shadow Foreign Secretary Emily Thornberry, Tory MP George Freeman and Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph columnist Simon Heffer all agree Chequers is dead.

They only disagree on the destination, Thornberry wants to stay in the Customs Union, Freeman wants to join EFTA and Heffer wants a FTA with the EU

A few ifs here. But.

If there’s a Labour conference vote on second referendum, with unions and momentum delegates backing second referendum, it will be carried. Anything less than 60 40 would be a surprise.

If Labours policy firms up in a call for a second ref, if say there’s no agreement by end of October, then that’s bad news for May and the brexiteers. Bad for Brexiteers Because such a vote can easily be held before end of March, could result in comfortable remain win, and both EU and UK won’t need anytime to pause exit. Bad for May because her head would be decomposing on a pike, Javid or Hunt PM.

So there’s at least one moment in this Labour conference important to British politics. :)
    Unless there is No Deal I would not be certain at all Remain would win even if there was a second referendum. Most voters still would prefer a Norway or Canada option in a forced choice against Remain. Plus Davis is now the likely heir apparent, not Hunt and not Javid
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited September 2018
    HYUFD said:

Plus Davis is now the likely heir apparent, not Hunt and not Javid

What do you have for these LEAVE, lazy, seat of the pants, 'it'll be alright on the night' serial adulterers*?

*Progress, I suppose
This discussion has been closed.