Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Richard Nabavi on the US Senate elections

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Corbyn Labour maybe, Remainers like Umunna may vote with May if any deal is largely single market and customs union in all but name as is likely rather than vote with Mogg, Boris and the ERG against May and effectively for No Deal
    Any Labour MP who votes with the Government on what is effectively a VOC and a GE should be immediately deselected.

Surely even Chukka cant be that stupid unless he would rather have a Tory BREXIT than a Thornberry/ Starmer one
    How do you get to an election even if deal falls
    You only get an election if suffient members of the government benches cross the floor, to vote against their own parties in an explicit vote of no cofidence. Twice.
  • Options
    If the deal is voted down, then I think there are two possibilities:

1. We leave with no deal at all: chaos, which would clearly be blamed on those who voted down the deal.

2. The government decides that it will have to ask for an extension to Article 50 (which presumably would be granted, although one can't be 100% sure of that). That would almost certainly be the subject of a vote in parliament, which would surely pass with Labour support (if not, back to scenario 1)..

But, once Article 50 has been extended, there's no urgency for a GE.
  • Options

Are there markets on an A50 extension?

Now, that's a very good question.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Corbyn Labour maybe, Remainers like Umunna may vote with May if any deal is largely single market and customs union in all but name as is likely rather than vote with Mogg, Boris and the ERG against May and effectively for No Deal
    Any Labour MP who votes with the Government on what is effectively a VOC and a GE should be immediately deselected.

Surely even Chukka cant be that stupid unless he would rather have a Tory BREXIT than a Thornberry/ Starmer one
    If May fails to get Chequers through what is plan B

I dont think there is one without a GE do you?
    True, but there isn't one with a GE either.
    Why whats the result?

A majority Lab Government or one with like minded SNP support would undoubtedly get a soft BREXIT like the one BigG TSE and you want through IMO
    By the 29th March - and the idea SNP will work for any kind of Brexit is fantasy
    Getting a May plan passed by then is also Fantasy IMO.

Why do you think thats possible?
    If TM comes back with a deal and it passes we leave at the end of march. If she loses we still leave at the end of march
    Well, unless we don’t... are you assuming Parliament would just sit by and watch a no deal exit happen?
    Well I absolutely hope the HOC stops wto but not too sure how. I wait to see TM deal but if that falls I back a second referendun
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

If or when the HoC tells TM to stick her deal up her hole she will resign. The only way to resolve the ensuing political and economic crisis will be a GE. The country isn't going stand for a tory coronation and unelected PM considering they got us into this fucking mess in the first place.
    She won't resign. She'll seamlessly change direction. That is how she is.

What the country will or won't stand for means nothing in the context of the FTPA and the Cons holding their nerve.

Of course the country will be well and truly and well and truly and well and truly fucked but you know, that's just a by the by.
    the art of the reverse ferret
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    They will be voting for a GE to decide.

Its simple stuff.
    What is the Labour position on Brexit?

What will it be tomorrow?

They have had more than one position on a single day and impossible to count them all.

How did one of their mp's describe their ever so cunning plan?

oh that's right "utter bollocks"

Labour the Ratner of politics.
    FAKE NEWS

Its always been meet the Labour tests

From day1

Still is

Always has been
  • Options

1. We leave with no deal at all: chaos, which would clearly be blamed on those who voted down the deal.

2. The government decides that it will have to ask for an extension to Article 50 (which presumably would be granted, although one can't be 100% sure of that). That would almost certainly be the subject of a vote in parliament, which would surely pass with Labour support (if not, back to scenario 1)..

A50 will not be extended because there is no point. The EUs position is unreasonable and unacceptable but if they stick to it to the point of no deal, what is going to change? The problem is not a lack of time, it is that the EU have been led (thanks to the Remainers infulence) to insist on terms that can never be agreed. If we get to the end, we just have to accept the reality that there will not be an agreement.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2018
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    They will be voting for a GE to decide.

Its simple stuff.
    What is the Labour position on Brexit?

What will it be tomorrow?

They have had more than one position on a single day and impossible to count them all.

