Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If you think Beto O’Rourke is going to win Texas in November t

13»

Comments

• Options
    Labour party conference will vote for reselection, says Chris Williamson

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/15/labour-conference-will-vote-to-reselect-all-mps-chris-williamson-deselection-easier

I remember when everybody was saying it wasn't true, it was just scaremongering.
  • Options

Takes real strength to talk so openly about those sorts of challenges. Good on her for being open and honest. We absolutely need to smash the taboos surrounding mental health.
    Yes agreed.

This article does though surely completely rule her out as a potential Tory leader, both by her own volition and also in the minds of MPs and members who elect the leader.

Who then is the next great Tory hope? (Assuming TSE is otherwise engaged :wink:)
    Sajid Javid surely has to be in pole position.
    Depends - if the Tory party membership at large is as socially progressive as PB Tories seem to be, then yes, Sajid is a strong possibility. But I think many shire Tories still harbour regressive cultural views (often subconsciously) which make it harder for Sajid to win.
    I am not sure who else there is. Bonking Boris, no, Spreadsheet Phil, no, Michael "Start an argument in an empty lift" Gove, JRM, gotta be kidding...who is left?
    The next tory leader is probably a tier 2 minister right now, someone from the 2010 intake who supported leave. No one who supported remain 2016 will get past the membership

Mordaunt @ 33 is screaming value; if she makes the last two the members will go for her in droves, also ticks the military background a certain type of tory likes.
    Javid can play both sides. I believe he had already said he only supported Remain because Cameron asked him to and he is a loyal minister, and even then he was extremely lukewarm in doing so.
  • Options

Thirteen years sounds really tough - I feel for you. I haven't personally had such problems but like most people I have close friends and family members who in various ways have done so, and it's really difficult.

Thanks

It is an ongoing struggle with no end in sight. For me, it feels chronic now - something to be managed not cured.

• Options

Takes real strength to talk so openly about those sorts of challenges. Good on her for being open and honest. We absolutely need to smash the taboos surrounding mental health.
    Yes agreed.

This article does though surely completely rule her out as a potential Tory leader, both by her own volition and also in the minds of MPs and members who elect the leader.

Who then is the next great Tory hope? (Assuming TSE is otherwise engaged :wink:)
    Depends - if the Tory party membership at large is as socially progressive as PB Tories seem to be, then yes, Sajid is a strong possibility. But I think many shire Tories still harbour regressive cultural views (often subconsciously) which make it harder for Sajid to win.
    He has an extra vote as my good lady joined the party for the first time yesterday at 79 to do her bit to negate one kipper vote, one Boris vote and one Corbyn vote
    As I said Big_G, PB Tories are generally an open-minded (if misguided) bunch :wink:
    Shame about the misguided even with a wink Ben

She has had a personal e mail from Theresa today
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I understand that in the ROI it's virtually impossible to get prescribed antidepressants without physical evidence of a suicide attempt which is horrifying if true.

Is that thru legislation or thru convention? Is it a case of doctors can't or won't?

[edit: remove greengrocer's apostrophe]

No idea, it's something I heard from a depressed Irishwoman on the internet.
  • Options

Yes agreed.

I am not sure who else there is. Bonking Boris, no, Spreadsheet Phil, no, Michael "Start an argument in an empty lift" Gove, JRM, gotta be kidding...who is left?
    Which was my point entriely several posts back ("Who then is the next great Tory hope?")

How about Amber Rudd as a long shot? Stood in well for TMay in leadership debates and took a bullet for her over Windrush. She needs a safer constituency (shouldn't be hard to arrange at the next GE). If, as I suspect, Theresa is still PM going into the next election, I hazard a guess she will re-elevate Rudd to the cabinet in 2020-21.
    I wouldn't rule out Amber Rudd, and I think you are right that she'll be re-elevated to the cabinet eventually, but she's only really a possibility if the contest is some way off.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

Yes agreed.

Which was my point entriely several posts back ("Who then is the next great Tory hope?")

How about Amber Rudd as a long shot? Stood in well for TMay in leadership debates and took a bullet for her over Windrush. She needs a safer constituency (shouldn't be hard to arrange at the next GE). If, as I suspect, Theresa is still PM going into the next election, I hazard a guess she will re-elevate Rudd to the cabinet in 2020-21.
    I highly doubt May will make 2021. The Tories are too ruthless. They are waiting for her to totally own whatever Brexit becomes and then they will do her in.
    Nah. May is not toxic in the way that previous ditched Tory leaders had each become. I suspect Tory MPs will remember their nursery poems...

...And always keep a-hold of Nurse
    For fear of finding something worse
  • Options

Labour party conference will vote for reselection, says Chris Williamson

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/15/labour-conference-will-vote-to-reselect-all-mps-chris-williamson-deselection-easier

I remember when everybody was saying it wasn't true, it was just scaremongering.