How did one of their mp's describe their ever so cunning plan?

oh that's right "utter bollocks"

Labour the Ratner of politics.
    They can't be the Ratner of politics....Ratner is a Jew....eller...
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Not sure about the allocation of blame. If the government went for option 1 it would have to work quite actively to prevent any kind of binding vote on alternative approaches taking place in Parliament. The government would own the no deal chaos.

If the government actively seeks an extension you’re probably right.

What about option 3: a no-confidence vote in Theresa May as Conservative party leader?
  • Options

A50 will not be extended because there is no point. The EUs position is unreasonable and unacceptable but if they stick to it to the point of no deal, what is going to change? The problem is not a lack of time, it is that the EU have been led (thanks to the Remainers infulence) to insist on terms that can never be agreed. If we get to the end, we just have to accept the reality that there will not be an agreement.
    No we do not and by the way, it is not your jobs on the line
  • Options

What would change is having enough time to prepare. There’s plenty of scope to disagree on how damaging no deal would be, but it must be obvious that the level of damage decreases as the amount of preparation time increases.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

The Electoral Commission let Vote Leave break EU referendum spending laws because the watchdog misinterpreted them, the High Court has ruled.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-45519676

BBC take on things.

Still managing to get "Vote Leave" and "breaking the law" in the same sentence. ;)
    That's because the High Court held that they did. The criticism of the Electoral Commission is that they showed far too much latitude to Vote Leave, not that it had unfairly penalised it. The case was brought by Remain supporters for that reason.
    The criticism is not that they showed too much latitude to Vote Leave, but that they misled them (and then had the gall to fine them for following the advice they themselves had given).

If they hadn't misled them, Vote Leave wouldn't have broken the law.

This mess is 100% the fault of the Electoral Commission.
    It's too much to hope for any consistency from the Leave side, but they have seamlessly executed a volte face today. This was what Matthew Elliott said previously:

https://news.sky.com/story/vote-leave-broke-campaign-spending-rules-says-electoral-commission-11425636

"They've listened to these, quite frankly marginal characters who came out in March, and listened to their stories, but haven't had evidence from Vote Leave side of things.

"I think it is a huge breach of natural justice that they haven't wanted to listen to our opinions and our story and we were the people running the campaign.

"We are the people who could give them the facts, rather than basing all their opinion on the fantasists."

He's spinning rather a different story today.
    Is he? The court has vindicated Vote Leave's claim that they merely followed Electoral Commission advice, and the judgement was absolutely scathing about the EC's argument that it wasn't really advice.

OK, in strict legal terms it might be that Vote Leave were under an obligation to realise that the Electoral Commission are a load of half-wits who couldn't correctly interpret the law they were supposed to be guardians of, but it is a clear breach of natural justice for them (let alone little one-man-and-no-dog BeLeave) to be punished for it.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Morning all :)

We've had political flirtations with both "business" people and "military" people for some time. Go back far enough and most leading politicians had military careers - Attlee was a Major in WW1 and both Heath and Healey were WW2 officers to name but three.

As time has progressed, the path from military service to a political life has diminished, the obvious exceptions being Paddy Ashdown and Iain Duncan-Smith both of whom get plenty of stick on here these days.

The "business" phase was more from the 1990s and led to Archie Norman being regarded at one time as the great hope of the Conservatives because he had run ASDA. We see Trump and Berlusconi as examples of "business" people moving into politics but that is in different political cultures.

I've always been wary of assuming success in business translates into success in politics. I remember Richard Branson coming over as diffident and unimpressive on election night in 1997. I wonder if the skills for business where you can command, cajole and coerce don't translate well into a political world where you have to argue, persuade and convince.

In the public sector, I've seen private sector executives come into senior positions in County Councils and quickly realise they can't treat Councillors and fellow Officers the way they did in the private sector world.

Private sector executives are still accountable to shareholders
    In theory, of course. But not in practice.

And that has nothing to do with the way they treat people inn their everyday activities.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Polruan said:

The obvious way to avert it would be an extension of the A50 period which would probably get through with Labour support - unless Labour believed they could force a GE by voting that down too.