If that is the same article I read the comment section is civil war expressed in no uncertain terms
  • Options

Thirteen years sounds really tough - I feel for you. I haven't personally had such problems but like most people I have close friends and family members who in various ways have done so, and it's really difficult.

Thanks

It is an ongoing struggle with no end in sight. For me, it feels chronic now - something to be managed not cured.

It is widespread in part of my family and it seems maintaining medication and being as positive as possible does help but does not prevent occasional episodes. I wish you all the very best and complete understanding
  • Options

Yes agreed.

He has an extra vote as my good lady joined the party for the first time yesterday at 79 to do her bit to negate one kipper vote, one Boris vote and one Corbyn vote
    As I said Big_G, PB Tories are generally an open-minded (if misguided) bunch :wink:

Blimey! The Tories must be concerned about membership numbers if Theresa emails every new member personally - hope she sifts out Kipper insurgents! How funny it would be if Banks or Farage got an email from her. :lol:
  • Options

Yes agreed.

Blimey! The Tories must be concerned about membership numbers if Theresa emails every new member personally - hope she sifts out Kipper insurgents! How funny it would be if Banks or Farage got an email from her. :lol:
    Well they don't have many members these days, so it is pretty easy to personally email people when your membership isn't much larger than your extended family.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Will Gompertz reviews Scotland's first design museum, V&A Dundee ★★★★★"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45524485
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,817
    Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I understand that in the ROI it's virtually impossible to get prescribed antidepressants without physical evidence of a suicide attempt which is horrifying if true.

Is that thru legislation or thru convention? Is it a case of doctors can't or won't?

It's...troubling. I've argued before we should understand Ireland better, instead of considering it Dorset-with-a-different-accent. But cultural quirks like this throw me: it's not just the angelus and Eir Sport, there's always something slightly different to what you expect.
  • Options

Yes agreed.

Automated on acceptance I would expect. However, the number of e mails I receive from Theresa, Brendon Lewis, Ministers, the Welsh conservative party and the local consituency is impressive. They have upped their game
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,342
    Ishmael_Z said:

I was very, very lucky to be prescribed amitriptyline when first diagnosed in 1990 by a very old fashioned gp (lucky in that almost everybody was prescribing Prozac in those days, and Prozac and any other ssris do absolutely bugger all for me whereas amitriptyline works like turning a switch).

Sympathies to OxfordSimon about the 13 years - that's truly awful.

On your point, I have a friend who was pursuing a good career on a moderate dose of antidepressants. She still had some issues so consulted her GP, who persuaded her to come off them and take Prozac. She started to feel much worse but he persuaded her to carry on for another 3 months, at the end of which she was entirely unable to function and lost her job. He finally conceded that it wasn't working for her, and put her back on antidepressants, and she partially recovered but 15 years later has never really found a way back into normal life. He was later struck off for unrelated reasons.
  • Options

Thanks

It is widespread in part of my family and it seems maintaining medication and being as positive as possible does help but does not prevent occasional episodes. I wish you all the very best and complete understanding
    Thanks

I find the spoons analogy helpful - I have a certain number of spoons of energy/strength to expend on any given day. If I exceed a daily amount, I have to spend the following days recouping. But unfortunately I am not able to bank them in advance.

It means that I have to manage my activity in order to achieve what I want to do. And it takes very little to knock me off kilter. Pressure from outside means I shut up shop and achieve even less.

But I am determined to use my experience in a positive way. I have just completed training to be an online crisis counsellor. I am developing a mental health strategy for a major organisation and hoping to train as a Mental Health First Aider in the coming months.

And I am determined not to shut up about mental health!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It's...troubling. I've argued before we should understand Ireland better, instead of considering it Dorset-with-a-different-accent. But cultural quirks like this throw me: it's not just the angelus and Eir Sport, there's always something slightly different to what you expect.
    Dorset-with-a-different-accent?! Cheeky bugger!
  • Options

Thanks

Thanks

I find the spoons analogy helpful - I have a certain number of spoons of energy/strength to expend on any given day. If I exceed a daily amount, I have to spend the following days recouping. But unfortunately I am not able to bank them in advance.

It means that I have to manage my activity in order to achieve what I want to do. And it takes very little to knock me off kilter. Pressure from outside means I shut up shop and achieve even less.

But I am determined to use my experience in a positive way. I have just completed training to be an online crisis counsellor. I am developing a mental health strategy for a major organisation and hoping to train as a Mental Health First Aider in the coming months.

Very interesting and you must keep promoting mental health. Indeed we all should
  • Options

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

OK, I'll bite. Is it bad for Ireland, or Dorset... :)
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

I was very, very lucky to be prescribed amitriptyline when first diagnosed in 1990 by a very old fashioned gp (lucky in that almost everybody was prescribing Prozac in those days, and Prozac and any other ssris do absolutely bugger all for me whereas amitriptyline works like turning a switch).