Does parliament need to vote for an extension? My understanding was that the UK PM and the leaders of the other member states can make it happen, and if they do the EU Withdrawal Act automatically postpones itself.
    I’m not sure - it would have to be pretty watertight or there would be some interesting Supreme Court cases the next day. Is that based on the text of the Withdrawal Act or general executive powers in relation to international treaties?
    Looking it up I think I'm wrong - the withdrawal act fixes the date of "exit day" and doesn't seem to say what happens if exit day gets extended. So I guess if you have an extension without going back to parliament and amending it the EU thinks the UK is still a member but the UK thinks it's left, which sounds like a pretty good solution to the whole thing...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2018
    Polruan said:

Not sure about the allocation of blame. If the government went for option 1 it would have to work quite actively to prevent any kind of binding vote on alternative approaches taking place in Parliament. The government would own the no deal chaos.

What about option 3: a no-confidence vote in Theresa May as Conservative party leader?
    Option 3 would no doubt happen, but it's hard to see what difference it would make other than a new face. The same parliamentary arithmetic, and the same split in the Conservative Party, and the same positioning of the EU27, and the same need to avoid a Corbyn/McDonnell government, would all still apply.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

The obvious way to avert it would be an extension of the A50 period which would probably get through with Labour support - unless Labour believed they could force a GE by voting that down too.

Does parliament need to vote for an extension? My understanding was that the UK PM and the leaders of the other member states can make it happen, and if they do the EU Withdrawal Act automatically postpones itself.
    I’m not sure - it would have to be pretty watertight or there would be some interesting Supreme Court cases the next day. Is that based on the text of the Withdrawal Act or general executive powers in relation to international treaties?
    Looking it up I think I'm wrong - the withdrawal act fixes the date of "exit day" and doesn't seem to say what happens if exit day gets extended. So I guess if you have an extension without going back to parliament and amending it the EU thinks the UK is still a member but the UK thinks it's left, which sounds like a pretty good solution to the whole thing...
    I thought there was a big big argument about fixing the exit day by statutory instrument. Can't remember who won though
  • Options
    Just consider that the EU and TM have agreed a deal and at the November conference TM, Donald Tusk and Juncker hold a joint press conference to announce the successful end of negotiations and that everyone considers the deal good for UK and good for the EU. Macron and Merkel also endorse the agreement. Businesses Europe wide send their congratulations to all concerned. The market and pound surges, Jaguar Land Rover and Airbus are delighted and relieved.

And in all this labour say they will vote down the deal

Just think of the politics of it
  • Options

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

I thought there was a big big argument about fixing the exit day by statutory instrument. Can't remember who won though
    It's section 20(4) as referred to in Schedule 7 para 14 - the SI must be "approved" by parliament. Not fully sure but I don't think approval needs a vote, but maybe the opposition could force one.

• Options

Just consider that the EU and TM have agreed a deal and at the November conference TM, Donald Tusk and Juncker hold a joint press conference to announce the successful end of negotiations and that everyone considers the deal good for UK and good for the EU. Macron and Merkel also endorse the agreement. Businesses Europe wide send their congratulations to all concerned. The market and pound surges, Jaguar Land Rover and Airbus are delighted and relieved.

Yep, spot-on.
  • Options

Reminds me of Donald Trump in the debates. - I don't have an opinion on the issue but when I do it'll be the right one
  • Options

Also when the other option is no-deal. If labour somehow find themselves manufacturing and being the midwife of that it'll be the mother of all meltdowns,
  • Options

Polruan said:

Option 3 would no doubt happen, but it's hard to see what difference it would make other than a new face. The same parliamentary arithmetic, and the same split in the Conservative Party, and the same positioning of the EU27, and the same need to avoid a Corbyn/McDonnell government, would all still apply.
    Not if there's a fresh election.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,310

Yep, spot-on.
    Joe Public doesn't know or care about the importance of "The Deal". They will be told that it is the wrong deal by Labour and that position will attract any number of supporters from all sides of the argument.

Labour's raison d'etre is not to congratulate the Tories on a job well done, it is to argue that the Tories have fundamentally mishandled the running of the country and with Labour in charge, that will be put right. Labour voting for a Conservative deal would be abdicating their role as the Opposition.