Sympathies to OxfordSimon about the 13 years - that's truly awful.

On your point, I have a friend who was pursuing a good career on a moderate dose of antidepressants. She still had some issues so consulted her GP, who persuaded her to come off them and take Prozac. She started to feel much worse but he persuaded her to carry on for another 3 months, at the end of which she was entirely unable to function and lost her job. He finally conceded that it wasn't working for her, and put her back on antidepressants, and she partially recovered but 15 years later has never really found a way back into normal life. He was later struck off for unrelated reasons.
    There are so many options when it comes to antidepressants that it takes time to find the right one. And, of course, you can't start a new one until the old one is out of your system. So it takes some weeks to be clear and then more time for the new one to start working - meaning you are going through many weeks without full chemical support.

One of the drugs I took made me sleep 17 hours a day. I stopped it very, very quickly. I would rather be very depressed and awake than slightly less depressed and permanently asleep or dopey.

Research, research, research - it is the only answer - just a very long term one.
  • Options

Thanks

Thanks

The Mental First Aid scheme is brilliant!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679
    viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The Irish do have a lower antidepressant prescription rate than the UK, but it is not radically lower at 5% of adults compared to 7% here. The Scandanavians have the highest rates in Europe, and the USA is on 11% of adults.

While there are different factors in stigmatisation, other factors such as health system make a difference too. Visiting a doctor can be expensive in Ireland.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It's patronising for both! :wink:
  • Options

Thanks

Thanks

I am rather ashamed to say that I had no idea that such a thing existed until a couple of months ago. But every company/organisation that makes sure they have trained first aiders should also have trained MHFAs.

Not just for those of us with a diagnosed mental health condition - but for anyone experiencing stress, a crisis at home or at work, or just having a bad day. Heading off a mental health crisis by good quality early intervention is an investment that is well worth making.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

In my defence, that was the point I was making... :)
  • Options
    For all her inadequacies and mistakes, I find it hard not to have a grudging admiration for Tezza's tenacity, perseverance and commitment to doing what (she thinks) is right.

There, I've said it. Still not gonna be voting for her though!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I don't feel very strongly about it (only being an adopted son of Dorset) but it smacks of the sort of view Londoners have of the world outside the M25.

Of course, you're now going to tell me you live in Norfolk or Cheshire or somesuch :smile:
  • Options

For all her inadequacies and mistakes, I find it hard not to have a grudging admiration for Tezza's tenacity, perseverance and commitment to doing what (she thinks) is right.

If she manages to steer us to a deal and we leave in March she will secure a very good legacy as she passes the batton to her successor
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I don't feel very strongly about it (only being an adopted son of Dorset) but it smacks of the sort of view Londoners have of the world outside the M25.

Of course, you're now going to tell me you live in Norfolk or Cheshire or somesuch :smile:
    Um, my point was that "we should understand Ireland better, instead of considering it Dorset-with-a-different-accent". You seem to be accusing me of adopting the position I was deprecating.
  • Options
    Time to wish everyone a pleasant nights rest

Good night folks
  • Options

twitter.com/cravenmos/status/1041094700416086016?s=21

It is as if his office is stuffed full of commies....
  • Options

Thanks

Thanks

I am rather ashamed to say that I had no idea that such a thing existed until a couple of months ago. But every company/organisation that makes sure they have trained first aiders should also have trained MHFAs.

Not just for those of us with a diagnosed mental health condition - but for anyone experiencing stress, a crisis at home or at work, or just having a bad day. Heading off a mental health crisis by good quality early intervention is an investment that is well worth making.
    Absolutely. In my last year before retirement working for a large retail bank I had the chance to co-sponsor the roll-out of MHFA training across our IT division. It was one of the projects I was most proud of in 38 years service.

It's sobering to reflect on those UK suicide rates per 100,000 when working for an organisation of circa 100,000 employees... And of course many higher numbers of people are affected by stress, depression, addiction, etc.

I suspect and hope that it will soon become de rigeur for organisations to operate a comprehensive mental health support programme.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Um, my point was that "we should understand Ireland better, instead of considering it Dorset-with-a-different-accent". You seem to be accusing me of adopting the position I was deprecating.
    Dorset and Ireland (north and south) have completely different accents.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Chill pal! It's of no significance. My offence was fake (like my Dorset accent) :smile:
  • Options
    Jeffrey Archer: I’d vote for Jeremy Corbyn if I lived in the North

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/jeffrey-archer-vote-jeremy-corbynif-lived-north/
  • Options
    A new TSE to make sense of it?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    edited September 2018

Absolutely. In my last year before retirement working for a large retail bank I had the chance to co-sponsor the roll-out of MHFA training across our IT division. It was one of the projects I was most proud of in 38 years service.