If anyone doesn't get this simple political reality then I despair.
  • Options

Yep. Labour are playing with fire if they vote against the deal - for what look like little more than petty party advantage reasons - on such an important subject. It would make more sense for them to abstain.
  • Options

The problem with that is that any such deal would not be accepted by a large chunk of the Tory party - so May wouldn’t have agreed it in the first place... though it is an interesting thought to consider whether she can brazen it out by pretending a BINO deal is basically Chequers and trying to bounce her party into accepting it. Wouldn’t she be defenstrated at the first hint she was going to try and play that game?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yep, spot-on.
    Joe Public doesn't know or care about the importance of "The Deal". They will be told that it is the wrong deal by Labour and that position will attract any number of supporters from all sides of the argument.

Labour's raison d'etre is not to congratulate the Tories on a job well done, it is to argue that the Tories have fundamentally mishandled the running of the country and with Labour in charge, that will be put right. Labour voting for a Conservative deal would be abdicating their role as the Opposition.

Wait to see what the deal and when decide upon it.

Revolutionary idea I know.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

The problem with that is that any such deal would not be accepted by a large chunk of the Tory party - so May wouldn’t have agreed it in the first place... though it is an interesting thought to consider whether she can brazen it out by pretending a BINO deal is basically Chequers and trying to bounce her party into accepting it. Wouldn’t she be defenstrated at the first hint she was going to try and play that game?
    Frankly the only things on the table are No-deal/BINO/No-Leave at this point.

Pays your money, takes your choice.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

We being Australia I assume. Because you’re evading the consequences.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Frankly the only things on the table are No-deal/BINO/No-Leave at this point.

Pays your money, takes your choice.
    AKA Mad Max/Vassal State/Remain.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Yep, spot-on.

Wait to see what the deal and when decide upon it.

Revolutionary idea I know.
    The Opposition is mandated to say "I wouldn't have started from there". It doesn't matter whether the deal is good or not. It is good in the opinion of the Tories and they are wrong about everything.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Scott_P said:
    And to think Theresa May and her Remain supporters seriously trusted Jezza to save her...

Fools! :D
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,618
    edited September 2018

"we just have to..."

Because... ?
    (Hint, we are not all living in your 'reality'.)
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    TOPPING said:

Of course they will say it's a rotten deal and that they would have done far better. And of course if it were safe to vote against it they would.

It's a different matter actively torpedoing it, giving rise to the scenario BigG outlined, and doing so by siding with Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nigel Farage.

(And that's without even considering the other parties, and the sane Labour MP party-within-a-party).
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    And to think Theresa May and her Remain supporters seriously trusted Jezza to save her...

Fools! :D
    The second line implies that this is just a power play by Labour, with the aim of getting May out.

The reality of a crash-out Brexit compared to a withdrawal-Brexit is that Labour must support the latter over the former.

At the moment there is the possibility of something else but it is fast disappearing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Excellent! Funny from either side of the Brexit divide.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Defenstrated by who - ERG do not have the numbers. It was interesting that the daily mail today questioned their finances and seem to have turned their fire on them presumably because of the change of editor.

I see no problem with TM signing a deal subject to approval as indeed would the EU with their member states. There will come a time for the deal to be announced and it is not going to be in the form of a no 10 press briefing.

It will be a huge staged event beamed worldwide for our Australian friends benefit of course
  • Options

Are there markets on an A50 extension?

Now, that's a very good question.
    I would be happy to back "no extension" @ 1/2 for reasonable stakes.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

One thing I am noting, is that there seems to be a remarkable correlation with what people want to happen, and what they predict will happen if May's deal is voted down.

I wonder if this will lead to more people being willing to risk it, and chaos afterwards? I do think the first priority would be an A50 extension in these circumstances; the country would be so disunited and ungovernable in the short term that there would be no real path to an orderly exit, even under no deal, in March.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Defenstrated by who - ERG do not have the numbers. It was interesting that the daily mail today questioned their finances and seem to have turned their fire on them presumably because of the change of editor.

I see no problem with TM signing a deal subject to approval as indeed would the EU with their member states. There will come a time for the deal to be announced and it is not going to be in the form of a no 10 press briefing.

It will be a huge staged event beamed worldwide for our Australian friends benefit of course
    Cameron tried exactly the same strategy - agree to a crap deal and try and spin it. In his case that lasted two days. You can’t polish a turd.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Of course they will say it's a rotten deal and that they would have done far better. And of course if it were safe to vote against it they would.

It's a different matter actively torpedoing it, giving rise to the scenario BigG outlined, and doing so by siding with Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nigel Farage.