It's sobering to reflect on those UK suicide rates per 100,000 when working for an organisation of circa 100,000 employees... And of course many higher numbers of people are affected by stress, depression, addiction, etc.

I suspect and hope that it will soon become de rigeur for organisations to operate a comprehensive mental health support programme.

Thank you for doing that - I am sure many have benefited from it. It is a small amount of money for the benefits it will generate.

From what I have been told bereavement is one of the biggest areas that MHFAs deal with. And it is something that many businesses really do fail with at the moment.
  • Options
    Spanish-speaking Taco Bell worker fired for refusing English-speaker

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45535948

I have to question why anybody would be going to a Taco-Bell in the first place...
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Agreed on both counts. Reckon May is okay. Sort of a decent Tory mother-in-law. A good person. Not worth hating.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679
    Anazina said:

Agreed on both counts. Reckon May is okay. Sort of a decent Tory mother-in-law. A good person. Not worth hating.
    Never could stand her myself, and she has not improved with time.

• Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Never could stand her myself, and she has not improved with time.

When not grandstanding she strikes me as okay.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Spanish-speaking Taco Bell worker fired for refusing English-speaker

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45535948

I have to question why anybody would be going to a Taco-Bell in the first place...

African American English speaker in Miami.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

viewcode said:

While I'm not as happy as you about it, the tendency of young women to self-harm via cutting or anorexia is something that really needs addressing. Some of the stories are horrific. We eliminated smoking (near-as-dammit) via a 50yr health program and constant pressure, and something similar here for self-harm would be good.

Yes, the mental health of a disturbingly large number of young people is a national (and probably international) crisis. It's one of the curious things that as a society we pride ourselves on supposedly treating children much better than was the case 50 years ago, yet on every objective measure (the clearest being teenage suicide, which isn't really subject to differential rates of diagnosis or definition), we seem to produce much worse outcomes.
    It is not just young people. It is a health crisis affecting all ages. Part of the rise is down to better awareness of certain conditions and thus more accurate reporting. But it does appear to be a growing crisis and one where treatment options can be limited. The NHS has a clear focus on CBT as the preferred talking therapy and a limited number of drugs. If you find that these don't work for you, the pathways to treatment often don't exist unless you have a very dedicated GP or consultant. Even then, it is a struggle.

We need a lot more research into all mental health conditions. A lot. We aren't even close to understanding things yet.
    It's a more uncertain and complicated world. Less job security, more expensive housing, more debt less stability in relationships, social media rather than face to face communication more family breakdown, young men less certain of their role and more debt. Lots of factors but life was perhaps simpler in the past.
  • Options
    The Currant Bun says the GRU agents who poisoned half of Salisbury hired a hooker...I don't remember Jame Bond ever having to pay for it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2018
    Days since Labour antisemitism problem....0....

Harpreet Singh ranted on Facebook that Israel should be ‘wiped off the planet’ and ‘of course we hate Jews’. Of the Labour leader he wrote: ‘God bless Jeremy Corbyn. He is a modern day saint. And I mean it. If one of your loved ones was at the mercy of Israel, you would feel his morality, his conviction & his commitment to The Truth.’

The 48-year-old, a former head of maths at Sandye Place Academy in Bedfordshire, was suspended from his job after colleagues reported him. He was banned from teaching anywhere in England by the Teaching Regulation Agency after being found guilty of unacceptable professional conduct over the ‘offensive/racist comments

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6172431/New-anti-Semitism-row-Labour-candidate-hoping-oust-Boris-Johnson-MP.html
  • Options

Lenina: Your tone is quasi-facetious. Taco Bell is the only restaurant to survive the Franchise Wars.
    John: So?
    Lenina: Now all restaurants are Taco Bell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cF6D8zDa9U

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

Mordaunt @ 33 is screaming value; if she makes the last two the members will go for her in droves, also ticks the military background a certain type of tory likes.

It's "military" background in her case as being Sub Lt (2IC Photocopiers) on Whale Island doesn't exactly make her Cunningham. It's a good point though; the only time your average aged tory member can raise a better than indifferent erection is in the presence of somebody with shiny buttons.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It's "military" background in her case as being Sub Lt (2IC Photocopiers) on Whale Island doesn't exactly make her Cunningham. It's a good point though; the only time your average aged tory member can raise a better than indifferent erection is in the presence of somebody with shiny buttons.
    The whole back story is sellable, her father serving in the paras, how she looked after the younger brother after the tragic early death of her mother. Her working class background, first person in her family to go to university etc. The social mobility thing works.

There's no desire for another posho tory leader, a leaver with a working class background ticks a lot of boxes.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Sandpit said:
    Request from a house seller: kindly refrain from spreading this suggestion. At least till I’ve sold my flat. TIA.
    +1
This discussion has been closed.