(And that's without even considering the other parties, and the sane Labour MP party-within-a-party).
    The ERG come out worse in that scenario (and rightly so). What on earth am I* doing supporting the Labour Party (especially Jezza's Labour Party) if it is going to vote with the effing government.

*rhetorical device, obvs.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

One thing I am noting, is that there seems to be a remarkable correlation with what people want to happen, and what they predict will happen if May's deal is voted down.

I wonder if this will lead to more people being willing to risk it, and chaos afterwards? I do think the first priority would be an A50 extension in these circumstances; the country would be so disunited and ungovernable in the short term that there would be no real path to an orderly exit, even under no deal, in March.
    Wouldn't an extension to Article 50 require unanimous agreement from the EU27? That sounds tricky. Unanimity isn't easy to achieve, and everyone will want their pound of flesh. They may also not want to drag the process out any longer than necessary.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Anyone remember Labour voting against Maastricht even though they actually supported it!

You can NEVER trust Labour if they think they can orchestrate a scenario that that's get them into power.

Theresa, Hammond and Robbins are fools for thinking they could...
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The ERG come out worse in that scenario (and rightly so). What on earth am I* doing supporting the Labour Party (especially Jezza's Labour Party) if it is going to vote with the effing government.

This is the point I've made several times. I know there are sometimes strange bed-fellows in politics, but this one would be really weird: Vince Cable Chukka Umunna, Keir Starrmer and the SNP trooping through the lobbies to support Jacob Rees-Mogg, Andrea Jenkyns, Boris, and Peter Bone in their attempt to kill off a sensible deal, with an immediate and dramatic economic result and market reaction.

Not saying it can't happen, but I don't think it's a likely scenario. I suspect there might be some strategic abstentions, with MP after MP standing up to say 'I don't like this deal, but since the alternative is chaos I won't vote against it.'
  • Options

Polruan said:

Cameron tried exactly the same strategy - agree to a crap deal and try and spin it. In his case that lasted two days. You can’t polish a turd.
    In this case it will be the UK and the EU promoting it as a success and very many thousands of voters will be relieved. Of course die hard remainers and brexiteers will be upset but they do not command majority support amongst the electorate
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

tpfkar said:

Wouldn't an extension to Article 50 require unanimous agreement from the EU27? That sounds tricky. Unanimity isn't easy to achieve, and everyone will want their pound of flesh. They may also not want to drag the process out any longer than necessary.
    Yep. But "tricky" will probably look quite mild compared to the descriptions of the other options then.

One thing I wouldn't discount is that the ERG find an excuse to vote for the deal en masse. Labour will surely vote against not least to trigger a GE, and the ERG may ultimately have to suck it up at risk of losing any brexit at all.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Turns out the electoral commission isn't infallible. Who'd have thunk it? :smiley:
  • Options
    I don't think anyone could know for sure what the consquences of whatever deal is decided being voted down would be.

That makes it both an opportunity and a terrible terrible risk, for all parties.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Anyone remember Labour voting against Maastricht even though they actually supported it!

You can NEVER trust Labour if they think they can orchestrate a scenario that that's get them into power.

Labour dropped there support for Maastricht when Major got the social chapter opt out I think. I'm not saying it was especially principled, but there was a point.

Also it's the governments job to get this legislation through. They have a parliamentary majority (with the DUP). BREXIT is a Tory party mess of their own making. It's the pottery barn rule, 'you break it, you pay for it'.
  • Options
    A senior Scotland Yard officer could face the sack for alleged racist language after using the phrase “whiter than white” in a briefing to colleagues.

He could face an internal investigation for gross misconduct — the most serious disciplinary offence. Sources said the detective superintendent addressed colleagues about the need to be faultless and above reproach in carrying out inquiries, saying that they needed to be “whiter than white”.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/senior-met-officer-could-face-the-sack-for-using-whiter-than-white-phrase-a3936041.html

While insensitive its hardly a sacking offence.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

This is the point I've made several times. I know there are sometimes strange bed-fellows in politics, but this one would be really weird: Vince Cable Chukka Umunna, Keir Starrmer and the SNP trooping through the lobbies to support Jacob Rees-Mogg, Andrea Jenkyns, Boris, and Peter Bone in their attempt to kill off a sensible deal, with an immediate and dramatic economic result and market reaction.

Not saying it can't happen, but I don't think it's a likely scenario. I suspect there might be some strategic abstentions, with MP after MP standing up to say 'I don't like this deal, but since the alternative is chaos I won't vote against it.'
    If ever there was a party that put tribal loyalty over what's best for the country, it's Labour though.
    They're not exactly Nick Clegg circa 2010.
  • Options

A senior Scotland Yard officer could face the sack for alleged racist language after using the phrase “whiter than white” in a briefing to colleagues.

He could face an internal investigation for gross misconduct — the most serious disciplinary offence. Sources said the detective superintendent addressed colleagues about the need to be faultless and above reproach in carrying out inquiries, saying that they needed to be “whiter than white”.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/senior-met-officer-could-face-the-sack-for-using-whiter-than-white-phrase-a3936041.html

It's got nothing to do with race though.

I'd bet next month's mortgage payment that its etymology is based upon notions of cleanliness being white (as in laundry, sheets, shirts, etc).

As such Scotland Yard is guilty of craven virtue signalling.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Labour dropped there support for Maastricht when Major got the social chapter opt out I think. I'm not saying it was especially principled, but there was a point.

Also it's the governments job to get this legislation through. They have a parliamentary majority (with the DUP). BREXIT is a Tory party mess of their own making. It's the pottery barn rule, 'you break it, you pay for it'.
    Oh I'm not criticizing. You have to admire Labour and Corbyn for going for the "kill" - I'm criticizing foolish Thresa and her Remain supporters in the Tory for thinking they wouldn't.

Turns out she might, just might, need the Brexiteers she's betrayed after-all. :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If ever there was a party that put tribal loyalty over what's best for the country, it's Labour though.
    They're not exactly Nick Clegg circa 2010.

That's complicated by the fact that Labour is in civil war, though.
  • Options

Really focussing on the most important issues of the day, aren't they.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Couldn't happen? Just look at the starting line-ups of the Leave vs Remain teams in the actual referendum campaign.

This has transcended Party politics. Bollocks to house building and social care.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

You keep on saying this as though Labour's whole purpose isn't to "orchestrate a scenario that gets them into power".
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited September 2018

One thing I wouldn't discount is that the ERG find an excuse to vote for the deal en masse. Labour will surely vote against not least to trigger a GE, and the ERG may ultimately have to suck it up at risk of losing any brexit at all.

This.

Tory loyalty will come to the fore in order to keep JC away from No 10. The ERG will surmise that a deal that ensures we leave next March is better than the risk of not leaving and/or JC in No 10.

Once we are out, then the deal can be "finessed" more to their liking.

It's a tightrope though for TM and the whips... mislay a handful of votes and the whole thing crashes and burns.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Couldn't happen? Just look at the starting line-ups of the Leave vs Remain teams in the actual referendum campaign.

This has transcended Party politics. Bollocks to house building and social care.
    Bollocks to house building and social care.

hardly your usual "let them eat cake" Mr T
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That still relies on MPs accepting the government’s narrative that the alternative is chaos though. MPs can reasonably say “we are rejecting this because it’s rubbish and insisting you return with a better proposal”.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I agree it transcends party politics, but that supports my point. Defeating May's deal (assuming there is one!) would involve collusion between extreme Brexiteers and Continuity Remainers, who would be hoping to trigger diametrically opposite consequences by trashing it.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, my fellow Myrmidons.

Just curious, as the nun said to the netball team, but do any PBers ever go in for gambling on cards? I mean playing poker, blackjack etc against other people (in person or online), as opposed to 'casino gambling' against bookies' computer algorithms.
  • Options
    If Theresa May's government falls in the next few weeks can someone make her do the "walk of shame" down the Chequers drive and then go home in a taxi? :D
  • Options
    Polruan said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That still relies on MPs accepting the government’s narrative that the alternative is chaos though. MPs can reasonably say “we are rejecting this because it’s rubbish and insisting you return with a better proposal”.
    Again on the asumption there would be a better proposal. Why and how? The EU would already have even more of an upper hand and use the defeated prosposal as a starting point to get a better one for them, not a worse one.

Assumping it's not a take it or leave it in the first place.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Christ, that phrase comes up at my work quite a lot.
  • Options

Just curious, as the nun said to the netball team, but do any PBers ever go in for gambling on cards? I mean playing poker, blackjack etc against other people (in person or online), as opposed to 'casino gambling' against bookies' computer algorithms.

There's a poker group in my local on Monday evenings. As I can never see who the mug round the table is, I avoid participation.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Former Trump campaign boss Paul Manafort has agreed to plead guilty in a deal with to resolve charges filed by special counsel Robert Mueller, but it is not clear if he will cooperate with prosecutors against President Donald Trump, court documents filed Friday indicate.

Manafort, who was set to begin jury selection for a second federal criminal trial next Monday, was charged in a superseding criminal information in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.

That charging document alleges Manafort engaged in a conspiracy involving money laundering, tax fraud, failing to report foreign bank accounts, violating rules requiring registration of foreign agents, lying and witness tampering.

(CNBC)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I remember when Tony Blair and Ali Campbell conducted an entire campaign around Tony being "whiter then white" while John Major was engulfed in "sleeze"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It includes the forfeiture of $46m of assets, apparently - though how much difference that will make to him, given that he's supposed to be technically bankrupt, is moot.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Rhetorical device, Alan, rhetorical device. It is how politics is being run these days. I happen to think house building and social care and cakes all very important.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I agree it transcends party politics, but that supports my point. Defeating May's deal (assuming there is one!) would involve collusion between extreme Brexiteers and Continuity Remainers, who would be hoping to trigger diametrically opposite consequences by trashing it.
    Well it should involve all non-Conservative/DUP MPs. What the Cons do is up to them. If the ERG want to defeat the government then they will be the useful idiots for Lab.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Former Trump campaign boss Paul Manafort has agreed to plead guilty in a deal with to resolve charges filed by special counsel Robert Mueller, but it is not clear if he will cooperate with prosecutors against President Donald Trump, court documents filed Friday indicate.

Manafort, who was set to begin jury selection for a second federal criminal trial next Monday, was charged in a superseding criminal information in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.

That charging document alleges Manafort engaged in a conspiracy involving money laundering, tax fraud, failing to report foreign bank accounts, violating rules requiring registration of foreign agents, lying and witness tampering.

(CNBC)
    So witches do exist, after all ?
  • Options

Only occasionally, at bridge. But the stipulation is that participants cannot be sober.
  • Options

I usually play poker with a group of friends once a month or so. We make a point of playing for small stakes and treat it as a social occasion with pizza and beer, no-one ever goes home having lost more than about £20. Used to play a bit online when it was a fad, but that was easy to lose a lot of money if you weren’t careful.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Rhetorical device, Alan, rhetorical device. It is how politics is being run these days. I happen to think house building and social care and cakes all very important.
    It would be nice if just once this century the Tories could get their shit together and present a united front with a pragmatic manifesto

Unrealistic, I know
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

You're in the laundry detergent business ?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

As a manifesto title, it might be less than effective.
    But it's certainly catchy.
  • Options

Is it even insensitive? That's the third one this week, following Chuka's "Call off the dogs" and Boris's "Suicide Vest"
  • Options
    Who sees his true-love in her naked bed,
    Teaching the sheets a whiter hue than white,
    But, when his glutton eye so full hath fed,
    His other agents aim at like delight?
    Who is so faint, that dare not be so bold
    To touch the fire, the weather being cold?

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2018
    New Electoral Calculus forecast based on August polls:
    Con 290
    Lab 278
    LD 16
    SNP 44
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html
  • Options
    Mr. Pubgoer, not to mention I think it's doubtful booze enhances gambling prowess.

Mr. B, gasp! Heaping sin upon sin.

Never played bridge.

Mr. Sandpit, aye, imagine it would be (although it's equally easy to lose at F1, as I have aptly demonstrated this year).
  • Options
    edited September 2018

It's got nothing to do with race though...
    Doesn't it ?

The likely origin of the phrase certainly referred to skin tone...

Who sees his true-love in her naked bed,
    Teaching the sheets a whiter hue than white,
    But, when his glutton eye so full hath fed,
    His other agents aim at like delight?
    Who is so faint, that dare not be so bold
    To touch the fire, the weather being cold?

(Wm Shakespeare)

Though, to be fair, there's also an indirect reference to the laundry business in there, too.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

tpfkar said:

Yep. But "tricky" will probably look quite mild compared to the descriptions of the other options then.

What you wouldn't discount is my expectation.
  • Options

What kiboshes Corbyn's intention to vote against is that it's only the Withdrawal Agreement that will have been decided (hopefully). The future trade deal is kicked into the long grass and so Labour's famed tests do not apply.

We withdraw into the transition period, which is identical to the status quo, except that we lose our seat at the table. The real crunch point then moves to December 2020, but of course we are already out of the EU by then, so the fantasy Remain options, such as rescinding Article 50, no longer apply. We can still fall off the edge of a cliff though, after December 2020.
  • Options

Is it insensitive because the phrase is most associated with an alleged war criminal? ;)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Sweden remains in political limbo after all votes counted
    One-seat margin separates two established blocs, with far right waiting in the wings"
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/14/sweden-remains-in-political-limbo-after-all-votes-counted
  • Options

What kiboshes Corbyn's intention to vote against is that it's only the Withdrawal Agreement that will have been decided (hopefully). The future trade deal is kicked into the long grass and so Labour's famed tests do not apply.

We withdraw into the transition period, which is identical to the status quo, except that we lose our seat at the table. The real crunch point then moves to December 2020, but of course we are already out of the EU by then, so the fantasy Remain options, such as rescinding Article 50, no longer apply. We can still fall off the edge of a cliff though, after December 2020.
    Do you really think that'll stop them? They'll vote it down if they want to regardless.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

You're in the laundry detergent business ?
    Not quite.
  • Options

There is a lot of speculation at the moment but the reality is that once a deal is agreed the debate will move on very, very quickly.

Its similar to how May called an election. Prior to the election being called there'd been all sorts of speculations about how an election could be called with the new Fixed Term Parliament Act, about how Parliament might vote, the potential for a vote of no confidence etc

Reality though is that the second an election was called we were in an election campaign. The requirement for a vote in Parliament became moot, the media agenda had already moved on before Labour even put out a press release.

This won't be exactly the same but is very similar. Once a deal is reached the agenda will rapidly move on and anyone left behind is going to look very silly.
  • Options
    Miss Vance, that's ****ing insane.

Firing someone for saying 'whiter than white' is just nuts.
  • Options

You're insensitive for using the words "insane" and "nuts". Please report to the nearest re-education camp after washing your mouth out with soap.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Really focussing on the most important issues of the day, aren't they.
    these are the people claiming they havent got enough officers and money.
  • Options

Is it even insensitive? That's the third one this week, following Chuka's "Call off the dogs" and Boris's "Suicide Vest"
    At a time when there’s a gang war going on, the murder rate is massively up and the police won’t chase thieves on bikes because the scrotes might get injured, it’s fair to say that the Metropolitan Police have got their priorities somewhat muddled up.
  • Options

Gross misconduct, no less. The most serious of the disciplinary actions that they could take.
  • Options

There is a lot of speculation at the moment but the reality is that once a deal is agreed the debate will move on very, very quickly.

Its similar to how May called an election. Prior to the election being called there'd been all sorts of speculations about how an election could be called with the new Fixed Term Parliament Act, about how Parliament might vote, the potential for a vote of no confidence etc

Reality though is that the second an election was called we were in an election campaign. The requirement for a vote in Parliament became moot, the media agenda had already moved on before Labour even put out a press release.

This won't be exactly the same but is very similar. Once a deal is reached the agenda will rapidly move on and anyone left behind is going to look very silly.
    Hey, the sunlit uplands are back.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Fancy getting blackballed over a remark like that.
  • Options
    This is the new Manafort document, detailing his wicked ways:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4883087/Manafort-DC-Superseding-Criminal-Information.pdf

But didn't we know all this already? It's all about his lobbying activities for various Ukrainian clients, and tax evasion.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, not to mention the acid attacks.

Mr. Thompson, that's the way PC bullshit is leading us. This reminds me a bit of South Yorkshire Police wanting to be informed of non-crime hate incidents. If they paid more attention to non-hate crimes the police might have more respect.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fancy getting blackballed over a remark like that.
    Naughty :p
This discussion has been closed.